PDA

View Full Version : Draft strategy analysis article

Fan in Exile
01-10-2008, 02:07 PM
For all those who advocate one drafting strategy over another this is a great article to read. http://www.patriotsdaily.com/2008/01/outside-foxborough-how-teams-are-using-the-draft-value-chart/

I think the best point that they made was about the safety net involved in drafting a CB and OT. It pretty much convinced me that as much as I would love a DT, we should go OT in round one.

It's a really long article which is why I didn't copy it.

BOSSHOGG30
01-10-2008, 02:24 PM
This is the best pick Denver has had in over 16 years. At #12 it would be a shame to use it on an 2nd teir offensive lineman. Jake Long is the best offensive tackle in the entire draft and the drop off after him is a big one. And Jake Long isn't even a top teir OT compared to past drafts. Why would it be smart to us the best pick we've had in over 16 years on a 2nd teir player? Plus OT is deep. There may not be any studs, but the it is a deep class with above average potential. There my not be any Odgens or Pace's, but there are many 2nd teir guys to draft through out the entire draft.

HolyDiver
01-10-2008, 02:28 PM
This is the best pick Denver has had in over 16 years. At #12 it would be a shame to use it on an 2nd teir offensive lineman. Jake Long is the best offensive tackle in the entire draft and the drop off after him is a big one. And Jake Long isn't even a top teir OT compared to past drafts. Why would it be smart to us the best pick we've had in over 16 years on a 2nd teir player? Plus OT is deep. There may not be any studs, but the it is a deep class with above average potential. There my not be any Odgens or Pace's, but there are many 2nd teir guys to draft through out the entire draft.

Foster.............#1 pick

Nalen..........#7 pick

Kuper...........#5 pick.

Myers...........#5 pick

I really doubt we use a #1 pick on an O-linemen.

CoachChaz
01-10-2008, 02:46 PM
The best player available at an area of need provided the value is there. if Dorsey, Ellis and Laurinitis are gone at 12, then Phillips is a lock as the best value

HolyDiver
01-10-2008, 03:18 PM
The best player available at an area of need provided the value is there. if Dorsey, Ellis and Laurinitis are gone at 12, then Phillips is a lock as the best value

I agree.............Phillips atleast would solve a longtime need............Then in 2009, we could look for the bigtime DT or Linebacker.

CoachChaz
01-10-2008, 03:21 PM
I agree.............Phillips atleast would solve a longtime need............Then in 2009, we could look for the bigtime DT or Linebacker.

My thinking is I'd like to get the safeties now, because before you know it...the CB's will be in their mid 30's

HolyDiver
01-10-2008, 03:29 PM
My thinking is I'd like to get the safeties now, because before you know it...the CB's will be in their mid 30's

They are both entering their 10th seasons............3 good years left, tops.

CoachChaz
01-10-2008, 03:35 PM
They are both entering their 10th seasons............3 good years left, tops.

Exactly. Won't be good to have the entire decondary old and decrepid.

HolyDiver
01-10-2008, 03:40 PM
Exactly. Won't be good to have the entire decondary old and decrepid.

Or even Secondary, for that matter.

CoachChaz
01-10-2008, 03:42 PM
Or even Secondary, for that matter.

Yep...that too.

If you were a scout, you'd know that a decondary is a combination word for secondary and defensive backfield.

Retired_Member_001
01-10-2008, 03:48 PM
Foster.............#1 pick

Nalen..........#7 pick

Kuper...........#5 pick.

Myers...........#5 pick

I really doubt we use a #1 pick on an O-linemen.

I think we should go offensive line in the first round.

How many left tackles do you see drafted outside of the first two rounds? (Minus Lepsis)

CoachChaz
01-10-2008, 03:50 PM

How many left tackles do you see drafted outside of the first two rounds? (Minus Lepsis)

I just prefer not to make a reach pick on guys like Clady, Oker, otah, etc. with the #12 pick if an amazing value and top 5 talent like Phillips is available.

Retired_Member_001
01-10-2008, 03:52 PM
I just prefer not to make a reach pick on guys like Clady, Oker, otah, etc. with the #12 pick if an amazing value and top 5 talent like Phillips is available.

