PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Season Hinges on Offensive Line

Npba900
01-12-2008, 09:29 AM
The key to Shanahan getting 10 wins or more in 2008, will be to address the OFFENSIVE LINE in Free Agency!!! Rather Shanny is stubborn enough to continue to allow his Franchise QB play behind an unproven offensive line this season remains to be seen. If Shanny elects to go with an unproven OFFENSIVE LINE, he not only risks injury to Cutler, but this move could actually get him fired at the end of this season.

Spend the money in FA and sign "Faneca, Starks, and Jordan Goss to solidify the O Line with proven veterans. This will allow guys like Pears, and Harris (who is coming off 2 consecutive years of back injuries) to get stronger and develop his skills, so that in 2 or 3 years perhaps we will all know whether if Harris, Pears, and our other young O-linemen are truly the answer!

Everything hinges on significantly upgrading the O-Line! If you want to protect Cutler and allow him time to throw the ball.....bring in Faneca, Starks, Goss, add Hamilton, and Nalen......then Denver would have a legitimate veteran O-Line!!! Who knows, perhaps Cutler will have the same protection that Manning and Brady has.

The 2008 season will hinge upon what Denver can do to vastly and immediately update their offensive line! Hopefully, Shanahan has realized you win in the trenches (hence the horrible execution in the Red Zone), and will take the steps thru FA to sign Faneca (Steelers), Starks (Titans I believe) and Jordan Gross (Panthers). Thats right Mike....ya gotta open your wallet! and make sure should Faneca, Gross and Starks come to Denver for a LOOK AROUND, "THEY DON'T LEAVE DENVER" w/o signing a contract!!!

Should the Broncos manage to have Gross, Starks, Nalen, Faneca, and Hamilton in the starting rotation in 2008.......the woes of the O Line will be solved. Throw in a bigger/heavier athletic lead blocking Fullback (Like Owen Schmitt!), and Denver will return to having one of the better O Lines in the NFL, and have one of higher percentages of Red Zone successes.

Facts are, Pears, Kuper, Meyers, Holland, and Harris are not ready to start and Denver should not gamble with the 2008 season and Cutler's health with the afore mentioned player, hoping these guys are the answer!

Denver has the right players at QB, WR, TE, and RB too really score more points IF the O line can be upgraded with impact-full veterans thru FA. If Nalen can comeback from injuries along with Hamilton, Denver can put points on the board at the rate of 31-38 points per game.

If Denver's offense can score at this rate, the Broncos can win 6 more games in 2008! Winning 6 more games in 2008 will give 12 or 13 wins. That should soothe the Bronco fateful. Point is the Offense holds the keys to allow Slowick to get his act together of building a top 5 Defensive unit in two years.

Shanahan's sanity, confidence, and perhaps his future in Denver hinges upon HOW well offense scores in the Red Zone.

Cutler's health and further development and ascendancy to a top 5 NFL QB....all hinges on a vastly upgraded and improved OFFENSIVE LINE IN 2008.

Bronco9798
01-12-2008, 09:43 AM
Spend the money in FA and sign "Faneca, Starks, and Jordan Goss to solidify the O Line with proven veterans.

Not going to happen. Good grief, you think the Broncos are the only team that is allowed to sign free agents. You do realize there is a cap also, right. You can't just go pick three guys out and bring them in like that. It's not that easy. It's not even realistic. Shanny likes his youngsters and believes they'll do just fine.

Money doesn't grow on trees. At least my dad always told me that.

Bronco9798
01-12-2008, 09:46 AM
Why did you delete the first thread, I responded to it and now its gone?

Bronco9798
01-12-2008, 09:47 AM
Did you not like my response??

Npba900
01-12-2008, 09:57 AM
My bad, I didn't realize I deleted the thread. Sorry.

Broncolingus
01-12-2008, 09:59 AM
Denver, like all teams season, will hinge on how both lines play...offense and defense.

Denver cannot address ONLY the offensive line...the defensive line is currently the biggest liability on that team.

That said, I agree, the offensive line is a very close second.

Npba900
01-12-2008, 10:04 AM
Not going to happen. Good grief, you think the Broncos are the only team that is allowed to sign free agents. You do realize there is a cap also, right. You can't just go pick three guys out and bring them in like that. It's not that easy. It's not even realistic. Shanny likes his youngsters and believes they'll do just fine.

Good points, I know cap space considerations always rule in the end. However, I'd like to see Denver at least look into signing at least two of the three O linemen in FA.

Our offense is really close to coming together and playing great football, I just don't have any confidence in the current group of O-linemen except for Nalen and perhaps Hamilton. We need at least two proven veteran O linemen to help solidify our O Line. Whe have the talent at QB, TE, WR and RB already....but a inexperienced unproven O Line will waste the talent we currently have at our skill positions on offense.

Bronco9798
01-12-2008, 10:20 AM
You just can't sign 3 starting O linemen in FA. You might ffind some depth, but not 3 starters. I think Shanny will draft someone and maybe sign a veteran.

hamrob
01-12-2008, 01:13 PM
I don't think we'll sign any of those big names. Why? because your looking at 25-40 million a piece. Listening to both Shanny and Bowlen...that aint happening this year. We're going to develop our own guys and let them grow.

Of the three you mention the only guy I'd sign is Gross...he's younger and would be a staple for quite some time.

Faneca is getting long in the tooth and Starks has a hard time bending his knees and taking on speed rushers...not the guy we need at LT in our offense.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-12-2008, 01:16 PM
Signing just two quality offensive lineman in free agency (starters) would cost at least fifty million dollars in total, including the bonuses given to the players. This is something Denver cannot do, because they simply cannot afford it.

Hawgdriver
01-12-2008, 01:29 PM
Dream, your sig is SOOO 20007.

My reaction to 'O-line is the key' is...no.

Just because a guy is a beast doesn't mean it will translate well to the Broncos.

The key is having a good draft and establishing a defense so we can contend in 2009. I've already written off 2008 for championship hopes--not that it won't be fun to watch. But we won't be able to restock all of the talent and depth we will need. I hope 2009 we're ready.

Think about our state right now. We have a defense that if they took the field today...would they know their assignments? They have an offseason to learn a new defense and build upon it. There are defenses out there that could take the field today and crush us...that are well ahead of us in terms of personnel and familiarity with their system. Honestly, if there is a 'key', it's the rebuilding of the whole defense (and not just the DTs). Although our O-line is not sexy, and is suspect in spots, at least we have some decent depth and familiarity with the system. Maybe we can bring in a top tier bookend, but I'm concerned they won't adjust to Denver's offense right away. I think we're going to be left with Pears and Harris on the fringe, but maybe we bring in another rookie--but there's no guarantee that he would crack the lineup.

I hope Denver looks to 2009 and beyond this offseason, because if they sell the future for a shot at 2008, I think we'll be in for a long string of disappointments.

Skinny
01-12-2008, 01:55 PM
We're going to develop our own guys and let them grow.When applying this to the O-line ... it scares the hell out of me!

Where's the NFLE when ya need it ...

Note to Mikey :

If your going to develop them, you'll have to actually keep them on the roster to do it ... ie ... Greg Eslinger ...

WARHORSE
01-12-2008, 01:55 PM

Awww come on 98.

If Daniel Snyder can do it, cant we?

Besides, my momma said money does grow on trees that are planted in one of dads pockets and only she knows which one.

Lets sign the bunch o them and be 20 million over the cap in three years.:tsk:

WARHORSE
01-12-2008, 01:57 PM
I don't think we'll sign any of those big names. Why? because your looking at 25-40 million a piece. Listening to both Shanny and Bowlen...that aint happening this year. We're going to develop our own guys and let them grow.

Of the three you mention the only guy I'd sign is Gross...he's younger and would be a staple for quite some time.

Faneca is getting long in the tooth and Starks has a hard time bending his knees and taking on speed rushers...not the guy we need at LT in our offense.

Speakin for Faneca, he was all pro this year and has probably three solid years left at least.

But I think Shanny might be happy with the interior of the Oline.......... but I think we will add a tackle somewhere.

xzn
01-12-2008, 02:02 PM

Getting one of those three, though, is realistic and I am convinced is the best use of available cap space. I think the first priority would be to get the best OLT we can to protect Cutler's blindside. So Gross would make the most sense. We actually do have some cap room and a lot of players already under contract so it just depends on what direction we want to go.

As for the youngsters we would all do well to remember that Tom Brady won his first SBs with previously "unproven" guys like Matt Light, Logan Mankins etc.

If we do anything in FA I think we should address the OL, preferably at OT since experience matters a great deal and since Cutler is so valuable.

WARHORSE
01-12-2008, 03:16 PM
Getting one of those three, though, is realistic and I am convinced is the best use of available cap space. I think the first priority would be to get the best OLT we can to protect Cutler's blindside. So Gross would make the most sense. We actually do have some cap room and a lot of players already under contract so it just depends on what direction we want to go.

As for the youngsters we would all do well to remember that Tom Brady won his first SBs with previously "unproven" guys like Matt Light, Logan Mankins etc.

If we do anything in FA I think we should address the OL, preferably at OT since experience matters a great deal and since Cutler is so valuable.

Yeah, we have enough cap space to do a heck of a whole lot, but wasting money is what free agent mistakes are about. Everyone understands you will overpay for free agents, but its when they dont produce that it really kicks you in the nads.

Any free agent signings should be done frugally, and with a lot of research and thought. Not making rash decisions to fill holes.

Im thinking the trade route is going to be another route Denver pursues with some vigor. Foxworth is rated the third best available corner, and Im wondering with the emergence of Paymah whether Denver is considering getting value for Foxy while they can.

A possibility.

Dean
01-12-2008, 04:02 PM
Until the Broncos defensive line in particular defensive tackle is given some real talent I don't see big changes in our won/loss record. It was not our offense that was rated in the bottom of the league in nearly every catagory.

Unless the defense is repaired, we will need an offense that can deliver 30+ points a game.

MHCBill
01-14-2008, 03:31 PM
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

WRONG

topscribe
01-14-2008, 04:13 PM
Until the Broncos defensive line in particular defensive tackle is given some real talent I don't see big changes in our won/loss record. It was not our offense that was rated in the bottom of the league in nearly every catagory.

Unless the defense is repaired, we will need an offense that can deliver 30+ points a game.

BOOYAH!! :2thumbs:

-----

Traveler
01-14-2008, 04:20 PM
According to Bowlen, Denver won't be major players in FA. He mentioned that from this point forward, the team should have an 80-20 ratio, draft to FA.

That equates to maybe 1-2 FA being signed. And with Wlaker probably being a huge cap hit, my guess is the draft will provide us more players than free agents.

BOSSHOGG30
01-14-2008, 04:24 PM
According to Bowlen, Denver won't be major players in FA. He mentioned that from this point forward, the team should have an 80-20 ratio, draft to FA.

That equates to maybe 1-2 FA being signed. And with Wlaker probably being a huge cap hit, my guess is the draft will provide us more players than free agents.

I'm glad it only took him this long to figure it out. :elefant:

He needs to learn to look ahead as well. Why sign Travis Henry when you know that 2008 will be filled with awesome runningback talent? He also needs to stop taking so many risk on injury prone players as well as players with off the field problems.... That ratio should be about 80-20 as well.

Lonestar
01-14-2008, 09:13 PM

He needs to learn to look ahead as well. Why sign Travis Henry when you know that 2008 will be filled with awesome runningback talent? He also needs to stop taking so many risk on injury prone players as well as players with off the field problems.... That ratio should be about 80-20 as well.

I still think we will go after the old standby as UDFA, just not as many UFA..

Perhaps after time we can start having salary cap issues as being able to buy a good one. instead of every year going to the Vets and asking them to re-do their contract because we are capped out..

He wanted to have Thenry to make a huge run this past year..

TXBRONC
01-14-2008, 09:53 PM

In the long run we'll be better off by making drafting the higher priority.

xzn
01-15-2008, 01:01 PM
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

WRONG

:welcome:

What's with the large font friend? In any case I dispute your (not) very eloquently stated point.

A cursory look at the Patriots rosters from '01 to the present shows that Light and Ashworth were acquired in '01, Mankins is a draft pick. They got rid of Damien Woody who was the biggest name. No one ever heard of Andruzzi before the Pats started him.

I just read a biography of Brady over the holiday and I know what I'm talking about. Brady didn't have the luxury of a bunch of high priced Free Agents nor did he have a proven veteran offensive line in front of him.

So, before you go writing barely articulate responses in unnecessarily large fonts perhaps you should do a little fact checking. Just a thought.... :cool:

~X~

G_Money
01-15-2008, 01:24 PM

Maybe he's also looking at Marshall, Scheffler, Dumervil and co and thinking "I should probably save some cap space to sign those kids in a coupla years..."

But draft success is critical. Hopefully last year is the LAST year we flush picks for no reason other than Sundquist didn't want to be bothered trying to find real players on the second day.

~G

BOSSHOGG30
01-17-2008, 01:28 PM
OL

Ruben Brown, UFA, Chicago Bears
Alan Faneca, UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers
Flozell Adams, UFA, Dallas Cowboys
Jordan Gross, UFA, Carolina Panthers
Ryan Lilja, UFA, Indianapolis Colts
Max Starks, UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers
Floyd Womack, UFA, Seattle Seahawks
Jake Scott, UFA, Indianapolis Colts
Todd Steussie UFA St. Louis Rams
Travelle Wharton UFA Carolina Panthers

2nd Tier

OG P.J. Alexander UFA Atlanta Falcons
OT Nat Dorsey UFA Cleveland Browns
OT Trai Essex RFA Pittsburgh Steelers
OG Chris Kemoeatu RFA Pittsburgh Steelers
OT Cory Lekkerkerker RFA San Diego Chargers
OT Sean Locklear UFA Seattle Seahawks
OG Brian Rimpf RFA Baltimore Ravens
OG Keydrick Vincent UFA Baltimore Ravens
OG Fred Weary UFA Houston Texans

DL

Jared Allen, UFA, Kansas City Chiefs
Albert Haynesworth, UFA, Tennessee Titans
Justin Smith, UFA, Cincinnati Bengals
Terrell Suggs, UFA, Baltimore Ravens
Mike Rucker, UFA, Carolina Panthers
Tommy Kelly UFA Oakland Raiders
Corey Williams, UFA, Green Bay Packers

2nd Tier

Jordan Carstens UFA Carolina Panthers
Ebenezer Ekuban UFA Denver Broncos
Sam Rayburn UFA San Francisco 49ers
Paul Spicer UFA Jacksonville Jaguars
Randy Starks UFA Tennessee Titans
Renaldo Wynn UFA Washington Redskins

LB's

Lance Briggs, UFA, Chicago Bears
Tedy Bruschi, UFA, New England Patriots
Karlos Dansby, UFA, Arizona Cardinals
Demorrio Williams, UFA, Atlanta Falcons
Boss Bailey, UFA, Detroit Lions
Danny Clark UFA Houston Texans
Kawika Mitchell UFA New York Giants
Mark Simoneau UFA New Orleans Saints

2nd Tier

Jordan Beck RFA Atlanta Falcons
Kevin Bentley UFA Seattle Seahawks
Darryl Blackstock RFA Arizona Cardinals
Brandon Chillar UFA St. Louis Rams
Na'il Diggs UFA Carolina Panthers
Landon Johnson UFA Cincinnati Bengals
Teddy Lehman UFA Detroit Lions
Lemar Marshall UFA Washington Redskins
Sam Williams UFA Oakland Raiders

DB's

Asante Samuel, UFA, New England Patriots
Mike Doss, UFA, Minnesota Vikings
Domonique Foxworth, RFA, Denver Broncos
Drayton Florence, UFA, San Diego Chargers
Randall Gay UFA New England Patriots
Marcus Trufant, UFA, Seattle Seahawks
Ken Hamlin, UFA, Dallas Cowboys
Gibril Wilson UFA New York Giants

2nd Tier Cornerbacks

Chris Carr RFA Oakland Raiders
Tory James UFA New England Patriots
Karl Paymah RFA Denver Broncos
B.J. Sams UFA Baltimore Ravens
Chad Scott UFA New England Patriots

2nd Tier Safety's

William Bartee UFA Kansas City Chiefs
Jay Bellamy UFA New Orleans Saints
Omar Stoutmire UFA Washington Redskins
Derrick Strait UFA Carolina Panthers
Gibril Wilson UFA New York Giants

PUNTER'S
Jeff Feagles UFA New York Giants
Scott Player UFA Arizona Cardinals
Todd Sauerbrun UFA Denver Broncos

EMB6903
01-17-2008, 02:34 PM
The key to Shanahan getting 10 wins or more in 2008, will be to address the OFFENSIVE LINE in Free Agency!!! Rather Shanny is stubborn enough to continue to allow his Franchise QB play behind an unproven offensive line this season remains to be seen. If Shanny elects to go with an unproven OFFENSIVE LINE, he not only risks injury to Cutler, but this move could actually get him fired at the end of this season.

Spend the money in FA and sign "Faneca, Starks, and Jordan Goss to solidify the O Line with proven veterans. This will allow guys like Pears, and Harris (who is coming off 2 consecutive years of back injuries) to get stronger and develop his skills, so that in 2 or 3 years perhaps we will all know whether if Harris, Pears, and our other young O-linemen are truly the answer!

Everything hinges on significantly upgrading the O-Line! If you want to protect Cutler and allow him time to throw the ball.....bring in Faneca, Starks, Goss, add Hamilton, and Nalen......then Denver would have a legitimate veteran O-Line!!! Who knows, perhaps Cutler will have the same protection that Manning and Brady has.

The 2008 season will hinge upon what Denver can do to vastly and immediately update their offensive line! Hopefully, Shanahan has realized you win in the trenches (hence the horrible execution in the Red Zone), and will take the steps thru FA to sign Faneca (Steelers), Starks (Titans I believe) and Jordan Gross (Panthers). Thats right Mike....ya gotta open your wallet! and make sure should Faneca, Gross and Starks come to Denver for a LOOK AROUND, "THEY DON'T LEAVE DENVER" w/o signing a contract!!!

Should the Broncos manage to have Gross, Starks, Nalen, Faneca, and Hamilton in the starting rotation in 2008.......the woes of the O Line will be solved. Throw in a bigger/heavier athletic lead blocking Fullback (Like Owen Schmitt!), and Denver will return to having one of the better O Lines in the NFL, and have one of higher percentages of Red Zone successes.

Facts are, Pears, Kuper, Meyers, Holland, and Harris are not ready to start and Denver should not gamble with the 2008 season and Cutler's health with the afore mentioned player, hoping these guys are the answer!

Denver has the right players at QB, WR, TE, and RB too really score more points IF the O line can be upgraded with impact-full veterans thru FA. If Nalen can comeback from injuries along with Hamilton, Denver can put points on the board at the rate of 31-38 points per game.

If Denver's offense can score at this rate, the Broncos can win 6 more games in 2008! Winning 6 more games in 2008 will give 12 or 13 wins. That should soothe the Bronco fateful. Point is the Offense holds the keys to allow Slowick to get his act together of building a top 5 Defensive unit in two years.

Shanahan's sanity, confidence, and perhaps his future in Denver hinges upon HOW well offense scores in the Red Zone.

Cutler's health and further development and ascendancy to a top 5 NFL QB....all hinges on a vastly upgraded and improved OFFENSIVE LINE IN 2008.

I really wish it was that easy, I'd love Fanaca or Gross here though, I think they would definately help this offensive line. but theres no way we get both.

G_Money
01-17-2008, 03:06 PM
I really like what Faneca brings at guard, but I just think our tackle concerns are more pressing. Kuper and Holland don't depress me at guard - I think they'll be fine once we get Myers out of there for either Nalen or Hamilton.

Jordan Gross is my #1 target in the offseason, simply because he can play either LT or RT well, depending on what we need. Let Harris compete with Kuper for the RT spot, but PLEASE don't go into the season with unknown quantities at both OT positions. You're just asking for an injury to Cutler that way.

If we don't get a tackle in FA, we better draft a good one. Drafting Clady would be a good way to shut me up about having missed out on Gross. Hopefully we'd get a 2nd day center to start training to replace Nalen, too.

~G

BOSSHOGG30
01-17-2008, 03:18 PM
I really like what Faneca brings at guard, but I just think our tackle concerns are more pressing. Kuper and Holland don't depress me at guard - I think they'll be fine once we get Myers out of there for either Nalen or Hamilton.

Jordan Gross is my #1 target in the offseason, simply because he can play either LT or RT well, depending on what we need. Let Harris compete with Kuper for the RT spot, but PLEASE don't go into the season with unknown quantities at both OT positions. You're just asking for an injury to Cutler that way.

If we don't get a tackle in FA, we better draft a good one. Drafting Clady would be a good way to shut me up about having missed out on Gross. Hopefully we'd get a 2nd day center to start training to replace Nalen, too.

~G

I don't think we get Gross... I posted something in the Other teams forum in the League Rumors and News Thread, but it said that the Panthers top priority is to sign Jordan Gross and if he does hit the open market he would demand more than 7 million a season.

HolyDiver
01-17-2008, 03:43 PM
I guess I'm about the only one who thinks Myers will be just fine at Center.

G_Money
01-17-2008, 03:45 PM
That sounds about right. We have that to give him, too, if he's the only major FA we sign.

Last year the Bills signed GUARD Derrick Dockery at 7 years/$49 mill, with an $8 mill bonus and $18.5 guaranteed, I believe.

They got waste-of-space tackle Langston Walker from the Raiders for 5 years/$25 mill with a $5 mill signing bonus.

Signing up Jordan Gross for 7 years and $49 mill at his age is fine with me. That's actually pretty fair based on the 50+ million contracts OL are getting. Their value is finally coming up in the open market across the board, so we have to pick the FA one we want wisely.

It's my fear that Carolina might franchise him if they can't come to terms just to pull him off the market, but we'll see. If he hits the market I want us in on the bidding. And it's always possible Wharton hits the market if the Panthers spend their bones on Gross, isn't it? I can't see them keeping both guys.

If we don't get a good OT, then we'd better grab Clady or somebody in the draft, post-haste. It's a need we can't ignore any longer.

~G

G_Money
01-17-2008, 03:47 PM

Probably.

I simply don't think he's strong enough at the position. He's a fine backup who is an adequate stop-gap, but Kuper and/or Holland had to cover for him against bigger guys this year, and that hurt everybody.

We need a center with some punch who can move a guy back in the middle - I didn't see Myers as that guy this year.

~G

BOSSHOGG30
01-17-2008, 03:50 PM

Yeah, until we get in short yardage situations. We need a few more maulers... Holland was probably our best lineman last season and he showed that you don't have to be 290 pounds to play in the Broncos scheme.

topscribe
01-17-2008, 05:16 PM

No, there are at least two of us.

Myers is 300 lbs., which is pretty decent for a center. He took over and did a
credible job for never having played there as a pro. It seems some of us have
no clue what it is to be a first year player at a given position, and how first
year players will struggle.

Lepsis, for example, was considered one of the better LTs in the league before
this last year. Anyone remember his first year at that position? He was miserable.

-----

xzn
01-18-2008, 03:12 PM
When and how will we know that Nalen and Hamilton are returning? Is there some kind of deadline that once it is passed we will have a pretty good idea that they are not being cut, retiring placed on PUP etc. ??

omac
01-18-2008, 09:30 PM
No, there are at least two of us.

Myers is 300 lbs., which is pretty decent for a center. He took over and did a
credible job for never having played there as a pro. It seems some of us have
no clue what it is to be a first year player at a given position, and how first
year players will struggle.

Lepsis, for example, was considered one of the better LTs in the league before
this last year. Anyone remember his first year at that position? He was miserable.

-----

There was a great article posted somewhere around here that disected the offensive line, and showed how much weaker at penetrating were the Broncos with Myers as opposed to Nalen. That leads me to believe we need a much stronger guy than Myres there when Nalen retires.

omac
01-18-2008, 09:32 PM
When and how will we know that Nalen and Hamilton are returning? Is there some kind of deadline that once it is passed we will have a pretty good idea that they are not being cut, retiring placed on PUP etc. ??

Great question! :salute: The sooner they make their decision, the sooner the Broncos can move forward for next season.

Lonestar
01-18-2008, 09:58 PM

Great question! :salute: The sooner they make their decision, the sooner the Broncos can move forward for next season.

In mikeys EOY press conference he said they would be sitting down with all players to talk about the future and particularly with John L, Thenry and walker because of injuries they had this year and salary issues.

I'd guess the position coaches they had last year would do this, IF they are still around when it happens.