PDA

View Full Version : I wonder........

Superchop 7
11-04-2009, 06:50 AM
If the Broncos considered "putting Shanny on the market"

Similar to what Bud Adams is doing with Jeff Fisher.

Or, as we all know.....what Al Davis did to Jon Gruden.

Pat Bowlen could have simply put the word out that he is listening to offers.

If that didn't work......fire him outright.

BUT......chances are....he would have been snapped up.

Thus, giving the Broncos extra draft picks...

And unloading 7 mill in payments.:doh:

Tned
11-04-2009, 08:25 AM
I just read something the other day saying that teams couldn't give draft picks for coaches (it was related to Fisher).

I thought Gruden and maybe Belicheck (someone going from Jets to NE or vice versa) had picks involved. So, I don't know if I read that wrong, or if the NFL changed their rules in recent years.

Traveler
11-04-2009, 08:30 AM
Compensation for head coaches is still possible
Posted by Mike Florio on November 3, 2009 1:55 PM ET

As a result of the recent flurry of stories regarding the possibility that other teams would be interested in Titans coach Jeff Fisher if owner Bud Adams were to decide after the season that it's time to move on, we decided to refresh our memory regarding the question of whether teams can still acquire the rights to head coaches of other teams in exchange for compensation.

And we're told that it still can happen.

As NFL spokesman Greg Aiello explained it, the coach's contract can't be traded. Instead, the new team would compensate the former team for relinquishing its contractual rights to the head coach.

This means that the Titans can't assign the last two years of Fisher's current deal to a new team in exchange for draft picks or cash -- but that the Titans can agree to let Fisher out of his current deal for compensation.

The difference is that Fisher would have to negotiate a new deal with the new team. But, surely, the terms would be at least as favorable as the terms of the prior contract.

And that might be why Titans owner Bud Adams, who has mused about making a change, is now singing a different tune. If Adams fires Fisher, there's no chance for compensation; if Adams makes it known that he might let Fisher leave for the right price, then Adams would unload Fisher, avoid a buyout, and pick up a little (or maybe a lot) extra by way of draft picks.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/03/compensation-for-head-coaches-is-still-possible/

Tned
11-04-2009, 08:43 AM
Thanks Traveler. That's actually the line (what you have bolded) that I read, but I just skimmed the article and for some reason my brain picked it up/remembered it as, contracts couldn't be traded, but that a team could be compensated with cash.

I would blame it on drinking, but I haven't had anything in weeks (except for those shots of schapps on the golf course last saturday ;))

TXBRONC
11-04-2009, 08:50 AM
Thanks Traveler. That's actually the line (what you have bolded) that I read, but I just skimmed the article and for some reason my brain picked it up/remembered it as, contracts couldn't be traded, but that a team could be compensated with cash.

I would blame it on drinking, but I haven't had anything in weeks (except for those shots of schapps on the golf course last saturday ;))

The way it reads it the compensations doesn't have to be just cash.

Tned
11-04-2009, 08:56 AM
The way it reads it the compensations doesn't have to be just cash.

I agree. I read it wrong when I read it the other day. I skimmed the article quickly, and misunderstood what they were saying.

frauschieze
11-04-2009, 09:08 AM
I still believe (without any foundation for it) that Shanahan would still be here if A. we made the playoffs last year or B. he fired Slowick. Given the timing of that last year, I don't know that we would have had the opportunity to float Shanahan's release out for compensation. I'm sure we wanted to get the best coach we could and that likely meant getting on the market as soon as possible. Late December, early January is when the coaching carousel really turns and if you're late (think San Diego when they fired Shottenheimer), you miss out.

Dortoh
11-04-2009, 10:19 AM
No way does Bowlen shop Shanny it would have been a disgrace. You dont ship off the single greatest HC in your teams history to the highest bidder. You part ways in a respectful manner and allow him to do as he pleases going forward.

Bowlen might be a gutless drunk but he is a classy drunk :)

NightTrainLayne
11-04-2009, 12:13 PM

:tsk: :yardog: :tsk:

Dortoh
11-04-2009, 12:19 PM
:tsk: :yardog: :tsk:

Sorry NTL its in ref: to a classic OM meltdown thread.

I get confused where I am sometimes :confused:

weazel
11-04-2009, 12:51 PM
No way does Bowlen shop Shanny it would have been a disgrace. You dont ship off the single greatest HC in your teams history to the highest bidder. You part ways in a respectful manner and allow him to do as he pleases going forward.

they're doing it to Jeff Fisher. I have no respect for Tennessee anyway, not after the shit they pulled with McNair.