PDA

View Full Version : Woody Paige + Tar + Feathers

Kick_It_High09
11-11-2009, 12:16 PM
Hi Everyone. I'm new ... Came here because I am doing a slow boil over Woody Paige's article "Who's Stadium Is This Anyway?" The fact that it was all he could crank out of his old fountain pen ... was one thing... but when I read it, it was sent by a friend in Pittsburgh, who had to rub it in.

A [lazy] Pittsburgh Post Gazette writer relaxed his brain, and used the article for his masterpiece after our loss to the Steelers on Monday. But, I guess that's part of the joy of winning. (:rolleyes:)

http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/bobsmizik/default.aspx

I think this was a pathetic move by Woody Paige, and a worse one by Pitts. Press.
I feel it showed a total lack of CLASS by both newspapers.

Also, I might add, some of those 'Steeler Fans' may be season ticket holders here, because many have moved to CO. to better themselves. I'll betcha' on other game days, these are some Denverites who dress in Orange and Blue. :listen: (Just thinkin' ....)

I guess "If you can't say something nice" doesn't hold when the gloves come off! LOL :salute:

Just needed to vent. I'm glad I found this forum ... Nice Job!:coffee:

topscribe
11-11-2009, 12:33 PM
Welcome to Broncos Forums!! :welcome:

Regarding Woody: It's not his fault 20,000 Steelers fans infested our stadium.
His complaint, actually, should echo ours. This is supposed to be a home game.
Those who are responsible should be addressed. Yes, accommodate 5,000 or so,
but 20,000? :tsk:

-----

Kick_It_High09
11-11-2009, 12:35 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13752175?source=email

PS: Sorry! When I first searched for the full article on Google, (from The Denver Post), it was 'unavailable' on all search urls. So, in re-checking the url I posted, I noticed it was cut down, but the full article was posted in Pittsburgh, and I found the full article to post.

Maybe I'm being too thin skinned, :defense: but I thought it was poor journalism. :confused:

Kick_It_High09
11-11-2009, 12:46 PM
topscribe, thanks much for the Welcome.

I'll count to 10, and take an ice cold shower. I was so peeved at the article, I was seeing stars. (For two days.) So, I'm left wondering how DID they get all those seats??

Go Bronco's ~ Forever and Ever !!!

~Former Steel Town Girl!

dogfish
11-11-2009, 12:49 PM
i can't stand woody, but i really don't see anything he said there that was wrong. . . .

Ravage!!!
11-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Steeler fans have the most loyal following of any team in the NFL. They ar everywhere, and they come out even more (like any fans do) after just winning a Super Bowl. The fans bought the tickets because they wanted them. Not that hard to figure out, really.

But didn't see anything Woody wrote as being bad journalism, by any means.

NightTrainLayne
11-11-2009, 12:57 PM
Steeler fans have the most loyal following of any team in the NFL. They ar everywhere, and they come out even more (like any fans do) after just winning a Super Bowl. The fans bought the tickets because they wanted them. Not that hard to figure out, really.

Probably a high percentage of them were bought before the season ever began. Broncos fans were worried about a 3-13 season, and Pittsburgh was coming off of a Super Bowl, and it was a Monday Night game.

I think that if a lot of those Bronco ticket-holder would have known that we'd be 6-1 and have a two-game lead on the Chargers in the AFC West back in the Summer when they sold them, then they would have held on to those MNF tickets.

Ravage!!!
11-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Probably a high percentage of them were bought before the season ever began. Broncos fans were worried about a 3-13 season, and Pittsburgh was coming off of a Super Bowl, and it was a Monday Night game.

I think that if a lot of those Bronco ticket-holder would have known that we'd be 6-1 and have a two-game lead on the Chargers in the AFC West back in the Summer when they sold them, then they would have held on to those MNF tickets.

Excellent point.... :beer:

dogfish
11-11-2009, 01:02 PM

which makes them a bunch of bitch-ass, fairweather douchewads. . . . :tsk:

Buff
11-11-2009, 01:13 PM
I'm a Woody fan... But his last two columns have been complete garbage.

Buff
11-11-2009, 01:14 PM
topscribe, thanks much for the Welcome.

I'll count to 10, and take an ice cold shower. I was so peeved at the article, I was seeing stars. (For two days.) So, I'm left wondering how DID they get all those seats??

Go Bronco's ~ Forever and Ever !!!

~Former Steel Town Girl!

Please see yourself to the "Post My Pic" thread... TIA.

