PDA

View Full Version : Heimerdinger leaving Broncos to be Titans offensive coordinator

Stand Ablaze
01-16-2008, 10:29 PM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jan/16/titans-might-pursue-broncos-top-offensive-aide/

By Jeff Legwold, Rocky Mountain News

The Titans have their new offensive coordinator in Mike Heimerdinger and the Broncos now have an opening on their staff.

There were several discussions Wednesday and according to sources a deal should be finalized by Thursday for Heimerdinger to return to the Titans. A formal announcement will come as soon as Thursday or Friday.

Heimerdinger could not be reached for comment Wednesday night.

The Broncos formally granted the Titans permission to talk to Heimerdinger on Wednesday morning and the talks quickly gained speed from there.

Early Wednesday Mike Shanahan said in a statement: “The Tennessee Titans have requested consent to talk to Mike Heimerdinger about their offensive coordinator position, and we have granted them permission. The opportunity in Tennessee would give Mike the chance to go back to an organization and work with a head coach with whom he is very familiar, handling the entire offense and having full control over game-planning and play-calling responsibilities.”

A deal between Heimerdinger and the Titans was expected to then be completed with little difficulty given Heimerdinger had already been the team's offensive coordinator for five seasons (2000-2004) earlier in Jeff Fisher's tenure there.

The Titans are looking to improve quarterback Vince Young's play. In his second season the Titans did make the AFC playoff field, but Young finished 26th in the league with a passer rating of 71.1 while throwing almost twice as many interceptions (17) in the regular season as touchdown passes (nine).

Heimerdinger was the Titans' offensive coordinator when Steve McNair had three of the top four passing seasons of his career, including in 2003 when McNair finished with a career-best 24 touchdowns, 100.4 passer rating and shared the league's MVP award with Peyton Manning.

He would oversee the Titans offense, including play-calling duties on gameday.

The Broncos had Chan Gailey at the top of their list, but couldn't move quickly enough to secure the veteran coach. After two interviews in Kansas City, the second coming Tuesday, Gailey was quickly named the Chiefs offensive coordinator Wednesday afternoon with the Broncos in pursuit.

The Broncos are now expected to turn their attention to former UCLA coach and Broncos assistant Karl Dorrell – he coached wide receivers for three seasons (2000-02) under Shanahan. Dorrell was fired by UCLA after this past season.

Heimerdinger was in his second stint with the Broncos having been the team's wide receivers coach 1995-99, a span that included the team's two Super Bowl victories.

TXBRONC
01-16-2008, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the read. I hope we can find someone else that's capable of helping to coordinate the offense.

slim
01-16-2008, 10:41 PM
Thank God.

Skinny
01-16-2008, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the read. I hope we can find someone else that's capable of helping to coordinate the offense.You said it alot nicer than i would have ... :D

EMB6903
01-16-2008, 10:53 PM
This is great news for Denver Broncos fans

Bronco4ever
01-16-2008, 10:55 PM
I met him at Fan Fare a couple years ago. Nice guy. Hopefully he does better in Tennessee than he did here.

Broncolingus
01-16-2008, 10:57 PM
Well...bye.

Now, let's get someone back in there who understands that it's a good thing to score TDs inside the 20.

Skinny
01-16-2008, 10:57 PM
The Broncos are now expected to turn their attention to former UCLA coach and Broncos assistant Karl Dorrell – he coached wide receivers for three seasons (2000-02) under Shanahan. Dorrell was fired by UCLA after this past season.I know this much about Dorrell, is there anything else on him??

Watchthemiddle
01-16-2008, 11:00 PM
I have mixed emotions.

Just like I did with Bates.

Bates had a great Rep before coming here. Was the reason our D failed because of him? I don't think so

Dinger had a great Rep as well before coming here. Is the reason our Offense is boring and playing calling is dull because of him?

I don't think so.

slim
01-16-2008, 11:01 PM
I know this much about Dorrell, is there anything else on him??

I don't have any info on Karl to share....but shanny will either promote from within or bring in Karl. Not saying that is the right answer, but that is what will happen

fcspikeit
01-16-2008, 11:44 PM
"The Broncos are now expected to turn their attention to former UCLA coach and Broncos assistant Karl Dorrell – he coached wide receivers for three seasons (2000-02) under Shanahan. Dorrell was fired by UCLA after this past season."

