PDA

View Full Version : Who'd a thunK it? ZBS still is effective.

Dean
11-16-2009, 08:11 AM
I don't know why we all but abandoned a historically great rushing offense. We had the players and coaches in place to make it go. :confused:

Well, It was back against the 'Skins AND WORKING WELL. :2thumbs:

claymore
11-16-2009, 08:14 AM
Dont question McDaniels Offense!!!!!!!!!

Ravage!!!
11-16-2009, 11:44 AM
I don't know why we all but abandoned a historically great rushing offense. We had the players and coaches in place to make it go. :confused:

I think it was you that mentioned it in another thread.

Hamilton was ideal for the ZBS, we pull him and then run more of the ZBS while he's out??? :confused:

First time we've seen a running game all year, and the FIRST time I thought Moreno looked like a first round draft choice. Not a coincidence.

MOtorboat
11-16-2009, 11:48 AM
First time we've seen a running game all year, and the FIRST time I thought Moreno looked like a first round draft choice. Not a coincidence.

This is what we call selective memory.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-16-2009, 11:52 AM
Yesterday, during the game, one of the announcers said that Moreno was LEADING ALL ROOKIES in rushing - hard to imagine how that has went unnoticed by some. OH, and he has been Rookie of the Week TWICE

Ravage!!!
11-16-2009, 11:57 AM
This is what we call selective memory.

actually No.

I've seen FOURTH round RBs look just as good as he (moreno) has all season long. You call it selective memory. I say you guys are simply seeing the orange and blue, and ignoring the truth. I see it as being able to see that our 'first round' draft choice hasn't been impressive (as of yet)..and I was thrilled that we drafted him.

Stats don't tell the story. Getting the opportunities doesn't make you the best. Until yesterday, he didn't even look like the best RB on the roster. Thats just the truth.

I'm not calling him a bust, by any means. But he hasn't shown me where he is worth more than a 4th round RB yet.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-16-2009, 12:03 PM
Not sure who is ignoring the truth - i.e. - Before yesterday's game, Moreno was LEADING all Rookies in rushing, and he has been named Rookie of the Week TWICE :confused:

MOtorboat
11-16-2009, 12:06 PM
Thats just the truth.

No, that's your opinion.

Ravage!!!
11-16-2009, 12:06 PM
No, that's your opinion.

Fair enough. Thats my opinion.

topscribe
11-16-2009, 12:08 PM

At the same time, they ran the ball all of four times in the third quarter. Four times!

That's what I don't get. Both RBs were averaging more than 5 YPC, and the backup
QB has come in. We knew Simms would struggle a little, not having had the reps
he needed to run the offense in a game (although we never thought it would be
that bad). So they come out slinging the ball. What should they have expected?

They say they're committed to the run. Couldn't prove it by me . . . :coffee:

-----

silkamilkamonico
11-16-2009, 12:41 PM
Yet another ignorant ZBS thread, and a failure to understand that Denver hardly ran it last year as well.

topscribe
11-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Yet another ignorant ZBS thread, and a failure to understand that Denver hardly ran it last year as well.

What's so ignorant about it? The Broncos did more of it and averaged 5+ YPC.

I think it's a good thread. I don't know why anyone would MHS a post that calls a
positive thread "ignorant."

------

silkamilkamonico
11-16-2009, 01:03 PM

I think it's a good thread. I don't know why anyone would MHS a post that calls a

------

We've been hearing the criticism McDaniels has been taking from people who are upset he's moving away from the ZBS.

Apparently those people didn't watch any Denver games last year.

NightTrainLayne
11-16-2009, 01:03 PM

------

How I understood that was Silka making the point that we hardly ran the ZBS last season, so knocking the current coaching staff for not running it is illogicial. Not to mention that the current coaching staff has still run it here and there in certain situations.

And there's always the point that McD had the foresight to keep Dennison and Turner on as assistants in order to try and run a hybrid of sorts.

Maybe, just maybe, the coaching staff is utilizing it when their gameplan for an opponent calls for it, and not using it so much against opponents when they feel it won't be as effective. Call me crazy.

topscribe
11-16-2009, 01:04 PM
We've been hearing the criticism McDaniels has been taking from people who are upset he's moving away from the ZBS.

Apparently those people didn't watch any Denver games last year.

Go back to Post #1 and see if the OP said anything about last year . . .

-----

MOtorboat
11-16-2009, 01:05 PM
Call me crazy.

You're crazy.

shank
11-16-2009, 01:08 PM
i'm fine with the hybrid, but the zone plays had been very few and far between until this game. just keep it in the mix. call me sexy.

NightTrainLayne
11-16-2009, 01:08 PM

-----

If "we had the players and coaches in place to run it", is not a reference to last year then the original poster was misunderstood by more than one person.

silkamilkamonico
11-16-2009, 01:12 PM

-----

"I don't know why we all but abandoned a historically great rushing offense. "

If you think it's such a good and positive thread, perhaps we can leave it at that, and just call it a year too late.

topscribe
11-16-2009, 01:14 PM
How I understood that was Silka making the point that we hardly ran the ZBS last season, so knocking the current coaching staff for not running it is illogicial. Not to mention that the current coaching staff has still run it here and there in certain situations.

And there's always the point that McD had the foresight to keep Dennison and Turner on as assistants in order to try and run a hybrid of sorts.

Maybe, just maybe, the coaching staff is utilizing it when their gameplan for an opponent calls for it, and not using it so much against opponents when they feel it won't be as effective. Call me crazy.

Wow, a lot of interpretation of the OP is going on right now.

Why don't we just read it at face value? If we think there is another meaning in
there, then why don't we ask the OP what it might be? The OP said they're
using it, and that this is good. He said they had all but abandoned it. Well, last
year they had, right? And they were doing more gap blocking than zone
blocking this year, too.

It was said that anyone who thinks a lot of zone blocking was done last year
didn't watch the games. Well, anyone who thinks they have done a whole lot
of it this year hasn't watched these games. Fair enough?

-----

topscribe
11-16-2009, 01:16 PM
"I don't know why we all but abandoned a historically great rushing offense. "

If you think it's such a good and positive thread, perhaps we can leave it at that, and just call it a year too late.

Kind of like all the criticism of Orton, even during the game yesterday? That kind of
too late?

Just admit that you may have misinterpreted the OP, Silk. That goes farther than
trying to cover your tracks now . . .

-----

silkamilkamonico
11-16-2009, 01:21 PM
Kind of like all the criticism of Orton, even during the game yesterday? That kind of
too late?

You're kidding. For you, there's no difference between 1 day, and 365? Wow. Take a look at the organization.

Just admit that you may have misinterpreted the OP, Silk. That goes farther than
trying to cover your tracks now . . .

-----

Just admit that you may have overlooked Denver moving away from the ZBS scheme last year. Not this year.

topscribe
11-16-2009, 01:23 PM
You're kidding. For you, there's no difference between 1 day, and 365? Wow. Take a look at the organization.

Just admit that you may have overlooked Denver moving away from the ZBS scheme last year. Not this year.

Okay, Silk. Whatever. You've always had a hard head, but I love ya, anyway . . . :nod:

-----

silkamilkamonico
11-16-2009, 01:26 PM
Okay, Silk. Whatever. You've always had a hard head, but I love ya, anyway . . . :nod:

-----

Thanks man. You know very well that the feeling is mutual! :beer:

NightTrainLayne
11-16-2009, 01:37 PM
Wow, a lot of interpretation of the OP is going on right now.

Why don't we just read it at face value? If we think there is another meaning in
there, then why don't we ask the OP what it might be? The OP said they're
using it, and that this is good. He said they had all but abandoned it. Well, last
year they had, right? And they were doing more gap blocking than zone
blocking this year, too.

It was said that anyone who thinks a lot of zone blocking was done last year
didn't watch the games. Well, anyone who thinks they have done a whole lot
of it this year hasn't watched these games. Fair enough?

-----

Sorry but the "Who'd a thunK it?" in the thread title is a pretty clear-cut clue that the OP is attempting to criticize the current coaching staff for not utilizing ZBS. And I've already stated that I think this is an incorrect assumption.

But I'd be more than happy to be corrected by the OP if that was not his intention.

weazel
11-16-2009, 02:44 PM
Moreno looks fine, give the kid a break. Was he supposed to come in and run for 2000 yards because we drafted him in the 1st? Considering how bad our line has looked at times i'm surprised he's doing as well as he is.

topscribe
11-16-2009, 02:50 PM
Sorry but the "Who'd a thunK it?" in the thread title is a pretty clear-cut clue that the OP is attempting to criticize the current coaching staff for not utilizing ZBS. And I've already stated that I think this is an incorrect assumption.

But I'd be more than happy to be corrected by the OP if that was not his intention.

I have been critical of the present staff for not using it more, too . . . :noidea:

-----

Lonestar
11-16-2009, 03:02 PM
Yesterday, during the game, one of the announcers said that Moreno was LEADING ALL ROOKIES in rushing - hard to imagine how that has went unnoticed by some. OH, and he has been Rookie of the Week TWICE

actually No.

I've seen FOURTH round RBs look just as good as he (moreno) has all season long. You call it selective memory. I say you guys are simply seeing the orange and blue, and ignoring the truth. I see it as being able to see that our 'first round' draft choice hasn't been impressive (as of yet)..and I was thrilled that we drafted him.

Stats don't tell the story. Getting the opportunities doesn't make you the best. Until yesterday, he didn't even look like the best RB on the roster. Thats just the truth.

I'm not calling him a bust, by any means. But he hasn't shown me where he is worth more than a 4th round RB yet.

please see above and now below..

Not sure who is ignoring the truth - i.e. - Before yesterday's game, Moreno was LEADING all Rookies in rushing, and he has been named Rookie of the Week TWICE :confused:

Dean
11-16-2009, 07:57 PM

Hate to quote myself but it appears that I need to expand on the post.

I don't know why we abandoned the rushing attack that lead the league over the last decade. Last year we were in the spread offense much more of the time and ran the ZBS less (we just decreased the % of running plays across the board). However, it still was our main run blocking scheme and it was still successful. Our linemen were drafted on their ability to block in space. They are not hulks nor are our RBs (that see gametime carries) large.

We actually were zone blocking more in the first two games until it disappeared. the three previous games. We were not succeessful running the ball in those games. I think maybe we whould have at least called a few plays to see if it could revive a dead rushing attack against both the Steelers and the Ravens. It was obvious to me we were not able to block them man for man.

The Skin's game has been the first game in some time that we ran a significant % of zone blocking in our rushing attack. It was significantly more successful.

If anyone's feelings are hurt because you feel that I am attacking McDaniels because I don't like him. I'm not. If Shanahan or anyone else had abandoned a successful scheme when all the pieces were in place and another scheme was obviously not working well, I would still have posted this thread. In America, I am entitled to be opposed to the status quo. :coffee:

The last 4 games we ran almost no zone blocking. The result was 76 carries for 281 yards. This is an average of 3.6 yards per carry. Our team rushing average is 4.2 yards per carry. The Washington game which had a high percentage of zone blocking resulted in 20 carries for 108 yards. This is 5.4 yards per carry.

Ravage!!!
11-16-2009, 08:04 PM
please see above and now below..

Please read my post again, as those 'above and below' doesn't change my opinion. :coffee:

nevcraw
11-16-2009, 08:07 PM
I think it was you that mentioned it in another thread.

Hamilton was ideal for the ZBS, we pull him and then run more of the ZBS while he's out??? :confused:

I think Hamiltons issues were with pass protection..

hamrob
11-16-2009, 09:09 PM
Yesterday, during the game, one of the announcers said that Moreno was LEADING ALL ROOKIES in rushing - hard to imagine how that has went unnoticed by some. OH, and he has been Rookie of the Week TWICEUm...I believe Moreno had his first run over 20yds against the Skins. Let's see 8 games previously and not one tote for more than 20? Yeah, I think there was enough there...and still is...for there to be concerns about Moreno.

JDL
11-16-2009, 09:32 PM

What does that mean if no other rookie RBs are getting the amount of carries he is? Seriously, people should consider their arguments some and what stats really mean. It has always been a pet peeve of mine. Moreno is 22nd in the league amongst ROOKIES in yards/carry... does that mean he sucks? No... just the same way that he has the most carries by a LARGE margin and consequently leads the league does not mean he has been great or shown he has been worth the pick ... yet. I loved Moreno in college, but I always knew he didn't project to a Hall of Fame type special back, he doesn't have the long speed or explosiveness. He can be a very good back and at worst will be a lot like a Kevin Faulk safety valve in Denver's offense. But, CLEARLY Beanie Wells has been the best back so far... they have taken it slowly with him because he still has a lot to learn (blocking, pass catching, fumbles), but he is a special player - you can see it everytime he touches the ball and he is really started to come on now as he learns the ropes. I am a big fan of Moreno, but we need more big runs like he provided last week. My hopes for him is that he can be a bit like Marcus Allen later in his career (he doesn't have Allen's speed at all) but his ability to make people miss in a small area is impressive.

Anyway, never understood getting away from the ZBS because New England has never been that great at running the ball consistently.... never anywhere close to what we could do.