EastCoastBronco
11-11-2009, 01:34 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13752175?source=email

PS: Sorry! When I first searched for the full article on Google, (from The Denver Post), it was 'unavailable' on all search urls. So, in re-checking the url I posted, I noticed it was cut down, but the full article was posted in Pittsburgh, and I found the full article to post.

Maybe I'm being too thin skinned, :defense: but I thought it was poor journalism. :confused:

Welcome aboard dude. I think Woody was trying to make a point. You're not thin skinned. You just missed his point.
Point (a) He was mocking all of the Broncos season's ticket holders that sold their seats to Pitt fans instead of having their own asses in those seats.
Point (b) he was trying to guilt them into not doing it again.

After having witnessed more Black and Yellow in the stands than Orange at that game, I tend to agree with him.

Buff
11-11-2009, 01:38 PM
Welcome aboard dude. I think Woody was trying to make a point. You're not thin skinned. You just missed his point.
Point (a) He was mocking all of the Broncos season's ticket holders that sold their seats to Pitt fans instead of having their own asses in those seats.

After having witnessed more Black and Yellow in the stands than Orange at that game, I tend to agree with him.

I think everyone ought to get off their high horse and go buy season tickets if they are so concerned.

NightTrainLayne
11-11-2009, 01:40 PM
I think everyone ought to get off their high horse and go buy season tickets if they are so concerned.

You're right. Looks like a great investment.

topscribe
11-11-2009, 01:42 PM
which makes them a bunch of bitch-ass, fairweather douchewads. . . . :tsk:

I know some of the Broncos noticed. Andra Davis said a bunch of Steelers fans
were waiting at the Broncos' exit tunnel, and he didn't care much for it. That is
something that is supposed to happen away, not at home.

And Kenny Peterson simply described it as "embarrassing."

-----

NightTrainLayne
11-11-2009, 01:51 PM
I know some of the Broncos noticed. Andra Davis said a bunch of Steelers fans
were waiting at the Broncos' exit tunnel, and he didn't care much for it. That is
something that is supposed to happen away, not at home.

And Kenny Peterson simply described it as "embarrassing."

-----

I think that I can guarantee that they wouldn't have been met at the exit tunnel by Steeler's fans if they would have won the game.

topscribe
11-11-2009, 01:54 PM
I think that I can guarantee that they wouldn't have been met at the exit tunnel by Steeler's fans if they would have won the game.

True. But I think the players' point was they didn't want to have to run off the
field at Invesco, thinking they are about to take a flight home . . .

-----

Denver Native (Carol)
11-11-2009, 02:13 PM
Hi Everyone. I'm new ... Came here because I am doing a slow boil over Woody Paige's article "Who's Stadium Is This Anyway?" The fact that it was all he could crank out of his old fountain pen ... was one thing... but when I read it, it was sent by a friend in Pittsburgh, who had to rub it in.

A [lazy] Pittsburgh Post Gazette writer relaxed his brain, and used the article for his masterpiece after our loss to the Steelers on Monday. But, I guess that's part of the joy of winning. (:rolleyes:)

http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/bobsmizik/default.aspx

I think this was a pathetic move by Woody Paige, and a worse one by Pitts. Press.
I feel it showed a total lack of CLASS by both newspapers.

Also, I might add, some of those 'Steeler Fans' may be season ticket holders here, because many have moved to CO. to better themselves. I'll betcha' on other game days, these are some Denverites who dress in Orange and Blue. :listen: (Just thinkin' ....)

I guess "If you can't say something nice" doesn't hold when the gloves come off! LOL :salute:

Just needed to vent. I'm glad I found this forum ... Nice Job!:coffee:

:welcome: to Broncos Forums - just curious - how did you find this Forum?

As a Denver native for many years, I totally agree with Woody in regards to the amount of Steeler fans at the game Monday night. I am sure many season ticket holders RAN to the bank with the huge amount of money they received.

Also, as being a Denver native, and getting all of the local teams games on tv - it happens here a lot - MANY Lakers fans when the Nuggets play the Lakers - MANY Cubs and Dodgers fans when the Rockies play those teams. It really does get OLD that so many fans who are supposed to be fans of their local teams will SELL THEIR SOUL :tsk:

Superchop 7
11-11-2009, 02:15 PM
Alot of angry season ticket holders sold their seats (for this season) after all the turmoil in the offseason.

Woody blames the fans ?

Excuse me.....The FANS had nothing to do with it.

They own the seat, if they aren't happy and want to sell, thats their perogative.

Buff
11-11-2009, 02:24 PM
I think it's extremely hypocritical for fans who watch all 16 games from the couch to criticize season ticket holders--who shell out thousands of dollars to support the team every year--for selling their tickets.

topscribe
11-11-2009, 02:29 PM
I think it's extremely hypocritical for fans who watch all 16 games from the couch to criticize season ticket holders--who shell out thousands of dollars to support the team every year--for selling their tickets.

There are thousands of fans who would by season tickets if they didn't have to
wait several years for the opportunity. Therefore, those particular voices may
bear even more weight . . .

-----

Buff
11-11-2009, 02:30 PM
There are thousands of fans who would by season tickets if they didn't have to
wait several years for the opportunity. Therefore, those particular voices may
bear even more weight . . .

-----

If you're on the waiting list--bitch away. Otherwise shut your trap.

(Not you specifically.)

frauschieze
11-11-2009, 02:33 PM

I'm on the waiting list. 17 to 19 YEARS. But I'll be damned that after waiting that long, that I would sell my tickets knowingly to an opponent's fan.

Buff
11-11-2009, 02:39 PM
I'm on the waiting list. 17 to 19 YEARS. But I'll be damned that after waiting that long, that I would sell my tickets knowingly to an opponent's fan.

As I said in another thread... If money wasn't a concern of mine then I'd never sell my tickets to opposing fans either. I'd happily give them to Broncos fans before selling them to Steelers fans.

But this is the real world and people have bills to pay. I won't judge anyone for making a personal financial decision... Unless it's the AFC Championship game--then you've gotta take one for the team.

topscribe
11-11-2009, 02:42 PM
As I said in another thread... If money wasn't a concern of mine then I'd never sell my tickets to opposing fans either. I'd happily give them to Broncos fans before selling them to Steelers fans.

But this is the real world and people have bills to pay. I won't judge anyone for making a personal financial decision... Unless it's the AFC Championship game--then you've gotta take one for the team.

I understand what you are saying. My first thought to that is, if finances are
that tight, then a TV set is far less expensive than season tickets . . .

-----

Ravage!!!
11-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Its easy to criticize when you don't have the tickets in your hand, and simply don't want to go, can't go, decide not to go... have plans at home, want to make plans at home...want to make plans out of town... work...school, family..sickness.... or whatEVER reasons there may be to sell a pair of tickets.

I can't blame anyone for selling their tickets if the people that are offerng the best price are those on opposing teams. If our fans wanted to go to the game so badly, how is it they keep getting outbid on 'ebay' or wherever they are sold? Seems they simply didn't want the tickets bad enough.

frauschieze
11-11-2009, 03:02 PM

I understand what you're saying, I do. But there are plenty of people who want tickets, so as long as they are selling above face value then I don't see the difference. They've recovered their costs and made a little money.

And while I'm sure some are having financial difficulties, I'm equally sure for some it is only a matter of greed. When that greed gives another team an advantage, I have a problem.

To me, it's a matter of pride in my team. Maybe others don't feel the same.

Buff
11-11-2009, 03:11 PM
I understand what you're saying, I do. But there are plenty of people who want tickets, so as long as they are selling above face value then I don't see the difference. They've recovered their costs and made a little money.

And while I'm sure some are having financial difficulties, I'm equally sure for some it is only a matter of greed. When that greed gives another team an advantage, I have a problem.

To me, it's a matter of pride in my team. Maybe others don't feel the same.

I guess I don't see it as greed when they're paying through the nose for crappy preseason games, parking, concessions and the "retainer" fee or whatever crap charges the NFL wants to throw at them. I think they're well within their rights to try and recoup some of that $$.

Obviously if all things are equal, then you'd rather sell to a Broncos fan. But if a Broncos fan offers you face value and a Steelers fan offers you 2x face value--then I think practicality outweighs any sense of guilt.

Like I said, this all goes out the window if money isn't an issue. But money is an issue for most people.

KCL
11-11-2009, 03:25 PM
This is all Mtn Man's fault....:lol:

j/k

dogfish
11-11-2009, 03:32 PM

i'd love to, but i'm stuck on a damn waiting list because people who don't even want the tickets have the rights to them. . . :tsk:

Buff
11-11-2009, 03:46 PM
i'd love to, but i'm stuck on a damn waiting list because people who don't even want the tickets have the rights to them. . . :tsk:

Likely story.

If you wanted to be there, you would have been there. It's as simple as that.

NightTrainLayne
11-11-2009, 04:31 PM
To some degree the long waiting list exacerbates this problem I imagine.

Because there is such a demand for Broncos tickets, I'm sure that there is a large portion of folks who simply don't let their right to season tickets go because it is so lucrative to re-sell them. Why let it go, when you can turn them over and maybe double your money each season re-selling them?

It's a nice problem to have honestly. It sucks when a team like Pittsburgh really makes a showing, but if we finish off this season the way we were heading the first 6 weeks, we won't have to worry about it next season.

Ravage!!!
11-11-2009, 04:57 PM
To some degree the long waiting list exacerbates this problem I imagine.

Because there is such a demand for Broncos tickets, I'm sure that there is a large portion of folks who simply don't let their right to season tickets go because it is so lucrative to re-sell them. Why let it go, when you can turn them over and maybe double your money each season re-selling them?

It's a nice problem to have honestly. It sucks when a team like Pittsburgh really makes a showing, but if we finish off this season the way we were heading the first 6 weeks, we won't have to worry about it next season.

THat, and how many times have we heard "this" particular problem occur in Denver before? I've never heard of a team having 20k of fans in the stadium. Its not like its a trend.

Hey.. I say if you own them, you have the right to sell them. If you get profits from it and thats what you want, thats your right. I guess some would like to determine who you do or don't sell your house to, as well.

Either way. The fans didn't lose us this game, and its not something we see happening with the Denver stadium every week.

I know I got tickets to the Denver v KC game last year, and it felt as though we had that many fans in the stadium rooting for Denver. Unfortunately, KC whipped us.

WARHORSE
11-11-2009, 05:28 PM
Woodys article was DEAD ON.

I dont say that much about Woodrow. But the truth is the truth.

After the first few moments of the game, the Broncos fans were left to drinking their drinks, and eating their eats.

The last few games I was there, I noticed the same thing. Instead of realizing they could make the game hell for Pittsburg, or any other visiting team, they only cheer when we do something good.

We should be screaming every time the opposing team tries to snap the ball.

Not at Invesco.

Its the tipping of wine glasses I hear, rather than the banging of beer mugs.

Perhaps its the passing of a generation. Perhaps its a new wave order.

Regardless, Invesco is a Porsche playing light jazz, whereas old Mile High was a junker blaring rock.

Someone needs to graffiti the entire stadium, and dig a few pot holes in the parking lot.

When Elway left.............so did the blue collar working man.

Or so it seems.

Dirk
11-11-2009, 05:42 PM
I agree with you War!

I had the honor of going to Mile High back in the late 80's and it was a mad house!

You see it in every stadium now though with the cheering when something good happens and booing when something bad happens.

I blame it all on Pittsburgh and the love hate relationship they had with Kordell. Afterwhich it seemed every stadium started booing more.

Who knows...I may just be crazy. Well, I know I am a little crazy...but what ever!

Buff
11-11-2009, 05:52 PM
I agree with you War!

I had the honor of going to Mile High back in the late 80's and it was a mad house!

You see it in every stadium now though with the cheering when something good happens and booing when something bad happens.

I blame it all on Pittsburgh and the love hate relationship they had with Kordell. Afterwhich it seemed every stadium started booing more.

Who knows...I may just be crazy. Well, I know I am a little crazy...but what ever!

What does Kordell Stewart have to do with anything? You lost me.

EastCoastBronco
11-11-2009, 07:05 PM
Likely story.

If you wanted to be there, you would have been there. It's as simple as that.

Hey Buff. When did you turn into such a hardass? I don't remember you being this mean spirited and non-loyal before.
If you think it's OK for half the fu*king stands at Mile High to be filled with goddamn Steeler fans at a home game then you are lost, bro....

Ravage!!!
11-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Hey Buff. When did you turn into such a hardass? I don't remember you being this mean spirited and non-loyal before.
If you think it's OK for half the fu*king stands at Mile High to be filled with goddamn Steeler fans at a home game then you are lost, bro....

He didn't say that. He defended his right to sell the tickets to the highest bidder.

Buff
11-11-2009, 08:51 PM

I've always been an insufferable *****. You obviously haven't been paying enough attention. ;) Dog knows we're tight and I'd still like to stroke your beard someday. I'm being mean spirited in this thread because I think the people complaining are being hypocritical.

The only people who should be bitching are those on the season ticket wait list, someone at the game, or someone who regularly pays for tickets to the games.

