OldManBronco
01-12-2008, 12:22 PM
Interview with Bowlen in todays Denver Post

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_7946054

Lonestar
01-12-2008, 12:23 PM
By Bill Williamson
The Denver Post

Denver Broncos owner Pat Bowlen discusses the disappointing 2007 season. In his first interviews since the end of a disappointing season, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen spoke on several topics today.

The following is a sampling:

On coach Mike Shanahan: "I know this season was tough on Mike and he and his staff worked hard Mike is my coach. For our club, certainly, I think he is the best coach in the NFL."

On personnel matters: "I think we made some mistakes in free agency last year. We have to do a better job in free agency. We need to make better decisions on and off the field."

On the team's character: "I wouldn't say we have a big character problem on this team."

On the Broncos' 7-9 season: "It was very disappointing and we weren't expecting it. It was very difficult. I'd have to look through the media guides over the past 24 years to see what my worst seasons were, but this had to be in the worst 3-4 seasons."

On fired defensive coordinator Jim Bates: "I was disappointed it didn't work out. But I am not going to make Jim Bates the whipping boy for what happened this season."

On quarterback Jay Cutler: "I think we have a great young quarterback we can build around."

For the complete story, please look in the Sunday Denver Post.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_7946054

topscribe
01-12-2008, 12:25 PM
A better yet article in the Rocky Mountain News:

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jan/12/bowlen-man-still-shanahan/

-----

hamrob
01-12-2008, 12:45 PM
Good article in the Rockie Mountain News! I doubt we sign any big name...big dollar players this offseason. I think Bowlin's sitting there going we sign Henry when we could have had Kerney...youch!

WARHORSE
01-12-2008, 12:52 PM
Bowlen: Smart man.

19-0 baybay.

WARHORSE
01-12-2008, 12:54 PM
Good article in the Rockie Mountain News! I doubt we sign any big name...big dollar players this offseason. I think Bowlin's sitting there going we sign Henry when we could have had Kerney...youch!

Obviously, if we signed Kerney it would be a little different tune on free agency. And who knows? Maybe next year Kerney busts.

That is life in the NFL.

The same can happen in the draft.

silkamilkamonico
01-12-2008, 12:57 PM
If we signed Kerney, we wouldn't have both Moss/Crowder.

Kerney had a great year this year, but I love the injection at youth and am hoping it pans out for those young players at the DE position.

Tned
01-12-2008, 01:32 PM
I think this says a lot about how great the Broncos have been the last couple decades and how spoiled us fans have beee:

On the Broncos' 7-9 season: "It was very disappointing and we weren't expecting it. It was very difficult. I'd have to look through the media guides over the past 24 years to see what my worst seasons were, but this had to be in the worst 3-4 seasons."

Requiem / The Dagda
01-12-2008, 01:35 PM
Finally, Denver is done with free agency mistakes.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-12-2008, 01:41 PM
Why does nobody mention Graham when mentioning the FA mistakes? Dude is WAY overpaid for someone who isn't the #1 TE target AND he dropped crucial passes on multiple occasions...jax for 1. Dude's getting a free pass.

claymore
01-12-2008, 01:53 PM
On the team's character: "I wouldn't say we have a big character problem on this team."

I am so happy that he sees this............... Hell yeah, the Boss knows.

Bronco9798
01-12-2008, 02:04 PM
Hopefully we think about the past mistakes last year and do some things right this off-season. I'm ready for real Bronco football to return.

gobroncsnv
01-12-2008, 02:56 PM
Why does nobody mention Graham when mentioning the FA mistakes? Dude is WAY overpaid for someone who isn't the #1 TE target AND he dropped crucial passes on multiple occasions...jax for 1. Dude's getting a free pass.

I give him a pass on that one because they hadn't thrown to him before that play. No doubt, the pass hit him right in the hands... happens to the best of them... but get him involved earlier if you want better results. Our running game suffered when he wasn't in there.

