PDA

View Full Version : Deep ball/Situational Play

ydave77
11-13-2009, 11:09 PM
Like many here, I just want to see some downfield plays. I think when you got a guy like Mars, you got someone who can make a play on a poorly thrown ball (if that happens to be the case), no matter the situation. Honestly I see QBs all the time throw that pass, often its an underthrown ball and they ask the receiver to stop and outjump, out muscle the DB. If thats not Mars I dont know what is.

And then...I was wondering about a specific scenario as well....

I've noticed this year, on third and longs, like alot of coaches, we are pretty conservative. Either a draw, a screen, a short pass whatever.

What I dont understand is, why not send a speedy tall guy like McKinley, and maybe Mars on the other side, on a fly route. Throw a jump ball 35-40 yrds downfield, and you may get lucky. Either catch the ball, get a PI call, it goes incomplete in which case youre the same as running the draw/short route, or it gets picked, and a 40 yrd bomb is about 2x as good as a Berger punt anyways. If youre WR knows the INT is a distinct possibility, and he is ready to make a tackle, youre in fine shape.

topscribe
11-13-2009, 11:20 PM
Who's Mars? :confused:

-----

topscribe
11-13-2009, 11:20 PM
Who's Mars? :confused:

-----

Oh . . .

-----

nevcraw
11-13-2009, 11:22 PM
this is why most people are not in the NFL as coach, personell people or players..

ydave77
11-14-2009, 09:20 AM
this is why most people are not in the NFL as coach, personell people or players..

Thanks!!!

broncofaninfla
11-14-2009, 10:41 AM

So what would be your fix for our very inept offense? What do you think the issues are and how do you feel they should be fixed? This is a Broncos forum, it's ok for us to debate these issues.

MOtorboat
11-14-2009, 10:42 AM
So what would be your fix for our very inept offense? What do you think the issues are and how do you feel they should be fixed? This is a Broncos forum, it's ok for us to debate these issues.

Better pass protection.

horsepig
11-14-2009, 11:26 AM
A new running play.

hamrob
11-14-2009, 12:00 PM
I think that's it in a nutshell. You have to have a QB who can push the ball downfield. If a defense doesn't respect the QB's ability to beat them deep, then they will stack the line, take away the run and rush the passer.

What's wrong with our offense? Defenses are stacking the line, taking away the run and rushing the passer.

Unless Orton can beat them down the field when his WR's are one on one, then this season is over....regardless of our record.

And for the record, the BS that the Steelers were playing their safeties 30yds down the field is the stupidest comment I've heard a head coach make in a long time. It's amazing that this fan base is falling for that crap. The real story is, Orton cannot make the throws to beat one on one coverage. He's weak and the entire NFL knows that. McDaniels can try to mask it all he wants....it aint working! Orton Sucks...thus our Offense Sucks!

Ravage!!!
11-14-2009, 12:47 PM
you forgot the possibilty of the INT if you simply throw it up 40 yrds downfield

Its harder to pass protect when teams aren't worried about blitzing you. They feel comfortable about blitzing because they know Orton will dump to the short man anyway. The ability to blitz is taking away our running game. The pass sets up the run game. Our short pass, short pass, dump off.. short pass.. dump... screen.... is bringing everyone forward. I believe defenses are beginning to say "keep hitting those short dumps..we'll tackle you early... and know that your offense will stall. It only takes an incompletion and our offense is a bit stumped (right now).

Orton hasn't been attacking that 1-on-1 coverage taht you get when a team blitzes. That might change.

ydave77
11-14-2009, 04:13 PM
you forgot the possibilty of the INT if you simply throw it up 40 yrds downfield

Its harder to pass protect when teams aren't worried about blitzing you. They feel comfortable about blitzing because they know Orton will dump to the short man anyway. The ability to blitz is taking away our running game. The pass sets up the run game. Our short pass, short pass, dump off.. short pass.. dump... screen.... is bringing everyone forward. I believe defenses are beginning to say "keep hitting those short dumps..we'll tackle you early... and know that your offense will stall. It only takes an incompletion and our offense is a bit stumped (right now).

Orton hasn't been attacking that 1-on-1 coverage taht you get when a team blitzes. That might change.

My last sentence in the OP, was about the definite possibility of an INT. Then again, if you cantackle the guy, a 40 yrd INT isnt much different than a punt is it?

Iron Horse72
11-14-2009, 04:21 PM
Better run game will open up plays down field.