I know he's injury prone but I think Sam Baker would do a great job for us.

The other option is signing Jordan Gross in FA and moving him to Left Tackle. The offensive line is the most important part of the offense in my opinion and the left tackle is the most important part of the offensive line.

I think it will be key to pickup someone great.

CoachChaz
01-10-2008, 03:54 PM

The other option is signing Jordan Gross in FA and moving him to Left Tackle. The offensive line is the most important part of the offense in my opinion and the left tackle is the most important part of the offensive line.

The O-line is a definite area of need. Right now, my day one has us drafting Phillips in the first and Tony Hills in the 2nd. Personally, Pears is horrible and Harris seems better suited as an RT.

Retired_Member_001
01-10-2008, 04:00 PM
The O-line is a definite area of need. Right now, my day one has us drafting Phillips in the first and Tony Hills in the 2nd. Personally, Pears is horrible and Harris seems better suited as an RT.

Personally I think we need to get a safety in FA (Gibril Wilson maybe) as well as getting a DT (Corey Williams).

Then we should draft an OT in the first and a linebacker in the second round.

I'm dissapointed at how optimistic Shanahan sounded in his press conference about Erik Pears. To be honest I think the guy is horrible. He did a good job at LT last season but he's been terrible this season.

BOSSHOGG30
01-10-2008, 04:03 PM
Personally I think we need to get a safety in FA (Gibril Wilson maybe) as well as getting a DT (Corey Williams).

I'm dissapointed at how optimistic Shanahan sounded in his press conference about Erik Pears. To be honest I think the guy is horrible. He did a good job at LT last season but he's been terrible this season.

Rumors are that the Packers are already in contract talks with Corey Williams.

HolyDiver
01-10-2008, 04:04 PM

........plenty

Retired_Member_001
01-10-2008, 04:06 PM
Rumors are that the Packers are already in contract talks with Corey Williams.

That makes things abit harder then :laugh: .

I don't like the sound of drafting a DT. Defensive linemen generally take a year or two or even three to develop properly so we'd have to put up with poor run defense some more. I think we need to bring in someone who can make an immediate impact, like Corey Williams for example.

Retired_Member_001
01-10-2008, 04:06 PM
........plenty

Name them then.

Name 5 GOOD Left tackles drafted outside of the first two rounds.

BOSSHOGG30
01-10-2008, 04:08 PM
Name them then.

What is your definition of good? I mean if your looking at a sure thing your not going to see anything, but if you looking at players with the potential to be good left tackles then that is different.

Retired_Member_001
01-10-2008, 04:11 PM
What is your definition of good? I mean if your looking at a sure thing your not going to see anything, but if you looking at players with the potential to be good left tackles then that is different.

Someone who is good and already established.

They also have to still be playing so saying Matt Lepsis doesn't count.

HolyDiver
01-10-2008, 04:15 PM
Name them then.

You said the FIRST round.

HolyDiver
01-10-2008, 04:17 PM
Okay, I'll start posting as many as I see.

#73 Kirk Chambers | OL » Add Widget Roster: Select Player S. Aiken C. Bryan B. Butler J. Butler K. Chambers J. Corto B. Costanzo B. Costanzo A. Crowell R. Denney J. DiGiorgio D. Dockery T. Edwards K. Ellison P. Estes J. Evans J. Evans L. Evans K. Everett M. Fowler D. Fox C. Gaddis M. Gaines J. Greer M. Haggan G. Hamdan A. Hargrove K. Harrison F. Huggins F. Jackson J. Jefferson J. Jenkins L. Joe C. Kelsay J. Leonhard R. Lindell J. Losman M. Lynch C. Mace T. Massaquoi S. Mayle J. McCargo N. McCaskill T. McGee A. Merz B. Moorman M. Murphy R. Neill R. Neufeld S. Nua R. Parrish J. Peters P. Posluszny D. Preston P. Price J. Reed R. Royal A. Schobel D. Schouman B. Scott K. Simpson J. Stamer A. Thomas K. Thomas L. Tripplett E. Underwood L. Walker A. Wallace J. Webster J. Wendling D. Whitner J. Whittle K. Williams S. Williams G. Wilson C. Wire D. Wright A. Youboty

Full Name: Kirk Chambers
Born: March 19, 1979
Provo, UT
Height: 6-7
Weight: 315 lbs. Age: 28
Pos: OL
Experience: 3 years
College: Stanford
Drafted: Year:2004 Round:6 Pick:11, Browns FANTASY
Percent Owned: (Week +/-):
NFL: 0.0% (0.0%)
Avg. Draft Position:
NFL: Undrafted
66 David Diehl | G » Add Widget Roster: Select Player J. Alford A. Awasom D. Bake J. Bell M. Bell C. Blackburn K. Boothe K. Boss A. Bradshaw P. Burress J. Butler B. Cofield J. Collins C. Dahl T. Daniels R. Davis Z. DeOssie D. Diehl K. Dockery R. Douglas R. Droughns J. Feagles J. Finn M. Hedgecock D. Hixon B. Jacobs M. Jennings D. Johnson M. Johnson W. Joseph M. Kiwanuka A. Koets R. Kuehl T. Londot J. Lorenzen S. Madison E. Manning M. Matthews K. McKenzie R. McQuarters K. Mitchell S. Moss S. O'Hara A. Pierce G. Pope G. Pope F. Robbins A. Ross G. Ruegamer R. Seubert J. Shockey S. Smith C. Snee M. Strahan D. Tollefson A. Toomer R. Torbor J. Tuck L. Tynes D. Tyree O. Umenyiora D. Ward D. Ware C. Webster G. Whimper G. Wilkinson G. Wilson A. Wright M. Wright

Full Name: David Michael Diehl
Born: September 15, 1980
Chicago, IL
Height: 6-5
Weight: 319 lbs.
Pronounced: DEAL Age: 27
Pos: G
Experience: 5 years
College: Illinois
Drafted: Year:2003 Round:5 Pick:25, Giants FANTASY
Avg. Draft Position:
NFL: UD

76 John Tait | OT » Add Widget Roster: Select Player A. Adams M. Anderson A. Archuleta B. Ayanbadejo D. Bazuin J. Beekman C. Benson B. Berrian M. Bradley L. Briggs A. Brown M. Brown R. Brown D. Clark R. Davis D. Dvoracek A. Garay R. Garza J. Gattis J. Gilmore R. Gould C. Graham B. Griese R. Grossman T. Harris M. Hass D. Hester Q. Hill H. Hillenmeyer I. Idonije A. Jimoh J. Kennedy O. Kreutz P. Mannelly D. Manning R. Manning Jr B. Maynard T. McBride D. McClover B. McGowan J. McKie T. Metcalf F. Miller F. Mines M. Muhammad A. Oakley A. Ogunleye M. Okwo G. Olsen K. Orton B. Oshinowo K. Payne A. Peterson L. Polite B. Rideau N. Roach J. Runnels J. St. Clair J. Tait C. Tillman M. Toeaina B. Urlacher N. Vasher D. Walker J. Williams R. Wilson G. Wolfe

Full Name: John Bernard Tait
Born: January 26, 1975
Phoenix, AZ
Height: 6-6
Weight: 312 lbs. Age: 32
Pos: OT
Experience: 9 years
College: Brigham Young FANTASY
Avg. Draft Position:

66 David Diehl | G » Add Widget Roster: Select Player J. Alford A. Awasom D. Bake J. Bell M. Bell C. Blackburn K. Boothe K. Boss A. Bradshaw P. Burress J. Butler B. Cofield J. Collins C. Dahl T. Daniels R. Davis Z. DeOssie D. Diehl K. Dockery R. Douglas R. Droughns J. Feagles J. Finn M. Hedgecock D. Hixon B. Jacobs M. Jennings D. Johnson M. Johnson W. Joseph M. Kiwanuka A. Koets R. Kuehl T. Londot J. Lorenzen S. Madison E. Manning M. Matthews K. McKenzie R. McQuarters K. Mitchell S. Moss S. O'Hara A. Pierce G. Pope G. Pope F. Robbins A. Ross G. Ruegamer R. Seubert J. Shockey S. Smith C. Snee M. Strahan D. Tollefson A. Toomer R. Torbor J. Tuck L. Tynes D. Tyree O. Umenyiora D. Ward D. Ware C. Webster G. Whimper G. Wilkinson G. Wilson A. Wright M. Wright

