PDA

View Full Version : Engelberger wins Ed Block

BroncoAV06
01-09-2008, 02:10 PM
By Andrew Mason
DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Thanksgiving weekend, a young running back's courage was at the centerpiece of a Broncos offensive display that saw them amass 34 points against the Chicago Bears.

And while Andre Hall's afternoon-long slog to 167 yards from scrimmage on a high-ankle sprain sustained on the game's first play was among the most captivating individual storylines for a Broncos player in the 2007 season, he was only following the example of a teammate.

That teammate? John Engelberger.

It was the example set by Engelberger for younger teammates like the first-year running back that made the eight-year veteran the Broncos' 2007 nominee for the Ed Block Courage Award.

"Look at John Engelberger; he had a dislocated shoulder," Hall said. "I learned so much from John, from him going out there. ... I watched him and Rod (Smith) just push through things. I learned a lot."

Smith is one of the Broncos' past winners of the team Ed Block Award, earning the honor in 1999. Engelberger joins a distinguished group of Broncos award winners after playing in all 16 games in 2007, enduring the balance of those games with a shoulder injury that placed him on the injury report week after week.

Engelberger was limited in some practices because of the injury, but when the games arrived, the Virginia Tech product was ready. He finished the season with 56 total tackles -- 38 solo and 18 assists -- along with a sack of Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger in Week 7. He also broke up a pair of passes and forced a fumble.

The 56 total tackles were his most for a single season since joining the Broncos via a July 15, 2005 swap with the San Francisco 49ers. His statistics and contributions were solid, but his example is what will linger, as when young teammates like Hall felt pain, all they had to do was look towards Engelberger to see how to handle it.

"If he can play with a dislocated shoulder," said Hall, "(then) why can't I play with an ankle injury?"

The Ed Block Courage Award is named for the long-time trainer for the Baltimore Colts. The award's foundation promotes the prevention of child abuse by raising awareness of the epidemic and assisting agencies who provide for the care and treatment of abused children.

Past Broncos winners of the team Ed Block Courage Award include:

2006: Louis Green
2005: Dwayne Carswell
2004: Dan Neil
2003: Tom Nalen
2002: Keith Burns
2001: Terrell Davis
2000: John Mobley
1999: Rod Smith
1998: Tony Jones
1997: Steve Atwater
1996: Ed McCaffrey
1995: Dave Wyman
1994: Rondel Jones
1993: Simon Fletcher
1992: Dennis Smith
1991: John Elway
1990: Keith Kartz
1989: Rick Dennison
1988: Gerald Willhite
1987: Dennis Smith
1986: Rubin Carter
1985: Rulon Jones
1984: Keith Bishop

For more on the Ed Block Award and its foundation, visit www.edblock.com.

Everybody hates on John, everybody wants him out. I know that he is not going to set the world on fire but the man is a player that goes 100% on every play. It was one of the bright spots to see last year from the defesne, a player that never gave up. Congrats on the award John and keep up the hard work!

HolyDiver
01-09-2008, 02:19 PM
I have always been curious how Engelberger would do as a Linebacker.

mclark
01-09-2008, 02:26 PM
Good post. Interesting read.

Skinny
01-09-2008, 02:28 PM
I seen this not to long ago ... congrats to John E.

That's a great accomplishment and reward that shows his teamates recognize his heart and desire/passion to play the game. That reward has 'respect' written all over it.

Big kudos' to Engelberger ...

HolyDiver
01-09-2008, 02:29 PM
Good post. Interesting read.

Yeah it was.............I'm not a big Engelberger fan.............I think he's not what we need at DE.............But take his intensisty and hustle and put him at MLB...............how does everyone think he would do there...............He's not slow and weighs around 260.

BOSSHOGG30
01-09-2008, 02:30 PM
Still only a back up player... I have know idea why he is starting.

HolyDiver
01-09-2008, 02:33 PM

He's got a Champions attitude but not alot of physical talent. I really think he's done in Denver.

