PDA

View Full Version : It wasn't all bad.

TXBRONC
08-28-2007, 08:42 AM
We talked about this elsewhere I think it bears repeating here about last Saturday's performance. While I'm not going whistle past the grave yard I'm going to throw in the towel either.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_6722162

Broncos slow to hit stride
Cutler: Team "not that far off"
By Mike Klis
Denver Post Staff Writer
Article Last Updated: 08/26/2007 01:49:31 AM MDT

Browns running back Jamal Lewis is stopped by a swarming Broncos defense, including linebacker Ian Gold (52). (Post / John Leyba)Related Articles
Aug 26:
Defense still not dominantWebster sets his big goal: ImproveKansas City hands starting QB job to HuardClassify this one as X-rated performanceContributions reach $15,000 for Williams "All Ready Fund"Chargers turn over new Leaf in draftQuinn puts heat on coachOver the spring and summer, as the Broncos were putting big names on paper, it appeared they were compiling their most talented roster yet.

"It was a fantasy team," Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler said Saturday night.

Then came the preseason, and that collection of big names was put on the field, and the fantasy team didn't seem so hot. Bad as the first- team Broncos looked at times during the preseason, including their 17-16 loss to Cleveland on a warm night at Invesco Field at Mile High, consolation comes in knowing any evaluation of their performance will not be worth the bother once the regular season begins in two weeks.

If the Broncos are to continue on with their belief their season will end with Super Bowl XLII, they want to repeat three times: It's only the preseason. It's only the preseason. It's only the preseason.
Faith must be taken wherever it becomes available.

Besides, the final preseason dry run wasn't all bad. Down 10-3 with less than two minutes remaining in the first half, Cutler needed just seven plays to lead the Broncos 80 yards for a game-tying touchdown.

There were other plays against the Browns when Cutler looked like a second-year quarterback with only five games of NFL experience. He telegraphed a pass or two. He started the game by fumbling the snap from center Tom Nalen - a supposedly rudimentary exercise that has been anything but since Cutler became the Broncos' starting quarterback last year.

But when it was time to get it done fast or not get it done at all, Cutler completed 4-of-4 passes for 44 yards, including a 2-yard touchdown flip to fullback Kyle Johnson. Cutler finished his first preseason as the Broncos' starting quarterback by completing 17-of-31 passes (54.8 percent) overall for 197 yards, one touchdown and no interceptions.

"We're not that far off," Cutler said. "I don't think we need to get all worried and flustered and panicked around

Football Fans!
The Denver Post invites you to share what you love about professional football. Is it the big hits? Playing through mud and muck? The vertical game? Broncomaniacs? The Black Hole? Submit your thoughts.
here. We've got to clean things up this week and get ready for the real thing. We're getting there."
The Broncos also underscored their reputation of being able to run the ball no matter who is carrying it. From Olandis Gary to Selvin Young, little- known running backs are known to have quality games when operating behind the Broncos' offensive line.

Against the Browns, the Broncos' two most proven tailbacks, Travis Henry and Mike Bell, were out nursing leg injuries.

Yet Cecil Sapp, who has played mostly fullback when he has played at all in his four previous NFL seasons, gained 54 yards on 11 carries. Young, an undrafted rookie from Texas, had 91 yards on 17 carries.

That's 145 combined yards, at 5.2 yards per rush, for the Sapp- Young duo. Afterward, Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said he thought Young appeared a step faster than everyone else on the field.

"From the outside looking in, it's the coach," Young said, referring to Shanahan and running backs coach Bobby Turner. "Coach Turner has been here through every one of those running backs. He's just got a gift for the way he coaches.

"I came in off the street. And like (Shanahan) said, I was a step quicker and so well prepared. That may be the edge, Coach Turner and Mr. Shana- han working together in the backfield."

Young also scored what appeared to be a game-tying touchdown with 2:56 remaining but because Shanahan wasn't about to play overtime

Show Us Your Stuff!

The Denver Post invites you to share snapshots you have taken of Broncos or of you and your loved ones expressing your love for the team. Simply click here.
in a preseason game, he went for the two-point conversion. It failed, but perhaps an injury was avoided by not playing an extra quarter.
Another encouraging element from the first-team's final test: The defense finally showed glimpses of understanding the new system of new coach Jim Bates.

Staff writer Mike Klis can be reached at 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com.

hotcarl
09-07-2012, 10:01 PM
great analysis, didnt read a single word, but the wall of text looks SPOT ON. keep up the good work, everyone. T to the I to the mutha flippin A. (flippin = ******* as in i am going to **** the SHIT out of your mother ******* MOTHER MOTHER ******)