TXBRONC
11-14-2009, 08:28 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13776068

Briefs: Defense aims to make QB a pocket passer
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 11/13/2009 01:00:00 AM MST
Updated: 11/13/2009 02:49:10 AM MST

Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell is fourth among the league's quarterbacks in rushing yards this season — with 143 — and has a strong enough arm to throw well on the run.

"He's dangerous in terms of keeping him in the pocket," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said.

And Broncos defensive coordinator Mike Nolan said Thursday that at least some of the Broncos' struggles against the Steelers' offense in the second half this past Monday night was that the Broncos let Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger move out of the pocket to avoid the rush.

"Last week we didn't allow Ben out of the pocket in the first half and we played much better," Nolan said. "We shifted gears in the second half, we weren't as detail-oriented and he got out of the pocket a couple times, and one of those he threw a touchdown on us.

"If we had kept him in the pocket it wouldn't have looked much different than it did in the first half."

Roethlisberger threw for 49 yards in the first half compared to 184 yards and three touchdowns after halftime.

Take a pick.

With Clinton Portis not playing Sunday because of a concussion, Ladell Betts is expected to start in the Redskins' backfield despite an ankle injury. Betts was held out of practice Wednesday and Thursday.

Behind Betts, who has only 26 carries this season, or three fewer than Campbell, are Rock Cartwright (eight carries) and Quinton Ganther, who was signed this week.

Asked what he expected to see in the Redskins' offense this week, Nolan said: "That's a great question. We're going to wait and see. From a preparation standpoint, we have to prepare as though the best players are playing and at the same time, if a backup goes in, we have to know what his capabilities are. As we've all experienced over the years, sometimes there's a good player just waiting for his chance, and you definitely don't want that to be the case."

Footnotes.

Tackle Ryan Harris (toe) and safety Josh Barrett (hamstring) were the only Broncos held out of Thursday's practice. Wide receiver Brandon Marshall, who missed Wednesday's practice with soreness in his back, returned to practice Thursday.

Jeff Legwold, The Denver Post

Ravage!!!
11-14-2009, 11:13 AM
well.. I don't know if things would have looked that different LAST week or not. But I don't see the Redskins being able to do much on offense against us. I think our defense, again, will dominate this team's offense. By the end of the game, their OL will be worn out from having to protect their QB from our onslaught of pass rush (because they will be needing to throw a lot)...and we'll get multiple sacks in the 4th quarter.

I just don't think there is much to the Redskin offense that concerns me. Not only is this team bad, but their entire organization is in turmoil with the coaches and/GM and whatnot. The players don't even know who they are playing for anymore.

TXBRONC
11-14-2009, 02:59 PM
well.. I don't know if things would have looked that different LAST week or not. But I don't see the Redskins being able to do much on offense against us. I think our defense, again, will dominate this team's offense. By the end of the game, their OL will be worn out from having to protect their QB from our onslaught of pass rush (because they will be needing to throw a lot)...and we'll get multiple sacks in the 4th quarter.

I just don't think there is much to the Redskin offense that concerns me. Not only is this team bad, but their entire organization is in turmoil with the coaches and/GM and whatnot. The players don't even know who they are playing for anymore.

I like the match up of our defense against their offense. I'm just considered about out offense getting on track.

Ravage!!!
11-14-2009, 03:20 PM
I like the match up of our defense against their offense. I'm just considered about out offense getting on track.

I hear you there. However... I don't know if this is a team to really judge anything by. I mean, if we look good against them, does that tell us anything other than we looked good against one of the worst teams in the NFL? Now granted, thats better than looking BAD against one of the worst teams in the NFL.

I mean.. even when I was picking us to only win 6 games this year, Washington was one of the wins. That doesn't mean much other than "they were expected to be bad, and they've reached those expectations."

Iron Horse72
11-14-2009, 04:20 PM
I'm a little worried about this game they have a good D line.

They want to shut down our run game and force Orton to throw, hopefully we take some chances down field.

But a good run game will give us a better chance at play action and throw the ball more than 12 yards down field.