PDA

View Full Version : Should Broncos extend Orton before he becomes an FA, or take their chances in FA and the draft?

Tned
11-05-2009, 08:04 AM
Ok, after seven games, what should the Broncos do?

Orton has clearly played well up to this point, and he is a free agent next year.

Should the Broncos try and sign him to an extension before the season ends?
Should the Broncos wait until the season is over, and hope they can sign him before FA starts, or during the offseason when he is entertaining offers from other teams?
Should the Broncos turn to the draft and free agency to fill the QB spot?
Should the Broncos let Simms and Brandstater compete for the job?

Once Orton becomes a free agent, there is no guarantee he will resign with the Broncos. I know some say he understands that McDaniels system is such a good fit, that he won't want to go anywhere, but that seems like a dangerous gamble if the Broncos think he is the guy that should run the team for the foreseeable future.

claymore
11-05-2009, 08:10 AM
Extend him to another 900k one year deal, and cut Simms. Simms makes wayyyyyy tom much money to hold a clip board, and do spleen awareness comercials.

roomemp
11-05-2009, 08:14 AM
I believe Orton is actually a restricted free agent (assuming there is no collective bargaining agreement) If that is the case I would say place the 2nd highest tendor on him.......THem maybe draft a QB in the 3 or 4 round unless a steal is there in the first or second rounds.

Tned
11-05-2009, 08:22 AM
I believe Orton is actually a restricted free agent (assuming there is no collective bargaining agreement) If that is the case I would say place the 2nd highest tendor on him.......THem maybe draft a QB in the 3 or 4 round unless a steal is there in the first or second rounds.

As next year will be his sixth year in the league, I am under the impression that regardles of the CBA, he would be an unrestricted free agent.

I could be wrong, but I thought that with a CBA in place (a capped year), any player in their 5th year is an unrestricted free agent. If no new CBA is in place (uncapped year) then players in their 6th season are unrestricted free agents.

So, I believe regardless of what happens with the CBA (unless a new one is signed and free agency goes away or is drastically changed) that Orton will be an unrestricted free agent.

LordTrychon
11-05-2009, 08:26 AM
I think we should try to sign him an extension... not an overly long or pricey one though. I do think we try to get a QB for the future on the Roster... if it's not Brandstater... then through the draft.

Having Orton for another year or two would be good regardless, I think... but I'm not sold on him being the 10 year solution... and I think there's a limit to what we should pay.

sneakers
11-05-2009, 08:28 AM
Let's see how the rest of the year goes.

Tned
11-05-2009, 08:31 AM

If it goes well, and he plays well, do we risk not being able to resign him as he likely would test the free agency market?

Northman
11-05-2009, 08:37 AM

This is basically where i stand. To my knowledge i havent heard Orton or his agent pushing for an extention right now so let the season ride. If at the end of the season McD thinks Orton is still his guy than give him the extention. If not, test the draft and FA market. At the end of the day there arent a crapload of teams banging down the door to sign him.

Tned
11-05-2009, 08:37 AM

Attached is the clause from the CBA (page 57, Article XIX, section 1) or you can view the whole CBA on the NFLPA site (http://nflplayers.com/images/fck/NFL%20COLLECTIVE%20BARGAINING%20AGREEMENT%202006%2 0-%202012.pdf):

Mike
11-05-2009, 08:46 AM
Wait and see. If he walks, he walks. After seeing what McD's system has been able to do for Cassel and Orton, I think he can find a replacement if necessary.

broncofaninfla
11-05-2009, 09:43 AM
Good poll question BTW....

I say wait, we've only played 7 games, lets see how well Orton fits in for Denver until after the season. No rush to sign him at this point IMO.

frauschieze
11-05-2009, 09:45 AM
I didn't realize Orton was in the last year of his contract. My gut says wait, but my head says there's a lot of people who need to be resigned. Earlier might leave us with more money for everybody else.

camdisco24
11-05-2009, 09:46 AM
I think we wait it out, see how he does for the rest of the season. If he works in the offense I have no problem keeping him and giving him a smallish 2 year contract or something. If we struggle to throw the ball down field for the rest of the season, i'll be all for looking for a replacement.

Right now, I kinda like Orton. But, as mentioned, he may not be the long term solution for our Broncos. Week 16 will tell....

NightTrainLayne
11-05-2009, 09:54 AM
I think the key would be knowing what McD's plans for Brandstater are at this point. Does he see an eventual starter in Brandstater? If so, then resign Orton for a two-year deal, and just keep bringing Brandstater along to eventually wrestle the job away from Orton when he's ready.

