PDA

View Full Version : How crazy will this off-season be?

BOSSHOGG30
01-07-2008, 12:17 PM
I know every offseason is important, but I can't remember when Denver had so many questions going into the offseason concerning players.

Lepsis has already said he will retire
Will Lynch retire?
Will Nalen retire?
Will Hamilton retire?
Do you trade Walker or try and keep him?
Should Denver resign Foxworth and/or Paymah?
Do we bring back Henry (trade)(distraction)?

We could end up this offseason needing to fill:
Starting WR
Already need to fill starting LT
Starting RT
Starting C (I know Nalen and Hamilton didn't play most of the year!)

And this is just the Offense!

add these to us needing a starting DT!
Who will be our third LB besides Williams and Gold? And that is if we keep Gold.
Is Abdullah good enough to start and who will start opposite of him?
And do we really have what we need at defensive end with Moss, Crowder, Doom, and Engelberger?

Denver needs to get this offseason right or the next several years are going to be painful!

MHCBill
01-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Stay with the youth and let them develop.

We'll only be hurting ourselves to try and sign numerous free agents this year and next.

We're not use to it as Bronco fans, but we need to show patience. The idea of always shooting for the Super Bowl was inspirational and dynamic, but unfortunately we didn't make it and it will take some time to do so.

Patience, patience, patience.

2008 is not the year, shoot for 2009.

G_Money
01-07-2008, 12:51 PM
Don't just keep getting youth, though.

We will need some key FAs. Some guys who are leaders, or at least professional.

Henry = Not a leader and not professional
Walker = Not a leader and not professional
Graham = not a leader
Holland = not a leader
Bly = not much of a leader

Smith = leader and professional, probably retiring
Lynch = leader and professional, probably retiring
Nalen = leader and professional, probably retiring
Lepsis = professional, retiring
Hamiltion = professional, question marks about health

I'd like a guy like Faneca or Gross to shore up some of those professionalism/leadership issues on the O line. Stokley helps with the professionalism at WR, so his being back is good, provided he can stay healthy.

I don't see a real leader-type available on D, and Champ is more of the consummate pro than a fiery leader, so I'm hoping we draft one instead. There are several LBs available who are used to being the leaders of their squads, so we need to get a young Junior Seau/Al Wilson/whatever in here and let his leadership develop.

Another Lynch would be okay too - those are easy to find, I'm sure... </sarcasm>

~G

Italianmobstr7
01-07-2008, 01:00 PM
Don't just keep getting youth, though.

We will need some key FAs. Some guys who are leaders, or at least professional.

Henry = Not a leader and not professional
Walker = Not a leader and not professional
Graham = not a leader
Holland = not a leader
Bly = not much of a leader

Smith = leader and professional, probably retiring
Lynch = leader and professional, probably retiring
Nalen = leader and professional, probably retiring
Lepsis = professional, retiring
Hamiltion = professional, question marks about health

I'd like a guy like Faneca or Gross to shore up some of those professionalism/leadership issues on the O line. Stokley helps with the professionalism at WR, so his being back is good, provided he can stay healthy.

I don't see a real leader-type available on D, and Champ is more of the consummate pro than a fiery leader, so I'm hoping we draft one instead. There are several LBs available who are used to being the leaders of their squads, so we need to get a young Junior Seau/Al Wilson/whatever in here and let his leadership develop.

Another Lynch would be okay too - those are easy to find, I'm sure... </sarcasm>

~G

Dan Connor/Rey Maluga/Keith Rivers

MHCBill
01-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Agreed G, but... most rookies take a few years to become leaders.

I don't mind signing a free agent or two, but who and for how much? Plus, depending on what position you sign won't that be counter-productive to a younger guy's development?

What position is worth the free agent money for a position we need improvement?

Bronco9798
01-07-2008, 01:06 PM
A few tweeks and a little shuffling around. You can't just blow everything up and start over. Guys currently on the roster just have to step up and play football. I don't think the FA market is all that strong on positions we need. There's some names out there, but once guys start re-signing and the tags are put out, you're not going to find that many big named quality players available.

There will be some "depth" guys, but nothing really earth-shattering. You have to keep the youth going and keep have a superb draft, hoping to find some sleeper late rounders that make some what of a contribution next year. Throw in a few FA's and hope people come to camp ready to compete.

I think Gold gets released, Winborne takes his spot, you keep DJ and Webster where they are and I'm sure Lynch will be back with Abdullah at the safety positions. You have Dre and Champ. Now, you have to shore up that D Line and make a few FA signings there. Even if you don't, you have to go with Ekuban, Doom, Moss, Thomas, Crowder, McKinley, and the other guys and hope they make strides this year in their development.

