PDA

View Full Version : Broncos not fretting about potential repeat collapse

Lonestar
11-18-2009, 03:09 PM
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 11/18/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

There was The Drive and about nine or 10 subsequent versions of Drive II.

There was the Immaculate Reception and Brandon Stokley's Immaculate Deflection.

There was The Collapse of 2008 that resulted in the Great Upheaval at Dove Valley. And forgive the local football followers if they are worried, even outraged, the Broncos could be on the brink of Collapse II, having lost three consecutive games after a 6-0 start.

Veteran safety Brian Dawkins understands the fright and nervousness. He was with the Eagles last season, not the Broncos, but he is familiar with how a city can emotionally attach itself to the local football team.

Dawkins doesn't necessarily agree with such consternation because he believes this year's Broncos will grow stronger from their recent travails.

"I have been through valleys like this before," he said. "Everyone who's been in this league a while has.

"We've taken on some adversity. If you can get through adversity, it will strengthen you. It will form a thicker bond. I know we'll be fine, because I completely believe in the guys we have in that locker room."

Yet, with the Broncos playing San Diego on Sunday at Invesco Field at Mile High for the AFC West lead, there are too many coincidences between what happened last year, and what is happening now, for Broncos fans not to be concerned.

Starting with the Chargers. With three weeks left in the 2008 season, the Broncos were 8-5 and leading the 5-8 Chargers by three games.

The Broncos lost three in a row. The Chargers won their last three and also claimed the tiebreaker, thereby winning the AFC West. The Broncos became the first team in NFL history to lose a three-game lead with three to play.

In the final game of those diametrically opposite streaks, the Chargers destroyed the Broncos 52-21. Two days later, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen fired coach Mike Shanahan. Nothing at the team's Dove Valley headquarters would ever be the same.

Until the Broncos reached their bye week. After whipping the Chargers 34-23 on Oct. 19, the Broncos were 6-0 with a 3 1/2-game lead on 2-3 San Diego in the AFC West.

Today the Broncos are 6-3, having lost three in a row. The Chargers are 6-3, having won four straight.

And here come the Bolts again, saltshakers in hand, ready to rub those fresh Broncos wounds.

"A lot of guys here went through it last year," said Stokley, a veteran Denver receiver. "I think we have the leadership on this team to not worry about what happened last year, but learn from it. And the guys who weren't here know that no NFL season is going to be perfect without any adversity or any kind of fall, or anything like that. If you think that's going to happen, you're in the wrong business. It's not all roses and candy. It's going to have its ups and downs. Especially nowadays where it's a fine line between teams with good records and teams with not-so-good records."

The Broncos have 24 players on this year's team who endured The Collapse, including Ryan McBean, who was on the practice squad. The returnees, and the 29 new players on the Broncos' 53-man roster, don't expect to live through Collapse II.

"It's just a different team altogether," said Chris Simms, who might be the Broncos' starting quarterback Sunday if Kyle Orton's ankle doesn't come around. "This is a different group of guys, different coaching staff."

There is a big difference between the two circumstances too. This year, the Broncos have time to correct their three-game skid.

"I've been here before in Philadelphia," running back Correll Buckhalter said. "We lost a bunch going into the bye and then we lost like two more after that, and then we got on fire. So I've been here. It's just a matter of rallying together."

Indeed, the 2006 Eagles lost three in a row going into a bye week, then two of three coming out. They then won five in a row, and one more in the NFC playoffs.

These Broncos took a six-game winning streak into their bye week and have a three-game skid coming out. Buckhalter said the key to stopping a funk is remaining consistent. Stay with the plan, and eventually things will turn around.

"It happens," he said. "Happens all the time. Happens to most good teams. It's a must that we continue to prepare like we've been preparing so we can catch on fire again."

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13811748

Superchop 7
11-18-2009, 05:13 PM
The way they have been playing.......

I'd be extremely worried.

Collapse version 2.0

nevcraw
11-18-2009, 05:13 PM
they should be..

Northman
11-18-2009, 05:44 PM
Yea, i agree with the last two guys. I know this is a different coach and what not but there is still some of the same players here who if times get tough they may pack it in. I would be worried especially with our schedule. Hopefully thats not the case but as they say, show me dont tell me.

Nomad
11-18-2009, 06:06 PM
Obviously the leadership on the field is in question! If the BRONCOS can't be hyped up for this game and show the intensity they had in the first half of the season then I would be speechless and disappointed!

Lonestar
11-18-2009, 08:39 PM
Obviously the leadership on the field is in question! If the BRONCOS can't be hyped up for this game and show the intensity they had in the first half of the season then I would be speechless and disappointed!

I don't think the leadership on this squad should be questionable.. but, last years leaders are mostly are gone now..

while SAN may beat us with better players, might even be better coaching, (I say that only because Norv does know Offense for more years than Josh).

I certainly hope no one gives up like last year.. Dawkins, Doom and Orton do not strike me as that type..

I stilll think we are a year away.. learning new schemes and so many kiddies on the team..

let the best team win..

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
11-18-2009, 08:46 PM
Don't be ridiculous, Weapon X will not let this team collapse. Neither will Orton.

WARHORSE
11-18-2009, 10:18 PM
It is what it is. On any given sunday.........................

We have a tough schedule and playing great teams week in and week out will only help you. Better to have your weaknesses exposed by the really good teams in the regular season rather than in the playoffs and beyond.

Do your job.

horsepig
11-18-2009, 10:35 PM

Leadrership is great but, if you cannot hold your own on the LOS you're in trouble.

horsepig
11-18-2009, 10:39 PM
By the way, what is a 16 yard punt worth?

How about a 2 to3 minute drive with 2-3 first downs.