PDA

View Full Version : EARLY ENTRY thread declared juniors

SmilinAssasSin27
01-02-2008, 06:27 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/players/11697/index.html

Nice player on an otherwise average team.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Younger brother of EJ Henderson. Dude can play. I don't know where he'll project w/ all the LB depth in this year's draft, but I could live w/ him in the 2nd or later.

http://umterps.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/henderson_erin00.html

Skinny
01-02-2008, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the info. I've been keeping my eye out to see what he and Earl Bennett do.

Wow, this Draft is stacked with LB's.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-02-2008, 07:43 PM
Yeah, I'm kinda surprised he came out. last night Maulagua said he still plans to stay in school, but will at least get reviewed by the NFL. Jerod Mayo may just wanna wait anotehr year. No way teh depth at LB is anywhere near what it is now. It'll be him, Maualuga, Sean Lee and Cushing.

BOSSHOGG30
01-02-2008, 10:10 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=Anqk5TyfodYp9iP70OE8TH85nYcB?slug=ap-texas-charles&prov=ap&type=lgns

Texas runningback Jamaal Charles declares

Wow... I'm shocked and I now my hopes are really up... I really want this guy, I'm shocked he decided to leave so early. He is a stud and he would look great in orange and blue.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-02-2008, 10:17 PM
Fast as F...

BOSSHOGG30
01-03-2008, 06:24 PM
Syracuse WR Taj Smith has declared for the 2008 NFL Draft.

A JUCO transfer, Smith caught 44 passes for 822 yards and five TDs in his only full year with the Orange. He's reportedly been timed at 4.42 in the forty, but turns 25 soon and has struggled with drops. Smith is likely no more than a late second-day pick currently who could rise in the pre-draft period.
Source: Yahoo Sports

BOSSHOGG30
01-03-2008, 06:25 PM
Florida DE Derrick Harvey has declared for the 2008 NFL Draft.

Harvey stands about 6'5 and is on the lanky side at 250 lbs, but can get to the passer. He led the Gators in sacks with 8.5 as a junior. Depending on how he tests, Harvey could be viewed as an outside linebacker by 3-4 clubs.

BOSSHOGG30
01-04-2008, 02:33 PM
Indiana WR James Hardy has declared for the 2008 NFL Draft.

A beast at 6'6/210, Hardy led the Big Ten in TD catches with 16 as a junior. Speed and explosiveness off the line are always the question marks with big receivers, but Hardy has a good shot at the first round if he times well.
Source: Indianapolis Star

SmilinAssasSin27
01-04-2008, 06:50 PM
Calais Campbell has made it official. He'll be in the draft.

Skinny
01-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Branden Albert, OG, Virginia Declared : http://www.charlottesvillenewsplex.tv/home/headlines/12995142.html#

WARHORSE
01-04-2008, 07:37 PM
Calais Campbell has made it official. He'll be in the draft.

Yay.

I would have NO problem drafting this guy in the first.
With some added muscle, he will be beyond beast stage.

DT will come in the second round if thats the case. Even with his ability not matured, just think of the quarterbacks that have to throw over his 6'8" height, not to mention him batting down passes. Since every right handed QB throws best to his right, line him up on the strong side during passing downs.

dogfish
01-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Florida DE Derrick Harvey has declared for the 2008 NFL Draft.

Harvey stands about 6'5 and is on the lanky side at 250 lbs, but can get to the passer. He led the Gators in sacks with 8.5 as a junior. Depending on how he tests, Harvey could be viewed as an outside linebacker by 3-4 clubs.

cool, now we can draft him and okam, and project gatorhorn will be complete. . . .

:lol:

Requiem / The Dagda
01-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Seriously if the Denver media takes another one of my words "Gatorhorn" like they did "Browncos" (just look at the Broncomania forum for the thread I made) without giving me due credit. . . ;)

Just playing.

I'm not surprised Erin came out. This is technically his senior year. I worry about his knee, but the guy is a boss. I have a very strong feeling he'll be a top twenty-five guy, if not higher when it's all said and done. Versatile, multiple scheme fit. He'll be good for any defense.

dogfish
01-04-2008, 07:52 PM
Seriously if the Denver media takes another one of my words "Gatorhorn" like they did "Browncos" (just look at the Broncomania forum for the thread I made) without giving me due credit. . . ;)

Just playing.

I'm not surprised Erin came out. This is technically his senior year. I worry about his knee, but the guy is a boss. I have a very strong feeling he'll be a top twenty-five guy, if not higher when it's all said and done. Versatile, multiple scheme fit. He'll be good for any defense.

man, i wish i was a member of the denver media. . . get solid pay for crap work-- that's a good gig if you can get it!

SmilinAssasSin27
01-04-2008, 09:15 PM
Jerod Mayo, LB, Tennessee will be deciding this weekend. If he comes out, he's a first rounder from what others are saying about him. He came on REALLY strong this year. I wasn't a big believer early on...even though he's a VOL, but he has been stellar and a great leader. If he comes out, and Phillips goes before 12, I'd be quite happy to move back into the early/mid 20s for him and pick up a #2.

Watchthemiddle
01-05-2008, 12:11 AM
I know he hasn't declared yet, but if he does, where does Laurinaitis go in the draft?

Skinny
01-05-2008, 12:19 AM
I've been looking at mocks all night WTM. Well over half of them have him going to NE at #7.

Skinny
01-05-2008, 03:30 AM
Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan State : http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/news/story?id=3182065

Davone Bess, WR, Hawaii : http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2008/Jan/04/br/br7431920865.html

Bobby Reid, QB, Oklahoma State : http://newsok.com/article/3189020/1199495120

Orlando Scandrick, CB, Boise State : http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/story/255017.html

Cornelius Ingram, TE, Florida : http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080105/SPORTS/801050336/1002/SPORTS

SmilinAssasSin27
01-05-2008, 08:50 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3182506&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

Looks like Mendenhall is coming out...

SmilinAssasSin27
01-05-2008, 08:51 PM
Illinois junior running back Rashard Mendenhall will enter the NFL draft, a source close to him said Saturday.

Mendenhall, the Big Ten Player of the Year, made his final case as a pro prospect in the Rose Bowl, where he gained 155 yards rushing and added 59 receiving yards in the Fighting Illini's loss to Southern California.

In 2007, Mendenhall rushed 262 times for 1,681 yards -- an average of 6.4 yards per attempt -- and 17 touchdowns.

Mendenhall's college coach, Ron Zook, told the Chicago Tribune that he expected he would turn pro.

"We all know he's a first-round talent," Zook said, according to the newspaper.

The Tribune also reported that his mother, Sibyl, said a news conference was planned for Thursday at Niles West High School, his alma mater.

BOSSHOGG30
01-05-2008, 09:38 PM
Great news, maybe that mean Charles slips another slot back in the draft... Some teams may not like Charles size and Mendenhall may get drafted before him.

dogfish
01-05-2008, 09:57 PM
I know he hasn't declared yet, but if he does, where does Laurinaitis go in the draft?

probably top ten. . .

Poet
01-05-2008, 10:30 PM

Hopefully to the Bengals.

Skinny
01-06-2008, 09:53 PM
Martellus Bennett, TE, Texas A&M: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5430733.html

BOSSHOGG30
01-07-2008, 10:48 AM
Central Florida RB Kevin Smith has declared for the 2008 NFL Draft.

Smith (6'1/211) led the nation in rushing as a junior, finishing 61 yards short of Barry Sanders' NCAA record of 2,628. He showed good receiving skills at UCF, but faced weak competition in C-USA and was used at an alarming rate. Smith had 450 carries in 2007, and it will likely be a concern on draft day.

Skinny
01-07-2008, 12:17 PM
Brandon Flowers, CB, VT: http://www.roanoke.com/sports/vtfootball/wb/146198

Skinny
01-07-2008, 12:22 PM
Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas: http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking_news/story/433503.html

Skinny
01-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Joe Burnett, CB, Central Florida:
While Kevin Smith makes all of the headlines, Joe Burnett has also told head coach George O’Leary that he too intends to leave early. His career has been somewhat of a roller coaster. Following a sensational freshmen year, he fell into a slump allowing several big plays. This year, he’s hit his peak once again. Playing on a Conference USA team and showing inconsistency, Burnett is slated as a 2nd day pick. (announced: 01/06)

SmilinAssasSin27
01-07-2008, 06:02 PM
Kevin Smith is a very intriguing prospect. In a system like ours where he can share the rock and get his legs back...I hafta say I at least a little interested.

MOtorboat
01-07-2008, 06:38 PM
Kevin Smith is a very intriguing prospect. In a system like ours where he can share the rock and get his legs back...I hafta say I at least a little interested.

He made some good movies too. I think he could play guard.

dogfish
01-07-2008, 08:03 PM
He made some good movies too. I think he could play guard.

yea, silent bob would fit in great with our O-line's media policy. . . . :laugh:

SmilinAssasSin27
01-07-2008, 08:40 PM
A Kansas OT and the Texas TE also declared...but I don't think they matter.

G_Money
01-08-2008, 06:04 PM
Ray Rice will skip his senior year to enter the NFL draft after becoming the leading rusher in Rutgers history and transforming the Scarlet Knights into a Top 25 team.

"I have always dreamed of playing in the NFL, and I felt the time is right to pursue the opportunity to play at the next level," he said in a statement Tuesday.

BOSSHOGG30
01-08-2008, 06:55 PM
Florida State linebacker Geno Hayes and Tennessee linebacker Jerod Mayo have both declared for the 2008 Draft.

BOSSHOGG30
01-08-2008, 06:56 PM
Erin Henderson was given a 3rd round grade from the NFL draft advisory.

BOSSHOGG30
01-08-2008, 06:58 PM
Kenny Phillips S Miami (FL) Junior

Mario Urrutia WR Louisville Junior

Franklin Dunbar OT Middle Tennessee St. Junior

Johnny Dingle DE West Virginia Junior

Ryan Clady OT Boise State Junior

Jamaal Charles RB Texas Junior

Erin Henderson LB Maryland Junior

Derrick Harvey DE Florida Junior

Taj Smith WR Syracuse Junior

Calais Campbell DE Miami (FL) Junior

Branden Albert OG Virginia Junior

Cornelius Ingram TE Florida Junior

James Hardy WR Indiana Junior

Orlando Scandrick CB Boise State Junior

Davone Bess WR Hawaii Junior

Rashard Mendenhall RB Illinois Junior

Martellus Bennett TE Texas A&M Junior

Kevin Smith RB Central Florida Junior

Joe Burnett CB Central Florida Junior

Brandon Flowers CB Virginia Tech Junior

Aqib Talib CB Kansas Junior

Anthony Collins OT Kansas Junior

Jermichael Finley TE Texas Junior

Jack Ikegwuonu CB Wisconsin Junior

Ray Rice RB Rutgers Junior

Geno Hayes LB Florida State Junior

Jerod Mayo LB Tennessee Junior

SmilinAssasSin27
01-08-2008, 09:23 PM
Move DJ to Will, draft Phillips, Mayo and Bell/Goff. Go DL the rest of the way and OL in FA...team is fixed!

HolyDiver
01-09-2008, 09:59 AM
Still waiting on Tyson Jackson and Rey Maualuga to declare. ...............That would change the top 10..................Jackson, I would think would go somehwere towards the end of the 1st round but Maualuga would be top 10 easy. If we were to draft him, put DJ back to Will like SA27 said. Draft a DT in the 2nd round. Silva in the 4th. ...............I have a few other ideas, but Coach might be watching. It's about a certain Runningback.

MHCBill
01-09-2008, 12:09 PM
Move DJ to Will, draft Phillips, Mayo and Bell/Goff. Go DL the rest of the way and OL in FA...team is fixed!
Have you been reading my sig?

mclark
01-09-2008, 12:30 PM

I've seen him anywhere from #6 to #24.

I don't think his play vs. LSU helped him however.

mclark
01-09-2008, 12:34 PM
Ray Rice will skip his senior year to enter the NFL draft after becoming the leading rusher in Rutgers history and transforming the Scarlet Knights into a Top 25 team.

"I have always dreamed of playing in the NFL, and I felt the time is right to pursue the opportunity to play at the next level," he said in a statement Tuesday.

I really like Ray Rice. He's such a good inside runner. And he makes a lot of first tacklers miss. I just don't see how we can afford to draft him unless we get rich with free agents.

Rice is alot like Jonathan Stewart (without the breakaway speed).

I have a gut feeling Jonathan Stewart stays in school. He's a Christian (what does that mean? Education, first; money, second?); he's having fun in the college environment; he might have a Heisman Trophy on his mind.

mclark
01-09-2008, 12:35 PM
Still waiting on Tyson Jackson and Rey Maualuga to declare. ...............That would change the top 10..................Jackson, I would think would go somehwere towards the end of the 1st round but Maualuga would be top 10 easy. If we were to draft him, put DJ back to Will like SA27 said. Draft a DT in the 2nd round. Silva in the 4th. ...............I have a few other ideas, but Coach might be watching. It's about a certain Runningback.

Yes, if Maualuga comes out, he moves to #1 on my want list.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-09-2008, 12:37 PM
The linebacker depth in this draft it so exceptional, Denver could wait past the first-round to get a great prospect at the position. When you have over 12 linebackers who deserved to be drafted in the first two rounds, the priority can lessen and we could wait until our second round pick to get them. I just don't see us drafting a LB that high with so much depth.

mclark
01-09-2008, 12:49 PM
The linebacker depth in this draft it so exceptional, Denver could wait past the first-round to get a great prospect at the position. When you have over 12 linebackers who deserved to be drafted in the first two rounds, the priority can lessen and we could wait until our second round pick to get them. I just don't see us drafting a LB that high with so much depth.

True. And there is a lot less depth at safety. If Phillips is on the board, he'd be very tempting.

CoachChaz
01-09-2008, 12:52 PM
If you take the small LB's and the large CB's, the safety class gets better, but it also creates a bigger learning curve. I'm all for getting Phillips.
________
Mercury My History (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Mercury_My)

mclark
01-09-2008, 01:47 PM
If you take the small LB's and the large CB's, the safety class gets better, but it also creates a bigger learning curve. I'm all for getting Phillips.

There is a good chance Ellis and Laurinitis will be gone and Phillips and Connor will be sitting on the board at 12. Hard to say no to Phillips considering the depth in the linebacker class and the lack of depth at safety in the draft.

CoachChaz
01-09-2008, 02:02 PM
There is a good chance Ellis and Laurinitis will be gone and Phillips and Connor will be sitting on the board at 12. Hard to say no to Phillips considering the depth in the linebacker class and the lack of depth at safety in the draft.

I just can't get overly impressed with Connor for some reason. Watching him against big lineman just scares me because he can't shed blocks very well.

Given the choice between those two, I have to be ecstatic that a talent like Phillips dropped to the 12 spot and I jump all over him.
________
Maryjane (http://maryjanes.info/)

BOSSHOGG30
01-09-2008, 02:42 PM
I just can't get overly impressed with Connor for some reason. Watching him against big lineman just scares me because he can't shed blocks very well.

Given the choice between those two, I have to be ecstatic that a talent like Phillips dropped to the 12 spot and I jump all over him.

I like Conner, and wouldn't be upset if we drafted him, but I'm not sure he is worth a 1st round pick considering how bad we need a DT and a safety. Plus free agency and the draft are stacked with linebacker talent.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-09-2008, 06:15 PM
The depth at LB is the only reason I'm not on Connor like I was Puz.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-09-2008, 07:32 PM
Adrian Arrington, WR, Michigan has declared.

Bronco9798
01-09-2008, 09:39 PM
# UM WR does go pro... Michigan junior WR Adrian Arrington has formally announced that he will be entering the 2008 NFL draft. The 6-2, 190-pound Arrington, who runs in the 4.55 range for the 40, caught 67 passes for 882 yards and 8 TDs this fall; he projects as a possible late second or early third round prospect for the upcoming draft, although he may also get pushed down a tad as there is just so much depth in this year’s receiver class.

Meanwhile, there is till no official word from fellow Michigan WR Mario Manningham whether as expected he intends to follow suit. Incoming head coach Rich Rodriquez has already indicated Manningham is no longer part of the team after he missed the Wolverines’ first team meeting under the new coaching regime. At the same time, Michigan freshman QB Ryan Mallett, one of the top recruits in the country last season, may be headed to Tennessee although UCLA, Texas A&M and Arkansas are all still reportedly to be possibilities. Mallett, a pure pocke passer, opted to transfer as his style likely won’t suit what is expected to be a run-oriented offense under Rodriquez.

Two, maybe three ACC Tigers likey NFL bound… Thanks to reader Daniel H. for the heads up as the The State, South Carolina’s main newspaper is reporting that both of Clemson juniors RB James Davis and DE Phillip Merling are close to announcing their intention to enter the 2008 drat, while a third, WR WR Aaron Kelly is also considering a jump to the pros this winter.

Noles LB confirms draft entry... Florida State junior LB Geno Hayes has confirmed that he will in fact be entering this year’s draft. The 6-2, 220-pound Hayes, who run in the 4.65 range for the 40, is a tad undersized by NFL OLB standards but he has been very disruptive over his career; this year, for example, Hayes had 17.5 tackles or loss including 5 sacks. Hayes, though, was also had some off-field problems in the past which won't help his draft status.

Skinny
01-09-2008, 09:47 PM
Kelly is staying: http://www.thestate.com/tigers/story/279869.html

SmilinAssasSin27
01-09-2008, 10:02 PM
IF we lose Walker, I really like both Manningham and Arrington. If we trade Bly for a 2 or 3, I'd be cool w/ taking Arrington w/ that pick.

Skinny
01-09-2008, 10:10 PM
James davis declares: http://www.realfootball365.com/college/articles/2008/01/clemsons_davis_to_enter_draft.html

SmilinAssasSin27
01-09-2008, 10:11 PM
Oh ****!!! Don't tell Boss. Things JUST got interesting.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-09-2008, 10:29 PM
WOW, A week and a half ago, I had minimal interest in the offensive players in this draft. I saw a bunch of LBs and later round DTs. Now it's beginning to look VERY strong. If Phillips is gone, trading back is looking more and more appealing.

If we could slide 6-10 spots and pick up a later pick or 2, we could still land a Clady or maybe Otah...and land a WR or RB like some of the names just mentioned.

BOSSHOGG30
01-10-2008, 10:50 AM
James davis declares: http://www.realfootball365.com/college/articles/2008/01/clemsons_davis_to_enter_draft.html

I just got done running circles of joy around my house. 100 laps in all. If we don't cut Henry with this deep of a draft class.... James Davis! Jamaal Charles! Awesome RB's who won't even go in the 1st round! plus Selvin Young and Andre Hall have shown they are just as talented as Henry, I will be upset at the Broncos Organization... That is all I have to say.

CoachChaz
01-10-2008, 11:13 AM
If Shanny drafts a RB with 3 in the stable, I'll be more upset. I highly doubt Henry gets but.
________
BUY CHEAP VAPORIZER (http://vaporizers.net/easy-vape)

BOSSHOGG30
01-10-2008, 11:20 AM
If Shanny drafts a RB with 3 in the stable, I'll be more upset. I highly doubt Henry gets but.

Henry has to get cut... I read some where that it actually saves the Broncos money if they do it before March or June... I have to find that article.

CoachChaz
01-10-2008, 11:24 AM
Henry has to get cut... I read some where that it actually saves the Broncos money if they do it before March or June... I have to find that article.

If that's the case, I'm all for it, but it depends on our FA success. We need to come out of the off-season/draft with a DT, LB, two S and two OT. Adding a RB to that list just makes it more difficult to accomplish
________
Drug Testing (http://drugtestingkit.org)

G_Money
01-10-2008, 11:26 AM
Just keep letting guys in the draft to push Forte down to me...

Come to me, Marcus Allen, come...

Coach - I don't think Henry's still gonna be with the team, or if he is that he'll be the main guy. I don't think Young or Hall can tote the rock 350 times in a year without injury.

And with as many good backs as there are in this draft I don't have any problem spending a 2nd day pick on one. I'd keep my 1st day picks for other needs, but there really SHOULD be a potentially-great back available in the 4th or 5th round.

I wouldn't mind adding that guy to this team. Sooner or later we have to have someone who can get a first down on the ground when it matters.

~G

G_Money
01-10-2008, 11:30 AM
If that's the case, I'm all for it, but it depends on our FA success. We need to come out of the off-season/draft with a DT, LB, two S and two OT. Adding a RB to that list just makes it more difficult to accomplish

The Broncos still like Hamza and Harris. They think the world of Harris, and are not at all worried that he's had 2 back surgeries before his pro career has even started. :rolleyes:

So the Broncos are more likely looking for a DT, LB, one Safety, One OT, and one WR to replace Javon.

I'm really concerned about the C position, but they might be satisfied w/ Hamilton there too.

Draft day is gonna be a strange animal, but there are backs I'd be perfectly happy to see added. When a team is going through the kind of turnover we are, there are only a few positions (like CB) where I actively not looking at players.

~G

CoachChaz
01-10-2008, 11:31 AM
Just keep letting guys in the draft to push Forte down to me...

Come to me, Marcus Allen, come...

Coach - I don't think Henry's still gonna be with the team, or if he is that he'll be the main guy. I don't think Young or Hall can tote the rock 350 times in a year without injury.

And with as many good backs as there are in this draft I don't have any problem spending a 2nd day pick on one. I'd keep my 1st day picks for other needs, but there really SHOULD be a potentially-great back available in the 4th or 5th round.

I wouldn't mind adding that guy to this team. Sooner or later we have to have someone who can get a first down on the ground when it matters.

~G

Like I said, it really depends on our FA success. If we can fill a few holes that way, then I wouldn't mind looking at an RB, but I don't know that I want a 2nd day guy. I'd much prefer being in a situation where we could get a Charles or Mendenhall, etc. in round 2.
________
Volcano vaporizers (http://volcanovaporizer.net/)

G_Money
01-10-2008, 11:42 AM
There are scenarios in which I would light up like a christmas tree to see Mendenhall on this team via a first-day pick.

We should know if those are happening by the end of March. Without the right FAs, I think there are likely to be some criminally under-rated talents at RB who get the shaft this year and fall to 2nd day.

Jamaal Charles
Tashard Choice
James Davis
Matt Forte
Mike Hart (not for me, but others like him)
Chris Johnson
Felix Jones (possibly)
Darren McFadden (probably)
Rashard Mendenhall
Allen Patrick
Ray Rice
Kevin Smith (others love him far more than I do)
James Stewart (probably)

I mean seriously - are you kidding me? SOMEBODY is gonna slip, and hard.

~G

CoachChaz
01-10-2008, 11:54 AM
There are scenarios in which I would light up like a christmas tree to see Mendenhall on this team via a first-day pick.

We should know if those are happening by the end of March. Without the right FAs, I think there are likely to be some criminally under-rated talents at RB who get the shaft this year and fall to 2nd day.

Jamaal Charles
Tashard Choice
James Davis
Matt Forte
Mike Hart (not for me, but others like him)
Chris Johnson
Felix Jones (possibly)
Darren McFadden (probably)
Rashard Mendenhall
Allen Patrick
Ray Rice
Kevin Smith (others love him far more than I do)
James Stewart (probably)

I mean seriously - are you kidding me? SOMEBODY is gonna slip, and hard.

~G

But following the idea that we want a bona fide stud, we can leave a few names off of that list.
________
YAMAHA RD350 HISTORY (http://www.yamaha-tech.com/wiki/Yamaha_RD350)

Requiem / The Dagda
01-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Like G said, there's going to be fantastic value over the boards - and with the first day only consisting of two rounds, there's going to be a plethora of talent available at the position (likely) in rounds three two four. With Henry's situation still up in the air (and I'm not sure if you've heard anything G, but you seem to know some things or two and articulate your points well) I just can't see the Broncos investing a very early selection in the running back unless he's rid of.

However, there's always a chance (and always will be) that they'd jump on the value if a player they liked at the position was there at either of their first day selections. However, I still think that's unreasonable, and I have my mind set on the opinion that they'll upgrade our lines first and foremost -- for the fact that it's been reported numerous times from numerous people who usually know their "stuff" that the Broncos have been scouting offensive and defensive tackles hard.

Good thing, this class has a lot of quality offensive tackle.

Bad thing, this class lacks a lot of quality at defensive tackle.

With a lot of teams having their #1 options at running back in the NFL today, I can see a good player that G mentioned being available for us early on the second day. The grades obviously vary on a player to player basis - but the average number of running backs drafted in the past five years is 17. There's definitely 17 quality backs in this draft, and I'd say that there are about 10 good long-term options out there. (Assuming that McFadden and Stewart declare.)

The flip side of the argument of Denver not taking a running back early could be this: All the good juniors are declaring, so next year will be a relatively weak class. I'd assume that as well, and with Shanahan being obsessed with running backs so much, it's not out of the equation to assume that we wouldn't draft one early.

Personally, I don't feel as of right now it's going to happen, but a lot can change between now and April. This is a draft where having multiple second day picks (as we do) is going to be a blessing, and I seriously hope that in one way or another, we can get more. I think using that #12 selection overall would be a waste considering the overall depth in this draft, but maybe that's just me.

CoachChaz
01-10-2008, 11:58 AM
It all comes down to what happens with henry and FA. If we do not focus on fixing the OT problem, it won't matter who is running the football.
________
Marijuana Vaporizer (http://weedvaporizers.org/)

Requiem / The Dagda
01-10-2008, 12:01 PM
It all comes down to what happens with henry and FA. If we do not focus on fixing the OT problem, it won't matter who is running the football.

Well, obviously - which is why it's so hard predicting things right now. By early April, you'll catch wind of what's really going to happen during the draft, or at least what positions we're likely targeting. I'm interested to sniff out some Senior Bowl and Indianapolis thoughts again, those are always good. I agree though, the offensive line really needs to be addressed.

CoachChaz
01-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Well, obviously - which is why it's so hard predicting things right now. By early April, you'll catch wind of what's really going to happen during the draft, or at least what positions we're likely targeting. I'm interested to sniff out some Senior Bowl and Indianapolis thoughts again, those are always good. I agree though, the offensive line really needs to be addressed.

I'm okay with Holland and Kuper, but we are in desperate need of some tackles. if Pears is a starter again, I'll be sick.
________
Teen Vid (http://teenvid.org)

BOSSHOGG30
01-10-2008, 01:37 PM
Arkansas RB Darren McFadden was handcuffed by police at a piano bar Thursday after being involved in a "pretty rowdy scene."

Uh...a piano bar? A disturbance broke out shortly after midnight at the bar and had spilled into the street. The Heisman runner-up and All American was not charged with a crime and released after merely being cuffed for a few minutes because police felt he was getting "rowdy." If McFadden declares for the NFL Draft, this shouldn't adversely affect him. Jan. 10 - 12:40 pm et

Skinny
01-10-2008, 03:17 PM
Earl Bennett Declares: http://vucommodores.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/011008aaa.html

Skinny
01-10-2008, 03:19 PM
My heart is pounding ...

BOSSHOGG30
01-10-2008, 03:24 PM
Earl Bennett Declares: http://vucommodores.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/011008aaa.html

Good route runner, but his speed will hurt him at the combine.

BOSSHOGG30
01-10-2008, 03:58 PM
Florida TE Cornelius Ingram has decided to stay in school for his senior season.

Ingram got a third-round grade from the NFL Draft Advisory Committee. He should probably stay in the weight room to add strength to his 235-pound frame if Ingram hopes to be an every-down player in the league.
Source: The Florida Alligator

Requiem / The Dagda
01-10-2008, 05:10 PM
I'd love Earl here, been talking about him since past April. The next Boldin.

G_Money
01-10-2008, 05:37 PM
For some reason I thought he'd already declared...but here it is:

SKOKIE, Ill. -- Rashard Mendenhall will skip his senior year at Illinois and enter the NFL draft after rushing for a school-record 1,681 yards while leading the Illini on an unexpected run to the Rose Bowl.

~G

CoachChaz
01-11-2008, 08:03 AM
I'd love Earl here, been talking about him since past April. The next Boldin.

Bennett would be a nice pick up and Cutler would be comfortable with him.

BOSSHOGG30
01-11-2008, 04:33 PM
NCAA | Stewart declares for NFL Draft
Fri, 11 Jan 2008 13:18:28 -0800

ESPNews reports University of Oregon junior RB Jonathan Stewart declared he will enter the 2008 NFL Draft.

G_Money
01-11-2008, 05:00 PM
Three words for this draft:

Running Back Heaven.

Anybody looking for a back should be able to find somebody who suits their fancy, and not just in the 1st round either.

I can't believe all these guys who want to pass on being a top-3 back next year in order to come out this year and hopefully make the 1st 3 rounds.

Steve Slaton needs to stay in school - his disappointing year might not get him drafted before rd 5 at this rate, while next year he could be a 1st rounder with any sort of rebound season.

~G

SmilinAssasSin27
01-11-2008, 05:25 PM
I like James Davis. If he's a 3rd rounder...trade Ian or Foxxy to get him.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-11-2008, 05:42 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/news/story?id=3192411

SHOCKER!!! Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State...to STAY IN SCHOOL!

Also, DE, Gholston declares for draft.

dogfish
01-11-2008, 07:31 PM
Three words for this draft:

Running Back Heaven.

Anybody looking for a back should be able to find somebody who suits their fancy, and not just in the 1st round either.

I can't believe all these guys who want to pass on being a top-3 back next year in order to come out this year and hopefully make the 1st 3 rounds.

Steve Slaton needs to stay in school - his disappointing year might not get him drafted before rd 5 at this rate, while next year he could be a 1st rounder with any sort of rebound season.

~G

yea, this draft looks like it could be the best RB class in the past decade. . . deep, diverse and talented-- a few teams are probably going to get some damn good backs in the middle rounds this year, and i wish we could acquire a 3rd somehow (maybe trading back in the 1st if someone is interested). . .

there are at least a few legitimate good backs available pretty much every year, but it's tough to see the glut of them this year when we have a lot of other pressing needs at positions where the production is so much less than what we can get with the backs we have. . . i'm on the record the past two years saying that this team won't go anywhere until it gets better in the trenches on both sides of the ball, regardless of what skill position talent we put in place-- and that the best and cheapest way to improve there is by investing 1st day draft picks. . . still, it would sure be sweet if we were able to fill a few of those needs with quality free agents who are ready to play right away, so we could afford to spend one of our two top slections to grab one of these horses. . . pretty much a luxury pick at this point, but a real playmaker instead of these comittee guys could take this offense to another level if we get solid line play. . .

i did read that slaton is staying in school. . .

i'm thinking the depth at RB might make teams who would have otherwise been interested less likely to trade up for mcfadden. . . . he's obviously a standout talent even in a class like this, but with all the other talent available teams might be a little more inclined to wait. . .

Bronco9798
01-11-2008, 07:33 PM
# 94:30 PM): Duck back goe pro... Oregon junior RB Jonathan Stewart has announced he will pass up his senior season and enter the 2008 draft. The 5-10, 230-pound Stewart, who reportedly runs in the 4.4 range for the 40, ran for a school-record 1,722 yards this fall. Stewart looks like a solid second rounder with the potential to move into the late first rounder if teams become enamaored with his size-speed combination.

# (3:00 PM): Cards LB goes pro… Louisville junior LB Lamar Myles has become the latest underclassman to announce that he will skip his senior season and enter the 2008 draft. Myles, who is undersized at 6-0, 200 but can run with a reported 40 clocking under 4.6 seconds, led the Cardinals with 128 tackles this past season.
# Buzz continues about top prospect in ‘shackles’… In the end it is likely to be much ado about nothing, but NFL teams with picks at the very top of the 2008 draft board have to be paying close attention to the shenanigans going on down in Little Rock where Arkansas junior RB Darren McFadden expected to be one of the top 2-3 players selected this coming April ended up in handcuffs after a fight at a local club. So far, no charges have been laid which means McFadden could be really of the hook, but it could remain as a bit of red flag over the course of the pre-draft testing process. Courtesy of the Northwest Arkansas Gazette here’s a rundown of what appears to have transpired during the incident. It also remains a lesson that a lot of young draft prospects seem to have a tough time figuring out and that is: bad things tend to happen in after hours clubs!

# (12:30 pm); Buck WR to stay; others mum… Ohio State junior WR Brian Robiskie has decided to return for his senior season. Robiskie, who led the Buckeyes with 55 catches for 935 yards and 11 touchdowns this season, is one of several Buckeye underclassmen to weigh their NFL options this month. Indeed, the NFL is anxiously awaiting word from fellow juniors CB Malcolm Jenkins, who would likely be one of the top 2-3 players, if not the first, off the board at the position this coming April if he enters the draft, DE Vernon Gholston, MLB James Laurinaitis and OT Alex Boone.

# (10:30 AM):Junior draft updates... North Carolina State junior FS DaJuan Morgan, who led N.C. State with 117 tackles and 13 passes broken up last season, has announced that he will forgo his senior season to enter the NFL draft. Morgan said he submitted paperwork to the NFL draft advisory board, which projected him as a fourth-round selection. Meanwhile, Florida TE/WR Cornelius Ingram has reportedly decided to return for his senior season. Ingram had shown up on several underclassmen in the draft lists last week, however, a family spokesperson said Ingram had never really made up his mind. And John Murphy of Yahoo Sports is reporting that Florida State junior DT Letroy Guion has decided to enter the 2008 NFL Draft after careful consideration, which included receiving back his grade from the NFL Advisory Committee. Guion reportedly received a third round grade from the NFL's special draft advisory committee. Guion was one of several FSU players suspended for the team's Music City Bowl and he was unsure of the length of any further punishment for violating team rules, stemming from an academic issue that cost them over 30 players.

Bronco9798
01-11-2008, 07:35 PM
# Coin flip odds poser… The tie for the 3rd, 4th and 5th picks at the 2008 draft will reportedly be broken by a coin flip or coin flips during the scouting combine in Indianapolis in February. According to a report published in various sources including the NFL’s media site, Oakland and Atlanta will flip for the 3rd and 4th picks. If Atlanta wins, the Falcons will pick 3rd, the Raiders 4th, while Kansas City will have the 5th pick. If Oakland wins the initial coin flip the Raiders will have the 3rd pick and Atlanta will then flip with Kansas City for the 4th and 5th picks. Sounds simple enough so far. It occurred to us, though, that it would have been even simpler if the NFL had simply had Atlanta pick a number out of a hat, either a 3, 4, or 5. If Atlanta picks the three, they get the 3rd pick, Oakland would pick fourth and KC fifth. On the other hand, if the Falcons drew the 4, Oakland would pick third, Atlanta 4th and the Chiefs 5th. And of course if Atlanta drew the 5, Oakland would pick 3rd, Kansas City 4th and the Falcons 5th.

In the end, though, we figured what does it matter, the odds of each team getting one of the three respective picks would be the same no matter which method was used. Being a semi-retired statistician with an incurious mind, though, we worked the actual odds just to be sure. And here’s the kicker: they aren’t the same! Logic would dictate that since Atlanta has no competitive advantage over the other two teams in the deal, the Falcons odds of getting each of the three picks should be one in three or 33%. With the double flip method, though, the Falcons odds of getting the 3rd pick are actually 50%, while their odds of getting the 4th or 5th picks are each 25%. At the same time, Oakland’s odds of getting the third pick are 66% using the number out of the hat method, which again makes sense as they have the tie-breaker over one of the other teams in the mix (Kansas City), but only 50% using the double coin flips. Meanwhile, Kansas City has only a 25% chance of getting the 4th pick, and by extension a 75% of getting the 5th pick, using the NFL’s announced method, whereas the Chiefs would have a 33% of getting the 4th pick with the number in the hat scenario. As we are not sure what we missed here we’d appreciate hearing from any mathematically literate readers out there as to whether we have it figured correctly or incorrectly.

dogfish
01-11-2008, 07:41 PM
good choice by robiskie-- he has a lot of potential, but he still needs a lot of work as well. . . . another year of development could improve his stock considerably. . .

BOSSHOGG30
01-11-2008, 07:58 PM
Looks like the Ohio St crew will all be back for next years run. I figured this would happen if they lose... I bet if they won these kids would of come out... they want that Championship so bad they can taste it... two years of down fall, I don't blame them.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-11-2008, 08:16 PM
Slaton would still be a top three round guy if he came out. Anyways, he should stay and go in the first next year. If Denver wants a back, they better get one this year, because there isn't going to be a lot of nice ones next year with all the juniors declaring.

BOSSHOGG30
01-11-2008, 08:17 PM
Slaton would still be a top three round guy if he came out. Anyways, he should stay and go in the first next year. If Denver wants a back, they better get one this year, because there isn't going to be a lot of nice ones next year with all the juniors declaring.

What backs to you like Dream?

Requiem / The Dagda
01-11-2008, 08:29 PM
I think there are so many good players that we don't need to take any back in the first round. I'd prefer us trading down and accumulating some more picks to take advantage of the great value at numerous positions we could use more players at.

Realistically, most of these juniors are good fits for our offense, and I'd like to see any of them here. A lot of people on the forums (all of them) are getting sold on just one or two because people are continuously pumping up players.

I think with the value at other positions in the draft, and this draft in general - a good back will fall.

Tashard Choice is my favorite senior. I love his vision, he can catch the rock and he runs hard inside and out. He's a jack of all trades but a master of none. He and Young would make a nice combination. I think with everyone else declaring, he could slip to the fourth round or so.

James Davis is probably the best "fit" for any of the junior backs. Great vision and cut back ability. He has a lot of upside and also has that home run threat and ability.

I like Jamaal Charles a lot too, and they're my top three guys for the Broncos.

Skip over McFadden, Stewart and Mendenhall. (Even though they're all quality.)

You have value in Davis, Charles, Smith, Rice and Choice who will go between rounds two and four that are juniors, and that's not even including seniors.

Matt Forte isn't a bad player from what I've heard, but I only caught glimpse of a Tulane game or two this year. He sounds like he'd be a nice player to have here, and could be available, and more than likely will be available in the mid rounds due to the influx of junior talent.

A late-round guy who could have been a top three player before he was injured and didn't play in the Bowl game was Ryan Torain of Arizona State. He's another jack of all trades guy but has limited D-I experience. I think he'll slip quite a bit and would be a nice quality find for us, perhaps even into the fifth round, maybe even later.

Fits for the team and value: Davis, Charles, Smith, Rice (JRs) and Choice (SR)

Senior Mid-Round value: Forte, Torain

There are some others I'm leaving out, but those would be some of my targets.

G_Money
01-12-2008, 02:29 AM
I agree with all your value guys.

Our system fits Choice perfectly. He and Davis are two backs who should be able to reach their utmost potential here, and I've been partial to Choice for a while. Not the biggest guy, but I love the way he runs.

Charles will fit most anywhere, but here would be good for both him and us. I think his 40 time should move him above guys like Rice and get him in the high 2nd, but we'll see. I'm okay with Rice, but I'd hope it'd be because of a fall to the 2nd day and not a 2nd round pick.

I don't like Kevin Smith as much as some. HolyDiver was talking about Chauncey Washington as "the healthy version of Selvin Young" but that's what I consider Kevin Smith to be. I also don't like his habit of going down when somebody tries to arm-tackle him around the thigh. In open space he's mighty dangerous but a lot of those huge gaps he spent his time running through won't be as huge in the pros and while I saw a lot of yards from him, I didn't see him drag a lot of guys or break a lot of tackles to get those yards. He falls forward though, so that's a plus. He's just not as high on my board as he is on some.

Torain I was interested in, and I just haven't seen enough of due to injury this year. I equated him to Choice early, and both have that slippery-hard style. IIRC Torain was a bit of a showboat, but he played for Erickson, so that's to be expected. He's likely to fall a long way, and so I wouldn't mind picking him up in the 5th if he falls that far. He's the sort of value pick you can make a draft on.

But my boy in this draft is Matt Forte. There isn't a thing about him I don't like, and his one drawback (lack of top-end speed) isn't something I consider a big deal. Is it nice to have a back that can out run CBs to the house every time? Sure. Is it vital? No.

Forte has a really weird loping run that doesn't seem to be fast until you try to catch him. He's at full speed in three steps, he has a short punchy stride when in traffic so he can change direction without body lean and then he accelerates into his longer stride without hesitation. He has great body control, can block and has good hands, has terrific vision, slides through holes and goes both around and through people, his pads are always pointed at the goal line...

And he can carry the load. That's not a problem. His injury last year happened much like TD's career-stopping one did - on an interception - but he's proven this year he can tote the rock with the best of them. I don't think his particular version of the upright style is as injury-provoking as that of some other running backs because of his elusiveness and the way he manages to slide from contact instead of eating the hit head on every time.

He's a hard-working, soft-spoken kid who doesn't showboat (if you can find me a frame of him spiking the ball I'll give you a buck - it's not his style) but does work his ass off every day.

He's a kid I'd be proud to call a Bronco and I think the world of his talent. I've called him potentially the next Marcus Allen and people scoff. Get him in the right system with a coach who believes in him (there are some people calling him a FB...please...) and I believe I'll have the last laugh. :salute:

And with the flood of juniors, a normal Matt Forte 40 time will put him on the 2nd day. He thinks he can run a fast one at the combine, in the 4.4s...but this is the only time I'm rooting against him.

Because I don't care about 40 time in this particular case. Give me a guy with the heart and talent of Forte over the speed and flash of a Chris Johnson any day.

So yes, Forte's my guy - but man there are a lot of backs in this draft I could get behind in the orange-and-blue. :cool:

~G

BOSSHOGG30
01-12-2008, 10:48 AM
NCAA | McFadden to enter NFL Draft
Sat, 12 Jan 2008 06:31:53 -0800

Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports University of Arkansas RB Darren McFadden will enter the 2008 NFL Draft, according to multiple sources.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-12-2008, 10:57 AM
I don't want projects who may fit well into the system. If Henry is let go we will need another RB. I want Mendenhall or James Davis. Guys who have proven their talent at a D-1 level vs BCS types of defenses.

WARHORSE
01-12-2008, 04:06 PM

Well, looking at our history, Id say we have two fourths, two fifths and two sevenths to look at Oline. Thats six picks, and Im sure Dlinemen will be in that mix.

Outside of that we got our first and second. Im not sure Phillips makes it to us, so unless we have Ellis or Dorsey or Long fall to us, I think we try to trade back. Otherwise, the best player available might very well be Jonathan Stewart.

We really need at least two QBs to get selected before we pick. That would help alot, OR if Stewart gets selected before us. That too would help alot in pushing people down that we need.

For everthing that we need, if we HAVE to pick at 12, I hope its Dorsey, Long, Long, Ellis or Phillips we get, and in all likelyhood, I think Phillips is the only one we have the best shot at........without moving.

BOSSHOGG30
01-13-2008, 10:00 AM
http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10573362

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- The father of Arkansas star Darren McFadden denied a report that he has sent paperwork to the NFL so his son can enter the upcoming draft.

ESPN.com, citing unidentified sources, reported that Graylon McFadden provided the relevant paperwork early this week.

"I hate to be saying anything because all these false stories and everything are floating around," Graylon McFadden told the Associated Press on Saturday. "But no I didn't -- and that's all I've got to say."

University spokesman Kevin Trainor said Saturday he didn't anticipate an announcement on Darren McFadden before Monday.

McFadden, a junior tailback, was the Heisman Trophy runner-up in 2006 and 2007. His entry into the NFL Draft would come as no surprise. He's second on the Southeastern Conference's single-season and career rushing lists after running for 1,830 yards this past season and 4,590 during his three-year career.

The deadline for underclassmen to declare for the NFL Draft is Tuesday. Felix Jones, Arkansas' other talented junior tailback, has said he'll announce his intentions Monday.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-13-2008, 10:03 AM
Sumthin tells me Felix stays. A solid season in the awful offense gets him the #1 RB spot next year...barring a shocker coming out of nowhere.

MOtorboat
01-13-2008, 10:07 AM
http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10573362

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- The father of Arkansas star Darren McFadden denied a report that he has sent paperwork to the NFL so his son can enter the upcoming draft.

ESPN.com, citing unidentified sources, reported that Graylon McFadden provided the relevant paperwork early this week.

"I hate to be saying anything because all these false stories and everything are floating around," Graylon McFadden told the Associated Press on Saturday. "But no I didn't -- and that's all I've got to say."

University spokesman Kevin Trainor said Saturday he didn't anticipate an announcement on Darren McFadden before Monday.

McFadden, a junior tailback, was the Heisman Trophy runner-up in 2006 and 2007. His entry into the NFL Draft would come as no surprise. He's second on the Southeastern Conference's single-season and career rushing lists after running for 1,830 yards this past season and 4,590 during his three-year career.

The deadline for underclassmen to declare for the NFL Draft is Tuesday. Felix Jones, Arkansas' other talented junior tailback, has said he'll announce his intentions Monday.

There's no way he would stay...right...

SmilinAssasSin27
01-13-2008, 10:09 AM
No reason to for McFadden. New coach, no other talent around him and he is already top 5. Felix isn't top 5 or I'd say the same for him.

MOtorboat
01-13-2008, 10:10 AM
No reason to for McFadden. New coach, no other talent around him and he is already top 5. Felix isn't top 5 or I'd say the same for him.

Is it in stone that Mallet is going there? I know he'd have to sit a year most likely, but is that in stone?

SmilinAssasSin27
01-13-2008, 10:11 AM
No word yet. Some think he was using Tennessee to get the old Michigan OC a job, but UT went for the Richmond head coach. We'll see.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-13-2008, 10:13 AM
OK...I'm wrong. He is gonna be a Razorback.

MOtorboat
01-13-2008, 11:03 AM
OK...I'm wrong. He is gonna be a Razorback.

I haven't been paying attention, does that mean Pryor committed to Michigan?

SmilinAssasSin27
01-13-2008, 11:07 AM
Not yet...but unfortunatley it's looking to end up that way. I frickin HATE Michigan!

BOSSHOGG30
01-13-2008, 06:47 PM
West Virginia RB Steve Slaton will forgo his senior season and enter the 2008 NFL Draft.

There were numerous reports after the Mountaineers' Fiesta Bowl win that Slaton would stay in school, but this is probably a smart move. The 5'10/190 pound scatback likely would've come off the bench in 2008 behind Noel Devine. He says he received a second-round grade from the NFL Draft Advisory Committee, but may need to run in the 4.3s at the Combine to go that high. Jan. 13 - 5:28 pm et
Source: ESPN.com

MOtorboat
01-13-2008, 06:58 PM
West Virginia RB Steve Slaton will forgo his senior season and enter the 2008 NFL Draft.

There were numerous reports after the Mountaineers' Fiesta Bowl win that Slaton would stay in school, but this is probably a smart move. The 5'10/190 pound scatback likely would've come off the bench in 2008 behind Noel Devine. He says he received a second-round grade from the NFL Draft Advisory Committee, but may need to run in the 4.3s at the Combine to go that high. Jan. 13 - 5:28 pm et
Source: ESPN.com

Not a big surprise. I wouldn't stick around with my coach and my system leaving, either...

bmarsh15
01-13-2008, 08:27 PM
Wow this 2008 RB class is deep:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/news/story?id=3194897

claymore
01-13-2008, 08:47 PM
Wow this 2008 RB class is deep:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/news/story?id=3194897

Slatons a baller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUgvCtO_OME

bmarsh15
01-13-2008, 08:57 PM
A lot of CBs this year:
http://pennstate.scout.com/2/718257.html

MOtorboat
01-13-2008, 10:16 PM
There's not really a need to start a thread for everyone that declares, they stickied a thread for it:
http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7750

SmilinAssasSin27
01-13-2008, 11:56 PM
Slaton is in over his head. Complete product of the O...and White makes it go, not Slaton. He was eitehr banged up or given up on late in the season. Whoever advised him, F'd him big time.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-13-2008, 11:56 PM
King can be a star. Still has some developing to do, but he should be a heck of a CB.

MOtorboat
01-13-2008, 11:57 PM
Slaton is in over his head. Complete product of the O...and White makes it go, not Slaton. He was eitehr banged up or given up on late in the season. Whoever advised him, F'd him big time.

He is a better prospect than White, imo.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-13-2008, 11:59 PM
Didn't say he wasn't...since White is a QB. BUT Slaton is gonna fall hard w/in the group of backs in this draft. W/o White, he'd be nothing...it's even been said that he'd likely lose his starting job AS A SENIOR. That says enuff to me.

bmarsh15
01-14-2008, 12:33 AM
Arkansas RBs Darren Mcfadden and Felix Jones Declare:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/news/story?id=3195375

MOtorboat
01-14-2008, 11:10 AM
Apparently, Xavier Lee thinks he's ready for the NFL and he thinks he's getting an invite to the combine:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3195763

ather says Lee will not transfer, will prepare for combine instead

Xavier Lee's turbulent career at Florida State is over after the Seminoles asked him to move from quarterback to tight end, his father told the Orlando Sentinel.

Lee's father, Willie, said Xavier, a redshirt junior, was told by Florida State coaches he no longer would be playing quarterback, and that offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher had asked him to play tight end instead.

Lee, who was a much-heralded recruit out of high school but started only six games for the Seminoles, is not enrolled in spring classes at Florida State, and a Seminoles coach confirmed to the Tallahassee Democrat that Lee was no longer a part of the football program.

According to Willie Lee, Xavier likely will prepare for an anticipated invitation to the NFL scouting combine, and will not transfer to another school.

"Can't blame him, man," Willie Lee said of his son's decision to leave school, according to the Sentinel. "What else is he going to do -- sit around there and watch other kids go ahead of him?"

