PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone notice?

BigSarge87
11-10-2009, 12:00 AM
Denver was penalized for a Steelers penalty.

On the Goodman interception in the endzone, the referees called an illegal block in the back on #68 of Denver. If you go back and look at it, it was clearly #68 from Pittsburgh who blocked Peterson (I think) in the back. The ref threw the flag, called the right number, and then penalized Denver for it. LOL

I didn't notice it at first, my brother called and pointed it out to me. Luckily for DVR I went back and looked at it. Sure enough.

I'm not blaming the game on the refs, Denver totally fell apart in the 3rd for the 2nd week in a row, I just thought I would see if anyone else caught that.

Overall, that was the poorest officiating I've seen in a primetime game since the Steelers/Seahawks Superbowl. There was a LOT of blown calls tonight.

That head referee (whom I've never seen before) looked like he was as nervous as a queer eating a hotdog!!

scott.475
11-10-2009, 12:05 AM
That is Mike Carey's (another ref) brother, and he runs a pretty bad ship to tell you the truth. That kind of a blown call should get you eliminated from consideration for post season officiating. That came at a time when the game was still at a point where one score could have made a difference (not that we were going to win anyway), but that truly is the kind of call that could cost a game. Again, not saying we would have won if it had gone right, I doubt we would have, but the NFL cannot accept that kind of mistake, that is huge, literally assessing one teams penalty against the other team. Wow.

Nomad
11-10-2009, 12:07 AM
I noticed one pick off Moreno!!

BigSarge87
11-10-2009, 12:07 AM
Another one that cracked me up was when he called the punt return an 'interception' twice! LOL

What a moron!

shank
11-10-2009, 12:08 AM
the steelers clearly got away with 2 delay of games, one on a third down, which they converted. 00s on the clock before the snap, two times, without a call.

not blaming anythin, but i saw it, without a doubt.

shank
11-10-2009, 12:09 AM
Another one that cracked me up was when he called the punt return an 'interception' twice! LOL

What a moron!

is the ******* guy even watching the game? mike carey is 014938438x better than this joker.

BigSarge87
11-10-2009, 12:10 AM
I noticed one pick off Moreno!!

If you mean the one on the interception return for a TD, I thought that at first also, but I went back and looked at it and the ref actually hit the Steelers safety.

On that play, Knowshon stopped his route and Orton thought he was going to keep going.

BigSarge87
11-10-2009, 12:13 AM
the steelers clearly got away with 2 delay of games, one on a third down, which they converted. 00s on the clock before the snap, two times, without a call.

not blaming anythin, but i saw it, without a doubt.

Yep, I saw it also.

Once again, I'm not blaming the loss on the refs, Denver clearly got manhandled, but I hope that crew gets canned.

I hope Total Access asks Mike Piera about it in the 'Official Review' portion of their show this week.

TXBRONC
11-10-2009, 12:13 AM
If you mean the one on the interception return for a TD, I thought that at first also, but I went back and looked at it and the ref actually hit the Steelers safety.

On that play, Knowshon stopped his route and Orton thought he was going to keep going.

The nose tackle bumped him off his route.

Ravage!!!
11-10-2009, 12:14 AM
I didn't see anything wrong with the reffing crew tonight.

shank
11-10-2009, 12:16 AM

no. just no

i can understand not blaming. but i have dvr. there were 2 instances that clearly had 00 on the play clock before the ball was snapped.

that's not necessarily a game-changing problem, but it IS a reffing crew problem. they were not on top of their shit ravage.

KCL
11-10-2009, 12:16 AM

I didn't either...not at all..there is ALWAYS going to be missed calls and BS calls but I thought the refs were fair tonight.

shank
11-10-2009, 12:17 AM
I didn't either...not at all..there is ALWAYS going to be missed calls and BS calls but I thought the refs were fair tonight.

for the most part they got it right... but delay of game is the easiest penalty in the game to call, and they missed it twice.

KCL
11-10-2009, 12:18 AM
Also that running into the kicker call..if I'm not mistaken...it looked like one of the Broncos pushed the Steeler player into the kicker.