Why would we want a coach that got fired from a collage team? :shot:

I think I would have rather had Heimerdinger. :frusty:

I was glad to see him going, but it pisses me off that we are just going to get another stooge to take his place. There has to be a winner out there that we could get. How many other teams even considered Dorrell?

If this goes down, I am going to have to join Jr and complete the other half of the grumpy old men...

You'll can start calling me Mr Cowell from here on out..

"If I'm being honest,,, Mikey,,, This is bloody terrible!"

slim
01-16-2008, 11:47 PM

I was glad to see him going, but it pisses me off that we are just going to get another stooge to take his place. There has to be a winner out there that we could get. How many other teams even considered Dorrell?

If this goes down, I am going to have to join Jr and complete the other half of the grumpy old men...

Well, head coaches get fired all the time. I think Karl is a good coach (and Rod Smith agrees).

Scarface
01-16-2008, 11:49 PM
Thanks for doing nothing during your stay in Denver. Don't let the door hit ya....

tubby
01-17-2008, 12:00 AM
Thanks for doing nothing during your stay in Denver. Don't let the door hit ya....

I don't think I would go that far. Give him some credit for the development of Cutler. Not bad for a 2nd year QB.

Watchthemiddle
01-17-2008, 12:03 AM
I don't think I would go that far. Give him some credit for the development of Cutler. Not bad for a 2nd year QB.

And thats what he is supposed to do while here. It should be obvious to us all that Heim was not the one calling the plays...but helping to develop Cutler.

So we bring in Karl Dareell ( sp ..had a few :beer:)

What is a good RB coach going to do for CUtler?

I say bring in Neuheisel if we want someone to develop a true passing QB,.

weazel
01-17-2008, 12:04 AM
can he take Ian Gold with him?

dogfish
01-17-2008, 12:10 AM
ah well, no big loss. . . no surprise that they'd look at dorell, either. . .

Skinny
01-17-2008, 12:14 AM
I don't have any info on Karl to share....but shanny will either promote from within or bring in Karl. Not saying that is the right answer, but that is what will happenYeah, that's what i'm thinking too ...

tubby
01-17-2008, 12:16 AM
And thats what he is supposed to do while here. It should be obvious to us all that Heim was not the one calling the plays...but helping to develop Cutler.

So we bring in Karl Dareell ( sp ..had a few :beer:)

What is a good RB coach going to do for CUtler?

I say bring in Neuheisel if we want someone to develop a true passing QB,.

Dinger was a QB coach with an Assistant HC title. I really don't think Shanahan will hire a new OC. I could see him hiring a legit QB coach and leaving Dennison as the "OC"

This assistant head coach stuff is all BS anyway and I think Shanahan is done with it. They were new positions created both offense and defense in the last 2 years. No playoffs means bye bye.

Neuheisel is the HC at UCLA now.

Dorrell was a WR coach in Denver. Don't know if he has any experience with QB's.

fcspikeit
01-17-2008, 12:18 AM
I don't have any info on Karl to share.... but shanny will either promote from within or bring in Karl. Not saying that is the right answer, but that is what will happen

Well, head coaches get fired all the time. I think Karl is a good coach (and Rod Smith agrees).

"No info" = "good coach" :confused:

Watchthemiddle
01-17-2008, 12:20 AM
Dinger was a QB coach with an Assistant HC title. I really don't think Shanahan will hire a new OC. I could see him hiring a legit QB coach and leaving Dennison as the "OC"

This assistant head coach stuff is all BS anyway and I think Shanahan is done with it. They were new positions created both offense and defense in the last 2 years. No playoffs means bye bye.

Dorrell was a WR coach in Denver. Don't know if he has any experience with QB's.

I thought Neuhiesel was the OC or QB coach at Baltimore...:confused:

Anyway...whoever is brought in..we NEED a guy to help Cutler.

His bad habits are still with him even after 4 years of college and 2 years pro.

