PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Nfl Draft Discussion Mock

BOSSHOGG30
01-15-2008, 04:13 PM
Face it, we have awhile till the actual draft comes. Today is the last day that the underclassmen can throw their name out there as ellible for the NFL draft. I think it would be fun as well as a good idea to have ourselves a discussion mock. Based on what the majority of us decide we can determine what each team will pick in the 1st round of the NFL draft.

To start things off we will discuss the 1st pick of the 2008 NFL Draft.

Miami Dolphins are on the Clock!

Who will Miami take and why?

1. Miami - DT Glenn Dorsey, LSU
2. St Louis - OT Jake Long, Michigan
3. Oakland - RB Darren McFadden, Arkansas
4. Kansas City - DT Sedrick Ellis, USC
5. Atlanta - QB Matt Ryan, BC
6. New York Jets - DE/DT Chris Long, Virginia
7. New England (from SF) - CB Mike Jenkins, USF
8. Baltimore - DE/OLB Vernon Gholston, Ohio St.
9. Cincinnati - OLB Keith Rivers, USC
10. New Orleans -
11. Buffalo -
12. Denver -
13. Carolina -
14. Chicago -
15. Detroit -
16. Arizona -
17. Minnesota -
18. Houston -
19. Philadelphia -
20. Tampa Bay -
21. Washington -
22. Dallas (from CLE) -
23. Seattle -
24. Pittsburgh -
25. Tennessee -
26. New York Giants -
27. San Diego -
28. Jacksonville -
29. Green Bay -
30. San Francisco (from IND) -
31. Dallas -
32. New England - forfeited

BOSSHOGG30
01-15-2008, 04:25 PM
My opinion on Miami's selection:

I know a lot of people will think or say Glenn Dorsey, but I don't think they go that route. With Bill Parcells in charge I think they will start their transformation to the 3-4 defense. With that in mind, I think they go DE Chris Long or OT Jake Long with the number one overall pick. I also believe they will try hard to trade back in the draft, but it will be hard to do that because of the value of that pick. For the purpose of this draft my vote will go to DE, Chris Long, Virginia.

G_Money
01-15-2008, 04:31 PM
Parcells is a defensive guy, I think he takes Dorsey. He knows he needs some impact on whichever side of the ball he picks, and with his impact defenders all aging off Dorsey would make for a nice revitalizer. Might help him get more out of his aging defenders too. They have maybe 10 guys who are worth having AT ALL, so they can't go wrong with an end (Chris Long) to pick up the pass rush or a tackle (the other Long) to keep the QB alive, but I think he's gonna work from the trenches with that pick, and Dorsey brings real impact with him.

I guess he could take Matt Ryan, but I think they're sticking with Beck for next year. Draft the franchise QB once you've got a defense who can stop anyone and a line that won't get him killed every time he drops back to pass.

He's not a McFadden-type GM, though - he can find RBs later. I say Miami takes Dorsey (pending the combine) and simply because it IS Parcells at the helm. I say Dorsey in the first and Otah (or a similar behemoth) in the second for Miami. It's a big construction project down there.

~G

G_Money
01-15-2008, 04:38 PM
I know a lot of people will think or say Glenn Dorsey, but I don't think they go that route. With Bill Parcells in charge I think they will start their transformation to the 3-4 defense.

It's possible - but this isn't a 3-4 friendly year as far as nose-tackle so the system might be a tough switch, and Dorsey could play end in a 3-4 if they felt like doing that in a future year. He'd slim up a bit, but he's got the upfield mobility to do so and can still anchor against the run. They call him 300+, but he could be 280 if you wanted him to be - he's got the frame to do either.

Dorsey can really do anything you want him to do on the line. If I was fixing a team from the ground up, I'd want the most flexible personnel packages possible, who can play the most downs with impact performances.

Chris Long wouldn't be a bad pick, though - I love that kid. We'll see how he and Dorsey match up at the combine. Raw numbers do matter sometimes, and I think Dorsey's will just be too tough to match.

~G

BOSSHOGG30
01-15-2008, 04:39 PM
Dorsey is the best player in the entire draft... jmo, so I won't be surprised if Miami goes that route.

CoachChaz
01-15-2008, 04:41 PM
Dorsey is the best player in the entire draft... jmo, so I won't be surprised if Miami goes that route.

Dorsey doesn't fit Tuna's 3-4 as much as Long does.