On offense, you have to upgrade the O line. I think Young, Henry, and Hall will compete for the RB position and you have Stokley, Marshall, and who knows about Javon. If he goes, you have a need there. Only problem is the WR FA markrt, in my opinion, is very risky. At TE, with Sheff, Graham, Jackson ,and Mustard, we're set there if we need to be.

So really, you need help on both sides of the ball on the Lines, maybe a safety and a WR. Not a huge chore, but something that needs addressed.

BOSSHOGG30
01-07-2008, 01:07 PM
When drafting I like the idea of drafting team leaders and team captians, the odds they will grow into good leaders are better than if you draft someone who wasn't viewed as a leader on the college team he played for before he came into the NFL.

Italianmobstr7
01-07-2008, 01:16 PM
A few tweeks and a little shuffling around. You can't just blow everything up and start over. Guys currently on the roster just have to step up and play football. I don't think the FA market is all that strong on positions we need. There's some names out there, but once guys start re-signing and the tags are put out, you're not going to find that many big named quality players available.

There will be some "depth" guys, but nothing really earth-shattering. You have to keep the youth going and keep have a superb draft, hoping to find some sleeper late rounders that make some what of a contribution next year. Throw in a few FA's and hope people come to camp ready to compete.

I think Gold gets released, Winborne takes his spot, you keep DJ and Webster where they are and I'm sure Lynch will be back with Abdullah at the safety positions. You have Dre and Champ. Now, you have to shore up that D Line and make a few FA signings there. Even if you don't, you have to go with Ekuban, Doom, Moss, Thomas, Crowder, McKinley, and the other guys and hope they make strides this year in their development.

On offense, you have to upgrade the O line. I think Young, Henry, and Hall will compete for the RB position and you have Stokley, Marshall, and who knows about Javon. If he goes, you have a need there. Only problem is the WR FA markrt, in my opinion, is very risky. At TE, with Sheff, Graham, Jackson ,and Mustard, we're set there if we need to be.

So really, you need help on both sides of the ball on the Lines, maybe a safety and a WR. Not a huge chore, but something that needs addressed.

:amen:

the message entered is too short

Skinny
01-07-2008, 02:26 PM

~GWith all do respect G ... i disagree about having to find a leader on Defense ... we have one at the LB position in DJ Williams. This was his first full Season in that role with AL gone and his teamates have rallied around him, and, his leadership skills are developing.

Champ's comment on DJ taking on that role ('Williams finds his niche' article) ...
“He’s done great,” Broncos veteran cornerback Champ Bailey said. “We look at him as the leader of our defense and he’s taken that role step by step. Every day it grows, and I think he’s getting more and more comfortale with what he has to do on defense.”If fans are'nt going to give DJ time to develop leadership quality's/skills after being in the League for 4 years and just this Season assuming that role after AL's departure ... how long are fans willing to give a rookie ...

Fans may not beleive DJ is that guy, but as long as the guys in the huddle do ... that's all that matters ...

WARHORSE
01-07-2008, 02:56 PM
I also happen to think its a mix of players we need from FA as well as continuing to draft well.

Faneca is a guy I would like to see on our team. He is a leader with fire as well as his play, and hes still performing on a high level. Just click in some tape and you'll see. He will add a needed presence in the lockeroom, a Nails type.

I also think stronger guards has been a place we could improve, and believe our redzone running will improve as well if we address this area. This of course depends on Hamilton. Kuper, Faneca and Nails.......thats a vicious mindset in the middle of our line.......all three tooth and nails type players. Holland can backup, and Hamilton is the next center, taking over in a year or two for Nails..........perhaps this year.

I think we have our LT in Harris, the Broncos are talking well about him. Pears is a backup on the left side, but we still need another good Otackle.

I dont like the RB situation. Like Young, but not convinced he will make it through each game I watch him play. I would NOT go into the season without another good back added to the mix to compete.....like Barber, Jones or Turner.......someone of that ilk.

I want to draft well, but I also want to do well in FAgency.

What I love?

The fact that I know Denver will be doing everything they can.:beer:

BOSSHOGG30
01-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Jamaal Charles please
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgOdDkjUo1s

(sorry everyone, Every year on go on a runningback kick. I just think it is time to draft a runningback and give our beloved Broncos an idenity. I'm tired of not knowing who the guy will be the next year.)

Rick
01-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Portis is supposedly going to try and have his contract redone to avoid getting cut, I wouldn't mind seeing him get cut and come back for another go. Though with Henry here it isn't possible.

underrated29
01-07-2008, 03:15 PM
ok i can agree with most. I still dont like taking a rb though. I agree that we need a dominant horse, and one who is a starter for more than 1 year. But i think our other needs are greater and maybe, hopefully we can take one next year.

I dont think dan neil will retire either. I think he is here for at least one more go. eerr... i mean tom nalen..sorry, thinking about the good ol' days.

our young guys will defintiely develop into leaders. But i am concerend with the way the become them. The new young stars are a little undisciplined. We have to have atleast one rod type on offense who has a decent role. and we have to have another lynch type on defense who is a primary. Not saying dj is or isnt, just saying what we need.

On defense i would also like to see a mean nasty mutha f. One who will KILL anyone he can. And gets better the more and more he takes people out. A guy who thrives on being around the ball.

But for now lets fix the lines.

DenBronx
01-07-2008, 03:18 PM
i think if you guys thought last offseason was crazy, then buckle up because this offseason is about to get crazier.

Bronco9798
01-07-2008, 03:20 PM
I personally wouldn't want Portis back in Denver. I don't see Shanny even thinking about it.

DenBronx
01-07-2008, 03:22 PM
I personally wouldn't want Portis back in Denver. I don't see Shanny even thinking about it.

portis will never be a bronco again. even if shanahan is gone we would never bring him back.

Bronco9798
01-07-2008, 03:23 PM
portis will never be a bronco again. even if shanahan is gone we would never bring him back.

Oh I agree with you. He's constantly limping off the field and doesn't seem all that durable.

Rick
01-07-2008, 03:28 PM
I don't think he will ever be back again either, but I sure loved his game while he was here :) We haven't had that level of talent since he left.

But your right on the durability concerns.

BOSSHOGG30
01-07-2008, 03:31 PM
I wouldn't want Portis back for one reason... his salary. It is just plan crazy! He is a very good runningback, but we couldn't fit him in our cap.

CoachChaz
01-07-2008, 03:41 PM
Henry isn't going anywhere, so I really don't see them drafting another RB with Young and Hall as solid backups.
________
Gm Foods (http://gmfoods.info/)

yardog
01-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Henry isn't going anywhere, so I really don't see them drafting another RB with Young and Hall as solid backups.

Send Hoes over to his house and tell him not to leave until we get a failed test.

LRtagger
01-07-2008, 03:59 PM

Good... I would rather have a cheap Selvin than an expensive Portis anyways.

Against a defense that can put their front 4 into the backfield, Portis runs like a little girl...just go back and watch the Seattle game. He would get absolutely CRUSHED if he ran behind our O-line this season. He's only impressive if he can get to the second level.

G_Money
01-07-2008, 04:41 PM
With all do respect G ... i disagree about having to find a leader on Defense ... we have one at the LB position in DJ Williams. This was his first full Season in that role with AL gone and his teamates have rallied around him, and, his leadership skills are developing.

Champ's comment on DJ taking on that role ('Williams finds his niche' article) ... If fans are'nt going to give DJ time to develop leadership quality's/skills after being in the League for 4 years and just this Season assuming that role after AL's departure ... how long are fans willing to give a rookie ...

Fans may not beleive DJ is that guy, but as long as the guys in the huddle do ... that's all that matters ...

You can have more than one leader on D.

If DJ is learning how to actually speak to teammates, good for him - but he is not a natural leader. He's an "actions speak louder than words" type, much as John Elway was and many great players have been.

John talked a little more by the end of his career, but other guys were in that locker room doing most of the talking before, during and after most of the games. I'm glad DJ wants to step up but I'm not betting the farm that he's the leader we need to fill the vacuum that a Lynch departure would leave.

Champ isn't a big talker nor a real fiery guy, and neither has DJ been before this year.

Adding some of those qualities sure couldn't hurt (especially with some front-line talent to go with it) - and I DEFINITELY wouldn't avoid doing it just to keep DJ's toes from being stepped on.

~G

WARHORSE
01-07-2008, 05:15 PM
This will be a nutz offseason all right. Especially if Lelie comes back.:whoo:

:behindsofa:
lol!

Lonestar
01-07-2008, 05:18 PM
overall most of the bodies are already in place for the starting spots Except OLT and DT/NT. Not sure ANYONE wants to trust Jays blindside with a rookie..

They are all young and will need a year or two to become a cohesive unit..

Great FA DT are rare to hit the market.. Therefore getting a STUD with the #1 pick is imperative.. After that is drafting to fill back up spots unless they want to try and get a super star FREE Safety to roam the deep green, that can strike fear in the hearts of mere mortals along the lines of Lynch, Atwater and Dennis Smith.. Someone that NO one wants to go over the middle to make catches..

Yes there are a lot of holes to mend but nothing as glaring as DT..

ANYONE that has aspirations of a Superbowl appearance for the 2008 season should start taking MIDOL now.. Unless the Gods are with us and all of the stars and moon line up just so and we have ZERO IR guys from starters next year..

underrated29
01-07-2008, 05:48 PM
This will be a nutz offseason all right. Especially if Lelie comes back.:whoo:

:behindsofa:
lol!

IS THERE A RUMOR GOING AROUND THAT LELIE WANTS BACK?????

I keep hearing all this stuff about lelie coming back, but dont know what to make of it? Did ash say he wanted to come back? Or did the Broncos?

Whats going on?

MOtorboat
01-07-2008, 05:50 PM
IS THERE A RUMOR GOING AROUND THAT LELIE WANTS BACK?????

I keep hearing all this stuff about lelie coming back, but dont know what to make of it? Did ash say he wanted to come back? Or did the Broncos?

Whats going on?

No....Warhorse wants him to come back.

Lonestar
01-07-2008, 05:55 PM
No....Warhorse wants him to come back.

ashley must be a sister or something..

SmilinAssasSin27
01-07-2008, 05:56 PM
MEGA-Crazy

Skinny
01-07-2008, 05:59 PM
Adding some of those qualities sure couldn't hurt (especially with some front-line talent to go with it) - and I DEFINITELY wouldn't avoid doing it just to keep DJ's toes from being stepped on.

~GI hear ya ...

mclark
01-07-2008, 06:00 PM
Portis has really impressed over these last few years for his heart on the field.

I still don't understand what his dress off the field is all about. (I try to find a way to give him the benefit of the doubt, but sometimes I fail.)

But I don't see him coming back. The guy has taken a beating. And he's getting old. We need a back with a lot less mileage (like Michael Turner).

Still, he never quits. There's nothing soft about him as a running back.

Lonestar
01-07-2008, 06:51 PM
Portis has really impressed over these last few years for his heart on the field.

I still don't understand what his dress off the field is all about. (I try to find a way to give him the benefit of the doubt, but sometimes I fail.)

But I don't see him coming back. The guy has taken a beating. And he's getting old. We need a back with a lot less mileage (like Michael Turner).

Still, he never quits. There's nothing soft about him as a running back.

poorti$$$ is a mega ego that would never come back to I think he called DEN a hick town..

He like the lime light in WAS..

Yep I'd take Michael Turner in heartbeat.. But then we really do not need Rb as much as DL.

omac
01-07-2008, 08:02 PM

Yup, I agree, I think that's the way to go! :cheers:

The ideal scenario would've been that we kept acquiring good young players to groom them to take over the place of very solid veterans, and that when the veterans retire, they take their places and all goes smoothly with just a few kinks; unfortunately for us, everyone gets injured at the same time, and all seem to be retiring pretty close to one another, so that instead of one or two young guys playing major roles, a whole bunch of them are forced to play and immediately gel. That's chaos, and that's been our season.

I think though, as long as we just focus on upgrading both sides of the line like Bronco9798 mentioned, we'll see huge improvements. Just look at the big difference with the Browns offense with their upgraded line with Thomas. We seem pretty strong already on both sides of the ball on the skill guys, but very weak on the trenches guys.

Aside from that, we need to believe in one defensive philosophy, and stick with it and force it to work, in order to get good at it.

broncosfanscott
01-07-2008, 10:19 PM
i think if you guys thought last offseason was crazy, then buckle up because this offseason is about to get crazier.

You got that right. I think we should continue with the youth movement on the team and hopefully add some leaders in FA (ones that will help the team) and future ones in the draft. Not just with the players, but this could be a crazy offseason with the coaching staff as well.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-07-2008, 10:42 PM
Portis is an ass. Screw that guy. He is solid, but is often hurt and would be breaking the bank had he stayed.

TXBRONC
01-07-2008, 10:44 PM
I know every offseason is important, but I can't remember when Denver had so many questions going into the offseason concerning players.

Lepsis has already said he will retire
Will Lynch retire?
Will Nalen retire?
Will Hamilton retire?
Do you trade Walker or try and keep him?
Should Denver resign Foxworth and/or Paymah?
Do we bring back Henry (trade)(distraction)?

We could end up this offseason needing to fill:
Starting WR
Already need to fill starting LT
Starting RT
Starting C (I know Nalen and Hamilton didn't play most of the year!)

And this is just the Offense!

add these to us needing a starting DT!
Who will be our third LB besides Williams and Gold? And that is if we keep Gold.
Is Abdullah good enough to start and who will start opposite of him?
And do we really have what we need at defensive end with Moss, Crowder, Doom, and Engelberger?

Denver needs to get this offseason right or the next several years are going to be painful!

Nalen and Hamilton are both planning to be back this next season.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-07-2008, 10:47 PM
They better. Their presence will make our offseason so much more stable.