WHatever the case is, is Shanny cannot develop a QB and devote the time needed to do so while being a HC......IMO.

Cutler has the skillls, but without the coaching in place might turn out to be a bust.

MileHighWrath
01-17-2008, 12:39 AM

There's something to be said for hiring an ex-college coach as coordinator. Jax did it with Dirk Koetter (ASU). Cuter was a horrible HC but that Jax O was very impressive this year.

Tned
01-17-2008, 12:44 AM
I think this is good. I think the Heimerdinger offense was bad, based on our personell. If we had a big offensive line, then maybe his drop back passing, traditional passing offense would cut it, but not with the guys up their averaging 290 or so.

I said a day or so ago, that I would like Shanny to get back to being more hands on with the offense and mentor whoever (denison or otherwise) is going to be OC next year.

Cater the offense to the small, hopefully quick, zone blocking line, reintroduce a focus on confusion by running the same play from different formations each week, and focus on misdirection. The things that were the hallmark of successful Broncos offenses during the Shanny reign.

fcspikeit
01-17-2008, 01:11 AM
There's something to be said for hiring an ex-college coach as coordinator. Jax did it with Dirk Koetter (ASU). Cuter was a horrible HC but that Jax O was very impressive this year.

I agree, there are some good collage coaches.

My point was that he got fired as a collage coach. In other wards, If he couldn't hack it there, how is he going to be in the NFL?

And also, how many other teams considered him for their offensive coordinators? I have never heard his name come up outside of Denver. This whole moves seems to be about getting a guy who Shanahan likes, instead of who is best for the job.

That's what I want to hear. I want Shanahan to say, "He is the best guy to improve our offense" not just, I like him so he gets the job

fcspikeit
01-17-2008, 01:38 AM
I think this is good. I think the Heimerdinger offense was bad, based on our personell. If we had a big offensive line, then maybe his drop back passing, traditional passing offense would cut it, but not with the guys up their averaging 290 or so.

I said a day or so ago, that I would like Shanny to get back to being more hands on with the offense and mentor whoever (denison or otherwise) is going to be OC next year.

Cater the offense to the small, hopefully quick, zone blocking line, reintroduce a focus on confusion by running the same play from different formations each week, and focus on misdirection. The things that were the hallmark of successful Broncos offenses during the Shanny reign.

Well,

Something has to give.. We are trying to drop back and pass like the Cowboys, not one of our lineman could start for Dallas.

This O-line was built around the zone blocking scheme. Passing off play action and bootlegs. They are not strong enough to hold up in the offensive system we tride to use this year. From the sounds of it, Shanahan had talked like he wanted a line like the Cowboys. But now who knows? Will we go back to our roots, to what Shanny knows or continue forward?

The problem with our system is that our passing games goes to crap when we are behind. It has always been like that. You can't very well run a bootleg, when the defense knows your going to pass. If we can't run the ball, we are screwed! Everything comes off the run.

Another thing, IMO defenses have figured out how to beat the zone blocking scheme. The DT's just need to get penetration and cut the O-lineman. They can't pull when they are laying on the ground. if you watch tape from our games, inside the 10 you will see the defenders knifing in the backfield. They don't have to make the tackle, all they have to do is congest the pulling guard and he can't get out and block.

We tride to counter this by slamming right up the gut, but our lineman are just to small for that, they could not push the defenders off the ball.

This brings me to my next question. Do we have faith Shanahan can devise a passing attack that is not built off miss direction?

IMO, we are at a cross roads. If he bulks up the line, our zone blocking scheme will suffer. If he doesn't we will never be very affective at drop back passing. You can't have it both ways.

It will be interesting to see what he does with the O-line this year. We can't give the O-line a make over in one year, but if it continues to grow we will know what direction he is heading.

I just hope he picks one or the other. Either beef up or go back to the miss direction.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-17-2008, 02:13 AM
The UCLA coach is just another Shanahan pawn. Pass.

Astrass
01-17-2008, 02:20 AM
I would not mind Dorell comming in. He didn't do so great as a head coach in UCLA but he had some bright moments. One thing UCLA football players are known for is doing stupid things off the field. Dorell kinda changed that reputation about the squad and made them a team to watch out for. He is partly responsible for such players as Mercedes Lewis, and Jones-Drew to name a couple.

