PDA

View Full Version : The Importance Of John Lynch

TheSportsGuru
01-08-2008, 01:20 PM
Just what does John Lynch mean to the Denver Broncos? How effective was he this past season?

That's exactly what the guys over at MileHighReport.com are looking to figure out.

Check out Part 1 of the series --

http://www.milehighreport.com/story/2008/1/8/11033/81373

Crush05
01-08-2008, 01:22 PM
great read cannot wait for the rest!!!

G_Money
01-08-2008, 01:34 PM
Nice historical article with some good positional breakdowns.

But what did Lynch mean to the team this last year?

Lynch was the emotional leader of the defense. He's the respected veteran, the voice in the locker room, the guy who everybody looks to to set the tone for the defense.

It's not Champ, and it's not DJ - it's Lynch.

He's also the guy who missed several games with injuries, was our 4th LB in the box to help (futilely) defend the run, had to come off the field in passing situations and is one step away from retirement.

We really boned the horse by not drafting a safety last year to learn from John while he was still around to teach. Maybe he comes back for one more year, and we'll get a safety in here who can pick the brain of one of the best to ever play his position.

I hope so.

But I'm not counting on it.

~G

TheSportsGuru
01-08-2008, 01:39 PM
That is coming up in the next parts of the story.

I think there can be a general misconception of his position and that is where we started....

G_Money
01-08-2008, 02:02 PM
True, and thanks for the detailed rundown on the safety position.

The fun part is the position is still evolving. Many teams are trying to get away from the "FS can cover but not support the run, SS supports the run but can't pass defend" mentality where they can. You're seeing smaller, hard-hitting, fast safeties at both positions now - with good hands if you can get em.

If they're big, hard-hitting and fast like Landry, all the better.

I'm not sure if the position Lynch played is gonna be played like that in 5-10 years on most teams. But I know that people are remembering that the safety position(s) exists now, and players like Bob Sanders are proving it's still a position of impact.

Lynch has to be proud to see that.

~G

sanluis
01-08-2008, 02:10 PM
John Lynch was a great pick up. When he was used correctly he was very effective. He still might be effective if Bates or whoever uses him correctly.

John's leadership skills are even more important to a young D. Champ is also a good leader put not quite as well spoken as John IMO. The loss of big Al Wilson and perhaps John would really put a big dent in the Teams leadership. John and Al had both been to the big show and commanded respect. These are two possible HOF players that are going to be missed! It will be very difficult for the team just like it was when Al Had to step aside.

Nice read by the way!

BOSSHOGG30
01-08-2008, 02:18 PM
Hopefully Abdullah and Roderick Rogers learned something from the guy.

MOtorboat
01-08-2008, 02:22 PM
Great write up by styg50 and Hoosierteacher...that was awesome.

MOtorboat
01-08-2008, 02:37 PM
Are you feeling okay? I'll give you a chance to edit and I will delete all evidence.

Frick...that was bad, wasn't it...

Lonestar
01-08-2008, 03:41 PM
a great read with concise details on the difference between the FS and SS..

I for one always saw the FS the way is was described and argued that John was more of an at the LOS SS type.

But for the most part played 4th LB most of the time due to a lack of quality DL personnel..