Full Name: David Michael Diehl
Born: September 15, 1980
Chicago, IL
Height: 6-5
Weight: 319 lbs.
Pronounced: DEAL Age: 27
Pos: G
Experience: 5 years
College: Illinois
Drafted: Year:2003 Round:5 Pick:25, Giants FANTASY
Avg. Draft Position:

Retired_Member_001
01-10-2008, 04:17 PM
You said the FIRST round.

I want an offensive tackle in the first round. But I'd be settled with one in the second.

G_Money
01-10-2008, 04:19 PM
Someone who is good and already established.

They also have to still be playing so saying Matt Lepsis doesn't count.

Well, look at this year's Pro Bowl:

2008:
NFC:
Samuels (1st rd)
Jones (1st rd)
Flozell Adams (2nd rd)

AFC:
Ogden (1st round)
Thomas (1st round)
Matt Light (2nd round)
Jason Peters (undrafted)

Lepsis never made the Pro Bowl, did he? He was a very good LT for us, though.

At the OT position, much of the time you need to be a 1st round talent to be a great one, but there are the occasional exceptions.

~G

Retired_Member_001
01-10-2008, 04:20 PM
Well, look at this year's Pro Bowl:

2008:
Ogden (1st round)
Thomas (1st round)
Matt Light (2nd round)
Jason Peters (undrafted)

Lepsis never made the Pro Bowl, did he? He was a very good LT for us, though.

At the OT position, much of the time you need to be a 1st round talent to be a great one, but there are the occasional exceptions.

~G

It's very rare to find an exception though.

Retired_Member_001
01-10-2008, 04:24 PM
Okay, I'll start posting as many as I see.

#73 Kirk Chambers | OL »

:laugh:

First of all he's a right tackle not a left tackle.

He's also the Buffalo Bills BACKUP.

G_Money
01-10-2008, 04:25 PM
It's rare to find a 1st round OT talent, too.

I like Long and Clady for LT this year in the 1st. There are several others for RT that I like, like Cherilus, but those are 2nd rounders most likely. Baker is too injury prone already for me to take in the 1st, and Otah doesn't fit here.

*shrugs* Here's hoping Shanny addresses the problem at all instead of just praying two of the kids currently on the roster can do the jobs.

~G

HolyDiver
01-10-2008, 04:26 PM
I am going off of ESPN's depth chart.............All LT's and starters

Retired_Member_001
01-10-2008, 04:26 PM
I am going off of ESPN's depth chart.

Well I'm going off NFL.com's website and it says he's the backup. Even if he was the starter he's not GOOD.

Retired_Member_001
01-10-2008, 04:28 PM
It's rare to find a 1st round OT talent, too.

I like Long and Clady for LT this year in the 1st. There are several others for RT that I like, like Cherilus, but those are 2nd rounders most likely. Baker is too injury prone already for me to take in the 1st, and Otah doesn't fit here.

*shrugs* Here's hoping Shanny addresses the problem at all instead of just praying two of the kids currently on the roster can do the jobs.

~G

Fair enough.

I'm not too keen on Clady, but Long and Cherilus would be good pickups ( we will never get Long).

We could sign Jordan Gross, move him to LT and draft Cherilus as a RT.

HolyDiver
01-10-2008, 04:32 PM
Well I'm going off NFL.com's website and it says he's the backup. Even if he was the starter he's not GOOD.

Foster was a #1..............there, are you happy.............He sucked, a waste of a pick.

G_Money
01-10-2008, 04:33 PM
I want Gross badly, but he may not even make it to the market (they're supposed to be talking w/ him). He's my first choice at T in FA.

Clady is a little more raw than Long and Cherilus, since he played for Boise St, but I love the potential in his game. He's got a lot left to give, and could turn into a dynamo for us. Don't think we'll take him though.

A guy I really wouldn't mind seeing on the 2nd day is Oniel Cousins. I'd need him to be more forceful, though, and he might be more of a RT. Still like what could become of his game, and he's not a 1st day guy.

