PDA

View Full Version : Mike Heimerdinger

Skinny
01-13-2008, 09:05 PM
Staying put has put Schwartz in the mix for a head coaching job

Funny how things work out, isn’t it?

Almost three years ago to the day the Tennessee Titans’ two coordinators (Mike Heimerdinger and Jim Schwartz) interviewed with the San Francisco 49ers in that team’s search for a new head coach. Both came away thinking they never were serious candidates (Mike Nolan was hired) but each appreciated the opportunity to be mentioned among the group of future head coaches around the league.

A week later, Heimerdinger took his pursuit of a top job one step further when left the Titans to become offensive coordinator of the New York Jets. His thinking was that the exposure he would receive in New York would enhance his opportunities to get one of those 32 positions eventually.

Right now there are three teams in search of a coach, and it is Schwartz who is among the group of assistants seemingly being interviewed for all three.

The Titans’ defensive coordinator talked to the Washington Redskins on Thursday, the Atlanta Falcons on Friday and scheduled a meeting with the Miami Dolphins for Monday.

Heimerdinger’s much-anticipated stint in New York lasted one season before head coach Herm Edwards quit and went to Kansas City.

Heimerdinger promptly returned to one of his former franchises, the Denver Broncos. There he was given the title Assistant Head Coach/Quarterbacks, which suggested the Broncos did not expect to have him for long.

Yet there he sits. The top of the Rocky Mountains might as well be Siberia because it’s clear that Heimerdinger has been left out in the cold by those looking for someone to take charge of a team.

There is no guarantee that Schwartz will get one of the jobs currently available. Likewise, it’s not certain that he’s a better candidate than Heimerdinger.

What is clear is that Heimerdinger’s decision to walk away from the Titans took him out of the running for those jobs — at least for now.http://dnj.midsouthnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080113/SPORTS/80113004

Watchthemiddle
01-13-2008, 09:10 PM
Hmmmmm....interesting ...good find

TXBRONC
01-13-2008, 09:16 PM
This is a very interesting article thanks again Skinny. :salute:

yardog
01-13-2008, 10:05 PM
What is clear is that Heimerdinger’s decision to walk away from the Titans took him out of the running for those jobs — at least for now.

This is not good for us at all.

Watchthemiddle
01-13-2008, 10:07 PM
What is clear is that Heimerdinger’s decision to walk away from the Titans took him out of the running for those jobs — at least for now.

This is not good for us at all.

Until this offense improves and makes a name for itself, he won't be in the running for any jobs. And if it does start clicking, I wonder if Shanny will let him go after what has happened since kubs has left.

yardog
01-13-2008, 10:12 PM
Until this offense improves and makes a name for itself, he won't be in the running for any jobs. And if it does start clicking, I wonder if Shanny will let him go after what has happened since kubs has left.

I was thinking last year was proof enough for Shanny he needs to go along with Bates and Slowik but I was wrong I guess.

Watchthemiddle
01-13-2008, 10:14 PM
I was thinking last year was proof enough for Shanny he needs to go along with Bates and Slowik but I was wrong I guess.

I guess I just don't understand who is actually calling the shots on offense. People want to say its all Shanahan, but if you ask me the play calling hasn't been the same since Kubs left. That tells me that maybe both were calling the plays. Now, if Heim is doing it with Shanny...the creativeness has gone away dramatically. Maybe it just takes time with a green QB.

i am ready to see this offense take off.

Mike Martz is available. :D

yardog
01-13-2008, 10:18 PM
I think Heim is putting together the game plans and these plans are not close to being as affective as the plans Kubes was using.

Watchthemiddle
01-13-2008, 10:21 PM
I think Heim is putting together the game plans and these plans are not close to being as affective as the plans Kubes was using.

I agree. Its not as creative and seems to predictable. I want to go back to the days of scoring two TD's based off of the first 15 scripted plays. I can remember being up 14 - 0 and still in the 15 plays.

yardog
01-13-2008, 10:26 PM
Those were the days. I think we have the QB/WR to bring those days back but we need some help on the line in the backfield and in the coaching box before we see it again.

G_Money
01-14-2008, 10:50 AM
Fire.

Him.

If there have been less-inventive offenses than the Titans, Jets and current Broncos, I dunno what they are.

~G

NightTrainLayne
01-14-2008, 10:55 AM
Fire.

Him.

If there have been less-inventive offenses than the Titans, Jets and current Broncos, I dunno what they are.

~G

2007 KC Chiefs. . .not that anyone's counting. :D

BOSSHOGG30
01-14-2008, 10:57 AM
Denver's roads are looking a little rocky down the stretch. I don't like where this organization is heading right now and I don't see them turning things around within the next year or two.

MileHighWrath
01-14-2008, 11:03 AM
Denver's roads are looking a little rocky down the stretch. I don't like where this organization is heading right now and I don't see them turning things around within the next year or two.

Nothing a healthy talented set of O & D lines won't fix.

G_Money
01-14-2008, 11:10 AM

Yes - with Dinger's ex-head-coach. Not exactly stepping far off the branch there. ;)

~G

BOSSHOGG30
01-14-2008, 11:11 AM
Nothing a healthy talented set of O & D lines won't fix.

I don't know if healthy is good enough. I don't like the D-line at all.

Thomas and Crowder look good but still need to get better.... after that I have questions about every single player.

O-line: I like our gaurds, after that we need help at tackle and don't even know what to expect from center.

Wideouts we have some of the most injury prone players at that position. Marshall, Stokely, and Walker.

We don't even have a good starting runningback.

Special teams blows.

Coaching staff is suspect.

Bly and Champ aren't getting any younger so I'm afraid by the time we get the defense turned around they will be in decline mode.

We don't have a good starting safety.

We don't have a true blocking full back.

Free Agents and coaches no longer see Denver as the place to be which means we will have to over pay them just to get them in Denver.

D.J. Williams is our only good linebacker.

But hey, we do have good tightends and a QB.

Plus you have to worry about all the negative media attention and arrest.

Broncolingus
01-14-2008, 01:28 PM

I agree completely with this post and think quite a few of us feel the same way...

Unless 'lucky' with FA & draft over the next 1-2 years, Denver is likely 2-3 years, at a minimum, from being a serious playoff contender.

Lonestar
01-14-2008, 02:28 PM

What do yo really mean here? What are the problems in a complete turnaround?

What are your top 5 issues and how would you fix them?

BOSSHOGG30
01-14-2008, 02:30 PM
What do yo really mean here? What are the problems in a complete turnaround?

Read above

Medford Bronco
01-14-2008, 03:05 PM

how bout the 2007 49ers

they were pretty pathetic as well.

Broncolingus
01-14-2008, 04:31 PM
how bout the 2007 49ers

they were pretty pathetic as well.

Yeah...

I thought they would've been pretty awesome with them signing that play maker Ash-lee Lah-lee.

Makes you wonder...?

Chidoze
01-14-2008, 09:38 PM
Our offense has stunk ever since Dinger stepped foot into the building, in my humble opinion. :yuck: