PDA

View Full Version : Fire Slowik!!!

Pages : [1] 2

NightTrainLayne
01-08-2008, 05:44 PM
Might as well fire this thread up now. . .

Maybe we can identify some replacements for DC in 2009.

Bronco9798
01-08-2008, 05:44 PM
LMAO,,, this is a worthless thread, but funny at the moment.

Stargazer
01-08-2008, 05:45 PM

But, he's going to bring sexy back!

Lonestar
01-08-2008, 06:06 PM
Time to sicky this one because is gonna get a lot of work..

frauschieze
01-08-2008, 06:27 PM
Time to sicky this one because is gonna get a lot of work..

LMAO! You learn quickly, young padawan.

silkamilkamonico
01-08-2008, 09:34 PM
Bob Slowik coached the Packers into one of the NFL's worst defenses, until Jim Bates took over the same group and made them top 10.....

Could we possibly see the NFL's all time worst defense next year?

SmilinAssasSin27
01-08-2008, 09:37 PM
fingers crossed...

Lonestar
01-08-2008, 11:43 PM
fingers crossed...

he is next years scape goat..

Mikey will have to have someone to blame..

Looking foward to a new VP and HC in 2009..

Pat will finally get his ass in gear..

MOtorboat
01-08-2008, 11:45 PM
But, he's going to bring sexy back!

I don't know who she is, but your avy is bringing sexy back.

Bronco9798
01-09-2008, 12:15 AM
Need to throw this thread in the archives and save it for next year.

NightTrainLayne
01-09-2008, 12:18 AM
Need to throw this thread in the archives and save it for next year.

Well, just remember you heard it here first. . . :cool:

Lonestar
07-21-2008, 06:54 PM

there maybe more to this than you thought when you started this..

WARHORSE
07-21-2008, 07:10 PM
geez............

Nature Boy
07-21-2008, 09:11 PM
Wow, training camp haven't even started and the pessimism has already started... Even if in sarcasm.

claymore
07-21-2008, 09:15 PM

If he does a kickass job Im removing the salute and editing my post. :D

PatricktheDookie
07-21-2008, 09:16 PM
Lighten up, people...

Ziggy
07-21-2008, 10:00 PM
Broncos to rely on coordinated effort
Slowik hopes not to fumble his shot in a position that is rife with turnovers
By Lee Rasizer, Rocky Mountain News (Contact)
Monday, July 21, 2008

Photo by Eric Lars Bakke/Denver Broncos

Bob Slowik inherits a defense that allowed 25.6 points a game last season.

Slowik, left, is the Broncos' third defensive chief in three years and isn't lacking in confidence. "I've been in enough places and coordinated enough, for almost half my career."
Denver downturnThe Broncos' defensive rankings in several key categories during the past five years:

Year Rush Pass Total
2007 30th 7th 19th
2006 12th 21st 14th
2005 2nd 29th 15th
2004 4th 6th 4th
2003 7th 6th 4th
New beginningWith the Broncos, Bob Slowik will head his fourth NFL defense. How his units have ranked in total defense and scoring, and the teams' records at his three previous stops:

Year, Team Yards Points W-L
2004, Packers* 25th 23rd 10-6
1999, Browns 31st 29th 2-14
1998, Bears 14th 23rd 4-12
1997, Bears 12th 29th 4-12
1996, Bears 12th 12th 7-9
1995, Bears 19th 22nd 9-7
1994, Bears* 13th 10th 9-7
1993, Bears 4th 3rd 7-9

The third time's supposed to be the charm.

But here's Bob Slowik, on chance No. 4 as a defensive coordinator with the Broncos, via Chicago, Cleveland and Green Bay.

What the heck do you call that?

Good fortune, for starters.

Perseverance. Hard work.

"It just points out to me that you know he's good," said Dave McGinnis, now the Tennessee Titans assistant head coach and a member of the Bears' coaching staff with Slowik in the mid-1990s. "A lot of times you have to see through things that happen, such as, 'What were the injuries?' and get the overall picture."

When the Broncos report to training camp Thursday, Slowik will face the challenge of strengthening a defense that allowed 25.6 points a game last season, 28th in the NFL.

"I certainly don't lack confidence in what I do," said Slowik, the Broncos' third defensive chief in three years. "I've been in enough places and coordinated enough, for almost half my career."

Slowik, 54, was named the Broncos defensive coordinator in January 2007 after Larry Coyer's exit, but the top responsibilities fell to Jim Bates, with Slowik concentrating on the defensive backfield, much to the chagrin of many players who felt he deserved the promotion.

It wasn't until Bates left seven months ago that Slowik got another opportunity for the role he has longed for since heading the Packers defense for one maddening season in 2004.

Before that, Slowik's Bears teams (1993-98) finished fourth, 13th, 19th, 12th, 12th and 14th in total defense. But the group also finished in the top five in rush defense three times in his final five seasons before he followed head coach Dave Wann- stedt out the door in 1998.

"Given where we were and the talent we had, I thought he did a very good job," said Rod Graves, vice president of football operations for the Arizona Cardinals and formerly a member of the Bears' front office during Slowik's six years in Chicago. "He utilized people very well and got the most out of them. . . . I think Bobby is recognized by most people in the league as being an outstanding defensive coach."

A mishmash of talent greeted Slowik during his one year heading the defense for the expansion Browns in 1999. The results were predictable: last-place league rankings in total yards, rushing yards and interceptions.

He spent several years working with defensive backs in Green Bay before becoming the coordinator. But playing three rookies at cornerback in '04, the Packers yielded a stunning 33 touchdown passes and forced a franchise-low 15 takeaways.

But more than time has passed since then.

"There's a lot to learn, and you keep learning and try to get better at what you do," Slowik said. "And I think I've grown since those jobs."

Computer whiz

That growth isn't limited to football concepts. Slowik also has tweaked his methodology.

He began to implement computer technology into his teaching during his brief stay in Cleveland. Mainly self-taught, he refined his skills with the Packers.

The past several years with the Broncos, Slowik has wowed his defensive backs with computer animation to add life to X's and O's.

"He believes if you see it, it registers a lot more with people," Broncos safety John Lynch said. "So he creates motions of the teams we play. It's like you're watching Madden football. It really helps. He goes to all lengths to be extremely detailed."

The thought behind the technology is that game tape, text and PowerPoint presentations don't have the same impact as making characters move, through computer modeling, like they would in a normal play.

"Right when he puts it up there, he knows exactly what he wants to do. And he never gets flustered about it," Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey said. "It's kind of weird, because none of the coaches do it. And other guys in the room will be like, 'Hey, why don't we have that?' It's just funny to see the guys' reaction when coach 'Slo' puts stuff up there."

Slowik's technological malleability is an offshoot of his overall personality. He's detail-oriented, but things aren't always black and white.

"He's got a brilliant mind. He really does," said Coyer, who worked alongside Slowik in Denver for two years. "He's got great ideas. He's inventive."

Slowik appears to have forged tight bonds with Broncos defensive backs, the position he coached in 2005-06, his first two seasons in Denver. Still, he has been known to be tough with players when needed while patting them on the back when warranted.

"The one thing I like about 'Slo' is that he takes input from his players, his veteran guys," cornerback Dre Bly said.

And when things don't work out, "He sticks behind his players," Bailey said.

Challenges await

The rebuilding job Slowik faces with the Broncos defense doesn't compare with the task he once had as a coordinator for an expansion franchise, but it will present its own challenges.

The Broncos finished 19th in yards allowed last season, 30th vs. the run. They also were in the bottom half in yards allowed per play (22nd), net passing yards per play (29th), interceptions per pass attempt (18th), first downs (22nd) and third-down efficiency (27th).

In the midst of compiling those numbers, Bates' seven- man front was scrapped after five games. Slowik took on more responsibility, implementing an eight-man alignment designed to shore up the run defense.

"Contrary to what was said, my role was virtually the same role throughout the season," Slowik insisted. "Did I know maybe the scheme we evolved to a little bit more so than Jim did? Yeah, because I've been around it. That didn't change my role in any way, shape or form other than having a greater familiarity with what we're doing. There was no play-calling, no installing, no anything of that nature."

That all changed in January with the announcement Bates had declined a demotion to linebackers coach and Slowik would be given full oversight.

"We've got a philosophy on defense that I'd like to get back to a little bit," coach Mike Shanahan said in announcing Slowik's promotion. "Bob knows that philosophy and we've had some success with it. That's why I think he'll do a great job."

Slowik's top task is keeping the eight-man front to stop the run and pare points off the 409 allowed last season, a total that was fourth worst in team history.

" 'Slo' knows how important it is to get the run stopped and get it stopped in a way that you can still protect yourself versus the pass," McGinnis said. "I was really impressed with how bright he was with how everything tied together between the front and back end during our time together."

The Broncos relied heavily on the blitz under Coyer but dialed it back under Bates.

"Bobby will be aggressive," Graves predicted. "He's about attacking and trying to make things happen."

Slowik promises only a "good mix," while adding, "I don't think you can have blitzmania."

Implementing his vision

Some of the free-agent pickups the Broncos added this offseason, including linebackers Niko Koutouvides and Boss Bailey, safety Marlon McCree and defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson, should provide options.

"One of Bob's great talents is, he believes in certain principles of football but also believes in and utilizes his players well," Lynch said. "So it's not a set scheme. It's, 'Here's my collection of players and what they do best. Let's create a scheme.' I think that's what you'll see with Bob."

It's a delicate balance, though, in implementing that vision.

Some Broncos admitted to being confused about their roles last season. But in the offseason, Slowik got rave reviews from several veterans regarding the implementation of his vision.

"I know we'll be prepared and do what we're supposed to, because he's not only an X's and O's guy but a great teacher," Bly said. "And he's a guy the players want to perform for. We want people to talk about what 'Slo' has been able to come in and do this year."

Tned
07-21-2008, 10:40 PM
LMAO,,, this is a worthless thread, but funny at the moment.

Might as well get a jump on the threads. We could start the "fire Shanny", "Fire Slowick" and "bench Cutler" threads now and just bump them each week...

Sassy
07-21-2008, 10:41 PM
Tned...thought you went to bed! LOL!

Lonestar
07-21-2008, 10:43 PM
Might as well get a jump on the threads. We could start the "fire Shanny", "Fire Slowick" and "bench Cutler" threads now and just bump them each week...

Great idea after each pick some moron will indeed start a get rid of Jay thread.. and if the team does not show up either mentally or physically sure someone will get after mikey..

Tned
07-21-2008, 10:48 PM
Tned...thought you went to bed! LOL!

I did, but the wife is watching old episodes of My Boys, which I have already watched, so I cracked open my baby linux laptop to check in. Can't stay away... :D

Sassy
07-21-2008, 10:50 PM
Hmmm...does that addiction suck or not suck :D

Tned
07-21-2008, 11:01 PM
Hmmm...does that addiction suck or not suck :D

As I am laying in bed, I had a 'nice' answer, but then realized this thread wasn't in the lounge. ;)

Sassy
07-21-2008, 11:05 PM
As I am laying in bed, I had a 'nice' answer, but then realized this thread wasn't in the lounge. ;)

:laugh:

Tned
07-21-2008, 11:25 PM
:laugh:

:laugh: It doesn't go over very well when admin is reported for lewd and unbecoming behavior!!!

Lonestar
07-22-2008, 03:25 AM
:laugh: It doesn't go over very well when admin is reported for lewd and unbecoming behavior!!!

could get someone a vacation in Europe...

Den21vsBal19
07-22-2008, 07:15 AM
Bob Slowik coached the Packers into one of the NFL's worst defenses, until Jim Bates took over the same group and made them top 10.....

Could we possibly see the NFL's all time worst defense next year?
And we're going to do it the other way round :shake: :eek:

CrazyHorse
07-22-2008, 05:13 PM
Sure! Bring back Coyer. Look what he did in Tampa. It wasn't our defense that was the problem in 2006. The Browncos were a decent group guys. It was our inept offense with the loss of Kubiak that left our defense to breakdown after carrying us the first half of the season. Hymendinger forced Jake to be a pocket passer which he is incapable of, even though he's Jesus in the bootleg.

Lonestar
07-22-2008, 05:49 PM
Sure! Bring back Coyer. Look what he did in Tampa. It wasn't our defense that was the problem in 2006. The Browncos were a decent group guys. It was our inept offense with the loss of Kubiak that left our defense to breakdown after carrying us the first half of the season. Hymendinger forced Jake to be a pocket passer which he is incapable of, even though he's Jesus in the bootleg.

coyer is a brilliant tactician and a superb mind in planning but making adjustments to their adjustment to his game plan at half time NOT GONNA HAPPEN..

I agree with the rest of the Post..

Simple Jaded
07-22-2008, 06:53 PM
Until the GM gets some DLmen worth a shit you can start a new one of these threads every year.

You should call this one "Mike Shanahan's Third Annual Toilet Paper" thread cause there is a good chance of Shanahan wiping his ass with another DC in January 09......

G_Money
09-21-2008, 05:26 PM
Now seems about the right time to recall this from the archives.

~G

weazel
09-21-2008, 05:32 PM
dammm, I was going to start this thread!

LRtagger
09-21-2008, 05:58 PM
http://dack.com/archive/bob-slowik-must-be-fired.html

Northman
09-21-2008, 06:00 PM
Word on the street is The Punter also passes time as a Defensive Cordinator

Tned
09-21-2008, 06:24 PM
Now seems about the right time to recall this from the archives.

~G

lol, let's get the mob riled up!

DenBronx
09-21-2008, 06:40 PM
my name is ryan and i approve this message.

jrelway
09-21-2008, 06:45 PM
might as well fire his ass. cant get any worse than this.

Northman
09-21-2008, 06:46 PM
I would just hate to go the entire season like this. At least with Greg Robinson he had decent blitz packages that we could use to get some pressure. Slowik is terrible.

Lonestar
09-21-2008, 06:47 PM
might as well fire his ass. cant get any worse than this.

oh yes it can.. watch and see how bad KC lites it up next week ;);)

Northman
09-21-2008, 06:48 PM

I hope not, i need some redemption with this defense. :lol:

jrelway
09-21-2008, 06:50 PM

maybe the chefs will squeeze a couple of touchdowns on us but i dont see anymore than that. Not with a 3rd string qb.

Bronco9798
09-21-2008, 06:51 PM
We keep firing DC's. How about putting the blame on the players this time and take a look at reality. That front four is horrendous and the safetys suck. It's not the coaching anymore, probably never was. It's the talent........

Timmy!
09-21-2008, 06:53 PM

If that happens, I will personally spearhead this campaign. The D has sucked, but made some (some, mind you) key plays....just enough to win the game. The next 4 opponents don't have near the offense of the Saints or Chargers. One would THINK the D would get better. If not, let's find a good hitman.

Watchthemiddle
09-21-2008, 06:54 PM
We keep firing DC's. How about putting the blame on the players this time and take a look at reality. That front four is horrendous and the safetys suck. It's not the coaching anymore, probably never was. It's the talent........

I think you have a point, but even if it is the talent a GOOD coach can get GOOD work out of what he has to work with. From the looks of it, we are lacking on talent but also in coaching. As a coach you have to do your best with what you have to work with and we aren't

jrelway
09-21-2008, 06:56 PM
i barely saw any blitzing from our LB'ers...and why not a couple of CB blitzes from champ? throw the offense off a little.

WTE
09-21-2008, 06:58 PM
Hi Guys.

~sigh~

Looks like my Patriots defense sucks too.

At least you won today.

My Patriots didn't.

http://www.animationusa.com/picts/wdpict/eeyore.jpg

Lonestar
09-21-2008, 06:59 PM

finally someone gets it we have sucked on D since the first loss to INDY in the playoffs in 2003 IIRC.. Since then we have spent a ton of money on Champ, Bly and the Browncos.. we are still sucking..

It has been DT's forever and DE's since price move on..

We have NEVER been able to bring heat on the QB with the DL only..

Look at what THE NYG do each week and they are not blessed with talent behind the LOS.. Not like we are..

YOU WIN and LOSE at the LOS.. except when you have refs and the other kicker on your payroll.. :laugh:

BANJOPICKER1
09-21-2008, 07:00 PM
If he does a kickass job Im removing the salute and editing my post. :D

Seems like we kept LT to under 100 and the whole NOS to under 100 rushing today..I am happy with just that.:D

Lonestar
09-21-2008, 07:02 PM
Hi Guys.

~sigh~

At least you won today.

My Patriots didn't.

Good of you to man up..

remember it was trap game with the TUNA pulling the strings..

And Y'all have to admit he has belicheats number..

Watchthemiddle
09-21-2008, 07:04 PM
In all fairness though......looking through a half full glass......the D did come up with a pretty good goal line stand and did put up 6 points on D. Those plays alone kept us in the game and in position to win.

Traveler
09-21-2008, 07:04 PM
Bet you some defensive coaches get fired this offeseason!

While we have improved against the run, if teams can pass on us all day, what good does it do to keep focusing on the run? Alost 800 yards given up the last two weeks!

Pathetic!

Lonestar
09-21-2008, 07:07 PM
I remember a bunch of fans on here telling everyone how our "new" coordinators are great about designing schemes around our existing players..

think the Offense has hit the mark..

Hey Slowik time to go back to the drawing board..

Lonestar
09-21-2008, 07:09 PM
Bet you some defensive coaches get fired this offeseason!

While we have improved against the run, if teams can pass on us all day, what good does it do to keep focusing on the run? Alost 800 yards given up the last two weeks!

Pathetic!

they could have pass all year last year on us TOO but they did not have to try.. they could run all the time..

Which they could probably do this year IF they were not down almost 20 points before getting the ball..

The smart ones just run all day to take time off the clock..

jrelway
09-21-2008, 07:11 PM
Hi Guys.

~sigh~

At least you won today.

My Patriots didn't.

http://www.animationusa.com/picts/wdpict/eeyore.jpg

i have the patsies DST for my fantasy team..looks to me like ill be dropping them real soon.

dogfish
09-21-2008, 07:13 PM
seriously, how long before it's acceptable to can him?

jrelway
09-21-2008, 07:15 PM

i say give him a pass. see how he does against a poor chiefs offense. If they put up more than 21 on us, its time for him to hit the road..

Lonestar
09-21-2008, 07:18 PM

tonight? :salute:

I think he will get till the second game after the bye much like Bates got last year..

After the BYE week this defense will be totally different, unless someone becomes super DT between now and then..

honz
09-21-2008, 07:40 PM
We need to get pressure on the QB somehow, someway...rush 11 guys for all I care, just don't let good QB's pick our secondary apart.

gobroncsnv
09-21-2008, 08:18 PM
Here we go again, putting the blame on the coaches instead of having a bad dline. We have ignored our biggest problem on D for about 9 or more years running. If we got some decent dlinemen, I'd keep Slowik, I'd have kept Coyer, even Robinson's crew looked good when he had some talent to work with.

Broncolingus
09-21-2008, 08:18 PM
We need to get pressure on the QB somehow, someway...rush 11 guys for all I care, just don't let good QB's pick our secondary apart.

You are right...

Slowik, Coyer, Bates, Rhodes, etc., etc., etc...

Same result...I'm not saying today's gameplan was the best ever created, but we've changed schemes and DC several times over the past few years folks and the problems seem to remain the same.

Okay against the run, can't stop the pass (with the exception of last year when Denver couldn't stop either).

Manning lost today because the defense - and esp. defensive line - of the Jags, knocked him on his ass.

If Denver went to Indy next week, he'd light our asses up for 500 yards and 50 points like always...

Get a good, not necessarily the greatest ever, but just a good, decent front-four and the Bronc's keep the Bolts down, the keep the Saints down, and they at least even thing up against good and physical teams liken Indy, Pitts, Dallas, etc.

DenverBronkHoes
09-21-2008, 08:22 PM
this thread is a joke.......

firing Slowik wont improve our D.....

are u serious?

Well SLowik isnt getting fired and he doesnt deserve to be.....

So blame somebody else for your troubles....

DenverBronkHoes
09-21-2008, 08:25 PM
Where art thou?

bert
reggie
gerald

Broncolingus
09-21-2008, 08:27 PM
this thread is a joke.......

firing Slowik wont improve our D.....

are u serious?

Well SLowik isnt getting fired and he doesnt deserve to be.....

So blame somebody else for your troubles....

You are correct, sir!

http://www.banks.com/blogs/realestate/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/mcmahon.jpg

Benetto
09-21-2008, 08:28 PM
WHERE is Craig Willams!?!!?!?

Broncolingus
09-21-2008, 08:30 PM
Where art thou?

bert
reggie
gerald

Reggie (and his three pals) were kicking Peyton Mannings butt all over the place today in the Crude-Oil dome or whatever the hell there new stadium is...

...oh, and Indy lost that game.

Amazing concept, eh?

Kaylore
09-21-2008, 08:35 PM
I know people want to fire him, and that might be a good idea. The defense doesn't hustle to the ball and some of the play calling is stupid. That said, he doesn't have much to work with. I just know that Slowik has sucked everywhere he's coached and this defense looks like pretty much what Green Bay fans said we could expect. He should stay the rest of the year and then bring in a real defensive coordinator. Ultimately, until we get some good talent on that side of the ball there is only so much that good playcaliing and coaching can get you.

Simple Jaded
09-21-2008, 08:37 PM
Personally, I think the only reason Shanahan hired Bob Slowik was because he's the only man in coaching that is shorter than he is, it's the only logical theory, but the only evidence that Slowik is any worse than Bates/Coyer/Rhodes/Robinson were is his pathetic record elsewhere......

DenverBronkHoes
09-21-2008, 08:42 PM
Can it really be all these DC's fault tho?

there comes a time when people need to look into the mirror.... im not going to be fooled into blaming every years worth of shit defense on the DC

Broncolingus
09-21-2008, 08:45 PM
Personally, I think the only reason Shanahan hired Bob Slowik was because he's the only man in coaching that is shorter than he is, it's the only logical theory,

...now THAT was funny.

Magnificent Seven
09-21-2008, 09:03 PM
Bring Greg Robinson back. Awesome Defense Coordinator in old days.

lex
09-21-2008, 09:53 PM
Slowik has got to go. We may not have top 5 talent on defense but we dont have bottom 5 talent either. As bad as last year was, we're actually worse this year when you consider that last years team didnt have the benefit of having an offense that scored almost 40 points a game. Our offense scores enough that there is absolutely no reason not to blitz more and there no reason to give them these 8 yard cushions. Its a really pitiful way to force the offense to make a mistake. If youre scoring almost 40 points a game, it doesnt really matter if we give up a couple of big plays as long as we give ourselves a chance at a pass rush and forcing a mistake. Slowik is making the CBs irrelevant with these ridiculous cushions. Slowik is making Larry Coyer look like an elite defensive coordinator.

Slowik is going to cost us games.

gobroncsnv
09-21-2008, 09:54 PM
Bring Greg Robinson back. Awesome Defense Coordinator in old days.

At least he was smart enough to have players up front. He also knew how to design a blitz... just ask Atlanta after the second SB win...

lex
09-21-2008, 09:55 PM
Personally, I think the only reason Shanahan hired Bob Slowik was because he's the only man in coaching that is shorter than he is, it's the only logical theory, but the only evidence that Slowik is any worse than Bates/Coyer/Rhodes/Robinson were is his pathetic record elsewhere......

I have to wonder if the decision was made based on Slowik winning favor with Champ who was his position coach.

lex
09-21-2008, 09:56 PM
At least he was smart enough to have players up front. He also knew how to design a blitz... just ask Atlanta after the second SB win...

Or ask Green Bay after the first one. Robinson had his flaws...but at least he also had strengths, which is more than you can say for the current clown.

BTW,

Slowik is SOOOO bad as a defensive coordinator that he makes it hard to tell what we need to draft. He needs to go, like right now.

