PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs hire Gailey as offensive coordinator

DallasChief
01-16-2008, 04:38 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/ch...ory/447546.html

Chiefs hire Gailey as offensive coordinator
By ADAM TEICHER The Kansas City Star

Chan Gailey was hired today as the Chiefs’ offensive coordinator.

Gailey, 56, is a veteran coordinator, having served in that capacity in the NFL with Denver, Pittsburgh and Miami. He also has been head coach for the Cowboys and Birmingham in the World League and in college for Troy State, Samford and Georgia Tech. He was fired this past fall after six seasons at Georgia Tech.

Chiefs coach Herm Edwards was immediately unavailable for comment.

Other candidates for the position included UTEP offensive coordinator Eric Price, former New York Giants coach Jim Fassel and Jacksonville quarterbacks coach Mike Shula.

Gailey will replace Mike Solari, who was fired after the Chiefs had one of their worst offensive seasons in team history.

tubby
01-16-2008, 04:42 PM
chiefs suck

NightTrainLayne
01-16-2008, 04:43 PM
It Worked guys!!

We mentioned Gailey as a possible replacement if Dinger leaves and KC picked him up.

I've never been overly impressed with Gailey myself, but he has had some success in the past. Here's hoping that he doesn't have a big impact at KC.

DallasChief
01-16-2008, 04:44 PM
chiefs suck

Don't make me delete this thread and start over. :D

Italianmobstr7
01-16-2008, 04:57 PM
Wow. Screw the Chiefs. Oh well. I'm sure Denver will have someone to replace Dinger (if he even leaves).

MOtorboat
01-16-2008, 07:23 PM
Gailey won't be in Denver.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3199853

Former Cowboys head coach hopes to revive sputtering Chiefs' offense

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The Kansas City Chiefs hired former Dallas Cowboys head coach Chan Gailey as offensive coordinator on Wednesday, handing him one of the NFL's weakest attacks.

He replaces Mike Solari, who took the Chiefs from being one of the league's top offenses to one of the worst in two years.

Kansas City ended the season with a 4-12 record and on a nine-game losing streak after scoring only 226 points. That's 70 fewer than any Kansas City team has scored in 30 years.

Gailey, fired after this past season as head coach at Georgia Tech, inherits a rebuilding project. He will be working for head coach Herm Edwards, who has a reputation for being an offensive stick in the mud.

But unlike Solari, a respected offensive line coach who had never been a coordinator until 2006, Gailey brings a wealth of college and NFL experience.

In 14 seasons in the NFL, he has been on the staff of 11 playoff teams and coached in the Super Bowl four times, including three with Denver. He has been either a head coach or an offensive coordinator eight years.

At Georgia Tech, he was 44-33 and took the Yellow Jackets to six straight bowl games.

But he ran afoul of boosters for never beating archrival Georgia, winning an ACC title or finishing in the Top 25 and found himself out of work.

Edwards conducted a thorough search before making what most Chiefs fans believe will be his most important decision since taking over for **** Vermeil in 2006. Under Vermeil and innovative coordinator Al Saunders, the Chiefs had one of the league's most productive offenses.

But age, injuries and Solari's inexperience in calling plays led to a dramatic collapse, and the Chiefs finished near the bottom of almost every offensive statistical category.

A once-dominant offensive line will probably need replacements at three of the five positions. Running back Larry Johnson missed the last eight games with a broken a bone in his foot.

Perhaps most significantly, questions remain whether Brodie Croyle is the long-term answer at quarterback. The second-year pro proved inconsistent and prone to injury this past season.

The Chiefs also interviewed Paul Hackett, Mike Shula, Eric Price and former New York Giants head coach Jim Fassel.

"The best compliment that I can pay Chan Gailey is that he is tough," Edwards said.

"He's been through the battles as both a head coach and as an offensive coordinator. He's called the plays and he has performed under pressure. But just as importantly, Chan is an excellent teacher. Wherever he's coached, he has designed dynamic offenses to take full advantage of his players' skills. He understands how to orchestrate a balanced offensive plan. He's going to be a good fit for our philosophy and our football team. The Chiefs will be better because of Chan Gailey."

Gailey was 18-14 as head coach in Dallas and took the Cowboys to two straight playoffs. His 1998 Cowboys were NFC East champions and committed a league-low 15 turnovers while ranking in the top 10 in total offense, rushing and scoring.

Gailey was offensive coordinator for Miami in 2000-01 when the Dolphins posted consecutive 11-5 records. He was on the Pittsburgh staff from 1994-97 when the Steelers won four straight AFC Central titles and played in one Super Bowl. He was offensive coordinator in 1997 when Pittsburgh ranked sixth in the NFL in total offense and seventh in scoring.

MileHighWrath
01-17-2008, 12:44 AM
So who is he coordinating exactly? Last I saw, KC didn't have much on offense to actually coordinate. Do they have a QB in KC? What was their RB's name again? It might seem like I'm making fun but I'm serious, I can't think of who is on that offense.

Bronco9798
01-17-2008, 08:02 AM
Seriously, who cares. Her has a tough rode ahead of him trying to make Brodie Croyle into an NFL QB. Brodie will never get thru an entire season without some little itt-bitty injury that puts him on the bench.

BOSSHOGG30
01-17-2008, 09:39 AM
Those ********! Steal our offensive coordinator. Guess we will have to bring some college guy or ex-college coach in because no one will want to coach the Broncos under Shanahan. No Job security in Denver.

SR
01-17-2008, 09:41 AM
Chan Gailey's best years are behind him. He's washed up IMO.

Broncolingus
01-17-2008, 10:12 AM
Sleep well Bronco fans...

Herm will quash whatever good things Gailey can bring to the table...

Plus, he doesn't have anybody worth anything left on the offense that's under the age of 40, so...

Just to show you I can say something positive, Brodie Croyle's wife is still really good looking though...

BOSSHOGG30
01-17-2008, 11:36 AM
I like Gailey... anyone who can make Kordell Stewart and Jay Feeley look as good as they did must have a few tricks up his sleeve. Lord knows the Chiefs will need it with Croyle.

Watchthemiddle
01-17-2008, 11:40 AM
Those ********! Steal our offensive coordinator. Guess we will have to bring some college guy or ex-college coach in because no one will want to coach the Broncos under Shanahan. No Job security in Denver.

Good point. Maybe thats why we tend to promote from within most of the time.

tubby
01-17-2008, 03:14 PM
I wonder if Gailey will teach Croyle how to win a (single) game in the NFL?