30 (196) Jacksonville Jaguars - Emanuel Smith, WR Arkansas
31 (197) Tennessee Titans - Robaire Smith, DE Michigan State
32 (198) St. Louis Rams - Matt Bowen, DB Iowa
33 (199) New England Patriots - Tom Brady, QB Michigan

atwater27
01-16-2008, 06:48 AM
7th round....
8 (214) Denver Broncos - Jarious Jackson, QB Notre Dame

I wonder if Shanahan would admit or not if he was considering Brady at some point in that draft, considering a round later we selected a QB. Hell, Even Mark Bulger would have helped us tremendously. I know (HS2020)
Pretty eye opening how much talent was left in the 6th round, especially when you see how horrible the 1st round selections ended up.

MHCBill
01-16-2008, 08:47 AM
The draft is a crap-shoot!!!

G_Money
01-16-2008, 04:18 PM
The draft is a crap-shoot!!!

I hate that term.

People seem to use it as a crutch when their teams don't draft well (not saying you are :beer:). Everything in the draft is a percentage chance of success, true, but you can add to your successes with good scouting and good strategy.

It's not like pulling a handle on a slot machine, more like playing blackjack. If you're on 19, STAY. Sure, you can get busted by two face cards, but trying to find a 2 in the deck is a very unlikely proposition. :confused:

Draft the guys early that you know have the best percentage chance to work out, and them maximize your draft late with undervalued commodities and scheme-specific choices.

I would never have taken 3 DL in last year's draft, for instance. For better or worse, I would look at the cost (1st round, 2nd round, 3rd round [to trade up], 3rd round this year and 6th round [for Thomas in the 4th]) and I would look at the rate of return on DTs (among the two lowest positions to have success at in the draft) and I wouldn't pull the trigger on all of those guys. I like Thomas though because he's a value DT - 4th round pick, 1st round potential. Those are the guys you look for w/ 2nd day picks. His character concerns caused him to drop, and the Broncos determined that they were not as big a concern as some others thought. Thomas has been a model citizen thus far and is the DL most likely to make a huge leap forward in a different scheme.

Look at a draft's strengths and its weaknesses, and try not to draft to its weaknesses. If you need a safety and it's a draft thin on safeties, then either draft one early, find a conversion project, or go without.

In this draft, for instance, there are 3 or 4 safeties I could live with, and a couple of corner-to-safety or LB-to-safety projects that interest me as high-risk, high-reward 2nd day picks, and other than that...let it go. You have other needs that can be met with more satisfactory players.

Don't take a QB in the 1st just to take one if he's not a 1st round QB. Otherwise you'll be back in 2 years over-rating another QB because your last reach pick is flopping all over the field like a dying fish.

When a GM does those things and then complains, "Well, the draft is all chance anyway" it simply isn't true. The draft is some percentage chance, and some percentage luck, and some percentage skill.

Abdicating on the skill part of the equation doesn't make it less applicable. This isn't drawing straws, it's reasoned gambling. Yes, the House has the odds in its favor but you can still maximize your own odds.

If you're not willing to do that as a GM, then at least be willing to accept the blame when you allow the House to win against you more than it does against your fellow general managers. :coffee:

~G

CoachChaz
01-16-2008, 04:22 PM
The draft is only a crap shoot when your team is incapable of utilizing it properly. Yes, there will always be late round talents that fall through the cracks, but that happens in every sport. For the teams that have a clue as to what the draft is about, there is no gambling involved.

atwater27
01-16-2008, 04:27 PM
Amen to that G.
I don't know how many times I have seen the worst 10 teams reach for a QB in the 1st. It hardly ever works out. You are more likely to see a 3rd through 6th round pick at QB that will contribute far far more than a 1st or second round reach. I keep on thinking of the 49ers picking up Alex Smith and just saying "UGH you guys are gonna be drafting another QB high in the next couple of years." Probably the worst position to reach for, because of the massively high profile of it all, and the intense pressure to just throw the poor guy in there with little or no proper training.

WARHORSE
01-16-2008, 06:01 PM
The draft is only a crap shoot when your team is incapable of utilizing it properly. Yes, there will always be late round talents that fall through the cracks, but that happens in every sport. For the teams that have a clue as to what the draft is about, there is no gambling involved.

Coach...............I gotta disagree.:salute:

I totally think gambling is involved here, and to a great level.

Some gamble better than others.

But you can still have pocket bullets, bust on the river.

It happens, and theres no greater sense of logic gonna stop it.

A large part of that equation is injuries.

MHCBill
01-16-2008, 06:35 PM
I hate that term.

People seem to use it as a crutch when their teams don't draft well (not saying you are :beer:). Everything in the draft is a percentage chance of success, true, but you can add to your successes with good scouting and good strategy.

It's not like pulling a handle on a slot machine, more like playing blackjack. If you're on 19, STAY. Sure, you can get busted by two face cards, but trying to find a 2 in the deck is a very unlikely proposition. :confused:

Draft the guys early that you know have the best percentage chance to work out, and them maximize your draft late with undervalued commodities and scheme-specific choices.

I would never have taken 3 DL in last year's draft, for instance. For better or worse, I would look at the cost (1st round, 2nd round, 3rd round [to trade up], 3rd round this year and 6th round [for Thomas in the 4th]) and I would look at the rate of return on DTs (among the two lowest positions to have success at in the draft) and I wouldn't pull the trigger on all of those guys. I like Thomas though because he's a value DT - 4th round pick, 1st round potential. Those are the guys you look for w/ 2nd day picks. His character concerns caused him to drop, and the Broncos determined that they were not as big a concern as some others thought. Thomas has been a model citizen thus far and is the DL most likely to make a huge leap forward in a different scheme.