I think Dorell can make great use of our TE's and will help a ton in the red zone. He will make more aggressive play calls in the red zone.

One thing Dorell never really had at UCLA was a real star QB. I thin he can help our offense to big things with this kinda talent.

Watchthemiddle
01-17-2008, 02:24 AM
Lets bring back Gibbs....oh wait...Kubs and the Texans allready signed him

Anyone else think that there is no one out there who is going to develop Cutler the way he needs to be?

Lonestar
01-17-2008, 02:45 AM
Lets see the best person for this job is mikey, after all he was the guy for John.. I say he gives up is duties and everything but HC, Qb coach and the guy that calls the plays in.. That means all we have to do is Hire a professional GM. and VP of football operations..

rcsodak
01-17-2008, 02:49 AM
Jake comes back from retirement, and takes over the OC position.

He teaches Cutler how to actually be a "mobile" mobile QB, and the offense takes off! :coffee:

SoCoPoCo
01-17-2008, 03:45 AM
He didn't do much as head coach, but I kind of hope we bring Fassel back here as the O coordinator and I'm glad KC passed on him. I prefer him over Dorrell if for nothing other than the fact he did coach Elway during some of his most productive seasons.

Shanahan better move quick, though, as I think he will be snatched up before the weekend.

http://www.cjonline.com/stories/011708/chi_237413329.shtml

Bronco9798
01-17-2008, 07:52 AM
Why can't Shanny go out and bring in somebody that knows how to run an offense. Give me a break with Dorell. Can somebody post the accomplishments for Dorell as an Offense Coordinator. That's what I thought.

nevcraw
01-17-2008, 08:35 AM
The Post said that their is a good chance Jeremy Bates will get increased responsibility and is considered one of the top young minds in the NFL.. for what thats worth.
Is much as I would love to get some new blood in the fold, Bates with Dorrell would make a lot of sense. Most of this team has not been w/ this team for more than a couple of years. They need people who know the system and are not trying to learn it themselves while teaching it.
Dorrell did a very good job in Denver before going to UCLA as the WR coach, his signing could also help keep Rod in the fold as he he has always been an unabashed supporter.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_7991488

While Heimerdinger may be moving on, it appears assistant coach Jeremy Bates will have an increased role in the Broncos' offense. Bates, 31, was Denver's quarterbacks and receivers coach for the 2007 season and is regarded as one the top young minds in the NFL. Bates had a good working relationship with quarterback Jay Cutler.

Mike
01-17-2008, 08:45 AM
He didn't do much as head coach, but I kind of hope we bring Fassel back here as the O coordinator and I'm glad KC passed on him. I prefer him over Dorrell if for nothing other than the fact he did coach Elway during some of his most productive seasons.

Shanahan better move quick, though, as I think he will be snatched up before the weekend.

http://www.cjonline.com/stories/011708/chi_237413329.shtml

I agree. I would like to see them bring Fassel in.

BOSSHOGG30
01-17-2008, 09:02 AM
I'm doing the happy dance :elefant:

MileHighWrath
01-17-2008, 09:10 AM
I agree, there are some good collage coaches.

My point was that he got fired as a collage coach. In other wards, If he couldn't hack it there, how is he going to be in the NFL?

And also, how many other teams considered him for their offensive coordinators? I have never heard his name come up outside of Denver. This whole moves seems to be about getting a guy who Shanahan likes, instead of who is best for the job.

That's what I want to hear. I want Shanahan to say, "He is the best guy to improve our offense" not just, I like him so he gets the job

That's why I used Koetter as the example. He was FIRED as the head coach at ASU, (he could not hack it as a college coach) hired as OC for Jax Jaguars (having never been in the NFL before) and their offense was terrific!

But I agree, a young offense like Denver's needs someone who knows what he's doing, how it's done and how to improve.

Yet the other side is, bring in a fresh young mind that's "up and coming" like Kubiak was, Koetter is, maybe Shula? I'm just tired of all the old retreads bouncing around the league.

SR
01-17-2008, 09:22 AM
Well...bye.

Now, let's get someone back in there who understands that it's a good thing to score TDs inside the 20.

Shanahan calls the plays still...

BOSSHOGG30
01-17-2008, 10:16 AM
Maybe this means Shanahan will take a bigger role in offensive play calling?

HolyDiver
01-17-2008, 11:03 AM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jan/16/titans-might-pursue-broncos-top-offensive-aide/

By Jeff Legwold, Rocky Mountain News

The Titans have their new offensive coordinator in Mike Heimerdinger and the Broncos now have an opening on their staff.

There were several discussions Wednesday and according to sources a deal should be finalized by Thursday for Heimerdinger to return to the Titans. A formal announcement will come as soon as Thursday or Friday.

Heimerdinger could not be reached for comment Wednesday night.

The Broncos formally granted the Titans permission to talk to Heimerdinger on Wednesday morning and the talks quickly gained speed from there.

Early Wednesday Mike Shanahan said in a statement: “The Tennessee Titans have requested consent to talk to Mike Heimerdinger about their offensive coordinator position, and we have granted them permission. The opportunity in Tennessee would give Mike the chance to go back to an organization and work with a head coach with whom he is very familiar, handling the entire offense and having full control over game-planning and play-calling responsibilities.”

A deal between Heimerdinger and the Titans was expected to then be completed with little difficulty given Heimerdinger had already been the team's offensive coordinator for five seasons (2000-2004) earlier in Jeff Fisher's tenure there.

The Titans are looking to improve quarterback Vince Young's play. In his second season the Titans did make the AFC playoff field, but Young finished 26th in the league with a passer rating of 71.1 while throwing almost twice as many interceptions (17) in the regular season as touchdown passes (nine).

Heimerdinger was the Titans' offensive coordinator when Steve McNair had three of the top four passing seasons of his career, including in 2003 when McNair finished with a career-best 24 touchdowns, 100.4 passer rating and shared the league's MVP award with Peyton Manning.

He would oversee the Titans offense, including play-calling duties on gameday.

The Broncos had Chan Gailey at the top of their list, but couldn't move quickly enough to secure the veteran coach. After two interviews in Kansas City, the second coming Tuesday, Gailey was quickly named the Chiefs offensive coordinator Wednesday afternoon with the Broncos in pursuit.

The Broncos are now expected to turn their attention to former UCLA coach and Broncos assistant Karl Dorrell – he coached wide receivers for three seasons (2000-02) under Shanahan. Dorrell was fired by UCLA after this past season.

Heimerdinger was in his second stint with the Broncos having been the team's wide receivers coach 1995-99, a span that included the team's two Super Bowl victories.

Dorrell.........................Good, I liked him when he was an assistant for the Broncos. Good call if it works out.............Now go get Seth Joiner to coach the Linebackers.

SR
01-17-2008, 11:30 AM

See the post above yours.

BOSSHOGG30
01-17-2008, 11:59 AM
See the post above yours.

You think? Or you know?

Lonestar
01-17-2008, 12:07 PM
Shanahan calls the plays still...

I agree with SR on this one.. Perhaps he does not make the initial call but when relaying the call to the QB changes no doubt have been made..

mikey controls what is called..

for that matter controls it all..

SR
01-17-2008, 12:09 PM
You think? Or you know?

I know that Shanahan himself scripts the first 15-20 plays of the game and that he calls the plays during the game.

Jwalk - JayCutty6Goes - CasinoRoyal
01-17-2008, 12:21 PM
Well...bye.

You seriously think Shanny does not call the plays though?

BOSSHOGG30
01-17-2008, 12:25 PM
I know that Shanahan himself scripts the first 15-20 plays of the game and that he calls the plays during the game.

I thought it was mentioned somewhere on here that Dinger was the one who scripte the first 15-20 plays of the game?

01-17-2008, 12:28 PM
Nah Shanny scripts the first 15-20 plays, I heard that every game i watched.

HolyDiver
01-17-2008, 12:39 PM
Why can't Shanny go out and bring in somebody that knows how to run an offense. Give me a break with Dorell. Can somebody post the accomplishments for Dorell as an Offense Coordinator. That's what I thought.

Before Kubiak was OC, he was a measly QB coach in San Fran.................Dorrell would be a great choice for OC if you ask me. Everyone has to start somewhere 9798..............Before your wife met you, you were a punk kid running around Colorado Springs picking fights in DJ's.................Now look at you...............Well, pretty much the same, just without a DJ's to go to...........but my point is, Dorrell could be a very good choice and I think he's worth a look.

G_Money
01-17-2008, 12:55 PM
Dorrell runs a WC that doesn't work in college but could be fine for us (assuming that his play-calling and Shanny's would intermingle).

He believes very strongly in personal integrity, which would make him a good coach to hang out around Brandon Marshall.

The reporters all say that Dinger didn't call very many of the plays here, which I find hard to believe simply based on the style we ran before he got here and the style we were left with after he came.

Unless Shanahan didn't call a play in the previous decade and now that he's on his own all he can do is a poor imitation of Kubiak's play-calling, anyway, and that's harder for me to believe.

If we're gonna get into cronyism them Dorrell's a decent crony to have around.

~G

MileHighWrath
01-17-2008, 01:11 PM
I honestly don't care much who it is just give him a good O line to work with and he'll be a freaking hero!

jrelway
01-17-2008, 01:19 PM
so kubiak ran the playaction boot offense, dinger runs the drop back mulitiple reciver sets, what will the new guy run? does this mean we have to revamp our whole O Line philosphy?

BOSSHOGG30
01-17-2008, 01:21 PM
Dorrell comes from UCLA... does he come with a Maurice Jones Drew?

HolyDiver
01-17-2008, 01:22 PM
so kubiak ran the playaction boot offense, dinger runs the drop back mulitiple reciver sets, what will the new guy run? does this mean we have to revamp our whole O Line philosphy?

Hopefully, more Draws and Sprint right options.

Retired_Member_001
01-17-2008, 06:07 PM
I haven't read the whole thread but "DAMN I'm happy he's gone"

Poor play calling on offense this season.

fcspikeit
01-17-2008, 06:38 PM
Dorrell runs a WC that doesn't work in college but could be fine for us (assuming that his play-calling and Shanny's would intermingle).

He believes very strongly in personal integrity, which would make him a good coach to hang out around Brandon Marshall.

I'll take your word for it, He is an unknows comonity at OC. I hope he brings some life to our play calling. It seemed pretty flat for most of the year.

The reporters all say that Dinger didn't call very many of the plays here, which I find hard to believe simply based on the style we ran before he got here and the style we were left with after he came.

Unless Shanahan didn't call a play in the previous decade and now that he's on his own all he can do is a poor imitation of Kubiak's play-calling, anyway, and that's harder for me to believe.

I'm with you on this,, Something isn't setting right. Anyone can see our offence under Kubiak was different then under Dinger. We were told it was Shanahans offence when Kubiak was here. Wouldn't that make last years offense, Dingers offense beings they were different?

If last year was Shanahans offense then truly the master mind was Kubiak!

So what will we get next year if Shanahan is running the show? Will it be the same as this year or back when Kubiak was here? :confused:

fcspikeit
01-17-2008, 06:43 PM
Nah Shanny scripts the first 15-20 plays, I heard that every game i watched.

I always heard Shanny and co.. script the first 15 plays.

Even if it was Shanahan picking the plays,, What plays is he picking from? If we were running Dingers offense then they were still Dingers plays.

If we were running Shanahans offense,, next year just got a lot more bleak! :shocked:

Retired_Member_001
01-17-2008, 06:49 PM
I always heard Shanny and co.. script the first 15 plays.

Even if it was Shanahan picking the plays,, What plays is he picking from? If we were running Dingers offense then they were still Dingers plays.

If we were running Shanahans offense,, next year just got a lot more bleak! :shocked:

I seriously hope that the super conservative play calling goes. I mean every other passing play called was a WR screen. Everyone knew we were going to run the WR Screen. We never took shots deep, just kept going with the WR Screen pass.

In fact just saying WR Screen gives me shivers. :shocked:

Lonestar
01-17-2008, 07:31 PM
I'll take your word for it, He is an unknows community at OC. I hope he brings some life to our play calling. It seemed pretty flat for most of the year.

