PDA

View Full Version : Elway rips Simms

Superchop 7
11-17-2009, 04:01 PM
Elway Thinks The Broncos Are 'In Trouble'
Text 4broncos to 66247 sign up for CBS4 Broncos text alerts More Info
By Matthew J. Buettner

DENVER (CBS4) - The Denver Broncos lost their third consecutive game on Sunday and are now tied with the Chargers for the division lead.

One glaring issue in the 27-17 loss to the Redskins was the play of backup quarterback Chris Simms, who had to take over after Kyle Orton injured his ankle in the first half. John Elway said he thinks the Broncos had better expectations from Simms, who completed only three passes in 13 attempts for 13 yards.

"It is tough coming off the bench, but I think they had better expectations from Chris. That's why I think he was there, that's why he's the backup, that's part of his job; to be able to come off the bench in short notice and play well and help them win," Elway said. "I'm sure Chris is very disappointed with his performance."

Elway said if Orton isn't able to play next week, Simms should be better prepared.

Now that the Broncos' 3 1/2 game lead in the AFC West is gone Elway thinks the team is in trouble.

"I think that they've not recovered from that bye week. They had all that momentum going into that bye week," Elway said. "It's one thing to lose, but it's another thing to lose and play bad. They're losing, but they're also not playing very well."

Elway said the Broncos need to find a way to get a spark and get the winning vibe back that they had in the first six weeks. During that stretch the Broncos played their best ball in second half but now they are playing poorly when it matters most.

"There's no question. They're really struggling offensively, not making any big plays. You can go ahead and have your three-and-outs, even though you don't want them, but you've got to be able to make some big plays. They made some big plays in the first half, but in the second half, they're not making them."

He said the defense isn't playing as well in the second half as they had in the first six games. Teams have been running the ball effectively against them.

"It's almost as if, you know, I think after 9 weeks now, people have a little bit of a book on what they're doing defensively."

He said a lot of times teams will fall into the same habits and opponents are realizing what those habits are and taking advantage of them.

"They've got to pull themselves out of this and hopefully get it turned around and make a run for the division."

Northman
11-17-2009, 04:07 PM
Seems like the Bye week is always our kryponite. Ugh

Superchop 7
11-17-2009, 04:13 PM
I like it when John speaks up.

Lonestar
11-17-2009, 04:17 PM
I suspect that because we are not the biggest team that the wear and tear of the first half of the season catches up with us.. especially on the LOS..

now we have gotten bigger at the LOS but still having Pygmy NT (compared to others) makes a huge difference..

I think it will take a couple of years to be able to play all season long at a consistent style..

weazel
11-17-2009, 05:23 PM
Elway Thinks The Broncos Are 'In Trouble'
Text 4broncos to 66247 sign up for CBS4 Broncos text alerts More Info
By Matthew J. Buettner

DENVER (CBS4) - The Denver Broncos lost their third consecutive game on Sunday and are now tied with the Chargers for the division lead.

One glaring issue in the 27-17 loss to the Redskins was the play of backup quarterback Chris Simms, who had to take over after Kyle Orton injured his ankle in the first half. John Elway said he thinks the Broncos had better expectations from Simms, who completed only three passes in 13 attempts for 13 yards.

"It is tough coming off the bench, but I think they had better expectations from Chris. That's why I think he was there, that's why he's the backup, that's part of his job; to be able to come off the bench in short notice and play well and help them win," Elway said. "I'm sure Chris is very disappointed with his performance."

Elway said if Orton isn't able to play next week, Simms should be better prepared.

Now that the Broncos' 3 1/2 game lead in the AFC West is gone Elway thinks the team is in trouble.

"I think that they've not recovered from that bye week. They had all that momentum going into that bye week," Elway said. "It's one thing to lose, but it's another thing to lose and play bad. They're losing, but they're also not playing very well."

Elway said the Broncos need to find a way to get a spark and get the winning vibe back that they had in the first six weeks. During that stretch the Broncos played their best ball in second half but now they are playing poorly when it matters most.

"There's no question. They're really struggling offensively, not making any big plays. You can go ahead and have your three-and-outs, even though you don't want them, but you've got to be able to make some big plays. They made some big plays in the first half, but in the second half, they're not making them."

He said the defense isn't playing as well in the second half as they had in the first six games. Teams have been running the ball effectively against them.

"It's almost as if, you know, I think after 9 weeks now, people have a little bit of a book on what they're doing defensively."

He said a lot of times teams will fall into the same habits and opponents are realizing what those habits are and taking advantage of them.

"They've got to pull themselves out of this and hopefully get it turned around and make a run for the division."

what a Bears fan, Elway go to a freaking Bears forum!

I'm looking at you mudford bronco... :elefant:

SR
11-17-2009, 05:44 PM
I don't really give a damn what Elway says about the Broncos. It's nothing different than any sports writer has said about Denver, but because it's Elway saying it, it gets mentioned.

