View Full Version : More early horsepower a must

TXBRONC
11-03-2009, 05:52 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13699053

More early horsepower a must
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 11/03/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

Editor's note: NFL reporter Jeff Legwold analyzes the Broncos' 30-7 loss to the Ravens and looks ahead.

When a team has finished off games the way the Broncos did in their 6-0 start, exactly how they started can get lost.

After all, it is difficult to argue with how the Broncos closed out those first six opponents, pounding out win after win with staggering second-half statistics. But whether Sunday's loss in Baltimore is a hiccup or something a little more may rest in how the Broncos get things started in the weeks to come.

Sunday's was the fourth consecutive game in which the Broncos trailed at the end of the first quarter — 10-0 to Dallas, 10-0 to New England, 10-7 to San Diego and 3-0 to the Ravens.

Add a scoreless first quarter for both teams in the regular-season opener in Cincinnati, and the Broncos did not lead after the opening quarter in five of their seven games.

They led after one quarter against 1-7 Cleveland (7-6) and 2-6 Oakland (10-0).

And the Broncos have not scored on their opening drive of any game. Their best opportunities were a missed field goal against New England and getting stopped on a fourth-down play at the 1-yard line by the Raiders.

A finishing kick like the Broncos have shown for most of this season is certainly a sign of a team with some backbone. But the start counts too, and the Broncos must be a little better at turning their preparation into something good early to continue to get the endings they want.

Making an important point.

Of the NFL teams with one or no losses — Denver, Minnesota, Indianapolis and New Orleans — the Broncos are putting the most pressure on their defense.

The Broncos rank 20th in the 32-team league in scoring at 20 points per game, well behind league-leading New Orleans' 39.0 points per game after its win Monday night, the Vik-ings' average of 30.5 and the Colts' 28.7.

There is no team ranked below the Broncos in scoring that has a winning record.

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com

Superchop 7
11-04-2009, 02:55 AM
20th in scoring?

Thank God for Nolan.

MasterShake
11-04-2009, 08:11 AM
Good article. I was getting sick of the news out here saying "The last time the Broncos started 6-0 was '98... when they went to the Super Bowl!".

You know what else happened that year? We almost always scored on the opening drive and games were often over by halftime!

That being said, I'm excited to see how we respond Monday.

NightTrainLayne
11-04-2009, 10:20 AM
Good article. I was getting sick of the news out here saying "The last time the Broncos started 6-0 was '98... when they went to the Super Bowl!".

You know what else happened that year? We almost always scored on the opening drive and games were often over by halftime!

That being said, I'm excited to see how we respond Monday.

Indeed. For a time that season we were on pace to break the NFL scoring record at the time. We were just simply unstoppable offensively.

dogfish
11-04-2009, 11:15 AM
maybe josh needs to start scripting the first fifteen plays. . . . :D

broncofaninfla
11-04-2009, 11:19 AM
"There is no team ranked below the Broncos in scoring that has a winning record."

That a pretty telling tid bit right there.

TXBRONC
11-04-2009, 11:22 AM
maybe josh needs to start scripting the first fifteen plays. . . . :D

If you would like to hide behind my couch feel free to do so. :behindsofa: :lol: