PDA

View Full Version : A Little Perspective

Denver Native (Carol)
11-13-2009, 05:10 PM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/jsaccomano/a-little-perspective/

Perspective is one of those things that everybody claims to have, but which frequently seems lacking as soon as something goes against form, or what we deem form to be.

The Broncos are 6-2, and we could make a laundry list of things that have not gone right the past two weeks, of things that need to be improved dramatically, or a little.

OK, fine, no disagreement there.

But let’s consider:

We knew we had a schedule, and that it consisted of 16 games. This is something we all knew, as well as knowing that we would not play all 16 games at once, but instead playing them the very traditional one at a time. Everything is one at a time. Every single thing.

The tallest person grew a fraction of an inch at a time. The heaviest person took one bite at a time—a lot of them, perhaps, but all one at a time (you ever try to shove more than onr fork in your mouth at the same time? Didn’t think so).

So at the halfway point of the season, we are 6-2. Not many but the greatest of loyalists would have expected better, or more.

Now, it is a given that we all are real happy with a win, regardless of who we beat, and very disappointed with a loss, again regardless of who the winner was.

But beyond that, and let’s be reasonable here, did we somehow think the Ravens would be an easy team to beat in Baltimore, coming off three straight losses?

How about the Steelers? Does their sixth world championship not sort of tell us they might be a real tough opponent on Monday night football?

You have to look at the whole picture, all the time. Very tough to do, but that’s the challenge.

The Broncos are 6-2, and there is some part of that with which we are not happy. But……is there some part of that with which we ARE happy, like say, the six wins?

The last I looked, Cincinnati and New England and Dallas are first place teams, and Denver beat all of them. The Chargers would be a first place team, except…….they lost to Denver at home, on Monday night football, in a game they were desperate to win. That’s four of the Broncos’ six wins, and I defy anyone to say those four teams are not quality teams.

So, from here on, you just keep playing. No matter what, there is a game next week, and no matter how giddy or miserable you are, you have to get ready for it because preparation is the only way you can give yourself a chance to win, to get to the happy place.

Am I saying we should overlook errors or disappointing play? No, of course not, but as hard as it is to get our hands around the greased pig of perspective, we have to grab it and hold on.

Only with perspective can you see things clearly.

Big game this week, another opportunity to reach the happy place.

Day1BroncoFan
11-13-2009, 05:55 PM
I hope we get to the happy place this Sunday. I do I do I do.

SoCalImport
11-13-2009, 07:29 PM
WHo says I've never tried more than one fork-full at the same time? That's perfectly normal...right?

Nomad
11-13-2009, 08:09 PM
I hope we get to the happy place this Sunday. I do I do I do.

As long as the BRONCOS give 60 minutes of effort and play with intensity, if they would lose it wouldn't be as bad as Monday Night!! Sports pundits I listened to on FSR were actually picking the Redskins but the BRONCOS should win!! Excuses won't get you W's (I have been seeing so many)and if Chicago could beat the Steelers and Det and Tenn played them close and tough, I know the BRONCOS could of if they gave a little effort and lots of intensity to make a game of it. Baltimore, BRONCOS don't win there so it's excusable I guess!! Oh well, we'll see what BRONCOS team shows up Sunday!!

TXBRONC
11-13-2009, 09:20 PM
As long as the BRONCOS give 60 minutes of effort and play with intensity, if they would lose it wouldn't be as bad as Monday Night!! Sports pundits I listened to on FSR were actually picking the Redskins but the BRONCOS should win!! Excuses won't get you W's (I have been seeing so many)and if Chicago could beat the Steelers and Det and Tenn played them close and tough, I know the BRONCOS could of if they gave a little effort and lots of intensity to make a game of it. Baltimore, BRONCOS don't win there so it's excusable I guess!! Oh well, we'll see what BRONCOS team shows up Sunday!!

I've seen a couple pundits that have picked the Redskins to win but I guess that's going to happen when the offense scores a total of 10 points over two games.

LRtagger
11-13-2009, 09:29 PM
Check ESPN...our own Adam Schefter picked the skins. :tsk:

TXBRONC
11-13-2009, 09:36 PM

I saw it.

MOtorboat
11-13-2009, 09:42 PM

Well, crap, then...

Nomad
11-13-2009, 09:43 PM

What was his reasoning?? Like TX said, most I've heard said the BRONCOS offense is exposed and defenses will copycat Ravens and Steelers until proven otherwise that the BRONCOS can come up with an offense!!

I think it will be a close game because of the offense and ST, BRONCOS win though!!

Northman
11-13-2009, 09:45 PM
Skins have a tough D, but their offense is just as anemic as ours is.

TXBRONC
11-13-2009, 09:49 PM
Skins have a tough D, but their offense is just as anemic as ours is.

Someone mention in another thread that the Redskins have been struggling to defend the run. If that's true maybe Denver can get their ground game going.

EastCoastBronco
11-14-2009, 12:11 AM
Grab hold of my hand and take a walk with me. Not a long walk. Just back to the end of September...We had just handed the Raiders a loss in their own back yard and were looking down the barrel of a nasty 5 game stretch. Remember? Let me refresh your memories. Dallas (Quality team #1), New England (Quality team #2), San Diego (Quality team...eh, not so much), Baltimore (Quality Team #3), and last but not least Pittsburgh (Defending Super Bowl Champs).
Now, no lying allowed, how many of us thought that we would be coming out of that hellish stretch of games at 5-0? Be honest now. Yeah...That's what I thought. At best I was hoping that we'd come out of it at 3-2. Guess what? That's what we did.
Here's my theory on why everyone is starting to panic. Why our current version of 3-2 in that stretch is freaking people out. If we had dropped one to Dallas, then beat New England, San Diego, then dropped one to Baltimore and beat Pitt last night not one person on these boards would be in "Titanic" mode right now. Why not? We'd still be 3-2 in that same stretch. But because we dropped 2 in a row, the flares have started going up.
Back to reality... Any way you slice it, dice it, slap chop it, we came out of those 5 games as good as we could have hoped. Better, actually, given the stinking pile of mediocrity we were at seasons end last year. After a stretch of mediocrity like this team has suffered through, when you get to 6-0, luckily or not, peoples expectations start heading into unrealistic territory. We start getting visions of Lombardi trophies and trips to Disneyland instead of simply focusing on the week to week. Let's not kid ourselves. We are definitely in a rebuilding phase. Our defence has made a turnaround that NONE of us saw coming and has played better than anyone of could have hoped for. The offence (and our punter) is definitely our weak link. The punter needs to go. The offence will get better and their confidence will grow.
Washington will be a good test. It's a game that last year we would have likely lost because we used to suck at preparing for teams that were inferior to us. We don't anymore. Of all the strides this team has made this year, the one that I am happiest with is that we are no longer mediocre.
The first half of the seaon is over and we're 6-2. That's a damn good start. We are a good team. Not a Superbowl contender yet but we are getting there.
Bring on the second half of the season...one game at a time...

Son of a bitch stole my rant...

T.K.O.
11-14-2009, 03:02 PM
7-2 would put me in a very "happy place":D