56crash
09-21-2008, 10:14 PM
i say give him a pass. see how he does against a poor chiefs offense. If they put up more than 21 on us, its time for him to hit the road..

why the Road he is a great CB coach . I would not mind a hire from with in like we did with coyer ... and move slowik back to were he is kick ass

56crash
09-21-2008, 10:17 PM
We did not fire bates . I say find someone that can call some blitzs that will work or have some change up .

Bronco4ever
09-21-2008, 10:17 PM
Nobody said it so it must be my obligation to do so.... the D just needs to gel guys!

lex
09-21-2008, 10:25 PM
We did not fire bates . I say find someone that can call some blitzs that will work or have some change up .

Exactly. They have a back 7 that is athletic by most standards yet they refuse to blitz and give them a chance to use that strength and cover some ground. Slowik, is rendering every strength on the defense irrelevant. Bring the heat and give the back 7 an opportunity to make some plays.

lex
09-21-2008, 10:27 PM
Nobody said it so it must be my obligation to do so.... the D just needs to gel guys!

"I will not let my ship be shot out from under my ass".

--Cpt. Ernst Lindemann

dogfish
09-21-2008, 10:41 PM
why the Road he is a great CB coach . I would not mind a hire from with in like we did with coyer ... and move slowik back to were he is kick ass

enh. . . is he? champ and bly were pro bowlers before they ever worked with slowik, and he sure as hell hasn't developed foxworth or paymah into anything. . . i know that champ likes the guy, but beyond that i just don't see much that he has working in his favor. . .

*shrugs*

omac
09-21-2008, 11:15 PM
he is next years scape goat..

Mikey will have to have someone to blame..

Looking foward to a new VP and HC in 2009..

Pat will finally get his ass in gear..

You mean for going undefeated? :D

Sorry, still elated after that win. Lots of holes, but I'll take the win anytime. :cheers:

(added) Didn't see that new hc comment, but I'm not surprised. You've wanted that for a while, even with the young talent on offense clicking. :coffee:

Lonestar
09-21-2008, 11:46 PM
On January 16, 2004 Green Bay Packers coach Mike Sherman fired defensive coordinator Ed Donatell, making him the official scapegoat for his team's 4th-and-26 meltdown against the Philadelphia Eagles in the Packers' 20-17 loss of last year's NFC divisional playoff game.

To replace Donatell, Sherman promoted defensive backs coach Bob Slowik.

Slowik, who previously coordinated middling defenses in Chicago and Cleveland, drew up a high-pressure, high-risk, blitz-heavy scheme that was to be the identity of the 2004 Packers defense. After giving up 5 TD passes in the first half vs. Indianapolis in Week 3, his scheme was abandoned. Still, his defense gave up 5 TD passes in the first half in Week 13 against Philadelphia.

But twice giving up 5 TD passes in the first half is not why Bob Slowik must be fired. Nor is it his glaring lack of takeaways, or the insanely high opponents' passer rating. No. Bob Slowik must be fired because he schemed a defense that set many records -- in a bad way -- in the history of the Packer franchise.

Bob Slowik All-Time Records
Bob Slowik's defense is one for the history books. In a really, really bad way.

Old Record Record Slowik Record Broken

Fewest Opponent Turnovers, Season 15 16 (1995)
Fewest Passes Intercepted By, Season 8 13 (1980, 1995, 1998)
Fewest Forced Fumbles, Season 11 12 (1995)
Most First Downs Allowed Passing, Season 228 188 (1995)
Most Yards Allowed, Net Passing, Season 3,943 3,762 (1983)
Most Yards Allowed, Passing, Game 464 448 (2004)
Most TD Allowed Passing, Season 33 31 (1986)
Highest Opponents' Passer Rating 99.1 86.1 (1958)

Close-But-No-Cigar Bob Slowik All-Time Records
Thanks to Rich Wingo, Ezra Johnson, Estes Hood, and Ken Stills, Slowik finished second all-time in these categories:

Type Record Slowick Record Record All-Time
Most First Downs Allowed, Season 354 366 (1983)
Most 1st Downs Allowed by Penalty in Season 28 29 (2002)
Highest Completion % Allowed in Season 60.6 63.45 (1989)

Likely Bob Slowik All-Time Records
Here are a few other likely records that I could not verify. Please send me an email if you have source info.

Fewest fumbles recovered, season 7. 2nd-lowest in NFL.
Opponents' 3rd down conversion percentage, season 47.3. 2nd-worst in NFL.
Opponents' passing yards/attempt, season 7.61. 4th-worst in NFL.
Opponents' passing yards/completion, season 12.6. 3rd-worst in NFL.
Most passing TDs allowed, first half 5. But you knew that.
Most passing TDs, first half 5. Indianapolis franchise record.
Most passing TDs, first half 5. Philadelphia franchise record.
Most completions, start a game 14. Philadelphia franchise record. Confirmed.
Most passing yards, game 464. Philadelphia franchise record. Confirmed.

http://dack.com/archive/bob-slowik-must-be-fired.html

atwater27
09-22-2008, 12:08 AM
Hey, guess who will throw for 500 yards and 6 touchdowns every single week?

Whoever's playing the Broncos!

Seriously, we should be 1 and 2 right now. And that's how I see the team. 1 and 2. A blown call and a missed field goal.
Our D sucks hairy balls. Fire slowik now, it couldn't get any worse without him.

Tned
09-22-2008, 12:30 AM
The Saints fans are stating that their DC needs to be fired, Gibbs I think, maybe Shanahan and Payton can work a mid-season swap. Maybe new scenery will do them both good.

Tned
09-22-2008, 12:38 AM

Seriously, we should be 1 and 2 right now. And that's how I see the team. 1 and 2. A blown call and a missed field goal.
Our D sucks hairy balls. Fire slowik now, it couldn't get any worse without him.

Well, you can see them as 1-2 all you want, but the ESPN standings will still show 3-0.

Blown calls are part of the game. They happen in every game, ours was just high profile both in the type and timing.

Mr D
09-22-2008, 12:43 AM
We are not breaking the pocket, period. It's almost like there is no pocket...it's just a straight line of our DL getting pushed besides Elvis.

We need some stunts and better blitzes, but I have to admit our LB's do not blitz with authority.

I was thinking of how the team would do running a 3-4 but we don't have the LB's for a 3-4 (pass rushing LBs).

We need to run more stunts. One of the couple times we ran a stunt, I remember Elvis getting pressure on Brees where he stunted around the DT's to the middle.

Watch any NFL game and it's obvious our pass rush is just horrible.

Check this,

the ONLY lob of the game from Brees was the one that burnt Manual for the 70+ yard pass. Everything else was a line drive...meaning we are getting no pressure to force the QB to put up passes that could be contested.

Get a ******* pass rush.

omac
09-22-2008, 12:48 AM

Nah, we should be what we are, 3-0. Sure, our D sucked, but compared to our offense, their D sucked too.

Silkamilkamonico made a good point on another thread ....

Analysts, and fans think we have the best oline in the NFL as far as pass protection. And the second best pass protecting oline is whoever playing the DEnver Broncos defense.

In the same sense, our pass rush is the 2nd worst in the league; the worst pass rush is whoever we're facing. :D

Jerz
09-22-2008, 02:52 AM
I think its time to get these 1 pony DC out of here......Im tired of watching zone defense for 3 1/2 quarters every week. We need a DC that has a creative scheme that involves blitzing and taking advantage of Champs and Blys cover skills. Slowik has no clue. This is why I dont knw why we didnt go after Spags before he went to the Midgets a few years ago or Johnson before he signed back with Philly a few years back because both their schemes would be perfect here. I just think back to Brees last season in SD when he was ineffective when we blitzed often...Do they watch film?

sneakers
09-22-2008, 03:57 AM
I was thinking of this thread today watching the game. :lol:

Davii
09-22-2008, 04:12 AM
What is with the constant 3 man rush?

I mean, it's obvious we're not getting pressure when we need it, could we maybe send a linebacker or something?

It's absolutely ridiculous how much time we're giving opposing quarterbacks. Can you imagine what our O could do with that kind of time?

Mr D
09-22-2008, 04:12 AM
I'm really hoping for a change next weak and not going soft just because KC hasn't shown any success throwing the ball. We need to get PRESSURE ON THE QB!

Retired_Member_001
09-22-2008, 04:25 AM
The Saints fans are stating that their DC needs to be fired, Gibbs I think, maybe Shanahan and Payton can work a mid-season swap. Maybe new scenery will do them both good.

Their DC looks rubbish (garbage) because he's on a useless team. Ours is hopeless no matter what team you put him on. I would much rather have their guy.

I mean, Jason David at Cornerback? Poor guy.

NightTrainLayne
09-22-2008, 08:52 AM
I started this thread as a joke immediately after Slowik was hired knowing the pressure would be on him. . .

Now he's obliged me by making the defense even more of a joke than it ever has been. The only difference is we have one of the best Offense's in the league now.

Slowik has fallen in love with letting his DB's give a huge cushion off the line to "watch" the back-field play. A few seasons ago, this worked great for Champ, allowing him to seemingly pick passes at will, but there was a difference. We were getting pressure on the QB with blitzes.

Without any pressure from the front-line and/or blitzes, giving these big cushions to watch the back-field action just becomes suicide by a thousand paper-cuts.

Slowik needs to figure out that we either need to blitz the hell out of the opposition or start bumping at the line and eliminate these huge cushions. We can't do both, play off the line and not get any pressure.

Scarface
09-22-2008, 09:13 AM
Different year, same story. Everyone wants to fire the DC when it's the personnel that stinks. Until we build up a respectable D-Line we'll continue to get used and abused on D no matter who the DC is.

Thnikkaman
09-22-2008, 09:16 AM
Honestly, I would like to see slowick playing the same defense that we play in the 1st quarters when we are up by 2 scores.

Its like our D is getting the job done (even getting a TD this week), and then they go on vacation. I would love to see Lynch come back...in a coaching role.

CoachChaz
09-22-2008, 09:24 AM
We dont have the talent. That's all there is to it.

BigDaddyBronco
09-22-2008, 09:28 AM
I'm going to bitch about Slowik the same as I bitched about Bates. Why on earth if you're getting you ass handed to you do you not try something else. Getting scored on one play vs. 10 nets the same result, a TD.

Obviously, our D-Line once again can not get pressure. If we have a 3-man rush vs. a 4-man rush it's not making a difference, we need some different blitz packages. Hell, I would be ok seeing Bly and Champ get beat or gamble and get beat if we could create some turnovers and create a little havoc. This bend and don't brake stuff just isn't working.

GEM
09-22-2008, 09:33 AM
I started this thread as a joke immediately after Slowik was hired knowing the pressure would be on him. . .

Now he's obliged me by making the defense even more of a joke than it ever has been. The only difference is we have one of the best Offense's in the league now.

Slowik has fallen in love with letting his DB's give a huge cushion off the line to "watch" the back-field play. A few seasons ago, this worked great for Champ, allowing him to seemingly pick passes at will, but there was a difference. We were getting pressure on the QB with blitzes.

Without any pressure from the front-line and/or blitzes, giving these big cushions to watch the back-field action just becomes suicide by a thousand paper-cuts.

Slowik needs to figure out that we either need to blitz the hell out of the opposition or start bumping at the line and eliminate these huge cushions. We can't do both, play off the line and not get any pressure.

During yesterday's game, I remembered back to when we all complained about all the blitzing we did. Hell, I would have been good with some blitzing yesterday. Stack the box a few times and make the offense honest. Doom was being handled yesterday, but when he's really your only thread, that's to be expected. Wide open wide outs is getting a bit embarassing.

CoachChaz
09-22-2008, 09:38 AM
I posed the question yesterday as to why Stewart Bradley, Chris Gocong and Omar Gaither could get pressure on Roesthlesberger all day yesterday and our LB's cant. Overall, our LB's are at least similar in overall talent to those of the Eagles. Champ and Dre are at least as good as Samuel and Sheppard/Brown.

What it comes down to is the d-line. Bunkley, Patterson, Cole and Howard have a major talent edge on Dumer, Robertson, Thomas and Engleberger. If the front four cannot create anything...then the rest of the defense suffers. That's our problem. Too many over-achievers up front that arent producing.

5 sacks in 3 games. 1 is a team sack, 2 are from back-ups and another from a linebacker. The talent just isnt there...unless Crowder and Moss are actually capable of doing anything. But until Shanny lets them out of the doghouse and Slowik gets some balls...we'll never know.

BigDaddyBronco
09-22-2008, 09:43 AM
I posed the question yesterday as to why Stewart Bradley, Chris Gocong and Omar Gaither could get pressure on Roesthlesberger all day yesterday and our LB's cant. Overall, our LB's are at least similar in overall talent to those of the Eagles. Champ and Dre are at least as good as Samuel and Sheppard/Brown.

What it comes down to is the d-line. Bunkley, Patterson, Cole and Howard have a major talent edge on Dumer, Robertson, Thomas and Engleberger. If the front four cannot create anything...then the rest of the defense suffers. That's our problem. Too many over-achievers up front that arent producing.

5 sacks in 3 games. 1 is a team sack, 2 are from back-ups and another from a linebacker. The talent just isnt there...unless Crowder and Moss are actually capable of doing anything. But until Shanny lets them out of the doghouse and Slowik gets some balls...we'll never know.
Really it can't get any worse on the DLine, he should play Moss and Crowder for them to get some experience. Watching Moss get man-handled by that back-up LT was discouraging though.

broncofaninfla
09-22-2008, 09:50 AM

Very Well put!

CoachChaz
09-22-2008, 09:52 AM
Really it can't get any worse on the DLine, he should play Moss and Crowder for them to get some experience. Watching Moss get man-handled by that back-up LT was discouraging though.

I agree, but he's never going to get better if he's inactive and playing against the practice squad. I'd really be interested to see him lined up in Boss's spot on blitz packages. Let him rush off the edge. God knows it cant be any worse than what we're doing right now.

Thnikkaman
09-22-2008, 10:14 AM
I agree, but he's never going to get better if he's inactive and playing against the practice squad. I'd really be interested to see him lined up in Boss's spot on blitz packages. Let him rush off the edge. God knows it cant be any worse than what we're doing right now.

Maybe someone will decide to give them a chance this week against the Chefs.

OB
09-22-2008, 10:40 AM
Really - why not try some different players - like Chaz said - it most certainly cant get amy worse - and KC would be a good team to at least try something different - although i will die if we lose against them

LRtagger
09-22-2008, 10:42 AM

EXACTLY...thank you

OB
09-22-2008, 10:55 AM
How long is Slowiks contract and if raitard davis can fire Kiffin mid way - why cant we find someone better?

Lonestar
09-22-2008, 11:07 AM
How long is Slowiks contract and if raitard davis can fire Kiffin mid way - why cant we find someone better?

We can fire anyone anytime just have to pay them..

But then if your not doing the job what does it matter.. he is showing up and not producing now as it is..

Does Kiffin have any Defensive experience?

I look to see mikeys defensive playbook hit the team during bye week. we all know he is the mastermind..

OB
09-22-2008, 11:23 AM
We can fire anyone anytime just have to pay them..

But then if your not doing the job what does it matter.. he is showing up and not producing now as it is..

Does Kiffin have any Defensive experience?

I look to see mikeys defensive playbook hit the team during bye week. we all know he is the mastermind..

I was wondering cause most people were acting like we are stuck with him for the year - and IMO if he blows it against the queefs next week his ass should be fired

Lonestar
09-22-2008, 11:32 AM
I was wondering cause most people were acting like we are stuck with him for the year - and IMO if he blows it against the queefs next week his ass should be fired

In fact we are stuck with because we all KNOW that mikey does nor make mistakes.. OR in this case admit it mid season..

If things have not changed by the BYE week look for mikey to revamp the D just like he did last year using the mastermind to do it and if it all works out then "his" DC gets the credit if it does not he gets the Axe..

Scapgoat city..

hamrob
09-22-2008, 12:56 PM
To me...it was very interesting to hear that Shanny and Cutler aren't discussing offensive game plans etc. I'm sure he's speaking with Bates...but nevertheless, it shows he's letting them run the offense for the most part.

You'd think...that Shanny would slide on over to the Defensive meetings and take charge of that squad. We all know he is an offensive coach...but you need to focus on your biggest liability...and that's our defense.

dogfish
09-22-2008, 02:38 PM

coach, i don't disagree at all with your assesment of the DL-- i've been pretty much begging for an improved D-line for years now-- but one thing i would like to point out is that jim johnson has never been afraid to dial up blitzes regardless of down, distance, score or anything else. . . he brings pressure from every angle and lets his guys get after it. . .

our DL back in '05 didn't rush the passer any better than this year's bunch, but that D still generated a lot of pressure because we weren't afraid to blitz, and blitz heavy. . . yesterday, slowik might as well have sent brees a memo "we're not going to come after you at all, feel free to get as comfortable as you need to". . . . :tsk:

ktrain
09-22-2008, 10:26 PM

I'm sorry 9er, you don't run a three man pass rush and 8 man zone against drew brees, he is too good and too accurace. It does not take a rocket scientist to fiqure out this won't work...what a completely moronic scheme. Geez, no wonder slowik has failed three other times as a DC

LRtagger
09-28-2008, 03:29 PM
33 points to the Queefs deserved a BUMP

Traveler
09-28-2008, 03:32 PM
The worst part is that they don't seem to be getting better.

weazel
09-28-2008, 03:35 PM
the defenses new philophy is to listen for the start of the play and close their eyes and run towards the sounds of the game

jrelway
09-28-2008, 03:36 PM
letting KC run the score up on us. slowik needs to go. and no it aint too early in the season.

dogfish
09-28-2008, 03:36 PM
fire soft bob!!

Timmy!
09-28-2008, 03:37 PM
Anybody want to go halves on a hitman? Let me know.......:D

NightTrainLayne
09-28-2008, 03:48 PM
Let's fire Slowik, and find some D-Lineman.

But then, let's figure out how to help the Offense hold onto the ball.

For Christ's sakes, hardly any defense is going to bail you out with 4 turnovers, and a huge kick return in the bottom half of the 4th quarter.

Requiem / The Dagda
09-28-2008, 03:49 PM
Slim for DC!

slim
09-28-2008, 03:51 PM
Slim for DC!

Well, I am an ass...maybe I can pass that attitude on to the players.

Timmy!
09-28-2008, 03:56 PM
Let's fire Slowik, and find some D-Lineman.

But then, let's figure out how to help the Offense hold onto the ball.

For Christ's sakes, hardly any defense is going to bail you out with 4 turnovers, and a huge kick return in the bottom half of the 4th quarter.

The turnovers killed no doubt, but on the key 3rd down play after said kickoff return, we sat back and rushed only 4 guys. As soon as I saw the 4 man front with obviously no blitz I knew it was an easy first down. We don't stunt, we play 3-4 (it got torched) we switch back to 4-3, when we do blitz it's more than obvious where it's coming from. Slowik is an idiot. IMO, to be remotely successful, this defense is going to have to gamble. Hell, we don't even run blitz when everybody in the stadium knows it's going to be a run :tsk:

I say we get a ball tumbler. You know, like they use in bingo or on powerball drawings? We put 100 balls in it, numbered 1-100 with a play corresponding to each number. Then, we simply draw a ball and run that play. Genius.

Ok....3-10, ball #33=Goaline, gaps fire......it could work....

G_Money
09-28-2008, 04:06 PM
I can get a high school coach to run a defense better than this. Just give him positional coaches who teach the TECHNIQUES properly, and then define your defense.

"Okay, 4 DL aren't cutting it on the pass rush, so we're gonna have to be a blitzing team.

"We CAN run some zone blitz but our safeties are terrible in coverage, so we'll probably want to bring them on blitzes. 8 man box, blitz either the safety or a LB, and whichever guy isn't blitzing takes the TE or RB responsibilities. Sometimes we'll bring both together, and sometimes we'll run a zone where we DO only bring 4 in order to cut down on the 3-step drop and 5 yard completion issue. We are allowed to blitz both the run AND the pass, funnily enough - no sense not doing it. if the remaining safety can't hack coverage then play JW as the safety. Corner blitzes will be saved for after we can actually get pressure with the S or LB, because right now we need them in coverage, badly.

"That work for everyone? Okay, go teach them how to do that."

C'MON SLOWIK, PICK IT UP.

~G

atwater27
09-28-2008, 04:07 PM
Fire that son of a bitch. Fire him now. Hire the waterboy to improve the D.

Timmy!
09-28-2008, 04:19 PM
I can get a high school coach to run a defense better than this. Just give him positional coaches who teach the TECHNIQUES properly, and then define your defense.

"Okay, 4 DL aren't cutting it on the pass rush, so we're gonna have to be a blitzing team.

"We CAN run some zone blitz but our safeties are terrible in coverage, so we'll probably want to bring them on blitzes. 8 man box, blitz either the safety or a LB, and whichever guy isn't blitzing takes the TE or RB responsibilities. Sometimes we'll bring both together, and sometimes we'll run a zone where we DO only bring 4 in order to cut down on the 3-step drop and 5 yard completion issue. We are allowed to blitz both the run AND the pass, funnily enough - no sense not doing it. if the remaining safety can't hack coverage then play JW as the safety. Corner blitzes will be saved for after we can actually get pressure with the S or LB, because right now we need them in coverage, badly.

"That work for everyone? Okay, go teach them how to do that."

C'MON SLOWIK, PICK IT UP.

~G

What you said. I don't see what's so friggin hard to figure out? If we can do it, whey can't somebody who gets paid for it. I don't expect it to be perfect, but the defense is actually getting WORSE, not better.

Lonestar
09-29-2008, 12:10 AM
Bates is laughing all the way to the bank..

sneakers
09-29-2008, 12:33 AM
Fire that son of a bitch. Fire him now. Hire the waterboy to improve the D.

At least give him a full season, that's the least we gave our last 3 defensive cordinators. :laugh:

Timmy!
09-29-2008, 12:43 AM
Coyer is laughing all the way to the bank..

Edited for accuracy.

G_Money
09-29-2008, 12:51 AM
Coyer years:
Year Rank in points allowed
2003 - 9th
2004 - 9th
2005 - 3rd
2006 - 8th

Bates
2007 - 28th

Slowik
2008 - 29th (so far)

Can we call Coyer up, tell him we're sorry and get him back?

I'd totally be behind a pay raise for him as well.

How many games could we win with a defense that only gave up 19 points a game?

Gah... :tsk:

~G

Timmy!
09-29-2008, 12:56 AM
Coyer years:
Year Rank in points allowed
2003 - 9th
2004 - 9th
2005 - 3rd
2006 - 8th

Bates
2007 - 28th

Slowik
2008 - 29th (so far)

Can we call Coyer up, tell him we're sorry and get him back?

I'd totally be behind a pay raise for him as well.

How many games could we win with a defense that only gave up 19 points a game?

Gah... :tsk:

~G

:salute: I wish. Honestly, I never called for Coyers head. He couldn't adjust at halftime to save his life, but at least the scheme wasn't completely retarded to begin with. I'd cut off a toe to have him back.

Bronco9798
09-29-2008, 07:57 AM
I'm getting tired of firing Coordinators. How about we find some talent that wants to play what the Coordinator schemes. How about we execute and play football. It should be obvious that the problem is the players and the execution. We always find a scapegoat with the coordinators, it's about time we lay the blame on the talent.

MOtorboat
09-29-2008, 08:23 AM
I would love to hear Zam's thoughts this morning :rolleyes:

Bronco9798
09-29-2008, 08:26 AM
I would love to hear Zam's thoughts this morning :rolleyes:

zambini15
#7,Lance & ELWAY

Salute: 154
Saluted 144 Times in 81 Posts

3 and 1.
we could just as easily be 1-3.
our offense has to be BOTH good and LUCKY to win a game.
pathetic loss to one of the NFLs worst teams.
How many times did we sack HUARD?
what was their YPC ?
pathetic.

well, we saw what happens when jay focuses too much on brandon, didn't we !
TE wide open down the middle, JAY throws to #15 who is triple covered, INT !

MOtorboat
09-29-2008, 08:27 AM
zambini15
#7,Lance & ELWAY

Salute: 154
Saluted 144 Times in 81 Posts

3 and 1.
we could just as easily be 1-3.
our offense has to be BOTH good and LUCKY to win a game.
pathetic loss to one of the NFLs worst teams.
How many times did we sack HUARD?
what was their YPC ?
pathetic.

lol, yeah, I just found it...

LRtagger
09-29-2008, 09:07 AM
You are fooling yourself if you think we are last in the league because of personnel. Yea, our pass rush is terrible, but there are ways to coach around that (assuming you are a good coordinator).

There is no way we have the worst defensive personnel in the league. Yea, turnovers hurt but this is the Chefs we are talking about here. Technically we had 4 turnovers, but in actuality we really only had 3 since we traded TO's with them in i think it was the 3rd (Cutler INT, LJ Fumble, Cutler INT).

The Bears had three TO's against the Chefs last year, but still won 20-10.

We looked exactly like last years team yesterday...maybe even worse. I think we had 3 redzone FG attempts, Cutler made bad decisions and didnt look anywhere besides Marshall (both INTs were thrown at Marshall), the run defense was terrible, playcalling was idiotic, etc.

I guarantee you if we had Jim Johnson as our DC we would easily be a top 15 defense with the same personnel and we wouldnt have to put up 40 points a game to get a W.

I could care less what the rest of the league thinks about us firing DC's every year....

SLOWIK SUCKS

jrelway
09-29-2008, 10:07 AM
do what we did against philly back in 05 or 06 i think. blitz everyone. maybe we get a sack or a turnover out of that. if not, and teams beat us for a big gain, what have we got to lose? sick of this vanilla crap we keep playing. If our front 4 cant get to the qb after 4 games, shit should be obvious by now.

jrelway
09-29-2008, 10:09 AM
wonder how many years jim johnson or dick lebeau have on their current contracts. somethings gotta change. slowik didnt do crap in GB either, and they had a better D line.

DenverBronkHoes
09-29-2008, 10:11 AM
anyone ever think that shanny is the problem?

LRtagger
09-29-2008, 10:46 AM
do what we did against philly back in 05 or 06 i think. blitz everyone. maybe we get a sack or a turnover out of that. if not, and teams beat us for a big gain, what have we got to lose? sick of this vanilla crap we keep playing. If our front 4 cant get to the qb after 4 games, shit should be obvious by now.

This is exactly what I would do. Why not bring the house and leave Champ and Dre, one LB and one Safety in coverage? The worst that could happen is we give up a big play, but we are doing that now anyways. Maybe we could get some pressure and rattle the QB or get some turnovers.

Notice how every team we play brings a blitz all the time because they cant get pressure on Cutler with their front 4? Its exactly what we need to do.

OB
09-29-2008, 11:08 AM
anyone ever think that shanny is the problem?

More than a few - fire shanny threads are usually everywhere - this place seems to be a little more shanny friendly - although what has he done for us lately - hell what has he done since Elway and TD left :whoknows:

He got Jay - thats a plus - i believe shanny is truly an offensive genius but hasnt a clue about defense - therefore needs an exceptional D cord - i dont think Slowik is it, just MHO

LRtagger
09-29-2008, 11:20 AM
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/SlowikSucks/

Thnikkaman
09-29-2008, 11:47 AM
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/SlowikSucks/

I was the first to sign. Go ME!!!

Lonestar
09-29-2008, 01:21 PM
More than a few - fire shanny threads are usually everywhere - this place seems to be a little more shanny friendly - although what has he done for us lately - hell what has he done since Elway and TD left :whoknows:

He got Jay - thats a plus - i believe shanny is truly an offensive genius but hasnt a clue about defense - therefore needs an exceptional D cord - i dont think Slowik is it, just MHO

one would think if your an offensive genius that you could reverse engineer it to become an defensive genius or at least an Defensive idiot...

Not sure that he is even that..

56crash
09-29-2008, 01:29 PM
man I don't know about fire but it would be really nice to have him back over the CB's

then hire Greg Robertson

oubronco
09-29-2008, 04:11 PM
FIRE SLOWICK and hire who ? theres not alot to choose from out there

LRtagger
09-29-2008, 04:58 PM
There are a lot of guys who would probably be better than Slowdik. There are probably a dozen guys we could grab from top universities.

Nick Holt would be my top candidate
Paul Rhoads
Jim Heacock
Dick Bumpas
Maybe Bo Pilini although thats a stretch

Just to name a few that we could go after in the offseason.

Superchop 7
09-29-2008, 05:28 PM

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

In this particular game, it would have worked perfectly, I was thinking the same thing.

Most teams you can't bring that much heat, this team you could.

Superchop 7
09-29-2008, 05:31 PM
FIRE SLOWICK and hire who ? theres not alot to choose from out there

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________

Put Al Wilson at MLB and let him call the defense.

Lonestar
09-29-2008, 05:35 PM
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________

guess he can miss as many tackle as webster can.. for that matter bring back John Lynch at least he can tackle at the LOS..

Shazam!
09-29-2008, 05:54 PM
As for the Robinson reference, I was against Robinson being fired. That's the great treatment Shanahan gave to one of the guys that helped him win the Super Bowls.

Superchop 7
09-29-2008, 06:22 PM
guess he can miss as many tackle as webster can.. for that matter bring back John Lynch at least he can tackle at the LOS..

nice point

Simple Jaded
09-29-2008, 06:30 PM
The Denver Broncos next Scapego......I mean Defensive Coordinator: Mike Waufle......

DenverBronkHoes
09-29-2008, 09:59 PM

holy shit this statement means so much more than it seems....

:elefant::elefant::beer:

Ziggy
09-29-2008, 10:26 PM
Marvin Lewis should be available by the end of the season.

OB
09-29-2008, 11:08 PM
The Denver Broncos next Scapego......I mean Defensive Coordinator: Mike Waufle......

at least we can totally go nuts with his name too :laugh:

I wasnt a robinson fan - but it was personal - the few times we met the broncos team he was a total dic - but his def won championships or was it our offense :confused:

56crash
09-29-2008, 11:23 PM
people need to take a breath...lol. we as a team need to lean on our O line .

G_Money
09-29-2008, 11:58 PM
They can play defense too?

Those are some talented mofos, jeez...

~G

Shazam!
09-30-2008, 01:00 AM
They need to Draft hulks at DLine. Big guys. Athleticism and speed is nice, but it hasn't worked. It's time to go in a different direction here I think.

Idk if I'd lay it ALL on the DC's head either. Year after year these recycled DC's doesn't give the players the kind of relationship they should have with an Asst. Coach like Coordinators. It's not good for the team, the constant carousel.

It's all about the talent up front. Mediocre at best. Doom is good but he lacks the size IMO, should be only a specialist. He'd probably make a perfect convert to LB, he's more built for the position in fact.

Let's hope they get it out for TB. Griese knows well how to play in Denver and what to expect, and we KNOW he'd be salivating at a chance to beat Denver at home.

Broncos, please kick Griese's ass.

sneakers
09-30-2008, 01:09 AM
They need to Draft hulks at DLine. Big guys. Athleticism and speed is nice, but it hasn't worked. It's time to go in a different direction here I think.

Idk if I'd lay it ALL on the DC's head either. Year after year these recycled DC's doesn't give the players the kind of relationship they should have with an Asst. Coach like Coordinators. It's not good for the team, the constant carousel.

It's all about the talent up front. Mediocre at best. Doom is good but he lacks the size IMO, should be only a specialist. He'd probably make a perfect convert to LB, he's more built for the position in fact.

Let's hope they get it out for TB. Griese knows well how to play in Denver and what to expect, and we KNOW he'd be salivating at a chance to beat Denver at home.

Broncos, please kick Griese's ass.

Yes!!!

Draft this guy, and he will clog up the middle real well!

http://www.cites.org/gallery/speciespics/mammal/large/walrus_L.jpg

LRtagger
09-30-2008, 07:49 AM
Yes!!!

Draft this guy, and he will clog up the middle real well!

http://www.cites.org/gallery/speciespics/mammal/large/walrus_L.jpg

We already tried Sam Adams...he didnt work out.

dunk7
09-30-2008, 04:51 PM
We already tried Sam Adams...he didnt work out.

You beat me to the punch...I was going to reply.."Sam has lost weight"

dogfish
09-30-2008, 05:01 PM
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/4038/motivator9413618su3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

weazel
09-30-2008, 06:18 PM
letting KC run the score up on us. slowik needs to go. and no it aint too early in the season.

better to do it early than late.

Buff
10-02-2008, 01:28 PM
I had never actually seen or heard Slowik until yesterday when I watched the interview with him on the Broncos main page... Let me say, I was NOT impressed. Dude's a yokel. He was trying to spew shanny's line about how the defense played well in KC if it weren't for 4 plays... As if they haven't sucked for the previous 18 games as well.

I don't know, I hate to judge a guy by one interview, but he did not inspire one iota of confidence in me that he can turn this thing around.

NightTrainLayne
10-02-2008, 01:33 PM
I had never actually seen or heard Slowik until yesterday when I watched the interview with him on the Broncos main page... Let me say, I was NOT impressed. Dude's a yokel. He was trying to spew shanny's line about how the defense played well in KC if it weren't for 4 plays... As if they haven't sucked for the previous 18 games as well.

I don't know, I hate to judge a guy by one interview, but he did not inspire one iota of confidence in me that he can turn this thing around.

That whole idea of "except for 3-4 plays" is so ridiculous.

I could maybe go with it for a defense that had played really well all season and then in one game it seems to fall apart, but this defense has absolutely no credibility to try and pawn off that idea. Every play counts, you can't do just pick and choose the ones you like.

That kind of excuse-making is how we end up with the same problem again and again, year after year.

muse
10-02-2008, 01:48 PM
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/4038/motivator9413618su3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

...has he just soiled himself in that picture? :lol: cause that's what it looks like.

Marvin Lewis may not be a bad idea actually. Especially since he'll have a bunch of guys who aren't so likely to end up in prison. I want us to keep Slo though but strictly as a DBs coach which is something he's good at. I just don't think his style if conducive to being a good D Coord - he's just too nice from what I hear.

LRtagger
10-02-2008, 01:50 PM
That's like saying "We would have gone to the Super Bowl in 2005 if not for those 4 or 5 bad plays by Plummer"

BFD WE STILL GOT OUR ASSES KICKED!!!!!!

Slowik is a douche

LRtagger
10-12-2008, 04:52 PM
David Garrard 18/21 182 8.7

Maurice Jones-Drew 10 93 9.3 2TDs

bump

EDIT: these were the numbers at the half FYI

LRtagger
10-12-2008, 05:16 PM
David Garrard 22/26 252 9.7ave 1 TD 0 INT

Benetto
10-12-2008, 05:33 PM
How are all these fleas getting open? Gararrd is like 25-28...

Its the defensive scheme...FIRE SLOWIK and go looking for a young smart college coordinator. QUICK!!!

TXBRONC
10-12-2008, 06:39 PM
That's like saying "We would have gone to the Super Bowl in 2005 if not for those 4 or 5 bad plays by Plummer"

BFD WE STILL GOT OUR ASSES KICKED!!!!!!

Slowik is a douche

I don't call it an ass kicking. While I hate the end result this game was nothing like last year's game.

TXBRONC
10-12-2008, 06:40 PM
How are all these fleas getting open? Gararrd is like 25-28...

Its the defensive scheme...FIRE SLOWIK and go looking for a young smart college coordinator. QUICK!!!

Just about everything Gararrd threw was on short to intermediate routes.

Benetto
10-12-2008, 06:41 PM
Just about everything Gararrd threw was on short to intermediate routes.

Weren't they avging 15.5 yards per play in the first half?

TXBRONC
10-12-2008, 06:45 PM
Weren't they avging 15.5 yards per play in the first half?

Yes. Intermediate routes are between 10 and 15 yards if I'm not mistaken.

G_Money
10-12-2008, 06:57 PM
Jacksonville didn't WANT to throw it far downfield.

If they were gonna keep us off the field they needed to run it and throw the ball 10 yards at a clip.

And they did.

And then when we needed to get the ball back at the end of the game it looked JUST like last year when they were getting 6 ypc and dragging us across the first down lines to keep chewing clock.

The guys played really hard today, but when it came down to it they just couldn't stop em.

Of course, if not for that phantom interference call they might have...but these things happen.

The defense should still kick the offense in the shins for all the turnovers though. Both sides fell down at times to contribute to this loss.

~G

G_Money
10-12-2008, 06:59 PM
BTW, Jacksonville averaged under 300 yards of total offense per game before us.

This game: 25 first downs, 416 total yards.

We played harder. but it still hurts.

~G

NameUsedBefore
10-12-2008, 07:05 PM
Let's all remember the common denominator from that one article: the defensive lineman coach.

dogfish
10-12-2008, 07:10 PM
Both sides fell down at times to contribute to this loss.

~G

yea, real team effort, huh?

:tsk:

while there are no moral victories, i at least take SOME comfort in the fact that we had those turnovers, were playing without half our offense, and were still within reach of tying the game late. . . although the end result wasn't there, the defense at least put together some solid series here and there. . . unless the line takes a real step forward (pretty unlikely), defense is probably going to be a problem all year-- i think the shortcomings of our personnel are becoming more and more obvious, but IMO some of our guys are starting to play a little more consistent on that side of the ball. . . webster probably had one of his best games as a bronco. . . our problems on offense are more fixable-- the upcoming bye should hopefully give us a chance to get healtheir on that side of the ball, and the careless turnovers are a correctable mistake. . . if the offense can get back to where they were early and start putting pressure on opposing defenses instead of our own, we have a chance for a solid season. . . the coaches better be working some ball security drills this week!

LoyalSoldier
10-12-2008, 07:13 PM
Near the end the defense was playing well till that last drive. They stopped the Jags in their own territory on three strait possessions, but the offense didn't do much with it. Including a drive that only gained 2 yards.

G_Money
10-12-2008, 07:27 PM
The defense took some punches to the face over the course of the game but they didn't fold. That phantom interference call sucker-punched them and took the wind outta their sails, but before that they were hanging tough.

They played with energy and enthusiasm all game long. Now whether that's because the Jags O isn't nearly as impressive as the Saints and the Chargers so they didn't feel overmatched, I dunno. But I was happy to see the spirit out there.

We're not getting housed by anybody this year thus far, which is better than last year already (I don't consider what happened in KC to be a housing to be laid on the D, I guess). But the offense has to do its part if we're gonna go anywhere.

Webster DID play well. Thomas had some great plays. The corners did pretty well. But we're still not getting all the pressure we should. The whole interior of J-Ville's offensive line is backups and we still didn't get enough pressure on Gerrard to make him throw some passes in the dirt - or our CBs hands.

Gotta get better at that. Some improvement in the pressure department and our offense getting healthy and back to the first few weeks of the season will do wonders for our gameday outlooks.

As long as we can hold on to the damn ball... :tsk: Because this D is never gonna be a turnover machine as currently designed. So we CAN'T be giving the ball up this many times a game. Just can't.

~G

gobroncsnv
10-12-2008, 07:36 PM
Yeah, the glints from Thomas's game are glowing more brightly. But I do hate losing those scrums when Jax ran the ball up the middle.

LRtagger
10-12-2008, 08:10 PM
I don't call it an ass kicking. While I hate the end result this game was nothing like last year's game.

check the date, i wrote that after the KC game.

TXBRONC
10-12-2008, 08:28 PM
check the date, i wrote that after the KC game.

Sorry about that LR. It seemed like something that would be said after this loss.

Broncolingus
10-12-2008, 11:46 PM
"Fire Slow-lick"...and what?

Get another D-Coordinator in here that'll just have the same result?

Until Denver get's four defensive down linemen that can put some pressure on the QB and plug running holes, read my ******* lips...

"WHOEVER THE DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR IS WONT MAKE A DAMN BIT OF DIFFERENCE"

DenverBronkHoes
10-13-2008, 01:27 AM
he'll just be another guy to scapegoat while the real problems go unaddressed

Broncolingus
10-13-2008, 08:22 AM
he'll just be another guy to scapegoat while the real problems go unaddressed

...amazing to me how many folks cant seem to see that.

LRtagger
10-13-2008, 09:38 AM
Sorry, but our stats are NOT indicative of the talent (or lack thereof) on this team at any position. Are you telling me that there are 31 other teams that have a better defensive front than ours? Sorry, but I don't buy it.

It was aparent what SCHEME and DEFENSIVE PLAYCALLING can do for this defense. Just look back at the TB game. They arent the best offense in the league, but they are way better than KC and better than Jax for that matter. Yet we were able to dominate them on the LOS and in the secondary because we mixed up the looks, created confusions with blitzes, etc. Sure we would be better with talent, but lets not fool ourselves into thinking that if we had even 4 decent DLmen that we would be a top 5 defense. Sorry, but even with a great line we are still a mediocre defense.

If you dont think Slowik contributes to our crappy D, just look at his resume. We were a better defense last year, with less talent.

jrelway
10-13-2008, 10:20 AM
slowik sucks. where has this guy won? it gets old watching our LB'ers creep up to the line to show blitz, then just drop back in that zone coverage. Boss Baileys pretty dam injury prone too.

LRtagger
10-13-2008, 12:24 PM
IMO Slowik is getting a BYE simply because people are tired of seeing DC's get fired so quickly. Consider his past DC efforts and you will see the guy has no clue about how to run an efficient defense. No matter what talent we bring in through the draft, we will never have a top-ranked defense with Slowik at the helm.

Lonestar
10-13-2008, 12:27 PM
IMO Slowik is getting a BYE simply because people are tired of seeing DC's get fired so quickly. Consider his past DC efforts and you will see the guy has no clue about how to run an efficient defense. No matter what talent we bring in through the draft, we will never have a top-ranked defense with Slowik at the helm.

not even sure WITH talent we would be much better that average..

lex
10-13-2008, 01:05 PM

6 games into the season and we have 2 INTs on defense and one of them from a DT.

LR is dead on guys. We shouldnt settle for garbage just because we're tired of changes. If we were going to stick with someone, Bates would have been a better choice when you look at their demonstrated acumen. Under Slowik the Packers set a record all time low with 8 INTs for an entire season. The old record was 13. Slowiks defense barely halved the previous all time low.

Den21vsBal19
10-13-2008, 02:22 PM
6 games into the season and we have 2 INTs on defense and one of them from a DT.

LR is dead on guys. We shouldnt settle for garbage just because we're tired of changes. If we were going to stick with someone, Bates would have been a better choice when you look at their demonstrated acumen. Under Slowik the Packers set a record all time low with 8 INTs for an entire season. The old record was 13. Slowiks defense barely halved the previous all time low.
Give the guy credit................he wants to beat his own record for ineptitude ;)

Just let him do it elsewhere, for pete's sake :frusty:

broncofaninfla
10-14-2008, 08:59 AM
Our problem is we simply don't have talent on the defensive line or at MLB. It isn't scheme, we have duds. I'm seeing players in postion to make plays, they just aren't making them. Each of them gets blown off the line and manhandled like men playing boys. I'm not a huge Slowick fan but place the blame where it is deserved. Other than Doom and maybe Thomas, our D line sucks and yes I feel we have the top 3 worst d lines in the NFL right now.

claymore
10-14-2008, 09:10 AM
Sorry, but our stats are NOT indicative of the talent (or lack thereof) on this team at any position. Are you telling me that there are 31 other teams that have a better defensive front than ours? Sorry, but I don't buy it.

It was aparent what SCHEME and DEFENSIVE PLAYCALLING can do for this defense. Just look back at the TB game. They arent the best offense in the league, but they are way better than KC and better than Jax for that matter. Yet we were able to dominate them on the LOS and in the secondary because we mixed up the looks, created confusions with blitzes, etc. Sure we would be better with talent, but lets not fool ourselves into thinking that if we had even 4 decent DLmen that we would be a top 5 defense. Sorry, but even with a great line we are still a mediocre defense.

If you dont think Slowik contributes to our crappy D, just look at his resume. We were a better defense last year, with less talent.

Yes.

I think there are colleges that have better people on the defensive side of the ball. This will take years to fix.

LRtagger
10-14-2008, 09:33 AM
Our problem is we simply don't have talent on the defensive line or at MLB. It isn't scheme, we have duds. I'm seeing players in postion to make plays, they just aren't making them. Each of them gets blown off the line and manhandled like men playing boys. I'm not a huge Slowick fan but place the blame where it is deserved. Other than Doom and maybe Thomas, our D line sucks and yes I feel we have the top 3 worst d lines in the NFL right now.

No, we do not have bottom 3 talent on our D. Sorry, but we don't.

For those that think this is talent and not scheme, lets look at the offensive side of the ball in years past. We have always had undersized O-lineman and bottom of the barrel talent at RB, but we have always seemed to get it done and managed to produce 1000 yard rushers year in and year out. You can attribute that to SCHEME and COACHING.

The same can be said on the defensive side of the ball. Yea we have some talent issues, but we are certainly not worst in the league in talent, yet Slowik manages to make us look like we are employing high school kids on D. These guys have no clue where they need to be on the field, what gaps they need to attack, or what guys they need to cover. That is all on the coaches.

Yea we could use a better pass rush, but if you dont have the freak DE's that demand double-teams you have to come up with schemes to create pressure. There are teams that consistantly have good defenses no matter their personel. Slowik has no idea how to develop pressure or create turnovers. We have 2 INTs all year and one of them probably would have never happened if the replay equipment was working. Slowik can not adjust his defensive scheme during the game. We are one of the top defenses in the league in the first quarter and the absolute worst in the league from there on out. That should tell you all you need to hear right there.

Defensive dominance starts with the coaching staff. Everyone was calling for Coyer's head in 2006, but if we had even a resemblane of the D he incorporated we would easily be undefeated and the best team in the league.

If anyone thought Slowik was going to turn this defense around after Bates, you are dead wrong. As a matter of fact, Bates was brought into Green Bay after Slowik managed to turn their defense into the worst in the league (and arguably the worst in LEAGUE HISTORY). Irony.

NightTrainLayne
10-14-2008, 09:38 AM
"Fire Slow-lick"...and what?

Get another D-Coordinator in here that'll just have the same result?

Until Denver get's four defensive down linemen that can put some pressure on the QB and plug running holes, read my ******* lips...

"WHOEVER THE DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR IS WONT MAKE A DAMN BIT OF DIFFERENCE"

...amazing to me how many folks cant seem to see that.

Check the date on when I started this thread. It was intended as a sarcastic response the moment Slowik was named DC, as I knew it wouldn't be long before everyone was calling for his head as well.

Of course, Slowik doesn't seem to be helping his cause very much.

lex
10-14-2008, 09:51 AM
No, we do not have bottom 3 talent on our D. Sorry, but we don't.

For those that think this is talent and not scheme, lets look at the offensive side of the ball in years past. We have always had undersized O-lineman and bottom of the barrel talent at RB, but we have always seemed to get it done and managed to produce 1000 yard rushers year in and year out. You can attribute that to SCHEME and COACHING.

The same can be said on the defensive side of the ball. Yea we have some talent issues, but we are certainly not worst in the league in talent, yet Slowik manages to make us look like we are employing high school kids on D. These guys have no clue where they need to be on the field, what gaps they need to attack, or what guys they need to cover. That is all on the coaches.

Yea we could use a better pass rush, but if you dont have the freak DE's that demand double-teams you have to come up with schemes to create pressure. There are teams that consistantly have good defenses no matter their personel. Slowik has no idea how to develop pressure or create turnovers. We have 2 INTs all year and one of them probably would have never happened if the replay equipment was working. Slowik can not adjust his defensive scheme during the game. We are one of the top defenses in the league in the first quarter and the absolute worst in the league from there on out. That should tell you all you need to hear right there.

Defensive dominance starts with the coaching staff. Everyone was calling for Coyer's head in 2006, but if we had even a resemblane of the D he incorporated we would easily be undefeated and the best team in the league.

If anyone thought Slowik was going to turn this defense around after Bates, you are dead wrong. As a matter of fact, Bates was brought into Green Bay after Slowik managed to turn their defense into the worst in the league (and arguably the worst in LEAGUE HISTORY). Irony.

To wit, we have a DE who had 21 sacks after his first two years in the league. Not every team has a DE that averages 10.5 sacks a season.
We also have a young DT who is starting to find his way in Thomas...a 1st round talent that we got in the 4th.

We have a WLB who has been playing very well this season in DJ.

And we have 2 CBs that some would call the best CB tandem in the league.

When you look at all levels, we shouldnt be in this bad of shape. There may be teams that have more overall talent on defense but not 30 teams. But even at that, not every team has all pros at every position on the defense. With the talent we have, we should be somewhere between a 10-20th ranked defense, not 30th.

lex
10-14-2008, 09:53 AM

Not every team has a Doom or a Thomas though. There is actually something to work with there.

broncofaninfla
10-14-2008, 09:58 AM
Not every team has a Doom or a Thomas though. There is actually something to work with there.

I'd argue that. Pretty much every team has at least guys who have above average talent like Doom and Thomas. Our problem is we have a bunch of vanilla duds playing beside them and a dud MLB and OLB trying to tackle who they allow by.

LRtagger
10-14-2008, 10:16 AM
Webster isnt great, but he is not the worst MLB in the league. Same can be said for Boss.

lex
10-14-2008, 10:27 AM
I'd argue that. Pretty much every team has at least guys who have above average talent like Doom and Thomas. Our problem is we have a bunch of vanilla duds playing beside them and a dud MLB and OLB trying to tackle who they allow by.

Marcus Thomas-- 1st round talent that we drafted in the 4th

Elvis Dumervil-- 1st round production that we drafted in the 4th

Dwayne Robertson-- Top 15 draft pick.

Tell me how we are so talent deficient on the DLine. Yeah, Engelbergers not very good but thats still 3/4 linemen who are solid to very good. You can hardly make the argument that Slowik has nothing to work with. A lot of teams scheme pass pressure and that doesnt only include blitzing...that also includes stunts, twists, etc.

Broncolingus
10-14-2008, 10:28 AM
Webster isnt great, but he is not the worst MLB in the league. Same can be said for Boss.

I agree, Boss has not overly impressed....but not killed us week-in and week-out either.

I don't think Webster's been an entire bust.

I'm going to get hung out (as usual) for this, and I admit it's a broken record, but I generally reserve judgement on the LBs - certainly the secondary - until the down-four show me something.

Broncolingus
10-14-2008, 10:30 AM
Check the date on when I started this thread. It was intended as a sarcastic response the moment Slowik was named DC, as I knew it wouldn't be long before everyone was calling for his head as well.

Of course, Slowik doesn't seem to be helping his cause very much.

No knock on ya, NTL...at least not what I mean't either.

Just think the Bronc's defensive issues go way beyond the D-Coordinator...

LRtagger
10-14-2008, 10:40 AM
A perfect example is the Philadelphia Eagles. Their DL talent does not consist of a bunch of all-pro's, but they are a top ranked defense bcause they take advantage of their speed by utilizing blitz packages and DL schemes.

TXBRONC
10-14-2008, 10:47 AM

Agreed. Now if we did have a better Mike linebacker how much better would the defense be in the middle?

LRtagger
10-14-2008, 12:42 PM
FYI Green Bay's defense was ranked in the top 5 in 2003 under Ed Donatell. Donatell then went on to be the DC for the Falcons and turnd their bottom ranked defense around to the 14th ranked defense in 2004.

Green Bay's defense was ranked 25th in the league in 2004 and worst in the league in opp passer rating under Slowik. Slowik was fired after one season as DC.

Jim Bates took over in GB and brought the team back up to average (ranked in the teens) in 2005 and back to the top 10 in 2006. Bates left GB after he was turned down for the HC position in favor of Mike McCarthy.

In other words, Slowik took a top 5 defense, made it a bottom 10 defense in one year, and it was turned around by Jim Bates back into a top 10 defense in a matter of 2 years. The same Jim Bates that Slowik replaced in Denver. Slowik is the weak link NOT talent. Like I have been saying, just look at his DC history. It tells the story plain as day.

FYI Ed Donatell is a college DC and would probably step back up to the NFL if offered a position.

Lonestar
10-14-2008, 01:10 PM
FYI Green Bay's defense was ranked in the top 5 in 2003 under Ed Donatell. Donatell then went on to be the DC for the Falcons and turnd their bottom ranked defense around to the 14th ranked defense in 2004.

Green Bay's defense was ranked 25th in the league in 2004 and worst in the league in opp passer rating under Slowik. Slowik was fired after one season as DC.

Jim Bates took over in GB and brought the team back up to average (ranked in the teens) in 2005 and back to the top 10 in 2006. Bates left GB after he was turned down for the HC position in favor of Mike McCarthy.

In other words, Slowik took a top 5 defense, made it a bottom 10 defense in one year, and it was turned around by Jim Bates back into a top 10 defense in a matter of 2 years. The same Jim Bates that Slowik replaced in Denver. Slowik is the weak link NOT talent. Like I have been saying, just look at his DC history. It tells the story plain as day.

FYI Ed Donatell is a college DC and would probably step back up to the NFL if offered a position.

Thanks for the history lesson I had thought Bates was followed by slowick in GB..

I have zero confidence in him as anything past DB coach and not all the high on him there.. The only reason I think remotely positive about that is Champ commented about how great a DB coach he was..

LRtagger
10-14-2008, 01:43 PM
I have been telling people all along that seem to think if we had talent we would be atop 10 defense to go look at Slowik's history as a DC. He took a very talented GB defense (ranked 4th in the league in 2003) and turned them into the worst defense in franchise history (25th in the league) in a span of ONE YEAR. But people are so tired of us firing DC's that they want to give Slowik a chance.

Slowik does not deserve a chance. He has proven that talent or not he can not manage a defense. He may be a fine DB coach, but he has no knowledge beyond that.

For further evidence let's look at the one season he was DC for the Cleveland Browns (1999) where he was also fired after one season. Cleveland was dead last (32nd) in the league in total defense, 29th in points allowed, dead last in rushing yards allowed by a whopping 500 yards, etc etc etc.

Slowik is terrible. Not only should he be fired, but he never should have been hired as DC to begin with.

horsepig
10-15-2008, 11:11 AM
At first I wanted to give Slo a chance but, I've seen enough. Granted the D-line is no great shakes but, our LB and safety play is so bad (not just poor,BAD) that it's really pretty hard to even sit and watch'em play. McCree and Manuel are not hitters, are not aggressive in any fashion, can"t seem to cover their responsibilities, and on top of all that they"re slow.

Retired_Member_001
10-15-2008, 01:36 PM
Not only should he be fired, but he never should have been hired as DC to begin with.

Shall we offer him the towel boy job?

dogfish
10-15-2008, 01:38 PM
Shall we offer him the towel boy job?

no. . . . then our towels would be out of position!

Lonestar
10-15-2008, 01:41 PM

and probably would not absorb sweat the job they are designed for..

Cut him so he can find a job as OAKs HC.. Al would like him because he would hate mikey or he moves to HOU where all out castoffs seem to wind up...

Retired_Member_001
10-15-2008, 01:45 PM
and probably would not absorb sweat the job they are designed for..

Cut him so he can find a job as OAKs HC.. Al would like him because he would hate mikey or he moves to HOU where all out castoffs seem to wind up...

No, the castoffs we send to Houston suck for all other 15 games, and then decide to turn into Pro Bowlers when they play us.

LRtagger
10-15-2008, 01:48 PM
He would turn Houston into the worst D in the league. Put Mario Williams at Safety.

But they would hold us to 10 points when we play. :tsk:

Retired_Member_001
10-15-2008, 01:50 PM
He would turn Houston into the worst D in the league. Put Mario Williams at Safety.

But they would hold us to 10 points when we play. :tsk:

To be honest, I don't think Slowik even knows what Football is.

LRtagger
10-15-2008, 01:52 PM

Can't argue that.

Lonestar
10-15-2008, 01:58 PM

sure has not shown me much, but then I did not like the appointment to start with..

My expectations were real low to start with. The only thing I held hope for was Champs comments about being first rate DB coach and all the Defense respected and liked him..

Now I'm not sure if he was blowing smoke up his skirt or Champ is an ASS CLOWN..

Sure hope it is the former..

Retired_Member_001
10-15-2008, 02:05 PM
sure has not shown me much, but then I did not like the appointment to start with..

My expectations were real low to start with. The only thing I held hope for was Champs comments about being first rate DB coach and all the Defense respected and liked him..

Now I'm not sure if he was blowing smoke up his skirt or Champ is an ASS CLOWN..

Sure hope it is the former..

I heard a Bronco fan call into a radio talk show saying that Slowik should shoot himself for the worthless dog he is.

Problem with that is that Slowik would pull the trigger, miss, and hit somebody important.

LRtagger
10-15-2008, 02:11 PM
i remember all the optimistic people in the offseason saying how our defense wont be great, but it couldnt be worse than last year's train wreck.

hahahahahaha

yardog
10-15-2008, 02:12 PM
Shanahan should be defensive
By Jim Armstrong
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 10/14/2008 11:10:26 PM MDT

Mike Shanahan, on the state of the Broncos' defense, circa nine days ago: "We're starting to build and starting to make some strides forward. Hopefully we can keep it going."

Let me guess. You're thinking what I'm thinking: What's he supposed to say?

Enough already with wishful thinking and talk of a blown assignment here or a missed tackle there. And don't blame the officials, either.

To be kind, the Broncos aren't very good on the defensive side of the ball. Not only that, there's no particular reason to believe they will be. Not this season. Not until a handful of new starters arrives. And frankly, even then you would have to wonder.

Given the lengths Shanahan has gone to make it not so, it's beyond perplexing how the Broncos' defense could be in such shambles. He has played musical coordinators. He has switched to the 3-4. He has tried trades and free agency and first-rounders. He swapped arguably the best tailback in franchise history for a cornerback bound for the Hall of Fame.

And still the Broncos have one of the NFL's poorest defenses.

The Tampa Bay game may have served up a slice of hope, but the Jacksonville game provided the reality check. It wasn't just that the Broncos lost, but how they lost. The defensive players knew the offense was short-handed, knew it was on them to step up and control the game.

So what happens? They get dominated in the trenches. At home. By the league's 20th-ranked offense.

Talk about deju vu all over again. A year ago, it was the same kind of loss to the same team at the same place. That's what cost Jim Bates his job. It didn't become official that day, just obvious.

Question is, why should anything be different this time? What evidence is there to think that Bates' successor, Bob Slowik, is the answer?

The Broncos are last in the league in yards allowed and on pace to set an NFL record for highest completion percentage allowed. They have two interceptions through six games, one by a defensive tackle. Last year's No. 1 draft pick, Jarvis Moss, has been on and off the inactive list.

Not that Slowik is necessarily the problem. At this point, you have to wonder if any coordinator could make a difference. And if the problem lies with the talent Slowik is working with, the blame lies with the man who hired him.

At least Shanahan knows what the problem is. It's up to him, and only him, to fix it.

56crash
10-15-2008, 06:04 PM
Shanahan should be defensive
By Jim Armstrong
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 10/14/2008 11:10:26 PM MDT

Mike Shanahan, on the state of the Broncos' defense, circa nine days ago: "We're starting to build and starting to make some strides forward. Hopefully we can keep it going."

