View Full Version : Analysis: Denver's Dumervil versatile even as helping hand

TXBRONC
11-08-2009, 11:17 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13738166

Analysis: Denver's Dumervil versatile even as helping hand
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post

Posted: 11/08/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

In a world where most folks are right- or left-handed, Broncos outside linebacker Elvis Dumervil has made the most of both so far.

Dumervil ranks second in the NFL with 10 sacks going into Monday night's home game against the Steelers. Vikings star Jared Allen leads the league with 10 1/2 sacks. Five of Dumervil's sacks have come with him rushing from the defensive right to the offensive left and five have come from the defensive left.

While it may be a little thing, the fact that Dumervil can get down, comfortably, in a three-point stance, with the proper hand down on either side of the formation likely helps him work both sides.

"It kind of depends sometimes, but I can put both hands down," Dumervil said. "My high school coach forced it into me. That's been a good thing. It really helped me out, even now."

Which means when he's down in a three-point stance at the right defensive end, Dumervil can put his right, or outside, hand down. And when he's down in a three-point stance on the defensive left, he can put his left hand down.

It gives him the proper balance and the best chance to get off the ball quickly as well as getting his hands into the offensive lineman waiting for him.

Some defensive players have to put the same hand down, no matter which side of the formation they are on. And while it doesn't always impact the player's pass rush, sometimes even a blink-of-an-eye difference in quickness can be the difference in making a play or not.

Some players are dominant, no matter what. Titans coach Jeff Fisher said when he was the Eagles' defensive coordinator, Hall of Famer Reggie White had to put the same hand down no matter which side of the formation he was on.

Fisher said the Eagles tried to see if White could switch hands, depending on where he lined up, but quickly decided to leave him alone after he struggled with his stance.

Dumervil does the little things well, and it's likely one of the reasons he has been able to make a position switch and still flourish.

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com

SoCalImport
11-09-2009, 09:35 AM
Here's to Doom jumping well ahead of Allen tonight vs Pittsburgh.:beer:

The problem with Big Ben is that once flushed out of the pocket, he's even better.
Here's to the passrush getting there AND the secondary not letting anyone get open.
It's likely going to take BOTH.