~G

Retired_Member_001
01-10-2008, 04:36 PM
Full Name: John Bernard Tait
Born: January 26, 1975
Phoenix, AZ
Height: 6-6
Weight: 312 lbs. Age: 32
Pos: OT
Experience: 9 years
College: Brigham Young FANTASY
Avg. Draft Position:

By the way, John Tait was a first round pick.

CAREER TRANSACTIONS: Entered NFL as a first-round selection (14th overall) by Kansas City in the 1999 NFL Draft… Signed contract with Chiefs (9/9/99)… Signed offer sheet with Chicago (3/5/04)… Awarded to Chicago (3/12/04) after Kansas City declined to match offer sheet. SIGNED through 2009

http://http://www.chicagobears.com/team/player77.html

You're not going to win this HolyDriver, I've done my research.

CoachChaz
01-10-2008, 04:38 PM

It drives me crazy watching Pears...but I just don't see any LT's wothy of the #12 pick.

Retired_Member_001
01-10-2008, 04:39 PM
Foster was a #1..............there, are you happy.............He sucked, a waste of a pick.

There have been waste of picks at EVERY position.

You have failed to name 5 good left tackles drafted outside of the first two rounds. Now you see why I want us to go left tackle early in the draft.

HolyDiver
01-10-2008, 04:40 PM
There have been waste of picks at EVERY position.

You have failed to name 5 good left tackles drafted outside of the first two rounds. Now you see why I want us to go left tackle early in the draft.

I'm at work, I ran out of time. ...............I can name several STARTING LEFT TACKLES................If you don't think they are good, that's your opinion.

Retired_Member_001
01-10-2008, 04:41 PM
It drives me crazy watching Pears...but I just don't see any LT's wothy of the #12 pick.

See I have a feeling Sam Baker will drop because of his injuries. We could trade down (pick up a player in the process) and pick him up later in the first round.

I think Sam Baker would be worth the risk later on in the first round (not with the #12 pick for sure).

Retired_Member_001
01-10-2008, 04:43 PM
I'm at work, I ran out of time. ...............I can name several STARTING LEFT TACKLES................If you don't think they are good, that's your opinion.

Fair enough if you're at work.

However I've done my research and I know I'm right. There are starting left tackles that should be backups but you'll still struggle to find half decent left tackles taken outside of the first two rounds.

HolyDiver
01-10-2008, 04:48 PM

However I've done my research and I know I'm right. There are starting left tackles that should be backups but you'll still struggle to find half decent left tackles taken outside of the first two rounds.

Bottom line, we CAN find Tackles in the later rounds that would be good Tackles for us.

Retired_Member_001
01-10-2008, 04:49 PM
Bottom line, we CAN find Tackles in the later rounds that would be good Tackles for us.

Well I'm inviting you to prove we can find GOOD LEFT tackles in the later rounds.

I don't believe it's possible and even if it is, it's EXTREMELY rare to find good left tackles in the later rounds.

HolyDiver
01-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Well I'm inviting you to prove we can find GOOD LEFT tackles in the later rounds.

I don't believe it's possible and even if it is, it's EXTREMELY rare to find good left tackles in the later rounds.

Harris was a 3rd................Suppose he turns into a good Tackle? He just might.

Retired_Member_001
01-10-2008, 04:56 PM
Harris was a 3rd................Suppose he turns into a good Tackle? He just might.

Ok, IF he turns out a good left tackle then he's the third guy on your list.

However Harris is unproven so you can't count him on the list.

G_Money
01-10-2008, 04:57 PM
I agree with you, Wook - it's really hard to get a 2nd-day good LT.

Sometimes a guy falls out of the sky for whatever reason but you certainly shouldn't plan on that. We've had good luck getting guards and centers on the 2nd day, but tackles are another animal.

Still, we're one of the few teams that doesn't need a 340 pound ballerina with gorilla arms at the position. I want bigger guys than we've been using but we're not looking for guys in the Juggernaut class to fit our scheme.

That does give us more options than most teams have when trying to get a great LT.

~G

Retired_Member_001
01-10-2008, 05:04 PM
I agree with you, Wook - it's really hard to get a 2nd-day good LT.

