PDA

View Full Version : Kubiak Hires Alex Gibbs

Bronco9798
01-09-2008, 05:43 PM
The Texans have a new assistant head coach and a new offensive coordinator.

They hired Alex Gibbs as assistant head coach and promoted quarterbacks coach Kyle Shanahan to offensive corodinator.

Gibbs, who retired from the NFL last year after spending three seasons with Atlanta, spent 13 years as the offensive line coach and assistant head coach at Denver when Gary Kubiak was a backup quarterback and offensive coordinator.

"Alex is an outstanding coach, and we're fortunate to get him," Kubiak said. "I'm not sure how long we'll have him, but whether it's one year, two years or longer, we've got to soak up his knowledge of the game.

"I'm excited to have Kyle as the new coordinator. I don't care about his age. I've worked side-by-side with him, and his knowledge of attacking coverages is beyond his years. I think he's going to make an excellent play-caller, too."

Gibbs, 66, replaces Mike Sherman on the staff. Sherman, who was hired by Texas A&M, was assistant head coach/offensive coordinator.

"There's no doubt in my mind that Alex is going to help make us a better team," Kubiak said. "I can promise you that we're going to run the ball better."

Gibbs, who also was being pursued by Kansas City and Baltimore, will oversee everything on offense. He'll work closely with offensive line coach John Benton.

With Gibbs, the Texans will tailor their running game to the zone blocking scheme he put in at Denver and Atlanta. During his three seasons with the Falcons (2004-06), the Falcons led the league in rushing each season.

BroncoJoe
01-09-2008, 05:46 PM
Wow. Getting Gibbs and promoting Shanahan's son to OC.

They're the southern Broncos officially now.

claymore
01-09-2008, 05:47 PM
great news, good for Kubes.

BOSSHOGG30
01-09-2008, 06:07 PM
Kubes is putting together a good team. Houston fans should be pround and excited.

Skinny
01-09-2008, 06:17 PM
Look out ... there's a new Sherrif in town ...

Gibbs is a genius and his impact on that team will be felt for years. His ability to find talent and Coach it is unbeleivable ...

Meh, who am i telling this too that does'nt already know ... :rolleyes:

I don't know what Mikey's plans are for Bobby Turner in the near future, but he better take notice.

Just sayin ...

SmilinAssasSin27
01-09-2008, 06:30 PM
Anyone else jealous?

mclark
01-09-2008, 07:26 PM
Feels like we're behind the curve.

Boss, what's the story on the curvacious brunette taking off her shirt in your signature? I probably should recognize it -- but I do appreciate it. I don recognize the majungas -- but not the face.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-09-2008, 07:28 PM
Salma hayek...there is an entire thread in the Lounge just for her...yer welcome.

mclark
01-09-2008, 07:46 PM
Salma hayek...there is an entire thread in the Lounge just for her...yer welcome.

Thanks. I do know her face. Beautiful points of honor as well.

omac
01-09-2008, 08:44 PM
Good for Kubes; they just couldn't get the zone blocking right the last 2 seasons and were using more of Sherman's running attack from Green Bay. That should make them an even better offensive team.

Watchthemiddle
01-10-2008, 07:35 PM
Seems Kubs is doing everything right to build a good team for years to come.

Good coaching...good young talent...

I still believe he could make the playoffs before we do again.

One team seems to be going forwards..the other stagnant or backwards.