Bowlen is still the kind of owner I like... Knows enough to stay out of the way. I also like how he says that Bates wasn't the only problem we had on D. We still have a lot of personnel issues to work through. I'm sure Shanny is worried that I don't think we are set on dline yet, nor LB.

DenBronx
01-12-2008, 03:07 PM
If we signed Kerney, we wouldn't have both Moss/Crowder.

Kerney had a great year this year, but I love the injection at youth and am hoping it pans out for those young players at the DE position.

no if we had signed kerney then maybe we would have signed johnathan beason or nelson and still had crowder. then our defense would have been sick!

TXBRONC
01-12-2008, 03:12 PM
I think this says a lot about how great the Broncos have been the last couple decades and how spoiled us fans have beee:

It also says a lot about how Shanahan and Bowlen did not go into the season with attitude that this a "rebuilding" year.

Dean
01-12-2008, 03:45 PM

How closely do you watch the games?

Graham was seldom called to release into pass routes because he was needed to help shore up the lines pass blocking. Graham can't catch passes while he is blocking. In the two late season games while Graham was hurt, the line gave up 9 sacks. They only gave up 29 sacks (Cutler 27 and Ramsey 2) for the entire season.

Maybe the reason he wasn't mentioned in the FA mistakes is that they didn't see him as a mistake. Ya think?

MileHighWrath
01-12-2008, 04:13 PM

There's a lot of truth in your statement tned. Just look at my signature to put things into perspective.

That being said, I am a spoiled Bronco fan ... where are my playoffs? (no doubt in my mind we will be playing at this time next year)

DenBronx
01-12-2008, 04:46 PM
Take a look at our key free agents and coaches we picked up last year.

DE: Simeon Rice - Bust
DT: Sam Adams - Bust
DB: Dre Bly - Busted personel choice
TE: Daniel Graham - Pending
RB: Travis Henry - Bust
P: Todd Sauerbrun - Bust
DC: Bates - Disapointment

Our biggest need last offseason was a DE. Anyone remember that? We chose to look towards the draft to fill this hole with Moss. Kerney who has been a beast at his position ended up with 14.5 sacks this year. He helped solidify that defense into a contender. We then chose to look towards band aiding this position with Simeon Rice, who has had a very successfull career but didn't mesh with the team and couldn't win the job probablly due to his injuries. So I chalk this up as a bust for DE.

Maybe the second biggest need and NOW the overall biggest need this year is DT. We also picked up a promising rookie in Thomas but chose to bypass Jenkins and Rogers who would have both fit Bates scheme very well. We then chose to band aide once more with Sam Adams. Good career but way past his prime and really out of shape. He could not stay on the field and was constantly sucking air. Not an everydown DT either, so I will also chalk this up as a bust for DT.

The idea of bringing in Bly was really a phony idea. Why? Because we already had Foxworth who has been moved 3 times in 3 years. He was ready to take over as a 2nd CB. Very young still and I think has better cover skills than Bly. Now to Blys credit he did play pretty good this year on a bad defense but he is 30 years old and commanded alot of money. Foxy would have been cheaper and this would have let us go after "key" free agents of need. CB was maybe 4th or 5th on areas of need. So in short I don't Bly is a bust but I really question this move.

Graham is considered one of the best blocking TE's in the NFL. With all of the schemes and two tight end sets we run then I think the idea of bringing him in was good. Now did anyone notice that we didn't run a whole lot of double tight end sets with him on the field? I never really saw his blocking impact in the running game or pass protection. His hands seemed like hands of stone this year too. Could a true blocking fullback or better o-line have made a bigger impact? Graham is not a bust but his impact as a Bronco is yet to be seen.

We have been in need of a real game breaker at RB position. I know we have been consistant at the running game but this is the first time in what 10 years that the Broncos have not had a back with over 1000 yards in one season? This move I think was the one that impact us the most. Henry did nothing but cause distraction with his marijuana case and was paid to sit on a bench nursing an injury. What a differance a guy like McGahee or Jones would have meant to this offense. Henry was a bust.

Our field position was one of the worst the last few years. That is why we brought in Todd to help imrpove this to give our defense a little cushion to stop other offenses. Todd also was a huge distraction and mouthed off one too many times. Trust me, when a guy like Hester is returning the ball you might want to reconsider. Busted move.

Bates, in his defense I will say there are 3 things to consider. a.) He needed better players. b.) He needed more control c.) He needed more time. I like that Bowlen stood up for him and said we are not going to make Bates the whipping boy for this years dissapointment. He never said Shanahan was wrong but I think he knew that this team just wasn't the right fit for Bates. The thing with Bates is he just might go to a team and make their defense solid. It's just not happening here and I think we all know that this was a right move by letting him go. However, once again dumb move to bring in a coach that needs to completely change all your existing personel. Busted move by choosing Bates.

topscribe
01-12-2008, 04:58 PM
Take a look at our key free agents and coaches we picked up last year.

DE: Simeon Rice - Bust
DT: Sam Adams - Bust
DB: Dre Bly - Busted personel choice
TE: Daniel Graham - Pending
RB: Travis Henry - Bust
P: Todd Sauerbrun - Bust
DC: Bates - Disapointment

Our biggest need last offseason was a DE. Anyone remember that? We chose to look towards the draft to fill this hole with Moss. Kerney who has been a beast at his position ended up with 14.5 sacks this year. He helped solidify that defense into a contender. We then chose to look towards band aiding this position with Simeon Rice, who has had a very successfull career but didn't mesh with the team and couldn't win the job probablly due to his injuries. So I chalk this up as a bust for DE.

Maybe the second biggest need and NOW the overall biggest need this year is DT. We also picked up a promising rookie in Thomas but chose to bypass Jenkins and Rogers who would have both fit Bates scheme very well. We then chose to band aide once more with Sam Adams. Good career but way past his prime and really out of shape. He could not stay on the field and was constantly sucking air. Not an everydown DT either, so I will also chalk this up as a bust for DT.

The idea of bringing in Bly was really a phony idea. Why? Because we already had Foxworth who has been moved 3 times in 3 years. He was ready to take over as a 2nd CB. Very young still and I think has better cover skills than Bly. Now to Blys credit he did play pretty good this year on a bad defense but he is 30 years old and commanded alot of money. Foxy would have been cheaper and this would have let us go after "key" free agents of need. CB was maybe 4th or 5th on areas of need. So in short I don't Bly is a bust but I really question this move.

Graham is considered one of the best blocking TE's in the NFL. With all of the schemes and two tight end sets we run then I think the idea of bringing him in was good. Now did anyone notice that we didn't run a whole lot of double tight end sets with him on the field? I never really saw his blocking impact in the running game or pass protection. His hands seemed like hands of stone this year too. Could a true blocking fullback or better o-line have made a bigger impact? Graham is not a bust but his impact as a Bronco is yet to be seen.

We have been in need of a real game breaker at RB position. I know we have been consistant at the running game but this is the first time in what 10 years that the Broncos have not had a back with over 1000 yards in one season? This move I think was the one that impact us the most. Henry did nothing but cause distraction with his marijuana case and was paid to sit on a bench nursing an injury. What a differance a guy like McGahee or Jones would have meant to this offense. Henry was a bust.

Our field position was one of the worst the last few years. That is why we brought in Todd to help imrpove this to give our defense a little cushion to stop other offenses. Todd also was a huge distraction and mouthed off one too many times. Trust me, when a guy like Hester is returning the ball you might want to reconsider. Busted move.

Bates, in his defense I will say there are 3 things to consider. a.) He needed better players. b.) He needed more control c.) He needed more time. I like that Bowlen stood up for him and said we are not going to make Bates the whipping boy for this years dissapointment. He never said Shanahan was wrong but I think he knew that this team just wasn't the right fit for Bates. The thing with Bates is he just might go to a team and make their defense solid. It's just not happening here and I think we all know that this was a right move by letting him go. However, once again dumb move to bring in a coach that needs to completely change all your existing personel. Busted move by choosing Bates.

