PDA

View Full Version : I'll Go Ahead And Say It: This Is A Must Win. Period.

getlynched47
11-16-2009, 09:49 PM
Here's how things shake up.

Our next 4 games: San Diego, New York, @ Kansas City, @ Indianapolis

San Diego's next 4 games: @ Denver, Kansas City, @ Cleveland, @ Dallas

Call me pessimistic, but I don't see how the Broncos pull off a win against the Giants or Colts. I'm going to work off the assumption that we will beat Kansas City because they are horrible.

As for the Chargers, they will beat Kansas City and Cleveland with ease. The Cowboys aren't that great either, so they could conceivably beat them also.

If we don't beat San Diego, we could conceivably have 1 win in the next month (keep in mind we already haven't had a win in a month, including the bye-week). The Chargers could have 4 wins.

If Chargers beat us, they move into 1st place of the AFC west, followed up by easy games with the Chiefs and Browns, putting them @ 9-3 for the season. Now the rest of their schedule is no cake-walk, but the Chargers are just way too unpredictable and could probably pull off at least 1 or 2 more wins in the remainder of the schedule.

We won't be able to catch up with the Chargers if they beat us because the Giants will also still be playing for the playoffs and the Colts....well they're damn good.

We NEED this one Sunday. It's do or die for the Broncos. I am willing to say that if we do not beat the Chargers this Sunday, chances are that our season might be over OR we'll be fighting for the final wild-card (I predict Steelers get the first Wild-card).

Put up or shut up. Show us you are still the team that started 6-0 :salute::salute::salute: Good luck and Go BRONCOS :defense::beer:

Shazam!
11-16-2009, 10:00 PM
A must win? Really?

shank
11-16-2009, 10:09 PM
A must win? Really?

when i saw the thread title, i initially thought the same thing...

but he supported his argument, and it's plausible.. but there's still a lot of football to play for every team, and we've already seen how things can change in a hurry.

i will not write the season off at all if we don't win, but you're right, it's an important game heading forward.

nevcraw
11-16-2009, 10:26 PM
i totally agree with the premise. If this team has any real hope for the playoffs this and the Giants games are must wins.

They need to restore the early season confidence and sweeping the chargers would be a shot in the jugular.

horsepig
11-16-2009, 10:40 PM
Not to mention a really huge tiebreaker.

Shazam!
11-16-2009, 10:42 PM
Right now, every game is a must win. The room for error is so small now with tough games vs. Indy, NYG and Philly coming up. Every game is like a must win. If they lose Sunday, it's almost all over.

Requiem / The Dagda
11-16-2009, 11:20 PM
Duh. It's obviously important we beat San Diego to stay in control of the AFC West and host a playoff game on Wildcard Weekend. Yeah man!

MOtorboat
11-16-2009, 11:24 PM
Yeah...I thought about this for a minute, and you're absolutely right. First I thought, damn, there's a lot of football to play for it to be a must game, but...then I came to my senses. We go to 7-3 and they fall to 6-4...that's like a two game lead on the division, and we have the ultimate tiebreaker, and none of the crap we had to go through last year, no matter what happens. Plus, if you win the remaining three division games, at worst you're 10-6, and I don't think San Diego will finish 5-1 if we beat them, so it's kind of a double whammy. Confidence booster, plus tiebreaker for us, confidence breaker plus tie-loser for them.

Ravage!!!
11-16-2009, 11:26 PM
I personally think its the biggest game of the year for both teh Broncos and the Chargers. Chargers lose, they are swept. Broncos lose, they not only blow a three game lead, but lose at home (again) to the Chargers and it very well loses them control of the AFC west.. which could very quickly leave them out of any wildcard spots as well... since we have NE, Indy, and Baltimore/Cinci/Pitt all coming out of the same division.

Good game

getlynched47
11-16-2009, 11:56 PM
Right now, every game is a must win. The room for error is so small now with tough games vs. Indy, NYG and Philly coming up. Every game is like a must win. If they lose Sunday, it's almost all over.

Huh? First you make fun of me (post 2), acting like it's stupid that I'm calling this a must win, and now every game is a must win?? :confused:

A must win? Really?

Oh well, at least we all agree that this game is extremely, extremely important :salute:

EastCoastBronco
11-17-2009, 07:59 AM
Every game up until the point where you secure a playoff spot is a freaking must win.

claymore
11-17-2009, 08:08 AM
I will say a 4 game losing streak is a "must not". We need to lick our wounds and come out pissed off.

Zweems56
11-17-2009, 08:14 AM
This is a possibility of a trap game for the chargers. Even if they step into it though, there's only a small chance that they leave Denver without the division lead.

CoachChaz
11-17-2009, 08:43 AM
I can buy into this being a must win. The Washignton game was a back-breaker. Orton out or not...there was no excuse for losing that game or even letting Washington be that close. This defense won games in the second half and now they are losing them. I know the offense hasnt helped them, but IT WAS WASHINGTON without their best offensive players. Things like Campbell to Thomas for 27 yards on 3rd and 8 should never happen.

The positive side is that this is already much more than most expected and if they only win the 3 gimmes they have left, It'll still be better than my optimistic 8-8 prediction. I know this season isnt over yet, but I cant get help but get excited about how this team is going to look in a year or two.

Traveler
11-17-2009, 09:31 AM
Definite must win IMO too. After Sunday's loss, even the KC games can't be considered an automatic win.

We are now in the position we thought SD was a couple of weeks ago. McDaniels and Nolan have the look, lately, of not knowing what to do to fix what is ailing us both offensively & defensively.

On Sunday, WE MUST PROTECT OUR HOUSE!

broncofaninfla
11-17-2009, 09:41 AM
I agree, we HAVE to win this game. San Diego is playing better ball than us right now, we have sweep them or they will take the lead and I fear we'll never catch back up.

claymore
11-17-2009, 09:42 AM
Definite must win IMO too. After Sunday's loss, even the KC games can't be considered an automatic win.

We are now in the position we thought SD was a couple of weeks ago. McDaniels and Nolan have the look, lately, of not knowing what to do to fix what is ailing us both offensively & defensively.

I blame it on everyone going to the chargers board and listening to them whine. Its all Karma. :(

CoachChaz
11-17-2009, 09:43 AM

There's a reason for that. You can only pass off mediocre talent for so long. They can do whatever they want, but until they have the players that fit their system the best, the options are limited

claymore
11-17-2009, 09:47 AM
There's a reason for that. You can only pass off mediocre talent for so long. They can do whatever they want, but until they have the players that fit their system the best, the options are limited

Hell yeah.

broncofaninfla
11-17-2009, 09:54 AM

I'd counter by saying the coaches need to do a better job of adjusting thier schemes to fit the skill set we currently have on our roster.

claymore
11-17-2009, 09:56 AM
I'd counter by saying the coaches need to do a better job of adjusting thier schemes to fit the skill set we currently have on our roster.

Hell yeah.

CoachChaz
11-17-2009, 09:58 AM

Well, I think they did for at least 6 weeks. But this is the NFL...eventually other teams find your weaknesses and expose them. If you dont have alternatives...what can you do?

Simms cant be relied on, the line cant figure out their identity, Royal does disappearing acts, we cant stop the run. You can only hide so much

claymore
11-17-2009, 10:09 AM
Well, I think they did for at least 6 weeks. But this is the NFL...eventually other teams find your weaknesses and expose them. If you dont have alternatives...what can you do?

Simms cant be relied on, the line cant figure out their identity, Royal does disappearing acts, we cant stop the run. You can only hide so much

Zone Blocking and Blitzes!

CoachChaz
11-17-2009, 11:19 AM
Zone Blocking and Blitzes!

I dont think the ZBS will make a difference...we were running nicely this past week.

...and blitzes wont help the run defense

Dortoh
11-17-2009, 11:37 AM
The only reason I dont see this as a must win is they still have to deal with Norv Turner.

jhildebrand
11-17-2009, 02:18 PM
This became a must win the minute the Broncos lost to Washington.

Nomad
11-17-2009, 04:58 PM

Even before then, I always believe it's a toss up in divisional games not matter if one of the teams sucks or not. That's why I don't think divisional games can be considered 'trap' games!

The position the BRONCOS are in will show us how much heart this team has, if they win I think they'll go on a tear and have a good rest of the year! If they lose, confidence is shot and they won't even sniff the playoffs!!

T.K.O.
11-17-2009, 05:44 PM
hopefully the embarrassment of making the skins look like a contender will turn the broncos D back into what it was the first time the chargers & broncos met this year....and we can kick the .... outta them again !:salute:

sanluis
11-17-2009, 05:48 PM
Here's how things shake up.

Our next 4 games: San Diego, New York, @ Kansas City, @ Indianapolis

San Diego's next 4 games: @ Denver, Kansas City, @ Cleveland, @ Dallas

Call me pessimistic, but I don't see how the Broncos pull off a win against the Giants or Colts. I'm going to work off the assumption that we will beat Kansas City because they are horrible.

As for the Chargers, they will beat Kansas City and Cleveland with ease. The Cowboys aren't that great either, so they could conceivably beat them also.

If we don't beat San Diego, we could conceivably have 1 win in the next month (keep in mind we already haven't had a win in a month, including the bye-week). The Chargers could have 4 wins.

If Chargers beat us, they move into 1st place of the AFC west, followed up by easy games with the Chiefs and Browns, putting them @ 9-3 for the season. Now the rest of their schedule is no cake-walk, but the Chargers are just way too unpredictable and could probably pull off at least 1 or 2 more wins in the remainder of the schedule.

We won't be able to catch up with the Chargers if they beat us because the Giants will also still be playing for the playoffs and the Colts....well they're damn good.

We NEED this one Sunday. It's do or die for the Broncos. I am willing to say that if we do not beat the Chargers this Sunday, chances are that our season might be over OR we'll be fighting for the final wild-card (I predict Steelers get the first Wild-card).

Put up or shut up. Show us you are still the team that started 6-0 :salute::salute::salute: Good luck and Go BRONCOS :defense::beer:

You make some really good points!

The thing with Denver is that they are not the same team that went 6-0. You have two new starters on the O-line, injuries to LBers safeties and your starting QB.

I think it is too early to say this is a must win game. Very very important but not must win. The Chargers have to play Dallas in Texas and the Bengals! Those two games alone make things very difficult for the Chargers. Denver takes care of it's own business and they could come back from a loss to San Diego. This could come right down to the last game again!!

Ravage!!!
11-17-2009, 05:56 PM
I think its a must win. You don't get another chance to play SD in Denver. Splitting may not be enough. Going from 6-0 to 6-4 is a dramatic drop. Right now our defense is leveling out. Our offense is still struggling.

This game is just as big as we guessed it would be. Does it mean the season is 'over' if we lose.... of course not. But its the difference of playing for the AFCW or for the wildcard.

T.K.O.
11-17-2009, 06:17 PM
hey ravage....speaking of merroid....did you hear the one about.......?

Posted about 1 hour ago50 Comments 3 Recommendations E-mail
Tequila suing Chargers' Merriman, alleging domestic violence
Associated Press

SAN DIEGO -- Reality TV star Tila Tequila filed a lawsuit against San Diego Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman alleging domestic violence.

Attorney Cyrus Nownejad told The Associated Press that Tequila is seeking $1.5 million in damages.

Dan Steinberg / Associated Press
Tila Tequila is suing Shawne Merriman over a Sept. 6 incident.

Merriman was arrested by sheriff's deputies on Sept. 6 after Tequila signed a citizen's arrest warrant accusing him of battery and false imprisonment at his suburban home. District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis declined to charge Merriman.

Merriman told the AP in an e-mail that he hadn't seen a copy of the suit. His attorney didn't immediately return a call seeking comment Tuesday.

Tequila, whose real name is Tila Ngyuen, alleges assault, battery, false imprisonment and intentional infliction of emotional distress.

She said that when she tried to leave his house, Merriman grabbed her by her arms. When she tried to break free, Merriman shook her like a rag doll, the suit said.

Merriman threw her onto a couch, hurting her neck, jaw and back, then choked her until she almost passed out, the suit alleges.

Tequila said in the lawsuit that Merriman had a short temper, used drugs and humiliated her because of her bisexuality.

The lawsuit includes two exhibits of photos, including photos purporting to show bruises on Tequila's arms and neck.

Lonestar
11-18-2009, 01:01 PM
Not sure hiw I missed this thread and really only read a few posts.

Have to say that it is perhaps the biggest game of the year for SAN also. They win and they control the Afcw for the rest if the year.

They have more talent than we do and they know it and are pissed we beat them in their home. Just like they were pissed at the houckli loss last year.

They are going to be loaded for BEAR.

Unless everyone was looking Past WAS to this game with KO out we could easily lose this one.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel

NightTrainLayne
11-18-2009, 01:03 PM
This game is big, but it will only make for a one game lead either direction with 6 games left to go.

It simply won't be the deciding factor in the AFC West. There's still way too much football left to play and a one game lead either direction can evaporate in an instant.

Lonestar
11-18-2009, 01:39 PM
This game is big, but it will only make for a one game lead either direction with 6 games left to go.

It simply won't be the deciding factor in the AFC West. There's still way too much football left to play and a one game lead either direction can evaporate in an instant.

actually it equates to a two game lead if we win.. as we would have the tie breaker against SAN.. and if SAN wins but less than the score difference than we won with we still have a tie breaker with them..

NightTrainLayne
11-18-2009, 01:42 PM
actually it equates to a two game lead if we win.. as we would have the tie breaker against SAN.. and if SAN wins but less than the score difference than we won with we still have a tie breaker with them..

I disagree. The tie-breaker is important, but only comes into play if a tie exists. You could call it a 1.5 game lead over SD since we have the tie-breaker, but not a 2 game lead. But if we lose the game we will only be 1 game behind as far as the head-to-head tie-breaker goes because we already beat them.

slim
11-18-2009, 01:50 PM
The fact it is a home game against a division opponent makes it a must win.

The fact that SD has a much easier schedule down the stretch makes my tummy hurt.

Lonestar
11-18-2009, 01:58 PM
I disagree. The tie-breaker is important, but only comes into play if a tie exists. You could call it a 1.5 game lead over SD since we have the tie-breaker, but not a 2 game lead. But if we lose the game we will only be 1 game behind as far as the head-to-head tie-breaker goes because we already beat them.

well unless one of us ends up in a TIE game this year, a 1.5 game lead will not happen..

if we lose then and everything else is even then total points difference becomes a tie breaker and only then.. IIRC that is like the #8 or 9 tie breaker.. after division, conference wins etc.. not necessarily in that order..

the key is winning the game and After listening to Dawk it is going to be an epic battle IF we show up to play if not a slaughter, as SAN has really come on strong in almost every stat in the last 4 weeks while we have slacked off..