KCL
11-10-2009, 12:19 AM
for the most part they got it right... but delay of game is the easiest penalty in the game to call, and they missed it twice.

Now that I can probably agree with...I was watching the play clock.

BigSarge87
11-10-2009, 12:21 AM

Then you need to get that fat chick off your face and pay attention.

BigSarge87
11-10-2009, 12:24 AM

I didn't say they weren't fair, I didn't think it was lopsided really, I'm just saying they missed a ton of easy calls.

They still aren't as bad as NBA refs (worst people at their profession in pro sports) but they were horrible tonight.

KCL
11-10-2009, 12:26 AM
I didn't say they weren't fair, I didn't think it was lopsided really, I'm just saying they missed a ton of easy calls.

They still aren't as bad as NBA refs (worst people at their profession in pro sports) but they were horrible tonight.

Well speaking of blown calls...can we say "Ed Hochuli"??? :lol:

shank
11-10-2009, 12:27 AM
Now that I can probably agree with...I was watching the play clock.

on both plays, i rewound and went frame by frame. both times, clear as day :00 on the clock before the ball was snapped.

weazel
11-10-2009, 12:50 AM
you cannot complain about officiating when your team plays the Steelers. You just have to go into the game knowing your going to get f***ed on every call. The officiating was horrible, but that didnt lose us the game. The 3 interceptions and lack of coverage lost us the game.

The Steelers are the darlings of the NFL and if the last two Superbowls they won didn't prove that, you need to watch the games again.

KCL
11-10-2009, 01:02 AM
The Steelers are the darlings of the NFL

I thought the Patriots were!

shank
11-10-2009, 01:07 AM

i could have sworn it was the chiefs.

LawDog
11-10-2009, 01:10 AM
What was the deal with Gaffney's incompletion call that Coach challenged in the first half? That same play out in the middle of the field gets called a fumble. He had possession, both feet down and then the ball was punched out.

HORSEPOWER 56
11-10-2009, 01:11 AM

No, Knowshon got bumped by the NT who had dropped back into coverage (which was more than 5 yds downfield by the way) which threw the timing off. Kyle was under pressure and kind of sailed it anyway.

shank
11-10-2009, 01:12 AM
What was the deal with Gaffney's incompletion call that Coach challenged in the first half? That same play out in the middle of the field gets called a fumble. He had possession, both feet down and then the ball was punched out.

right? how in the hell does that play not get overturned? he clearly displayed control and got two feet down befor the ball came out.

before that, the ball was totally stable, not moving at all... good catch, stranger.

weazel
11-10-2009, 01:14 AM

have you seen the last two Superbowls the Steelers were in? They handed them the trophy before the game was played

BTW... Did you know Jerome Bettis is from Detroit?

shank
11-10-2009, 01:22 AM
also, how in the **** was that not a fumble at the end of the game that haggan recovered? please. answer.

weazel
11-10-2009, 01:25 AM
also, how in the **** was that not a fumble at the end of the game that haggan recovered? please. answer.

it was a fumble. the ball was coming out way before he even started going down. I dont argue when its the steelers, I just watch and agree, the NFL gets its way and we have to love it.

... The Broncos didnt lose this game because of officiating though. But that kind of shit is pretty disappointing to watch.

shank
11-10-2009, 01:27 AM
it was a fumble. the ball was coming out way before he even started going down. I dont argue when its the steelers, I just watch and agree, the NFL gets its way and we have to love it.

... The Broncos didnt lose this game because of officiating though. But that kind of shit is pretty disappointing to watch.

i'm not blaming the loss on the calls, but there were multiple TERRIBLE calls. the game may have been closer without them

and there are people in this thread saying the officiating was good. :laugh:

not blaming for the game. attacking the refs for accountability.

if the broncos played a little bit better, one of those calls could have ****** us out of a win.

OrangeHoof
11-10-2009, 02:07 AM
have you seen the last two Superbowls the Steelers were in? They handed them the trophy before the game was played

BTW... Did you know Jerome Bettis is from Detroit?

Keep preaching. I still haven't forgotten that SB against the Seahawks. Nothing said "fix" like that game.

