PDA

View Full Version : Nolan studied Steelers' 3-4 "D" to help Broncos

Denver Native (Carol)
11-07-2009, 10:08 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13733855

After the San Francisco 49ers fired Mike Nolan last year, he had time to study teams around the league and decide what he would bring to his next job.

One of the units that got a long look from the current Broncos defensive coordinator was the 3-4 scheme of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

"I watched Pittsburgh a pretty good amount," Nolan said. "They were an outstanding defense last year and they've been (that way) for a long time. . . . I still watch their film quite frequently to see what they're doing against an opponent because it serves us very well."

While the 3-4 defense Nolan and coach Josh McDaniels have put together for the Broncos is a slightly different version than the Steelers', he can still pick up valuable information.

McDaniels said that Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, 72, puts wrinkles into his scheme that few coaches do.

"He does some things with his defense you don't see from everybody else," McDaniels said. "Doesn't seem like the defense has changed very much over the years, it just keeps getting better at what they're doing. That's what frustrates you, because you look at it and you say it's not any different than it was two years ago, but why can't we do this, why can't we do that — that's because they got good players and they are very well- coached."

Smith ready.

Defensive lineman Le Kevin Smith will get his first start of the season Monday with Ryan McBean unable to play because of a knee injury. McBean was injured in the final minutes of the Broncos' loss in Baltimore last Sunday and has not practiced this week.

McBean has started all seven of the Broncos' games thus far. Smith was acquired from the Patriots in a trade during training camp.

"We brought him here from New England for a reason," Broncos defensive line coach Wayne Nunnely said. "He's a good football player, and now he'll get a chance to start and get a chance to play a lot more than he has in the first seven games.

"You always look forward to those kinds of things."

Taking precautions.

McDaniels said team meetings can sound like an orchestra of sniffles and coughs these days, but added the team continues to try to keep the various flu strains at bay even as teams around the league are sending players home virtually every day.

Cornerback Jack Williams was held out of drills one day this week because of illness.

"We've had some players who've been sick," McDaniels said. "We've been OK in terms of handling that whole process. We think right now we're fine, but in the last couple weeks we've had a guy here and there."

Footnotes.

In addition to McBean, right tackle Ryan Harris (toes) was held out of Friday's practice while safety Josh Barrett (hamstring) participated on a limited basis after being held out Wednesday and Thursday. Running back Peyton Hillis was excused from practiced Friday. . . . For the Steelers, Highlands Ranch native Travis Kirschke (left calf) and linebacker Lawrence Timmons (ankle) did not participate in Friday's practice. Kirschke will not play against the Broncos and Timmons will have to improve significantly to play.

gobroncsnv
11-07-2009, 10:59 AM
I LOVE what Nolan has brought to this team... we have intensity, TACKLING, pressure, run-stopping, just SO much better than we have been in YEARS on that side of the ball... You could do worse than to try to model after the Steelers, for sure.

And while we're on D Coordinators, has anybody noticed what Coyer has going on in Indy???

SoCalImport
11-07-2009, 11:12 AM
I'm pretty sure all Broncos fans are jazzed about Nolan and what he's brought to the Broncos.
that being said, my first thought before viewing the thread was.
"He'd better damn well be studying the Steelers D"

Honestly, with a nod to NE does any team do it better than Pittsburgh? (to my knowledge) They have run the 3/4 D longer and better than anyone in the NFL.