If Brandstater is not the guy, then resign Orton for longer-term, but plan to keep him as a back-up if we can find another QB to in the draft to take over the starting spot. Orton won't have a lot of teams chasing after him (I don't think), and how great would it be to have him as a back-up when we do find our long-term solution? He surely can't be any more expensive than Simms.

Shazam!
11-05-2009, 10:18 AM
Wait till the end of the season. IF Orton is not the guy, no FA QBs. With McDaniels, Draft a couple of late round QBs, see what Brandstater has, cut Simms.

Dortoh
11-05-2009, 10:25 AM
Really impossible to answer from the outside but I say you wait until week 12 or 13 and then if he still looks like the real deal it depends on his $ demands. Clay is on the mark on Simms. We are paying way to much $ for guy without a spleen.

Simply to many unknowns for an honest answer.

Brand
11-05-2009, 11:13 AM
I read in the paper that the Broncos will not be doing extensions during the season. There are a lot of issues that need to be addressed. The RFAs will be lookng for contracts, and the Broncos will need to see what that will entail. Orton should be just one of the issues they need to deal with. I voted the "wait until the season is over" option becasue that is what was reported as what the Broncos will do........

MileHighCrew
11-05-2009, 11:29 AM
I think Orton is what he is. He has played good and manages really well, but there is still something missing with him. Can he get it done...I think he can but is he the QB we build around for years to come? I don't know..

Ravage!!!
11-05-2009, 11:52 AM
I think we should try to sign him an extension... not an overly long or pricey one though. I do think we try to get a QB for the future on the Roster... if it's not Brandstater... then through the draft.

Having Orton for another year or two would be good regardless, I think... but I'm not sold on him being the 10 year solution... and I think there's a limit to what we should pay.

I have to agree with this. ITs not like we have a QB for the future on the roster (sorry if I'm not on the bandwagon for our 6th round pick yet). I don't think we should just 'take our chances' in either direction...either with FA or with the Draft.

Like LT said. Orton is not he long term solution, but would be nice to have a QB on the roster.

topscribe
11-05-2009, 11:59 AM
I believe Orton will stay, even for a little bit less money (reasonably so, anyway).
He says he has found the perfect place for him in Denver, and I can't imagine his
wanting to go anywhere else if he can help it.

Denver needs to place a priority in keeping Marshall and Dumervil, IMO. They
want to stay, too . . . at least Doom does, I think . . . but they can make it
about anywhere else in the same roles, whereas Orton probably realizes that a
big part of his success is the system.

FWIW . . .

-----

Elevation inc
11-05-2009, 01:02 PM
my wavering opinion is that we should let him walk and try in the draft and FA....the problem with that is it is def a risk and one that could set us back 3 years.....i do belive orton is a good Qb and is def a leader we need here....however i do have doubts he can be the guy to lead us to the SB win and even a AFC championship game win....

i really like brandstater alot...and i do belive he could take the reigns next year, but at the same time....i am not fully confident im ready to let a proven winning QB walk.

in order to make a legit answer without bias i think i would have to see 3 things.

A) can he rebound against a top d with a good performnace after a crappy loss
B) can he get us to the playoffs
C) can he win a playoff game

those three things i feel are most important. and we would be wise to wait as the body of work we have on him with this team is only 7 games.

he has done some good things here, but i have worries and would like to see more before shelling out another contract.....

D1g1tal j1m
11-05-2009, 01:11 PM
Let the season play out. If he plays well into the playoffs then sign him at the end of the season. He has enough perceived limitations that any offers that are given to him will probably be manageable enough for the Broncos to match. If he leaves, then McD has shown his ability to get the most out of whoever is under center. His system has so far shown to be QB friendly and most importantly, successful.

silkamilkamonico
11-05-2009, 01:26 PM
You guys do realize, that if Denver chooses to draft another QB, it's going to be a 5-6th round pick again right?

T.K.O.
11-05-2009, 01:35 PM
You guys do realize, that if Denver chooses to draft another QB, it's going to be a 5-6th round pick again right?

or maybe mcD will surpeise everyone again and trade our chicago pick up to grab tebow ?:confused:

T.K.O.
11-05-2009, 01:37 PM
I believe Orton will stay, even for a little bit less money (reasonably so, anyway).He says he has found the perfect place for him in Denver, and I can't imagine his
wanting to go anywhere else if he can help it.

