PDA

View Full Version : Players In 2008 NFL Draft?

bmarsh15
01-08-2008, 07:08 PM
What do you guys think of all of the players that are going to be in this years draft?

BOSSHOGG30
01-08-2008, 07:09 PM
Is this a trick question?

bmarsh15
01-08-2008, 07:12 PM
We can get so many good players in later roundsI think this is going to be one of the best drafts ever and Boss who do you think we're going to draft since Bates left and who is going to be our new DC thanks?

UnderArmour
01-08-2008, 07:30 PM
This year appears to have a lot of great defensive talent. But we'll see. This draft is definitely deep in linebackers, but unless the top one in the draft falls to us I'd go with Philips. Lynch is getting on in the years and I thought we should have traded up for Michael Griffin or Reggie Nelson last year.

BOSSHOGG30
01-08-2008, 08:26 PM
I think the draft is loaded with linebackers, cornerbacks, runningbacks, and offensive tackle talent, but beyond that it is a little suspect. We have needs at offensive tackle, runningback if we don't keep Henry, and linebacker. Hopefully Denver realizes this and doesn't sign a free agent that we can better ourselves in the draft with. I also don't see anyone worth signing in free agency at defensive tackle, so maybe our first round selection should be defensive tackle. and then we can move on to RB, OT, or LB throughout the rest of the draft.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-08-2008, 09:29 PM
The popular OT and DT choices concern me. I see Long as a bust. baker appears soft to me. I do like Clady and Otah...otherwise...pass. Okam and Bryant are soft at DT. Balmer may be a player, but is also a project. Dorsey=badass.

I think we are lucky enough to have needs where the safest picks will be. Not many first round S talents are busts and there are PLENTY of LBs.

mclark
01-09-2008, 12:52 PM
Draft is not deep at safety, so Phillips is tempting in the first round.

A lot of good linebackers.

A couple VERY good defensive tackles and then some prospects.

A lot of good offensive linemen available early -- although Otah reminds me of George Foster - gulp. A lot of offensive line depth available late. (I hope we load up on offensive linemen in free agency.)

Really good running back depth.

Good receiver depth. We can probably find a prospect in round 5.

BOSSHOGG30
01-09-2008, 12:57 PM
OT and LB are deep deep in the draft.

S or DT has to be our 1st round pick.

CoachChaz
01-09-2008, 12:59 PM
OT and LB are deep deep in the draft.

S or DT has to be our 1st round pick.

I say go with the S. We can get better valeu at DT in the 2nd than we could with a S. Pick up Phillips and Balmer on day one and I'm happy.
________
Easy vape reviews (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/easy-vape)

mclark
01-09-2008, 01:52 PM
I say go with the S. We can get better valeu at DT in the 2nd than we could with a S. Pick up Phillips and Balmer on day one and I'm happy.

What do you think of Pat Sims, DT, Auburn in the second?

Also, what about Beau Bell in the second (since we don't have a third round pick), as a middle linebacker? He played outside at UNLV, but he's huge and fast and very aggressive. Sometimes his aggressiveness gets him out of position on the outside.

BOSSHOGG30
01-09-2008, 01:53 PM
If Ellis, Dorsey and Phillips are both gone when we pick, I think we need to trade back and take Balmer. No point in staying at 12 if they are all off the board.

shank
01-09-2008, 01:55 PM
What do you think of Pat Sims, DE, Auburn in the second?

i honestly don't know him and know you weren't asking me :D

but why get a DE when we have other big needs and are looking decent at minimum at the DE position? Doom is a pimp, Ekuban is probably returning, and we have 1st and 2nd round rookies waiting to contribute already who should be much better in their 2nd seasons...

edit: just looked him up and he's a DT! so... nevermind.

Also, what about Beau Bell in the second (since we don't have a third round pick), as a middle linebacker? He played outside at UNLV, but he's huge and fast and very aggressive. Sometimes his aggressiveness gets him out of position on the outside.

but i will ask, Why play him at MLB if he played outside in college and DJ finishing the season playing very well at MLB? I can kind of understand the argument to bring in a beast MLB from college and move DJ to the weakside again, but why put even more people out of position than necessary?

BOSSHOGG30
01-09-2008, 01:59 PM

but why get a DE when we have other big needs and are looking decent at minimum at the DE position? Doom is a pimp, Ekuban is probably returning, and we have 1st and 2nd round rookies waiting to contribute already who should be much better in their 2nd seasons...

Some believe that Crowder will be asked to gain weight and move to DT... maybe that is why? Plus, DE is still a need if you consider that Doom is a one demensional player as well as Moss who is also coming back from a very difficult injury to come back from. So outside of Crowder we don't really have an everydown DE.

CoachChaz
01-09-2008, 02:00 PM
What do you think of Pat Sims, DE, Auburn in the second?

I really hate to reach for a player in the 2nd based solely on the fact we don't have a 3rd. Sims and Bell are 3rd rounders at best (IMO) and if we want them bad enough there, we'll swing a deal to move into the 3rd some how.
________
Herbalaire (http://vaporizers.net/herbalaire-vaporizer)

mclark
01-09-2008, 02:00 PM

but i will ask, Why play him at MLB if he played outside in college and DJ finishing the season playing very well at MLB? I can kind of understand the argument to bring in a beast MLB from college and move DJ to the weakside again, but why put even more people out of position than necessary?

Actually my typing is worse than my thinking on this one. I agree, we don't need another DE. Pat Sims is a DT, not a DE.

shank
01-09-2008, 02:01 PM
If Ellis, Dorsey and Phillips are both gone when we pick, I think we need to trade back and take Balmer. No point in staying at 12 if they are all off the board.

i don't know what to think about DTs anymore with bates gone... do you think with slowik's attacking defense that we'll be able to get away with lighter DTs that get after the qb like balmer? i've been so used to discounting guys that aren't 315+ that i'm having trouble adapting back haha

HolyDiver
01-09-2008, 02:07 PM
i don't know what to think about DTs anymore with bates gone... do you think with slowik's attacking defense that we'll be able to get away with lighter DTs that get after the qb like balmer? i've been so used to discounting guys that aren't 315+ that i'm having trouble adapting back haha

Well, before Bates, we had guys like Veal..............287 ( or close) Myers 300 and Warren....325..................It was pretty obvious Myers and Veal were not big enough to handle the run.............They were in there more for their quickness..............So, we have to first decide what kind of team we are trying to build...............Small and quick..............or Big and slow. .............If we could only find guys that were 350 running a 4.8 fourty.

underrated29
01-09-2008, 02:09 PM
EXcuse me a bit here, but how inthe world is a broken fibula a very difficult injury to come back from?

TO played with a broken one in the superbowl not long after he broke it. Tons of hockey players play throughout the season with it. ANd jarvis has had the whole offseason and season to recover.

Why couldnt big slim do it??

Its a broken bone, and when it heals it si stronger. So i dont see any setbacks at all for him. (besides maybe just running to get conditioning).

I also do not see DE as a need. But in full agreement with DT.

mclark
01-09-2008, 02:10 PM
I really hate to reach for a player in the 2nd based solely on the fact we don't have a 3rd. Sims and Bell are 3rd rounders at best (IMO) and if we want them bad enough there, we'll swing a deal to move into the 3rd some how.

Of course, there's draft concensus and then there's that unknown...who is really the best.

Are Sims and Bell really 3rd rounders?

Most mocks I've seen have Sims in the second. How does Sims compare with Balmer or Red Bryant or Frank Okam?

I've seen Beau Bell ranked as a fourth rounder, right next to Jonathan Goff. I've also seen Goff in the second round.

In truth, it's a crapshoot.

It's not so bad to reach, if you get a guy who starts for you for 10 years. The real problem is reaching and getting a guy you keep on your roster for two years and then cut.

shank
01-09-2008, 02:11 PM
Well, before Bates, we had guys like Veal..............287 ( or close) Myers 300 and Warren....325..................It was pretty obvious Myers and Veal were not big enough to handle the run.............They were in there more for their quickness..............So, we have to first decide what kind of team we are trying to build...............Small and quick..............or Big and slow. .............If we could only find guys that were 350 running a 4.8 fourty.

lol, lets go find walter thomas! maybe he's been running laps since being cut from the saints 12 minutes into the first rookie camp lol...

he was what? 370 and ran a 4.9?

i really want to find DTs who can do both. I like the idea of having 300+ guys that can command double teams but are quick and strong enough to get buy guys and create penetration in the middle (ala marcus thomas in college) or a guy like dorsey! i know he's pretty much out of reach, but he's the ideal mix of everything DT, so i hope we can find guys in the mold of Dorsey (though obviously less talented)

HolyDiver
01-09-2008, 02:13 PM
lol, lets go find walter thomas! maybe he's been running laps since being cut from the saints 12 minutes into the first rookie camp lol...

he was what? 370 and ran a 4.9?

i really want to find DTs who can do both. I like the idea of having 300+ guys that can command double teams but are quick and strong enough to get buy guys and create penetration in the middle (ala marcus thomas in college) or a guy like dorsey! i know he's pretty much out of reach, but he's the ideal mix of everything DT, so i hope we can find guys in the mold of Dorsey (though obviously less talented)

What is harder to find................A Receiver that is 6'5''..............runs in the 4.3's and has over a 40" verticle? ................Or a 340 pound DT, that runs a 4.8 and benches over 550?