What angered me most was that helmet-to-helmet hit by Harrison on Buckhalter at the end of the game that was not called. He needs to get a fine this week from the commish or McDaniels needs to send a nastygram to Goodell.

weazel
11-10-2009, 02:15 AM
Keep preaching. I still haven't forgotten that SB against the Seahawks. Nothing said "fix" like that game.

What angered me most was that helmet-to-helmet hit by Harrison on Buckhalter at the end of the game that was not called. He needs to get a fine this week from the commish or McDaniels needs to send a nastygram to Goodell.

the same exact hit yesterday was a 15 yard penalty. Buckhalter probably got a concussion and the refs ignored it and the homer announcers ignored it.

If that was Davis hitting Santonio Holmes with a helmet to helmet, we would have heard how it has to be "dealt with for the good of the league"

Dirk
11-10-2009, 07:32 AM
I agree that there were a lot of bad calls. It didn't cause the loss but it never helps.

On the interception involving Moreno....Moreno and the Umpire ran into each other and that caused Moreno to slow down. I re-ran that several times on the DVR because in one view it didn't look like it but it was.

And as far as the league and their golden boys in pads....yeah, they were all over Big Ben's jock all night. The pregame show was nothing but Big Ben and the Steelers. I was so angry throughout the whole game over it.

But....the Broncos could have shut them up but alas they didn't.

EastCoastBronco
11-10-2009, 08:00 AM
The one that hurt the most was when we converted on 4th down and had it hauled back. Can't remember what the call was but that was a big momentum shifter.
Also, the 5 yard penalty given when they totally cranked Berger. WTF? Anytime I've seen something like this it's a 15 yard automatic first down.
I'll reiterate...we didn't lose because of the refs but they were definitely a shit crew.

claymore
11-10-2009, 08:09 AM
The one that hurt the most was when we converted on 4th down and had it hauled back. Can't remember what the call was but that was a big momentum shifter.
Also, the 5 yard penalty given when they totally cranked Berger. WTF? Anytime I've seen something like this it's a 15 yard automatic first down.
I'll reiterate...we didn't lose because of the refs but they were definitely a shit crew.

I think it was holding. A BS holding call if I remember right. I see Doom getting held far worse on every play darn near.

Ravage!!!
11-10-2009, 09:57 AM
I think it was holding. A BS holding call if I remember right. I see Doom getting held far worse on every play darn near.

I don't know. The OLman turned his shoulders and then had to try and keep the DL from rushing past him (parallel to shoulders). Anytime the OL turns his shoulders and he's trying to hold to keep the guy in front of him .. its a hold.

I was surprised that wasn't a bigger penalty on the hitting the kicker...but certainly didn't think the hit from Harrison was cheap or out of line in any way.

pnbronco
11-10-2009, 10:13 AM

It was holding. There were so many BS calls and now that makes sense that Kenny went down on that play on hit to the back. That did back us up. The one that got me was Royal had run out of bounds on a kick off. One of the Steelers hit him, not a big hit but it was a hit after he was out of bounds. They showed it several times on the Big Screen and no flag.

I really thought the Gaffney catch was a catch. Again the Broncos did not help themselves last night but that crew does not deserve to be on any playoff games.

NightTrainLayne
11-10-2009, 11:20 AM

right? how in the hell does that play not get overturned? he clearly displayed control and got two feet down befor the ball came out.

before that, the ball was totally stable, not moving at all... good catch, stranger.

I totally agree that if that happened in the middle of the field and gets recovered by Pittsburgh that they would have ruled it a fumble. He got both feet down and turned.

Now, the announcers (Jaws, Chucky) explained that the reason it was an incomplete catch was that the defender made contact with the receiver BEFORE he got the second foot down and took him to the ground AND the receiver didn't control it through the ground.

That kinda makes sense, but I had never heard that explanation before. In that case it wouldn't be considered a fumble in the middle of the field if they applied that consistently.

LRtagger
11-10-2009, 11:41 AM

Big surprise it was called on Hamilton after he got beat off the line. It was still a questionable call, but if Hamilton keeps the defender in front of him, it's not even a factor.

I remember clear as day because that is when I got online and made the thread to bench him. We would have at least gotten three points out of that drive...instead Berger punts the ball 20 yards and Pitt gets the ball at the 24.

weazel
11-10-2009, 11:42 AM
I don't know. The OLman turned his shoulders and then had to try and keep the DL from rushing past him (parallel to shoulders). Anytime the OL turns his shoulders and he's trying to hold to keep the guy in front of him .. its a hold.

I was surprised that wasn't a bigger penalty on the hitting the kicker...but certainly didn't think the hit from Harrison was cheap or out of line in any way.

it was helmet to helmet! The same exact play happened in a game I was watching Sunday and the dude got 15 yards for it. They want players to stop getting concussions but they let that shit happen and ignore it.

Ravage!!!
11-10-2009, 11:47 AM
it was helmet to helmet! The same exact play happened in a game I was watching Sunday and the dude got 15 yards for it. They want players to stop getting concussions but they let that shit happen and ignore it.

he wasn't head on, it wasn't a clear helmet-to-helmet.. his head had to go in front of the runner cause thats how you tackle. We can't ask these guys to tackle and not be contact on the field. If the fans keep complaining about contact, then the NFL will continue to put flags on players.

I understand this is your opinion, but I personally am glad they didn't call that a helmet-to-helmet call because I want to KEEP football, football. I don't want it to be turned into a flag-football game.

Watchthemiddle
11-10-2009, 11:49 AM
I couldn't believe that was a NFL officiating crew.

How about calling a punt return an interception?

WHAT???

weazel
11-10-2009, 11:50 AM
he wasn't head on, it wasn't a clear helmet-to-helmet.. his head had to go in front of the runner cause thats how you tackle. We can't ask these guys to tackle and not be contact on the field. If the fans keep complaining about contact, then the NFL will continue to put flags on players.

I understand this is your opinion, but I personally am glad they didn't call that a helmet-to-helmet call because I want to KEEP football, football. I don't want it to be turned into a flag-football game.

They showed the replay 3 times it was direct helmet to helmet. You can say anything you want, the fact is, it was.

weazel
11-10-2009, 11:52 AM

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/287433-another-steeler-player-gets-away-with-blatant-helmet-to-helmet-hit

Another Steeler Player Gets Away With Blatant Helmet to Helmet Hit
by ginger masters

Do you think the Steelers are benefactors of bad calls made on other teamss that play them

Steelers defensive player James Harrison got away with a helmet to helmet hit on Broncos running back Moreno. Harrison hit Moreno after he caught a pass from Orton in the middle of the field. Harrison then hit Moreno with his helmet injuring Moreno. The officials in the game did not flag Harrison. Harrison then celebrated the hit after he looked down at the injured Moreno. Open up your eyes refs and start calling penalties on the steelers quit helping them win. The league needs to investigate as to why the Steelers are benefactors of poor calls made on the other teams or lack of penalties thrown on them. Goddell needs to quit having two sets of rules. He displays a clear bias when it comes to handing down fines for hits

Ravage!!!
11-10-2009, 11:56 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/287433-another-steeler-player-gets-away-with-blatant-helmet-to-helmet-hit

Another Steeler Player Gets Away With Blatant Helmet to Helmet Hit
by ginger masters

Do you think the Steelers are benefactors of bad calls made on other teamss that play them

Steelers defensive player James Harrison got away with a helmet to helmet hit on Broncos running back Moreno. Harrison hit Moreno after he caught a pass from Orton in the middle of the field. Harrison then hit Moreno with his helmet injuring Moreno. The officials in the game did not flag Harrison. Harrison then celebrated the hit after he looked down at the injured Moreno. Open up your eyes refs and start calling penalties on the steelers quit helping them win. The league needs to investigate as to why the Steelers are benefactors of poor calls made on the other teams or lack of penalties thrown on them. Goddell needs to quit having two sets of rules. He displays a clear bias when it comes to handing down fines for hits

what does this prove other than someone agrees with you? That doesn't make it a fact... I dont' even know the guy that wrote this article, how am I supposed to take this to mean anything???

This just sounds like another angry fan that believes certain teams get 'away' with stuff with I personally believe thats just... junk. I'm not a conspiracy type of guy, and think this "the steelers get away" argument is just silly.

underrated29
11-10-2009, 11:57 AM
that was really terrible officiating for sure. There was one play where clady was holding the shishkabob out of someone, but got away with it.

Very bad indeed.

weazel
11-10-2009, 12:01 PM
what does this prove other than someone agrees with you? That doesn't make it a fact... I dont' even know the guy that wrote this article, how am I supposed to take this to mean anything???

This just sounds like another angry fan that believes certain teams get 'away' with stuff with I personally believe thats just... junk. I'm not a conspiracy type of guy, and think this "the steelers get away" argument is just silly.

you weren't watching the game. helmet to helmet, you know it was. Youre being foolish

Ravage!!!
11-10-2009, 12:01 PM
you weren't watching the game. helmet to helmet, you know it was. Youre being foolish

yeah.. thats it, weazel... I wasn't watching the game

OrangeHoof
11-10-2009, 12:09 PM
that was really terrible officiating for sure. There was one play where clady was holding the shishkabob out of someone, but got away with it.

Very bad indeed.

I do recall one pass in the flat where the Broncos' lineman all but wore a blinking neon sign that says "I'm HOLDING" and there was no call. So, yes, the officiating sucked but the officials didn't cause us to lose the game. You just expect better out of NFL.

weazel
11-10-2009, 12:13 PM
a good one was where they showed a replay of the Pitt offensive lineman face masking Dumervil not once, but twice... then the announcer said, thats just a good player using his size to his advantage! Dum's helmet was turned right around on his head!

jhildebrand
11-10-2009, 12:40 PM
The steeler catch on 3rd down (about 10 minute mark in 3rd quarter) on their TD drive wasn't even a catch. I am still confused why McDaniels didn't challenge it???!!! The ball clearly skipped!

denbroncofan26
11-10-2009, 01:34 PM
There will always be missed calls but if you dont think this game was extraordinarily poor officiating you werent watching. They clearly assessed that PIT penalty against Denver, helmet to helmet that couldnt be more obvious was missed on Buckhalter, multiple delay of games werent called, a clear roughing the kicker call was miscalled as running into the kicker, an interception returned for 6 happened when an official picked off moreno on a pass route (the ball was thrown high anyway but had Moreno not been stopped by ref he could have deflected the ball or at least tackled the guy before he returns it all the way), holding calls were missed on both sides and selectively called throughout the game (holding happens on almsost every play, just try to have some consistency on the call), on a humorous note the head ref called a punt return an interception twice. It was almost like they werent even watching the same game I was....

Denver got beat plain and simple so Im not blaming the refs but they sure didnt help our cause at all. This crew is absolutely terrible and ought to be fired.

topscribe
11-10-2009, 01:44 PM

They might have tried to be fair, but I'm not sure they succeeded. I thought
they were more incompetent than they should have been.

Case in point is that Dumervil was held so badly that I was beginning to think
they had crushes on him.

On the other side, I think Ty Law doubled the size of the receiver's jersey a
couple times (which is a sign of good coverage if he can get away with it).

I don't believe this was a particularly sterling effort by the officials. But then,
the way the Broncos played in the fourth quarter, who are we to talk? :tsk:

-----

KCL
11-10-2009, 02:14 PM
They might have tried to be fair, but I'm not sure they succeeded. I thought
they were more incompetent than they should have been.

Case in point is that Dumervil was held so badly that I was beginning to think
they had crushes on him.

On the other side, I think Ty Law doubled the size of the receiver's jersey a
couple times (which is a sign of good coverage if he can get away with it).

I don't believe this was a particularly sterling effort by the officials. But then,
the way the Broncos played in the fourth quarter, who are we to talk? :tsk:

-----
I saw Law hanging on to the jersey and he DID get away with it...didn't he?
Sorry I watched the whole game and I still think they were okay..there is always like I said going to be some blown calls...like several years ago when Denver was playing at Arrowhead and Dante Hall ran one back for a TD...:eek: :lol:

Ravage!!!
11-10-2009, 02:20 PM
like several years ago when Denver was playing at Arrowhead and Dante Hall ran one back for a TD...:eek: :lol:

OMG.. KCL... that is one of the very few plays that STILL makes me SCREAM when I see a replay of it!! :lol: Something about that play that just makes my blood boil! :beer:

KCL
11-10-2009, 02:21 PM
OMG.. KCL... that is one of the very few plays that STILL makes me SCREAM when I see a replay of it!! :lol: Something about that play that just makes my blood boil! :beer:

Hey I happen to like that return! :lol: Where the hell is Dante at these days?
Last I knew he was signed by the Rams a few years ago.

Poet
11-10-2009, 02:22 PM
no. just no

i can understand not blaming. but i have dvr. there were 2 instances that clearly had 00 on the play clock before the ball was snapped.

that's not necessarily a game-changing problem, but it IS a reffing crew problem. they were not on top of their shit ravage.

Agreed. I would argue that it hit zero three times.

I say a couple of holds on both teams that were pretty obvious to me.

weazel
11-10-2009, 02:22 PM
I saw Law hanging on to the jersey and he DID get away with it...didn't he?
Sorry I watched the whole game and I still think they were okay..there is always like I said going to be some blown calls...like several years ago when Denver was playing at Arrowhead and Dante Hall ran one back for a TD...:eek: :lol:

weren't there missed calls on EVERY Hall return?

KCL
11-10-2009, 02:23 PM
weren't there missed calls on EVERY Hall return?

No..I don't believe so...just 4 or 5...on that one return...:hahaha: :lol:

KCL
11-10-2009, 02:24 PM
Agreed. I would argue that it hit zero three times.

I say a couple of holds on both teams that were pretty obvious to me.

Hell what team DOESN'T hold...they all do it.

Poet
11-10-2009, 02:25 PM
Hell what team DOESN'T hold...they all do it.

My team. :D

Ravage!!!
11-10-2009, 02:25 PM
no. just no

Actually.... the clock you see on tv is not the official time clock... nor is it the official play clock. Those are held by the refs. So the fractions of a second could be the simpliest difference between humans from one holding the clock (in the booth) to the one that counts, on the field.

KCL
11-10-2009, 02:27 PM
Actually.... the clock you see on tv is not the official time clock... nor is it the official play clock. Those are held by the refs.

How do you know that? and why would they show us something different than what it actually is?

Ravage!!!
11-10-2009, 02:30 PM
How do you know that? and why would they show us something different than what it actually is?

Well, I know that because thats just the way it is on every game. The officials on the field keep the 'official' time... just in case of a scoreboard malfunction (and to eliminate the 'homefield' advantage of the scoreboard operator bleeding off seconds or giving seconds with late 'starts' of the clock).

The time on the clock is pretty close, its just not official. Sometimes the guy in the booth can start the clock micro-fractions differently than the man on the field does, but those micro-fractions are all that it takes sometimes. So the TV/fan clock is just one so that the fans and the viewers have a very close approximation of the official time. Hence why you will see the refs having the 'scoreboard' clock changed.

weazel
11-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Actually.... the clock you see on tv is not the official time clock... nor is it the official play clock. Those are held by the refs. So the fractions of a second could be the simpliest difference between humans from one holding the clock (in the booth) to the one that counts, on the field.

ravage is correct

Poet
11-10-2009, 02:44 PM
Ravage is correct. That being said, it's as accurate as the yellow first down lines they have put down over the years which used to be only somewhat accurate and now are almost always accurate.

Trust me, the refs missed a delay of game penalty.

horsepig
11-10-2009, 02:55 PM
I like it when the refs let'em play. That national championship game with USC vs Texas and Vince Young was one of the best games ever to watch, there was one, I mean ONE, holding call that entire game. IIRC, there were only 3 flags the entire game-made for a fun game to watch.

Great plays stood instead of being over-ruled by some pompous official and fans of both teams were actually able to enjoy the results of great efforts by their respective teams.