Last I checked, John Elway retired in 1999...

weazel
11-17-2009, 05:56 PM
I don't really give a damn what Elway says about the Broncos. It's nothing different than any sports writer has said about Denver, but because it's Elway saying it, it gets mentioned.

it's not the same...

SR
11-17-2009, 05:58 PM
It doesn't matter. He hasn't said ANYTHING different than anyone else. I don't really think that those words hold any more credibility than anything anyone else has said.

weazel
11-17-2009, 06:05 PM
It doesn't matter. He hasn't said ANYTHING different than anyone else. I don't really think that those words hold any more credibility than anything anyone else has said.

yes it does... he's a lifetime Bronco. He's not some half-wit reporter looking for a 150 word article to make his deadline.

SR
11-17-2009, 06:08 PM
LOL. When he's saying THE SAME THING as the "half-wit reporter", he has no more credibility than they do.

Way to high five your own post BTW.

weazel
11-17-2009, 06:11 PM
LOL. When he's saying THE SAME THING as the "half-wit reporter", he has no more credibility than they do.

Way to high five your own post BTW.

you're being foolish.

I would high five yours, but they are horrible.

SR
11-17-2009, 06:17 PM
I'm not being foolish and my posts aren't horrible. Please, do me the pleasure of explaining to me how John Elway saying the same thing as every other reporter covering the Broncos makes him any more credible than they are. Because he played for Denver? Negative.

I respect John Elway for being who he is and for doing what he did, but just because he is who he is doesn't mean that I respect what he says about my football team any more than I respect what Dave Kreiger or anyone else says about them.

weazel
11-17-2009, 06:21 PM
I'm not being foolish and my posts aren't horrible. Please, do me the pleasure of explaining to me how John Elway saying the same thing as every other reporter covering the Broncos makes him any more credible than they are. Because he played for Denver? Negative.

I respect John Elway for being who he is and for doing what he did, but just because he is who he is doesn't mean that I respect what he says about my football team any more than I respect what Dave Kreiger or anyone else says about them.

I did, two posts up. You aren't even reading the posts before you reply to them?

Come on man!

Because he played for Denver? Negative.

no, not because he played for Denver.
Because he's John freakin' Elway who played for Denver. ...Took them to a few superbowls. ...Won two superbowls. ...Is the face of the franchise... ...I could go on.

If you don't see that, than theres nothing I can say to you. Some of us have been around longer than others, maybe.

Zweems56
11-17-2009, 06:23 PM
LOL! This shit is hilarious. Seriously, why high five your own post? Are you telling yourself that you agree with yourself?

weazel
11-17-2009, 06:26 PM
LOL! This shit is hilarious. Seriously, why high five your own post? Are you telling yourself that you agree with yourself?

LMAO, I'm just doing it to be an ass...

GEM
11-17-2009, 06:28 PM

He did happen to play the position he is commenting on and has some first hand knowledge that those half wit reporters don't. :shrugs:

SR
11-17-2009, 06:30 PM
I did, two posts up. You aren't even reading the posts before you reply to them?

Come on man!

no, not because he played for Denver.
Because he's John freakin' Elway who played for Denver. ...Took them to a few superbowls. ...Won two superbowls. ...Is the face of the franchise... ...I could go on.

If you don't see that, than theres nothing I can say to you. Some of us have been around longer than others, maybe.

I know who his is what he did for this franchise. Believe me.

Agree to disagree I guess. I'm not going to argue with you.

weazel
11-17-2009, 06:34 PM
I know who his is what he did for this franchise. Believe me.

Agree to disagree I guess. I'm not going to argue with you.

I believe we already were! LOL

Take care, 'red

Zweems56
11-17-2009, 06:35 PM
LMAO, I'm just doing it to be an ass...

IMHO, that should be everyone's excuse for everything

"Dude, why did you just masturbate onto a public restroom seat?"

"I dont know, I was just doing it to be an ass..."

Zweems56
11-17-2009, 06:37 PM
He did happen to play the position he is commenting on and has some first hand knowledge that those half wit reporters don't. :shrugs:

Lissen here Gem, I'll have you know that every hack of a reporter is an EXPERT on quarterbacks.

weazel
11-17-2009, 06:37 PM
IMHO, that should be everyone's excuse for everything

"Dude, why did you just masturbate onto a public restroom seat?"

"I dont know, I was just doing it to be an ass..."

LMAO! shit man, you made me laugh pretty good on that one, now I have to go explain myself to the offices down the hall!

GEM
11-17-2009, 06:39 PM
Lissen here Gem, I'll have you know that every hack of a reporter is an EXPERT on quarterbacks.

