PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton- Our voices may have been heard.

GEM
11-11-2009, 05:55 PM
According to News4's Gary Miller twitter:

Hochstein running with first team during Bronco practice we get to watch. Ben Hamilton with second unit. Could be a changing of the guard.

MHCBill
11-11-2009, 05:56 PM
Who was practicing punting?

GEM
11-11-2009, 05:58 PM

The Grim Reaper...he wreaks havoc when coffin kicking. :D

SOCALORADO.
11-11-2009, 06:03 PM

Elway....poochin it.

Nomad
11-11-2009, 06:08 PM
I read this at BM....thanks to Broncosojia!!

Forfeit the game Join Date: Mar 2008

Hamilton being benched?
http://gazettebroncos.freedombloggin...ft-guard/1819/

Quote:
During the period of practice that is open to the media, Russ Hochstein took repetitions with the starting offense during individual work, while Ben Hamilton worked with the second team. No announcement has been made on a starting lineup change and the Broncos' official depth chart still lists Hamilton as the starter, so a move has not been made official. However, when the Broncos' first-team line was working as a unit, Hochstein was the left guard.
If the Broncos do decide to make a change, it would be a first for Hamilton - he has never come off the bench. He has started all 103 of his NFL games. Hamilton is the longest tenured Broncos player, and has been with the team three years longer than anyone else on the current roster. Hamilton was a 2001 draft pick. The Broncos have struggled on offense lately, especially in the running game. Hamilton had a crucial holding penalty on a fourth-down completion to Brandon Stokley on Monday night against Pittsburgh.
Hochstein was acquired in a trade with New England during the preseason. He filled in for Hamilton against Dallas when Hamilton had a hamstring injury.

If this happens it won't come as a shocker

ikillz0mbies
11-11-2009, 06:09 PM
That's one down. Mitch Berger is next.

Dean
11-11-2009, 06:59 PM
I was/am a Ben Hamilton fan. He has been awsome in run blocking in the ZBS in past years but he isn't getting the job done this year. Maybe it is the change of scheme. Maybe he is hurt. Who knows but it is time to try someone else. Maybe Hockstein can't do the job either but the team has got to make every attempt to put a thumb in the dike to prevent a flood.

LRtagger
11-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Yea forgot to tell you guys I sent my petition to coach the other day.

You can all thank me when KnoMo has 150 yards rushing this weekend :cool:

Dean
11-11-2009, 07:46 PM
Yea forgot to tell you guys I sent my petition to coach the other day.

You can all thank me when KnoMo has 150 yards rushing this weekend :cool:

We are not playing Buffalo. :D

broken12
11-11-2009, 07:46 PM
how about hillis....time to let him tote the rock for a change the other two arent cutting it.....

broncohead
11-11-2009, 07:53 PM
how about hillis....time to let him tote the rock for a change the other two arent cutting it.....

There hasn't been holes for them to run through...

Tned
11-11-2009, 08:36 PM
I was/am a Ben Hamilton fan. He has been awsome in run blocking in the ZBS in past years but he isn't getting the job done this year. Maybe it is the change of scheme. Maybe he is hurt. Who knows but it is time to try someone else. Maybe Hockstein can't do the job either but the team has got to make every attempt to put a thumb in the dike to prevent a flood.

My thoughts exactly. I REALLY hate to see this, because Hamilton has done a good job for us. However, I think the move from the ZBS has really hurt him. I really expected to see Hochstein take over after halftime of the Baltimore game, so this move isn't suprising me.

LordTrychon
11-11-2009, 08:46 PM
Yes... thank goodness for us. What would the staff do without? :laugh:

;)

Superchop 7
11-11-2009, 08:48 PM
Hamilton- mission accomplished

Berger- For God sakes just TRY Colquitt will ya !!

Orton-- Woody Paige wants us to try Simms.....OK BY ME !!

Hillis-- Let him run PLEASE !!

dogfish
11-12-2009, 02:17 AM
Broncos make o-line change

The longest-tenured Bronco has been bumped from the starting lineup.

Ben Hamilton, who has been with team since he was drafted in 2001, has been replaced at left guard by Russ Hochstein, who was acquired in August in a trade with New England.

Hochstein was with the first-team during the portion of Wednesday’s practice that was open to the media.

Should the move stick through the rest of the week, Hamilton will miss his first start in which he is healthy since 2002. He did not play at all in 2007 because of a concussion.

per the denver post

http://football.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=football&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.profootballtalk.com%2Frumormil l.htm

'bout damn time-- sorry ben, but it needed to happen. . . i'm glad to see that the coaching staff is actively working to correct some of our problems, and this was an obvious place to start-- hopefully this will help us get our running game going a little bit. . . and it sends a nice message that you have to go out there and keep earning your spot if you want to keep it. . . .

shank
11-12-2009, 02:21 AM
hopefully this will help, but i remember hochstein gettin pushed around pretty bad on monday night as well.

dogfish
11-12-2009, 02:30 AM
hopefully this will help, but i remember hochstein gettin pushed around pretty bad on monday night as well.

yea, i'm certainly not under the illusion that he's a world-beater or anything, but i still like the move-- when something's clearly not working, game after game, at least give somebody else a chance to see if they can do it better. . . if nothing else, hochstein gives us some more size in there, and he's familiar with the scheme since he came from new england. . . we'll see how it works out, but i think it's probably a position we'll be looking to upgrade in the offseason. . . .

Lonestar
11-12-2009, 02:54 AM
well Hamilton has been playing on roller skates ever since mike and Hummer put this pocket passing system in effect in the start of 2006 he simply is not big enough to keep the really big DT/NT out of the pocket area for drop back passers.. the days of 285+ pound Linemen are done.. if you can't get up to 305 or more with out laying the fat on then plan on being a back up..

SoCalImport
11-12-2009, 06:48 AM
well Hamilton has been playing on roller skates ever since mike and Hummer put this pocket passing system in effect in the start of 2006 he simply is not big enough to keep the really big DT/NT out of the pocket area for drop back passers.. the days of 285+ pound Linemen are done.. if you can't get up to 305 or more with out laying the fat on then plan on being a back up..

Hochstein goes 6'4, 304 so in theory he should be tougher to move than Hamilton.

You're right about Hamilton looking bad for a few years now. Aside from being undersized, He can't rely on being faster than the next guy nearly as much as when Zone Blocking was everything in Denver.

Fan in Exile
11-12-2009, 10:46 AM
I'm hoping this will help out because haynesworth could really cause us problems on Sunday.

TXBRONC
11-12-2009, 11:20 AM
yea, i'm certainly not under the illusion that he's a world-beater or anything, but i still like the move-- when something's clearly not working, game after game, at least give somebody else a chance to see if they can do it better. . . if nothing else, hochstein gives us some more size in there, and he's familiar with the scheme since he came from new england. . . we'll see how it works out, but i think it's probably a position we'll be looking to upgrade in the offseason. . . .

Russ Hochstein is a journeyman so I don't see him as long term solution.

NightTrainLayne
11-12-2009, 11:32 AM

I have thought that Hochstein has looked good when he's come in as a tight-end and then pulled and trapped on some plays, especially earlier in the season.

Maybe he will help in the run game with the pulls and traps. He certainly can't be any worse at pass protection. .. .I don't think.

Timmy!
11-12-2009, 11:34 AM
I have thought that Hochstein has looked good when he's come in as a tight-end and then pulled and trapped on some plays, especially earlier in the season.

Maybe he will help in the run game with the pulls and traps. He certainly can't be any worse at pass protection. .. .I don't think.

Not unless he's wearing rollerskates.

Requiem / The Dagda
11-12-2009, 12:40 PM
Hochstein isn't a long term solution and it's evident that Hamilton doesn't translate well to some of the new blocking the team is doing. Seth Olsen isn't ready, but he can step in the guard spot Kuper doesn't fill when he is ready. Getting back Ryan Harris, whenever he comes back will help too. I'm a little iffy on our depth and quality on the interior portion of our line. For guard, the draft has some interesting prospects, Idaho's Iupati would be an excellent addition. A mauler, 330+ pounds -- just a beast.

NightTrainLayne
11-12-2009, 12:42 PM
Hochstein isn't a long term solution and it's evident that Hamilton doesn't translate well to some of the new blocking the team is doing. Seth Olsen isn't ready, but he can step in the guard spot Kuper doesn't fill when he is ready. Getting back Ryan Harris, whenever he comes back will help too. I'm a little iffy on our depth and quality on the interior portion of our line. For guard, the draft has some interesting prospects, Idaho's Iupati would be an excellent addition. A mauler, 330+ pounds -- just a beast.

A 330 lb guard? I know nothing about him, but is he mobile enough to do all the pulling and trapping that McD obviously likes to do?

Requiem / The Dagda
11-12-2009, 01:12 PM
Definitely mobile enough.

Ravage!!!
11-12-2009, 01:19 PM
weird that after last year, that OL is now a concern. Seems like just yesterday we were talking about having the best OL in the NFL.

CoachChaz
11-12-2009, 01:20 PM

I put my thumb in a dike once. Boy did that piss her off

CoachChaz
11-12-2009, 01:20 PM
A 330 lb guard? I know nothing about him, but is he mobile enough to do all the pulling and trapping that McD obviously likes to do?

Yes he is.

Buff
11-12-2009, 02:25 PM
Mark Schlereth was on 1043 the fan with Sandy Clough a couple nights ago and he was saying that he thinks Hamilton must be hurt. He said something to the effect of "I remember what it was like being hurt and not having full range of movement, and to me, something is clearly wrong with Hamilton. But if he's playing hurt, he still has to play well."

LRtagger
11-12-2009, 02:58 PM
Not sure if this was already mentioned or not...but Hamilton will be a FA this offseason. Surely he will not be picked up by Denver again...his career may be over after this season.

GEM
11-12-2009, 03:50 PM
Not sure if this was already mentioned or not...but Hamilton will be a FA this offseason. Surely he will not be picked up by Denver again...his career may be over after this season.

Isn't Washington running the ZBS? They have needs on oline, maybe he can find a home.

GEM
11-12-2009, 03:52 PM

Well, pulls and traps are McDaniels baby, didn't he say? One of the main reasons we stepped away from the ZBS.

Brand
11-12-2009, 06:01 PM
He could end up in Chokeland. Hamilton was a member of a very fine Oline last year. He seems to be a victim of a change in schemes rather than being a "dog" as some here have pegged him to be. He is not the 300 pound G that the McDaniels' O needs, but I think he would be very productive in the Texans or Faids systems.

I could see the Broncos going for the big Olinmen and the big Dlinemen in the draft and FA next year. IMHO, that was the main issue for the lasat two games.....

Ravage!!!
11-12-2009, 07:04 PM
He could end up in Chokeland. Hamilton was a member of a very fine Oline last year. He seems to be a victim of a change in schemes rather than being a "dog" as some here have pegged him to be. He is not the 300 pound G that the McDaniels' O needs, but I think he would be very productive in the Texans or Faids systems.

I could see the Broncos going for the big Olinmen and the big Dlinemen in the draft and FA next year. IMHO, that was the main issue for the lasat two games.....

Oakland, GB, Atlanta, Houston... all good examples of teams that are running the ZBS. I know there are several others. Like you said, he was pretty good last year.

TXBRONC
11-12-2009, 07:42 PM

I would still like to see Denver get top flight nose tackle in the next draft.

TXBRONC
11-12-2009, 07:43 PM
Oakland, GB, Atlanta, Houston... all good examples of teams that are running the ZBS. I know there are several others. Like you said, he was pretty good last year.

I don't think Hamilton washed up it just at 290lbs he's not big enough to do a lot of drive blocking. So if he is released one of the many teams that run a zone blocking scheme will pick him up.

rcsodak
11-12-2009, 07:53 PM
Russ Hochstein is a journeyman so I don't see him as long term solution.

LMAO! Tell me, Tx...what's your definition of a "journeyman"?

TXBRONC
11-12-2009, 07:56 PM
Isn't Washington running the ZBS? They have needs on oline, maybe he can find a home.

I don't think they are.

rcsodak
11-12-2009, 08:26 PM
I don't think Hamilton washed up it just at 290lbs he's not big enough to do a lot of drive blocking. So if he is released one of the many teams that run a zone blocking scheme will pick him up.

So is 300# some magic number? Because I highly doubt a measly 14# difference is really all that differs between Hock/Ham.

Hamilton was considered one of the best ZB guards out there. Some said his 'turtle move' was unequaled. Seems to me that he simply is struggling with the 'new' scheme, which can happen to ANYbody.

rcsodak
11-12-2009, 08:31 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- A struggling Denver Broncos offense will start Russ Hochstein at left guard on Sunday at Washington in place of longtime veteran Ben Hamilton.

The move was made as the Broncos try to ignite a stagnant offense, which has scored just one touchdown in back-to-back losses to Baltimore and Pittsburgh.

"We'll always evaluate everybody," coach Josh McDaniels said Thursday. "If there's something we feel may give us a better opportunity to have success -- wherever it may be -- then we would not be opposed to doing anything. We're going to see how that goes, evaluate it ongoing."

AFC West blog

Williamson ESPN.com's Bill Williamson writes about all things AFC West in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

Hochstein has shown his versatility since being acquired in an August trade from New England. He's filled in at right guard when Chris Kuper hurt his ankle and on the left side when Hamilton was out with a hamstring injury against Dallas. Hochstein also began the Pittsburgh game at tight end and has lined up in the backfield in short-yardage situations.

"Whenever I'm called upon, I try to work as hard as I can," he said. "I'm eager to help any way I can."

Hochstein's flexibility was one of the reasons he was brought in, along with his familiarity with McDaniels' style of offense dating back to their days together with the Patriots.

"We feel like he'll be competitive in there and we'll see how it goes," McDaniels said.

Hochstein will have his hands full Sunday when he sees a steady dose of Albert Haynesworth, the enormous anchor of the Redskins' defensive front.

"Whew, the guy's a great player," said Hochstein, a ninth-year player out of the University of Nebraska. "A very physical presence."

Outside of missing the 2007 season with concussion symptoms, Hamilton has started every game -- when healthy -- with Denver since 2002. He came out of the Oakland game on Sept. 27 with a hamstring injury and then sat out the following week, Hochstein stepping in on each occasion.

Hamilton is a holdover from the old regime, when the team ran a zone-blocking scheme under then-coach Mike Shanahan.

Still, Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy thought Hamilton and the other linemen who were groomed on that way of blocking were making a quick transition.

"I think they've done a great job up front, adapting to what we do," McCoy said. "We have plenty of things in there that they've done in the past. We've put a few different types of plays in there, scheme plays, maybe they haven't run as much. But they've bought into what we're doing and done a nice job."

Lately, the Broncos have been struggling in the running game. Correll Buckhalter and rookie Knowshon Moreno combined to gain just 27 yards on 14 carries against Pittsburgh on Monday.

In the wake of that, Hochstein is replacing Hamilton.

"This is not an anointment of anybody or anything tremendously negative about Ben Hamilton," McDaniels said. "We're just going to see if this makes the situation any better. If it does, great. We'll always do what's best for our team. If this can help us, we'll be happy with it."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4648816