Ravage!!!
11-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Ravage is correct. That being said, it's as accurate as the yellow first down lines they have put down over the years which used to be only somewhat accurate and now are almost always accurate.

Trust me, the refs missed a delay of game penalty.

well.. they took the human variable out of the yellow line. They used to have a guy in the booth that used the yellow cursor and would place it manually. Not that way anymore.

So until the ref's clock on the field, is synched to the clock on the scoreboard, there will always be differences. We just don't know 'precisely' when the guy on the field started the clock compared to the guy in the booth. So I'm not so sure we can say it was a definite. We see that every game though.

horsepig
11-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Irv Brown, the best BB ref I ever watched (now pay up that Dr. Pepper, Irv) always said his job was simply to prevent one player(s) or a team from getting an unfair advantage.

I asked him one time about a particular call his partner, "Moose" Stubing, made during a game and Irv was noncommittal. So, I said, "What does the rulebook say?". Irv says, "Gee, I've never read the rulebook.". LMFAO. Good ole Irv, a guy that reffed, IIRC,
5 final 4's!

Denver Native (Carol)
11-10-2009, 03:26 PM
http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/timing

Timing

1. The stadium game clock is official. In case it stops or is operating incorrectly, the Line Judge takes over the official timing on the field.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-10-2009, 04:10 PM

Timing

1. The stadium game clock is official. In case it stops or is operating incorrectly, the Line Judge takes over the official timing on the field.

In games I have watched before, the head referee makes an announcement that there is something wrong with the stadium game clock, and the official time will be kept on the field. I did not hear any such announcement in the game last night. If there was one, I missed it.

weazel
11-10-2009, 04:19 PM

Timing

nice! that teaches me for looking for the answers on wikipedia :tsk:

spikerman
11-10-2009, 07:43 PM
Ok, I have some opinions on the officiating.

First, the Gaffney "catch". By rule that was an incomplete pass because the receiver has to control the ball through the catch. Getting two feet down had nothing to do with it. Since he was not able to make a "football move" he had to go to the ground and maintain possession of the ball. He didn't, therefore it was an incomplete pass.

Second, the official and Moreno bumping. It looked to me like the official had more contact with a Steeler than with Moreno, but it doesn't matter either way. The officials are a part of the field and the players have to work around them. The players actually try to use officials (especially the umpire) to their advantage by running close to them to try to "rub" defenders off. It happens all the time, even at the high school and semi pro level (where I officiate).

Third, the delay of game is a judgement call. Typically it will be the Back Judge who calls that and I don't know any Back Judges that throw the flag the second the play clock hits :00. Usually they will give them about a full second after that to get the play off. I thought those calls were close, but I understood why it wasn't called.

Fourth, I thought running into the kicker was the right call. Usually if the defensive player runs into the extended leg of the kicker the 5 yard penalty will be called. If he runs into the plant leg or goes up high, etc. it will be called "roughing". In reality it's a judgement call, but personally I agreed it was running into, and not roughing, the kicker.

Now, I agree there was a lot of holding taking place by both teams and the Steelers definitely got away with a lot more. I'm not sure the Steelers were ever called for holding. I thought some of them were very blatant. There was even an obvious illegal hands to the face by the LT against Dumervil that wasn't called, but it is what it is. The Broncos got away with a few too.

Anyway, the officials had nothing to do with the outcome of the game and all of this is just my $.02 worth.

frenchfan
11-12-2009, 03:02 AM
Denver was penalized for a Steelers penalty.

On the Goodman interception in the endzone, the referees called an illegal block in the back on #68 of Denver. If you go back and look at it, it was clearly #68 from Pittsburgh who blocked Peterson (I think) in the back. The ref threw the flag, called the right number, and then penalized Denver for it. LOL

I didn't notice it at first, my brother called and pointed it out to me. Luckily for DVR I went back and looked at it. Sure enough.

I'm not blaming the game on the refs, Denver totally fell apart in the 3rd for the 2nd week in a row, I just thought I would see if anyone else caught that.

Overall, that was the poorest officiating I've seen in a primetime game since the Steelers/Seahawks Superbowl. There was a LOT of blown calls tonight.