I don't think you'll find a more loyal fan than myself... It's not that I want to see Steelers fans in the stadium--I don't like it at all.

But it seems like the majority of the people complaining are those who have maybe attended one or two Bronco games in their entire life. Pittsburgh fans obviously found a way to travel to the game... Why don't some of the people complaining put their money where their mouth is and buy a ticket?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be a dick. I just get sick of a bunch of out of staters and people who don't shell out thousands of $$ each year criticizing the people who fill the stands for 7+ games out of the year every year. It ain't right. Put your money where your mouth is, or stop complaining. That's my stance on this one.

Elevation inc
11-13-2009, 02:13 AM
poor economy, many jobless people....no doubt some are former bronco ticket holders, and were forced to sell out of neccesity....should we really blame a family of 5 for example......for selling there tickets to a pitt fan who offered a huge amount, when the husband is jobless and has to support his family...or should he just use his unemployment checks to pay for his broncos season tickets....

the economy sucks right now, many people are forced in to relequishning what used to be a luxury to get by.....

it happens.........................

if i was a season ticket holder, and i was offered 2 times face value by a opposing fan, and i was struggling to support my family because of recession, you can bet your ass im gonna get as much money as possible. especially when the fact of life is providing for your family trumps other bronco fans or having season tickets.....

dogfish
11-13-2009, 02:18 AM
I've always been an insufferable *****. You obviously haven't been paying enough attention. ;) Dog knows we're tight and I'd still like to stroke your beard someday. I'm being mean spirited in this thread because I think the people complaining are being hypocritical.

The only people who should be bitching are those on the season ticket wait list, someone at the game, or someone who regularly pays for tickets to the games.

I don't think you'll find a more loyal fan than myself... It's not that I want to see Steelers fans in the stadium--I don't like it at all.

But it seems like the majority of the people complaining are those who have maybe attended one or two Bronco games in their entire life. Pittsburgh fans obviously found a way to travel to the game... Why don't some of the people complaining put their money where their mouth is and buy a ticket?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be a dick. I just get sick of a bunch of out of staters and people who don't shell out thousands of $$ each year criticizing the people who fill the stands for 7+ games out of the year every year. It ain't right. Put your money where your mouth is, or stop complaining. That's my stance on this one.

wait, so did you miss the part where i'm on the season ticket wait list?

no way i can afford to shell out to travel to games right now, but i'm sure that by the time i actually get the damn things, i'll be back in CO and able to afford them. . .

in the meantime, i'll keep on bitching about squeeler fans filling up our stands. . .

horsepig
11-13-2009, 06:07 AM
The last game I went to was "da Bears" debacle in 05', it was sooooooooo cold. Da Bears were wearing short sleeves and the poor little Broncos were jumping around with their longjohns on, waiting for the
'game
'to end. That was it for me and Shanny.

My point is that the stadium sucks! You cannot even mve down when the wine sniffers leave and take their seats, unless you happen to have a key to the elevators. Whaaat?

Our tickets weren't cheap. we drove 4 hours to Denver, toughed out the cold weather--and about 25% of the fans around us were Bears fans!

That's the way it is I guess, but I hate that stadium. I never once saw anything like that at the old Mi-Hi stadium. I attended almost every home game for 20 some years and the onlytime I was pissed was at dumbass Faider fans with their dumbass jerseys and tattoos all over the place as they lurched around in a drunken stupor (you didn't see a lot of those dummies in the south stands, by the by), (the drunken Bronco fans down there kicked the crap out of those fools!), now it's all wine and cheese and
'let's go to church.

Slick
11-13-2009, 09:45 AM

Still inexcusable NTL.

Buff
11-13-2009, 10:57 AM
no way i can afford to shell out to travel to games right now.

This is kind of my point though.

You can't afford to go, you made no attempt to buy a ticket... So why is it ok for you to criticize other people who may be in the same boat?

It's like "I'm not gonna go because it's too expensive. But I expect you to go and will criticize you if you don't."

That's an argument that can only be made by someone who has never had to pay the thousands of dollars for season tickets.

NightTrainLayne
11-13-2009, 12:20 PM
This is kind of my point though.

You can't afford to go, you made no attempt to buy a ticket... So why is it ok for you to criticize other people who may be in the same boat?

It's like "I'm not gonna go because it's too expensive. But I expect you to go and will criticize you if you don't."

That's an argument that can only be made by someone who has never had to pay the thousands of dollars for season tickets.

Buff, the more you make these elitist sounding posts the more I like you. :beer: