PDA

View Full Version : Gradishar, Zimmerman Hall Finalists...

TheSportsGuru
01-16-2008, 07:39 AM
Unfortunately, TD is not...:mad:

http://www.milehighreport.com/story/2008/1/16/73641/8598

TXBRONC
01-16-2008, 08:18 AM
Right now I think Randy greater injustice because of how long he's had to wait.

BOSSHOGG30
01-16-2008, 09:46 AM
You know neither will get it... Guarantee Chris Carter and Darrell Green get in... Usually 4 to 5 guys get in.... There are two right there... then you have to think this is the year that Ray Guy and Art Monk get in as well. I just don't see Zimmerman getting in... Gradishar has the best chance, but it doesn't look good.

Fan in Exile
01-16-2008, 10:06 AM
If I'm not mistaken, didn't they in the past year increase the number of people who can get in to 7 so that they can work on the back log of deserving guys? If so I think Zimmerman and Gradishar could get in.

cpr940
01-16-2008, 11:04 AM
Unfortunately, TD is not...:mad:

http://www.milehighreport.com/story/2008/1/16/73641/8598

I would say Gradishear and Zimmerman have more legitimate claims than TD.

tubby
01-16-2008, 11:21 AM
Next year one of these 2 or TD will get in with Sharpe.

Multiple Broncos 2009!

atwater27
01-16-2008, 11:46 AM
I would say Gradishear and Zimmerman have more legitimate claims than TD.

Ummmm. I sense a lively debate here. Factor in TD's postseason stats, success and honors and it isn't even a race.

The Glue Factory
01-16-2008, 12:10 PM
Ummmm. I sense a lively debate here. Factor in TD's postseason stats, success and honors and it isn't even a race.

Unfortunately, if you look at career stats for running backs, TD isn't even close to most HOFers. The only arguments that support TD is a 2k season and Gayle Sayers. I highly doubt the HOF voting committee will correct the "mistake" of Gayle Sayers with another mistake in TD.

Sad to say that if TD had another 2 or 3 years, he'd probably be a lock for HOF induction. Unfortunately, injuries likely cut any chance of TD being in the HOF. :rolleyes:

Italianmobstr7
01-16-2008, 12:10 PM
I don't see how TD isn't making it. I watched Super Bowl XXXII yesterday, and Super Bowl XXXIII a few days ago, and I don't understand what else he needs to do to get in. The guy even in his short career, brought some Super Bowls to Denver, ran for more yards in a season (including playoffs) than ANY PLAYER IN HISTORY. He became just the 5th player to run for over 2,000 yards. If people go back and watch him play, I don't see how they can't say "that's one of the greatest running backs ever." The guy was amazing. He was a perfect combination of size, speed, power, and he could catch, and block. He was an all around, perfect back. He deserves the Hall. As well as Zimmerman and Gradishar.

The Glue Factory
01-16-2008, 12:13 PM
I don't see how TD isn't making it. I watched Super Bowl XXXII yesterday, and Super Bowl XXXIII a few days ago, and I don't understand what else he needs to do to get in. The guy even in his short career, brought some Super Bowls to Denver, ran for more yards in a season (including playoffs) than ANY PLAYER IN HISTORY. He became just the 5th player to run for over 2,000 yards. If people go back and watch him play, I don't see how they can't say "that's one of the greatest running backs ever." The guy was amazing. He was a perfect combination of size, speed, power, and he could catch, and block. He was an all around, perfect back. He deserves the Hall. As well as Zimmerman and Gradishar.

One of the requirements in voting is longevity. That alone will likely prevent TD from induction. I pray I'm wrong but I'm not holding my breath for TD.

Italianmobstr7
01-16-2008, 12:16 PM
If he doesn't get in (regardless of how long he played) then it's a freaking travesty.

cpr940
01-16-2008, 01:21 PM

You're right.

Gradishear and Zimmerman would have even more legitimate cases, if stats were kept for their positions as thoroughly as they are for running backs.

TD had 4 great years.

Gradishear was considered to be elite by the writers and his peers of the time, just not as flamboyant or quotable as Deacon Jones or any of the Pittsburgh linebackers. He was a smart technician who rarely missed a call or a play.