Let me guess. You're thinking what I'm thinking: What's he supposed to say?

Enough already with wishful thinking and talk of a blown assignment here or a missed tackle there. And don't blame the officials, either.

To be kind, the Broncos aren't very good on the defensive side of the ball. Not only that, there's no particular reason to believe they will be. Not this season. Not until a handful of new starters arrives. And frankly, even then you would have to wonder.

Given the lengths Shanahan has gone to make it not so, it's beyond perplexing how the Broncos' defense could be in such shambles. He has played musical coordinators. He has switched to the 3-4. He has tried trades and free agency and first-rounders. He swapped arguably the best tailback in franchise history for a cornerback bound for the Hall of Fame.

And still the Broncos have one of the NFL's poorest defenses.

The Tampa Bay game may have served up a slice of hope, but the Jacksonville game provided the reality check. It wasn't just that the Broncos lost, but how they lost. The defensive players knew the offense was short-handed, knew it was on them to step up and control the game.

So what happens? They get dominated in the trenches. At home. By the league's 20th-ranked offense.

Talk about deju vu all over again. A year ago, it was the same kind of loss to the same team at the same place. That's what cost Jim Bates his job. It didn't become official that day, just obvious.

Question is, why should anything be different this time? What evidence is there to think that Bates' successor, Bob Slowik, is the answer?

The Broncos are last in the league in yards allowed and on pace to set an NFL record for highest completion percentage allowed. They have two interceptions through six games, one by a defensive tackle. Last year's No. 1 draft pick, Jarvis Moss, has been on and off the inactive list.

Not that Slowik is necessarily the problem. At this point, you have to wonder if any coordinator could make a difference. And if the problem lies with the talent Slowik is working with, the blame lies with the man who hired him.

At least Shanahan knows what the problem is. It's up to him, and only him, to fix it.

Our problems on the D side of the ball started when people ?

56crash
10-15-2008, 06:27 PM
When Al Wilson got hurt 3 years ago ! he was our enforcer !!!!!!!!!!!! we need a MLB'er to get back to that type of D . that does not mean or give this current payers a built in excuse but it does need to be adressed after the season ends.

Drill-N-Fill
10-15-2008, 06:31 PM
I asked Jim Armstrong about Tim Crowder. Here is what I got back...

crowder was drafted to play in jim bates' system. he isn't very big and has been nicked a lot with injuries. he may or may not pan out. nice kid, but he hasn't made an impact. and sadly he isnt alone. jarvis moss? thats looking more and more like a blown no. 1.

----

I didn't know Crowder had injuries. He isn't on the injury list. And he's 6'4 275...thats big enough for a DE.

Lonestar
10-15-2008, 06:41 PM
Our problems on the D side of the ball started when people ?

when mikey came to town..

It has been a second class citizen forever with him..

He believed through the 2003 season when manning handed our Defense is ass with the short underneath pass all day in the playoffs.

Mikey answer to that was get a CB wallah Champ was acquired..

While he shut down his side of the field for the most part the next year manning did it again..

Then we acquired the browncos and drafted 3 CB's in the draft..

no major change cause while coyer had some talent he could not make adjustment on the fly to save his job..

Exit coyer enter Slowick as DC and Bate hired afterward as a ASS HC on D..
drafted 3 DL players of dubious skill and citizenship. we digressed to the bottom 5 in defense.. and losing record..

Until Bates was hired we lived off of FA's and hand me downs from teams that upgraded their talent and flushed the guys we got..

While Bates might not have had the best IDEA he was at least a proven winner.

I think I got the chronological part right.. might be off a year..

But to re-answer your question mikey is a brilliant offensive guy that does not seem to be able to find his ass with both hands on Defensive matters.. or coaches..

Lonestar
10-15-2008, 06:46 PM
I asked Jim Armstrong about Tim Crowder. Here is what I got back...

crowder was drafted to play in jim bates' system. he isn't very big and has been nicked a lot with injuries. he may or may not pan out. nice kid, but he hasn't made an impact. and sadly he isnt alone. jarvis moss? thats looking more and more like a blown no. 1.

----

I didn't know Crowder had injuries. He isn't on the injury list. And he's 6'4 275...thats big enough for a DE.

outstanding thanks for sharing.. so it is not just the bronco faithful that have wondered about moss and crowder..

Yes crowder is a bit light to play there for run stopping but that could be addressed in the weight room also.. I'd like to see the guy about 280-85. I do not think he was brought in for pass rush as his first priority..

Simple Jaded
10-15-2008, 06:53 PM
Jim Armstrong also said that Denver would beat Jacksonville by double digits......

Simple Jaded
10-15-2008, 06:57 PM
Btw, the current system isn't so spectacular, so if Moss/Crowder don't fit the system, maybe they should fit the system to the players, just like ya'll said about Bates last year.

But maybe that's just me......

Lonestar
10-15-2008, 07:06 PM
Btw, the current system isn't so spectacular, so if Moss/Crowder don't fit the system, maybe they should fit the system to the players, just like ya'll said about Bates last year.

But maybe that's just me......

whoops there you go thinking again.. :laugh:

the scheme will get changed over the bye week just like last year.. and slow is toast at years end.. or maybe he will be offered the DB coaching job..

Simple Jaded
10-15-2008, 07:09 PM
......he never should have been hired as DC to begin with.

Exactly......

Simple Jaded
10-15-2008, 07:13 PM
whoops there you go thinking again.. :laugh:

the scheme will get changed over the bye week just like last year.. and slow is toast at years end.. or maybe he will be offered the DB coaching job..

Honestly, I don't see why they wouldn't offer him the DB job, those players rave about him.

If they feel obligated to scapegoat another DC at years end, maybe they can keep him on as a position coach......

LRtagger
10-15-2008, 07:15 PM
Honestly, I don't see why they wouldn't offer him the DB job, those players rave about him.

If they feel obligated to scapegoat another DC at years end, maybe they can keep him on as a position coach......

Dont forget they tried that with Bates, but he declined. If this gets ugly, I could see Slowik declining a demotion, but not sure if any other team would hire him at this point.

Lonestar
10-15-2008, 07:17 PM
Dont forget they tried that with Bates, but he declined. If this gets ugly, I could see Slowik declining a demotion, but not sure if any other team would hire him at this point.

raiders are looking for a HC next year..

lex
10-15-2008, 07:33 PM

LOL. Thats a great line.

LRtagger
10-15-2008, 07:34 PM
I wish we could get Ed Donatell back. He was the secondary coach of our SB teams and has turned around numorous defenses.

Simple Jaded
10-15-2008, 07:36 PM

That's kinda what I'm thinking, and a demotion is better than no job, especially in this economy.

Btw, who could blame Bates for not wanting to be a lieutenant to a bafoon like Slowik? That's an insult......

lex
10-15-2008, 07:42 PM
I wish we could get Ed Donatell back. He was the secondary coach of our SB teams and has turned around numorous defenses.

I hope so as well. Not only because he actually has a credible resume but also because it would be perfect symmetry:

Packers

Donatell replaced by Slowik. Slowik replaced by Bates.

Broncos
Bates replaced by Slowik. Slowik replaced by Donatell.

Lonestar
10-15-2008, 11:18 PM
That's kinda what I'm thinking, and a demotion is better than no job, especially in this economy.

Btw, who could blame Bates for not wanting to be a lieutenant to a bafoon like Slowik? That's an insult......

regardless if they fire him they still have to pay him for the balance of his contract.. Unless they have an assclown clause in it..

lex
10-15-2008, 11:27 PM
regardless if they fire him they still have to pay him for the balance of his contract.. Unless they have an assclown clause in it..

I dont really think theyre paying him that much...which I think is partly why the defensive scheming looks like garbage. Remember all the belt tightening done this past offseason? Plus I wonder what we're on the hook for with Bates. But as far as Slowik is concerned, I really doubt he is making that much...or at least I hope not. And this is all relative mind you.

Lonestar
10-15-2008, 11:33 PM
I dont really think theyre paying him that much...which I think is partly why the defensive scheming looks like garbage. Remember all the belt tightening done this past offseason? Plus I wonder what we're on the hook for with Bates. But as far as Slowik is concerned, I really doubt he is making that much...or at least I hope not. And this is all relative mind you.

whatever he is making is irrelevant.. even though the common adage is "you pay for what you get.." certainly is ion play here the comment I based my opinion is he would be better to be coaching DB opposed to being fired..

If he is happy with the amount he is making, its continuation is therefore OK..

If they have to pay him if they fire him, why should he work at all?..

If the money is the same take the time off to learn new scheme and when the contract is over try and find another sucker to hire him.. When the stench of this season goes away..

lex
10-16-2008, 06:59 AM
whatever he is making is irrelevant.. even though the common adage is "you pay for what you get.." certainly is ion play here the comment I based my opinion is he would be better to be coaching DB opposed to being fired..

If he is happy with the amount he is making, its continuation is therefore OK..

If they have to pay him if they fire him, why should he work at all?..

If the money is the same take the time off to learn new scheme and when the contract is over try and find another sucker to hire him.. When the stench of this season goes away..

you mentioned the balance of his contract which I said shouldnt be significant enough to discourage them from getting rid of him.

Lonestar
10-16-2008, 09:22 AM
you mentioned the balance of his contract which I said shouldn't be significant enough to discourage them from getting rid of him.

IMHO regardless of how much he is making it should not matter..

Unless this D turns around FAST he is toast and frankly I do not see it turning around with the existing players ..

They would have to become top 10 performers for the rest of the year to not justify him getting the ax..

But then of course he is mikeys hand picked guy for the spot so can mikey pull the plug on him without losing face.. OR is he the planned scape goat..

lex
10-16-2008, 11:08 AM
IMHO regardless of how much he is making it should not matter..

Unless this D turns around FAST he is toast and frankly I do not see it turning around with the existing players ..

They would have to become top 10 performers for the rest of the year to not justify him getting the ax..

But then of course he is mikeys hand picked guy for the spot so can mikey pull the plug on him without losing face.. OR is he the planned scape goat..

I dont really think he would be the scapegoat. The guy sucks. Scapegoating kind of implies incorrectly placing blame to deflect where it really belongs. In this case Slowik sucks. Getting rid of him would just be an affirmation of the obvious, which is he isnt getting it done nor is there a reason to expect he ever will. If there was ever a person who was scapegoated it was Bates or Coyer although not really. Bates was brought in for his system and then Shanahan lost patience with it and gave the keys to Slowik. I dont think Shanahan really blamed Bates for having a bad defense...its just he realized he didnt have the patience to take the losing while waiting for the defense to come around. But Im not really sure what Bates did wrong other than not make it work right away. But Slowik was the beneficiary of Shanahans lack of patience and also to some degree, winning favor with Champ Bailey.

LRtagger
10-20-2008, 08:59 PM
bumping this up so it will be easy for me to find tomorrow

atwater27
10-20-2008, 09:07 PM
Fire all the coaches. I'm done. I loved and defended Shanahan for years, but his inability to draft and instill a decent defense has finally broken my trust in him. We need a new direction.

Den21vsBal19
10-20-2008, 09:08 PM
Slowik shouldn't even get on the plane home :sad:

Medford Bronco
10-20-2008, 09:10 PM
Slowik shouldn't even get on the plane home :sad:

In Slowiks defense we are too small and getting gouged tonight.

come on Sammie Freaking Morris looks like the 2nd coming of Barry sanders tonight :mad:

MOtorboat
10-20-2008, 09:12 PM
In Slowiks defense we are too small and getting gouged tonight.

come on Sammie Freaking Morris looks like the 2nd coming of Barry sanders tonight :mad:

I'd say more Emmitt Smith...a little more straight forward running.

UnderArmour
10-20-2008, 09:13 PM
Fire Slowik and hire Mike Nolan right now.

Medford Bronco
10-20-2008, 09:13 PM

lol I was being a wiseass MB

but you are correct

dogfish
10-20-2008, 09:15 PM

i'm leaning more towards jim brown. . . .

:frusty: