PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Earl Bennett?

Retired_Member_001
01-13-2008, 02:51 PM
I think he would be a great pickup for us.

We could bring the Jay and Earl show to Denver. If we were to draft Earl Bennett we could get rid of Javon.

It's just a suggestion, I know we have bigger needs elsewhere.

claymore
01-13-2008, 02:54 PM
Jay and Earl show
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-2yd_EPqB8

turftoad
01-13-2008, 03:16 PM
Looks good. As you said, we have bigger needs but if he's a guy Cutlers trusts and we can get him mid way through the draft, why not.

Bronco9798
01-13-2008, 03:23 PM
Who the heck is Earl Bennet. LOL...doesn't sound like a football name. Sounds like some farmer here in Missouri.

Retired_Member_001
01-13-2008, 03:37 PM
Who the heck is Earl Bennet. LOL...doesn't sound like a football name. Sounds like some farmer here in Missouri.

Earl Bennett is a wider receiver for Vanderbilt.

He used to play with Jay.

Skinny
01-13-2008, 03:41 PM
Arguably the most polished WR in the Draft.

There does'nt look to be alot of WRs being picked in the 1st round as in years past and possibly only 5 leading up to our 2nd round pick.

If Earl is still on the board at #42... I would love that pick ...

TXBRONC
01-13-2008, 05:20 PM
Four things to keep in mind.

1.) Jay hasn't worked with this guy in two years so we don't know what kind of chemistry they have if any.

2.) This goes with the first point, alright they had a nice chemistry in college but that doesn't mean this guy is pro caliber receiver. So what this boil down too is sending off a guy we know belongs in the pros a receiver for a guy that we have no idea if he's even a legitimate pro prospect.

3.) Assuming he is legitimate starting receiver it's very doubtful he could be of much use as starting receiver. It takes about three years to develop a wide receiver because pro offenses are almost complex for the receiver as they are for the quarterback. That being said, at best he would be a 3rd receiver so what do we do with Stokley? Yes he can start but his greatest strength is playing in the slot. Which means we end up with a inexperienced slot receiver and guy is better suited to play the slot playing on the outside. To me that doesn't make much sense.

4.) This point goes with the third point. Most wide receivers coming out of college don't know how to block and in Shanahan's offense that's a must if he's going to get onto the field with any regularity.

Skinny
01-13-2008, 06:31 PM
3.) Assuming he is legitimate starting receiver it's very doubtful he could be of much use as starting receiver. It takes about three years to develop a wide receiver because pro offenses are almost complex for the receiver as they are for the quarterback. That being said, at best he would be a 3rd receiver so what do we do with Stokley? Yes he can start but his greatest strength is playing in the slot. Which means we end up with a inexperienced slot receiver and guy is better suited to play the slot playing on the outside. To me that doesn't make much sense.Don't do anything with Stokes TX. Or BMarsh or Javon either ... Work him in. Just like we did with BMarsh his Rookie season.

If that's the line up ... BMarsh, a healthy Javon and Stokes ... then we're set.

But having a guy like Earl on the sidelines adds some depth they we desperatley need and some quality depth too ... we don't have any. And looking at FA ... Earl Bennett would be worth the second round pick IMO.

:2cents:

BOSSHOGG30
01-13-2008, 06:48 PM
Good route runner and that is about it. Decent hands, average after the catch, average blocker, average size... The kid is nothing special.

MOtorboat
01-13-2008, 07:04 PM
Good route runner and that is about it. Decent hands, average after the catch, average blocker, average size... The kid is nothing special.

Take a flier on the kid, imo, in the late rounds if he's still available, just for the fact that he and Cutler are former teammates. Gives Cutler a little security, especially since he's not likely to be joined by many former Vandy teammates ever.

turftoad
01-13-2008, 07:15 PM
Earl Bennett, Vanderbilt
Height: 6-0. Weight: 200.
40 Time: 4.46.
Projected Round: 2.
Earl Bennett has declared for the 2008 NFL Draft.

Bennett's numbers slipped a bit in 2007, but you can attribute that to horrendous quarterback play. He had 75 catches, 830 yards and five scores.

Bennett managed 82 receptions and 1,146 yards in 2006. Caught 79 passes a year ago as a freshman.

Skinny
01-13-2008, 08:00 PM
Earl Bennett 2006 Vanderbilt Football Highlight Reel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDRIjZlJsAA

TXBRONC
01-13-2008, 09:24 PM
Don't do anything with Stokes TX. Or BMarsh or Javon either ... Work him in. Just like we did with BMarsh his Rookie season.

If that's the line up ... BMarsh, a healthy Javon and Stokes ... then we're set.

But having a guy like Earl on the sidelines adds some depth they we desperatley need and some quality depth too ... we don't have any. And looking at FA ... Earl Bennett would be worth the second round pick IMO.

:2cents:

I don't mean to come across as negatively about this kind I can say I seen that much of him. My initial post was a response to Wookiee suggestion of getting rid of Javon if got this kid. Wookiee my man I just don't think that would be good idea.

Hey I hear ya. If we draft him you wont hear complaining. I may have doubts about a pick but the way I figure it, it's better to pull for them to suceed than to upset that they are with Denver.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-13-2008, 11:38 PM

Decent hands? Must be why he has the career SEC record for catches in just three seasons.

Great round runner, great hands, good blocker, solid after the catch. Yes, average size.

He's a very, very good prospect.

Not sure what you're basing your opinions off of, but they're pretty far off.

MOtorboat
01-13-2008, 11:42 PM
Decent hands? Must be why he has the career SEC record for catches in just three seasons.

Great round runner, great hands, good blocker, solid after the catch. Yes, average size.

He's a very, very good prospect.

Not sure what you're basing your opinions off of, but they're pretty far off.

Wow, you are incredibly condescending, please give us your first-hand analysis of Bennett. No, not the stats thing...the actual analysis.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-13-2008, 11:52 PM
I just gave you what I thought about him based on when I've seen him play. I've been talking about him since last year - and first got interested by him when he had such a monster freshman campaign, so when it comes to Earl, I'm pretty confident in my analysis on him. You don't have "decent hands" when you catch everything thrown your way and become the SEC all-time leading receiver after three years (he broke it a little more than halfway through the year). Bennett's an extremely polished prospect, and a damn good receiver.

I don't see his size as an issue, but I see his lack of top end speed being a problem. He might have some separation problems in the NFL, but he's a pretty physical guy. You have to be physical to succeed in the SEC. With what he lacks in size and speed, he makes up for with instincts and game smarts. He always gets into good position, and despite how poor Vanderbilt was this season, he did a good job.

He's a reliable guy, and was the Commodores top target.

He'd be a great selection for this team.

MOtorboat
01-13-2008, 11:56 PM
I just gave you what I thought about him based on when I've seen him play. I've been talking about him since last year - and first got interested by him when he had such a monster freshman campaign, so when it comes to Earl, I'm pretty confident in my analysis on him. You don't have "decent hands" when you catch everything thrown your way and become the SEC all-time leading receiver after three years (he broke it a little more than halfway through the year). Bennett's an extremely polished prospect, and a damn good receiver.

I don't see his size as an issue, but I see his lack of top end speed being a problem. He might have some separation problems in the NFL, but he's a pretty physical guy. You have to be physical to succeed in the SEC. With what he lacks in size and speed, he makes up for with instincts and game smarts. He always gets into good position, and despite how poor Vanderbilt was this season, he did a good job.

He's a reliable guy, and was the Commodores top target.

He'd be a great selection for this team.

The Commodores haven't won much and don't have a lot of talent. Of course he was the top receiver. He's nothing but a late-round selection. There is some potential upside, but not much. His speed is an absolute issue in the NFL and being that he's not fast, his skills as a possession receiver absolutely come into question.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-13-2008, 11:57 PM
Oh, and again regarding size 6'1 - 205 pounds. That's a solid build. I'd be worried about size if he was 5'10 - 180 pounds.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-13-2008, 11:59 PM
The Commodores haven't won much and don't have a lot of talent. Of course he was the top receiver. He's nothing but a late-round selection. There is some potential upside, but not much. His speed is an absolute issue in the NFL and being that he's not fast, his skills as a possession receiver absolutely come into question.

Considering almost every major scouting service, (and I mean about every) have him as a guy who is worthy of a second or third round selection, I'm going to have to disagree with your top notch analysis that he's no more than a late-round selection. Then again, it'd take watching the games and actually evaluating the players to give them a grade and put thoughts on their pro potential. When people call Bennett a late-round guy with not much upside, they obviously haven't done either.

The talent around him has nothing to do with him as a player; the only respect his team would matter is how well he did considering the circumstances; and in a conference that is primarily run first and he still put up the numbers he did.

You don't make All-SEC first team and hold records by sucking.