Zimmerman got to 7 pro bowls and was named and All Pro 9 times in a twelve year career. Not an easy feat for a lineman, especially since once he got to the AFC, Bruce Matthews was playing the same position. And I think Bruce Matthews is the greatest OL in history.

My argument is not that TD does not garner merit, but that he won't get enough votes. Zimmerman and Gradishear are much more likely get voted in. They also deserve it.

NameUsedBefore
01-16-2008, 01:21 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Gradishar#NFL_career

Should've been in the HoF decades ago.

Broncolingus
01-16-2008, 01:26 PM
Should all of them be in the Hall (Zim, Grad, and even TD) = of course.

Is it likely NONE of them will get voted in = of course.

If Gradishar played in NY, he'd have been in by now. Would've taken some time, but he'd been in for sure.

If Sayers is in, then TD gets in.

Zim is still my biggest question mark...I'd thought he'd have made it by now, even with the fact he played for Denver.

Watchthemiddle
01-16-2008, 01:34 PM
Both Zim and Grad get in this year.
2 Broncos in Canton

Sharpe and TD get in next year. They are just keeping TD's inductment for Sharpe since they were teamates and without the two of them no SB would have ever been won.

slim
01-16-2008, 01:39 PM
I hope Gradishar gets in. He was an absolute beast.

Skinny
01-16-2008, 02:20 PM
I hope Gradishar gets in. He was an absolute beast.I concur ...

I have a itchy feeling in my stomach that he does. That or it's the Breakfast Burrito i had ...

TXBRONC
01-16-2008, 11:14 PM
As I said right now Randy is most deserving in my opinion. Gradishar was every bit as good as Jack Lambert, he just doesn't sport four Super Bowl rings.

broncogirl7
01-16-2008, 11:22 PM
It was good to see them getting nominated, finally. I think Gradishar deserves it and will get in this year.

tubby
01-17-2008, 12:27 AM
It was good to see them getting nominated, finally. I think Gradishar deserves it and will get in this year.

They have both been nominated numorous times. :shocked:

keithbishop
01-17-2008, 04:07 AM
As I said right now Randy is most deserving in my opinion. Gradishar was every bit as good as Jack Lambert, he just doesn't sport four Super Bowl rings.

Absolutely. Zimmerman belongs as well, but it sickens me that Gradishar isn't already in the HOF.

broncogirl7
01-17-2008, 07:19 AM
They have both been nominated numorous times. :shocked:

Sooo! Don't you think it was good they were at least nominated again?! :eek:

MileHighWrath
01-17-2008, 09:35 AM
I'm not holding my breath. It's insane that there is only one Bronco in the HOF. I know it will be two when Sharpe's time comes around but to not have a few in already speaks volumes about the ineptitude and irrelevance of the institution.

The Glue Factory
01-17-2008, 09:56 AM
Yup! Louis Wright, Gradishar, Zimmerman should all have been inducted long, long ago.

pnbronco
01-17-2008, 01:37 PM
Absolutely. Zimmerman belongs as well, but it sickens me that Gradishar isn't already in the HOF.

You are so right KB. It's just a crime that Gradishar is not in it, I hope they make it right this year. I think Zimmerman belongs also, but it's time for Gradishar.

tubby
01-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Sooo! Don't you think it was good they were at least nominated again?! :eek:

What do you mean "Sooo!" ?? :shocked:

You said it was good to see them finally get nominated. I was simply pointing out that they have both been nominated before.

Yes, being nominated for the HOF is good. Now go change your tampon and quit being so hositle. Biaaatch!

topscribe
01-17-2008, 02:34 PM
Both Zim and Grad get in this year.
2 Broncos in Canton

Sharpe and TD get in next year. They are just keeping TD's inductment for Sharpe since they were teamates and without the two of them no SB would have ever been won.

Nice scenario.

Then we would have one injustice left: Floyd Little.

-----

BOSSHOGG30
01-17-2008, 03:52 PM
What about Ray May?

broncosfanscott
01-17-2008, 05:28 PM
Glad to see that Gradishar and Zimmerman are on the final ballot. While I would love to see both in the HOF, I think at least Gradishar will finally get his call so Elway won't be the only Bronco in Canton. It will truely be sweet if both are put in.