Lee's time at Florida State had been rocky, at best. This season, he began as the backup to Drew Weatherford, but came off the bench and engineered a 21-14 victory against Alabama. He started the next three games, but was benched again Oct. 20 after throwing two interceptions and fumbling twice in Florida State's loss to Miami.

After that, he was suspended for two games for violating the team's class attendance rules. He also never took the field for Florida State again. He had told reporters he would be eligible to play in the Music City Bowl, but when the Seminoles traveled to Nashville for the game, Lee was not with them.

Lee's mother, Gloria, told the Sentinel on Sunday that she has been "heartbroken" by her son's turbulent FSU career. "As a single parent, I'm pretty much upset, heartbroken, because of the situation they put him in and how they treated him over the years," Gloria Lee said.

BOSSHOGG30
01-14-2008, 03:58 PM
Arkansas junior running back Felix Jones declared for the NFL draft at a news conference on Monday.

Jones and junior teammate Darren McFadden, each of whom topped 1,000 yards rushing this season, could both be taken in the first round of the next NFL draft.

McFadden spoke first at a joint news conference Monday. Then it was Jones' turn.

"I guess that'll be the last handoff from D-Mac," Jones joked.

Jones, 6 feet, 207 pounds, averaged 8.7 yards per carry and scored 11 rushing touchdowns. He is also a proven threat as a returner.

Joe Schad covers college football for ESPN. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

WARHORSE
01-14-2008, 04:07 PM
Ahhhhh.

Felix is good news. I was concerned whether he would be comin out.

What can I say, Im delirious.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/warhorse001/headbanger.gif

BOSSHOGG30
01-14-2008, 04:21 PM
Boy we really screwed up signing Travis Henry. No one will want him, the draft stock for runningbacks is the best it has ever been and we won't be able to take advantage of it. What a great situation the Broncos put themselves in.

G_Money
01-14-2008, 04:22 PM
I can't believe EVERY Junior there is wants to jump out of college into this hugely deep draft pool.

The guy who stays is the guy who has the leg up on the Heisman, the 1st round next year, all the publicity...

And nobody wants it. It's just...who are their agents?

We better get a RB of some stripe this year - it's looking more and more like next year's gonna be slim pickins, in the senior ranks for sure.

~G

Requiem / The Dagda
01-14-2008, 05:04 PM
Boy we really screwed up signing Travis Henry. No one will want him, the draft stock for runningbacks is the best it has ever been and we won't be able to take advantage of it. What a great situation the Broncos put themselves in.

Why won't we be able to take advantage of it? We can if we want to, it just depends on how the team prioritizes their needs. If we could get another selection or so early on, we can easily do it.

fcspikeit
01-14-2008, 05:13 PM
Has James Laurinaitis declared yet?

SmilinAssasSin27
01-14-2008, 05:37 PM
I can't believe EVERY Junior there is wants to jump out of college into this hugely deep draft pool.

The guy who stays is the guy who has the leg up on the Heisman, the 1st round next year, all the publicity...

And nobody wants it. It's just...who are their agents?

We better get a RB of some stripe this year - it's looking more and more like next year's gonna be slim pickins, in the senior ranks for sure.

~G

Agents? They don't have no stinkin agents. That'd be against the rules.

Anyhoo, What the Frick is Xavier Lee thinking? What does he expect to do in the NFL? He can't even start in college w/o getting constantly pulled for an equally disappointing never was.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-14-2008, 05:38 PM

I haven't seen anything yet. Like I said before...plenty feel that he will end up staying. If he does, the only real players they will lose would be Barton at OT (senior) and Gholston at DE. OSU will likely be in the title game yet again.

mclark
01-14-2008, 06:15 PM
I like James Davis. If he's a 3rd rounder...trade Ian or Foxxy to get him.

Who would give up a third round pick for Ian Gold or Foxworth?

Ricky
01-14-2008, 06:17 PM
Who would give up a third round pick for Ian Gold or Foxworth?

Washington?

BOSSHOGG30
01-14-2008, 06:22 PM

I don't know if he will.... Seems like most of the Ohio St guys want to stay and give themselves another shot at the National Championship next season.

MOtorboat
01-14-2008, 06:25 PM
I don't know if he will.... Seems like most of the Ohio St guys want to stay and give themselves another shot at the National Championship next season.

I thought the deadline passed like two hours ago...

Broncospsycho77
01-14-2008, 06:55 PM
Ohio State's Laurinaitis will return for senior season
Posted by Doug Lesmerises January 14, 2008 17:09PM
DOUG LESMERISES
Plain Dealer Reporter

COLUMBUS - Ohio State All-American linebacker James Laurinaitis told the Plain Dealer this afternoon that he will return for his senior season at Ohio State.

"To be honest with you, there was a lot of praying and trying to trust the Lord and there were certain signs," Laurinaitis said. "Talking to my mom this weekend, whenever I talked to her about coming back next year with the Buckeyes, I was more excited than anything about the NFL. I'm having too much fun at Ohio State."

Laurinaitis said he anticipated he would have been a top 10 pick in the NFL Draft in April. With his return, the Buckeyes retained five of the six juniors who considered leaving for the NFL, with only defensive end Vernon Gholston going pro.

"Money can't give you this experience, especially your senior season with the way this season could go," Laurinaitis said. "I'm excited about my choice to come back."

He said the decisions of linebacker Marcus Freeman, a fourth-year junior, and fellow third-year juniors Malcolm Jenkins, Alex Boone and Brian Robiskie had an effect on his decision. That recruiting class of 2005 was the backbone of this year's team and will return without losing anyone to the NFL. Gholston was a fourth-year junior.

"It had something to do with maturity and being able to move on with life. I think I'm mature enough to handle the next level, but I didn't want to leave here," Laurinaitis said. "My class came together and we committed to leaving together.

"I talked to them a lot. They influenced me a little bit. I don't think you want to be the only guy coming back from an entire class, so I think it influence med, though these decisions are made on an individual basis."

Julie Laurinaitis flew down from Minnesota over the weekend to meet with her son, who also talked with Jim Tressel and linebacker coach Luke Fickell. He said he reached his decision Sunday afternoon.

"I think after talking my parents, our list of pros for coming back this year was a lot longer than the cons for coming back at the end of the day," Laurinaitis said. "Everybody's happy about it. It's a relief just to know."

Laurinaitis also spoke Sunday with Green Bay Packers linebacker A.J. Hawk, who served as a mentor when he was a Buckeye senior and Laurinaitis was a freshman. Hawk turned down a first-round projection as a junior to return for his senior year.

"I talked to A.J. and he said you can't take back that college experience," Laurinaitis said. "And I can do nothing but solidify my draft position with another year, and this was the right decision for me and he helped me with it.

Laurinaitis also listened to the Ohio State fans.

"I'm hoping they're happy," Laurinaitis said. "I hope Buckeye Nation knows I love them and they're a big reason I'm coming back, because of their love and support and how proud I am to represent them."

With the return of their Butkus Award-winning defensive captain, Ohio State will be the heavy favorite to repeat as Big Ten champions and must enter the 2008 season as a legitimate national title contender once again.

"I think we have an opportunity to do something special," Laurinaitis said. "You can't come back and want to do this or do that. We have to go through the same process we do every year. It's going to be hard for us this year. Last year we came in under the radar. Other people didn't have much confidence in us but we knew we had a solid team. Now every big game, everyone is going to start doubting us again and we have to be mentally tough and that starts with this offseason."

That task will be easier with Laurinaitis leading the charge.

BOSSHOGG30
01-14-2008, 06:55 PM
I thought the deadline passed like two hours ago...

Tuesday is the deadline.

BOSSHOGG30
01-14-2008, 07:00 PM
ESPN just reported that James Laurinaitis will return to school.... so that will hurt us a little at the 12th pick

BOSSHOGG30
01-14-2008, 07:02 PM
Oklahoma WR Malcolm Kelly has declared for the 2008 NFL Draft.

Kelly's junior numbers were down after a phenomenal sophomore year, as he focused on downfield routes and OU on a run-heavy attack. He scored nine TDs and averaged 16.8 YPC, but his explosion off the line and durability (he was hurt in the Sooners' last two bowl games) will be scrutinized this spring.

Broncospsycho77
01-14-2008, 07:05 PM
Both Felix Jones and Darren McFadden declared for the Draft, ESPN reported.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-14-2008, 07:05 PM
Good for Animal. OSU will be loaded again...unfortunately that's 1 less guy to get in the way of other teams taking Ellis and/or Phillips.

Broncospsycho77
01-14-2008, 07:06 PM
ESPN just reported that James Laurinaitis will return to school.... so that will hurt us a little at the 12th pick

That actually really pisses me off. Really had my heart set on picking the guy. IMO, Connor is a HUGE step down if we go LB in the first.

Guess it's Phillips for me...:mad:

SmilinAssasSin27
01-14-2008, 07:07 PM
Connor is not a HUGE step down. He'll impress. You will all see.

BOSSHOGG30
01-14-2008, 07:07 PM
Good for Animal. OSU will be loaded again...unfortunately that's 1 less guy to get in the way of other teams taking Ellis and/or Phillips.

Yeah I think we should trade back and get an OT if that is true. I really like Oher. He could be a great candidate to anchor the left side for many years with Cutler, plus he should improve our running game because he is a mauler.

Broncospsycho77
01-14-2008, 07:14 PM
Connor is not a HUGE step down. He'll impress. You will all see.

I hope I'm wrong. Laurinaitis will dominate when he enters, and we had the prime position to take him, unless he went earlier. More immediate satisfaction.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-14-2008, 07:58 PM
But it would have also raised the question of moving DJ or not. Connor can play outside now.

tubby
01-14-2008, 08:10 PM
I like that LB from Oklahoma #40. Forget his name.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-14-2008, 08:20 PM
Curtis Lofton

WARHORSE
01-14-2008, 08:20 PM

Not to mention the Patriots are a team we want to draft outside of our positions. They wont take a QB or a WR, but Im afraid their main needs are gonna be, LB, Safety and Corner, but if Samuels resigns, things might be different.

