PDA

View Full Version : The CBA negotiations rumors thread

dogfish
11-14-2009, 07:18 PM
Rumors fly of possible NFLPA concessions
Posted by Mike Florio on November 14, 2009 4:40 PM ET

Though the NFL and the union have agreed not to talk publicly about their ongoing Collective Bargaining Agreement negotiations, word of some of the details have been leaking out via private avenues.

Per a league source, there's talk that the NFLPA is willing to agree to the expansion of the regular season to 18 games.

(We've long believed that talk from the league of an 18-game regular season was aimed at securing the addition of one game, moving the total number of games to 17.)

The source also says that, as an inducement to getting a deal done before the start of the uncapped year, the union is willing to adhere to the free-agency eligibility rules that will apply in 2010 absent a new labor deal. Specifically, players whose contracts expire after the season would be required to have six years of service in order to be eligible for unrestricted free agency.

Though the players who will be restricted free agents under that scenario might not be too pleased, the reality is that they'll be restricted free agents if no deal is done at all.

http://football.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=football&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.profootballtalk.com%2Frumormil l.htm

that concession regarding restricted free agency would be a godsend for us if things went down that way!

Poet
11-14-2009, 07:50 PM
Dogfish, give me a more in-depth breakdown please (in other words, gimma yo opinionz son). :salute:

sneakers
11-14-2009, 08:13 PM
I heard that everyone on the Dolphins is going to play for fish.

Poet
11-14-2009, 08:14 PM
I heard that everyone on the Dolphins is going to play for fish.

:tsk::tsk::tsk::tsk:

sneakers
11-14-2009, 08:41 PM
:tsk::tsk::tsk::tsk:

Fine. Except for Ricky Williams, he will play for something else.

ydave77
11-14-2009, 09:07 PM
Rumors fly of possible NFLPA concessions
Posted by Mike Florio on November 14, 2009 4:40 PM ET

Though the NFL and the union have agreed not to talk publicly about their ongoing Collective Bargaining Agreement negotiations, word of some of the details have been leaking out via private avenues.

Per a league source, there's talk that the NFLPA is willing to agree to the expansion of the regular season to 18 games.

(We've long believed that talk from the league of an 18-game regular season was aimed at securing the addition of one game, moving the total number of games to 17.)

The source also says that, as an inducement to getting a deal done before the start of the uncapped year, the union is willing to adhere to the free-agency eligibility rules that will apply in 2010 absent a new labor deal. Specifically, players whose contracts expire after the season would be required to have six years of service in order to be eligible for unrestricted free agency.

Though the players who will be restricted free agents under that scenario might not be too pleased, the reality is that they'll be restricted free agents if no deal is done at all.

http://football.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=football&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.profootballtalk.com%2Frumormil l.htm

that concession regarding restricted free agency would be a godsend for us if things went down that way!

Honestly I am worried about being able to resign all of FA's too. Kupe, Mars, Doom, Orton, and Im sure there are other FAs I am forgetting. This woudl be great for us. I hope they new CBA keeps a cap, but has a more reasonable cap. At this pt the cap is for many teams ceremonial in that I think over half the teams are under the cap by several million. Its no longer about being able to afford guys to fit under the cap, so much as owners being able to afford to guys due to cash flow, etc. We need a cap again, where most teams are close to the cap, otherwise it really only affects a few teams. So its not about who can spend the most, but more who spends the smartest.

jhildebrand
11-15-2009, 12:05 AM
If that were the case, then wouldn't that technically make Brandon Marshall a UFA?

dogfish
10-13-2010, 11:03 AM
don't slit your wrists just yet. . .

Kevin Mawae, Robert Kraft agree: CBA can get done this year
Posted by Michael David Smith on October 13, 2010 11:54 AM ET

Although many NFL observers expect a work stoppage in 2011, one of the most important people on the union side and one of the most important people on the management side say there's no reason a new Collective-Bargaining Agreement can't be reached in 2010.

NFL Players Association President Kevin Mawae also expressed optimism in an e-mail to the Associated Press.

"We should recognize the business we are both in and for our fans and workers, let's wrap this up by the holidays," Mawae said.

Saying a deal can get done this year and actually getting a deal done this year are two very different things. But optimistic statements from the likes of Kraft and Mawae have to be considered positive news.

Patriots owner Robert Kraft said yesterday he thinks the deal can get done this year, too.

jhildebrand
10-13-2010, 11:44 AM
Funny. I was thinking about Mawae and our running woes and how he is just sitting out there unsigned because he is the NFLPA Pres. SAD!

I didn't want to bring it up because I have been harping on bringing in young guys and baptising by fire. But at this point, I think Walton could learn from Mawae.

The Glue Factory
10-13-2010, 11:48 AM
Those kind of statements beats what we've been hearing until now. It shows that there's been progress in moving in the right direction rather than the parties continuing to separate on issues. Negotiations are never easy unless you're Japan dealing with the US in the 80's.

Bosco
10-13-2010, 05:16 PM
Funny. I was thinking about Mawae and our running woes and how he is just sitting out there unsigned because he is the NFLPA Pres. SAD!

I didn't want to bring it up because I have been harping on bringing in young guys and baptising by fire. But at this point, I think Walton could learn from Mawae.

Mawae has officially retired if I'm not mistaken.

jhildebrand
10-13-2010, 09:37 PM
Mawae has officially retired if I'm not mistaken.

I didn't find anything saying he officially retired. I did find plenty that he wanted to continue playing and downplaying his position with the NFLPA as the reason he isn't with a team.

sneakers
10-13-2010, 11:26 PM
I still think everyone on the dolphins should play for fish.

dogfish
10-14-2010, 01:11 PM
Senators tell NFL, union to clean up their own mess
Posted by Mike Florio on October 14, 2010 1:39 PM ET

For months, the NFL Players Association has been laying the foundation for a political assault on the NFL in the event that the current labor issues result in a work stoppage.

And the politicians are already getting sick of it.

According to CNBC, via SportsBusiness Daily, two Senators have sent letters to the two sides urging that they resolve the situation quickly. The letters come from a pair of Republicans, Lindsey Graham of South Carolina and George LeMieux of Florida.

Graham points out that "[b]oth your organizations have been canvassing Capitol Hill seeking support for your position should there be a labor dispute next spring." Graham also writes, "I encourage you in the strongest possible terms to settle your dispute without congressional involvement."

It's hard to tell whether the development favors one side or the other. The fact that the letters urge a new deal by the end of the year meshes with the NFLPA's overall agenda. The fact that the letters come from Republicans could be regarded as an indication that, if the union doesn't quit trying to finagle political leverage against the NFL, the players' interests would suffer in an legislatively-imposed solution.

Either way, it's another reason for the two sides to spend some time between Thanksgiving and Christmas conjuring a little mutual goodwill. We'll supply the eggnog.

Softskull
10-14-2010, 01:22 PM
I still think everyone on the dolphins should play for fish.

I think the Bears are playing for pikinic baskets.

underrated29
10-14-2010, 01:51 PM
I think the Bears are playing for pikinic baskets.

The bengals are playing for parole.