PDA

View Full Version : Darren Sharper: Walker Wants Out

WARHORSE
01-14-2008, 04:04 AM
I dont know that he spoke to Javon like, yesterday.......but take it for what it is.

Sharper's line on Walker: He wants out
By Bill Williamson
The Denver Post (bwilliamson@denverpost.com?subject=The Denver Post: Sharper's line on Walker: He wants out)
Article Last Updated: 01/13/2008 11:38:48 PM MST

INDIANAPOLIS — Darren Sharper talks to Javon Walker almost daily.
He said he knows exactly what the Broncos wide receiver is feeling.
"He wants to get out of there," Sharper said Sunday during the Colts-Chargers AFC divisional playoff game, where the Minnesota Vikings safety was doing television work. "I know all about it, and he wants out. He's not happy. He wants the ball. He doesn't feel like he's part of the offense."
On Dec. 31, Walker said he didn't fit in anymore. Last week, on the Lewis and Floorwax radio show, Walker backtracked some. But Sharper said Walker's true feelings are to leave.
Still, Sharper said it's his advice for Walker to stay in Denver.
"He has a young quarterback who is good in (Jay) Cutler and has another great receiver in Brandon Marshall," Sharper said. Walker has $5.4 million in option bonus money coming his way, and it appears the only way he will remain in Denver is by taking a major pay cut.
-------------------------------------

So he wants the ball more........give him the ball more. He does well when its in his hands.

SR
01-14-2008, 04:12 AM
He doesn't feel like part of the offense? Could it have something to do with him being hurt most of the season? Funny how things work.

broncofanatic1987
01-14-2008, 05:05 AM
He doesn't feel like part of the offense? Could it have something to do with him being hurt most of the season? Funny how things work.

I suppose his feelings could derive from how he was used once he came back from his injury. Maybe his argument is similar to Simeon Rice's argument. Maybe Walker thinks he was fine, physically, but the coaches didn't.

I hope he takes Sharper's advice and stays. But, I don't think he should have to take a pay cut to do that. If he comes back healthy, he's the best receiver on the team and should have a big year.

SR
01-14-2008, 05:13 AM
If he comes back healthy, he's the best receiver on the team and should have a big year.

That isn't the case and that's why Walker wants out. Marshall is better than Walker. However, if Walker does want to come back and play like we know he's capable of, we'll have a damn dangerous WR core.

broncofanatic1987
01-14-2008, 05:47 AM
That isn't the case and that's why Walker wants out. Marshall is better than Walker. However, if Walker does want to come back and play like we know he's capable of, we'll have a damn dangerous WR core.

Walker is the deep threat, where as Marshall has admitted that he still has to work on that part of the game. Walker can also go over the middle, catch the short passes and make a big play, run a reverse and go 72 yards for a touchdown. Everything Marshall can do, Walker can do(not necessarily better) and on top of that, Walker can get deep quickly.

But, yes, you are right. If walker comes back and plays to his capabilities, we will have a very dangerous receiving corps.:beer:

SR
01-14-2008, 05:55 AM
You're right about Walker being a deep threat, but Marshall will learn how to run better deep routes.

Skinny
01-14-2008, 06:19 AM
This is getting old ...

SR
01-14-2008, 06:24 AM
No more old than all of the fantasizing people do with free agent pick ups, trades, etc.

TXBRONC
01-14-2008, 08:08 AM
I still think this is b.s. Maybe Sharper us just ticked because the Broncos ruined the Vikings chance at making the playoffs.

claymore
01-14-2008, 08:12 AM
He grew up as a poor kid in florida right????? How the hell did he get so selfish?

SR
01-14-2008, 08:17 AM
He grew up as a poor kid in florida right????? How the hell did he get so selfish?

That's how all those people get.

claymore
01-14-2008, 08:33 AM
That's how all those people get.
I would be fine if they made allot less. Get rid of there salaries and make the tickets cheaper.

Scarface
01-14-2008, 08:54 AM
I suppose his feelings could derive from how he was used once he came back from his injury. Maybe his argument is similar to Simeon Rice's argument. Maybe Walker thinks he was fine, physically, but the coaches didn't.

I hope he takes Sharper's advice and stays. But, I don't think he should have to take a pay cut to do that. If he comes back healthy, he's the best receiver on the team and should have a big year.

Not anymore he's not.

Skinny
No more old than all of the fantasizing people do with free agent pick ups, trades, etc.
I'm fantasizing about Javon being in Minnesota as we speak ... :laugh:

Krugan
Wait,what????

The guy has been out all season, comes back, doesnt get the ball, and pouts about it?

Jay had been looking at 2 other guys for 3/4's of the season. From the few plays I did see Jwalker he wasnt getting seperation, wasnt open, and just didnt look like he was ready to go.

Of course he didnt get the ball.

This just furthers my opinion that Critical Thinking 101 needs to be a course for all players entering any proffesional sport.

Medford Bronco
01-14-2008, 08:58 AM
He can go screw

I hope they get rid of him and Henry.
we do not need these selfish players here.

Gb is doing quite well without Mr. Selfish, arent they?

Rick
01-14-2008, 09:45 AM
Javon is certainly the best deep threat and certainly can make any catch with his great hands but that being said BMarsh is MUCH better over the middle due to he is so damn physical and can pull away from multiple defenders. BMarsh is a better reciever that Walker.

I would still like Walker to stay though.

BOSSHOGG30
01-14-2008, 10:26 AM
If you don't respect the uniform you wear and represent every Sunday all I have to say is good riddance.

SR
01-14-2008, 10:26 AM
good riddance*

Bronco9798
01-14-2008, 10:36 AM
Get rid of the selfish *****, I would.

mopatt24
01-14-2008, 10:56 AM
I'm really trying to not look into this, but I'm sick of hearing about his a$$. Trade his a$$, and get something for him. Be done with him

G_Money
01-14-2008, 11:08 AM
Walker is used to being the deep threat, where as Marshall has admitted that he still has to work on that part of the game. Walker could also go over the middle, used to catch the short passes and make a big play, has in the past run a reverse and go 72 yards for a touchdown. Everything Marshall can do, Walker could do at one point (not necessarily better) and on top of that, Walker can get deep quickly when his knee is 100%, which it might never be again.

But, yes, you are right. If walker comes back and plays to his capabilities, we will potentially have a very dangerous receiving corps.:beer:

Fixed all that for you. :salute:

Walker's game was what you say - when he has been healthy. Two of the past 3 years he's had major knee injuries, and we saw when he returned to the field this season after the injury (when he looked and acted like a 40 year old The Vance stunt-double) that he can't do those things when he isn't 100%. 80% of Rod Smith was still able to function and contribute. Whatever percent Javon was, he was not able to contribute.

What did he catch, 14 balls after the first 2 weeks of the season? Ouch.

Shanahan in his year-end press conference said it was still his understanding that Javon was gonna need the microfracture surgery on his knee at some point, but whether that point was now or 3-4 years from now he wasn't sure.

Microfracture has a decently long recovery time. If he'd had it done when it was recommended, He'd probably be back for the start of next year. Because he chose to just have the knee cleaned of debris instead of having the more serious microfracture, we could have an issue: if he actually DOES need it right now, then he's out another year.

And he'll be ineffective in the meantime.

Javon swears he will be healthy with an offseason to rest.

He also swears he was not used correctly in a year when inbred hamsters with Parkinson's could cover him without too many problems.

And since he's all about the money, and the Broncos might have cut him or had more grounds for re-negotiation if he was a malcontent with microfracture...

I guess I just don't consider this particular horse's mouth to be a reliable source of information.

Fingers crossed.

~G

weazel
01-14-2008, 11:14 AM
I like Walker and hopes things work out and he stays, but I have to shake my head at the fact he seems to cry about his teams after he gets injured and can't play at a great level. He did the same thing in Green Bay, looks like a pattern to me.

mopatt24
01-14-2008, 12:11 PM
He needs to man-up and quit crying like a little *****. You want the ball more? stay healthy and get open.

BOSSHOGG30
01-14-2008, 12:51 PM
Bring in Jerry Porter

MHCBill
01-14-2008, 12:58 PM
Bring in Michael Clayton or Bryant Johnson...

Skinny
01-14-2008, 12:59 PM
Bring in Earl Bennett! :woot:

Broncolingus
01-14-2008, 01:04 PM
Maybe Ash-lee Lah-lee is giving Walker advice for his career here in Denver...

You'd have thought "Mr. 3rd String Chump" would've learned by now?

BOSSHOGG30
01-14-2008, 01:49 PM
I bet the Vikings have Javon Walker for the 2008 season.

MHCBill
01-14-2008, 03:33 PM
For a third rounder they can have him...

SmilinAssasSin27
01-14-2008, 05:30 PM
I'd love a Minny 3rd rounder. I'd even toss in Gold if they add a 6th.

But let's be fair here...javon didn't reopen the discussion. Sharper did. Let's back off a bit and see how things play out.

broncofanatic1987
01-14-2008, 08:10 PM
You guys are lucky you're not Cardinals fans. If you were and the team traded Walker, he'd be an all-pro with his new team.

Be careful about what you wish for. It can come back to bite you...sometimes.

I'm going to continue to hope he gets healthy and stays with the Broncos. If he can't get healthy by the season opener, then maybe the Broncos should consider releasing him.

hamrob
01-14-2008, 08:56 PM
I think it has alot to do with Walker's perceived disrespect by the Broncos.

Think about it...guys like Walker like to have their egos stroked. Here's a guy that was our biggest play-maker a year ago. He gets hurt and fights to come back. He probably rushes it...because he wants to compete. Then he gets on the field and he doesn't get his number called. It has to bother him some...as it turns out it really bothers him alot.

Now...what if TO goes out for a while. When he get's back in the lineup does he get his number called or is he forgotten about?

To me...that's what this is all about. Walker feels disrespected. He goes from our biggest play maker to forgotten player...almost overnight. Where's the love?

Crush05
01-16-2008, 03:12 PM
I say Walker stays!!!! Also if he can stay healthy he will be the #1 guy as he was before! I honestly feel he and Marshall can co-exist and be another duo with 100+ catches each this up and coming year!

roomemp
01-16-2008, 03:24 PM
I think it has alot to do with Walker's perceived disrespect by the Broncos.

Think about it...guys like Walker like to have their egos stroked. Here's a guy that was our biggest play-maker a year ago. He gets hurt and fights to come back. He probably rushes it...because he wants to compete. Then he gets on the field and he doesn't get his number called. It has to bother him some...as it turns out it really bothers him alot.

Now...what if TO goes out for a while. When he get's back in the lineup does he get his number called or is he forgotten about?

To me...that's what this is all about. Walker feels disrespected. He goes from our biggest play maker to forgotten player...almost overnight. Where's the love?

If this is the case, which it is very possible, Walker should have never addressed this through the media. He has forever tarnished his relationship with the Broncos....Even if he comes back.

G_Money
01-16-2008, 04:11 PM
I don't see how it's the Broncos disrespecting him when Javon's the one who can't get open against paraplegics in wheelchairs.

I'm pretty sure Walker lined up the last few weeks. Most every offensive play, actually.

You couldn't prove it from the stat lines, but he was there.

He had zero touchdowns on the season - none.

He had 7 catches for 57 yards in the last 5 games he played - games he swore he was healthy enough in to contribute and in fact complained when he was made inactive for a game. And if you think only getting 7 catches is what's chapping his hide, maybe you've forgotten his little mouth-off session last year when he felt like Plummer wasn't getting him the ball enough to take advantage of his skills.

Javon wanted Plummer benched for Cutler so he could get the ball more in '06, and now that Cutler's the guy and Javon's the one not holding up his end of the deal, he says being traded to a team better able to use his talents would be fine with him.

If Javon just shuts up and brings his lunchpail to work next season - and his knee does get better like Walker is hoping it will with some rest - then I'm glad to have him. He's a very talented wideout who could take our offensive production up a few levels.

But it looks like the odds are against that. With the amount of money that's at stake and the uncertainty surrounding his future health, I would not be at all surprised to see the Broncos let him rest up over the next two months before letting him undergo some physicals before the draft/whenever his stupid roster bonus is due.

If he fails them, then we're either stuck with him or we cut him.

If he passes them (for us or another team) then we can decide to pay him and trust that 2006 Javon will be back in 2008, or we can trade him to a team more willing to take on the same risk we did when we traded with GB for him.

Either way, it's a dicey offseason for both him and us.

~G

WARHORSE
01-16-2008, 05:55 PM
True. True.

I wouldnt mind gettin Lelie to take his place at league minimum, then tradin him to Washington for their first rounder.

Throw in Gold.

roomemp
01-16-2008, 07:11 PM
True. True.

I wouldnt mind gettin Lelie to take his place at league minimum, then tradin him to Washington for their first rounder.

Throw in Gold.

I love how every trade proposal ends with "and through in Gold" :beer:

broncosfanscott
01-17-2008, 05:34 PM
Sharper may know Walker more than we do, however I still think he stays. I mean since he was injured most it is easy to see how he would feel that way. When he was healthy in '06 he was a big part of our offense. I know he will never really be 100%, so if he can be healty and play next year then he would be very productive with Marshall on the other side and Stokley in the slot.

There is a lot of time between now and the draft so I think we just need to give this some time and I think everything will work out.

jrelway
01-17-2008, 06:30 PM
we need to package up javon along with some other players to get more picks. I know javons good and all when healthy, but if he has no love for this team, and doesnt want to be here, his talent aint gonna be worth sh*t. may develope into a cancer and bite us in the ass. Package up Travis henry, javon walker, dominique foxworth, and ian gold for some nice early draft picks.

Lonestar
01-17-2008, 07:36 PM
we need to package up javon along with some other players to get more picks. I know javons good and all when healthy, but if he has no love for this team, and doesnt want to be here, his talent aint gonna be worth sh*t. may develope into a cancer and bite us in the ass. Package up Travis henry, javon walker, dominique foxworth, and ian gold for some nice early draft picks.

:salute:

but
:listen:
Two questionable heath issues one over the hill lb and a never was CB..
sounds like we get three ham sandwich's and two big macs, for the lot of them..

I'll take what ever we can get.. Lets keep them in another division please..

SmilinAssasSin27
01-17-2008, 09:17 PM
WOW...has NOTHING happened over the past 3 days?

jrelway
01-17-2008, 10:23 PM
nope.

Stargazer
01-18-2008, 12:54 AM
True. True.

I wouldnt mind gettin Lelie to take his place at league minimum

Lelie is under contract unless SF cuts him.

mclark
01-18-2008, 12:15 PM
Does Javon have much trade-value? Missed much of this season with a knee-injury to a knee severely hurt two seasons before. Declined doctors' recommendations to have micro-fracture surgery.

I don't think Javon has a lot of trade value now. A healthy GWarren got us a sixth round pick. Teams aren't trading for veterans these days.

silkamilkamonico
01-18-2008, 12:56 PM
Does Javon have much trade-value? Missed much of this season with a knee-injury to a knee severely hurt two seasons before. Declined doctors' recommendations to have micro-fracture surgery.

I don't think Javon has a lot of trade value now. A healthy GWarren got us a sixth round pick. Teams aren't trading for veterans these days.

No he doesn't. At least not the trade value Denver fans think they will get for him.

WARHORSE
01-18-2008, 01:18 PM
No he doesn't. At least not the trade value Denver fans think they will get for him.

Yes, he does. Walker is a thousand yard 12 touchdown back when healthy. He was coming off an acl tear when he came to us for a second, but any trade, even a for a 7th rounder would be dependent on him passing a physical. If he cant pass physical for anyone, or there is a degenerative issue going on, he obviously wont trade, and will probably agree to a pay cut if he knows thats going on.

If there is not a big issue with his knee, then he will have value.

Gerard Warren was a high draft pick.........but he didnt play like one.

Way different guy.

xzn
01-18-2008, 03:48 PM
[QUOTE=mclark;104449]In reference to MCLARK's signature.QUOTE]

Hey man, I don't know much about Marcus Monk. Can he return kicks? Is he a speed guy?

xzn
01-18-2008, 04:01 PM
I don't think we can get fair trade value for Javon. That's the main reason I'd rather keep him. Let's face it, with him and Brandon we have two very good WRs plus Stokley in the slot. Add Scheffler and Selvin Young and we can go to 4 and 5 wiseout sets at times to force the opposition to bring in their weaker DBs and get teams with good front 7 personnel to have to play against their strength. Look at the Cahrgers. How would they matchup with us in a single back set that included Selvin in the backfield, Scheff at TE lined up in the slot plus Slot Machine, Marshall and Walker? They'd have to pull a LB for sure to bring in a nickle back and if Merriman covered Scheff that leaves us with a mismatch with Selvin against one of their other LBs. If they went into Dime to matchup then we could run it with Selvin, esp. since Brandon is an exceptional blocker and Javon is pretty good as well.

Bottom Line: Cut needs weapons and without Javon we don't have as many. I don't see how trading or cutting him is going to net us a player of equal ability. Of course this all assumes that he is close to fully healthy by the start of training camp. If its the case that his knees are shot than he's worthless as trade bait and we should cut him to save money.

I'm hoping that he can recover, get on the same page with Mr. Cutler and join the party. Jay ought to invite him to come down to Atlanta and work out with those guys down there. Anyone know if he was invited and declined or what?

BOSSHOGG30
01-18-2008, 04:03 PM
I don't think we can get fair trade value for Javon. That's the main reason I'd rather keep him. Let's face it, with him and Brandon we have two very good WRs plus Stokley in the slot. Add Scheffler and Selvin Young and we can go to 4 and 5 wiseout sets at times to force the opposition to bring in their weaker DBs and get teams with good front 7 personnel to have to play against their strength. Look at the Cahrgers. How would they matchup with us in a single back set that included Selvin in the backfield, Scheff at TE lined up in the slot plus Slot Machine, Marshall and Walker? They'd have to pull a LB for sure to bring in a nickle back and if Merriman covered Scheff that leaves us with a mismatch with Selvin against one of their other LBs. If they went into Dime to matchup then we could run it with Selvin, esp. since Brandon is an exceptional blocker and Javon is pretty good as well.

Bottom Line: Cut needs weapons and without Javon we don't have as many. I don't see how trading or cutting him is going to net us a player of equal ability. Of course this all assumes that he is close to fully healthy by the start of training camp. If its the case that his knees are shot than he's worthless as trade bait and we should cut him to save money.

I'm hoping that he can recover, get on the same page with Mr. Cutler and join the party. Jay ought to invite him to come down to Atlanta and work out with those guys down there. Anyone know if he was invited and declined or what?

Javon's not really a weapon if he doesn't want to be here or if he isn't healthy enough to play now is he?

xzn
01-18-2008, 04:07 PM
Like I said, if he's not healthy then its a different story.

If he is healthy he is a weapon. It's up to the coaches and Cut Man to get him the d*mn ball, along with all the other weapons. I just think that the whole thing is overblown and that if he is healthy he'll be a better weapon than any (not first round)draft pick or scrub FA. Now, if we could trade him for a good enough pick to get DeSean Jackson I'd do it but he just isn't worth that much.

BOSSHOGG30
01-18-2008, 04:09 PM
Like I said, if he's not healthy then its a different story.

If he is healthy he is a weapon. It's up to the coaches and Cut Man to get him the d*mn ball, along with all the other weapons. I just think that the whole thing is overblown and that if he is healthy he'll be a better weapon than any (not first round)draft pick or scrub FA. Now, if we could trade him for a good enough pick to get DeSean Jackson I'd do it but he just isn't worth that much.

DeSean Jackson? please say it isn't so... plus I doubt you get a 1st or 2nd rounder for him.... you might want to think about another receiver.

xzn
01-18-2008, 04:17 PM
Exactly my point, we wouldn't get a first or second rounder for him. That's what I've been saying...

As for DeSean Jackson he is the type of WR we need. A pure speed guy to stretch the vertical routes, with quickness and hands to work underneath and, most importantly, someone who can be a weapon on punt and kick returns!

We won't get him, but that's the type of WR I hope we could get a lesser version of in like the fourth round or if we trade up into the third.

MOtorboat
01-18-2008, 05:01 PM
Exactly my point, we wouldn't get a first or second rounder for him. That's what I've been saying...

As for DeSean Jackson he is the type of WR we need. A pure speed guy to stretch the vertical routes, with quickness and hands to work underneath and, most importantly, someone who can be a weapon on punt and kick returns!

We won't get him, but that's the type of WR I hope we could get a lesser version of in like the fourth round or if we trade up into the third.

Shhh...please don't bring up Cal players...please...TIA.

EMB6903
01-18-2008, 05:17 PM
[QUOTE=mclark;104449]In reference to MCLARK's signature.QUOTE]

Hey man, I don't know much about Marcus Monk. Can he return kicks? Is he a speed guy?

Monk more of a possession reciever then a guy who can stretch the field with the deep ball, and no he cannot return kicks in the nfl, also commenting on MCLARK's mock draft I doubt Matt Forte falls to the 5th round.

xzn
01-18-2008, 06:13 PM
Shhh...please don't bring up Cal players...please...TIA.

Thx 4 reminding me, I had forgotten that Boss was irrational as it relates to west coast and specifically Cal players...:listen:

xzn
01-18-2008, 06:15 PM
[QUOTE=xzn;104729]

Monk more of a possession reciever then a guy who can stretch the field with the deep ball, and no he cannot return kicks in the nfl, also commenting on MCLARK's mock draft I doubt Matt Forte falls to the 5th round.

I don't think we need any more "possesion" receivers. We need a burner who will be a ST weapon, imo.

And, "No", Glenn Martinez doesn't count...:rolleyes:

EMB6903
01-18-2008, 06:17 PM
I never said we did need Monk, I was just explaining what type of reciever he was.

xzn
01-18-2008, 06:19 PM
I never said we did need Monk, I was just explaining what type of reciever he was.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that. And thanks for the info.

Do you agree with needing a speed/slot & PR/KR guy?

nevcraw
01-18-2008, 07:23 PM
Speed is overrated if the hands don't match. whoever ends up being the number 2 needs to catch the deep root and in traffic.
I'm keeping any eye on Matt Jones. Still a project but could benifit form Cutler's arm and ability to throw it deep.
Not sure if he is persona non grata still after stepping up late in the season but if the Jags want to unload him, denver should give him a look.

Comment: Jones is entering his third season out of Arkansas that was a first round draft pick by the Jaguars in the 2005 draft. He is still learning how to play the WR position as he was a quarterback in college and made the transition to WR after arriving in the NFL. He has a ton of potential with rare size to go along with rare straight line speed. He builds to speed more than being immediate and still has some trouble getting off the line versus the press. He can eat up a lot of ground and often surprises the DBs as he just runs by them. He is pretty raw in his route running skills and needs a lot of work on setting up defensive backs and getting them to bite on fakes and little shifts of his body weight. He shows his speed much better once he has the ball in his hands as opposed to when running vertical routes. He has improved in his toughness as far as going over the middle and catching the ball in traffic. He shows just adequate burst out of his cuts and is not great at separating from man coverage. He is learning how to use his size in the red zone and can reach up to pluck the ball over the top of shorter defensive backs. If it ever really clicks with this guy he could end up being something special. It's just a matter of time.

wandlc
01-18-2008, 08:07 PM
Draft Earl Bennett from Vanderbilt. He should be able to work with Cutler.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-19-2008, 11:40 AM
Sounds great in round 6.