The best prospect for them right now is safety, unless one of the Dlinemen falls to them. If things ring true for them, they will probably try and trade the pick.

They like to accumulate picks in the following years drafts.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-14-2008, 08:22 PM
It'd be nice to have a FO that knows what it's doing...

tubby
01-14-2008, 08:28 PM
Curtis Lofton

Yes, that guy. He is a playmaker in the middle.

dogfish
01-14-2008, 08:30 PM

i'd say he made the right decision-- he's not going to be the high pick he was hoping, but there's no guarantee that he would be after next year, either. . . . even if their O doesn't lose anything with rich rodriguez moving on, he'd have to fight devine for playing time, and run the risk of getting hurt. . . it's true that he probably won't have as much competition next year in a weaker RB class, but if he doesn't have a good senior season he could still end up being a 3rd round pick, and have one less year of his prime to make money. . . it's a risk either way, but if he's a product of the O his stock may not get any better than what it is right now. . . may as well grab the money while he can-- there's nothing wrong with the contracts they give out later on the first day. . .

SmilinAssasSin27
He had like over 150 tackles. Big 12 POY. 6'0" 240

He'll be a nice hole plugger in the middle for the right defense.

dogfish
no maualuga, huh?

that sucks. . . .

SmilinAssasSin27
01-14-2008, 08:31 PM
i'd say he made the right decision-- he's not going to be the high pick he was hoping, but there's no guarantee that he would be after next year, either. . . . even if their O doesn't lose anything with rich rodriguez moving on, he'd have to fight devine for playing time, and run the risk of getting hurt. . . it's true that he probably won't have as much competition next year in a weaker RB class, but if he doesn't have a good senior season he could still end up being a 3rd round pick, and have one less year of his prime to make money. . . it's a risk either way, but if he's a product of the O his stock may not get any better than what it is right now. . . may as well grab the money while he can-- there's nothing wrong with the contracts they give out later on the first day. . .

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I see him slipping into the 5th. WAY too many legit RBs from real offensive schemes who would have gotten a chance to play if a Natl Title spot was on the line.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-14-2008, 08:35 PM
no maualuga, huh?

that sucks. . . .

I'm thinking not. Dude was a monster in the Rose Bowl. Wouldn't mind his attitude in Denver.

BOSSHOGG30
01-14-2008, 09:03 PM
Oklahoma LB Curtis Lofton has declared for the 2008 NFL Draft.

Lofton stepped up in his junior campaign, leading the Sooners with 157 stops, picking off three passes, and forcing four fumbles. He's played inside since high school, but could get a look on the weak side at the next level.

Skinny
01-14-2008, 09:17 PM
Oklahoma LB Curtis Lofton has declared for the 2008 NFL Draft.

Lofton stepped up in his junior campaign, leading the Sooners with 157 stops, picking off three passes, and forcing four fumbles. He's played inside since high school, but could get a look on the weak side at the next level.The Mock SAS posted had this kid going in the 3rd ...

Along with Bell, Wheeler, and Mayo ...

SmilinAssasSin27
01-14-2008, 09:23 PM
If he's playing outside, definitely worth a look. Would give us some size our LBs have been lacking.

BOSSHOGG30
01-14-2008, 09:30 PM
We better not come out of this draft without a stud Linebacker or runningback.. plenty to pick from. Not a bad wideout draft either. May not being any studs, but a lot of good two's and three's type guys.

G_Money
01-15-2008, 11:10 AM
Well with Laurinaitis and Maualuga not coming out, the LB corps gets worse at the top.

There's still a lot of depth, but anytime potentially the top 2 LBs at the Mike position stay in school, the draft suffers.

I'm impressed, though - I figured for sure at least one of them would jump at the big bucks, as both are 1st rounders.

It definitely changes the top 12 rankings, however.

There are 2nd round safeties and 2nd round LBs, but would we go outside in the 1st for a DJ-like Rivers?

Or just trade back, pick up another pick, and start piling up the draft choices? Shanny's screwed up having lots of choices before, but IMO the more choices the better.

~G

SmilinAssasSin27
01-15-2008, 11:12 AM
The Only Safety I'm sold in on day 1 is Phillips. There are some sleepers later on, but the top of the Safety list is crap after KP.

mclark
01-16-2008, 03:48 PM
It looks to me like Phillips or Connor or trade back for our #1 pick.

mclark
01-16-2008, 03:51 PM
Chung to skip final year of eligibility, enter draft

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: January 16, 2008, 1:24 PM ET

* Comment
* Email
* Print

University of Oregon safety Patrick Chung, a strong two-way defender who ranked among the team's top tacklers each of the past three years, will bypass his final season of eligibility to enter the 2008 NFL draft, he told ESPN.com on Wednesday morning.

Tuesday was the deadline for underclass prospects to petition for inclusion in the draft, and Chung has filed all of the pertinent paperwork with the NFL office. The league is expected to release a list of underclass prospects, with the group likely to be a large one, later this week.

"I did a lot of soul-searching," Chung said. "Actually, I did a lot of everything searching. But I'm ready to make the move and I think it's definitely the right decision for me."

A freshman All-American in 2005 and a two-time All-Pac 10 selection, Chung figures to rank among the top three or four safety prospects in a draft that does not appear particularly deep at the position.

Scouts are precluded by NFL guidelines from discussing underclass prospects, at least for attribution, until the league approves their applications and announces those who are officially draft-eligible. But three talent evaluators who were reached by ESPN.com on Wednesday and queried about Chung all said that, if he runs well at the combine or in "pro day" workouts, he probably should be chosen in the first three rounds.

Safeties are typically devalued a bit in the draft, although the position has taken on a higher profile in recent seasons, and Chung's versatility will certainly help him. As a "rover" defensive back in the Oregon scheme, he was asked to line up at linebacker, safety and cornerback. He projects best to strong safety at the NFL level.

"I think that's the best fit for me," said Chung, who said the NFL player he most attempts to emulate is Indianapolis Colts strong safety Bob Sanders, the league's defensive player of the year for 2007. "I like to play close to the line, but I feel like I can back off and cover people, too. I just like to be near the action."

Chung has good size (5-feet-10 ¾, 210 pounds) and is said to run in the 4.49- to 4.52-second range in the 40-yard dash.

In his three college seasons, he totaled 292 tackles, 16 tackles for losses, eight interceptions, 11 passes defensed, two sacks, two forced fumbles and two blocked kicks. Chung had a team-high 117 tackles in 2007 and also posted two interceptions and seven pass deflections.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

Skinny
01-18-2008, 06:25 PM
Reverse Play? Clemson's James Davis Wants to Return to Tigers

By Ed McGranahan
STAFF WRITER

Clemson (The Greenville News) - All-conference running back James Davis wants to return to Clemson University for his senior season.

Davis said Friday he contacted Clemson and notified the school he had second thoughts about leaving a year early for the NFL.

Underclassmen wishing to enter this year�s NFL Draft were to notify the league by Jan. 15, but Davis could remove his name under a 72-hour grace period which ends at midnight Friday.

According to a Clemson spokesman, Davis spoke with the school's compliance office. He must submit a request to return to Athletic Director Terry Don Phillips. Davis cannot have signed with an agent or accepted any remuneration.

At 2:45 p.m. Friday he was attempting to fax the letter to Clemson.

http://www.wltx.com/sports/story.aspx?storyid=57489

mclark
01-18-2008, 06:53 PM
Reverse Play? Clemson's James Davis Wants to Return to Tigers

By Ed McGranahan
STAFF WRITER

Clemson (The Greenville News) - All-conference running back James Davis wants to return to Clemson University for his senior season.

Davis said Friday he contacted Clemson and notified the school he had second thoughts about leaving a year early for the NFL.

Underclassmen wishing to enter this year�s NFL Draft were to notify the league by Jan. 15, but Davis could remove his name under a 72-hour grace period which ends at midnight Friday.

According to a Clemson spokesman, Davis spoke with the school's compliance office. He must submit a request to return to Athletic Director Terry Don Phillips. Davis cannot have signed with an agent or accepted any remuneration.

At 2:45 p.m. Friday he was attempting to fax the letter to Clemson.

http://www.wltx.com/sports/story.aspx?storyid=57489

This must be contagious.

Patrick Chung Changes His Mind
Thursday, January 17, 2008
After deciding earlier in the week to enter the draft, Oregon safety Patrick Chung reconsidered, and made it known on Thursday that he would in fact be returning to school.

This comes as great news for the Ducks who are ecstatic to have Chung back. He has been a starter for the past three seasons and having him in place for his fourth year will help to build the confidence of the Ducks defense.

Anytime your leading tackler returns, it’s a good thing and with the changes coming on the offensive side of the ball, this is just another piece of the puzzle already filled in that will allow Head Coach Mike Bellotti to work on the offensive side of the puzzle.

Despite the hype that in-conference rival USC is already receiving, Oregon could be in place to give the Trojans a run in the PAC 10 again this coming year. If everything falls into place with the new starting backfield, the defense returns most everyone, including sack-master Nick Reid, so a run for the PAC 10 crown is definitely within reach.

Labels: Oregon Ducks, Patrick Chung
posted by ntb60 @ 11:52 PM

SmilinAssasSin27
01-18-2008, 07:58 PM
dUNNO IF IT WAS POSTED...BUT oHER ALSO CHANGED HIS MIND AND IS NOW STAYING.

fcspikeit
01-19-2008, 04:20 AM
It looks to me like Phillips or Connor or trade back for our #1 pick.

A lot of the Mocks I have seen have Connor going later in the first. It might be a reach grabbing him at 12? I have seen him as far down as 30.

I'm not saying he will fall that far but we could try and grab him at 15 - 20 and pick up a 3rd. If he was who we were targeting.

I really don't see us drafting a LB in the first. IMO if Ellis and Philips are gone we will grab the top O-lineman on the board. We just have so many needs that it would be hard not to find an impact guy at 12. If everyone in front of us drafted O-line, DT, S and LB we might move back. But if there are even a couple CB's, QB's, RB's or WR's taken ahead of us we can address a position of need at 12 in this draft

SmilinAssasSin27
01-19-2008, 11:32 AM
We can't go wrong either way (unless Shanny puls a...well..Shanny). At face value, we have a great opportunity to land someone who could contribute now. I'm not gonna say we're in the SB next year if we get Phillips like some folks like to do, but there are a number of scenarios that can definitely put us in motion.

tubby
01-20-2008, 10:26 PM
How good is Phillips?

I don't think I watch a single Miami game this year. Probably because the sucked, which is totally cool with me. :D

SmilinAssasSin27
01-20-2008, 11:00 PM
He's along the lines of Ed Reed and Seaon taylor...2 other Safeties from the U.

tubby
01-20-2008, 11:23 PM
He's along the lines of Ed Reed and Seaon taylor...2 other Safeties from the U.

Cause he went to the same College? Come on, break it down for me dude.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-20-2008, 11:44 PM
OK...much like Ed Reed and Sen Taylor... he is a stud in coverage as well as a heavy hitter. He is great when freelancing in space OR can cover a WR or TE 1on1 due to his size, speed and athleticism. He is a sure tackler and an overall palymaker...much like taylor and Reed.

NOT cuz he went to the same college...which is not what I said.

BOSSHOGG30
01-21-2008, 10:54 AM
So much for stealing James Davis this year, but wise by him IMO.

NCAA | Davis returning to Clemson
Fri, 18 Jan 2008 14:38:49 -0800

ESPNews reports Clemson University RB James Davis will return to Clemson for his senior year and will not enter the 2008 NFL Draft.

CoachChaz
01-21-2008, 11:01 AM
Yep, he'll be a first rounder next year guaranteed.

NightTrainLayne
01-21-2008, 11:25 AM
What do all you draft gurus think about Curtis Lofton? He will surely not be a 1st or 2nd rounder I don't think because of his "measurables", but this guy has a nose for the football, and always seems to be in the middle of the play ala Zack Thomas. His numbers this year were outstanding for basically his first full year playing. I think he's making a mistake coming out early, but whoever he falls to will probably be getting a bargain.

He grew up in Kingfisher about 15 minutes from where I live.

CoachChaz
01-21-2008, 11:33 AM
What do all you draft gurus think about Curtis Lofton? He will surely not be a 1st or 2nd rounder I don't think because of his "measurables", but this guy has a nose for the football, and always seems to be in the middle of the play ala Zack Thomas. His numbers this year were outstanding for basically his first full year playing. I think he's making a mistake coming out early, but whoever he falls to will probably be getting a bargain.

He grew up in Kingfisher about 15 minutes from where I live.

If he had stayed, he might have been a 2nd or 3rd rounder next year, but his size and lack of speed are going to hurt him in this draft with the depth at LB.

NightTrainLayne
01-21-2008, 11:35 AM
If he had stayed, he might have been a 2nd or 3rd rounder next year, but his size and lack of speed are going to hurt him in this draft with the depth at LB.

Right, I agree. Where do you see him falling to? 4th-6th round? undrafted?

CoachChaz
01-21-2008, 11:37 AM
Right, I agree. Where do you see him falling to? 4th-6th round? undrafted?

definately second day, but it's hard to say exactly where. Just depends on the needs of the teams at the time.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-21-2008, 08:28 PM
I bet he's the top MLB taken...measureables aside, dude makes plays. No later than round 2.

tubby
01-22-2008, 11:34 AM
I bet he's the top MLB taken...measureables aside, dude makes plays. No later than round 2.

Agreed. I would be happy with him or Mayo in the 2nd.

MLB in the 2nd!! :salute:

CoachChaz
01-22-2008, 11:51 AM
We seriously want Lofton in the 2nd? I must be having a nightmare.

mclark
01-22-2008, 11:54 AM
A lot of the Mocks I have seen have Connor going later in the first. It might be a reach grabbing him at 12? I have seen him as far down as 30.

I'm not saying he will fall that far but we could try and grab him at 15 - 20 and pick up a 3rd. If he was who we were targeting.

I really don't see us drafting a LB in the first. IMO if Ellis and Philips are gone we will grab the top O-lineman on the board. We just have so many needs that it would be hard not to find an impact guy at 12. If everyone in front of us drafted O-line, DT, S and LB we might move back. But if there are even a couple CB's, QB's, RB's or WR's taken ahead of us we can address a position of need at 12 in this draft

A lot depends on what we do in free-agency. If we sign a quality left tackle, then we won't draft a tackle in the first round.

I agree, Connor probably won't be a good pick at 12. He seems to be falling. I still like Phillips there. If he's gone, then Clady (depending on what we do in free agency), or trading back to try to get a second Round Two or a Round Three pick would make sense.

If we could get Connor and an extra pick in the first, I'd be happy.

Joel
02-14-2008, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the info. I've been keeping my eye out to see what he and Earl Bennett do.

Wow, this Draft is stacked with LB's.
I hope so, because at the end of '06 I thought we needed LBs; at the start of '07 I thought we needed LBs; at the end of '07 I STILL think we need LBs. In fact, the only thing that's really changed in two years plus as far as my feeling on our needs is we need a solid LT to protect Cutlers blind side in addition to a couple NTs and a good Sam who can cover. And Lynch and Nalen are two years older....

Joel
02-14-2008, 09:31 AM
A lot depends on what we do in free-agency. If we sign a quality left tackle, then we won't draft a tackle in the first round.

I agree, Connor probably won't be a good pick at 12. He seems to be falling. I still like Phillips there. If he's gone, then Clady (depending on what we do in free agency), or trading back to try to get a second Round Two or a Round Three pick would make sense.

If we could get Connor and an extra pick in the first, I'd be happy.
I have the same issues with rookie LTs as I do with rookie RBs, and to a greater degree: It'll be two or three years before they adjust to the point they can do all the new things required of them in the Pros, and by then they might not even be on the team anymore. That, and as a Houston fan I watched my QB get pounded for years because Bud Adams wouldn't know a good tackle if it came up and bit him. Steve McNairs knees were shot before he left Tennessee, and Warren Moon got blindsided so many times he developed a reputation for being fumble prone; I don't really want to see Cutlers promising career abruptly terminated by his new LTs learning curve.

So free agency looks like the way to go in the short term, though I certainly have no objection to drafting a promising LT in a later round for when said free agent is gone. Problem is, there aren't a plethora of great LTs in the League, and the few who DO exist are recognized as such by both their agents and their teams. Not to mention the fact that when I looked around at the teams with good LTs what I learned is none of them are under 30; even if we find a good free agent AND Harris turns out to be Lepsis II it would be a good idea to draft a decent LT. But as far as starters for the near future I'd rather see us go with a free agent and draft NTs and LBs, in part because NT is one of the few places where you can draft a talented rookie, throw him onto the field and get immediate results.

I DO like the draft projection in your sig, though I would move LT down to the third pick for the reasons I stated, and if this draft really is that deep at LB (and depending on whom the first ten teams pick... ) I might even make a pick there before going for NTs (I'd really like us to draft two NTs because I think our need is that great, even if Marcus Thomas continues to improve). Dreamer that I am, I'd like to see us in the same situation we were when we had Wilson: A great MLB plus a raw young OLB who shows the ability to be a FUTURE great MLB. That's really the only thing that allowed us to get away with having a guy as light as Ian Gold playing Will; he could sell out on speed and provide good TE/back coverage because we had two other excellent LBs to blitz and run stop. What we lacked was depth, as I said back then, and Wilsons injury and retirement shone a spotlight on that.

MOtorboat
02-14-2008, 09:43 AM
I have the same issues with rookie LTs as I do with rookie RBs, and to a greater degree: It'll be two or three years before they adjust to the point they can do all the new things required of them in the Pros, and by then they might not even be on the team anymore. That, and as a Houston fan I watched my QB get pounded for years because Bud Adams wouldn't know a good tackle if it came up and bit him. Steve McNairs knees were shot before he left Tennessee, and Warren Moon got blindsided so many times he developed a reputation for being fumble prone; I don't really want to see Cutlers promising career abruptly terminated by his new LTs learning curve.

So free agency looks like the way to go in the short term, though I certainly have no objection to drafting a promising LT in a later round for when said free agent is gone. Problem is, there aren't a plethora of great LTs in the League, and the few who DO exist are recognized as such by both their agents and their teams. Not to mention the fact that when I looked around at the teams with good LTs what I learned is none of them are under 30; even if we find a good free agent AND Harris turns out to be Lepsis II it would be a good idea to draft a decent LT. But as far as starters for the near future I'd rather see us go with a free agent and draft NTs and LBs, in part because NT is one of the few places where you can draft a talented rookie, throw him onto the field and get immediate results.

I'd have to disagree. Especially on tackles.

Tackles and running backs drafted in the first round
Joe Thomas - Started Immediately
Levi Brown - Started Immediately
Adrian Peterson - Rookie of the Year, Pro Bowl MVP, stud
Marshawn Lynch - Started Immediately
D'Brickshaw Ferguson - Started Immediately
Reggie Bush - Contributed Immediately
Laurence Maroney - Contributed Immediately, started in year 2
Joseph Addai - Started Immediately
DeAngelo Williams - Started Immediately
Jamaal Brown - Started Immediately
Alex Barron - Started in Week 4
Ronnie Brown - Started Immediately
Cedric Benson - Maybe the only bust on the list, though he is starting
Cadillac Williams - Started Immediately

I think the record actually speaks for itself. Running back and tackle are two of the more sure-bets you can draft in the first round.

mclark
03-16-2008, 09:01 PM
If we draft Clady or Chris Williams at #12, I'd expect them to start. If we do draft them first, we are saying we don't think Harris is the answer. And either Clady or Williams would be just about as exprienced as Harris is anyway.

TXBRONC
03-16-2008, 09:04 PM
If we draft Clady or Chris Williams at #12, I'd expect them to start. If we do draft them first, we are saying we don't think Harris is the answer. And either Clady or Williams would be just about as exprienced as Harris is anyway.

Other than running back or full back I don't think we would see a rookie start on offense.