I'm with you on this,, Something isn't setting right. Anyone can see our offense under Kubiack was different then under Dinger. We were told it was Shanahans offense when Kubiack was here. Wouldn't that make last years offense, Dingers offense beings they were different?

If last year was Shanahans offense then truly the master mind was Kubiack!

So what will we get next year if Shanahan is running the show? Will it be the same as this year or back when Kubiack was here? :confused:

I Think that while Kubes and hummer laid out the game plans and when Dinger came to town since there was a new QB with different skills things changed somewhat.. Still in Mikeys overall playbook just modified.. to fit the skill set of the players.. Just like when greasy took over things changed away from roll outs more pocket passing.

Remember that Kubes learned from the master and played behind one. So it might have looked like kubes plays but in reality they were mikeys.

01-18-2008, 04:38 AM
The thing thats truly holding out offense back is the big play guys, Other than Marshall we have no big play threats, Selvin young is NOT gonna be able to carry the load a whole season, And Andre hall was probably a one hit wonder like Mike Bell was. We need a big time deep threat at wide out to line up opposite of Marshall with B Stokes in the slot. And we need that Portis type of RB again. A guy who can carry the ball 25 times a game and still bust 60 yarders for touchdowns. Thats what the offense is missing regardless of whose calling the plays this year. I didnt know we hired Dorrell as our OC or what not either. I havent seen many UCLA games at all so i dont know how they operate.

SR
01-18-2008, 04:58 AM
We haven't hired Dorrell yet. He is just the leading candidate for the job.

As far as the rest of the post; good job John Madden...way to point out the obvious.

omac
01-18-2008, 09:02 PM
The thing thats truly holding out offense back is the big play guys, Other than Marshall we have no big play threats, Selvin young is NOT gonna be able to carry the load a whole season, And Andre hall was probably a one hit wonder like Mike Bell was. We need a big time deep threat at wide out to line up opposite of Marshall with B Stokes in the slot. And we need that Portis type of RB again. A guy who can carry the ball 25 times a game and still bust 60 yarders for touchdowns. Thats what the offense is missing regardless of whose calling the plays this year. I didnt know we hired Dorrell as our OC or what not either. I havent seen many UCLA games at all so i dont know how they operate.

We need excellent pass protection from the line in order to call the big plays without having to use misdirection first. If the line protects Cutler much better, the big plays will have the time to develop. Otherwise, Cutler has to get rid of the ball real fast, like he's been doing most of the season. Just look how much time Brady and Anderson gets.

omac
01-18-2008, 09:07 PM

Chudzinski was a TE coach, but the Cleveland offense has looked amazing this season, so hopefully we'd be lucky with Dorrell as well or whoever we get.

dogfish
01-18-2008, 09:07 PM
We need excellent pass protection from the line in order to call the big plays without having to use misdirection first. If the line protects Cutler much better, the big plays will have the time to develop. Otherwise, Cutler has to get rid of the ball real fast, like he's been doing most of the season. Just look how much time Brady and Anderson gets.

yep-- all the deep threats in the world aren't worth squat if you can't protect on seven-step drops. . .

omac
01-18-2008, 09:21 PM
yep-- all the deep threats in the world aren't worth squat if you can't protect on seven-step drops. . .

What also concerns me is, in the Lepsis retires thread, Lepsis mentioned that he played like crap this season. Still, none of the younger guys were able to win the spot over him. Mikey has shown that he's willing to bench starters if the backups can outperform them, yet no one was able to win the spot from Lepsis. With that in mind, I'm pretty concerned for that tackle spot.

Lonestar
01-18-2008, 10:11 PM

look at their OLINEs and GMs..

Lonestar
01-18-2008, 10:14 PM
What also concerns me is, in the Lepsis retires thread, Lepsis mentioned that he played like crap this season. Still, none of the younger guys were able to win the spot over him. Mikey has shown that he's willing to bench starters if the backups can outperform them, yet no one was able to win the spot from Lepsis. With that in mind, I'm pretty concerned for that tackle spot.

do you really think mikey sat down with him or that he was honest with mikey?

nevcraw
01-18-2008, 10:54 PM
Hire Dorell already.. sheesh..

I love how some are giving Kubes the lion share of credit for the Broncos Offensive success but none to Mike Sherman for his apparrent influence in Houston.
I want Shanny to hand the reins over to Bates or Dorrell. he can influence all he wants but there is just not enough time in the day to wear that many hats. Give it to someone who does not have the weight of the free wolrd on his shoulders and not as much to lose.
Let Bates or Dorell call the plays. I'm betting they will be less conservative.

Lonestar
01-18-2008, 11:01 PM

heck I'd be happy with a 3 step and delirious with a 5 stepper..

broncosfanscott
01-19-2008, 12:16 AM
heck I'd be happy with a 3 step and delirious with a 5 stepper..

I hear ya on that one.

Anybody know who are the candidates for being our OC?

Lonestar
01-19-2008, 02:51 AM
I hear ya on that one.

Anybody know who are the candidates for being our OC?

our OC is the same one we had last last numb nuts the OLINE coach that used to be a LB for us.. Another yes boy for mikey.

omac
01-19-2008, 08:35 AM
do you really think mikey sat down with him or that he was honest with mikey?

Nah, what I meant was that in the article, Lepsis tells of some of the times Mikey's shouted at him in practice saying he's playing like crap, and Lepsis thinks to himself, yes I am. Despite that, though, no one was able to take the spot away from Lepsis.

Scarface
01-19-2008, 08:40 AM

I give any credit for Cutler's early success to Shanahan.

claymore
01-19-2008, 08:46 AM
I dindnt like Dinger, or Bates, but this revolving door has to stop. The need to scout there asses off for available coaching talent. They have to get it right this time.

Lonestar
01-19-2008, 04:11 PM
I dindnt like Dinger, or Bates, but this revolving door has to stop. The need to scout there asses off for available coaching talent. They have to get it right this time.

What do they have to replace we have both coordinators already in place.. All that is not covered right now unless they filled them internally are a QB coach and a LB coach.. BFD

Watchthemiddle
01-19-2008, 04:36 PM
Hire Dorell already.. sheesh..

I love how some are giving Kubes the lion share of credit for the Broncos Offensive success but none to Mike Sherman for his apparrent influence in Houston.
I want Shanny to hand the reins over to Bates or Dorrell. he can influence all he wants but there is just not enough time in the day to wear that many hats. Give it to someone who does not have the weight of the free wolrd on his shoulders and not as much to lose.
Let Bates or Dorell call the plays. I'm betting they will be less conservative.

I agree. Since when do OC or DC's get head coaching jobs based on being conservative in their play calling? You just don't see that happening.

The ones that move on and get hired on different teams to be HC is because they made a name for themselves doing their job as a coordinator for another team.

No matter who we bring in to call the plays, I hope they get to do just that. Call the plays. Trust me, if that happens we are going to see some creativity and an improvement in our team.

01-19-2008, 06:54 PM
We haven't hired Dorrell yet. He is just the leading candidate for the job.

As far as the rest of the post; good job John Madden...way to point out the obvious.

:confused:

dogfish
01-19-2008, 07:41 PM
I agree. Since when do OC or DC's get head coaching jobs based on being conservative in their play calling?

uhhhhh. . . . marty schottenheimer and dan reeves ring any bells?

:wave:

Skinny
01-23-2008, 12:21 PM
Dolphins closing in on assistants

Former UCLA coach Karl Dorrell could be hired soon, paving way for arrival of Dan Henning as offensive coordinator.

Former UCLA coach Karl Dorrell is expected to be named the team's wide receivers coach at some point this week, as Dorrell is believed to have chosen Miami over Kansas City.

Dorrell, who coached the wide receivers in Denver before jumping back to the college ranks, recently was fired by UCLA. If indeed he chooses Miami, the team is considering hiring former NFL head coach Dan Henning to serve as the offensive coordinator.

The mind-set would be to groom Dorrell as Henning's successor to run the offense -- a transition that would likely be a rapid one.

http://www.miamiherald.com/616/story/388468.html