2 Broncos in one year. :beer:

Let's hope because history really hasn't been on our side.

TXBRONC
01-17-2008, 06:49 PM
Glad to see that Gradishar and Zimmerman are on the final ballot. While I would love to see both in the HOF, I think at least Gradishar will finally get his call so Elway won't be the only Bronco in Canton. It will truely be sweet if both are put in.

2 Broncos in one year. :beer:

Let's hope because history really hasn't been on our side.

I'll be happy if just Randy makes it. In my opinion he's more deserving because he's had to wait longer.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-17-2008, 09:11 PM
Guess no trip to canton this year...

claymore
01-17-2008, 09:14 PM
Nice scenario.

Then we would have one injustice left: Floyd Little.

-----
He will never make it IMO. Sad.......................... :tsk:

broncosfanscott
01-17-2008, 11:15 PM
I'll be happy if just Randy makes it. In my opinion he's more deserving because he's had to wait longer.

You got that right. I never got to see him play because I was too young and from what I heard of him and the career he had, I was surprised when I found out that he wasn't in the HOF. I mean he was a big part of the Orange Crush defense, so hopefully 2008 is his turn.

TXBRONC
01-17-2008, 11:29 PM
You got that right. I never got to see him play because I was too young and from what I heard of him and the career he had, I was surprised when I found out that he wasn't in the HOF. I mean he was a big part of the Orange Crush defense, so hopefully 2008 is his turn.

I did get to see him play and yes he was that. He was a tackling machine. In 1978 he had 286 tackles.

TXBRONC
01-17-2008, 11:43 PM
You're right.

Gradishear and Zimmerman would have even more legitimate cases, if stats were kept for their positions as thoroughly as they are for running backs.

TD had 4 great years.

Gradishear was considered to be elite by the writers and his peers of the time, just not as flamboyant or quotable as Deacon Jones or any of the Pittsburgh linebackers. He was a smart technician who rarely missed a call or a play.

Zimmerman got to 7 pro bowls and was named and All Pro 9 times in a twelve year career. Not an easy feat for a lineman, especially since once he got to the AFC, Bruce Matthews was playing the same position. And I think Bruce Matthews is the greatest OL in history.

My argument is not that TD does not garner merit, but that he won't get enough votes. Zimmerman and Gradishear are much more likely get voted in. They also deserve it.

Jack Ham, Jack Lambert and Harry Carson are contemporaries of Gradishar and they got in.

Cleveland Rocks
01-18-2008, 12:11 AM
Yay!

Another year of no Modell.

TXBRONC
01-18-2008, 08:23 AM
Yay!

Another year of no Modell.

CR I know you're not big fan of Art Modell and if this thread was about him I would join you in chorus but since it is not please leave him out of the conversation.

topscribe
01-18-2008, 04:31 PM
CR I know you're not big fan of Art Modell and if this thread was about him I would join you in chorus but since it is not please leave him out of the conversation.

That was just a quick side comment by CR.

I saw nothing wrong with it.

-----

Poet
01-18-2008, 04:41 PM
Jack Ham, Jack Lambert and Harry Carson are contemporaries of Gradishar and they got in.

I am not all that familar with Gradishar, how dominant of a player was he?

xzn
01-18-2008, 06:17 PM

How much time do you have on your hands :coffee:

PatricktheDookie
01-18-2008, 08:05 PM

Averaged 200 tackles per season in a 10 year career.

Made all-pro and pro-bowl numerous times.

He was not flashy, but he was maybe the best wrap-up tackler ever. He simply never missed a guy.

His exclusion from the HoF is its single greatest travesty.

TXBRONC
01-18-2008, 08:53 PM

He was not flashy, but he was maybe the best wrap-up tackler ever. He simply never missed a guy.

No kidding.

Lonestar
01-19-2008, 11:57 PM

However the numbers have been questioned by the voters as they were compiled by the Broncos this was prior to the Zaccaria's group that now formulates stats.

That seems to be the only rap and because he played for US that is.

He was a mild mannered MLB that got the job done. I meet him several times when I worked for Avis he was spokesman for the Dodge dealership on so Colorado BLVD. We bought a bunch of cars from them.. they did most of our warranty work for us.

He was a great guy. Was at various company functions/parties we attended.. Had a signed 1977 Super Bowl by everyone Bronco football he got for me.

It got lost in the divorce, I often wondered how much she sold it for.

pnbronco
01-20-2008, 07:56 PM

The man is 100% class. It is a total travesty that he is not in the HoF. I really hope this is the year. I wish he and Meck could give tackle lesson down at Dove.

mclark
01-22-2008, 11:45 AM
Zimmerman will get it. Gradishar was a quietly spectacular player, the best defender I've ever seen in short-yardage and around the goal-line. He was the heart-and-soul of the Orange Crush defense.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-30-2008, 10:49 PM
http://www.nfl.com/halloffame/story?id=09000d5d80983385&template=with-video&confirm=true

I doubt you will hear my name mentioned when Gary Zimmerman makes his speech Saturday night at the Hall of Fame enshrinement ceremony, but it wouldn't be out of the question if he thanked me for the honor. After all, if I had done my job a little better, there's a good chance Zimmerman would not be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Zimmerman was a high school linebacker from California when he arrived at the University of Oregon as a 6-foot-5, 235-pound freshman in 1980. The Ducks moved him to the interior offensive line, and while he gained 30 pounds over the next four years, he remained a center/guard. And why not? In a 1983 game against Cal, Zimmerman was actually named Pac-10 Offensive Player of the Week -- unheard of for an interior offensive lineman.

Needless to say, Zimmerman was regarded as the premier offensive lineman in Oregon history. This is where I entered the picture.

The upstart USFL had recently been formed and was trying to make a splash by signing big-name college talent. A number of NFL team executives were dispatched to reach out to various prospects to convince them to stick with our league. I was assigned to Steve Young, Reggie White and Zimmerman (0-for-3!).

Zimmerman called me one night during the 1984 combine workouts in Seattle to let me know he was signing a contract the next day with the Los Angeles Express. He started his career there as an offensive guard. As luck would have it for him, Express left tackle Mark Adickes suffered a knee injury early in the '84 season and Zimmerman filled in for him.

If Zimmerman went straight to the NFL as a guard, who knows if he would have been moved to tackle? I'm sure he would have had a terrific career as a guard, but would it have been a Hall of Fame career?

Zimmerman was drafted by the New York Giants in a special supplemental draft in 1984. When the USFL ceased operations, he told the Giants he would retire rather than play in New York, so the Giants traded his rights to Minnesota for two second-round picks. He became an immediate starter as a "rookie" with the Vikings. In his seven years with Minnesota, he was named All-Pro four times.

In 1993, the relationship between Zimmerman and the Vikings became acrimonious. Zimmerman wanted to draw some of the deferred money that was owed to him, and then-Vikings general manager Roger Headrick wanted to penalize him for taking the money early. For the second time, Zimmerman threatened to retire. Headrick didn't help matters when he told Zimmerman, "If you retire now, you can look forward to flipping burgers the rest of your life."

By August of '93, the Denver Broncos stepped in and traded for Zimmerman -- sending a first-round pick, second-round pick and sixth-round pick to Minnesota. After earning three Pro Bowl nods with the Vikings, he made the Pro Bowl squad four more times as a Bronco. More importantly, he helped Denver win Super Bowl XXXII -- and then rode off into the sunset, retiring as a champion.

Zimmerman was one of those guys who had great feet and long arms. He didn't overpower you as a blocker, but the man he was blocking rarely made the play.

The player who gave Zimmerman the most problems in Denver was someone who was also a finalist for the Class of '08 -- the late Derrick Thomas. Zimmerman told me that he usually played well against Thomas in Denver -- but it was the crowd noise in Kansas City that made it tougher for him to handle Thomas' quick first step.

One of the few players in NFL history to be named to two All-Decade teams, Zimmerman hasn't forgotten that things could have been different for him. The first thing he said to me when I spoke to him after his election to the Hall of Fame was, "I'm sure glad you didn't talk me out of playing in the USFL."

SmilinAssasSin27
07-30-2008, 10:52 PM
I can't wait til I go to Canton on Saturday.