PDA

View Full Version : The annual "My team got screwed, we need a playoff" complaint

MOtorboat
01-08-2008, 01:39 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3186232

Georgia president: Schools need to regain control of postseason

The president of the University of Georgia is calling for an eight-team playoff system for college football's top division, saying the Bowl Championship Series -- which left Georgia out of its championship game -- has become a "beauty contest largely stage-managed by the networks."

In a public statement and a letter to NCAA president Myles Brand, Georgia president Michael F. Adams, who is also chairman of the NCAA executive committee, called for an eight-team playoff to decide the national championship, with the opening rounds to be played in the four major BCS bowl games. He proposed the change be made as soon as the contracts that govern the BCS expire.

Adams was scheduled to hold a news conference Tuesday afternoon to discuss the proposal. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution first reported that Adams would support a playoff.

"This year's experience with the BCS forces me to the conclusion that the current system has lost public confidence and simply does not work," Adams said in news release. "It is undercutting the sportsmanship and integrity of the game."

Georgia did not win its division of the Southeastern Conference and did not play in that league's title game, but was widely regarded as one of the best teams in the nation as the college football season closed. The Bulldogs went to the Sugar Bowl instead of the BCS Championship Game, where some beleived the team belonged.

Adams did not directly address that outcome in his letter or his statement. But he did claim that the BCS system suffered from built-in conflicts of interest involving the major sports conferences and the television networks.

Under his proposal, the schedule would return to 11 games from its current 12, with playoffs beginning at the major bowl games and extending two more Saturdays.

Under his proposal, a selection committee would seed eight teams to the four major bowls.

"If one of those bowls chooses not to participate, another game could be found to fill the void," he said.

Adams is the second SEC member president to advocate a playoff in the past year. Last year, University of Florida president James Bernard Machen -- whose Gators played in the BCS Championship Game and won the title -- said the time had come for a playoff system, but backed down from his position after conferring with his fellow SEC presidents.

Adams acknowledged that he has long opposed a playoff system, largely for academic reasons and because the season is already too long. However, he said in his letter to Brand that he was "troubled about the commercial influence over how the college football season is played out." He said it is time for the NCAA's member institutions to regain control over the college football postseason -- control he said is now concentrated in the hands of the television networks, the major conferences and the bowl commissioners.

"The television networks ... have grown too powerful in deciding who plays and when they play, and indeed, whom they hire to coach," Adams wrote in his letter to Brand. "The Bowl Championship Series has become a beauty contest largely stage-managed by the networks, which in turn protect the interests of their own partner conferences.

"The situation may not quite rise to the level of collusion, but it leaves an air of dissatisfaction with the fans of most institutions, even as they celebrate successful seasons," Adams wrote to Brand. "I believe the time has come for the NCAA to take control of the college football postseason, and in so doing to create a system that our players, coaches, friends and fans can support and appreciate."

"Colleges need to regain ownership of their football teams," Adams added in his letter to Brand. "While much has been made of the unique nature of the Football Bowl Subdivision [formerly Division I-A], the fact is that the networks and conferences exercise much more control over the football teams at this level then the institutions that sponsor them. Reorienting the national football championship is an important step in managing a model that benefits students, institutions and our constituents."

Adams said he would regret the football season extending into the spring semester, but noted that only four teams would be involved and before most schools return from the winter holiday break.

On Monday, Atlantic Coast Conference Commissioner John Swofford and SEC Commissioner Mike Slive said the ACC, SEC, Big East and Big 12 are open to a "plus-one" Final Four format in which the top four teams would be selected and seeded.

"In our conference, there's much more open-mindedness about the plus-one than there was two years ago. There's an interest in it ... and a willingness to discuss it in full," Swofford said.

The BCS is in the second of a four-year, $320 million contract with Fox that runs through the 2009 season and 2010 bowls. The BCS will begin negotiating with Fox on another deal in the fall. Fox has exclusive negotiating rights with the BCS.

The Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-AA), Division II and Division III all have a postseason playoff.

NightTrainLayne
01-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Well, I'm glad someone is starting to step up and request a playoff. This should open the door some for other Presidents to also join him. Obviously, Georgia didn't do enough in the regular season to earn a spot in either the SEC or the National title game, but who knows what kind of damage they would have done in a playoff.

Good news.

MOtorboat
01-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Well, I'm glad someone is starting to step up and request a playoff. This should open the door some for other Presidents to also join him. Obviously, Georgia didn't do enough in the regular season to earn a spot in either the SEC or the National title game, but who knows what kind of damage they would have done in a playoff.

Good news.

Last year it was Florida's president after they won the National Title. Three years ago it was Tommy Tuberville and Auburn's President...

Apparently, the two conferences that balk are the Pac-10 and the Big 10, which isn't really ironic since the Big 10 gets their ass handed to them every year in the Championship game, because their team gets in on hype and name and not ability, but yeah, something like that...

BigDaddyBronco
01-08-2008, 03:05 PM
I really thought Utah got screwed a few years ago when it went undefeated and almost didn't get a BCS Bowl bid. I really think the second tier conferences don't get much of a chance.

Hawaii didn't help the cause this year though.

I would like to see a 16 team playoff with all of the conferences getting a shot, but that will never happen as the BCS conferences don't want to share the money.

NightTrainLayne
01-08-2008, 03:07 PM
I really thought Utah got screwed a few years ago when it went undefeated and almost didn't get a BCS Bowl bid. I really think the second tier conferences don't get much of a chance.

Hawaii didn't help the cause this year though.

I would like to see a 16 team playoff with all of the conferences getting a shot, but that will never happen as the BCS conferences don't want to share the money.

Why should they want to share the money? They are the one's largely responsible for it. They pay the big bucks for the Coach's, and facilities to build these teams.

BigDaddyBronco
01-08-2008, 03:15 PM
Why should they want to share the money? They are the one's largely responsible for it. They pay the big bucks for the Coach's, and facilities to build these teams.

Baylor shares the Big-12's money.
Northwestern shares the Big-10's money.
Wash St. shares the PAC-10's money.

None of these guys have facilities or coaches any better than most of the high level Mtn West or Big East programs.

MOtorboat
01-08-2008, 03:16 PM

None of these guys have facilities or coaches any better than most of the high level Mtn West or Big East programs.

And Baylor has almost been kicked out more than once...

Broncolingus
01-08-2008, 03:16 PM
A +1 would work fine as a first step to fixing these fiasco's AND keep the $$$ greedy old-timers happy...there's no reason they couldn't at least give it a try for 5-years or so to 'evaluate.'

NightTrainLayne
01-08-2008, 03:19 PM

And Baylor doesn't play in the BCS bowls. . .or Northwestern. . .What did Washington State play once in the rose bowl since the BCS? They are part of the conference and as such share some of the money, but there is a level of performance expected in these conferences and at least as far as Baylor goes, they are pushing their luck. I wouldn't be surprised to see Baylor replaced at some point in the Big 12 if they don't improve their act, although that would still be a ways down the road.

BigDaddyBronco
01-08-2008, 03:21 PM
Well, Utah and Boise St. haved proved that the smaller conferences can play with the big boys if they are good and get a chance.

College basketball is a vastly superior system.

jhns
01-09-2008, 02:06 PM
I agree with the thread title. Nebraska got screwed and would have won it all if there was a playoff system! :cool:

Rex
01-09-2008, 02:51 PM
A 1+ might be a start, but not the answer.

I would put Missouri, Kansas, and USC against anyone. Automatically putting Georgia in the 1+ because they throttled a mediocre Hawaii team is not fair to the others.

How about they just make the SEC Championship game the NC game and the rest of the bowls can be for the other loser conferences that cant really compete with the SEC ?

Rex
01-09-2008, 04:09 PM
BTW.....if you lose to PITTSBURGH...you shouldnt be in a BCS bowl. Period.

BroncoWave
01-10-2008, 11:07 PM
BTW.....if you lose to PITTSBURGH...you shouldnt be in a BCS bowl. Period.

Um, they won their conference. And using your logic, USC shouldn't have played in a BCS bowl either since they lost to Stanford. See how silly you sound now?

Watchthemiddle
01-10-2008, 11:48 PM

Good news.

Exactly. Atleast play in your own Conference and maybe win it before crying about being screwed and needing a playoff.

However, a playoff would be awesome. I hate all this non-sense about a playoff system getting in the way of academics. Well, last I checked March Madness doesn't get in the way of academics. And there is a good 5 weeks from the last regular season football game until the bowls. It could fill that void, and once the playoffs are done, have 1 and 2 play for the championship in a bowl. 3 and 4 in a bowl, and so one. They would make even MORE money with a playoffs then bowl game but can't seem to figure that one out. :rolleyes:

LoyalSoldier
02-09-2008, 02:26 AM
I generally hate the bowl system. I don't like the idea of some fat overpaid idiot half way across the country saying if a team can play for the title or not.

I mean the NFL just proved something this year when the only 18-0 team in history lost! Football should be played on the field and not on paper.

Watchthemiddle
02-09-2008, 02:54 AM
I generally hate the bowl system. I don't like the idea of some fat overpaid idiot half way across the country saying if a team can play for the title or not.

I mean the NFL just proved something this year when the only 18-0 team in history lost! Football should be played on the field and not on paper.

:congrats:

Agree 100%