PDA

View Full Version : DP- Buckhalter should start over Moreno

broncofaninfla
11-07-2009, 09:15 AM
Kiszla: Broncos make mistake with Moreno over Buckhalter
By Mark Kiszla
The Denver Post
POSTED: 11/06/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

The Broncos need more touchdowns and fewer excuses. Where to begin? That's easy.

Start veteran Correll Buckhalter at running back.

Bench prized draft choice Knowshon Moreno.

This is the time to make the upgrade, with a Steel Curtain dead ahead for the Broncos. The Pittsburgh Steelers lay down an unforgiving law meant to intimidate foes: Don't even bother trying to run.

"They make everybody stop running the football," coach Josh McDaniels said Thursday.

So what can the Broncos do to fight the Steelers in a battle of wills? Put it all on the shoulders of quarterback Kyle Orton?

Something tells me Denver better come up with a Plan B.

Better give Buckhalter an increased role in the game plan.

In an offense averaging a modest 20 points per game, McDaniels has given Moreno 120 touches from scrimmage to 73 for Buckhalter, yet despite the disparity in workload both Denver players have gained an identical 484 total yards by running or catching the football.

If productivity counts for anything, then it seems to me Buckhalter deserves to be in the huddle nearly twice as much as Moreno.

"We let them play, and we feel good about our backs. No matter who's in the game, we think they're capable people," McDaniels said.

Here's the problem: Know-shon doesn't know all the tricks of the NFL trade, and what the rookie doesn't know is hurting the Broncos.

Don't get me wrong. Despite all the caterwauling when Denver used the 12th choice in the first round on Moreno, taking the 5-foot-11, 210-pound runner out of Georgia was the right thing to do. Playing him so much while Moreno learns on the job has been the mistake.

It's as if McDaniels is in a rush to prove wrong the doubters of his football acumen. Could it be ego is blinding McDaniels to the fact it's Buckhalter, not Moreno, who has been the most dangerous weapon in a Denver offense lacking in big shots?

Despite missing the New England game with an ankle injury, Buckhalter leads the Broncos with five gains of more than 20 yards.

After salary negotiations and a banged-up knee cost Moreno valuable time on the field during his first NFL training camp, his apprenticeship has been done with victory and defeat on the line. The 420 yards gained rushing speak loudly to Moreno's natural talent. Nevertheless . . .

Whether smashing into the pile on third down or fumbling the football in a crash, there are too many times when his rookie anxiety shows and Moreno treats this sport like demolition derby.

It's not the speed of the game that's killing Moreno. It's failure to trust his instincts to slow down the action. Moreno is so obsessed with picking up the tough yards he doesn't give himself a chance to take a play to the house. Maybe that's why his longest run in 109 attempts for Denver is 17 yards.

What Moreno must learn to break big plays is the same trait McDaniels needs to employ in the development of his prized rookie running back: patience.

"Patience is not getting the ball and going 100 mph. In this league, the majority of the time, if you're going 1,000 mph from the time you touch the ball, you're not going to make a good read," said Buckhalter, whose 6.0 yards per carry this season ranks second in the NFL behind the superb 6.9 per attempt by Chris Johnson of Tennessee.

"When I say have patience, I don't mean running the ball at 50 percent speed," Buckhalter added. "But you start out at maybe 70 percent. Then, when you find the crease, you see the opening and that's when you turn it on. Slow to the hole. Fast through the hole."

Buckhalter started four consecutive times to open the season, then got injured, which allowed McDaniels to give the No. 1 running back job to Moreno, and Denver's rushing production has gone on a slow, steady decline.

It's OK for Moreno to be in the game. The Broncos, however, need Buckhalter to make more plays to win the game.

Buckhalter told me he is confident Moreno will develop the patience necessary to exploit NFL defenses, but the talent won't appear overnight, and it might take a whole season of hard knocks for his rookie teammate to master the counterintuitive principle that getting ahead in this league sometimes requires slowing down the racing brain inside your helmet.

A commitment to the running game needs to be made by Denver.

Is the Broncos' No. 1 priority to let Moreno learn by trial and error, or ride the back of Buckhalter to the playoffs?

Nomad
11-07-2009, 09:29 AM
This is a no brainer!

silkamilkamonico
11-07-2009, 10:30 AM
I like Moreno. He reminds me a lot of Curtis Martin for the Jets. And perhaps this idiot writer doesn't understand that Buckhalter really has been injured and still trying to get his feet back. Hence, the "mistake" of forcing Moreno into the lineup.

broncofaninfla
11-07-2009, 04:38 PM
Buck gives us our best chance of winning right now. I'm all for sharing the load BUT Buck should be getting the ball in his hands more than Moreno.

JONtheBRONCO
11-07-2009, 07:28 PM
Buck needs to start. Not even a question. But Moreno must see 12-15 touches.

HORSEPOWER 56
11-07-2009, 08:59 PM
Whatever. :rolleyes: Kiszla loves throwing out those numbers but lets remember that Buck was hurt. In the meantime, Moreno has 4X the TDs that Buck has. Buck doesn't run any harder than Moreno does. Buck is shifty and has more experience than Moreno does, but he's not "better".

As it is, I'm surprised he's gotten this far without ending up on IR. You want him to carry the load? Stand by for the injuries to start mounting.

red98
11-07-2009, 11:10 PM
Buck gives us our best chance of winning right now. I'm all for sharing the load BUT Buck should be getting the ball in his hands more than Moreno.

Buck's done some good things. I'm more inclined to thinking we have to feed the hot hand. Seems like we switch it up just to switch it up a lot.

I'd like to see one of them establish a rhythm and feel out the game, then switch it up in the 4th quater.

Not likely to happen this week though.

WARHORSE
11-08-2009, 01:50 AM
Kiszla: Broncos make mistake with Moreno over Buckhalter
By Mark Kiszla
The Denver Post
POSTED: 11/06/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

The Broncos need more touchdowns and fewer excuses. Where to begin? That's easy.

Start veteran Correll Buckhalter at running back.

Bench prized draft choice Knowshon Moreno.

This is the time to make the upgrade, with a Steel Curtain dead ahead for the Broncos. The Pittsburgh Steelers lay down an unforgiving law meant to intimidate foes: Don't even bother trying to run.

"They make everybody stop running the football," coach Josh McDaniels said Thursday.

So what can the Broncos do to fight the Steelers in a battle of wills? Put it all on the shoulders of quarterback Kyle Orton?

Something tells me Denver better come up with a Plan B.

Better give Buckhalter an increased role in the game plan.

In an offense averaging a modest 20 points per game, McDaniels has given Moreno 120 touches from scrimmage to 73 for Buckhalter, yet despite the disparity in workload both Denver players have gained an identical 484 total yards by running or catching the football.

If productivity counts for anything, then it seems to me Buckhalter deserves to be in the huddle nearly twice as much as Moreno.

"We let them play, and we feel good about our backs. No matter who's in the game, we think they're capable people," McDaniels said.

Here's the problem: Know-shon doesn't know all the tricks of the NFL trade, and what the rookie doesn't know is hurting the Broncos.

Don't get me wrong. Despite all the caterwauling when Denver used the 12th choice in the first round on Moreno, taking the 5-foot-11, 210-pound runner out of Georgia was the right thing to do. Playing him so much while Moreno learns on the job has been the mistake.

It's as if McDaniels is in a rush to prove wrong the doubters of his football acumen. Could it be ego is blinding McDaniels to the fact it's Buckhalter, not Moreno, who has been the most dangerous weapon in a Denver offense lacking in big shots?

Despite missing the New England game with an ankle injury, Buckhalter leads the Broncos with five gains of more than 20 yards.

After salary negotiations and a banged-up knee cost Moreno valuable time on the field during his first NFL training camp, his apprenticeship has been done with victory and defeat on the line. The 420 yards gained rushing speak loudly to Moreno's natural talent. Nevertheless . . .

Whether smashing into the pile on third down or fumbling the football in a crash, there are too many times when his rookie anxiety shows and Moreno treats this sport like demolition derby.

It's not the speed of the game that's killing Moreno. It's failure to trust his instincts to slow down the action. Moreno is so obsessed with picking up the tough yards he doesn't give himself a chance to take a play to the house. Maybe that's why his longest run in 109 attempts for Denver is 17 yards.

What Moreno must learn to break big plays is the same trait McDaniels needs to employ in the development of his prized rookie running back: patience.

"Patience is not getting the ball and going 100 mph. In this league, the majority of the time, if you're going 1,000 mph from the time you touch the ball, you're not going to make a good read," said Buckhalter, whose 6.0 yards per carry this season ranks second in the NFL behind the superb 6.9 per attempt by Chris Johnson of Tennessee.

"When I say have patience, I don't mean running the ball at 50 percent speed," Buckhalter added. "But you start out at maybe 70 percent. Then, when you find the crease, you see the opening and that's when you turn it on. Slow to the hole. Fast through the hole."

Buckhalter started four consecutive times to open the season, then got injured, which allowed McDaniels to give the No. 1 running back job to Moreno, and Denver's rushing production has gone on a slow, steady decline.

It's OK for Moreno to be in the game. The Broncos, however, need Buckhalter to make more plays to win the game.

Buckhalter told me he is confident Moreno will develop the patience necessary to exploit NFL defenses, but the talent won't appear overnight, and it might take a whole season of hard knocks for his rookie teammate to master the counterintuitive principle that getting ahead in this league sometimes requires slowing down the racing brain inside your helmet.

A commitment to the running game needs to be made by Denver.

Is the Broncos' No. 1 priority to let Moreno learn by trial and error, or ride the back of Buckhalter to the playoffs?

Man...........theres an echo in here.:coffee:

Tned
11-08-2009, 01:54 AM
Buck's done some good things. I'm more inclined to thinking we have to feed the hot hand. Seems like we switch it up just to switch it up a lot.

I'd like to see one of them establish a rhythm and feel out the game, then switch it up in the 4th quater.

Not likely to happen this week though.

It seems that McDaniels has been trying to give Moreno the majority of work, to give him experience and move him towards the dominant back that many think he will become.

However, when you look at a 6-1 start and 2 game lead in the division, it seems you need to focus on winning this season, not the future. It's hard to argue that Moreno should get more carries than Buckhalter, considering how well Buckhalter has run the ball.

I said after the first game, that I was very surprised at his burst and how quickly he can pick up 5-10 yards. I had only seen him a few times in Philly, and didn't appreciate the burst he has.

He has a gaudy YPC average, and it seems like they need to feed him the ball more.

Superchop 7
11-09-2009, 11:36 AM
I would rather see them play Moreno in the 2nd half.

They are putting way too much on the plate for the rookie.

weazel
11-09-2009, 01:39 PM
they should be starting whichever RB can block the best. With Harris out and the Broncos playing the Steel, they are not going to have much of a running game either way. With the way Pitt blitzes on almost every single play, we need the best blocker in there. Neither Moreno or Buckhalter has shown great blocking skills...

How is Jordan at blocking?

Medford Bronco
11-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Whatever. :rolleyes: Kiszla loves throwing out those numbers but lets remember that Buck was hurt. In the meantime, Moreno has 4X the TDs that Buck has. Buck doesn't run any harder than Moreno does. Buck is shifty and has more experience than Moreno does, but he's not "better".

As it is, I'm surprised he's gotten this far without ending up on IR. You want him to carry the load? Stand by for the injuries to start mounting.

he is better at not fumbling though.
turnovers are a killer, esp vs good teams like balt and pitt

Medford Bronco
11-09-2009, 01:52 PM
It seems that McDaniels has been trying to give Moreno the majority of work, to give him experience and move him towards the dominant back that many think he will become.

However, when you look at a 6-1 start and 2 game lead in the division, it seems you need to focus on winning this season, not the future. It's hard to argue that Moreno should get more carries than Buckhalter, considering how well Buckhalter has run the ball.

I said after the first game, that I was very surprised at his burst and how quickly he can pick up 5-10 yards. I had only seen him a few times in Philly, and didn't appreciate the burst he has.

He has a gaudy YPC average, and it seems like they need to feed him the ball more.

Good post and agreed. He does not put it on the ground as well like Moreno does so far as a rook

honz
11-09-2009, 04:56 PM
Moreno > Bucky

HORSEPOWER 56
11-09-2009, 06:20 PM
he is better at not fumbling though.
turnovers are a killer, esp vs good teams like balt and pitt

Maybe, or maybe it's just because he has half the carries? Moreno never had a fumbling problem in college. He's pushing too hard to try to "make a play" instead of just using his insticts. What I'm saying is, Bucky ran up a lot of YPC against bad defenses like Cleveland and Jokeland. Look how good he did vs Baltimore...

Moreno has been pounding it and taking shots from Dallas, NE, and SD in Bucky's absence. Let bucky start - tonight vs Pittsburgh - I can tell you now he won't have any more success.

Slick
11-09-2009, 06:28 PM
The Baltimore game was an abomination for the whole team, so I'm throwing that one out.:D

Moreno is a much better pass blocker than Buckhalter so he gives a little more versatility in the play calling when he's in. Correll should get as many carries as we can afford to give him though. He's shown that he produces in this offense.

dogfish
11-09-2009, 07:57 PM
buckhalter has NEVER shown any indication at all, whatsoever, that he can be an effective fulltime starter or handle anything close to that kind of workload. . . he's a guy who has never once reached the 150-carry mark in an NFL season, and still suffered several major injuries along with a number of smaller ones-- he missed three entire seasons out of the eight full years he's had in the league, and has appeared in all 16 games just once. . . dude hasn't had a hundred carries in a year since 2003, and at age 31 you want him to suddenly morph into a workhorse? that's on a par with most of kiszla's "thinking". . . .

silkamilkamonico
11-09-2009, 09:52 PM
Well, I know he's young, and he's looked good at times, but I am completely not impressed with Knowshon Moreno.

If he's a first round talent, than so are 75% of the other starting RB's in the NFl this year.

skycoyote
11-09-2009, 09:54 PM
Agreed. Beanie Wells would have been a better power runner. Knowgain Morono reminds me of Gerald Wilhite, he keeps tripping over the hash mark.

HORSEPOWER 56
11-09-2009, 11:42 PM
Man Buckhalter looked great tonight, didn't he? Ah well, it wasn't his fault that the line couldn't open any holes and when they did he ran right into the teeth of the defense.

Dean
11-09-2009, 11:45 PM
I wonder if Hillis is looking better in the eyes of the coaching staff right about now.

honz
11-09-2009, 11:47 PM
Is PJ Pope available?

HORSEPOWER 56
11-09-2009, 11:49 PM
I wonder if Hillis is looking better in the eyes of the coaching staff right about now.

it wouldn't have mattered if we'd had Adrian Peterson or TD in his prime, the rushing outcome would've been the same. When you consistently run out of passing formations (single back no lead blocker), you're not going to be successful. That college spread offense crap that McD is trying to do only works if you have a QB that can threaten the defense with downfield passing that gets the defense out of the box and creates running lanes. You have to use the pass to setup the run. We can't do either, so neither works.