HolyDiver
01-09-2008, 02:13 PM
Exactly..............yeah, I know what most everyone will say.............The DT's like that almost do not exsist..............So, grab one when you can.

HolyDiver
01-09-2008, 02:15 PM
EXcuse me a bit here, but how inthe world is a broken fibula a very difficult injury to come back from?

TO played with a broken one in the superbowl not long after he broke it. Tons of hockey players play throughout the season with it. ANd jarvis has had the whole offseason and season to recover.

Why couldnt big slim do it??

Its a broken bone, and when it heals it si stronger. So i dont see any setbacks at all for him. (besides maybe just running to get conditioning).

I also do not see DE as a need. But in full agreement with DT.

I agree..............I think Moss will be fine..........Also, he was just getting to understand the game and finding his groove when he got injured.............i still expect big things from him.

CoachChaz
01-09-2008, 02:28 PM
Moss can be one of those guys that can finish with 7 sacks or 15 sacks depending on how things go when he's healty and figures things out. Crowder is the guy that I lean on though. He's an every down DE and someone I think can be a 12-15 sack guy perennially.
________
Easy vape reviews (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/easy-vape)

BOSSHOGG30
01-09-2008, 02:29 PM
Balmer might be the guy we are looking for. He plays with a mean streak and he hasn't even begun to fill out his frame. I think he will play at about 315 once he adds some more muscle.

HolyDiver
01-09-2008, 02:30 PM
Balmer might be the guy we are looking for. He plays with a mean streak and he hasn't even begun to fill out his frame. I think he will play at about 315 once he adds some more muscle.

Isn't he only 290 now?

HolyDiver
01-09-2008, 02:31 PM
4(72) Kentwan Balmer, DT, North Carolina Sr, 6-5, 295

Well, he's got the heigth to do that I guess.

CoachChaz
01-09-2008, 02:32 PM
Most recent weigh in has him at 6'5", 298
________
Suzuki Ts250 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Suzuki_TS250)

BOSSHOGG30
01-09-2008, 02:32 PM
Isn't he only 290 now?

Probably. But he has the frame to add plenty more. He should have no problem adding weight.

BOSSHOGG30
01-09-2008, 02:34 PM
Most recent weigh in has him at 6'5", 298

That's not bad... I'm starting to like this Balmer kid. If Ellis or Phillips aren't there I think I would trade back and take Balmer and add another draft pick. We need to safeties anyways, so it would allow us to take a true safety and experiment with one of the cornerbacks like Castille and see if he projects into a good safety like I think he can be.

BOSSHOGG30
01-09-2008, 02:36 PM
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o5/bosshogg30/balmer.jpg

CoachChaz
01-09-2008, 02:38 PM
Right now he's built like a DE and he played there in some formations. If he could get up to 320 and maintain his motor, I'd be happy...but I don't know that I'd use a first rounder on him.
________
2005 LEXUS CUP (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/2005_Lexus_Cup)

BOSSHOGG30
01-09-2008, 02:38 PM
balmer:
Gets good forward lean in stance and is quick enough to make plays in the backfield when lined up at tackle. Takes sound angles to the ball and makes plays in pursuit. Plays with a good motor and always seems to be around the ball at the end of the play. Generally wraps up upon contact and is an adequate open field tackler. Athletic, flashes the ability to redirect inside after setting blockers up to the outside and is a relentless pass rusher. Moves well laterally and runs line stunts well. Shows adequate awareness, times jumps well and he gets hands up when isn't going to get to the quarterback. Can line up at defensive end or tackle and is versatile. Blocked two kicks last year and can contribute on special teams.

BOSSHOGG30
01-09-2008, 02:39 PM
He does have a problem staying healthy as well, so that is a caution.

CoachChaz
01-09-2008, 02:43 PM
How about a guy like Kendall Langford. 6'6", 295, 4.97. Appears to be projected as a 3-4 DE, but could slide over to DT
________
Ford Fusion (Europe) Picture (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Fusion_(Europe))

BOSSHOGG30
01-09-2008, 02:52 PM
How about a guy like Kendall Langford. 6'6", 295, 4.97. Appears to be projected as a 3-4 DE, but could slide over to DT

I saw him play this year in one game and he was a beast. He is probably a project player, but he could be a sleeper.

Lonestar
01-09-2008, 02:56 PM
Moss can be one of those guys that can finish with 7 sacks or 15 sacks depending on how things go when he's healty and figures things out. Crowder is the guy that I lean on though. He's an every down DE and someone I think can be a 12-15 sack guy perennially.

I see him as a solid player a base guy that is there all the time but I do not see him as 12-15 sack a year that is almost unheard of.. Most non elite DE will get 7-8 per year...
14 is top 3
12 is top ten
10 is top 11
8 is top 20
7 is top 25

I just do not see him more than top 25, but he seems to be a solid every down guy.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats;jsessionid=F6C6F9E2DD8A39027AA6AD277 8CE07A4?archive=true&seasonType=REG&statisticPositionCategory=DEFENSIVE_LINEMAN&d-447263-o=2&conference=null&d-447263-s=DEFENSIVE_SACKS&experience=null&d-447263-n=1&season=2007&qualified=true&Submit=Find&tabSeq=1&d-447263-p=1

shank
01-09-2008, 03:03 PM
balmer:
Gets good forward lean in stance and is quick enough to make plays in the backfield when lined up at tackle. Takes sound angles to the ball and makes plays in pursuit. Plays with a good motor and always seems to be around the ball at the end of the play. Generally wraps up upon contact and is an adequate open field tackler. Athletic, flashes the ability to redirect inside after setting blockers up to the outside and is a relentless pass rusher. Moves well laterally and runs line stunts well. Shows adequate awareness, times jumps well and he gets hands up when isn't going to get to the quarterback. Can line up at defensive end or tackle and is versatile. Blocked two kicks last year and can contribute on special teams.

any player sounds like a 1st round sure thing if you only list the positive section of the scouting report! haha.

at this point i don't mind who we draft day one as long as they are DT, S, or OT and aren't busts. (crosses fingers)

CoachChaz
01-09-2008, 03:04 PM
I see him as a solid player a base guy that is there all the time but I do not see him as 12-15 sack a year that is almost unheard of.. Most non elite DE will get 7-8 per year...
14 is top 3
12 is top ten
10 is top 11
8 is top 20
7 is top 25

I just do not see him more than top 25, but he seems to be a solid every down guy.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats;jsessionid=F6C6F9E2DD8A39027AA6AD277 8CE07A4?archive=true&seasonType=REG&statisticPositionCategory=DEFENSIVE_LINEMAN&d-447263-o=2&conference=null&d-447263-s=DEFENSIVE_SACKS&experience=null&d-447263-n=1&season=2007&qualified=true&Submit=Find&tabSeq=1&d-447263-p=1

I don't know. If Elvis can get 12 playing in a situational role, I think Crowder can exceed that playing every down. Especially if the DL is improved in the middle and we play better against the run.
________
Mercedes-benz m115 engine specifications (http://www.mercedes-wiki.com/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_M115_engine)

BOSSHOGG30
01-09-2008, 03:05 PM
any player sounds like a 1st round sure thing if you only list the positive section of the scouting report! haha.

at this point i don't mind who we draft day one as long as they are DT, S, or OT and aren't busts. (crosses fingers)

Maybe you didn't read the second post I have under that... I also said he has problems staying healthy. That basically summarizes his negatives.

HolyDiver
01-09-2008, 03:08 PM

You don't care who we draft as long as they aren't busts? ..................Kind of like saying, I don't care what the weather is like tomorrow, as long as it's not raining, snowing and under 75. .................. Even great picks, at the time, can turn out to be busts...............Vernon Davis and "the Freak" from Jacksonville are not exactly setting the world on fire...............Davis was all the rage, remember? So was the little back from Carolina, can't remember his name, I'll go check.................DeAngelo Williams. Some fans wanted us to draft him #1.

BOSSHOGG30
01-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Crowder looks like an 8+ sack guy
Moss scares me.. I'm seeing a bust (JMO)
Doom is a 15+ sack guy if the refs actually call holding, but even without the refs calling what is actually happening on just about every play he is still a 13+ sack guy and a liability versus the run.

I wonder if we keep Ekuban around because he can still be very helpful. He is a 8+ sack guy when healthy.

BOSSHOGG30
01-09-2008, 03:10 PM
The last hyped up DT from UNC didn't live up to expectations... so that has me a little scared as well. What was his name? Sims?

shank
01-09-2008, 03:14 PM
Maybe you didn't read the second post I have under that... I also said he has problems staying healthy. That basically summarizes his negatives.
i saw that, i just assumed there had to be more. there are lots of guaranteed top 5 picks who have more downside than 'injury prone'

You don't care who we draft as long as they aren't busts? ..................Kind of like saying, I don't care what the weather is like tomorrow, as long as it's not raining, snowing and under 75. .................. Even great picks, at the time, can turn out to be busts...............Vernon Davis and "the Freak" from Jacksonville are not exactly setting the world on fire...............Davis was all the rage, remember? So was the little back from Carolina, can't remember his name, I'll go check.................DeAngelo Williams. Some fans wanted us to draft him #1.

not at all. what i'm saying equilibrates to, "i don't care what the weather is tomorrow, as long as it's not a hurricane."

others have said that with the 12 overall pick and this talent pool, paired with our needs, it will be pretty damned hard to screw the pooch in this years draft, and that's what i'm hoping for. that we get solid players at reasonable picks and that they all work out and remain broncos. (i.e. the last few drafts)

i know DT is a pretty 'busty' position and i guess i'm saying that i hope whoever we get there works out because we are in depserate need of talent at DT. our other needs at S, LB, and OT are usually pretty safe bets and you know what you are getting when you draft them. S and LB are probably the safest picks you can make in the 1st round of a draft.

HolyDiver
01-09-2008, 03:14 PM
The last hyped up DT from UNC didn't live up to expectations... so that has me a little scared as well. What was his name? Sims?

I like both Auburn DT's................Thompson could be had with a 6th or 7th round pick............Not starter material, but a solidly built.....well..........his nickname is stump.....I'll leave it at that. The guy hustles...........might be worth a 7th rounder.................How about Favorite from LSU?

HolyDiver
01-09-2008, 03:15 PM
i saw that, i just assumed there had to be more. there are lots of guaranteed top 5 picks who have more downside than 'injury prone'

not at all. what i'm saying equilibrates to, "i don't care what the weather is tomorrow, as long as it's not a hurricane."

others have said that with the 12 overall pick and this talent pool, paired with our needs, it will be pretty damned hard to screw the pooch in this years draft, and that's what i'm hoping for. that we get solid players at reasonable picks and that they all work out and remain broncos. (i.e. the last few drafts)

i know DT is a pretty 'busty' position and i guess i'm saying that i hope whoever we get there works out because we are in depserate need of talent at DT. our other needs at S, LB, and OT are usually pretty safe bets and you know what you are getting when you draft them. S and LB are probably the safest picks you can make in the 1st round of a draft.

Well, I pretty much agree with that..............I think..............If you are saying trade our pick if who we wanted is not there, like Ellis, Laurinitis, Dorsey or Phillips, I agree................After the first 10-12 picks, this draft is horrible.

shank
01-09-2008, 03:16 PM
Crowder looks like an 8+ sack guy
Moss scares me.. I'm seeing a bust (JMO)
Doom is a 15+ sack guy if the refs actually call holding, but even without the refs calling what is actually happening on just about every play he is still a 13+ sack guy and a liability versus the run.

I wonder if we keep Ekuban around because he can still be very helpful. He is a 8+ sack guy when healthy.

i pretty much agree, though i pray that moss plays up to his 1st round status...

i really hope we keep ekuban around. i think he's a good player, good influence on the younger guys, and does everything well. hopefully crowder (and maybe moss?) can learn from him and become even better DEs that him.

BOSSHOGG30
01-09-2008, 03:17 PM
For the O-line guys: Something to think about

Clady...etc...etc..

1) One of those OTs is of that ilk - which I am dubious most are - more Marc Colombo's, Todd Steussies, John Tait, John Shelton's imo you aren't looking at drafting Ogden, Zimmerman, Boselli, Pace or Jones at #12.

2) That even if you did land one of the above... that Cutler could stand back there... Lepsis didn't have a particularly good year but he wasn't the most egregious in giving up sacks and hits on Cutler, because we were able to provide help to him with our TEs. Alot came on blitzes and stunts up the middle and Cutler could simply not step up to avoid outside pressure (which is a natural occurence during the game - LTs don't just stone guys they push them around just as often - but the pocket never really formed in front of Cutler.)

So.. say you land say a Steussie, Vernon Carey, Kenyatta Walker, Jeff Backus type (all mid-1st rd LT prospects)... Is that really an upgrade over Lepsis? Probably not much of one... and probably, in my mind at least, as that is the type of quality I am seeing at OT... yeah you'll get a starter.. but I wouldn't be booking their trip to the Pro Bowl anytime soon... and you may get just as good - maybe even a better player in RD 2 where the more polished OTs slip to.

So, while I think we would all like that for Cutler, I just don't see that happening... I mean for as often as people knock Jake Long as not an elite prospect he is so far and above the next level - what does that mean for them? You aren't getting world beaters slipping that far, you are getting in all likelihood nice solid starting LTs, but nothing too special. Which is why I hesitate to use our best 'natural' pick in about 8 years. I want the best player there regardless of position, sans QB.

BOSSHOGG30
01-09-2008, 03:19 PM
I like both Auburn DT's................Thompson could be had with a 6th or 7th round pick............Not starter material, but a solidly built.....well..........his nickname is stump.....I'll leave it at that. The guy hustles...........might be worth a 7th rounder.................How about Favorite from LSU?

Lorenzo Williams out of Missouri is another DT that is under-rated. He might be one of the best run stoppers in the draft.

underrated29
01-09-2008, 03:20 PM
matt jones is a bust. Give vernon davis a little lee way, he plays for the niners who blow, and when he has been healthy he hasnt been too bad. I think here he would domintate.

And as for deangelo williams. that kid is good. As soon as carolina gets their act together. and Realizes that foster is not the way to go. HE will Pimp them out. I think next year will be his comming out party.

shank
01-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Well, I pretty much agree with that..............I think..............If you are saying trade our pick if who we wanted is not there, like Ellis, Laurinitis, Dorsey or Phillips, I agree................After the first 10-12 picks, this draft is horrible.

i wouldn't say the draft if horrible after that, but it does seem to drop off some.

as much as i don't want a LB in the 1st round (because of the apperant depth of LBs in this years draft) i don't think i'd be upset if we got one because it's a pick that would be almost guaranteed to work out for us. DT, even if we get Ellis or Okam or even the almighty Dorsey is much more of a crapshoot and could land anywhere from great pick to monumental bust. Phillips to me seems like the safest pick, who fills a big need, and also has some 'sexy' factor.

if none of the top talents are available at 12 i would not be opposed to trading down and collecting some nice compensation. i'd really rather trade down and get more good players than trade up to get one of these guys... but that's just me.

i wouldn't call deangelo a bust either. he's good, but his style of play fits college much better than the pros (ala reggie bush). i'll admit that i had a man crush on deangelo after watching a couple of his games. he really was dominant in college, it just didn't translate so well to the pros, but you had to of seen that coming.

HolyDiver
01-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Lorenzo Williams out of Missouri is another DT that is under-rated. He might be one of the best run stoppers in the draft.

One guy I was very.............and I mean VERY.........disapointed in.............Frank Okam............I watched that entire damn game Texas played ( bowl game) He got pushed all over the field..............Very seldom, did he get a good push. ...................At 325, that is inexcuseable.

HolyDiver
01-09-2008, 03:23 PM
i wouldn't say the draft if horrible after that, but it does seem to drop off some.

as much as i don't want a LB in the 1st round (because of the apperant depth of LBs in this years draft) i don't think i'd be upset if we got one because it's a pick that would be almost guaranteed to work out for us. DT, even if we get Ellis or Okam or even the almighty Dorsey is much more of a crapshoot and could land anywhere from great pick to monumental bust. Phillips to me seems like the safest pick, who fills a big need, and also has some 'sexy' factor.

if none of the top talents are available at 12 i would not be opposed to trading down and collecting some nice compensation. i'd really rather trade down and get more good players than trade up to get one of these guys... but that's just me.

I would not be shocked, if we trade our #1 for a late #1 and a #2................Alot of solid players at #2, just not many great ones ( that we know of) since Marshall and Dumervil were 4th round picks..............I like the Linebacker out of South Florida too.

BOSSHOGG30
01-09-2008, 03:23 PM
One guy I was very.............and I mean VERY.........disapointed in.............Frank Okam............I watched that entire damn game Texas played ( bowl game) He got pushed all over the field..............Very seldom, did he get a good push. ...................At 325, that is inexcuseable.

Yeah it is sad too, because he has the skills, he just doesn't play with that attitude you need to succeed at the next level. He reminds me of Shaun Rogers and not just because they both played at Texas. They are both great player when they wants to be, but they have to be motivated and that is the trouble with both guys, especially Okam.

shank
01-09-2008, 03:25 PM
Yeah it is sad too, because he has the skills, he just doesn't play with that attitude you need to succeed at the next level. He reminds me of Shaun Rogers and not just because they both played at Texas. They are both great player when they wants to be, but they have to be motivated and that is the trouble with both guys, especially Okam.

cough gerrard warren cough cough?

BOSSHOGG30
01-09-2008, 03:26 PM
I would see what Dallas wants for their 2 first rounders and they can move up to the 12th over all pick.. that is if Ellis, Dorsey, or Phillips aren't there.

Dallas could get Jonathon Stewart or Ryan Clady at #12. Weren't they interested in Darren McFadden?

HolyDiver
01-09-2008, 03:28 PM
matt jones is a bust. Give vernon davis a little lee way, he plays for the niners who blow, and when he has been healthy he hasnt been too bad. I think here he would domintate.

And as for deangelo williams. that kid is good. As soon as carolina gets their act together. and Realizes that foster is not the way to go. HE will Pimp them out. I think next year will be his comming out party.