Cannot agree about Bly. First of all, he has gotten nothing but profuse
compliments from all of his teammates and peers. And before you say that
is what they are going to say, they said things they did not have to say.
Second, his problems were lack of consistent pass rush. Even Champ was
burned a couple times. Why? Because the greatest of CBs, which Champ is,
will get beat if there is no pass rush. The WRs are pros, too. Personally, I
am very happy with Bly. He will improve dramatically as the pass rush
improves.

I also do not see how Graham could be "pending." Did we not see the
difference in run blocking and pass protection after he went down? Graham
is not a rookie trying to prove himself. He is a proven pro, whom the best
team in football, who is stocked with quality TEs, tried to keep.

Todd Sauerbrun is another one. The problem was not his performance as a
punter or K/O. He was decent there . . . maybe not up to what we had
hoped, but still decent. Again, the Pats tried to keep him, too. He wasn't
sent down the road because of lack of skills.

I do see what you are trying to say, and you make some good points. I just
wanted to point this out, according to my own perception.

-----

topscribe
01-12-2008, 05:10 PM

Graham was seldom called to release into pass routes because he was needed to help shore up the lines pass blocking. Graham can't catch passes while he is blocking. In the two late season games while Graham was hurt, the line gave up 9 sacks. They only gave up 29 sacks (Cutler 27 and Ramsey 2) for the entire season.

Maybe the reason he wasn't mentioned in the FA mistakes is that they didn't see him as a mistake. Ya think?

Shanny has already mentioned Graham as one of the most valuable players on
the roster. The offensive game is all about blocking. Graham is all about
blocking. The guy may be the best blocking TE I have ever seen in my nearly
half-century of watching football.

Good post. :2thumbs:

-----

DenBronx
01-12-2008, 05:10 PM
Cannot agree about Bly. First of all, he has gotten nothing but profuse
compliments from all of his teammates and peers. And before you say that
is what they are going to say, they said things they did not have to say.
Second, his problems were lack of consistent pass rush. Even Champ was
burned a couple times. Why? Because the greatest of CBs, which Champ is,
will get beat if there is no pass rush. The WRs are pros, too. Personally, I
am very happy with Bly. He will improve dramatically as the pass rush
improves.

I also do not see how Graham could be "pending." Did we not see the
difference in run blocking and pass protection after he went down? Graham
is not a rookie trying to prove himself. He is a proven pro, whom the best
team in football, who is stocked with quality TEs, tried to keep.

Todd Sauerbrun is another one. The problem was not his performance as a
punter or K/O. He was decent there . . . maybe not up to what we had
hoped, but still decent. Again, the Pats tried to keep him, too. He wasn't
sent down the road because of lack of skills.

I do see what you are trying to say, and you make some good points. I just
wanted to point this out, according to my own perception.

-----

I don't think that Bly is a bust in anyway, shape or form. I think Bly is a good ball player but my thoughts are that this was a busted personel choice when we had a promising 3rd year player in Foxy. The the Redskins we're also trying to trade with us for Bly and possibly send us Springs and a 2nd rounder to make it happen. Bly did good, in fact I look forward to him being a Bronco but I don't look forward to the cap space he will take in the next 3 years.

Can you honestly say if you had to redo last offseason that you would choose Graham over Kerney? I'm specifically trying to point out that the personel choices we're horrible last year. There has to be a priority list and some key players targeted this year or we will continue to see DAFTING and bad FA moves.

DenBronx
01-12-2008, 05:16 PM
I would have rather seen us get Kerney. Then Moss would have not been picked and we could have set tight for Beason or Nelson. Now, Beason was 3rd in the NFL in tackles. DJ was 2nd. Imagine that core of linebackers with Kerney on the line. Still doesn't fix the DT woes but is a major upgrade right there. Bypass Bly, plug in Foxy and send our 3rd to the Lions for Rogers.

yardog
01-12-2008, 05:21 PM
There's a lot of truth in your statement tned. Just look at my signature to put things into perspective.

That being said, I am a spoiled Bronco fan ... where are my playoffs? (no doubt in my mind we will be playing at this time next year)

I hope your right but until I see our Def next year I want be making any bets on it.

DenBronx
01-12-2008, 05:27 PM
to even further prove my point....

....graham was arrested last night.

maybe we should also consider leadership and the quality of the player and not just a skill set. none of the guys we brought in have leadership ability. we brought in lynch and you could tell the leadership really rubed off on the team.

TXBRONC
01-12-2008, 05:30 PM

Personally I thought Graham did good job in the passing game when called upon.

NameUsedBefore
01-12-2008, 05:44 PM

Well... that was easy.

NameUsedBefore
01-12-2008, 05:45 PM
Personally I thought Graham did good job in the passing game when called upon.

I think he lost his groove. He showed glimpses, but we were using him to block so much that when we did decide to throw it to him he was always a bit rusty. Not the receiving player we saw in New England, but definitely a damn good blocking tight-end.

DenBronx
01-12-2008, 05:59 PM
I think he lost his groove. He showed glimpses, but we were using him to block so much that when we did decide to throw it to him he was always a bit rusty. Not the receiving player we saw in New England, but definitely a damn good blocking tight-end.

I think it just might be the adjustment of a new team. That is why I say pending on Graham. Next year I think we will know if Graham was a good decision or not. Cutler does seem to have a good bond with Sheffler, so he of course will give him the read 1st. Plus Sheffler is a better vertical threat and finds ways to get open compared to Graham, making him a better option to pass to.

TXBRONC
01-12-2008, 06:06 PM
I think it just might be the adjustment of a new team. That is why I say pending on Graham. Next year I think we will know if Graham was a good decision or not. Cutler does seem to have a good bond with Sheffler, so he of course will give him the read 1st. Plus Sheffler is a better vertical threat and finds ways to get open compared to Graham, making him a better option to pass to.

I don't recall Graham being asked to get deep down the seem not that he couldn't.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-12-2008, 06:10 PM

He's a good blocker...YAY! If he was brought in solely to block, why'd he get so much money? Besides, I didn't question his overall productivity in the pass game, I questioned the ability of one of the highest paid TEs in the game to catch a 4 yard pass during a crucial time in a game. Sorry for such high expectations.

Lonestar
01-12-2008, 08:15 PM
one wonders when he is going to hold mikey and ted accountable..

Do I think those glowing terms of who were players and who were not were Pats original Ideas not for one moment ..

I do not know what mikey has on Pat.

But it is time for Pat to stop drinking mikeys koolade and get something this team has lacked for a couple of decades a Qualified PROFESSIONAL General Manager not mikey yes boy..

We would be a damned fine team if mikey had some players to use. We have done more with less since John, TD, Shannon, Eddie Mac left than any other team..

At least at this years press conference we did not get the same canned "we are one or two players away" speech that everyone was buying the past 4-5 years..

Time to rebuild this team via the draft and not via FA. Wonder why it took so long for these mental midgets to figure this out..

Lonestar
01-12-2008, 08:17 PM

do not hold your breath
Until the get a professional GM that know personnel they will still pull some bone heads and if they build via the draft it only gets worse..

Dean
01-12-2008, 08:21 PM
In addition to the draft, I believe that the Broncos will continue to use trades to fill immediate needs. We have had better than average success doing that over the years.

Lonestar
01-12-2008, 08:25 PM
In addition to the draft, I believe that the Broncos will continue to use trades to fill immediate needs. We have had better than average success doing that over the years.

two CBs if I recall..
One HOF CB for a great RB the "other" questionable Cb for a questionable at best rb..

Who are you gonna trade this time?

broncofanatic1987
01-12-2008, 08:28 PM
A better yet article in the Rocky Mountain News:

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jan/12/bowlen-man-still-shanahan/

-----

This article makes me believe we can expect the team to be a legitimate contender in maybe 3 years, a playoff team in 2 years. I still think Shanahan should be fired if the defense isn't a top 15 defense and the team doesn't make the playoffs, but obviously that isn't going to happen. Shanahan is the coach for life as long as Bowlen is the owner. Let's just hope that they not only continue to draft well, but get better at it.:beer:

topscribe
01-12-2008, 09:01 PM
This article makes me believe we can expect the team to be a legitimate contender in maybe 3 years, a playoff team in 2 years. I still think Shanahan should be fired if the defense isn't a top 15 defense and the team doesn't make the playoffs, but obviously that isn't going to happen. Shanahan is the coach for life as long as Bowlen is the owner. Let's just hope that they not only continue to draft well, but get better at it.:beer:

I expect the Broncos to be a playoff team next year.

-----

broncofanatic1987
01-12-2008, 09:13 PM

-----

I'm sure once this season is over, I will have that same expectation, but right now, I'm not ready to jump on that wagon.:D;)

omac
01-13-2008, 12:01 AM

-----

Playoffs? Heck, Superbowl Champs! .... er, maybe ... gotta fix that defense first, hehehe. :D

broncosfanscott
01-13-2008, 02:39 AM

I guess they are finally learning from their mistakes and will finally concentrate more on the draft, which is what should be done in the first place. No more has beens from other teams and load up with athletes.

Lonestar
01-13-2008, 08:21 PM
I guess they are finally learning from their mistakes and will finally concentrate more on the draft, which is what should be done in the first place. No more has beens from other teams and load up with athletes.

Not sure that the front office can be trusted to do that, most of the drafts excepting the past two have been meager at best..

Npba900
01-14-2008, 06:52 PM

Having read the article on Bowlen, I believe its safe to say that Denver may not be a play off team in 2008, unless of course the O Line does a 360.

Although both Shanahan and Bowlen have stated they will not delve heavily in FA, Denver will need to search hard and deep to justify not signing a proven veteran at Tackle to protect Cutler. An improved O Line holds the keys to 10 wins for 2008.

Solidifying the O Line via FA and continuing to improve the front seven on Defense thru the draft. The Defense is still 2 years away from being dependable......and thats if the 2006 and 2007 Defensive players become impact contributing players.

We could be in for another long season!

TXBRONC
01-14-2008, 10:03 PM
Having read the article on Bowlen, I believe its safe to say that Denver may not be a play off team in 2008, unless of course the O Line does a 360.

Although both Shanahan and Bowlen have stated they will not delve heavily in FA, Denver will need to search hard and deep to justify not signing a proven veteran at Tackle to protect Cutler. An improved O Line holds the keys to 10 wins for 2008.

Solidifying the O Line via FA and continuing to improve the front seven on Defense thru the draft. The Defense is still 2 years away from being dependable......and thats if the 2006 and 2007 Defensive players become impact contributing players.

We could be in for another long season!

I think its more so the defensive line that has make improvements. While offense has it own need attend too I think overall it still a lot better shape than the defensive line.

broncosfanscott
01-15-2008, 12:13 AM
I think its more so the defensive line that has make improvements. While offense has it own need attend too I think overall it still a lot better shape than the defensive line.

Pretty accurate. Our offense made some positive strides this year despite everything it had to deal with, like injuries. However the defense when backwords due to a run defense that was a total joke.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-15-2008, 09:15 AM
The O looks solid overall...the OL just needs to be healthy. Patchwork doesn't keep yer QB safe.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-15-2008, 09:16 AM
...and we need to get the redzone woes fixed.

The Glue Factory
01-16-2008, 12:48 PM
Our biggest need last offseason was a DE. Anyone remember that? We chose to look towards the draft to fill this hole with Moss. Kerney who has been a beast at his position ended up with 14.5 sacks this year. He helped solidify that defense into a contender.

That's a nice assumption you make that Kerney would have performed similarly in Denver. Perhaps he would have been injured or only gotten 2 sacks this year and Moss would have put in 12+ sacks? It's hard to say what would have happened if x, y, or z happened instead of what did happen.

BigDaddyBronco
01-16-2008, 12:50 PM
That's a nice assumption you make that Kerney would have performed similarly in Denver. Perhaps he would have been injured or only gotten 2 sacks this year and Moss would have put in 12+ sacks? It's hard to say what would have happened if x, y, or z happened instead of what did happen.
Kerney also said that he thought Seattle was closer to the Super Bowl than Denver was. At least that was said during the Seattle - Washington playoff game.

Maybe more money would have changed his mind, maybe not.

The Glue Factory
01-16-2008, 02:01 PM
Kerney also said that he thought Seattle was closer to the Suber Bowl than Denver was. At least that was said during the Seattle - Washington playoff game.

Maybe more money would have changed his mind, maybe not.

After this year, I'd say many teams are closer to the SB than we are. BUT things can change quickly in the NFL. A stroll down memory lane proves that. SB 21, 22 & 24 were punctuated by a 8-8 season. Many a season has started strong or weak and ended weak or strong (2006 season anyone?)

In the end I don't get too worked up about personnel. Bowlen has always been a great owner and has fielded great teams. In his 24 years as Broncos owner we've only had 9 non-winning seasons (3 of those being non-losing as well.) We've been blessed with 15 winning seasons under Bowlen's ownership and at least 11 trips to the playoffs. I wonder what Uncle Al can boast of in that same period? :lol:

BigDaddyBronco
01-16-2008, 02:47 PM
After this year, I'd say many teams are closer to the SB than we are. BUT things can change quickly in the NFL. A stroll down memory lane proves that. SB 21, 22 & 24 were punctuated by a 8-8 season. Many a season has started strong or weak and ended weak or strong (2006 season anyone?)

In the end I don't get too worked up about personnel. Bowlen has always been a great owner and has fielded great teams. In his 24 years as Broncos owner we've only had 9 non-winning seasons (3 of those being non-losing as well.) We've been blessed with 15 winning seasons under Bowlen's ownership and at least 11 trips to the playoffs. I wonder what Uncle Al can boast of in that same period? :lol:
I don't think Uncle Al even knows where he is. The guy looks like the Cryptkeeper.

Dreadnought
01-16-2008, 02:55 PM
I don't think Uncle Al even knows where he is. The guy looks like the Cryptkeeper.

He wants to know if they're serving pudding tonight. He wants seconds if Nurse isn't looking.

Its good to be a Bronco fan, even in early 2008.

Dreadnought
01-16-2008, 03:03 PM
Obviously, if we signed Kerney it would be a little different tune on free agency. And who knows? Maybe next year Kerney busts.

That is life in the NFL.

The same can happen in the draft.

After 2006, the Javon Walker deal looked like pure genius. Now we are stuck with a damaged malcontent that we'd damned near have to pay someone to take off of our hands. Life in the NFL indeed!

Crush05
01-16-2008, 03:15 PM
As I have said before Shanny is our coach and I will echo Bowlen Shanny is our guy. We all cannot have winning seasons every year. Face it we have been and are rebuilding. Get off of the fire Shanny wagon and get on the let's build our team around our young players for the future wagon and I promise you will not be disappointed!!!!!

The Glue Factory
01-16-2008, 06:10 PM
It's amazing how many people are unhappy that we haven't done much in the postseason and want to fire shanny. All the best teams for the past 10 years have had long term coaches. Nearly all the teams that are cellar dwelling (*cough*oakland*cough*) have a constantly, consistently revolving door with coaches. Hmmm...

Npba900
01-26-2008, 07:36 PM
After 2006, the Javon Walker deal looked like pure genius. Now we are stuck with a damaged malcontent that we'd damned near have to pay someone to take off of our hands. Life in the NFL indeed!

Walker and Denver may part ways, however, when Shanny had the vision to bring Walker in here, it was a GREAT MOVE! Due to injuries, unfortuneatly it different work out.

However, a year or two from now, I don't won't to hear someone blast Shanny for the Walker deal......had it not been for injuries, Walker would have been fantastic for Cutler...and Shanahan would have gotten the credit for bringing Javon to Denver.

broncosfanscott
01-28-2008, 02:55 AM

That definatly life in the NFL and that's how it goes sometimes. You take chances on players in hopes that it will work out.

It is easy to look after the fact and say "Hey, we should've done this" when in fact nobody knows how things will turn out. This is why I hope we start drafting some talent that will be with our team for long time.

mopatt24
01-28-2008, 11:06 AM
That definatly life in the NFL and that's how it goes sometimes. You take chances on players in hopes that it will work out.

It is easy to look after the fact and say "Hey, we should've done this" when in fact nobody knows how things will turn out. This is why I hope we start drafting some talent that will be with our team for long time.

I just hope we start evaluating talent better, rather it be through the draft or FA. I'm not against bringing in guys through FA, I just dont like the spending sprees like last year. Graham and Stokley were nice additions, as was the trade for Bly, but players like Adams and Rice we could have avoided. I understand what they were trying to do by adjusting the roster for Jim Bates, but that was alot of changes that went on with our defense.

Lonestar
01-28-2008, 11:14 AM
I just hope we start evaluating talent better, rather it be through the draft or FA. I'm not against bringing in guys through FA, I just dont like the spending sprees like last year. Graham and Stokley were nice additions, as was the trade for Bly, but players like Adams and Rice we could have avoided. I understand what they were trying to do by adjusting the roster for Jim Bates, but that was alot of changes that went on with our defense.

Unfortunately good DT's are just hard to come by, the great ones are kept at almost any cost. Until such time as they are Adams flat over the hill. I think Bates knew this, but thought he could get enough snaps a game to bring Thomas along slower.. You forgot Kennedy same thing applies except he was a loser..

The only teams that have allowed great DT to leave and not suffer from it are to the best of my knowledge NE, PHL and now GB. But they all had drafted their replacements a year or two before and they were up and running..

When was the last time mikey drafted a talented DT? 1998..

mopatt24
01-28-2008, 11:36 AM
Unfortunately good DT's are just hard to come by, the great ones are kept at almost any cost. Until such time as they are Adams flat over the hill. I think Bates knew this, but thought he could get enough snaps a game to bring Thomas along slower.. You forgot Kennedy same thing applies except he was a loser..

The only teams that have allowed great DT to leave and not suffer from it are to the best of my knowledge NE, PHL and now GB. But they all had drafted their replacements a year or two before and they were up and running..

When was the last time mikey drafted a talented DT? 1998..

Aint that the truth!

So what is your take on Shuan Rogers?

I'm all for bringing him in, but still drafting and another DT like Trevor Laws

Lonestar
01-28-2008, 11:52 AM
Aint that the truth!

So what is your take on Shuan Rogers?

I'm all for bringing him in, but still drafting and another DT like Trevor Laws

I'm not a draft guru and do not know the players from college. I do not get to see much college ball do to my daugther playing VB in college. So I tend to wait until after the combine to try and speak intelligent about them I really wanted bunkley a couple of years ago.. Mainly from what I saw in the combine elevated him in my eyes..

SR Hmm I think if we could get him cheap and build in a lot of incentive that he can attain I do not care if he become the highest paid DT/DE in the business if it is from performance..

We got burnt on price several years ago drafted a converted LB as a DE who turned into a great DT. Then gave him a FAT contract with no incentives built in except for showing up for off season practices..

Our biggest need IMO a professional GM that knows contracts and players. This lets mikey become a great coach again.

broncosfanscott
01-28-2008, 08:57 PM

Bringing in a veteran FA to help with the youth as well as improve a position, however it shouldn't be something that we rely on.