Denver needs to place a priority in keeping Marshall and Dumervil, IMO. They
want to stay, too . . . at least Doom does, I think . . . but they can make it
about anywhere else in the same roles, whereas Orton probably realizes that a
big part of his success is the system.

FWIW . . .

-----

less than 1 mil a year ?...if we finish 10-6 or better and win the div. or make a wildcard spot...i doubt he will continue to play for 1/5 the $$$ that qbs like cassell and russelll are making

silkamilkamonico
11-05-2009, 01:39 PM
or maybe mcD will surpeise everyone again and trade our chicago pick up to grab tebow ?:confused:

Maybe he will pull a McGenius move, and find a way to get Bradford!

topscribe
11-05-2009, 01:43 PM
less than 1 mil a year ?...if we finish 10-6 or better and win the div. or make a wildcard spot...i doubt he will continue to play for 1/5 the $$$ that qbs like cassell and russelll are making

I don't know anything about the figures. I do believe Orton will get a raise this
next year. I don't believe there's any doubt about that.

Maybe he will pull a McGenius move, and find a way to get Bradford!

Shoot, why stop there? Maybe McD can use his genius to get Brady . . . :heh:

-----

Slick
11-05-2009, 01:51 PM
We aren't going to find a "franchise" QB in free agency. We might be able to pick up a guy able to perform as well as Orton does in this system, but Mannings and Bradys never hit the open market.

pnbronco
11-05-2009, 01:52 PM
I voted yes we extend him now, and I'm thinking for 2 years.

All he has done is everything that has been asked of him. It's not sexy but he's worked his tail off, put up with a lot of crap from so many places, is a team first guy and proven leader. Oh and got this team off to one of the best starts in a long time through some pretty tough games.

topscribe
11-05-2009, 01:53 PM
We aren't going to find a "franchise" QB in free agency. We might be able to pick up a guy able to perform as well as Orton does in this system, but Mannings and Bradys never hit the open market.

That is correct, Slick.

-----

MileHighCrew
11-05-2009, 02:27 PM

Please God no. Not Tebow, we have a TE

TXBRONC
11-05-2009, 02:37 PM
If it goes well, and he plays well, do we risk not being able to resign him as he likely would test the free agency market?

There is no doubt we if things are going well. At this point though it still might be a wise to wait a little longer before talking contract extension in my opinion.

Dortoh
11-05-2009, 02:39 PM
I wonder how much love Orton would be getting around here if he had the same numbers he has now but we were say 4-3 or 3-4

TXBRONC
11-05-2009, 02:49 PM

From everything I've been hearing Tebow wont be a first day pick. My hope is Denver wont want him because doesn't have the tools to be an NFL quarterback (and don't mean arm strength). His head coach said that he's way to quick to take off if he doesn't see an open receiver right away. Couple that with his horribly slow release that adds up to second day pick at best.

Tned-Mobile
11-05-2009, 02:52 PM
I wonder how much love Orton would be getting around here if he had the same numbers he has now but we were say 4-3 or 3-4

Probably more Griese (dink and dunk) comparisons.

Winning cures most ills.

frauschieze
11-05-2009, 04:31 PM
Let the season play out. If he plays well into the playoffs then sign him at the end of the season. He has enough perceived limitations that any offers that are given to him will probably be manageable enough for the Broncos to match. If he leaves, then McD has shown his ability to get the most out of whoever is under center. His system has so far shown to be QB friendly and most importantly, successful.

I don't know if that will remain true. If Cutler continues to "struggle" in Chicago, then I can see perceptions changing quite a bit. Especially if Orton really succeeds here, people may begin to think he wasn't the problem in Chicago, but the coaching staff and scheme were. That would raise interest quite a bit. Look at what happened with Cassel after one year.

skycoyote
11-05-2009, 04:37 PM
They won't be knocking the doors down to get Orton. I wouldn't loose too much sleep over him.

Tned-Mobile
11-05-2009, 04:43 PM
I don't know if that will remain true. If Cutler continues to "struggle" in Chicago, then I can see perceptions changing quite a bit. Especially if Orton really succeeds here, people may begin to think he wasn't the problem in Chicago, but the coaching staff and scheme were. That would raise interest quite a bit. Look at what happened with Cassel after one year.

Teams are always looking for winning QBs, just like Cassel who you pointed out. NE was willing to franchise him at $14 million or so, and KC signed him to something like a $60 million deal.

If Orton plays the final 9 games like the first 7, he will likely get some pretty decent offers in free agency. Not just total dollars, but more importantly signing bonus and years on the contract.

Some are suggesting that we wait until the offseason, and then just extend him two years. That likely won't be an option, unless he plays much worse the remainder of the season. If he keeps playing well, he is likely going to be looking for a 4-6 year deal, with this being his one chance at a big pay day.

Considering we paid Simms $3 million a year to backup Cutler, I think it is very unlikely we are going to sign Orton for a million or two a year, like some have suggested.

To put that "he won't cost much" in perspective. We gave Goodman (CB) a 5 year $20 million dollar contract. I just don't think it is realistic to think Orton is going to get less than a CB that Miami didn't even attempt to resign.

HORSEPOWER 56
11-05-2009, 04:46 PM
I think we need to wait it out a little. Orton doesn't turn the ball over, but I have yet to see that he's our QB of the future, either. The Ravens game was a glaring example of how we can't rely on him to take over a game and win with his arm when the running game falters and the defense has an average day.

I'm not complaining about Orton's performance, but he has yet to prove that he can be the guy that can dissect a good defense and carve them up. The Ravens game showed me a lot. Could it be just a one-time thing? Sure. But those are the types of performances that Kyle can't have in the playoffs. He can't be scared to throw the ball downfield when the underneath stuff is covered on the chance that he might throw an INT. We seem to have gone from a huge gambler in Cutler to a guy who doesn't gamble at all. You need a mix to be successful these days. Sometimes you just have to take some shots down the field.

Buff
11-05-2009, 04:47 PM
It's an impossible decision to try and make right now. Luckily, we don't have to... Shouldn't even be a consideration for at least another month.

Iron Horse72
11-05-2009, 04:52 PM
Bring back Cutler! jk :)

TXBRONC
11-05-2009, 04:59 PM
It's an impossible decision to try and make right now. Luckily, we don't have to... Shouldn't even be a consideration for at least another month.

That's what I'm thinking. If Orton is continuing to do as well as he is now then that might be a good time to start at least considering a contract extension.

Lonestar
11-05-2009, 05:02 PM
I think we need to wait it out a little. Orton doesn't turn the ball over, but I have yet to see that he's our QB of the future, either. The Ravens game was a glaring example of how we can't rely on him to take over a game and win with his arm when the running game falters and the defense has an average day.

I'm not complaining about Orton's performance, but he has yet to prove that he can be the guy that can dissect a good defense and carve them up. The Ravens game showed me a lot. Could it be just a one-time thing? Sure. But those are the types of performances that Kyle can't have in the playoffs. He can't be scared to throw the ball d top five at worst ownfield when the underneath stuff is covered on the chance that he might throw an INT. We seem to have gone from a huge gambler in Cutler to a guy who doesn't gamble at all. You need a mix to be successful these days. Sometimes you just have to take some shots down the field.

unless you have not noticed very few QB's can gtake over games and for the most part they are drafted NUmber one.. manning Elway etc..

HORSEPOWER 56
11-05-2009, 05:17 PM
unless you have not noticed very few QB's can take over games and for the most part they are drafted NUmber one.. manning Elway etc..

That's kind of my point, JR. Kyle is who he is. I'm not knocking him he's done well so far, but to lock him up long-term will probably take the kind of money that the Chiefs just gave Cassell. Is Orton worth that much? The jury is still out on that one in my case. He hasn't exactly dazzled me, yet. He's done things that a smart, average athletic-wise QB can do.

His biggest plus is that he hasn't turned the ball over. His biggest minus is that we all know that 3rd and long is almost a guaranteed punt unless a WR or RB makes a great catch and run. Orton doesn't seem to take risks, even when they may be warranted. That disturbs me the most. It almost makes me more upset that he didn't throw an INT or two vs the Ravens when we were down 23-7 in the 4th quarter even if just to try to spark something. Either way, the result would've been the same. Continuing to throw 3-5 yard passes when down late in the game isn't going to yield results unless Marshall or Royal can get loose and make some huge YAC like they've done before.

All I'm saying is, is that I think we should wait a little longer before we throw the future of the franchise on Kyle's back and make him our guy for the next 5-7 years. For all we know, the Ravens just showed the league the blueprint for beating Kyle and the rest of the season will look like last Sunday.

Nomad
11-05-2009, 05:18 PM

True dat!!

I know it's cliche, but I'm more concerned about Orton and co winning Monday night!! I hope he has a kickass night!!

Buff
11-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Attached is the clause from the CBA (page 57, Article XIX, section 1) or you can view the whole CBA on the NFLPA site (http://nflplayers.com/images/fck/NFL%20COLLECTIVE%20BARGAINING%20AGREEMENT%202006%2 0-%202012.pdf):

I don't know who is right... But Mike Klis is under the impression they will be restricted:

All discussions regarding contract extensions, however, are premature. The Broncos won't address any deals until season's end. And even then, they may wait until they get further direction regarding the league's unsettled collective bargaining agreement.

As it stands now, Dumervil, Orton and Marshall are restricted free agents at season's end. It's unrestricted free agency that generates the financial windfall.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncosmailbag

topscribe
11-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Teams are always looking for winning QBs, just like Cassel who you pointed out. NE was willing to franchise him at $14 million or so, and KC signed him to something like a $60 million deal.

If Orton plays the final 9 games like the first 7, he will likely get some pretty decent offers in free agency. Not just total dollars, but more importantly signing bonus and years on the contract.

Some are suggesting that we wait until the offseason, and then just extend him two years. That likely won't be an option, unless he plays much worse the remainder of the season. If he keeps playing well, he is likely going to be looking for a 4-6 year deal, with this being his one chance at a big pay day.

Considering we paid Simms $3 million a year to backup Cutler, I think it is very unlikely we are going to sign Orton for a million or two a year, like some have suggested.

To put that "he won't cost much" in perspective. We gave Goodman (CB) a 5 year $20 million dollar contract. I just don't think it is realistic to think Orton is going to get less than a CB that Miami didn't even attempt to resign.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them jettison Simms and pay Orton the three to five million . . .

-----

Tned
11-05-2009, 06:44 PM
I don't know who is right... But Mike Klis is under the impression they will be restricted:

I hope Klis is right (I also asked Frank Schwab of the Springs Gazzette, and he said he thinks he will restricted).

I don't understand how he could be restricted based on what's in the CBA, but I hope these guys are right and he is restricted.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them jettison Simms and pay Orton the three to five million . . .

-----

I don't think there is any way Orton sighns for $3-5 million a year, unless he is a restricted free agent as some are saying.

$3-5 million is the high range for backup QBs, not starting QB money.

MOtorboat
11-05-2009, 08:31 PM
How about we wait until the end of the season and see whether Patriots-Orton shows up more than Ravens-Orton...

Just a thought...

Ziggy
11-05-2009, 09:16 PM
This won't be a popular opinion, but I'd love to see the Broncos keep Orton for the 2010 season, and draft Tebow with the mid-to-late first round pick from Chicago. Tebow is a QB that can throw the deep ball with accuracy, and has great leadership, character, and toughness. With one year of good coaching, working on his mechanics, short ball accuracy, and learning the system, he can be a franchise QB.

Overtime
11-05-2009, 09:35 PM
i say get rid of him after this year. we don't need to waste a draft pick, we already have Brandstater, time to start grooming the kid to take the reigns.

but I highly doubt Orton will maintain this level of play for very long. I certainly don't want to wrap a bunch of money up in him, and then he starts to suck next year.

and for the love of god, cut Chris Simms immediately following the season.

Overtime
11-05-2009, 09:37 PM
This won't be a popular opinion, but I'd love to see the Broncos keep Orton for the 2010 season, and draft Tebow with the mid-to-late first round pick from Chicago. Tebow is a QB that can throw the deep ball with accuracy, and has great leadership, character, and toughness. With one year of good coaching, working on his mechanics, short ball accuracy, and learning the system, he can be a franchise QB.

you must be outta your mind. Tebow has horrible mechanics and terrible footwork. He'll go as a TE or a FB, with occassional use from the wildcat.

But really I don't want any part of Tim Tebow. He'll be a failure of a QB at the Pro Level.

MOtorboat
11-05-2009, 09:42 PM
you must be outta your mind. Tebow has horrible mechanics and terrible footwork. He'll go as a TE or a FB, with occassional use from the wildcat.

But really I don't want any part of Tim Tebow. He'll be a failure of a QB at the Pro Level.

I'd hate to the see the Broncos "think outside of the box" when it comes to quarterback.

With that said. Tebow isn't the answer. Orton might be.

I'll leave it that.

Overtime
11-05-2009, 09:49 PM
if Brandstater isn't gonna be our guy, I'd like to see us move up and take Jake Locker...boy is a warrior, reminds a lot of the way Elway played when he was at Stanford.

TXBRONC
11-05-2009, 09:51 PM
i say get rid of him after this year. we don't need to waste a draft pick, we already have Brandstater, time to start grooming the kid to take the reigns.

but I highly doubt Orton will maintain this level of play for very long. I certainly don't want to wrap a bunch of money up in him, and then he starts to suck next year.

I like Brandstaters measurables and I like what he did in the last preseason game but that would a bad idea to let Orton go before if Brandstater is even capable of being a starter in this League.

You want get rid of both Orton and Simms and do replace them with spit wads?

TXBRONC
11-05-2009, 09:52 PM

I really doubt Tebow is going to be drafted in the first round.

MOtorboat
11-05-2009, 09:55 PM
I like Brandstaters measurables and I like what he did in the last preseason game but that would a bad idea to let Orton go before if Brandstater is even capable of being a starter in this League.

You want get rid of both Orton and Simms and do replace them with spit wads?

Besides the fact that Locker probably isn't coming out...

NameUsedBefore
11-05-2009, 10:17 PM
Draft. Free agency if there's some remarkable catch in the market. Keep Orton if his price is low; if he wants top-tier pay then let him walk.

TXBRONC
11-05-2009, 10:22 PM
Besides the fact that Locker probably isn't coming out...

I like Barkley more.

hamrob
11-05-2009, 10:34 PM
Kyle "Statue" Orton is no prize. Yeah, we're 6-1 with him. I'll give him that, but he's not even at the Trent Dilfer talent level in my book. He's a stop-gap measure. We need a legitimate QB on this team if we want to win another trophy anytime soon.

dogfish
11-05-2009, 10:43 PM

this is a good point, and there's always somebody out there (typically a dipshit like dan snyder) who's willing to overpay based on one year's production. . . but i also think it's fair to ask whether cassell would have gotten anywhere close to what he did if there wasn't a GM fresh out of new england looking to make a splash at the QB position. . . obviously we'll never know for sure, but a lot of what i read at that time indicated that interest in cassell was lukewarm at best outside of pioli and mcdaniels. . .

^^ this ^^

no offense intended to anyone, but i'm guessing that it's wishful thinking to expect that he's going to play well for us, and then settle for much of a below-market value deal. . . not with a stiff like cassell sitting there with a sixty-million dollar contract! QBs get huge dollars in this league-- eli manning's contract is around a hundred million, and tony romo gets sixty. . . and you rarely ever see ANY veteran player sign a one or two year deal unless it's an old guy on his last legs. . . there's just no reason for a player to take a deal that's all advantage to the team and none to themselves-- especially not with greedy agents whispering in their ears. . .

this is going to be a huge question for us going forward, but there's really no way to answer it with any certainty right now-- literally everything is up in the air depending on the CBA negotiations. . . my gut says that it's more important to sign dumervil, marshall and kuper-- probably in that order. . . typically your QB is your most important player, but i have a lot of confidence in josh's ability to get production from the position, along with a belief that there are a number of guys who could probably give us what orton is giving us with the talent we have in place. . . i don't mean to denigrate or belittle his performance-- he's played well for the most part, and helped us win games-- but there are other QBs who can be careful and make good decisions when the line gives them all day to stand back there without even moving their feet (last week being the obvious exception), and when the defense holds the other teams to such low scores. . .

given some of orton's limitations, i'd probably prefer to keep as much of our offensive talent intact as possible, and try plugging somebody else in. . . whether mcdaniels thinks brandstater can be that guy we have no way of knowing, but i feel pretty confident in his evaluations, whichever way it goes. . . i don't really see it happening, but i'd be thrilled if we could get sam bradford. . . the injuries are certainly a concern, but i'd take the risk-- and i do think there's a fair chance that they cause him to fall far enough to be in range of the pick we get from chicago. . . i think bradford would have a chance of developing into a really special guy in this system. . . his arm's nothing special, but he has good mobility, excellent accuracy, and he's a winner who plays with a lot of poise and confidence. . .

BroncoBJ
11-05-2009, 11:22 PM
I think we should sign him to a 7 year deal worth about 80 million. :salute:

Lock him up long time. QB's like him are hard to come by. :elefant:

sneakers
11-06-2009, 02:01 AM

Perhaps you have forgotten that we are talking about resigning Kyle Orton here. :D

....how much was owed Cutler the next year or so? I am sure the money we saved from that deal would go a long way towards resigning Orton.

sneakers
11-06-2009, 02:02 AM

Yep, he is the Football version of Tyler Hansbrough

Superchop 7
11-06-2009, 03:11 AM
As you all know, I'm Kyles biggest fan,

BUT,

My first thought "was" Trent Dilfer.

(Only winning Super Bowl QB to be let go the following year)

Sometimes addition by subtraction does not work.

Look,

There are obvious intangibles with the neckbeard.

He "is" a good game manager.

And.......

(arm strength doesn't exactly come to mind, or checkdowns, or stepping into his throws properly, or a decent barber)

Better not get off on a tangent...

If it were me.....

If the price is fair, I keep him.

Let him know that his "long term" future is #2 QB.

And thats all we are willing to pay for his services.

(IMO, this is his best hope anywhere in the league)

Let the chips fall where they may.

If he wants to still be in the league 5 years from now......he signs.

CoachChaz
11-06-2009, 08:09 AM
The guy could play out 2 seasons without making many mistakes and win 20-25 games in that span and people would still not want him as the QB on this team. Sad, really.

If Orton continues on the pace he is on, he will demand a sizeable contract...and he'll get it somewhere. Plain and simple. Why would anyone want to spend tons of money on a first round unproven QB when you have a winner on the roster? I just dont get it

Tned
11-06-2009, 08:36 AM

While Brandstater showed some flashes in pre-season (where he also showed he was very raw), 6th round picks becoming 'the answer' at QB is the exception, not the rule.

MOtorboat
11-06-2009, 09:07 AM
I like Barkley more.

Targeting a quarterback two years out and maybe three isn't a very smart football decision.

TXBRONC
11-06-2009, 09:11 AM
Targeting a quarterback two years out and maybe three isn't a very smart football decision.

Hell I'm not advocating that we for Barkley to come out I just saying I think he's a better prospect.

SOCALORADO.
11-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Hell I'm not advocating that we for Barkley to come out I just saying I think he's a better prospect.

This is a deep year for QBs.
I personally think out of the top 5, only Jake Locker is worth a true top 10 pick.
Bradford is only out because of the obvious injuury.
Clausen, Meh. i dont know. Hes proven alot this year, but i am not sold from a pro standpoint.
McCoy, again. Meh. Weak armed, and on a team that is phyically more than likely the best in NCAA football.
Tebow. Mechanics. If he only could throw like Locker, he would go #1.
Horrible, just horrible throwing the football. In the pros, he wont hit the broadside of a barn!

BUT! there are ALOT of really solid prospects who will move up draft boards in the next coming months and offseason.
Here are 2 PROTOTYPICAL NFL QBs that could go between the late 1st and and 3rd rounds that i think could, possibly be good NFL QBs.

Jevan Snead*, Ole Miss
Height: 6-3. Weight: 215.
Projected 40 Time: 4.72.
Projected Round (2010): 1-2.

Rifle arm, perhaps the strongest arm on any signal caller in the Lone Star State's 2006 blue chip crop. Has above average mobility, runs a multiple set offense, and has the smarts to read coverage, knowing where to go with the ball. Will take what the defense gives him, but will also stike deep.
Everytime i see this guy play though, (which is rare!) he underthrows his WRs, and seems a little timid about being the leader, and making the tough plays. I watched him against USCar and he looked pretty bad at times.

Pat Devlin*, Delaware
Height: 6-4. Weight: 225.
Projected 40 Time: 4.84.
Projected Round (2010): 2-4.

This guy is a Jay Cutler clone. Rocket Arm. Huge arm. Same size, weight, etc. Can make all the throws although he doesnt at Deleware often.
Transfered from Penn St last year, he is trying to become the next Flacco.

Through 8 games,
PASSING GP Effic Cmp-Att-Int Pct Yds TD Lng Avg/G

Pat Devlin 8 141.87 147-238-5 61.8 1878 13 79 234.8

This could be a serious QB that MCD could target after the 1st round to bring in. Of course by the draft, Devlin could by all acounts have propelled himself into the 1st round discussion with a solid Pro Day and Combine.
He wont go unnoticed.

dogfish
11-06-2009, 11:31 AM
The guy could play out 2 seasons without making many mistakes and win 20-25 games in that span and people would still not want him as the QB on this team. Sad, really.

If Orton continues on the pace he is on, he will demand a sizeable contract...and he'll get it somewhere. Plain and simple. Why would anyone want to spend tons of money on a first round unproven QB when you have a winner on the roster? I just dont get it

that's definitely a fair point-- and i think the answer obviously comes down to the money. . . i certainly don't think we're going to have enough cap space (assuming that we're even dealing with a salary cap, which we may not be-- but in that case everything goes out the window and you're playing with an entirely different set of rules and parameters) to retain dumervil, kuper, marshall, scheffler AND orton long term. . . IMO the writing is probably on the wall for chef, but out of the others, who do you keep? i'm guessing that, based on some of your previous comments, you might let brandon go?

normally i'd say the QB is your first priority, but in this situation i think a LOT of it depends on how much he wants. . . this year josh freeman, in the 20th spot, got a five year, 36 million deal with 10 million guaranteed-- if orton keeps playing well and we keep winning, do you think we can keep him for significantly less than, say, the six year, 67 million with 30 million guaranteed deal that dallas signed romo to a few years back? i have no way to guess what orton's market value will end up being, but if his QB rating stays up and we keep winning, i can't imagine he's going to come cheap. . .

depending on the CBA, we're going to have some really tough decisions to make personnel-wise, and with the way things have gone so far this year i'm pretty much prepared to trust mcdaniels and the new FO whichever way they go. . . if josh thinks orton is crucial to our continued success then we need to pony up to keep him-- and if josh thinks he can get comparable play from a cheaper option in his system, i won't lack for confidence after seeing new england win 11 games last year with an afterthought QB who hadn't started a game since high school. . . .

Tned
11-06-2009, 11:40 AM
that's definitely a fair point-- and i think the answer obviously comes down to the money. . . i certainly don't think we're going to have enough cap space (assuming that we're even dealing with a salary cap, which we may not be-- but in that case everything goes out the window and you're playing with an entirely different set of rules and parameters) to retain dumervil, kuper, marshall, scheffler AND orton long term. . . IMO the writing is probably on the wall for chef, but out of the others, who do you keep? i'm guessing that, based on some of your previous comments, you might let brandon go?

normally i'd say the QB is your first priority, but in this situation i think a LOT of it depends on how much he wants. . . this year josh freeman, in the 20th spot, got a five year, 36 million deal with 10 million guaranteed-- if orton keeps playing well and we keep winning, do you think we can keep him for significantly less than, say, the six year, 67 million with 30 million guaranteed deal that dallas signed romo to a few years back? i have no way to guess what orton's market value will end up being, but if his QB rating stays up and we keep winning, i can't imagine he's going to come cheap. . .

depending on the CBA, we're going to have some really tough decisions to make personnel-wise, and with the way things have gone so far this year i'm pretty much prepared to trust mcdaniels and the new FO whichever way they go. . . if josh thinks orton is crucial to our continued success then we need to pony up to keep him-- and if josh thinks he can get comparable play from a cheaper option in his system, i won't lack for confidence after seeing new england win 11 games last year with an afterthought QB who hadn't started a game since high school. . . .

While I doubt he will get what Romo got, he likely won't be far off. If he stinks it up the rest of the year, he probably gets something at least as good as Josh Johnsons $7 million a year, $10-15 million guaranteed.

As I have previously mentioned, there is no way the Broncos can resign him for a million or so a year for two years, as some have suggested. They would have trouble signing Patrick Ramsey for that.

The Broncos only hope is that Ramsey is a restricted free agent next year. While the way I read the CBA, that won't be the case, others have said he would be an RFA in an uncapped year. However, the union has apparently woken up and realzied that the players, not the teams, lose big time in an uncapped year, and seem to now be working hard to get a new CBA worked out to avoid an uncapped year, which would make Orton a UFA.

My best guess is that Orton gets something between a 5 year, $40 million and 6 year $55 million deal, with $20-30 million guaranteed. Basically, something long term and in the $7-9 million a year range.

Traveler
11-06-2009, 12:50 PM
As well as Orton has played thus far, I just don't see him as the long term answer at QB for us.

McDaniels' ego can't be so big as to think this team will reach the next level without an elite QB. Unless they somehow build a defense the quality of the 85 Bears or the 2000 Ravens, we need to find a Franchise type QB.

I've said many times before that our QB of the future is NOT presently on the team. I stand by this comment.

As the Ravens game clearly highlighted, there will be instances when a QB will be required to make a play(s) -both mentally & physically- as Flacco did on several occasions.

I've yet to see Kyle do so and don't think that is part of his makeup. Orton is a winner, no doubt. I personally don't see the sense in paying him like the other elite QB's in the league.

Hopefully McDaniels doesn't view QB's like Shanahan viewed RB's. Meaning that he believes can win with less talented players at the most important position on the team.