More food for thought:

01/10/08 - Vanderbilt junior wide receiver Earl Bennett announced today he will bypass his senior season and make himself eligible for the 2008 NFL Draft. With 236 receptions, Bennett is the all-time leading receiver in Southeastern Conference history. Bennett, a native of Birmingham, Ala., caught 75 passes for 830 yards and five touchdowns in 2007. He’s the only receiver in SEC history to catch at least 75 passes in three different seasons. Bennett also ranks ninth all-time in the SEC with 2,852 receiving yards and has 20 career touchdown catches. - Brett Hait, Nashville City Paper

Crap players don't put up poor numbers, so there goes your argument. (If there ever was one.)

MOtorboat
01-14-2008, 12:01 AM
Considering almost every major scouting service, (and I mean about every) have him as a guy who is worthy of a second or third round selection, I'm going to have to disagree with your top notch analysis that he's no more than a late-round selection.

Then again, it'd take watching the games and actually evaluating the players to give them a grade and put thoughts on their pro potential. When people call Bennett a late-round guy with not much upside, they obviously haven't done either.

Never once did I say top notch, but I will say Boss' analysis is better than yours. There is no need to be such an ass.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-14-2008, 12:04 AM
Never once did I say top notch, but I will say Boss' analysis is better than yours. There is no need to be such an ass.

Well, his analysis isn't even close to being right. If it was, why would be regarded as a second-round talent in one of the deepest WR classes since the class in 2004 (I believe Mark Clayton, Lee Evans, etc.) if he was just "average"? Seriously. Answer that. Why does Scouts Inc., NFL Draft Scout, etc. all have him pegged as a second round talent if he is a late-round talent and marginal player like you two claim? If you saw him play, you wouldn't make such statements.

MOtorboat
01-14-2008, 12:08 AM
Well, his analysis isn't even close to being right. If it was, why would be regarded as a second-round talent in one of the deepest WR classes since the class in 2004 (I believe Mark Clayton, Lee Evans, etc.) if he was just "average"? Seriously. Answer that. Why does Scouts Inc., NFL Draft Scout, etc. all have him pegged as a second round talent if he is a late-round talent and marginal player like you two claim? If you saw him play, you wouldn't make such statements.

You're right.

I'm an idiot. He's a star. Dream, you're God.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-14-2008, 12:09 AM
There is some potential upside, but not much. His speed is an absolute issue in the NFL and being that he's not fast, his skills as a possession receiver absolutely come into question.

His lack of top end speed doesn't question his ability to become a possession receiver; that reinforces his role as one; along with his great ands and great route running ability. He's not going to be a deep threat in the NFL; but that's not what he did at Vanderbilt either. People seemed to think the same thing of Anquan Boldin, and we all know how that worked out.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-14-2008, 12:11 AM
You're right.

I'm an idiot. He's a star. Dream, you're God.

I never said he was a star. I said he was a legitimate talent worth the grade he's getting; which is a second to third rounder by most services. This is based on me seeing him play and coming up with my own opinion on it. It just so happens "experts" (which I'm not) seem to go along with that line of thinking as well. Instead of playing, "Oh well - I'm friends with Boss, so I'll agree with him!" - why don't you actually watch the games and see for yourself.

You've yet to answer why almost ever major scouting service lists him as a top three round talent; but you consider him a late-rounder.

I mean, what are you seeing that those guys aren't!?

Requiem / The Dagda
01-14-2008, 12:15 AM
Last but not least, the only way he doesn't go in the top 100 selections of this draft is because of the SUPERB amount of talent available not only at wide receiver, but elsewhere.

There are about a dozen wide receivers (if not more) worthy of top three round consideration [just looking at other sites as well, but I believe it too] - and that's unheard of. Throw that in along with this running back class, defensive end class and offensive tackle class and you have a recipe for a power class we haven't seen in a while.

Skinny
01-14-2008, 06:19 AM
Great route runner, Great hands, good after the catch, good blocker with a 6'1 frame and 205 solid pounds on it.

In his 3 years in College not 1 SEC or any other Conference's CB could cover Bennett one on one ... the reason he holds most of the records ... as a Junior.

He's not Marcus Nash in the waiting if that's what some of ya are worried about. ALOT more polished ...

Skinny
01-14-2008, 06:22 AM
I don't mean to come across as negatively about this kind I can say I seen that much of him. My initial post was a response to Wookiee suggestion of getting rid of Javon if got this kid. Wookiee my man I just don't think that would be good idea.

Hey I hear ya. If we draft him you wont hear complaining. I may have doubts about a pick but the way I figure it, it's better to pull for them to suceed than to upset that they are with Denver.S'all good TX :beer:

claymore
01-14-2008, 08:20 AM
Rod Smith Made a career with running good routes and catching everything thrown his way. Rod isnt a burner and is 6-0 205. If this guy has half the character as Rod, then get him. Dont mortgage the farm, but if he is there in 4b, 5, and 7 I say take him. Plus, he already knows Jay.

CoachChaz
01-14-2008, 09:14 AM
I wouldn't mind giving him a shot, but only as a day 2 pick and ONLY if he is a Christian.

claymore
01-14-2008, 09:17 AM
I wouldn't mind giving him a shot, but only as a day 2 pick and ONLY if he is a Christian.

Im glad you came around Coach, I have been praying for you. :pray:

CoachChaz
01-14-2008, 09:18 AM
God has spoken to me through PM's.

Retired_Member_001
01-14-2008, 09:27 AM

Hey I hear ya. If we draft him you wont hear complaining. I may have doubts about a pick but the way I figure it, it's better to pull for them to suceed than to upset that they are with Denver.

Hey man it was just a suggestion as I mentioned earlier.

I think he's a good prospect and I have been impressed with his play. I'm not saying we should draft him as the future star of this offense, what I am saying is he looks like he could turn out into a pretty good WR. A WR good enough to be taken in the second round.

As I said it was just a suggestion. If we fixed other needs in FA/Trade or in the Draft, we could draft him in the second round.

BOSSHOGG30
01-14-2008, 06:54 PM
Bennett had 5 Touchdown catches…..3 came against Richmond.

Against good defenses Bennett was shut down. You think he is NFL ready?

Alabama held him to 4 catches for 52 yards.
Auburn held him to 4 catches for 31 yards
Georgia held him to 3 catches for 31 yards
South Carolina held him to 2 catches for 24 yards
Florida held him to 5 catches for 31 yards
Tennessee held him to 2 catches for 26 yards.

His numbers went down sharply from 2006 to 2007… aren’t players suppose to get better when they stay another year?

Quote from his coach:
http://vanderbilt.scout.com/2/466550.html

"Earl Bennett is a football player-- I don't know what else to say about it," said Johnson. "Sometimes they say he drops some passes, but Earl returns punts, returns kicks, covers kicks.

Skinny
01-14-2008, 07:47 PM
Bennett had 5 Touchdown catches…..3 came against Richmond.

Against good defenses Bennett was shut down. You think he is NFL ready?

Alabama held him to 4 catches for 52 yards.
Auburn held him to 4 catches for 31 yards
Georgia held him to 3 catches for 31 yards
South Carolina held him to 2 catches for 24 yards
Florida held him to 5 catches for 31 yards
Tennessee held him to 2 catches for 26 yards. Bennetts numbers speak for themselves ... as well as the competition he played against.

He's not superman, just a helluva football player.

His numbers went down sharply from 2006 to 2007… aren’t players suppose to get better when they stay another year?Like Desean Jacksons and Early Doucets?? Among other projected 1st day picks ...

I'm not trying to be a smart*** here, just trying to make my point ... :D

BOSSHOGG30
01-14-2008, 08:40 PM
Bennetts numbers speak for themselves ... as well as the competition he played against.

He's not superman, just a helluva football player.

Like Desean Jacksons and Early Doucets?? Among other projected 1st day picks ...

I'm not trying to be a smart*** here, just trying to make my point ... :D

I understand what you’re saying... I think Bennett is ok, but I just don't see why everyone thinks he is so special... that's all... I'd like to see him do something against good competition.. I didn't see him do anything great against any of the good teams he played this year. I'd like to see some better numbers if the guy is worthy of a 1st day pick. I do understand his QB play wasn't very good this year and that hurts his numbers, but I also saw a few games where he dropped some easy passes. I think he dropped 3 in the Georgia game.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-14-2008, 08:57 PM
I'd prefer either of the Michigan WRs.

BOSSHOGG30
01-14-2008, 08:58 PM
For the record... DeSean Jackson sucks JMO

SmilinAssasSin27
01-14-2008, 09:00 PM
Agreed...he can return kicks, but that's about it.

TXBRONC
01-14-2008, 09:34 PM
Hey man it was just a suggestion as I mentioned earlier.

I think he's a good prospect and I have been impressed with his play. I'm not saying we should draft him as the future star of this offense, what I am saying is he looks like he could turn out into a pretty good WR. A WR good enough to be taken in the second round.

As I said it was just a suggestion. If we fixed other needs in FA/Trade or in the Draft, we could draft him in the second round.

Wookiee I understand you're making a suggestion. I'm sorry if I came off to strong. I just wanted to point out a few things for the discussion.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-14-2008, 09:37 PM
Wookiee I understand you're making a suggestion. I'm sorry if I came off to strong. I just wanted to point out a few things for the discussion.

Well knock it off.