PDA

View Full Version : Good place to buy Used Games?

honz
11-16-2009, 10:13 PM
So I decided to go to Gamestop today and check out their Used Games section for some nice deals and the recently released pre-owned games are like 5 dollars less than their new counterparts. I don't exactly have money to spare, but I'd rather pay $5 more for a new game that I know doesn't have any scratches and will work 100% problem free than save $5.

So does anyone know of a good, reliable place to get good deals on used games other than Gamestop...to Gamestop's credit they always let me look at the disc and check it out before committing to buying it and don't try to screw people over. Where do you all buy your used games at?

shank
11-16-2009, 10:16 PM
afghani street vendor

Shazam!
11-16-2009, 10:34 PM
Gamestop (and their affiliates, like EB Games) and Play N Trade are two of the most high profile used game retailers in the biz.

Here's the thing with Gamestop:

While some of their prices are high on newer used titles, you can get games like CoDMW2, Uncharted 2 and ODST for like $10 less if you buy used with your Gamestop card with 10% off.

The benefits of buying used are-

A-They're guaranteed for 30 Days. If there is a scratch or something, you can trade it in for the identical title, no questions asked.

B-You can return the used game within 7 Days for a full refund/exchange it for a different title, no questions asked.

I cannot tell you how many times I'd buy a game, beat it in a few days, then return it and exchange it for something else. This used to be 30 Days, but because everyone was doing this, beating the game then returning it, it was reduced to 7. Nowadays, 7 days is enough time to beat some games. If you don't like it for any reason, you can return it and get something else.

C-There are no refunds on new games, only exchange for same title in the event of a defect. Unless it's a game you really want, you're better off buying used at these chains IMO.

You can also trade in your used games that you no longer play for creidt which is good. Usually older current 360/PS3/Wii titles won't get you too much, but they have Power Trade specials where you get an extra 20% credit on top of your extra 10% with your card, which alone could be enough to get a newer title.

Play N Trade operates very similar. Their prices are a little lower. They let you play any game before purchase, and they resurface every disc regardless of condition when you buy before you take it home, so you know it's in as close to new condition as possible. Their policy is the same as GS. They also sell retro games and systems. This chain is relatively new and harder to find in some areas. Go to their website to find a location near you.

If you have a local GS or PnT and know the management or associates on a regular basis, they'll hook you up too. They took returns I had no business returning before and let me use their employee discount a few times.

GS and PnT pricing is much better than other retail department stroes like Best Buy and Target, with possibly Walmart being the exception.

honz
11-16-2009, 10:41 PM
Wow, thanks Shazam. Lots of good info I didn't know. I guess Gamestop isn't so bad afterall...

Shazam!
11-16-2009, 11:07 PM
Happy to help Bro.

I was shopping used games as far back as the 8 and 16 Bit eras, before it was even mainstream at local private electronic stores in the South Bronx and Harlem. I've been doing business with Gamestop back when they were Funcoland (WTF kind of name was that, idk) in the 90's, so I have some clout with them.

Here's a true story.

I was trading in some games at the location by my gf's house, because the store by me didn't have the game I wanted (I forgot which). When you trade sometimes they want ID (if they know you they don't do this) so I gave them my license and made my purchase. While I was at Buffalo Wild Wings later, I got ID'd for beer and realized I left my license there. I called up, they said they had it and I told them I'd be there in 15 mins.

When I got there they told me they lost it. I was like WTF? They told me to call tomorrow and speak with the manager. I called in the morning and I asked for the manager by name, told the girl on the phone what it was regarding. I heard in the background "That guy again with his license? He called and was here twice yesterday, wtf does he want now?!"

WHAT?!?!

I wanted to get in my car and speed over there like a crazy man with blood on the brain and start killing people. But no, I went the calm, rational approach.

When he got on the phone with me, I informed him that I wasn't some kid buying Pokemon games, nor was I some little puss see from Yonkers and he definitely didnt hear the last from me.

I went to the GS by my house where I know the management and spoke to them about the incident. She gave me the number for Gamestop corporate offices. I spoke to some people, told them exactly what happened and they told me they'd be in contact with me.

Less than an hour later, the district manager called me. I ran off a list of names of store managers I know by name over the years so he knew I was a long time customer, told him how long I was shopping with them, etc etc.

2 hours later, the DM calls me from the location and tells me he tore the place apart and can't find my license. The manager was still there with him, I told him to wait there and I'll be there in 20.

Not only did I get a $100 merchandise credit, I got to face to face explain how I'd have been better off if they told me they didn't find my license, rather than telling me they threw it away AND that I was being a nuisance for inquiring about my license, which in these days of identity theft is even more important than a bank card, which you can call and cancel and get a new one sent to you in 3 days.

That manager no longer has a job. I never saw a company go through so much for a dissatisfied and angry customer. I have to say I was very impressed.

MasterShake
11-16-2009, 11:10 PM
I remember back in my NES days going to Buy Back Games. There is only one left that I know of, and they actually sell old NES and SNES/Genesis games. I've been going there every few weeks to stock up for my NES/SNES dual console. I picked up Final Fantasy II and III for the SNES for $20 in the box with instructions!

Gamestop is not a bad deal as long as you take advantage of trade in credits and coupons. My friend has Gamefly which is like the Netflix of games and that works out well for him. He just finished up COD: Modern Warfare 2 after having it like a week and just sent in for a new game. Thats a good option if you don't want to buy games all the time.

Shazam!
11-16-2009, 11:14 PM
PnT has old NES, SMS, Genesis etc. games starting at like $1. I got games for my TG16 for like $4 each which was a find.