BroncoAV06
01-09-2008, 02:35 PM

Injuries. Sometimes it pays off to give all you got.

Skinny
01-09-2008, 02:35 PM
Everybody hates on John, everybody wants him out. I know that he is not going to set the world on fire but the man is a player that goes 100% on every play. Don't let a couple bad apples spoil the whole bunch AV ... not everybody hates on him and wants him out. It's kinda like the Mike Leach thing IMO. Some people just really don't understand what he brings to the game and the constant Pro that they are.

And like you said, he does'nt set the world on fire and bottom line to alot of haters, his name does'nt jump out you with 'Pro Bowler' written all over it. But he's as consistant as they come and you never hear anything negative about the guy.

Prop's to yer Adoptee! :salute:

Lonestar
01-09-2008, 02:43 PM

I suspect you meant NO..

But until someone better shows up and takes it from him he is just Mr Johnny Hustle..
not completely overpaid but he did ok for his salary

Player Base Salary Sign Bonus Other Bonus Total Salary Cap Value Position
Crowder, Tim $ 285,000 $ 1,037,000 $ 334,000 $ 1,322,000 $ 544,250
Dumervil, Elvis $ 360,000 $ 399,000 $ 6,360 $ 366,360 $ 466,110
Ekuban, Ebenezer $ 2,210,000 $ 1,300,000 $ 796,240 $ 2,216,240 $ 3,802,908
Engelberger, John $ 1,365,000 $ 750,000 $ 306,480 $ 1,371,480 $ 1,621,480
McKinley, Alvin $ 720,000 $ 1,000,000 $ 100,000 $ 1,820,000 $ 1,070,000
Moss, Jarvis $ 285,000 $ 500,000 $ 3,025,000 $ 1,700,000 $ 1,300,000
Rice, Simeon $ 820,000 $ 2,180,000 $ 1,000,000 $ 3,000,000 $ 3,000,000

HolyDiver
01-09-2008, 02:49 PM
Don't let a couple bad apples spoil the whole bunch AV ... not everybody hates on him and wants him out. It's kinda like the Mike Leach thing IMO. Some people just really don't understand what he brings to the game and the constant Pro that they are.

And like you said, he does'nt set the world on fire and bottom line to alot of haters, his name does'nt jump out you with 'Pro Bowler' written all over it. But he's as consistant as they come and you never hear anything negative about the guy.

Prop's to yer Adoptee! :salute:

He had 1 sack.............And he started all 16 games. .................Nice guy, but I want production from our players, not, well, he tries hard.

HolyDiver
01-09-2008, 02:51 PM
Give me **** Butkis, Jack Tatum, Bill Romanowski and Lawrence Taylor..............None of these guys will win the "nice guy" award. But they will wreck havok on the football field.................Which, is the whole idea.

BOSSHOGG30
01-09-2008, 02:53 PM
Yeah, I'm all for Engelberger work ethic, but we aren't looking for Rudy... we need the best players on the field that we can muster.

shank
01-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Don't let a couple bad apples spoil the whole bunch AV ... not everybody hates on him and wants him out. It's kinda like the Mike Leach thing IMO. Some people just really don't understand what he brings to the game and the constant Pro that they are.

hell i think that mike leach is one of our most valuable players!!

i really like john as a backup, but not as a starter. a guy who works like he does and give a consistent effort does deserve a place on this team, but he really just doesn't have the raw talent to be a starter. i think he's very deserving of this award and i'm glad he got it.

hopefully he earns a spot on this roster next year. but hopefully he's not starting :D

BOSSHOGG30
01-09-2008, 03:01 PM
Great list of players that have won that award though.

HolyDiver
01-09-2008, 03:18 PM
Great list of players that have won that award though.

Absolutely.............It does make me want to find Engelberger a more secure position. That's why I mentioned MLB.............It finds a way to keep him on the field. Because next season, he won't start, and may not make the roster at DE.

