PDA

View Full Version : Full Edition, Broncos Packers Super Bowl On Nfl Network

underrated29
01-14-2008, 07:59 PM
Just thought i would make a quick thread for those of you who didnt notice and would like to record..Sorry I didnt search to see if there was another one, but hey its starts in like 2 min. So there ya go.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-14-2008, 08:01 PM
Very clutch of u. Thanx

broncosfanscott
01-14-2008, 09:20 PM
I just turned the channel and saw it and was going to let people know.

Ahhhh, the memories. Man was our o-line just awesome and I just love watching Atwater sack Favre. :salute:

BigDaddyBronco
01-15-2008, 09:58 AM
Picked up the 4th quarter of that game last night. Man that Oline was dominant, and the blocking from the WR's and Griffin was stellar as well. The holes TD had were HUGE, but he always fell forward. On the last drive Dotson grabbed his facemask behind the LOS and pulled his head more than 90 degrees and TD still picked up 2 yrds (then got the 15 yard penalty).

Man we need to get a line like that again. When a HOFer like Reggie White is sucking wind on the final drive and is on the sideline and that big POS Gilbert Brown is getting pushed around like a red headed stepchild you know the line was dominant.

Good times.

BOSSHOGG30
01-15-2008, 10:00 AM
Man I miss TD! He was something else.

Speaking of Green Bay... does Ryan Grant remind anyone of how TD was to Elway?

SmilinAssasSin27
01-15-2008, 10:01 AM
I DVRd that biotch.

Agreed, I lved Brian habib. Knew he was gonna leave for his home region, but dude was a stud.

BigDaddyBronco
01-15-2008, 10:13 AM
Here was the line-up for blocking purposes.

LT-Zimmerman
LG-Schlereth
C-Nalen
RG-Habib
RT-Tony Jones (totally underrated great player)

Blocking TE - Carswell or have Griffith in as FB

Two HOFers in my mind in Zimmerman and Nalen on that line. No wonder they could impose their will on other teams.

G_Money
01-15-2008, 10:46 AM
Look at the freakin' roster overall.

There were pro-bowlers and potentail HOFers everywhere. That was some team.

But every time I watch Davis run, I just wish I could stop hearing, "Hey, that guy runs like TD."

Mike Anderson did not run like TD.
Olandis Gary did not run like TD.
Selvin Young does not run like TD.
James Davis, despite my like for him, would not run like TD.

TD was an absolute monster. The scary thing was he was just getting started. Without Lepsis blowing his knee out on that ill-fated interception, he was just revving up, like a 600 hp muscle car on the city streets. He was just pulling onto the highway.

I'm glad we got to see him, but I wish I could have seen him have the kind of time Curtis Martin got.

~G

NightTrainLayne
01-15-2008, 10:49 AM
Watched this last night again. No matter how many times I see it, I am still riveted by that game. It has to be one of the top 5 Super Bowl games ever!

Amazing that we could win that game without our WR's being able to get open. Our Oline and TD saved the day. Rod Smith was held without a single catch as the #1 Wide Receiver! Since that SB game, Rod Smith has only been held without a catch in a game he started ONE TIME. Even including last season when he was battling his hip injury all season long.

What a great game for the TEAM to step up and work together to overcome a really great Green Bay team. I've said it before, and still believe that had GB won that SB, they would now be considered one of the all-time great teams. We beat them, and then repeat the next year, and we hardly get any credit for it. . .

Watchthemiddle
01-15-2008, 10:51 AM
I am glad I didn't see that.

ITs too much to watch right now. I usually watch it and my complete 97,98 collection videos in about July to get pumped up for the season.

BigDaddyBronco
01-15-2008, 10:52 AM
TD should be a HOFer in MHO. Not even being a Broncos homer, how can you not look at the guy and say he was the best back in football for 3-4 years. Add his SB rings, SB MVP, leauge MVP, etc. and he was dominant over the short period of time he was in the leauge.

Gale Sayers is in and he was more dynamic and had better big plays, but he didn't win the big one did he.

hopefully the HOF will stop the bias against Denver (must be to many Raider fans voting or something) and get some of these guys in.

G_Money
01-15-2008, 10:59 AM
The early Broncos teams suffered from a lack of profile.

Nobody on the coasts saw Gradishar play but maybe once a year when he played their team. All the writers are on the coasts, so if they didn't see you, you didn't exist.

The benefit the 90's Broncos teams have is that they were popular, well-televised, and higher profile.

People saw TD, they saw Sharpe, they saw Atwater and Smith.

So those guys have more of a chance to get in the Hall than some of the older Broncos do.

Zimm and Sharpe will go into the Hall. Sharpe first, IMO, but we'll see.

Atwater should get in eventually, but DBs suffer in HOF voting.

Rod Smith has equivalent stats to Michael Irvin, so give it a few years. I think he'll make it after a few votes.

TD...I really don't think he's gonna make it, despite deserving it.

But here's hoping I'm wrong. There needs to be more orange in the Hall regardless, so every guy we can get in just helps to make up for past and current wrongs.

~G

SmilinAssasSin27
01-15-2008, 11:17 AM
I really think he's a lock at some point. As Big Daddy said, his credentials are excellent...and the 2,000 yard season wasn't even mentioned. It may take a lil time, but he HAS to get in if Sayers did.

G_Money
01-15-2008, 11:59 AM
As I have said on the TD front before:

There's 25 modern RBs in the HOF (1950 onward). How does the fewest games played go?

Doak Walker: 67 (played 50-55, not really as a HB, elected 86)
Gale Sayers: 68 (played 65-71)
Charley Trippi: 99 (played 47-55, elected 68)
Paul Hornung: 104 (played 57-62, 64-65, elected 86)
Marion Motley: 106 (played 46-55, elected 68)
Earl Campbell: 115 (played 78-85, elected 91)
Jim Brown: 118 (played 57-65)

Terrell Davis played in 81 games.

Of all the running backs in the last 50+ years, the only guys with fewer games who got elected were a guy who played QB, HB, WR, KR, et al and the inestimable Gale Sayers. Nobody on this list played in the last 20 years, and Campbell's the only one who played in the last 35.

It's possible that he makes it in - I just don't expect it any time soon, judging by the lack of respect Broncos get generally and the extreme amounts of time it took guys like Hornung and Walker to get in.

Careers are also longer these days - it's not the 50s like with Doak, or the 60s with Gale. If you put TD in, then who else gets in because "Well, if he's in, then OBVIOUSLY I belong." If Clinton Portis plays another 2 years do you put him in? Call his career "cut short due to injury" when he gets his ribcage imploded in Washington?

Jamal Lewis? He had almost 8,000 yards in just 6 seasons of rushing, and a 2,000 yard season of his own.

Have I mentioned that HOF voting is based largely on "you vote for my guy and I'll vote for yours" with huge biases for clumpings of regional voters? The voting is totally agenda-based now, and putting TD in the Hall creates the sort of exception to the modern rule that they're looking to get away from. They don't WANT to have to hear arguments from guys complaining, "Hey, TD only had 4 good seasons - okay, 2 good ones and 2 all-time ones - and I have more good seasons than that. My knee was killing me my last few sucky seasons, I swear, it's just like that TD thing..."

It's a seriously uphill battle for TD.

I'm impressed he's made it to the finals already. I figured it'd take at least 5 years for him to get that far.

The Broncos are owed Louis Wright, Gradishar, TD, Zimm, Atwater, and soon Sharpe. Guys who should be doing probably have had a better shot are Meck (Carl Banks and he are practically indistinguishable) and possibly Fletcher.

But Broncos just don't get HOF votes. Their more recent guys have a better shot because a) they were seen nationally and b) they won stuff. But I still don't expect any Broncos this year. Shannon is gonna be the next Bronco in, IMO.

You just can't win an argument that Shannon doesn't belong. The other Broncos have been having excuses made against them for years.

~G

Psychotron
01-15-2008, 02:31 PM
What memories. NFL network has been replaying the game over and over the last two days. It's on right now. I have it on my DISH DVR now...need to find a way to get it out and share it.

jrelway
01-15-2008, 04:02 PM
ahhh the memories.

BOSSHOGG30
01-15-2008, 04:05 PM
I can probably make a DVD for anyone interested it would only cost the cost of shipping.

broncosfanscott
01-15-2008, 08:56 PM
Man I miss TD! He was something else.

Speaking of Green Bay... does Ryan Grant remind anyone of how TD was to Elway?

One of the guys was talking to TD about that on the NFL Network. Grant and TD were about the same age as well as Favre and Elway.

I love watching that game again. Our defense was the smallest in the NFL and the best too. We were blitzing a lot and nobody on GB picked it up

BOSSHOGG30
01-16-2008, 12:29 PM
Given many comments from coaches and players and media folks, it seems like this years Denver Broncos never meshed as a team. Just a bunch of individuals playing ball on Sundays.

I found this comment from Shannon Sharpe as he recounted his memories of Super Bowl XXXII

Quote:
We were very close. We had fun and Mike let us have fun. I think the biggest thing is that Mike knew we knew when to have fun, and when to get serious and go play football. We're very close today. Alfred, Keith Burns, Steve Atwater, Ray Crockett – we still stay in contact. We were a very close ballclub. We did things together; we went to the movies; we hung out. Training camp was different then than it is now because obviously we had to go up to Greely, Colo. It was a situation where there were no wives, no girlfriends, no kids around -- it was basically you. That was the bonding time. That was where you got an opportunity to know what the guy that you were going to be playing with was about. It was a very, very good situation for us, it worked out really well, and it bonded us. I think for the most part, teams that win the Super Bowl are on average probably a lot closer than teams that didn't win it. There was no bickering. We knew how the pie was going to be sliced. It was basically TD and John, and then everybody else was going to get whatever was left after that.

broncosfanscott
01-17-2008, 06:07 PM
Given many comments from coaches and players and media folks, it seems like this years Denver Broncos never meshed as a team. Just a bunch of individuals playing ball on Sundays.

I found this comment from Shannon Sharpe as he recounted his memories of Super Bowl XXXII

Quote:
We were very close. We had fun and Mike let us have fun. I think the biggest thing is that Mike knew we knew when to have fun, and when to get serious and go play football. We're very close today. Alfred, Keith Burns, Steve Atwater, Ray Crockett – we still stay in contact. We were a very close ballclub. We did things together; we went to the movies; we hung out. Training camp was different then than it is now because obviously we had to go up to Greely, Colo. It was a situation where there were no wives, no girlfriends, no kids around -- it was basically you. That was the bonding time. That was where you got an opportunity to know what the guy that you were going to be playing with was about. It was a very, very good situation for us, it worked out really well, and it bonded us. I think for the most part, teams that win the Super Bowl are on average probably a lot closer than teams that didn't win it. There was no bickering. We knew how the pie was going to be sliced. It was basically TD and John, and then everybody else was going to get whatever was left after that.

Good chemistry helps a lot.