PDA

View Full Version : Analysis: Roethlisberger will be tough test for Broncos' defense to pass

TXBRONC
11-03-2009, 09:46 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13698387

Analysis: Roethlisberger will be tough test for Broncos' defense to pass
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 11/03/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

Sometimes it isn't the best choice, kind of like the difference between hitting your thumb with a hammer or slamming it in the car door.

Either way, it's painful.

But ask defensive coordinators in the NFL about what is more difficult to defend — a scrambling quarterback looking to run his way out of trouble or one who will stand in the pocket until the last second, who is able to slide here and step there to avoid all of the traffic that is only inches away from him at times — and you almost certainly get the same answer.

It's the guy who will stand in, keep his eyes down the field and let it fly.

Baltimore's Joe Flacco was that guy Sunday against the Broncos, and Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger will be that guy Monday night in Denver.

A scrambler, unless he has next-level running skills as Michael Vick once did, or Donovan McNabb did early in his career, or Hall of Famer Steve Young had, can be hemmed in and contained by a disciplined pass rush willing to sacrifice the chance at some sacks for the greater good.

The guy who will stand in has to be taken to the ground or he will make a play at some point. Because NFL secondaries, with the rules book stacked against them these days, simply cannot hold coverage that long.

"(Flacco) is not afraid to stand in the pocket and take the hit," Broncos safety Brian Dawkins said. "He's big, he's strong. We knew we were going to have to climb the tree and get his arms and get him down."

Roethlisberger, however, is the next step, because he will stand in the pocket, move around and keep his eyes up, looking for a receiver. But he can also throw on the move, and he is adept at it.

That means to flush Roethlisberger out of the pocket will not necessarily make him bail out on a play like some pocket passers may do. He might run, move and throw it behind the defenders moving up to tackle him.

That's difficult to deal with, because the defense has to be disciplined enough not to let him escape, yet aggressive enough to get a chance to get him down in the first place.

Not many have succeeded — even Minnesota, which leads the NFL in sacks with 31.

Roethlisberger has thrown eight touchdown passes to go with two interceptions in his last four starts for the Steelers, including wins over San Diego and the Vikings.

He has been sacked 13 times in those four games, yet still made the defense pay.

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com

broncofaninfla
11-03-2009, 09:50 AM
Going to be another tough physical game against the defending world champions. I sure hope we come out with a completly different game plan this week because it clearly didn't work last week.

TXBRONC
11-03-2009, 10:18 AM
Going to be another tough physical game against the defending world champions. I sure hope we come out with a completly different game plan this week because it clearly didn't work last week.

The Broncos are good team they'll find away to bounce back.

broncofaninfla
11-03-2009, 11:24 AM
The Broncos are good team they'll find away to bounce back.

I agree. I read a story on line that in the title called us "pretenders". Made my blood boil, LOL! We got our butts handed to us last week but I have faith we can bounce back and get back on track.

GEM
11-03-2009, 11:36 AM
On top of that, Roethlisberger is a beast to get down even if you get your hands on him. It's going to be tough, but hopefully last week woke our guys up.

TXBRONC
11-03-2009, 12:48 PM
On top of that, Roethlisberger is a beast to get down even if you get your hands on him. It's going to be tough, but hopefully last week woke our guys up.

True he is tough to bring down but on the other hand did you know that he's already been sacked 20 times this season?

GEM
11-03-2009, 01:48 PM
True he is tough to bring down but on the other hand did you know that he's already been sacked 20 times this season?

He must be running close to Rodgers. That kind of ish will get a qb hurt. Rodgers has a sprained foot on one side and another issue on the other leg.

Let's hope our OLine gets their ish together. Orton isn't mobile enough to beat a Harrison(?) (Pittsburgh #92) coming off unblocked.

Slick
11-03-2009, 01:55 PM
Screw that. Our defense will be a tough test for Rothlesberger.

underrated29
11-03-2009, 02:18 PM
well, i predicted we started off6-1, with balt being our first loss. Our second loss was to pitts.

Hopefully, i am wrong.

TXBRONC
11-03-2009, 04:15 PM
well, i predicted we started off6-1, with balt being our first loss. Our second loss was to pitts.

Hopefully, i am wrong.

I hope you're wrong as well.

I don't think the Steelers are unbeatable but like with any of the really good teams Denver can't afford to make mistakes.

Broncolingus
11-03-2009, 05:19 PM
Bottom line, Denver simply needs to match (and exceed) the physical play of the Steelers...period.

The (bad) loss to the Ravens ought to be a good motivator too...

I like Denver's chances in this one...

TXBRONC
11-03-2009, 05:26 PM
Bottom line, Denver simply needs to match (and exceed) the physical play of the Steelers...period.

The (bad) loss to the Ravens ought to be a good motivator too...

I like Denver's chances in this one...

I couldn't agree more. They looked flat against the Ravens so hopefully they come out play with intensity.

Superchop 7
11-04-2009, 02:59 AM
If we can rattle Rivers.

We can rattle Ben.

Just bring the "A" game boys.

sneakers
11-04-2009, 03:18 AM
Not if he is laying on his back.

EastCoastBronco
11-04-2009, 07:29 AM
We're going to find out this week if our new punter has what we need. Lets not fool ourselves. Pittsburgh has a ferocious defence. What they did to Favre and the Vikes in that fourth quarter two weeks ago was crazy.
Our defence had an off week last week, intensity wise, but they also have the ability to mess an opponents backfield up. Nolan knows what he's doing.
This is going to be an old fashioned field position game. Punters are going to play a very important role in getting a win. Hopefully, our "new guy" is up to the task...

TXBRONC
11-04-2009, 09:17 AM
I expect this game to be close like it was two years ago.

Traveler
11-04-2009, 09:42 AM
I am so glad the DP decided to bring Legwold back. It's refreshing to read some actual football analysis.

As to BR, this is the test, 1) to see if we can actually get pressure on him and 2) to see if we can actually sack him and cause some turnovers.

It's much less rhetoric coming from the coach and players this week and that's a good thing. Our schedule leading up to the INDY game is brutal.

Monday nights test will be a good barometer in that we will either get back to the things that won our first six games. Or it might be the beginning of the late season fade we've become so familiar with.

If I recall correctly, we have 5-6 home games left. If we can win a least four of them, we should have a nice shot at the playoffs.

Here's to the beginning (hopefully) of another string of victories.