Sometimes a guy falls out of the sky for whatever reason but you certainly shouldn't plan on that. We've had good luck getting guards and centers on the 2nd day, but tackles are another animal.

Still, we're one of the few teams that doesn't need a 340 pound ballerina with gorilla arms at the position. I want bigger guys than we've been using but we're not looking for guys in the Juggernaut class to fit our scheme.

That does give us more options than most teams have when trying to get a great LT.

~G

Exactly my point. Sometimes a guy falls out of the sky but it's very rare.

That is definitely an advantage G, we don't need guys built like bulldozers. However more teams are starting to use the zone block scheme or parts of the zone blocking scheme so zone block linemen are in more popular demand.

:salute:

mclark
01-11-2008, 11:50 AM
For all those who advocate one drafting strategy over another this is a great article to read. http://www.patriotsdaily.com/2008/01/outside-foxborough-how-teams-are-using-the-draft-value-chart/

I think the best point that they made was about the safety net involved in drafting a CB and OT. It pretty much convinced me that as much as I would love a DT, we should go OT in round one.

It's a really long article which is why I didn't copy it.

From the article:

Offensive Line

"This is a position where we see huge differences because of the differences in philosophy between teams. The Colts and Broncos, who rely on late-round offensive linemen to build up their team, have spent only 2508 points and 1887.2 points on offensive linemen, respectively, while teams who struggle to find offensive line consistency like the Cardinals and Raiders have spent 6587.9 and 5976.4 points on linemen, respectively. Of course, the latter teams have struggled mightily, while the former have done very well for themselves."

I did read that the 'safety net' on drafting an offensive tackle in the first round is that you might shift him to guard if he can't cut it at tackle. (Didn't we consider that with George Foster?) However, the article says pretty clearly that the Broncos and Colts thrive on late round offensive linemen and the Cardinals and Raiders have spent the mint on first round linemen and still have the worst offensive lines in football.

I would think the logic I get from this is: don't draft offensive linemen in the first round.

mclark
01-11-2008, 11:54 AM

And, if all these guys are gone, we might look at Connor.

I don't see us drafting an offensive lineman. I have liked what I've see of Jake Long, but he'll be gone early.

We MUST do something with our offensive line, but I'm leaning toward free agent moves there.

mclark
01-11-2008, 11:57 AM

Sam Baker looked terrible in the Rose Bowl. On the ground a lot during running plays. Standing around, looking for someone to block on passing plays. He did lock up pretty well on pass-blocking when he could figure out which guy to block. Almost got his qb killed on a blitz when he picked up the inside guy and let the outside guy go.

I don't want Sam Baker.

mclark
01-11-2008, 12:47 PM

Ok, I took the challenge at looked at a depth chart of all NFL teams and left tackles. A lot of first and second rounders. The best are first-day picks, generally speaking. But there are second day and undrafted players playing in the NFL.

You might find a similar distribution for EVERY position in the NFL (but kickers): the best players DO come from the first day of the draft. The question is: where do you want to spend your money?

OLT Jason Peters, Buffalo - UNDRAFTED
OLT Vernon Carey, Miami – 1st round
OLT Matt Light New England – 2nd round
OLT D'Brickashaw Ferguson NY Jets – 1st round

OLT Jonathan Ogden Baltimore – 1st round
OLT Levi Jones Cincinnati – 1st round
OLT Joe Thomas Cleveland – 1st round
OLT Trai Essex Pittsburgh – 3rd round

OLT Ephraim Salaam Houston – 7th round
OLT Tony Ugoh Indianapolis – 2nd round
OLT Khalif Barnes Jacksonville – 2nd round
OLT Michael Roos, Tennessee – 2nd round

OLT Mark Lepsis, Denver, UNDRAFTED
OLT Erik Pears, Denver - UNDRAFTED
OLT Damion McIntosh, KC – 3rd Round
OLT Barry Sims, Oakland - UNDRAFTED
OLT Marcus McNeill, San Diego – 2nd Round

OLT Flozell Adams, Dallas – 2nd Round
OLT David Diehl, NY Giants – 5th Round
OLT William Thomas, Philadelphia – 1st Round
OLT Chris Samuels, Washington – 1st Round

