PDA

View Full Version : Providing Another Reason to Give Thanks

Denver Native (Carol)
11-18-2009, 09:43 AM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9586

DENVER -- With Thanksgiving a little more than a week away, there are many people who don't know where their next meal is coming from.

On Tuesday, Brian Dawkins made sure that 250 families won't have to worry about that come the holiday.

Teaming up with King Soopers and Meadow Gold Dairy, Dawkins presented a check for $11,000 to the Salvation Army -- enough to provide Thanksgiving meals that feed up to six people for all 250 families.

Each meal has a cooked turkey and homestyle stuffing to mashed potatoes, turkey gravy, cranberry relish, rolls and a pumpkin pie to top it off.

Captain Ron McKinney, metro Denver city coordinator for Salvation Army, called Dawkins' contribution "immeasurable."

"Brian needs no introduction -- he casts a big shadow wherever he goes," McKinney said. "Obviously being a good Christian man himself, he has great values -- he definitely and genuinely wants to help others."

Dawkins spoke about how important it is to give, and not just to give because you feel you need to -- but because you want to.

"My cup is running over, He has blessed me to that extent, so why wouldn't I give back with a glad heart?" Dawkins said.

The meals will be distributed across Colorado to families in need in Denver, Fort Collins, Greeley, Colorado Springs, Pueblo and Grand Junction.

Dawkins said he donated Thanksgiving meals to families "every year in Philadelphia, but not quite to this magnitude."

McKinney said he hopes Dawkins realizes the impact his gift will have on families throughout the state.

"Those on the front line, we sometimes say to our donors that they don't see the end results, but we do," he said. "We see the smiles of the children when they get toys on Christmas day. We see the tears of the family when they pick up their meals knowing that they're going to have a Thanksgiving dinner because of the generosity of people like Brian Dawkins."

He added that more than 700 more families have signed up for the Salvation Army's help this year than in 2008, saying that there is "an extreme need" for donations this year. Having a player the likes of Dawkins help get the word out can only help.

And Dawkins himself couldn't be happier to be part of the solution.

"It is better to give than receive -- that's what the Word says, and that is so true," he said, standing beside his two oldest children. "When you're able to bless others and you see the smiles on their faces, and you can just imagine what they're going to have on that day -- a family gathering, everybody having a good time. I know how my household is when we have Thanksgiving -- the conversations we have, the joy we have, the full bellies we have on Thanksgiving, the sleepiness we get after those full bellies -- all those are memories that last for a long time.

"Hopefully we'll be able to bless other families -- 250 -- to be able to have those same type of memories to have for forever."

Dirk
11-18-2009, 10:20 AM
:salute:

God Bless him! Great guy that BDawk is!

Lonestar
11-18-2009, 03:20 PM
Thanksgiving Comes Early
Brian Dawkins helps the Salvation Army supply Thanksgiving meals to families in Colorado.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=349&videoID=3613&type=broncosTV&year=&month=