That head referee (whom I've never seen before) looked like he was as nervous as a queer eating a hotdog!!Yeah I agree... I didn't understand it too... But I thought it was because I'm French :laugh:

Well... I'm not saying we were defeated by officials decisions (Steelers were better than us, period), but I did noticed 3 bad calls :
- An incomplete pass on Gaffney (I guess?) despite he had control of the ball before fumbling it outbounds
- An holding not called that gave a Steelers a good pass in the 3rd quarter (the same play was called on Broncos BTW).
- The one you've mentionned...

But I won't complain... That's football... Period... After all, last year, we won a game thanks to bad officials decisions ;) :D

Bottom line is that we have to play better...

Reidman
11-12-2009, 12:29 PM
Hey, the fact they referred to a punt return as an interception should say something about this officiating crew...I won't say that Pitt was the beneficiary of the bad call bandits however, they were on both sides of the ball. Just plain bad and I think Mike Pereira needs to evaluate these guys...

Hell, reminded me of watching Thur night football with Gumbel...:tsk:

SoCoPoCo
11-12-2009, 01:35 PM
Ok, I have some opinions on the officiating.

First, the Gaffney "catch". By rule that was an incomplete pass because the receiver has to control the ball through the catch. Getting two feet down had nothing to do with it. Since he was not able to make a "football move" he had to go to the ground and maintain possession of the ball. He didn't, therefore it was an incomplete pass.

Second, the official and Moreno bumping. It looked to me like the official had more contact with a Steeler than with Moreno, but it doesn't matter either way. The officials are a part of the field and the players have to work around them. The players actually try to use officials (especially the umpire) to their advantage by running close to them to try to "rub" defenders off. It happens all the time, even at the high school and semi pro level (where I officiate).

Third, the delay of game is a judgement call. Typically it will be the Back Judge who calls that and I don't know any Back Judges that throw the flag the second the play clock hits :00. Usually they will give them about a full second after that to get the play off. I thought those calls were close, but I understood why it wasn't called.

Fourth, I thought running into the kicker was the right call. Usually if the defensive player runs into the extended leg of the kicker the 5 yard penalty will be called. If he runs into the plant leg or goes up high, etc. it will be called "roughing". In reality it's a judgement call, but personally I agreed it was running into, and not roughing, the kicker.

Now, I agree there was a lot of holding taking place by both teams and the Steelers definitely got away with a lot more. I'm not sure the Steelers were ever called for holding. I thought some of them were very blatant. There was even an obvious illegal hands to the face by the LT against Dumervil that wasn't called, but it is what it is. The Broncos got away with a few too.

Anyway, the officials had nothing to do with the outcome of the game and all of this is just my $.02 worth.

Very good post and I agree with most of what you're saying. Question for you, though: what was your take on the fumble at the goal line on the Steeler's last possession. That one, to me, was pretty clear as Mendenhall was losing possession as he stumbled and our player (can't recall who at the moment) ended up with it.

gregbroncs
11-12-2009, 02:23 PM

before that, the ball was totally stable, not moving at all... good catch, stranger.What got me is just last week it was a similar situation and they called it a catch and fumble and gave the ball to Baltimore. One or the other but you shouldn't **** us twice on very similar plays called the opposite way.

frenchfan
11-13-2009, 02:03 AM
Very good post and I agree with most of what you're saying. Question for you, though: what was your take on the fumble at the goal line on the Steeler's last possession. That one, to me, was pretty clear as Mendenhall was losing possession as he stumbled and our player (can't recall who at the moment) ended up with it.I agree with you... To me, that was a fumble... But let's see the rule : the officials rule on the field was down by contact before losing the ball...
The replays didn't give a CLEAR evidence of a fumble, so the rule on the field stands...
I was really more fed up about the catch not allowed to Gaffney... It was at a key moment... But well... this is part of football... If we had played better we wouldn't care about that now ;)

Go Broncos... :defense:

rcsodak
11-15-2009, 11:37 AM

IDEA!!!!

Let's put a helmet on Rav and replay that tackle a few times! :elefant: