PDA

View Full Version : Turn Orton Loose!!

UnderArmour
11-12-2009, 07:33 AM
As we've all noticed, Orton has been bad the last two games against solid run defenses. The problem? The lack of a running game obviously, but something else. In Chicago, Desmond Clark and Greg Olsen were there to alleviate pressure and serve as safety blankets for Orton to check down to. In Denver? 3 receiver sets. Chicago ran 2 TE sets practically every series last year because their receivers sucked so bad.

We have the personnel to run 2 TE sets effectively. Daniel Graham and Tony Scheffler are good TEs. Why not put Orton in his comfort zone and line up these two targets? The result will turn out great, better than having 3 WRs in the game. Opposing defenses, hell our defense in the past, has a hard time covering TEs. Why not make use of our talent at that position and let Orton work in his comfort zone? Not to mention, using TEs more effectively takes pressure off Marshall and Royal.

By just using the talent on the roster, the Broncos could be an even better football team. Orton isn't a bad quarterback, he's just adjusting to the fact he has good receivers now. But just because he has good receivers doesn't mean he shouldn't have the option to go back to his Tight Ends. Generally speaking, TEs do better in short yardage situations than WRs yet Denver doesn't seem to dial up Graham or Scheffer on 3rd downs very much. And on first down? Rarely.

So it's simple:
Turn Orton loose!! Orton to Scheffler. Orton to Graham. Touchdown.

gobroncsnv
11-12-2009, 07:48 AM
I don't remember Scheff's name even being MENTIONED on the game on Monday. Really had trouble understanding that one.

claymore
11-12-2009, 08:55 AM
I don't remember Scheff's name even being MENTIONED on the game on Monday. Really had trouble understanding that one.

He caught a couple of passes. Im all for turning Orton loose, if it doesnt work then turn Simms loose.

I have a real problem with the play calling and this offense. JMCD is trying to do something that we are not equipped to do.

This team was built for the ZBS. We all know it. Its not a run from the shotgun team. Our line went from top 5 to shit over night.

Dirk
11-12-2009, 09:14 AM
This team was built for the ZBS. We all know it. Its not a run from the shotgun team. Our line went from top 5 to shit over night.

Pittsburgh is the number 1 rushing defense and Baltimore is the number 7. :coffee:

claymore
11-12-2009, 09:27 AM
Pittsburgh is the number 1 rushing defense and Baltimore is the number 7. :coffee:

So? :confused:

broncofaninfla
11-12-2009, 09:29 AM
I agree, turn him loose and lets see what he's got. I'd love to eat crow and see Orton kick *ss.

red98
11-12-2009, 09:31 AM

And going into the Pitt game Denver was number 2.

claymore
11-12-2009, 09:32 AM
We have 4 rushing td's in 8 games.

Dreadnought
11-12-2009, 09:35 AM
We have 4 rushing td's in 8 games.

See now, admit it Clay -

Tatum Bell+Peyton Hillis in a ZBS would have been better than what we are using now. Never ever pick a RB with a #1 pick.

claymore
11-12-2009, 09:39 AM
See now, admit it Clay -

Tatum Bell+Peyton Hillis in a ZBS would have been better than what we are using now. Never ever pick a RB with a #1 pick.

I like Moreno, and I would have taken him as well, but I damn sure wouldnt have taken him if the idea was to run from the shotgun, and install the Patriots offense from the get go.

Regardless of our coach or whatever, Ive always hated that offense, its so boring to watch (to me).

Dreadnought
11-12-2009, 09:43 AM
I like Moreno, and I would have taken him as well, but I damn sure wouldnt have taken him if the idea was to run from the shotgun, and install the Patriots offense from the get go.

Regardless of our coach or whatever, Ive always hated that offense, its so boring to watch (to me).

Oh its definitely up there with watching paint dry, I agree. Not only that it only really works when its being used to set up the Long Ball anyways - which it can do effectively with the right QB and right play calling.

claymore
11-12-2009, 09:49 AM
Oh its definitely up there with watching paint dry, I agree. Not only that it only really works when its being used to set up the Long Ball anyways - which it can do effectively with the right QB and right play calling.

One handed Randy Moss catches dont hurt!

Dirk
11-12-2009, 09:58 AM
My point about the rushing defenses was that those 2 games that we lost was because we couldn't run to set up any passes.

The main 2 problems are the O-line as mentioned many times isn't set up for anything other than a ZBS and the running plays called.

I think to be successful running with this O-line there needs to be plenty of runs to the outside. Toss the ball off to the outside not run it up the gut.

claymore
11-12-2009, 10:10 AM
My point about the rushing defenses was that those 2 games that we lost was because we couldn't run to set up any passes.

The main 2 problems are the O-line as mentioned many times isn't set up for anything other than a ZBS and the running plays called.

I think to be successful running with this O-line there needs to be plenty of runs to the outside. Toss the ball off to the outside not run it up the gut.

We had 4 Rushing TD's all year, its not only Baltimore, or Pitt, its our offense.

I dont think our backs are fast enough to run to the outside. Plus our passing offense has zero respect.

We dont really do anything very well on offense. We cant sustain Drives against good teams, and our Defense is to old to be on the field as long as they have been the last two weeks.

IMO, we need to start producing on offense. Our defense will only get worse if they are not rewarded with productive play by the offense.

broncofaninfla
11-12-2009, 10:17 AM
It's a pipe dream I know but to have last years offense with this years defense...........

Mike
11-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Go back to ZBS until McD gets the size needed at guard and center. At least give Hillis a shot...can't be any worse than what we have seen the last two games.

claymore
It's a pipe dream I know but to have last years offense with this years defense...........

Oh noes.......

claymore
Go back to ZBS until McD gets the size needed at guard and center. At least give Hillis a shot...can't be any worse than what we have seen the last two games.

We might need a more mobile QB? Serious question.....

Dreadnought
11-12-2009, 10:22 AM
Oh noes.......

:lol: prepare for heads to explode in 5...4...3...2...1...

Mike
11-12-2009, 10:22 AM

Outside of the first few games last year, the Broncos offense struggled as well.

claymore
11-12-2009, 10:23 AM
:lol: prepare for heads to explode in 5...4...3...2...1...

When I read it, it was like a waiter spilled a whole thing of dishes. I agree with BF but, I know the in fighting that will ensue.

Dreadnought
11-12-2009, 10:25 AM
Outside of the first few games last year, the Broncos offense struggled as well.

True to an extent, but we also lost every single RB on the roster by the time all was said and done.

claymore
11-12-2009, 10:29 AM

Not this bad, not near this bad. Best stat to look at was 3rd down percentage...... we aere a frog hair short of 50%. tops in the league.

We do not do ANYTHING well in this offense.

KCL
11-12-2009, 10:39 AM
I hear Larry Johnson is a free agent clay.

claymore
11-12-2009, 10:40 AM
I hear Larry Johnson is a free agent clay.

Can he play guard, RT, or QB? Because that is our issue,.

Dreadnought
11-12-2009, 10:40 AM
Not this bad, not near this bad. Best stat to look at was 3rd down percentage...... we aere a frog hair short of 50%. tops in the league.

We do not do ANYTHING well in this offense.

Agreed, apart from not committing turnovers. We also didn't benefit last year from defensive and return TD's (Pitt., SD x2), or short field TD's generated by forcing a turnover. Hence another good part of why we generated lots of yards but not as many points as we should have

KCL
11-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Can he play guard, RT, or QB? Because that is our issue,.

Doubtful

Dreadnought
11-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Doubtful

You don't know that. Have you watched Ben Hamilton the past couple of weeks? LJ might be an upgrade. Mitch Berger might be an upgrade.

TXBRONC
11-12-2009, 11:59 AM

Not like this Mike.

topscribe
11-12-2009, 12:04 PM
He caught a couple of passes. Im all for turning Orton loose, if it doesnt work then turn Simms loose.

I have a real problem with the play calling and this offense. JMCD is trying to do something that we are not equipped to do.

Finally, something on which we agree: the (lack of a) running game . . .

-----