PDA

View Full Version : Attack Style Defense...

MHCBill
01-09-2008, 07:35 AM
I'll reserve judgement on Slowick for three reasons...

1. Don't have a choice.

2. With Slowik calling defenses, many in the league expect the Broncos to blitz more than they did last season.

In his last season as a coordinator - 2004 in Green Bay - Slowik rushed at least five players on 40 percent of pass plays early in that season, and by season's end, had rushed at least five on 29 percent of pass plays overall.

He rushed at least six on a little more than 10 percent of pass plays overall that year as well.

3. Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey, an eight-time Pro Bowl selection, has called Slowik "the best coach I've ever had."

I'd like to know a little more about his "scheme", but if it includes "one-gap" attack style then I would say Sedrick Ellis would be fine with me as our #1 pick.

Phillips or Ellis at #12...

WARHORSE
01-09-2008, 07:47 AM
Im for giving Slowick a chance. Mainly because its done.

SoCoPoCo
01-09-2008, 07:58 AM
3. Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey, an eight-time Pro Bowl selection, has called Slowik "the best coach I've ever had."

Hmmm....not that this would have anything to do with his promotion. <sarcasm> If Champ supports Slowik, that's good news IMO. It beats the heck out of trying to sell our best defender on a system (or coach) he doesn't like.

BOSSHOGG30
01-09-2008, 09:03 AM
Just read that **** LeBeau is no longer under contract with the Steelers, but the Steelers want to keep him.... Maybe the Broncos can sneak in there and over bid the Steelers and bring him into Denver.

Broncolingus
01-09-2008, 09:07 AM
Whoever Denver ends up finally choosing needs to stay in the job longer than 16 games...

Bronco9798
01-09-2008, 09:29 AM
ATTENTION: Slowik is our coordinator. (just my opinion, of course).

broncofanatic1987
01-09-2008, 09:33 AM
I know there are a lot of people who think Slowik sucks, but it remains to be seen what he can do in Denver. If the Broncos continue their trend of picking good players in the draft, maybe he will have the talent he needs to produce a good defense.

Maybe now the trade to get the fourth pick to get Marcus Thomas won't seem so bad. Thomas might actually prove to be worth the three picks we gave up in order to be able to select him in the fourth round last year. I don't think that would have happened if Bates had stayed and reimplemented his scheme. It still might not happen, but there's probably a better chance of it happening now.

If it is true that Ian Gold is likely to be released this offseason, I think linebacker becomes a higher priority than defensive tackle considering Slowik likes to blitz. Maybe they address it in free agency, but if they don't, I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a move to take a linebacker first in the draft.

I'm not looking for Slowik to produce a dominant defense. He just needs to produce one that gives the offense a chance to keep up with the other team. If the Broncos keep Walker and fix the offensive line, the offense has a real chance to be a juggernaut. In that case, the defense doesn't have to be great, it just has to be good enough.

Bronco9798
01-09-2008, 09:36 AM
I'm not looking for Slowik to produce a dominant defense. He just needs to produce one that gives the offense a chance to keep up with the other team

Absolutely, I agree.

MHCBill
01-09-2008, 09:44 AM
Just read that **** LeBeau is no longer under contract with the Steelers, but the Steelers want to keep him.... Maybe the Broncos can sneak in there and over bid the Steelers and bring him into Denver.
Doesn't LeBeau run a 3-4?

Skinny
01-09-2008, 09:46 AM
Just read that **** LeBeau is no longer under contract with the Steelers, but the Steelers want to keep him.... Maybe the Broncos can sneak in there and over bid the Steelers and bring him into Denver.BOSS, why would LeBeau want to leave the stability of Pitt to go to Denver with a 1 year window looming over his head?? Seriously ... at this point it's not about money, it's about job security when the DC job for Denver is brought up ... and there is'nt any now. No legit Defensive minded guy with a job in his right mind would go to Denver right now. If i'm wrong, i'll be right here for the flaming and crow eating ceremony.

Mikey's made his bed and he's going to have to lie in it ...

CoachChaz
01-09-2008, 09:47 AM
I'm on board with it until it's a proven failure.
________
ANGELINA JOLIE PICTURES (http://www.angelinajoliepics.net/)

MHCBill
01-09-2008, 09:49 AM
Again, I don't care what the coordinator's name is, but I do want someone to attack the offense.

Yes, in a perfect world your four down linemen would hopefully be able to present such pressure, but if they are unable to then blitz creatively.

Attack the QB... attack the offensive line... create confusion... dictate to their offense.

Lastly, show the willingess to adapt and make in game changes if neccessary. If something isn't working then change mid-stream. Make halftime adjustments. Do something! I hate watching us play prevent all game long and do nothing about it schematically.

Let's hope the new defensive coordinator believes in these three principles...

1. Attack the offense (QB, line, backs, etc.)
2. Ability to make game-time adjustments
3. Utilize the players strengths, minimize their weaknesses

pilfin
01-09-2008, 10:04 AM
Slowik is known for attack style defense, but he is also known for giving up huge plays and not being all that creative with his blitz packages. It is why he gets fired after one year as DC every time he gives it a try.

BOSSHOGG30
01-09-2008, 10:14 AM
Bob Slowik, who will now call defensive plays, is expected to play more to the strength of the current roster, which would be veteran corners that could allow him to be more aggressive up front in blitz packages.

He will use, or at least has previously in his career, a bigger variety of looks in certain down-and-distance situations

All in all, the Broncos need more pressure on opposing quarterbacks, whether that means upgrading who's playing in the line or adding more players to rush more often or both remains to be seen. But opposing quarterbacks were far too comfortable in the pocket.

Also Slowik is considered by many in the league outside of the Broncos, to be one of the best teachers on the team's coaching staff. At no other place on the roster, except for perhaps running back, have the Broncos seen more young players improve, develop and play more than at defensive back where Slowik has coached.

Many in the league believe the Broncos young defensive linemen, for example, hit a plateau during the season. So some outside the team believe young players on defense could make bigger jumps overall with Slowik overseeing the whole defense and with a little more emphasis on fundamentals day-to-day during the season.

topscribe
01-09-2008, 12:31 PM
I'm on board with it until it's a proven failure.

I don't know if I can stand any more failures. :tsk:

-----

omac
01-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Bob Slowik, who will now call defensive plays, is expected to play more to the strength of the current roster, which would be veteran corners that could allow him to be more aggressive up front in blitz packages.

He will use, or at least has previously in his career, a bigger variety of looks in certain down-and-distance situations

All in all, the Broncos need more pressure on opposing quarterbacks, whether that means upgrading who's playing in the line or adding more players to rush more often or both remains to be seen. But opposing quarterbacks were far too comfortable in the pocket.

Also Slowik is considered by many in the league outside of the Broncos, to be one of the best teachers on the team's coaching staff. At no other place on the roster, except for perhaps running back, have the Broncos seen more young players improve, develop and play more than at defensive back where Slowik has coached.

Many in the league believe the Broncos young defensive linemen, for example, hit a plateau during the season. So some outside the team believe young players on defense could make bigger jumps overall with Slowik overseeing the whole defense and with a little more emphasis on fundamentals day-to-day during the season.

Nice post! :salute:

Lots of young guys on the Broncos, so if Slowik is indeed a great teacher, then that could benefit them. Also, emphasis on fundamentals .... like tackling? That would be real good. :cheers:

mopatt24
01-09-2008, 01:12 PM
If Slowik can get pressure on the QB, which means more INT's for our DB's, which also means getting the ball back in Cutlers hands more, then I'm all for it.

Cant say Slowik doesn't deserve a shot at it. He knows our players best, and what their strengths are. He's proved he knows how to take the ball away, utilizing Champ. Now he has Dre Bly to work with also. You gotta imagine he's drooling over Kenny Phillips now too.

I'm on board, give him a shot

BOSSHOGG30
01-09-2008, 01:20 PM
I don't have anything against Slowik, He seems like a good guy, but why are we settling for someone average or maybe even below average? Shouldn't we be looking to get better not become average?

slim
01-09-2008, 01:23 PM
I don't have anything against Slowik, He seems like a good guy, but why are we settling for someone average or maybe even below average? Shouldn't we be looking to get better not become average?

There is a lot to be said for stability. If you bring in a new DC he will most likely want to bring in his own assistant coaches (that happened to some degree last year).

Besides, Slowik has been around awhile and knows the players strengths and weakness (maybe better than anyone).

BOSSHOGG30
01-09-2008, 01:28 PM
There is a lot to be said for stability. If you bring in a new DC he will most likely want to bring in his own assistant coaches (that happened to some degree last year).

Besides, Slowik has been around awhile and knows the players strengths and weakness (maybe better than anyone).

Well I'm not a big Slowik supporter because of his past history. He has pretty much failed with 3 other teams as a defensive coordinator. I don't see he can turn things around here, but I will tell you this... I hope they give him more than one year to prove what he can do. I'm tired of changing coaches every year.

mopatt24
01-09-2008, 01:46 PM
Well I'm not a big Slowik supporter because of his past history. He has pretty much failed with 3 other teams as a defensive coordinator. I don't see he can turn things around here, but I will tell you this... I hope they give him more than one year to prove what he can do. I'm tired of changing coaches every year.

I agree with that