Look at a draft's strengths and its weaknesses, and try not to draft to its weaknesses. If you need a safety and it's a draft thin on safeties, then either draft one early, find a conversion project, or go without.

In this draft, for instance, there are 3 or 4 safeties I could live with, and a couple of corner-to-safety or LB-to-safety projects that interest me as high-risk, high-reward 2nd day picks, and other than that...let it go. You have other needs that can be met with more satisfactory players.

Don't take a QB in the 1st just to take one if he's not a 1st round QB. Otherwise you'll be back in 2 years over-rating another QB because your last reach pick is flopping all over the field like a dying fish.

When a GM does those things and then complains, "Well, the draft is all chance anyway" it simply isn't true. The draft is some percentage chance, and some percentage luck, and some percentage skill.

Abdicating on the skill part of the equation doesn't make it less applicable. This isn't drawing straws, it's reasoned gambling. Yes, the House has the odds in its favor but you can still maximize your own odds.

If you're not willing to do that as a GM, then at least be willing to accept the blame when you allow the House to win against you more than it does against your fellow general managers. :coffee:

~GI agree.

Crap-shoot is the WRONG term.

Stargazer
01-16-2008, 06:42 PM
Neil Rackers, K Illinois

He's kicking for the Arizona Cardinals.

Stargazer
01-16-2008, 06:44 PM
Dhani Jones, LB Michigan

He's playing for the Bengals.

Not a bad 6th round from 8 years ago.

Watchthemiddle
01-16-2008, 06:44 PM

I gave you a high 5, but after thinking about it, do you really think Shanny knew what Sharpe and TD would bring to this team, or NE knew what Brady would bring.

I agree with you to a point, but I feel that the later rounds are a crap shoot. No one really knows after round 4 what a player can bring. Its all a gamble. But then again, so is round 1-4.

I would take the player drafted say rounds 4-7 over 1-3 any day. SO in that essence, maybe its not a crap shoot. The later rounded players want it more then the earlier rounds that have everything handed to them. I think I have rambled long enough.

Stargazer
01-16-2008, 06:47 PM
Robaire Smith, DE plays for the Cleveland Browns.

dogfish
01-17-2008, 04:01 AM
Neil Rackers, K Illinois

He's kicking for the Arizona Cardinals.

Dhani Jones, LB Michigan

He's playing for the Bengals.

Not a bad 6th round from 8 years ago.

Robaire Smith, DE plays for the Cleveland Browns.

paul edinger kicked for the bears and vikings. . . jeno james started for carolina and miami. . . . michael hawthorne and matt bowen have both kicked around the league. . . pretty damn good 6th round!

jhns
01-17-2008, 01:15 PM
I or NE knew what Brady would bring.

I read an article not that long ago where Bellicheat was talking about the drafting of Brady. He said that his team would have taken him LONG before the 6th round if they would have known that he was even partially as good as he has turned out.

AFGAHNI_BATTLE_DONKEY
01-17-2008, 08:32 PM
ryan leaf
2nd pick overall and was an absoulute stud in college? what happend? did the chargers get unlucky or did they not study enough and used the draft correctly.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-17-2008, 09:23 PM
Robaire Smith is also worthy of being underlined. He has clearly outperformed his round 6 status.

Cleveland Rocks
01-17-2008, 10:47 PM
Those players are the exception.

A vast majority of 6th and 7th round picks do not make it in the NFL.

LRtagger
01-18-2008, 10:02 AM
I read an article not that long ago where Bellicheat was talking about the drafting of Brady. He said that his team would have taken him LONG before the 6th round if they would have known that he was even partially as good as he has turned out.

Well obviously...if the league's GM's had known how good Brady would be, he would have been selected #1 overall. The guy's going to end up being one of the best to ever play the game and he was a late 6th round pick. :laugh:

MOtorboat
01-18-2008, 10:13 AM
Those players are the exception.

A vast majority of 6th and 7th round picks do not make it in the NFL.

Come on CR, quit trying to make a sound argument about the reality of picking in the sixth and seventh rounds. Everyone knows that its because of Shanahan that the Broncos consistently don't find top-flight talent in the latter rounds of the draft....:D

BOSSHOGG30
01-18-2008, 10:26 AM
ryan leaf
2nd pick overall and was an absoulute stud in college? what happend? did the chargers get unlucky or did they not study enough and used the draft correctly.

They threw him to the wolves to early... he was what you call a raw talent... all the skill in the world, but he needed time to watch and develop before he actually played.

CoachChaz
01-18-2008, 10:33 AM
They threw him to the wolves to early... he was what you call a raw talent... all the skill in the world, but he needed time to watch and develop before he actually played.

A little Prozac might have helped as well.

jhns
01-18-2008, 11:34 AM
Well obviously...if the league's GM's had known how good Brady would be, he would have been selected #1 overall. The guy's going to end up being one of the best to ever play the game and he was a late 6th round pick. :laugh:

This is why I think it is dumb to say that we missed out on "insert name" 5 years after a draft has taken place. If anyone would have known these later round guys where good then all 32 teams wouldn't have passed on them for multiple rounds. I don't really get why people go back and make these comparisons like they mean something. Even the people that did eventually draft them didn't think they where going to be that good.

Cleveland Rocks
01-20-2008, 03:36 PM
Robaire Smith is also worthy of being underlined. He has clearly outperformed his round 6 status.

He's average at best. He's a 2 down player. DE is another major area the Browns need to address.