PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Orton Will Play, Says Michael Lombardi . . .

topscribe
11-17-2009, 02:14 AM
Broncos’ Orton will play despite ankle injury (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/11/16/broncos-orton-will-play-despite-ankle-injury/)

Posted: November 16th, 2009 | NFL.com Staff

NFL Network insider Michael Lombardi is reporting Denver Broncos QB Kyle
Orton will play this week against the San Diego Chargers despite an injured
left ankle.

Orton sat out the second half (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d814341d4&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true) of Sunday’s 27-17 loss to the Redskins (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009111507/2009/REG10/broncos@redskins) after he
was injured during a scramble late in the first half, and refused to speculate on
the severity of the injury following the game.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/11/16/broncos-orton-will-play-despite-ankle-injury/

-----

Shazam!
11-17-2009, 02:35 AM
I figured he would. ESPN 1050 Sportscenter reported it today too and I posted it here.

I guess he is so mediocre he isn't so easy to replace.

topscribe
11-17-2009, 02:40 AM
I figured he would. ESPN 1050 Sportscenter reported it today too and I posted it here.

I guess he is so mediocre he isn't so easy to replace.

I missed that. Where did you post it?

-----

Shazam!
11-17-2009, 03:10 AM
http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84345&page=2

Your source is more official Top. Wasn't trying to steal your thunder!

sneakers
11-17-2009, 03:28 AM
That's good news.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
11-17-2009, 03:33 AM
Just because Kyle Orton doesn't wow you with his throwing into quadruple coverage like that goon jay cutler doesn't mean he's average. Kyle Orton is the man. All Kyle Orton does is grow neckbeards and win football games.

Dirk
11-17-2009, 06:30 AM
I am very happy to hear this!! I just hope that his injury isn't something that will throw him off his game.

Big weight off my mind!!

Nomad
11-17-2009, 07:22 AM
Hopefully the Chargers don't play 'cheap' and go after his ankle (I know they will). I believe Orton could run circles around Simms even on a broken leg, so I'm really glad to hear this. Now if he could get help from his oline, defense, and ST everything would be hunky dory!!

SOCALORADO.
11-17-2009, 08:54 AM
Orton plays well, and DEN wins.
DEN 21
SD 17

camdisco24
11-17-2009, 09:35 AM
We need Orton so this is good news.
Still can't believe people were calling for Simms to start last weeks game...

Shazam!
11-17-2009, 10:01 AM
SD is going to be ****ing sorry.

Superchop 7
11-17-2009, 12:57 PM
Playing with a high ankle sprain ?

One good hit.....

He is on the sidelines.

Thats OK.

Thank God we have Simms to back him up.

LawDog
11-17-2009, 12:59 PM
... All Kyle Orton does is grow neckbeards and win football games.

Neither of which he has done lately... :tsk:

Ravage!!!
11-17-2009, 01:06 PM
wll thats good. We'll need him for this game. This is the most important game of the year for the Broncos, and the Chargers. Winner could very easily be going onward into the playoffs, and the loser could very easily be sitting home.

GEM
11-17-2009, 01:15 PM
Playing with a high ankle sprain ?

One good hit.....

He is on the sidelines.

Thats OK.

Thank God we have Simms to back him up.

Maybe we should give Patrick Ramsey a call back.

:lol:

Dean
11-17-2009, 03:10 PM
It was pretty obvious last week that if we have to go to Chris Simms we are in trouble. However, Orton last year had a high ankle sprain and came back too early. He played poorly the rest of the season.

Pray that the O-line and RB keeps him clean the whole game.

BroncoWave
11-17-2009, 03:47 PM
I know this won't happen unless both guys get hurt but I'd be interested in seeing how Brandstater would do if Orton couldn't go. I'm not sure if someone could play QB worse than Simms did last week so it could be worth a shot.

Lonestar
11-17-2009, 04:41 PM
I know this won't happen unless both guys get hurt but I'd be interested in seeing how Brandstater would do if Orton couldn't go. I'm not sure if someone could play QB worse than Simms did last week so it could be worth a shot.

for the guy running the scout team to playing is not pretty, hope we do not get to that point.. because if we do the season is pretty much kaput..

BroncoWave
11-17-2009, 04:42 PM
for the guy running the scout team to playing is not pretty, hope we do not get to that point.. because if we do the season is pretty much kaput..

Well the season would be over with Simms too, so might as well get the rookie reps at that point.

Lonestar
11-17-2009, 04:43 PM
Well the season would be over with Simms too, so might as well get the rookie reps at that point.

lets cross that bridge if we get there.. I agree Simms does not seem to be the future of this team..

dunk7
11-17-2009, 05:00 PM
Would have liked to see Simms get a week's worth of preparation to see what he can truly do. I don't have a good feeling about Neck Beard...I foresee his Baltimore type stats

Zweems56
11-17-2009, 05:01 PM
Would have liked to see Simms get a week's worth of preparation to see what he can truly do. I don't have a good feeling about Neck Beard...I foresee his Baltimore type stats

Be prepared for 400 yards through the air, and 4 touchdowns. Neckbeard is bringin the heat on sunday afternoon.

Requiem / The Dagda
11-17-2009, 05:15 PM
Will Denver Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton rebound after an ankle injury kept him out of the second half of last Sunday's affair or will the Broncos continue their free fall!?

dunk7
11-17-2009, 05:16 PM
Be prepared for 400 yards through the air, and 4 touchdowns. Neckbeard is bringin the heat on sunday afternoon.

I hope you are right...

topscribe
11-17-2009, 05:19 PM

Why? Do you picture the Chargers as a Baltimore-type team?

-----

T.K.O.
11-17-2009, 05:22 PM
the last i heard was that mcD said we would take it day to day and we might know more on orton's status wed,thurs or friday......
the thread says he WILL play...anybody hear from the team that he will play ?

rcsodak
11-17-2009, 05:24 PM
wll thats good. We'll need him for this game. This is the most important game of the year for the Broncos, and the Chargers. Winner could very easily be going onward into the playoffs, and the loser could very easily be sitting home.

If SD wins, they get to 9-3 in a heartbeat! Cupcakes the next 2 wks.
Even if Denver wins, SD will be 8-4.

Denver plays NYG on a short week after what will be a VERY difficult game, then KC.
Denver wins this weekend, they'll be lucky to be 8-4. IF they lose to SD, 7-5 is looking scarily realistic.

I'm not saying Denver can't/won't beat SD, or NYG, but instead, showing just how important these next two games are.

The season is riding on the next 2 weeks.

rcsodak
11-17-2009, 05:29 PM

In case you didn't notice, your little nickname for the QB is a tad outdated. Maybe you should use try to conjure up a new one that's more up-to-date?

I foresee a repeat of his 1st SD game.....and the same result.

But then again, I'm not a troll.

Ravage!!!
11-17-2009, 05:33 PM

Btw... there are some that will call you a troll UNLESS you predict and guess only GREAT things for the Broncos.

They will correct you if they feel they know Orton's shaving habits, and will call you a troll if you don't think the Broncos will stomp the Chargers

sanluis
11-17-2009, 05:39 PM
Broncos’ Orton will play despite ankle injury (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/11/16/broncos-orton-will-play-despite-ankle-injury/)

Posted: November 16th, 2009 | NFL.com Staff

NFL Network insider Michael Lombardi is reporting Denver Broncos QB Kyle
Orton will play this week against the San Diego Chargers despite an injured
left ankle.

Orton sat out the second half (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d814341d4&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true) of Sunday’s 27-17 loss to the Redskins (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009111507/2009/REG10/broncos@redskins) after he
was injured during a scramble late in the first half, and refused to speculate on
the severity of the injury following the game.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/11/16/broncos-orton-will-play-despite-ankle-injury/

-----

Good!!!!!!!!

I'd rather our guys went against a Bronco team led by "Orton hears a Charger" than Simms any ways.
:D

Ravage!!!
11-17-2009, 05:58 PM
I can't believe that dork Merriman is still doing that retarded dance.

T.K.O.
11-17-2009, 06:02 PM
I can't believe that dork Merriman is still doing that retarded dance.

looks like somebody got a fresh batch of juice !:laugh:

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
11-17-2009, 08:46 PM
looks like somebody got a fresh batch of juice !:laugh:

LMAO definitely looks that way, he's never made a play without the juice so he must be off the bandwagon. Crazy ol' sparklers...

dogfish
11-17-2009, 08:51 PM
:hail: :hail: :hail:

rcsodak
11-17-2009, 09:38 PM
Btw... there are some that will call you a troll UNLESS you predict and guess only GREAT things for the Broncos.

They will correct you if they feel they know Orton's shaving habits, and will call you a troll if you don't think the Broncos will stomp the Chargers

Troll. :coffee:

rcsodak
11-17-2009, 09:44 PM
Good!!!!!!!!

I'd rather our guys went against a Bronco team led by "Orton hears a Charger" than Simms any ways.
:D

Ahhhhh....I see.....reverse psychology.

That has to be it, since the "Orton hears a Charger" *whatever that means* BEAT your bolts already. *wink*

Is hartwig expected back? Will he be an upgrade or rusty? Will merriman be ready or have his head screwed up by his girly's pressing charges? Just wondering, slo.

Poet
11-17-2009, 10:00 PM
Kyle Orton; MONSTROUS WARRIOR OF PWN.

Iron Horse72
11-17-2009, 10:25 PM
How do they know he's going to play this early?

Timmy!
11-18-2009, 01:02 AM
Because Orton is awesome :badass:

Shazam!
11-18-2009, 01:27 AM

I heard this Tuesday afternoon on ESPN 1050.

dogfish
11-18-2009, 02:33 AM

chuck norris told them. . . . :listen:

topscribe
11-18-2009, 02:47 AM
chuck norris told them. . . . :listen:

I thought it was Northradamus . . .

-----

Iron Horse72
11-18-2009, 11:33 AM
So the injury isn't as bad as we thought? or a smoke screen, what do I know.

KCL
11-18-2009, 11:50 AM
Well...thank the football gods for this!

Lonestar
11-18-2009, 02:20 PM
since it is his Left ankle and not his right one that he set up on or pushes off of it is alot less an issue..

but if he has to scramble with either the SAN or NYG pass rush it could be a problem..

BTW he deferred answering if it was a high ankle sprain to Greek or Josh..

topscribe
11-18-2009, 02:36 PM
since it is his Left ankle and not his right one that he set up on or pushes off of it is alot less an issue..

but if he has to scramble with either the SAN or NYG pass rush it could be a problem..

BTW he deferred answering if it was a high ankle sprain to Greek or Josh..

What I'm most concerned about is lateral movement. Last year, Kyle had no
problems running straight forward (insofar as he can run), but he could not slip
and slide in the pocket as well because of his ankle sprain. That is how he can
best evade sacks, so I hope he doesn't have that problem now because he is
going to have a sore ankle for the rest of the season. An ankle just does not
heal unless you stay off it, but, of course, Kyle cannot afford to do that.

-----

rcsodak
11-18-2009, 03:16 PM
What I'm most concerned about is lateral movement. Last year, Kyle had no
problems running straight forward (insofar as he can run), but he could not slip
and slide in the pocket as well because of his ankle sprain. That is how he can
best evade sacks, so I hope he doesn't have that problem now because he is
going to have a sore ankle for the rest of the season. An ankle just does not
heal unless you stay off it, but, of course, Kyle cannot afford to do that.

-----

I'd welcome an extra sack or two, though, to having simms in there throwing mudhens. And it's not like simms avoided any sacks from Washington's rush.

Dean
11-19-2009, 07:40 AM
It sounds to like he won't play after reading this article. If the ligament damage is not allowed to heal, it can have long term consequences. I appreciate the fact that he wants to play.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4668245

Updated: November 18, 2009, 8:18 PM ET
Orton sits as Simms takes repsComment Email Print Share Associated Press

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The ligaments in Kyle Orton's left ankle are torn. He certainly isn't.

Orton adamantly wants to start Sunday against San Diego and help the Denver Broncos snap out of a monthlong funk that has wiped out their 3½-game cushion over the Chargers in the AFC West.

AFC West blog
ESPN.com's Bill Williamson writes about all things AFC West in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

Plus, how can he convince the front office that he should be in the team's long-term plans if he's standing on the sideline sending in signals instead of running Josh McDaniels' offense?

Orton, in the final year of a contract that pays him a relatively paltry $1 million, has played through enough leg injuries to know it's not wise to rush back into action before he's healthy.

He just wasn't the same quarterback in Chicago after spraining his other ankle midway through last season. His interceptions piled up, his passer ratings plummeted and he never rediscovered the touch he had early in the season after he was carted off the field with a sprained ankle against Detroit on Nov. 2.

Eventually, the Bears soured on Orton and sent him and a bevy of draft picks to Denver for Jay Cutler.

Still, his defiance was palpable Wednesday before he sat out practice.

"I came back last year as soon as I could and I'll do the same thing this year," Orton said.

He acknowledged, however, that he rushed back into action last season after sitting out one game. He suffered through a 37-3 loss at Green Bay upon his hasty return, commencing a spiral that ended his tenure in Chicago.

"I wasn't even close for the Green Bay game," Orton admitted. "That's just how it is. I don't know if anybody is feeling 100 percent right now on our team. It's been a physical season and I'm no different."

So, his mindset is he's the starter unless and until McDaniels decides by week's end that backup Chris Simms is.

"I'll come back as fast as I can and try to lead the football team and try to be in the huddle just like everybody else," Orton said. "In this sport you've got to play when you are dinged up and the quarterback is no different."

Besides, Orton said, this injury isn't anything like the one he had a year ago with the Bears.

"A different foot and a different deal. So, it's different," he insisted. "It's not the same foot or the same type of thing. I played with leg injuries in the past. I hope I can do it this time.

"You know, last year was so tough because it was pushing off and that was my back leg, so that was tough. This will present a different challenge, I'm sure, but we'll see if I can play through it."

The Broncos, trying to avoid becoming just the third team in the Super Bowl era to miss the playoffs after winning its first six games, will either send out a quarterback with a puffy ankle to face an improved Chargers pass-rush or one who hasn't started a game since 2006.

Simms, a left-hander, unlike Orton, took the snaps with the starters at practice Wednesday.

Simms is the quarterback best known for having his spleen removed after taking a beating in a loss to Carolina on Sept. 24, 2006, while he was playing for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

He hasn't started a game since that day, although he did start the second half at Washington last week after Orton was hurt on the Broncos' final play from scrimmage before halftime.

Simms was rusty, completing just three passes for 13 yards in 13 attempts in his first extended action since undergoing emergency surgery to remove his spleen three years ago.

"I'm sure that if you look at career statistics of guys coming in the middle of the game as the backup quarterback, I'm sure they're not through the roof," Simms said.

Some snaps with the starters will get his rhythm back, suggested Simms, who has started 16 games in six seasons.

"A few reps will definitely help things out," he said.

Against the Redskins, Simms either fired passes over the heads of his flustered wide receivers Brandon Marshall, Eddie Royal and Jabar Gaffney or bounced balls at their feet.

"I think the biggest thing is getting my eyes right and really just getting timing and rhythm down with the guys," Simms said. "I will get as greased up as I can, and if Kyle is ready to go then it will be all for naught."

Marshall also missed practice Wednesday. The team said he had a neck injury.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

©2009 ESPN Internet Ventures. Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and Safety Information/Your California Privacy Rights are applicable to you. All rights reserved.

Iron Horse72
11-19-2009, 10:08 AM
The Marshall injury must be from the hit he took across the middle.

I sure hope he can go or were really in trouble.

LRtagger
11-19-2009, 03:12 PM
I tore some ligaments in my ankle playing baseball. Kyle's must not be too bad because I couldnt walk on my ankle for a week...much less try to run or plant off it. I was on crutches for 4 or 5 days. It hurt like hell...the entire side of my leg was swollen and had dark red bruises all the way down to my toes. This happened when I was a freshman in college (1999) and it still bothers me to this day.

He could probably throw a brace on it and make it numb, but the long-term effects may not be worth it. If his ankle is as bad as mine was, he has some serious balls if he plays this weekend.

Dean
11-19-2009, 06:19 PM
. This happened when I was a freshman in college (1999) and it still bothers me to this day.

He could probably throw a brace on it and make it numb, but the long-term effects may not be worth it. If his ankle is as bad as mine was, he has some serious balls if he plays this weekend.

Been there done that.:D