BroncoAV06
01-09-2008, 03:27 PM
BOSSHOGG30
Yeah, I'm all for Engelberger work ethic, but we aren't looking for Rudy... we need the best players on the field that we can muster.

HolyDiver
He had 1 sack.............And he started all 16 games. .................Nice guy, but I want production from our players, not, well, he tries hard.

Really I don't know what is so hard to understand. He won this award due to leaving it all on the field. Not every player is going to but up huge numbers. He is not a pass rusher DE, he is a vetern back up/rotation player that was a starter due to injury. Its not like he was on the field every play, Cordwer got his reps. Teams need players like this, hard worker that sets examples for others.

In no way could Engelberger play LB, he is a down lineman. If he continues to work hard and can show it on the field it is up to him if he will have a roster spot next season. EE, Doom, Crowder, Moss and John E. Denver loves to rotate so they will always carry linemen.

Skinny
01-09-2008, 03:31 PM
He had 1 sack.............And he started all 16 games. .................Nice guy, but I want production from our players, not, well, he tries hard.Sacks don't tell the whole story ... he's a solid run defender, best run defender we had at DE ... the reason he started.

I've said it before and i'll say it again ... Crowders emergence might make Engelberger expendable this off-season, maybe not. I would like to see him stay but he may have to take a pay cut and be reserved to a back-up role.

He'll be making what 1.5 mill in 08'?? And this year is 'optional' on his contract ...

Still a steady player ...

hell i think that mike leach is one of our most valuable players!!Me too, that's my point. Not alot of fans see it that way ... i'm one of the ones who does ... reason for the comparison ...

http://broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139&highlight=mike+leach

BOSSHOGG30
01-09-2008, 03:35 PM
Really I don't know what is so hard to understand. He won this award due to leaving it all on the field. Not every player is going to but up huge numbers. He is not a pass rusher DE, he is a vetern back up/rotation player that was a starter due to injury. Its not like he was on the field every play, Cordwer got his reps. Teams need players like this, hard worker that sets examples for others.

In no way am I saying he shouldn't be on the team... I said he is no better than a back up. He reminds me of Rudy of Norte Dame. It's great to have players like him on the team, but they shouldn't be starting, I don't care how nice the guy is.

HolyDiver
01-09-2008, 03:45 PM
Sacks don't tell the whole story ... he's a solid run defender, best run defender we had at DE ... the reason he started.

I've said it before and i'll say it again ... Crowders emergence might make Engelberger expendable this off-season, maybe not. I would like to see him stay but he may have to take a pay cut and be reserved to a back-up role.

He'll be making what 1.5 mill in 08'?? And this year is 'optional' on his contract ...

Still a steady player ...

Me too, that's my point. Not alot of fans see it that way ... i one of the ones who does ... reason for the comparison ...

http://broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139&highlight=mike+leach

He's a decent run defender, but no better than Dumervil that can also give you alot of sacks............... Dumervil doesn't get the credit he deserves on stopping the run.....................But I've seen Engelberger out of position alot this season.................Never the less, I respect the guy and think it's very cool he won this great honor............

pnbronco
01-10-2008, 10:10 PM
Congrat John, you give it your all day in and day out. Thanks for the great article Av. At fan fair someone asked the rookies who they were learning the most from and the defensive players all said Engelberger.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-11-2008, 05:16 PM
Love the guy on the team, but should be in a reserve role.

BroncoWave
01-11-2008, 06:18 PM
Everybody hates on John, everybody wants him out. I know that he is not going to set the world on fire but the man is a player that goes 100% on every play. It was one of the bright spots to see last year from the defesne, a player that never gave up. Congrats on the award John and keep up the hard work!

This is nothing against John, just a statement in general.

If I was in the NFL I'd give it 100% on every play too, but I still wouldn't be any good.

BroncoAV06
01-11-2008, 06:21 PM
This is nothing against John, just a statement in general.

If I was in the NFL I'd give it 100% on every play too, but I still wouldn't be any good.

ok, but not all players go 100% either.