BOSSHOGG30
01-15-2008, 04:42 PM

That's what I'm thinking. That is why my vote will go on Chris Long, but I wouldn't be surprised if Miami took the best player in the draft and that is Glenn Dorsey.

Who do you think Miami will pick Coach?

CoachChaz
01-15-2008, 04:43 PM
That's what I'm thinking. That is why my vote will go on Chris Long, but I wouldn't be surprised if Miami took the best player in the draft and that is Glenn Dorsey.

Who do you think Miami will pick Coach?

I think Miami goes with Chris Long to fit the scheme.

BOSSHOGG30
01-15-2008, 04:45 PM
So far we have

Chris Long: 2 votes
Glenn Dorsey: 1 vote

BigDaddyBronco
01-15-2008, 04:49 PM
Miami takes Dorsey, take a look at their depth chart at DT. Keith Traylor, Vonnie Holliday, Roderique Wright, etc. Not much on end other than Jason Taylor. Man this team sucks!

If they go 3-4, Chris Long. Let's see who Parcells hires as HC.

MOtorboat
01-15-2008, 04:51 PM
Parcells is a defensive guy, I think he takes Dorsey. He knows he needs some impact on whichever side of the ball he picks, and with his impact defenders all aging off Dorsey would make for a nice revitalizer. Might help him get more out of his aging defenders too. They have maybe 10 guys who are worth having AT ALL, so they can't go wrong with an end (Chris Long) to pick up the pass rush or a tackle (the other Long) to keep the QB alive, but I think he's gonna work from the trenches with that pick, and Dorsey brings real impact with him.

I guess he could take Matt Ryan, but I think they're sticking with Beck for next year. Draft the franchise QB once you've got a defense who can stop anyone and a line that won't get him killed every time he drops back to pass.

He's not a McFadden-type GM, though - he can find RBs later. I say Miami takes Dorsey (pending the combine) and simply because it IS Parcells at the helm. I say Dorsey in the first and Otah (or a similar behemoth) in the second for Miami. It's a big construction project down there.

~G

I would normally agree that Parcells probably wouldn't take McFadden, but he just pulled Dallas' General Manager, and you know he'd probably love to stick it to Jones, and you know Jones has a man-crush on McFadden.

With that said, some of McFadden's recent troubles have possibly pushed him down a little. I'd have to agree with them taking Dorsey, though I suggested in my article on the Dolphins that they SHOULD take McFadden.

Retired_Member_001
01-15-2008, 05:06 PM
I think Glenn Dorsey wouldn't fit a 3-4 scheme at all. Dorsey would do much better in a 4-3 scheme were he could go after the passer.

I think Chris Long would be the best way to go for the Dolphins. However after last years draft, they may end up taking a Long Snapper. :laugh:

Requiem / The Dagda
01-15-2008, 05:18 PM
Matt Ryan for the Dolphins.

dogfish
01-15-2008, 05:36 PM
dorsey-- not the greatest fit for the 3-4, but it's hard to go wrong with the potential highest-impact defender in the draft when your D is ancient. . .

Broncospsycho77
01-15-2008, 05:42 PM
I heard somewhere (might be pre-Parcells) that they were rallying hard for Jake Long outta Michigan.

I'll take that vote.

Skinny
01-15-2008, 05:47 PM
I see Parcells trading out of that pick. Possibly Dallas as the biggest trader ...

CoachChaz
01-15-2008, 05:51 PM
Miami would be insane to trade the pick unless it was to another top 5 team. I just don't see any of them being desperate for anyone specific enough to move up and give up that much for it.

MOtorboat
01-15-2008, 07:30 PM
Miami would be insane to trade the pick unless it was to another top 5 team. I just don't see any of them being desperate for anyone specific enough to move up and give up that much for it.

Not to mention that the Dolphins are absolutely desperate for talent, of any kind. A top-flight pick like Dorsey, or McFadden would be the first stepping stone, here. Remember, Parcells is involved.

WARHORSE
01-16-2008, 01:48 AM

Id have to question that. Although I agree that Long is the perfect DE for the 3-4, Dorsey is pretty much vintage 3-4 NT. Although you can stick a thick run clogger in there and play, having a guy that can control the LOS as well as rush the passer from the middle is the perfect man. Thats Dorsey.

Wilfork for NE is an unsung cog in their defensive wheel. He is 6'2" and 325 pounds. He is a very good NT in the 3-4.

Dorsey is 6' 1" and change, 312 lbs, but strong as all get out, and a better pass rusher than Wilfork. Dorsey knows how to use his hands and keep guys off him. As well, Dorsey will add some weight in the NFL. He has the tools to be the best DT in the league hands down............we shall see though.

Quite a close call if you ask me between Long and Dorsey and how they project to the 3-4.

Id take either one of them in a heartbeat. You may be right though, in Parcells 3-4, he may prefer Long.

WARHORSE
01-16-2008, 01:50 AM
Not to mention that the Dolphins are absolutely desperate for talent, of any kind. A top-flight pick like Dorsey, or McFadden would be the first stepping stone, here. Remember, Parcells is involved.

Parcells will go ball control offense, 3-4 defense. McFadden will never go to Miami now that Parcells is there. They already have Brown.

BOSSHOGG30
01-16-2008, 09:42 AM
K, Dorsey gets the most votes We will move on to St.Louis

St.Louis is on the clock!

G_Money
01-16-2008, 10:48 AM
One of the Longs.

Bulger's getting killed back there w/o Pace around - does anyone know how he's recovering? I'd get an OT to get that offense back on track - they could stuff him on the right side if Pace is back next year, then move him to LT when Orlando goes.

On the DL, they're still using that drunk murderer Little aren't they? He's gettin' up there, and they could use a real pass rush. Stopping the pass rush and adding a pass rush are probably their two biggest needs. Interior linemen to give SJ more running lanes can be added later.

I'm going with the offensive Long over the defensive Long (they have a huge investment in Bulger that they need to protect), but Howie's kid wouldn't surprise me here, especially if he wows em and Michigan Boy doesn't in the next 2 months.

~G

Skinny
01-16-2008, 10:54 AM
Jake Long ...

It's time to revamp their O-line ... there QBs are gettin beat to hell ...

BOSSHOGG30
01-16-2008, 11:29 AM
I think Darren McFadden is a possibilty here. I know they have Steven Jackson, but he has been injury prone lately and he will be a free agent soon. I also like Jake Long here because of the same reason's G stated above. Chris Long might be an option here as well with Little's career coming to an end and he would make a nice addition with Adam Carriker.

I will vote Chris Long because he is the 2nd best player in the entire draft and I think the Rams will think about defense.

BigDaddyBronco
01-16-2008, 11:41 AM
Bulgur had to leave a game early this year because he was getting sacked too many time. Pace seems like he has shot his wad, so I would thing Jake Long would keep Bulger alive. If Pace is back then they have a nice pair of tackles.

Jake Long.

BOSSHOGG30
01-16-2008, 12:23 PM
So far.....

3 for Jake Long
1 for Chris Long

CoachChaz
01-16-2008, 01:42 PM
I'm going with Dorsey since I think Miami takes Chris Long and Jake Long isn't worth #2. They add Dorsey with Carriker to have a nasty DL for a long time and they get a very good OT in the 2nd.

BOSSHOGG30
01-16-2008, 01:44 PM
I'm going with Dorsey since I think Miami takes Chris Long and Jake Long isn't worth #2. They add Dorsey with Carriker to have a nasty DL for a long time and they get a very good OT in the 2nd.

You can't add Dorsey.. he is already drafted! Who is your second choice.

CoachChaz
01-16-2008, 01:46 PM
You can't add Dorsey.. he is already drafted! Who is your second choice.

I have to go with the majority? That sucks. Well, if Dorsey is gone, I think they go with Chris Long.

BigDaddyBronco
01-16-2008, 01:47 PM
I have to go with the majority? That sucks. Well, if Dorsey is gone, I think they go with Chris Long.

Damn Texan, always swimming upstream. :D

CoachChaz
01-16-2008, 01:51 PM
Damn Texan, always swimming upstream. :D

You know

BOSSHOGG30
01-16-2008, 02:00 PM
3 votes for Jake Long
2 votes for Chris Long

Broncospsycho77
01-16-2008, 02:25 PM
One more for Michigan Long. Their Oline blows. He'll help.

mclark
01-16-2008, 02:28 PM
St. Louis Rams
Team Needs: OT, DE, CB, S, WR

They need both Longs. I go with Jake Long -- but it's a toss-up.

WARHORSE
01-16-2008, 06:09 PM
Jake Long

BOSSHOGG30
01-17-2008, 08:47 AM
St.Louis selects Michigan.

Oakland is on the clock!

MOtorboat
01-17-2008, 08:49 AM
St.Louis selects Michigan.

Oakland is on the clock!

Has the coin flip taken place already. I thought they did it at the combine...

But, for the sake of this argument, Sedrick Ellis.

BOSSHOGG30
01-17-2008, 08:59 AM
Has the coin flip taken place already. I thought they did it at the combine...

But, for the sake of this argument, Sedrick Ellis.

No they didn't do the coin flip yet... so the 3 teams coming up could flip flop.

BOSSHOGG30
01-17-2008, 09:00 AM
I think Oakland takes Darren McFadden. It will give him the QB he wanted and a top RB for his offense.

My Vote: McFadden

CoachChaz
01-17-2008, 09:17 AM
McFadden to Oakland.

Skinny
01-17-2008, 09:23 AM
Darren McFadden ...

Oak has'nt has a consistent RB for a few years now. Jordan, Fargas and the fella they signed from Indy this Off Season (name escapes me) have yet to prove they can carry the load and play a whole 16 game season.

They'll be looking for the Home Run here ...

BOSSHOGG30
01-17-2008, 09:47 AM
3 votes for McFadden
1 vote for Sedrick Ellis

BOSSHOGG30
01-17-2008, 10:36 AM
I also think Oakland will trade out of this spot.... I think Dallas will try to trade with Oakland because Jerry Jones has the hots for Darren McFadden.

BigDaddyBronco
01-17-2008, 11:48 AM
Oaklands defense isn't too bad, but they don't have any playmakers on offense. No high profile WR's, so I think they'll pick McFadden. But with Uncle Al who knows, they'll draft McFadden and then wil not be able to come to terms with him until the season is 5 weeks old.

Lonestar
01-17-2008, 11:54 AM
with sapp retiring I say they go for DT

BOSSHOGG30
01-17-2008, 11:55 AM
with sapp retiring I say they go for DT

don't they have Sands, Warren, and Kelly?

G_Money
01-17-2008, 12:49 PM
Oakland's D was 22nd in total ypg, 31st in rush ypg, and 26th in points allowed.

With Sapp gone, I can definitely see them trying to shore up the D line and with Chris Long still here I can see that pick.

They did get guys off the field on 3rd down, though, which is more than I can say for us.

And Al Davis likes the flash. Make mine Run DMC.

Without significant line improvement, I see serious and catastrophic injuries to him within 2 years. Sorry kid - them's the breaks when Oakland drafts you...

~G

Lonestar
01-17-2008, 01:22 PM
don't they have Sands, Warren, and Kelly?

TO my knowledge none in the class that sapp was. As Gman said Al likes flash.. Another Sapp wannabe IMO..

BOSSHOGG30
01-17-2008, 01:25 PM
TO my knowledge none in the class that sapp was. As Gman said Al likes flash.. Another Sapp wannabe IMO..

That's why I think he will go with McFadden... how much flashier of a guy can you get? Plus he probably wants to surround his franchise QB with as many weapons as he can muster.

Lonestar
01-17-2008, 01:32 PM
That's why I think he will go with McFadden... how much flashier of a guy can you get? Plus he probably wants to surround his franchise QB with as many weapons as he can muster.

YES But unless they rebuild the OLINE it is a waste of money.. IMO

I also think his franchise QB will be a non starter so to speak..

but with Al hell noboy knows what he will do..

CoachChaz
01-17-2008, 01:41 PM
In my own draft, I have them taking Jake Long with Miami taking Chris Long and STL taking Dorsey...but since we are going with the majority here, there isn't an OL that rates this high.

BOSSHOGG30
01-17-2008, 01:43 PM
YES But unless they rebuild the OLINE it is a waste of money.. IMO

I also think his franchise QB will be a non starter so to speak..

but with Al hell noboy knows what he will do..

I for one thought their o-line really improved. They actually had a decent running game this year.

CoachChaz
01-17-2008, 01:44 PM
I for one thought their o-line really improved. They actually had a decent running game this year.

They could still use a good LT to protect Russell...IMO

BOSSHOGG30
01-17-2008, 01:45 PM
They could still use a good LT to protect Russell...IMO

Russell likes to scramble to his right anways.... I think he will be fine. If anything he will need a better right tackle.

Lonestar
01-17-2008, 01:46 PM

do you think it was the oline talent or ZBS.

CoachChaz
01-17-2008, 01:48 PM
Russell likes to scramble to his right anways.... I think he will be fine. If anything he will need a better right tackle.

I would agree on them waiting if I didn't think STL would be doing the same thing.

BOSSHOGG30
01-17-2008, 01:49 PM
do you think it was the oline talent or ZBS.

Not sure what contributed to their better results.... probably a little of both, but I can't say with honesty. I didn't really watch the Raiders this year, but the few games I saw I noticed Jordan and Fargas did pretty good and the O-line held their own for the run.... Not so sure about pass blocking though.

MOtorboat
01-17-2008, 01:51 PM
Interesting stat on the radio: 14 of the last 22 tackles that have protected the blind side of the Super Bowl Winning quarterback were first round selections. 20 of 22 were first day picks.

Lonestar
01-17-2008, 01:52 PM
Not sure what contributed to their better results.... probably a little of both, but I can't say with honesty. I didn't really watch the Raiders this year, but the few games I saw I noticed Jordan and Fargas did pretty good and the O-line held their own for the run.... Not so sure about pass blocking though.

I only saw them once this year and they ran well.. Mainly because we could not stop them.

So I did not think they were all that great..

BOSSHOGG30
01-17-2008, 01:53 PM
Interesting stat on the radio: 14 of the last 22 tackles that have protected the blind side of the Super Bowl Winning quarterback were first round selections. 20 of 22 were first day picks.

Lets hope the Raiders go with McFadden then!

MOtorboat
01-17-2008, 01:59 PM
Lets hope the Raiders go with McFadden then!

BTW, Matt Lepsis is one of the two who wasn't...right...Zimmerman retired after the first Super Bowl and Lepsis stepped in...

CoachChaz
01-17-2008, 02:17 PM
BTW, Matt Lepsis is one of the two who wasn't...right...Zimmerman retired after the first Super Bowl and Lepsis stepped in...

Lepsis didn't play any of the Super Bowls there

tubby
01-17-2008, 02:38 PM

T-Bone moved to LT.

lex
01-17-2008, 10:23 PM

What about the fact that Chris Long is Howies son? I wouldnt put it past Al getting all nostalgic and falling in love with this guy because he is a part of the Raider family...since his dad is a Raider in good standing. Also, they struggled on defense this year so a Dlinemen is not out of the question. They drafted that Bush kid out of Louisville who should be recovered from his injury. Then you also have the fact that Al vetoed the firing of the defensive coordinator and theres tension over personnel between Al and Lane...so I wouldnt rule out Al drafting defense as an in your face to Lane.

BOSSHOGG30
01-18-2008, 09:15 AM
What about the fact that Chris Long is Howies son? I wouldnt put it past Al getting all nostalgic and falling in love with this guy because he is a part of the Raider family...since his dad is a Raider in good standing. Also, they struggled on defense this year so a Dlinemen is not out of the question. They drafted that Bush kid out of Louisville who should be recovered from his injury. Then you also have the fact that Al vetoed the firing of the defensive coordinator and theres tension over personnel between Al and Lane...so I wouldnt rule out Al drafting defense as an in your face to Lane.

good points....I didn't even think about that Bush kid

BOSSHOGG30
01-18-2008, 09:16 AM
Kansas City is on the clock!

Skinny
01-18-2008, 09:20 AM
Clady ...

55 sacks ...

MOtorboat
01-18-2008, 09:21 AM
This is a tough one boss, especially with Jake Long off the board. The conventional wisdom is that they'd take Matt Ryan, but they won't take a quarterback, especially that high, until Carl Peterson is gone. Mark my words on that one.

I bet they take Sedrick Ellis, since we have Oakland passing on him. I don't think they'll trade out of it, either.

CoachChaz
01-18-2008, 10:28 AM
That's my call...Sedrick Ellis

BOSSHOGG30
01-18-2008, 10:32 AM
This is a tough one boss, especially with Jake Long off the board. The conventional wisdom is that they'd take Matt Ryan, but they won't take a quarterback, especially that high, until Carl Peterson is gone. Mark my words on that one.

I bet they take Sedrick Ellis, since we have Oakland passing on him. I don't think they'll trade out of it, either.

I think the Chiefs land Jake Long, but since he is off of the board in our dicussion mock... I say they will go with Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State. I can also see the Chiefs trading back if Long is off the board, which I highly doubt.

My vote: Vernon Gholston

BOSSHOGG30
01-21-2008, 09:00 AM
Chiefs select DT Sedrick Ellis, USC

Atlanta Falcons are now on the clock!

BOSSHOGG30
01-21-2008, 09:02 AM
I'm pretty sure we all know Atlanta will go after a QB, and unless someone jumps ahead of them to take one of the top 3 QB's in this years draft, they should have their choice of any of the 3.

I think it comes down to Matt Ryan or Brian Brohm. But Matt Ryan has more upside, so I will go with him.

My vote: Matt Ryan

Skinny
01-21-2008, 09:11 AM
Yeah, i think they go QB too. I'm going to go with Ryan also, his game just seems a little more polished than Brohm at this point IMO. Great mechanics, good decisions, strong arm and pretty accurate ...

MOtorboat
01-21-2008, 09:21 AM
I say Matt Ryan too...

Are Leftwich and Harrington signed for next year?

mclark
01-22-2008, 12:49 PM
Atlanta Falcons Needs:

QB, OL, SS, DT

I'm not a believer in Matt Ryan. I think his stock will decline and Sedrick Ellis's stock will climb.

Atlanta: Sedrick Ellis

I think there will be a qb in the second round for them.

CoachChaz
01-22-2008, 12:59 PM
Matt Ryan goes here.

mclark
01-22-2008, 01:07 PM
Matt Ryan goes here.

Who do you think will be more dominant at his position: Sedrick Ellis or Matt Ryan?

CoachChaz
01-22-2008, 01:14 PM
Who do you think will be more dominant at his position: Sedrick Ellis or Matt Ryan?

Right now? Ellis. But who's to say Ryan doesn't learn and figure it all out?

MOtorboat
01-22-2008, 01:49 PM
The Falcons desperately need to find a franchise quarterback...just to save face a little bit with the whole Vick deal.

mclark
01-22-2008, 01:57 PM
The Falcons desperately need to find a franchise quarterback...just to save face a little bit with the whole Vick deal.

I agree. I'm just not sure Ryan is the guy.

mclark
01-22-2008, 01:57 PM
Right now? Ellis. But who's to say Ryan doesn't learn and figure it all out?

I think he's a reach with a top-5 pick. But who knows? Maybe Ryan is better than I think.

CoachChaz
01-22-2008, 01:58 PM
I think he's a reach with a top-5 pick. But who knows? Maybe Ryan is better than I think.

He'll be okay. Maybe not in Atlanta right away, but he can be another Hasselbeck, if not better.

mclark
01-22-2008, 02:57 PM
He'll be okay. Maybe not in Atlanta right away, but he can be another Hasselbeck, if not better.

He threw 19 interceptions this year, against so-so talent.

CoachChaz
01-22-2008, 03:25 PM
He threw 19 interceptions this year, against so-so talent.

Yeah...in 650 attempts. One every 34 pass attempts.

mclark
01-22-2008, 03:42 PM
Yeah...in 650 attempts. One every 34 pass attempts.

The games I saw him play, he was not so impressive.

He had a miracle finish in one game (Virginia Tech if I remember right), but he didn't look very sharp in that game.

I wouldn't want the Broncos to draft him if we needed a qb.

BOSSHOGG30
01-31-2008, 02:59 PM
Atlanta selects QB Matt Ryan, Boston College

New York Jets are now on the clock!

SoCalBronco
01-31-2008, 03:22 PM
I don't think the Jets pass on the most complete (though maybe not most talented) DE in this years draft.

With the sixth pick, The Jets choose:

Chris Long DE 6’4 284 Virginia
By: Robert Davis
After a freshman season in which he had little impact, Long developed into a consistent performer for the Cavs. He finished his sophomore season with 46 tackles, ten for loss, and two sacks. Last year as a junior, he had 57 tackles, 12 for loss, and four sacks on the year. Long had a dominant senior season, earning unanimous All America honors after posting 75 tackles, 19 for loss, and 14 sacks on the season.

Long is a solid all around defensive end. He is physical, strong, and tough which makes him a force against the run. He can hold his ground at the point of attack, and he does not give up on plays. As a pass rusher, he makes plays because of his combination of strength and athleticism. He is quick off the snap, uses his hands well, and changes direction without hesitation. Long has the potential to play in a 3-4 or 4-3 defense.

Long does not possess the amazing athleticism or speed off the edge to make scouts drool. Other than that, it is tough to pick apart his game.

Chris Long comes from a football family, as his father Howie played for the Raiders for years. He has the talent and bloodlines to be a quality NFL performer. He may never blow you away with his physical traits, but he is a football player that gets the job done every time he puts the uniform on.
-----------
Alternate would be:
Vernon Gholston OLB Ohio State, but Chris Long strikes me as more of a sure thing.

BOSSHOGG30
01-31-2008, 03:56 PM
I agree that they go with Chris Long if he is still on the board...which in this draft he is.... so my vote:

Chris Long

CoachChaz
01-31-2008, 04:07 PM
I don't see long being there in reality, but for this draft, I select Long...in reality, I select Gholston

BOSSHOGG30
02-01-2008, 09:12 AM
New York Jets select, DE/DT Chris Long, Virginia

New England Patriots are on the clock!

MOtorboat
02-01-2008, 09:23 AM
Gholston?

CoachChaz
02-01-2008, 10:30 AM
Gay and Samuel are FA's. Pats select Mike Jenkins.

BOSSHOGG30
02-01-2008, 12:24 PM
Pats are so hard to predict... but I agree with Coach... Mike Jenkins seems like a solid pick up for them.

Vote: Mike Jenkins

BigDaddyBronco
02-01-2008, 12:37 PM
Jenkins. Either Gay or Samuel will leave.

BOSSHOGG30
02-02-2008, 07:26 AM
New England selects CB Mike Jenkins, USF

Baltimore is now on the clock!

BOSSHOGG30
02-02-2008, 07:28 AM
I think they Ravens could go linebacker or O-line her. But they really need a QB. There are rumors they are interested in trading for David Anderson, which makes since because the Browns have to do something with either Anderson or Quinn. This pick could change the draft a lot. But as of right now I have to say the Ravens go QB.

My vote: QB Brian Brohm

FJC_77
02-02-2008, 03:45 PM
I think they Ravens could go linebacker or O-line her. But they really need a QB. There are rumors they are interested in trading for David Anderson, which makes since because the Browns have to do something with either Anderson or Quinn. This pick could change the draft a lot. But as of right now I have to say the Ravens go QB.

My vote: QB Brian Brohm
I agree.... Brohm goes here

And it's Derek Anderson btw, not David.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-02-2008, 04:00 PM
I'm not buying the ravens taking a QB here. Derek Anderson rumors aside, Troy Smith looked intriguing enough to get a legit look considering 1) the QB class is overrated and 2) they may be able to get 1 of the big 3 in round 2.

Oline is now a pressing need. WR is also a possibility, but too high.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-02-2008, 04:01 PM
If Gholston is there for Bmore, I think they don't hesitate to grab him.

SoCalBronco
02-03-2008, 02:45 AM
Gholston. All the way.

BOSSHOGG30
02-04-2008, 11:34 AM
We need another vote to keep this moving...

2 votes for Gholston
2 votes for Brohm

CoachChaz
02-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Baltimore selects Clady

BOSSHOGG30
02-04-2008, 11:41 AM
Thanks Coach! We are getting now where

2 votes for Gholston
2 votes for Brohm
1 vote for Clady

MOtorboat
02-04-2008, 11:51 AM
Baltimore selects DeSean Jackson

SmilinAssasSin27
02-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Jackson's not even the best WR in the draft. It'd be Kelly or Sweed.

Broncospsycho77
02-04-2008, 03:14 PM
Gholston. They like Troy Smith.

BOSSHOGG30
02-04-2008, 03:18 PM
Baltimore selects DE/OLB Vernon Gholston, Ohio St.

The Cincinnati Bengals are now on the clock!

BOSSHOGG30
02-04-2008, 03:19 PM
I think the Bengals draft RB Jonathon Stewart.

Rudi Johnson isn't the same type of back. The Bengals want to keep talent around Palmer, and they need a running game back.

MOtorboat
02-04-2008, 03:25 PM

Rudi Johnson isn't the same type of back. The Bengals want to keep talent around Palmer, and they need a running game back.

They desperately need d-line help, but the four top guys are already gone in our mock.

I'd say Stewart, too...

SmilinAssasSin27
02-04-2008, 03:29 PM
WOW...Cincy has so many needs on defense.

Options include:

Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida
Keith Rivers, LB, USC
Dan Connor, LB, Penn State
Kenny Phillips, S, Miami
Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson
Kentwan Balmer, DT, North Carolina...may be a reach, but DL is awful.

They HAVE to go D, right? I think they go LB...Dan Connor. He's bigger and a hard nosed kid from nearby PA.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-04-2008, 03:32 PM

I can't see em taking a RB considering how bad the defense was last year. They need to draft someone to show the fans they are at least trying a little bit. As dumb as it sounds, the fans are calling for coach's head. The difference between Connor or Rivers and their current LBs is much bigger than the gap between Rudi and Stewart. They have to go LB or DE.

BOSSHOGG30
02-04-2008, 03:33 PM
WOW...Cincy has so many needs on defense.

Options include:

Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida
Keith Rivers, LB, USC
Dan Connor, LB, Penn State
Kenny Phillips, S, Miami
Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson
Kentwan Balmer, DT, North Carolina...may be a reach, but DL is awful.

They HAVE to go D, right? I think they go LB...Dan Connor. He's bigger and a hard nosed kid from nearby PA.

The Bengals are switching to the 3-4 defense next season... so keep that in mind. One of the reason's they are letting Justin Smith go.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-04-2008, 03:38 PM
The Bengals are switching to the 3-4 defense next season... so keep that in mind. One of the reason's they are letting Justin Smith go.

Another reason a LB appears to be a must. have you seen their LB corps? a steaming pile...

BOSSHOGG30
02-04-2008, 03:39 PM
Another reason a LB appears to be a must. have you seen their LB corps? a steaming pile...

Yeah, I agree, but I think they will use their top pick on Stewart and the rest of the draft will go towards defense. They know how to protect their investment in Palmer.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-04-2008, 03:44 PM
It will also depend on if they actually trade 85 or not. he'll garner some picks if he does go.

CoachChaz
02-04-2008, 03:45 PM
Cincinnati selects Kieth Rivers

SmilinAssasSin27
02-04-2008, 03:50 PM
If there is a tie...I will switch my vote to Rivers. I'm thinking LB, but could go either way on which one.

CoachChaz
02-04-2008, 03:51 PM
If they switch to the 3-4, Rivers will give them a speed rusher off the edge.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-04-2008, 03:53 PM
but he's so small...225 for a 3-4 LB...i dunno

BOSSHOGG30
02-04-2008, 03:54 PM
It will also depend on if they actually trade 85 or not. he'll garner some picks if he does go.

They won't trade him.. it will cost them way too much. I think their salary cap will go up 2 or 3 million more dollors if they do.

Broncospsycho77
02-04-2008, 03:58 PM
Rivers.

BOSSHOGG30
02-04-2008, 04:00 PM
3 for Rivers
2 for Stewart

BOSSHOGG30
02-04-2008, 04:01 PM
If Wheeler has a good combine... he might pass Rivers

CoachChaz
02-04-2008, 04:05 PM
Rivers is actually 235. Maybe that keeps him in the WILL until he bulks up a bit more, but I think he'll be solid.

SmilinAssasSin27
Again...I'm personally voting more for LB than an individual.

MOtorboat
If Wheeler has a good combine... he might pass Rivers

I thought you said this was the pre-combine mock
:confused:

j/k Boss

MOtorboat
02-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Again...I'm personally voting more for LB than an individual.

I would too, but taking a gander at draft boards, and the way our mock draft has gone...it looks like it might be a reach to go after one.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-04-2008, 04:07 PM
I thought you said this was the pre-combine mock
:confused:

j/k Boss

excellent contribution sparky.

MOtorboat
02-04-2008, 04:28 PM
excellent contribution sparky.

You got it :2thumbs:

BOSSHOGG30
02-05-2008, 11:35 AM
Cincinnati selects- OLB Keith Rivers, USC

New Orleans is now on the clock!

MOtorboat
02-05-2008, 12:00 PM
What do we think their needs are...linebacker, d-tackle...maybe a wide receiver...Meachem might be a bust.

Maybe a Derrick Harvey. This is a tough one, imo...

BOSSHOGG30
02-05-2008, 12:34 PM
They might look for a big back to take over for McCallister and help ease the load on Bush.

They need secondary help very bad.

They are stacked at DE, but may look at a DT.

CoachChaz
02-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Leodis McKelvin...the pass defense sucks and defensive players from Troy have a pretty good track record.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-05-2008, 09:35 PM
CB is a MUST in my eyes. Either Talib or the CB from troy.