Hell, every hack on this message board is an EXPERT on quarterbacks. :laugh: Myself included....Chris Simms can't throw an accurate ball....Kyle Orton's neckbeard is stronger than John Elway's elbow....:D

getlynched47
11-17-2009, 08:18 PM
Simms job is to be able to come in and be effective in a game if a) the starting QB gets injured or b) the starting QB gets benched.

He didn't do his job. He didn't sustain any drives and only coverted 1 third down the entire 2nd half.

He failed as a backup miserably, and he fails period.

I can't believe we paid that much to the guy...he isn't even a good backup.

There's a reason why he hasn't seen the field in 3 years...he sucks.

I hope Orton can play. Orton on one leg is better than a spleenless Chris Simms

rcsodak
11-17-2009, 10:38 PM

Except he's actually PLAYED the game, and understands mojo and the ups/downs of the game.

I'm glad he was asked and spoke up. Maybe by his seeing what's going on, Nolan will maybe realize that EVERYBODY sees it, and changes some stuff up!

ingRed....I'm ashamed of you. Who ARE you?:cool:

rcsodak
11-17-2009, 10:40 PM

Ok, ingRed....

...WHAT, that he said, do you disagree with? We'll start at the beginning. ;)

Denver27og
11-18-2009, 01:12 AM

I would rather hear what elway has to say about the broncos than most writers or experts.. Don't really think anyone gives a dam that u don't give a dam what elway has to say.. yes he retired in 1999 after he won us 2 superbowls.. Show some respect fool..

Shazam!
11-18-2009, 01:26 AM
I take what John says as gospel. However. Even as he is the greatest ex-Bronco, he didn't really say anything that hasn't been repeated here previously. Nothing too special about that. It's not like he's telling us what we didn't already know.

EastCoastBronco
11-18-2009, 07:45 AM
I like it when John speaks up.

Me too. He's like the Vito Corleone for the Broncos family. When he speaks people listen...He's earned that respect.

broncofaninfla
11-18-2009, 08:51 AM
Elway will always be an unofficial ambassador for the Broncos. His opinion does carry weight with it IMO, more so than any scrub writer who never played the position. When Elway talks, I’ll always listen.

HORSEPOWER 56
11-18-2009, 09:27 AM
Simms job is to be able to come in and be effective in a game if a) the starting QB gets injured or b) the starting QB gets benched.

He didn't do his job. He didn't sustain any drives and only coverted 1 third down the entire 2nd half.

He failed as a backup miserably, and he fails period.

I can't believe we paid that much to the guy...he isn't even a good backup.

There's a reason why he hasn't seen the field in 3 years...he sucks.

I hope Orton can play. Orton on one leg is better than a spleenless Chris Simms

I agree with you to an extent. Chris Simms was good enough at one point to lead a team to the playoffs. He should have played better last week but he stunk it up. He was rusty and seemed lost out there. I just hope he and Orton are BOTH getting reps this week because even if he starts, I don't see Orton finishing the game. Having a bad ankle probably isn't something he can play through a whole game, and if he gets sacked even once, the chances go way up he'll get knocked out of the game.

I'm not even sure Orton will play. Mid-week "Questionables" often turn into "game time decisions" which usually turn out as "DNP". So far, I haven't heard a lot of encouraging stuff about Orton's health.

Hopefully, Simms is getting reps this week with the starters so he can be a little more ready if called on this week. I think Simms will do better (anything is better than his performance last week) with more reps in practice with the 1st team. Either way, I don't think it will make a difference this week. SD is coming off of two HUGE wins and have won 4 straight. We're coming off of 3 disappointing losses and seem to have lost any swagger we had. The defense seems to realize that there isn't much hope of help from the offense and they're trying to do too much which has caused them to lose some of their fundamentals that they were playing with early on.

Ravage!!!
11-18-2009, 11:37 AM
You have a QB that hasn't played football or a couple years, doesn't get many reps at practice, comes into the game in the second half of after 2 months into the season, and we are shocked that he wasn't sharp? I don't find it so shocking, really.

Overtime
11-18-2009, 11:45 AM
i don't see Elway's comments as "ripping" Chris Simms. He was just saying the Broncos expected better out of Simms.

Had Elway ripped him he'd have said something along the lines of "3 of 13? are you kidding me? Terry Bradshaw (or some other obsolete QB) could have stepped in and done a better job than that worthless punk."

that would have been "ripping". OP needs to learn what "ripping" is, because that certainly wasn't it, but nice way to over exaggerate the story.

Denver27og
11-18-2009, 07:34 PM
You have a QB that hasn't played football or a couple years, doesn't get many reps at practice, comes into the game in the second half of after 2 months into the season, and we are shocked that he wasn't sharp? I don't find it so shocking, really.

yea seriously... dont give up on simms yet... give the guy a break... orton is kind of like having jake plummer with out the mobility

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
11-18-2009, 08:42 PM
Don't be ridiculous, Orton will start and Orton will finish.

Know what else? He'll win.