OLT John Tait, Chicago – 1st Round
OLT Jeff Backus, Detroit – 1st Round
OLT Chad Clifton, Green Bay – 2nd Round
OLT Bryant McKinnie, Minnesota – 1st Round

OLT Quinn Ojinnaka, Atlanta – 5th Round
OLT Travelle Wharton, Carolina – 3rd Round
OLT Jammal Brown, New Orleans – 1st Round
OLT Donald Penn, Tampa Bay - UNDRAFTED

OLT Mike Gandy, Arizona – 3rd Round
OLT Adam Snyder, San Francisco – 3rd Round
OLT Walter Jones, Seattle – 1st Round
OLT Alex Barron, St. Louis – 1st Round

HolyDiver
01-11-2008, 12:58 PM
It would be great to get a 10 year left Tackle in the 1st round.............Jake Long would make me very happy..............but if he's gone, I still say stick with drafting Defense primarily this year and see what Harris can do.............If he struggles, we concentrate on Offense ( Tackle) in 2009.

mclark
01-11-2008, 01:53 PM
It would be great to get a 10 year left Tackle in the 1st round.............Jake Long would make me very happy..............but if he's gone, I still say stick with drafting Defense primarily this year and see what Harris can do.............If he struggles, we concentrate on Offense ( Tackle) in 2009.

I want free-agent help for the left side of our offensive line. I can see Pears, Harris and Kuper fighting it out for right tackle. But we need real quality on the left side.

HolyDiver
01-11-2008, 02:09 PM
I want free-agent help for the left side of our offensive line. I can see Pears, Harris and Kuper fighting it out for right tackle. But we need real quality on the left side.

Like who?...............We need another Zimmerman or Tony Jones........But I don't expect that type of player to land in our laps again.

BOSSHOGG30
01-11-2008, 03:03 PM
James Davis is the perfect runningback for Denver.

HolyDiver
01-11-2008, 03:16 PM
James Davis is the perfect runningback for Denver.

James Davis from where?

BOSSHOGG30
01-11-2008, 04:08 PM
James Davis from where?

Clemson.. I'm telling you. James Davis and Jamaal Charles will be studs. I like Jonathon Stewart too, but he is a 1st round pick.. so anyone who drafts Charles or Davis in round 2 or on is getting a deal.

CoachChaz
01-11-2008, 04:15 PM
I'll agree with that. In between I'm not impressed with anyone, but would be very interested in Tim Hightower later on

BOSSHOGG30
01-11-2008, 04:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeovxDqZYyA

James Davis video

Retired_Member_001
01-13-2008, 01:09 PM
Ok, I took the challenge at looked at a depth chart of all NFL teams and left tackles. A lot of first and second rounders. The best are first-day picks, generally speaking. But there are second day and undrafted players playing in the NFL.

You might find a similar distribution for EVERY position in the NFL (but kickers): the best players DO come from the first day of the draft. The question is: where do you want to spend your money?

OLT Jason Peters, Buffalo - UNDRAFTED
OLT Vernon Carey, Miami – 1st round
OLT Matt Light New England – 2nd round
OLT D'Brickashaw Ferguson NY Jets – 1st round

OLT Jonathan Ogden Baltimore – 1st round
OLT Levi Jones Cincinnati – 1st round
OLT Joe Thomas Cleveland – 1st round
OLT Trai Essex Pittsburgh – 3rd round

OLT Ephraim Salaam Houston – 7th round
OLT Tony Ugoh Indianapolis – 2nd round
OLT Khalif Barnes Jacksonville – 2nd round
OLT Michael Roos, Tennessee – 2nd round

OLT Mark Lepsis, Denver, UNDRAFTED
OLT Erik Pears, Denver - UNDRAFTED
OLT Damion McIntosh, KC – 3rd Round
OLT Barry Sims, Oakland - UNDRAFTED

OLT Flozell Adams, Dallas – 2nd Round
OLT David Diehl, NY Giants – 5th Round
OLT William Thomas, Philadelphia – 1st Round
OLT Chris Samuels, Washington – 1st Round

OLT John Tait, Chicago – 1st Round
OLT Jeff Backus, Detroit – 1st Round
OLT Bryant McKinnie, Minnesota – 1st Round

OLT Quinn Ojinnaka, Atlanta – 5th Round
OLT Travelle Wharton, Carolina – 3rd Round
OLT Jammal Brown, New Orleans – 1st Round
OLT Donald Penn, Tampa Bay - UNDRAFTED

OLT Mike Gandy, Arizona – 3rd Round
OLT Adam Snyder, San Francisco – 3rd Round
OLT Walter Jones, Seattle – 1st Round
OLT Alex Barron, St. Louis – 1st Round

How many non first day picks from that list can you honestly say are good?

Retired_Member_001
01-13-2008, 01:13 PM
Sam Baker looked terrible in the Rose Bowl. On the ground a lot during running plays. Standing around, looking for someone to block on passing plays. He did lock up pretty well on pass-blocking when he could figure out which guy to block. Almost got his qb killed on a blitz when he picked up the inside guy and let the outside guy go.

I don't want Sam Baker.

So you're against him after watching one game?

Lonestar
01-13-2008, 08:13 PM

Yet in most cases they just get better with age, many play into their mid to late 30's Darrell Green think his name was, but he just retired a couple of years ago at 42. WAS drafted Champ to replace him..

CB is not just speed but cunning and experience is HUGE to have.

Watchthemiddle
01-13-2008, 08:16 PM
Yet in most cases they just get better with age, many play into their mid to late 30's Darrell Green think his name was, but he just retired a couple of years ago at 42. WAS drafted Champ to replace him..

CB is not just speed but cunning and experience is HUGE to have.

Same can be said about a WR. Put a older experienced WR against a young CB and the WR will win 98% of the time.

Lonestar
01-13-2008, 08:19 PM
Same can be said about a WR. Put a older experienced WR against a young CB and the WR will win 98% of the time.

Great old players can play as long as the body will allow them two..

Rice was prime time example although he did attempt to play one to many years..

The good ones beat you because they know how to..

broncosinindy
01-21-2008, 09:12 AM
This class\ of safties is horrible. i am not a big fan of kenny "overrated" phillips. While the DT situation is pretty deep this year. Yes a safety is pretty important. especially since i think John Lynch is done i am just thinking he needs to become a brodcaster.(and i like John Lynch) Safties next year are good. take a Tackle this year O or D and go safety next year High. or take on loweer this year

mclark
01-22-2008, 12:56 PM
Like who?...............We need another Zimmerman or Tony Jones........But I don't expect that type of player to land in our laps again.

Jordan Gross

mclark
01-22-2008, 12:59 PM
So you're against him after watching one game?

I actually get a LOT of USC games out here on the West Coast. Baker didn't have a good year. There was talk about his leaving for the draft and being a first round pick last year. But was hurt some this year -- and the games I saw him play (maybe 4), he was not that impressive.

I really watched him closely in the Rose Bowl, to see how he performed. He was NOT very good in that game either.

mclark
01-22-2008, 01:05 PM
How many non first day picks from that list can you honestly say are good?

Well, you can't have first day picks at every position. So you have to decide where you want your first day picks to be. The NY Giants have a first round qb and a fifth round left tackle. And they are in the Super Bowl.

New England has a sixth round qb, and a second round left tackle.

You don't have to have an all-pro left tackle to go to the Super Bowl. But you can't live for ever with day two picks in your offensive line, I'm afraid.

Free agency is also another rout. Sign someone else's second or first round pick.

Lonestar
01-22-2008, 06:08 PM
Well, you can't have first day picks at every position. So you have to decide where you want your first day picks to be. The NY Giants have a first round qb and a fifth round left tackle. And they are in the Super Bowl.

New England has a sixth round qb, and a second round left tackle.

You don't have to have an all-pro left tackle to go to the Super Bowl. But you can't live for ever with day two picks in your offensive line, I'm afraid.

Free agency is also another rout. Sign someone else's second or first round pick.

According to PAT we will be spending less in the FA market than we have in the past.. I would love to see another kick ass draft but maybe three in a row might be asking to much out of mikey..