PDA

View Full Version : Could punter Britton Colquitt find himself back with the Broncos?

Lonestar
11-18-2009, 03:35 PM
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 11/18/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

Denver Broncos P Britton Colquitt (4) gets in some kick off time during camp Thursday, August 20, 2009 at Dove Valley. (John Leyba | The Denver Post)Today's question comes from Gary Rintel in New York City:

Q: Whatever happened to Britton Colquitt? And did the Broncos give him a tryout when they brought in the newest disappointing punter, Mitch Berger, for a look-see?

A: Gary, Colquitt has a live leg, which is why he has had a smattering of workouts around the league this season.

The Browns recently worked him out, with several others, when their punter, Dave Zastudil, was dealing with a hamstring injury. Scouts believe Colquitt has the leg strength to have a place in the league over the long term, and he certainly has the pedigree being in a family with such a history on the job.

But consistency, not just leg strength, is what keeps punters around. Like a fastball pitcher who has to pinpoint the pitch, a guy can't just blast the ball in the NFL. He has to put it where the coverage plan calls for it to go.

The returners are too good, the return schemes too well-practiced, to give a team too many chances for too many returns. The expectation would be if Colquitt continues to work on his game and maintains that leg strength, he could find a place in the league.

The Broncos, despite having Colquitt with the team through the offseason and training camp before releasing him before the start of the regular season, did have him in for another workout in September as they first contemplated making a move with Brett Kern.

When they released Kern, they signed Mitch Berger after working him out as well.

Berger is starting to round into form — the Broncos like the fact his net is 36.5 yards per punt, which is a couple of yards per punt better than what Kern's was — but he doesn't have the consistency yet.

Berger had a couple of big punts in Washington, and his net was just over 42 yards a punt for the game, which is good, but he also had a 16-yard punt in the third quarter of the game.

And he has already had six punts of 39 yards or shorter from his own territory — four against the Ravens to go with two against the Steelers — when trying to shorten the kick to pin a team down, which is not really an issue.

So those irregular kicks are still a concern and could certainly be a problem if they come at the inopportune times.

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13809738

KCL
11-18-2009, 03:41 PM
Was he that bad? I mean bad enough to release? I know his brother does a
good job.

rcsodak
11-18-2009, 04:17 PM
Was he that bad? I mean bad enough to release? I know his brother does a
good job.

Ummmm....maybe different expectations? :confused:

KCL
11-18-2009, 04:25 PM
Ummmm....maybe different expectations? :confused:

That's not an answer...and his brother is the best player we have on
ST...:lol:

Superchop 7
11-18-2009, 05:06 PM
I think the kid is a bit of a "gamer".

From my viewpoint, he was doing very well. Was putting the ball right where he wanted.

IMO Berger just doesn't have it anymore.

Kern is gone.

I would sign him, give him a shot.

SmilinAssasSin27
11-18-2009, 05:32 PM
Can't go wrong w/ another Vol.

Buff
11-18-2009, 05:45 PM

Horrible logic. Why would you cut a Colorado Buffalo for a freaking Vol?

:coffee:

Dman444
11-18-2009, 08:01 PM

Especially an alcoholic one. I've seen him ridiculously hammered on the strip more than a couple times.

Dman444
11-18-2009, 08:02 PM

Because the Buffs have been irrelevant since the early 90s!

Buff
11-18-2009, 08:11 PM
Because the Buffs have been irrelevant since the early 90s!

Post reported.

Dman444
11-18-2009, 08:35 PM
Post reported.

Haha, I don't know if you're kidding or not, but it's funny either way.

While I'm a Vols fan and alum, I've always rooted for the Buffs. One memory I have of them is when they played Nebraska, probably 10+ years ago, and were major underdogs and they just laid it on them.

I think they had a running back named Purify, he and another back ran wild on them, it was awesome because I've never like Nebraska.

Buff
11-18-2009, 08:41 PM
Haha, I don't know if you're kidding or not, but it's funny either way.

While I'm a Vols fan and alum, I've always rooted for the Buffs. One memory I have of them is when they played Nebraska, probably 10+ years ago, and were major underdogs and they just laid it on them.

I think they had a running back named Purify, he and another back ran wild on them, it was awesome because I've never like Nebraska.

62-36... The year was 2001 and that was pretty much the last time we were officially relevant. We at least went to a BCS bowl that year, but got blown out by Oregon and *cough*JoeyHarrington*cough*... It's been a downward spiral since then.

BroncoWave
11-18-2009, 08:48 PM
Remember back in the good ol days (about 4 weeks ago) when our weakness at punter was our biggest concern? Oh, how I long for those days!

Slick
11-18-2009, 08:53 PM
I agree with chop. Sign him. I know it's easy to say on the computer but I think 90% of us would have called him before Berger, and I bet the same percentage thought we would sign him when we cut Kern in the first place.

He is part of the family of kicking Colquitts. They have a history. it is in his blood.

BroncoWave
11-18-2009, 08:54 PM
I agree with chop. Sign him. I know it's easy to say on the computer but I think 90% of us would have called him before Berger, and I bet the same percentage thought we would sign him when we cut Kern in the first place.

He is part of the family of kicking Colquitts. They have a history. it is in his blood.

Kinda like quarterbacking is in Chris Simms' blood? ;)

Slick
11-18-2009, 08:56 PM
:lol:

But, Phil wasn't that good. His best day was against us in '86 unfortunately. I don't think he missed a single pass in the second half.

Lonestar
11-18-2009, 09:11 PM

But, Phil wasn't that good. His best day was against us in '86 unfortunately. I don't think he missed a single pass in the second half.

our defenses over the years after red miller left have made a great many mediocre QB's look like HOFers..

Dman444
11-18-2009, 09:23 PM
62-36... The year was 2001 and that was pretty much the last time we were officially relevant. We at least went to a BCS bowl that year, but got blown out by Oregon and *cough*JoeyHarrington*cough*... It's been a downward spiral since then.

It was an awesome game. But no worries, UT has been pretty mediocre for the past six years, coincidentally right when I got into school there... We went to a SEC championship, but we still didn't really deserve it.

It'd be nice to see CU finally do something, but I think they're in the same boat as A&M.

horsepig
11-18-2009, 10:10 PM

Phil had the same skill set as Orton.

Ziggy
11-18-2009, 11:13 PM
The biggest concerns about Colquitt coming out of college was attitude and character concerns. I don't know if that was an issue in training camp or not. Berger is rusty. I can understand wanting to give him some more time.

wbmustang
11-18-2009, 11:21 PM
I keep refreshing profootballtalk.com and broncosforums hoping to see a post or thread that berger has been cut. Sorry he is garbo and got's to go!

dogfish
11-18-2009, 11:31 PM

maybe because said CU buff is freakin' horrible?

:noidea:

SBboundBRONCOS
11-18-2009, 11:46 PM
Especially an alcoholic one. I've seen him ridiculously hammered on the strip more than a couple times.

who isnt ridiculously hammered on the strip hahaha

Overtime
11-19-2009, 12:49 AM
sign him. even a blind man with a broken leg could kick better than Berger.

Elevation inc
11-19-2009, 02:51 AM

maybe he lost all that good blood when he had his internal spleen injury...he did have internal bleeding so maybe his mojo blood is gone now....:laugh:

BCJ
11-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Hell, bring Kern in again. Berger makes kern look like a Pro Bowl.

Lonestar
11-19-2009, 02:36 PM
Hell, bring Kern in again. Berger makes kern look like a Pro Bowl.

Kern is currently leading TEN on a 3 game winning streak..

Dman444
11-19-2009, 03:09 PM

We'll call it the Kern Kicking Kurse, or KKK for short, oh wait...never mind.

CoachChaz
11-20-2009, 05:58 PM
It was an awesome game. But no worries, UT has been pretty mediocre for the past six years, coincidentally right when I got into school there... We went to a SEC championship, but we still didn't really deserve it.

It'd be nice to see CU finally do something, but I think they're in the same boat as A&M.

Except we've been mediocre for the last 12 years. We've won a Big 12 Conference Championship only once and that was in 1998. We're 2-10 in our last 12 bowl games dating back to when I went there in 1991. Now from 91-93, we were really good and won the SWC those 3 years, but we've pretty much sucked since then.

At least we have the excuse that we have to compete with media darlings UT when it comes to recruiting...and we lose a few to Tech and OU and surely will have TCU as competition as well now. That's been our biggest issue...just cant pay the top recruits as much as UT does

I miss Jackie Sherrill and R.C. Slocum

hotcarl
11-20-2009, 10:32 PM

Broncos with Kern: 6-0
Broncos without Kern: 0-3

Titans without Kern: 0-6
Titans with Kern: 3-0

Kern is undefeated