Could be right about that.........Next year will be his third year...........well, for all of them. Matt Jones was only drafted #1 because he ran a 4.4 fourty and was 6'6'' 240................Bad deccission on Del Rio's part. ............That's why I like guys like Jamie Silva and the Linebacker from S. Florida................They simply get the job done.

BOSSHOGG30
01-09-2008, 03:31 PM
Guys I like in the Hula Bowl coming up:

Akron WR Jabari Arthur
Minnesota WR Ernie Wheelwright
Arizona DE Louis Holmes

CoachChaz
01-09-2008, 03:54 PM
I would see what Dallas wants for their 2 first rounders and they can move up to the 12th over all pick.. that is if Ellis, Dorsey, or Phillips aren't there.

Dallas could get Jonathon Stewart or Ryan Clady at #12. Weren't they interested in Darren McFadden?

Dallas would have to see one of the top 2 CB's available at 12 if they were to be interested in moving up. 90% of their OL is in the Pro-Bowl and Barber isn't exactly on his last leg at the RB spot. They need a CB and WR to groom because TO and Glenn aren't getting younger.
________
Roll blunts (http://howtorollablunt.net/)

SmilinAssasSin27
01-09-2008, 05:36 PM
I like Louis Holmes...and he's likely a late rounder.

If Hamlin leaves, they'll have holes/concerns at S, CB and OT. They could want to move up for a stud and to avoid wasting picks when their roster is pretty full.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-09-2008, 07:36 PM
Why do you like Ernie Wheelright? Can't be his stone hands.

Simple Jaded
01-09-2008, 08:07 PM
I think you guys are on the right track, 290 to 300LB DT's that will get abused by San Diego's powerful offensive line.

I hate to say it, but that's exactly the type of player Shanahan is going to bring in on the d-line.

A leopard cannot change his spots, and Shanahan LOVES tiny/weak players......

BOSSHOGG30
01-09-2008, 08:22 PM

I like his size and speed. His size alone causes match up problems. I also like is awarness with the ball in his hands. He is a hard guy to bring down after the catch.

HolyDiver
01-10-2008, 09:05 AM
Don't know if everyone has this link..............It's a pretty good one showing all the players and several mock drafts.

http://www.fantasyfootballjungle.com/y/nfl-draft/mock-draft.php

SmilinAssasSin27
01-11-2008, 06:10 PM
Another with us getting Phillips. As much as I want him...a million people CAN be wrong.

Broncospsycho77
01-11-2008, 06:12 PM

Well, if we adopt the Slowik system, then it won't matter as much as we'll need the speedy linemen to be in zone blitzes. That is, unless we get a clogger type DT.

BOSSHOGG30
01-11-2008, 10:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNOviL90YYc

Michael Oher video... must watch... great stuff....great player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FhlbsJUJ9Q

2nd one, longer, but Oher speaks

Broncospsycho77
01-11-2008, 11:08 PM
This is NOT a joke.

I saw James Laurinaitis at Best Buy today. He was buying Rock Band. My friend was ringing him up right before closing time... he's shell shocked. JL is somewhat tall and had a shaved head, but his biceps are probably bigger than my head. Unbelievable. Absolutely ripped. He would be a monster in the orange and blue, if he declares.

Simple Jaded
01-12-2008, 01:24 AM
This is NOT a joke.

I saw James Laurinaitis at Best Buy today. He was buying Rock Band. My friend was ringing him up right before closing time... he's shell shocked. JL is somewhat tall and had a shaved head, but his biceps are probably bigger than my head. Unbelievable. Absolutely ripped. He would be a monster in the orange and blue, if he declares.

Did your buddy ask him what it's like to get his ass handed to 'im by Early Doucet?......Twice......

fcspikeit
01-12-2008, 05:55 AM

If Ellis, Dorsey and Phillips are all gone, there is a chance Laurinaitis will be there. , Unless we could get a great deal moving back from a team who really wanted Laurinaitis... I know LB is not our biggest need but it would be hard to pass him up.

I have heard good things about Philip Wheeler and Dan Connor,, Do you think we have a shot at Connor in the second round? And do you feel Wheeler would be a reach in the second?

BOSSHOGG30
01-12-2008, 10:45 AM
Conner is a 1st rounder.... Wheeler is a 2nd rounder.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-12-2008, 01:17 PM
Wheeler's an absolute beast. He's the perfect fit for a linebacker in Slowik's defense that places an emphasis on blitzing. The guy had what, 17.5 TFL and numerous sacks this season. What does that tell you about him? Wheeler's damn good.

fcspikeit
01-12-2008, 03:04 PM
Wheeler's an absolute beast. He's the perfect fit for a linebacker in Slowik's defense that places an emphasis on blitzing. The guy had what, 17.5 TFL and numerous sacks this season. What does that tell you about him? Wheeler's damn good.

So, in your opinion we should go after Wheeler in the second?

I seen a mock that had him going 93rd overall. Beings we don't have a 3rd, even if he fell that far we couldn't get him.

Also, is he strictly an inside guy or has he played outside?

BOSSHOGG30
01-12-2008, 03:56 PM
I like Wheeler a lot and he is pretty good in coverage as well. He would be the ideal SAM linebacker.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-12-2008, 08:28 PM
I like Wheeler a lot and he is pretty good in coverage as well. He would be the ideal SAM linebacker.

He's far too small to play SAM. He's a WILL or a MIKE. That's it.

BOSSHOGG30
01-12-2008, 10:03 PM
He's far too small to play SAM. He's a WILL or a MIKE. That's it.

Yeah ok... He is 235 pounds.. he is plenty big.

BOSSHOGG30
01-18-2008, 01:37 PM
Jerome Simpson, WR, Coastal Carolina

Another guy to keep an eye on for all you looking for prospects.

fcspikeit
01-18-2008, 03:10 PM
Why do they call them SAM, WILL and MIKE?

I know that SAM in the MLB but why is it called SAM? I have never heard this except for the last couple years, so where does it come from? There must be a better reason to say SAM, WILL and MIKE rather then, ILB, ROLB and LOLB. What is it?

G_Money
01-18-2008, 03:17 PM
Strong-side (ie, the side with the TE), first letter S = Sam
Weak-side (ie, the side w/o the TE) first letter W = Will
Middle (ie, the one between the two other guys) first letter M = Mike

~G

BOSSHOGG30
01-18-2008, 03:19 PM
Why do they call them SAM, WILL and MIKE?

I know that SAM in the MLB but why is it called SAM? I have never heard this except for the last couple years, so where does it come from? There must be a better reason to say SAM, WILL and MIKE rather then, ILB, ROLB and LOLB. What is it?

The linebacker names stem from simple military language: "mike" for middle, "will" for weak and "sam" for strong

fcspikeit
01-18-2008, 03:26 PM
The linebacker names stem from simple military language: "mike" for middle, "will" for weak and "sam" for strong

So in military lingo does MIKE always = middle, SAM = Strong and WILL = Weak?

Or could I just say, MARK, SETH and WILBER ? LOL

*Edit* Thanks for the explanation...

BOSSHOGG30
01-18-2008, 03:31 PM
So in military lingo does MIKE always = middle, SAM = Strong and WILL = Weak?

Or could I just say, MARK, SETH and WILBER ? LOL

*Edit* Thanks for the explanation...

they just get more complicated over the years....

Some coaches call their middle linebackers "Mike" or "Mac"
some call their strong side linebackers "Sam" or "Buck"

Then you have "Lurks", "Elephant ends", and "Power ends"

BOSSHOGG30
01-18-2008, 03:57 PM
Is Michael Oher going back to school now? I read he declared and now I read something that says he is staying.... which one is it? Does anyone know for sure?

G_Money
01-18-2008, 04:02 PM
He declared, and then he went back.

He's out of the draft.

Thursday, January 17, 2008

OXFORD, Miss. -- Michael Oher returned to Ole Miss on Wednesday, the start of the spring semester. Some of his fellow students must have been surprised to see him, considering Oher had declared his intention to enter the NFL draft earlier in the week.

And so his 6-5, 325-pound frame was even more conspicuous on campus than usual, though news quickly spread that he had changed his mind about the draft and his future.

A junior left tackle and former Briarcrest Christian standout, Oher announced Wednesday that he had decided to return to Ole Miss for his senior season. He cited "unfinished business" as his primary motivation.

"It's really about winning more games and going to a bowl game," said Oher, a first-team All-SEC selection last season. "I wanted to be a part of making that happen. Most of all, I want to finish my senior year with my teammates."

Oher announced Monday that he was entering the draft. Underclassmen have until Friday to withdraw their names, and Oher retained his eligibility by not signing with an agent. He had been projected as a mid-to-late first-round pick.

Ole Miss coach Houston Nutt, who was hired in November, had made Oher one of his primary recruiting targets this winter. He had been hoping he could persuade Oher to return to school and anchor his offensive line next season. With that in mind, Nutt said he was excited to hear from Oher on Wednesday.

"Michael told me he wanted to make a commitment to his academics and be the very best football player he can be," Nutt said.

~G

BOSSHOGG30
01-18-2008, 04:04 PM
He declared, and then he went back.

He's out of the draft.

~G

That stinks... That would of been a good addition... he might be the #1 offensive lineman in the 2009 draft now.. so smart move on his part.