PDA

View Full Version : Town Hall Discussion: Specific Language - Acceptable or not?

Tned
01-05-2008, 05:06 PM
Ok, right now, due to the fast influx of new members who didn't know the rules and what was/wasn't acceptable here, the mods temporarily relaxed the language standards to ease the transition (such as allowing acronyms like WTF or letting slide words that were altered to get around the profanity filter).

This cannot continue if the rules stay as they are, so we need to visit some specifics related to what is/isn't profanity and what should/shouldn't be allowed in posts to give the board input so they can determine if the rules regarding profanity need to be modified or left as is.

Something to keep in mind when answering these questions.

Personal attacks are not allowed, regardless of language being used. So, whether a personal attack/slam is done using a curse or not, it is likely against the rules.

Sexually explicit language (describing sexual acts) is not acceptable as the rules stand, and that topic is not part of this discussion.

So, when we talk about curses/language here, it would be in the context of being used as an exlamation, adjective, etc., not a means to personally attack someone (forbidden with or without curses) or describe sexual acts.

So, please give input on the following words/points (the input on these, will help the board get a feel for what generally is or isn't considered acceptable by our members, and they therefore will apply that to other 'similar' words). Please give input on each of these questions:

====================
Questions to answer
====================

Specific Words:

Should the word Ass be censored?

Should the word B!tch be censored?

Should the word whore be censored?

Should the word sh!t be censored?

Should f-bombs be censored?

Should the word b@stard be censored?

Circumventing the word censor:

Should people be able to get around the word censor by adding letters like $ or ! (a$$ or sh!t)?

If a person posts a word that is **** out by the word censor, is that ok, or should the post be edited/deleted and the poster warned (examples "**** this" or "the team played like ****")?

Acronyms:

Which of the following accronyms are ok or not ok (general translation of the acronym given, some variations exist)?

WTH (what the hell/heck)?

WTF (what the fu**)?

FUBAR (fouled/fu**ed up beyond all recognition)?

**** (shut the fu** up)?

LMAO (Laughing my ass off)?

LMFAO (Laughing my fu**ing ass off)?

SNAFU (situation normal, all fouled/fu**ed up)?

SOB (son of a b!tch/bum)?

Other Acronyms you want to comment on?

Any other topics related to language use/profanity that you want to comment on:

Broncospsycho77
01-05-2008, 05:10 PM
I don't know what half of those acronyms mean...

Tned
01-05-2008, 05:13 PM
I don't know what half of those acronyms mean...

Ok, based on this, I will give the common 'long' version, although some variations exist.

Bronco9798
01-05-2008, 05:13 PM
I think all WTF, LMAO, ****, etc should all be allowed. I mean, come one you can't wipe all the words out that we have fun with. There is absolutely nothing wrong with those abbreviations. My 13 year old uses those on her chat thingys. You can't eliminate so much and make it elementary.

claymore
01-05-2008, 05:15 PM
I think sh!t type words even fuggat are bad. **** should be good, and all variations of LMAO, LMFAO, LMMFAO etc should be allowed.

Ass is not bad but b!tch is. even damn is bad. I used whore earlier, and it was in the context of a movie name. Felt bad typing it, but it was the name!

As for personal attacks, I hope that the Mods use restraint on this because I call people SOB on here all the time, but it is all in love.

Broncospsycho77
01-05-2008, 05:17 PM
I think sh!t type words even fuggat are bad. **** should be good, and all variations of LMAO, LMFAO, LMMFAO etc should be allowed.

Ass is not bad but b!tch is. even damn is bad. I used whore earlier, and it was in the context of a movie name. Felt bad typing it, but it was the name!

As for personal attacks, I hope that the Mods use restraint on this because I call people SOB on here all the time, but it is all in love.

Yeah, clay uses "SOB" all of the time, but usually the word "lucky" is before it, so it's harmless... and then there's a drinking symbol following that, so sobriety surely played a part...

I agree about the $$ and the ! to replace letters. That's over the line. I don't have any problem with asterisks, though. It still leaves some of it up to the imagination.

Tned
01-05-2008, 05:17 PM

Thanks for adding SOB, I'll add it to the above list ;)

Jody
01-05-2008, 05:18 PM
No
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes

Should people be able to get around the word censor by adding letters like $ or ! (a$$ or sh!t)?
technically no, but it doesn't seem quite as offensive for some odd reason

If a person posts a word that is **** out by the word censor, is that ok, or should the post be edited/deleted and the poster warned (examples "**** this" or "the team played like ****")? This is fine.

Acronyms:

Which of the following accronyms are ok or not ok?

WTH? ok

WTF? ok

FUBAR? no

****? no

LMAO? yes

LMFAO? no

SNAFU? no

I'm really not a snob, as I actually saw one of the new posters even use "C u n t" in a post. If we allow this and others, then you have to ask yourself what element of poster do you want to attract? For I think this poster just was having fun, but to imagine seeing this language in numerous posts and frequently may be offensive to a lot of men as well? Maybe I'm just not accustomed to partaking in conversations with some of this language, so I'll adapt to whatever is decided.

Bronco9798
01-05-2008, 05:20 PM
Good grief. Eliminating abbreviations like WTF, ****, LMFAO is going overboard. Just my opinion.

Jody
01-05-2008, 05:22 PM
Good grief. Then one has to ask themself 'why' they feel it's necessary to use all those terms on a routine basis on a public board. The privacy of friends or their own home, etc. is a different matter.

Plus, what the Freaks do not understand is how much room tned has given all of you as new members of this board, and it was not what we had for boundaries prior to your coming on board. However, some change is good, not denying that.

Bronco9798
01-05-2008, 05:28 PM
Good grief. Then one has to ask themself 'why' they feel it's necessary to use all those terms on a routine basis on a public board. The privacy of friends or their own home, etc. is a different matter.

No one would have to ask themselves why am I so sensitive over people having a little fun.

Those abbreviations don't even spell a word. Eliminate cuss words, but at least leave a little something to have fun with in some areas like the lounge.

Jody
01-05-2008, 05:29 PM
No one would have to ask themselves why am I so sensitive over people having a little fun.

Those abbreviations don't even spell a word. Eliminate cuss words, but at least leave a little something to have fun with in some areas like the lounge.

I think 'anything' should go in the Smack Forum, but not all forums.

Bronco9798
01-05-2008, 05:31 PM
If you're going to start eliminating little things like initials, you might as well as just go to a total G forum. Then there could a family night and gather the kids around and read the posts together I guess.

Tned
01-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Ok, two things. Let's first focus on the questions, not criticizing anyone else's position.

Second, anyone that joins this message board and actively participates, whether they came from broncomania, broncosfreak, the mane or mars becomes part of this community. Obviously, we had two mass sign ups (one group from mania, and one from broncosfreak), but now all of us along with those that have come from other places are part of the BroncosForums.com community.

And yes, at my suggestion, the mods did relax the standards temporarily with the recent influx in members, but it is important to understand that this was largely coincidental. Meaning, the advisory board and mods were already discussing whether or not we were moderating too strictly, whether the rules setup in a hurry needed to be reviewed, etc.

It was ONLY because we were in the middle of those discussions, and some among us believed that a Town Hall Discussion would likely result in loosening of the rules, that it was suggested that we relax the moderation on language until that process was completed. It was not done just to make new members happy, it was because we were already having complaints about acronyms like WTF being edited, people circumventing the language filter and other similar situations.

So, with that out of the way, we need to hear from all members of the BroncosForums community (whether you have been here for a week or four months), so that the advisory board can define the BroncosForums policy on language/profanity/acronyms.

Bronco9798
01-05-2008, 05:33 PM
No problem, I'm done. I voiced my opinion.

claymore
01-05-2008, 05:35 PM

Plus, what the Freaks do not understand is how much room tned has given all of you as new members of this board, and it was not what we had for boundaries prior to your coming on board. However, some change is good, not denying that.Im pretty sure the majority of us do, and are great full for everyones patience.

As for the previous boundaries, I think that change is good, nobody wants to go full tilt sailor talk, and I think the majority here to include you and I agree on most every thing.

Except SNAFU, and FUBAR!

cpr940
01-05-2008, 05:36 PM
====================
Questions to answer
====================

Specific Words:

Should the word Ass be censored? no

Should the word B!tch be censored? probably, unless we start talking about dog breeding

Should the word whore be censored? yes

Should the word sh!t be censored? seriosuly? Of course!

Should f-bombs be censored? YES!

Should the word b@stard be censored? hmmm......I can't think of a football or sports context, so yes

Should people be able to get around the word censor by adding letters like $ or ! (a$$ or sh!t)? NO!

If a person posts a word that is **** out by the word censor, is that ok, or should the post be edited/deleted and the poster warned (examples "**** this" or "the team played like ****")? Yes. The filter should do its job. And that should be that. Why have the filter if the stars are the same as the letters?

Acronyms:

Which of the following accronyms are ok or not ok (general translation of the acronym given, some variations exist)?

WTH (what the hell/heck)? OK

WTF (what the fu**)? Not OK

FUBAR (fu**ed up beyond all recognition)? Not OK

**** (shut the fu** up)? Not ok

LMAO (Laughing my ass off)? OK

LMFAO (Laughing my fu**ing ass off)? NOT ok

SNAFU (situation normal, all fu**ed up)? NOT ok

SOB (son of a b!tch)? Not ok

Other Acronyms you want to comment on? EXAMPLES: FU, Eff You, f'n, effin,

Any other topics related to language use/profanity that you want to comment on:[/QUOTE]

Nope

claymore
01-05-2008, 05:37 PM
If you're going to start eliminating little things like initials, you might as well as just go to a total G forum. Then there could a family night and gather the kids around and read the posts together I guess.LMFAO. Man would my kids be upset about that!

frauschieze
01-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Specific Words:

Should the word Ass be censored? No

Should the word B!tch be censored? No

Should the word whore be censored? No

Should the word sh!t be censored? No

Should f-bombs be censored? Meh, I don't care.

Should the word b@stard be censored? No

No. I also realize that not everyone will be caught and I don't think that it should be a priority for the Mods to try to enforce.

If a person posts a word that is **** out by the word censor, is that ok, or should the post be edited/deleted and the poster warned (examples "**** this" or "the team played like ****")?

I consider this the equivilent of the word being bleeped on the radio. That's okay, this should be too. I don't think someone should be warned or get into trouble because of typing a swear word that is caught by the filter. Another thing to consider is that this is a football forum. Come game time, I often (especially this season) catch myself posting more emotionally, like "I can't believe this ****!" or even "****!" after a particularly bad play. If I'm not intentionally trying to go around the filter, I think this should be okay.

Acronyms:

Which of the following accronyms are ok or not ok?

WTH? Ok

WTF? Ok

FUBAR? Ok (isn't this standard military anyway?)

****? This is iffy. It depends on the situation. Most of the time, I think this falls under the flaming catergory. It doesn't bug me in the slightest but out of everything, it has the most potential to be taken in the wrong way.

LMAO? Ok

LMFAO? Ok And LMMFAO should be okay too.

SNAFU? Snafu is now considered an English word and is in the dictionary. This is should be okay.

Other Acronyms you want to comment on? Acronyms don't bug me at all.

As I have commented elsewhere, if ever other word is a curse word, it just brings the board down. A few well placed explictives do not.

MOtorboat
01-05-2008, 05:44 PM
Specific Words:

Should the word Ass be censored? No.

Should the word B!tch be censored? Yes.

Should the word whore be censored? No. (For example, I really don't see the problem in someone calling anyone a money-grubbing whore...I do have a problem with someone calling someone else a whore, but then that's a personal attack and it falls under a completely different set of rules, right?)

Should the word sh!t be censored? Yes.

Should f-bombs be censored? Yes.

Should the word b@stard be censored? I don't think so.

Should people be able to get around the word censor by adding letters like $ or ! (a$$ or sh!t)? Warn or Edit, don't ban, unless it's a personal attack.

If a person posts a word that is **** out by the word censor, is that ok, or should the post be edited/deleted and the poster warned (examples "**** this" or "the team played like ****")? Unless its a personal attack, who cares?

Acronyms:

WTF (what the fu**)? OK

FUBAR (fu**ed up beyond all recognition)? OK (Stanley tools even has a tool called the FUBAR!)

**** (shut the fu** up)? OK

LMFAO (Laughing my fu**ing ass off)? OK

SNAFU (situation normal, all fu**ed up)? OK

SOB (son of a b!tch)? OK

I consider myself an upstanding member of this community and I can think of a number of other people I would consider good, well meaning, decent people that post on this board, who do use curse words. I think A.) it makes the mods job even worse if you start banning for the use of words, and B.) it's a word, unless its a personal attack, what does it matter?

frauschieze
01-05-2008, 05:46 PM
Adding to my list:

SOB? I will feel lost without Clay calling me an SOB, even though, clearly, it is physically impossible for me to be one without a sex change.

frauschieze
01-05-2008, 05:48 PM
If you ban LMFAO, SOB & bastages, Clay will have nothing left to say.

:elefant:

MileHighWrath
01-05-2008, 05:51 PM
I see no harm in the acronyms at all, be it WTF or LMMFAO, certainly they implicate the cuss words but are effective in actually removing them while allowing the emphasis those words provide. By-passing the filter with sh!t, for example, is wrong and I am very guilty of this myself and should be more courteous to others. ****, *****, ****, ***-****, is obviously ok but what about f*** or s***? I'm guessing probably not.

THere is a fine line, and trying to find it is always difficult. Damn and hell, both biblical but one seems to be acceptable and the other not, I have never understood this. Ass? I have never understood how the word ass could be offensive to anyone any more than butt. Which then brings to question the word butt-hole. If that's ok then why isn't *******?

Fine line indeed. I would caution against too much censorship as, among other things, it will remove a lot character from the forums. "Colorful metaphors" have some important effects on the language that shouldn't be completely eliminated.

MOtorboat
01-05-2008, 05:52 PM
If you ban LMFAO, SOB & bastages, Clay will have nothing left to say.

If WTF and LMAO are banned, I would have been banned probably five times in the last two days. I guess I just don't see the harm in it, at all.

Jody
01-05-2008, 05:53 PM
I see no harm in the acronyms at all, be it WTF or LMMFAO, certainly they implicate the cuss words but are effective in actually removing them while allowing the emphasis those words provide. By-passing the filter with sh!t, for example, is wrong and I am very guilty of this myself and should be more courteous to others. ****, *****, ****, ***-****, is obviously ok but what about f*** or s***? I'm guessing probably not.

THere is a fine line, and trying to find it is always difficult. Damn and hell, both biblical but one seems to be acceptable and the other not, I have never understood this. Ass? I have never understood how the word ass could be offensive to anyone any more than butt. Which then brings to question the word butt-hole. If that's ok then why isn't *******?

Fine line indeed. I would caution against too much censorship as, among other things, it will remove a lot character from the forums. "Colorful metaphors" have some important effects on the language that shouldn't be completely eliminated.

You made some great points in this post and it's worth keeping in mind.

frauschieze
01-05-2008, 05:59 PM
If WTF and LMAO are banned, I would have been banned probably five times in the last two days. I guess I just don't see the harm in it, at all.

Same here. I seriously didn't even realize it was against the rules as they stand. I should have gone back and fixed my ****** post (plural censored word that wasn't caught) but I forgot. :tsk: I honestly thought the filter would catch it.

MileHighWrath
01-05-2008, 06:01 PM
BTW ... MEGA High Fives to tned and the mods for this and the other open and candid discussions about the direction of this forum! I certainly feel comfortable and confident in the approach you are all taking with the inclusion of your membership.

Bronco9798
01-05-2008, 06:03 PM
Don't take the character and the fun that this site is about. Please think about what you are doing if you take away such expressions as WTF and LMFAO.

If someone else makes a funny post and you want to respond with a LMFAO!!! It doesn't degrade, it doesn't make fun of, it doesn't flame, it doesn't hurt anyone or offend. It is simply an expression and telling someone you thought there post was funny.

Tned
01-05-2008, 06:08 PM
Same here. I seriously didn't even realize it was against the rules as they stand. I should have gone back and fixed my ****** post (plural censored word that wasn't caught) but I forgot. :tsk: I honestly thought the filter would catch it.

Ok, let me clarify something. I probably confused it in my above post, and other's are mistating it.

Those words are not AGAINST the rules, up to this point the way the moderators have been interpreting the rules, as they exist, would be that most of the words/acronyms listed above are not allowed.

The rules in question are:

Rules:
4. No use of obscene language, photos, links to obscene language or photos, or anything that would be considered offensive. -- {final decisions on what is or is not obscene will be made by the Board of Advisors.}

Guidelines:
2. There are many members that are minors and many people that post with their children looking over their shoulder. If it shouldn’t be viewed by minors, then it shouldn’t be posted. We will use the ‘reasonable parent’ approach. If a ‘reasonable parent’ would consider it objectionable, it shouldn’t be posted.

As you can see, these rules are VERY vague, so what we are looking for is feedback to determine whether or not the way we have been moderating up to this point is in line with what 'our community' wants in terms of what is obscene language. Based on these discussions, we will either modify the rules and better define them, or post guidelines as to how they should be interpreted.

So, it isn't that anyone has been breaking the rules, per se, but instead are posting in a way that is contrary to how the vague rules above have been interpreted and enforced to date.

Also, it is important to note that these rules were put together VERY fast, and pieced together from a couple other boards, because we had some people dropping f-boms left and right and needed something up quick. We then posted the rules and asked for feedback, and received virtually none. However, over the last four months, it has become apparant that at the very least, we needed discussions on some specific aspects of the rules, such as language/profanity/oscenity and images.

frauschieze
01-05-2008, 06:09 PM
BTW ... MEGA High Fives to tned and the mods for this and the other open and candid discussions about the direction of this forum! I certainly feel comfortable and confident in the approach you are all taking with the inclusion of your membership.

Agreed a million fold. A GIGANTIC breath of fresh air coming from what we did. Thanks to the mods, the advisory board and especially to Tned!

Lonestar
01-05-2008, 06:46 PM

I have been watching this thread from it start.

I guess I have been surprised with some of the answers.. Do not take this as a negative..

When we say we are trying to be inclusive and get everyones thoughts in these areas it is not just lip syncing..

It is only with input from all that we can grow..

Keep the posts a coming..

schnooks1
01-05-2008, 06:53 PM
Ok, right now, due to the fast influx of new members who didn't know the rules and what was/wasn't acceptable here, the mods temporarily relaxed the language standards to ease the transition (such as allowing acronyms like WTF or letting slide words that were altered to get around the profanity filter).

This cannot continue if the rules stay as they are, so we need to visit some specifics related to what is/isn't profanity and what should/shouldn't be allowed in posts to give the board input so they can determine if the rules regarding profanity need to be modified or left as is.

Personal attacks are not allowed, regardless of language being used. So, whether a personal attack/slam is done using a curse or not, it is likely against the rules.

Sexually explicit language (describing sexual acts) is not acceptable as the rules stand, and that topic is not part of this discussion.

So, when we talk about curses/language here, it would be in the context of being used as an exlamation, adjective, etc., not a means to personally attack someone (forbidden with or without curses) or describe sexual acts.

So, please give input on the following words/points (the input on these, will help the board get a feel for what generally is or isn't considered acceptable by our members, and they therefore will apply that to other 'similar' words). Please give input on each of these questions:

====================
Questions to answer
====================

Specific Words:

Should the word Ass be censored? Yes
Should the word B!tch be censored? Yes

Should the word whore be censored? ABSOLUTELY

Should the word sh!t be censored? ?

Should f-bombs be censored? yes

Should the word b@stard be censored? Absolutely!

Should people be able to get around the word censor by adding letters like $ or ! (a$$ or sh!t)? NO

If a person posts a word that is **** out by the word censor, is that ok, or should the post be edited/deleted and the poster warned (examples "**** this" or "the team played like ****")? ABSOLUTELY!!

Acronyms:

WTH (what the hell/heck)? YES

WTF (what the fu**)? NO

FUBAR (fouled/fu**ed up beyond all recognition)? NO

**** (shut the fu** up)? NO

LMAO (Laughing my ass off)? YES

LMFAO (Laughing my fu**ing ass off)? NO

SNAFU (situation normal, all fouled/fu**ed up)? NO

SOB (son of a b!tch/bum)? YES

I do not think that any vulgar word that addresses a woman or mans "sexual organs" should ever be allowed in any forum. (except maybe a XXX forum) ((This isn't one of those is it?))

The starred out words are the best if necessary for sure, the acronyms would be okay as long as they weren't used in a way to attack someone else on the board.

I think for the most part people here try to have fun, but we do have to remember that it isn't just a room full of "guys" in a basement talking here, there are women, teens, etc. Some of the negative language does nothing to help the atmosphere of the board, and actually can diminish it.

We all have our own opinions... and I appreciate my chance to voice mine.

Skinny
01-05-2008, 06:57 PM

Should the word whore be censored? Yes

Should f-bombs be censored? Yes

Should the word b@stard be censored? Yes

Should people be able to get around the word censor by adding letters like $ or ! (a$$ or sh!t)? I have no problem with it ...

If a person posts a word that is **** out by the word censor, is that ok, or should the post be edited/deleted and the poster warned (examples "**** this" or "the team played like ****")? I have no ******* problem with this ...

Acronyms:

WTF (what the fu**)? OK

FUBAR (fu**ed up beyond all recognition)? OK

SNAFU (situation normal, all fouled/fu**ed up)? OK

SOB (son of a b!tch)? OK

If people read these accronyms and don't know what they mean, then purpose served. (see post #2)

If they read these accronyms and understand these terms, then purpose served ...

The only problem i see with any vulgar words or terms is 'young people' reading them. It's something we all need to be considerate of ...

Watchthemiddle
01-05-2008, 07:27 PM
Spelling out the words...NO

Accronyms ... Yes

Trying to fill in the letters with symbols to get around the filter...NO

LordTrychon
01-05-2008, 07:33 PM
I have a hard time picturing when **** will be used that wouldn't be considered a personal attack.

Maybe when you are relating a story of what happened to you?

Me - "I got a signed Elway Jersey for Christmas!"

My friend - "****!"

I guess.....

Bronco9798
01-05-2008, 07:35 PM
I have a hard time picturing when **** will be used that wouldn't be considered a personal attack.

My friend - "****!"

I guess.....

In the lounge, joking around with a friend. That would probably be about it. I've used it with friends in the lounge.

Jody
01-05-2008, 07:39 PM
The problem I see with many of the acronyms is simply....

if they are used in 'good fun', fine...no problems.

However, you make it 'the rule' that they are okay, across the board, and they are used in debates or arguments, they will just escalate a conversation vs tone it down.

That may not bother a handful of posters on the board, but if you step back and look at it from a modding perspective or a fellow poster who has to observe the discussion taking place....it just seems like it's opening a can of worms to me. :whoknows:

Bronco9798
01-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Just use them in the lounge and not in football discussions. They add fun to the lounge area. The lounge is suppose to be fun.

frauschieze
01-05-2008, 07:50 PM

However, you make it 'the rule' that they are okay, across the board, and they are used in debates or arguments, they will just escalate a conversation vs tone it down.

That may not bother a handful of posters on the board, but if you step back and look at it from a modding perspective or a fellow poster who has to observe the discussion taking place....it just seems like it's opening a can of worms to me. :whoknows:

A very good point. I think that is where disgression by the mods is in order. I tend to think if a conversation/debate/argument is going to escalate, it will, regardless of the language used.

Watchthemiddle
01-05-2008, 07:52 PM

Jody, you could be right.

Just as the acronyms could be seen as good fun or personal attacks, so could actually spelling out the words or trying to beat the filter.

In my opinion, profanity never leads to anything good. Especially on a message board. We all read into things differently and reading a post with profanity could be interpreted differently then the same exact post without it.

just my :2cents:

Also, if there are forums/threads that do allow the use of profanity ..ie: smack forum...will there be specific Mods designated to just patrol those areas?

haroldthebarrel
01-05-2008, 07:55 PM
It kinda depends to how poeple speak everyday. I mean, I guess I think that if a board should be moderated on language it should be just kinder than how we everyday speak.
Not some sort of oxford english that is just constructed.

We norwegians, and especially people from eastern oslo like me swear a lot even while discussion topics like politics, philosophy or whatever.
In fact I had this experience the other day when I was out drinking and met some others. The one guy was interrupting me all the time and I told him to shut up... basically we all tell that to everybody in my circles and he got seriously offended. I and others I told the story to couldnt just understand how any could be offended by that.

So I guess what I am saying is that as many places or people there are, there will be an equal amount of different opinions to how we speak and use foul language. Or what we even consider and define what a foul word is.
Thus, I suspect the best way is to try to define one standard and moderate that accordingly... keeping one line so that no mods give infractions to something another wouldnt do.. or something another mod would write even.

Broncospsycho77
01-05-2008, 08:41 PM
In my mind there's sort of a hierarchy when it comes to curse words...

First tier-- Probably alright.
The A word, the H word,maybe the Ba word: it's gained some recognition. Most of the acronyms go here, too. Include the "crap", "crud" words here, too.

Second tier-- Use very sparingly.
The Bi word, the Sh word, the Wh word, the D Word.

Third tier-- Never use. Incredibly offensive or derogatory to a specific group of people.
The F word, the C word, the N bomb or the K bomb.

claymore
01-05-2008, 08:43 PM
In my mind there's sort of a hierarchy when it comes to curse words...

First tier-- Probably alright.
The A word, the H word,maybe the Ba word: it's gained some recognition. Most of the acronyms go here, too. Include the "crap", "crud" words here, too.

Second tier-- Use very sparingly.
The Bi word, the Sh word, the Wh word, the D Word.

Third tier-- Never use. Incredibly offensive or derogatory to a specific group of people.
The F word, the C word, the N bomb or the K bomb.
You spelled the K Bomb wrong. :yo:

Broncospsycho77
01-05-2008, 08:44 PM
You spelled the K Bomb wrong. :yo:

:confused:

tencharacters

TXBRONC
01-05-2008, 08:53 PM

They don stand for words. I really don't want someone using **** with me. I don't call that having fun. I call that being rude.

TXBRONC
01-05-2008, 08:56 PM
Specific Words:

Should the word whore be censored? No. (For example, I really don't see the problem in someone calling anyone a money-grubbing whore...I do have a problem with someone calling someone else a whore, but then that's a personal attack and it falls under a completely different set of rules, right?)

Should people be able to get around the word censor by adding letters like $ or ! (a$$ or sh!t)? Warn or Edit, don't ban, unless it's a personal attack.

If a person posts a word that is **** out by the word censor, is that ok, or should the post be edited/deleted and the poster warned (examples "**** this" or "the team played like ****")? Unless its a personal attack, who cares?

Acronyms:

WTF (what the fu**)? OK

FUBAR (fu**ed up beyond all recognition)? OK (Stanley tools even has a tool called the FUBAR!)

SOB (son of a b!tch)? OK

I consider myself an upstanding member of this community and I can think of a number of other people I would consider good, well meaning, decent people that post on this board, who do use curse words. I think A.) it makes the mods job even worse if you start banning for the use of words, and B.) it's a word, unless its a personal attack, what does it matter?

**** can be used mainly as in personal attacks. I have not seen it used differently.

pnbronco
01-05-2008, 08:57 PM
[QUOTE=MissouriBronc;84799]Specific Words:

I think it's like someone else said it's the beep on TV and if you are not attacking someone else I really don't care.

Acronyms:

WTF (what the fu**)? OK

I try not to curse, but I even use this, because it just works, and people understand right away

If used in an argument, then no, if used as a statement between friends, I really don't care.

SOB (son of a b!tch)? OK

I rarely curse in public because that was the way I was raised. I really don't have a issue with most of the words on this list. I have more issues with someone being crude. Any of the above words used to attack someone is not ok. Thanks MB you saved me from typing.:D

haroldthebarrel
01-05-2008, 09:05 PM
They don stand for words. I really don't want someone using **** with me. I don't call that having fun. I call that being rude.

and that was the point of my last post. YOU would get offended at that. I on the other hand is so used to it that I wouldnt even think about it.

funny how what good behavior is so different from man to woman, city to city and country to country isnt it?

Den21vsBal19
01-05-2008, 09:12 PM
I don't know, SNAFU seems to be a pretty appropriate acronym for our defense ;)

To be honest, so often it depends on the context in which it's used, as long as it's not used in an abusive manner then I'm pretty relaxed.........

And to be honest, automated filters really get up my nose, for example on the other board where, for example, an opposition coach's name couldn't be used

Broncospsycho77
01-05-2008, 09:13 PM
I've never heard anybody say SNAFU before... speaking of which, doesn't SCUBA stand for something (not inappropriate, like Something Something Underwater Something Apparatus)?

frauschieze
01-05-2008, 09:14 PM
And to be honest, automated filters really get up my nose, for example on the other board where, for example, an opposition coach's name couldn't be used

LOL. On the Freak, chit was filtered. You couldn't say Wichita or architecture without it looking like Wi****ta or ar****ecture.

frauschieze
01-05-2008, 09:15 PM
I've never heard anybody say SNAFU before... speaking of which, doesn't SCUBA stand for something (not inappropriate, like Something Something Underwater Something Apparatus)?

Self-Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus

Broncospsycho77
01-05-2008, 09:16 PM
LOL. On the Freak, chit was filtered. You couldn't say Wichita or architecture without it looking like Wi****ta or ar****ecture.

Oh wow, I thought they did that because they hated Wi****a or something... LOL :shocked:

Poet
01-05-2008, 10:53 PM
If the VAST majority of the users on this Website are adult, just censor the F Bomb and the really harsh stuff. Most kids know what the words and abbrevations mean. Even if you just flat out have the *****s it doesn't matter one bit. It is called context people, and allow me to show you some examples (I will try to keep them tame).

Man, that cheerleader looks like a *****. Well, seriously now it is time for us to be realistic. He or she is saying that the Cheerleader looks like a women who is either very friendly with her affection or makes her pay in ways that you cannot file for with the IRS;). In other words, he is saying that she looks like a whore, a ****, or whatever else you want to call it. Seriously, edit the F Bomb, edit out the word that starts with a C and ends with a T and may or not a N in it. Edit out the stuff that is REALLY rough and leave it at that. Edit out the N bomb, and edit out Faggot, and edit out all the other racial slurs. The Word *****, Ass, Whore, Damn, etc etc etc etc being edited out is silly. This is a MB for all, but at the same point in time it rarely does any good to have the lesser curses edited out.

LordTrychon
01-05-2008, 11:05 PM
A very good point. I think that is where disgression by the mods is in order. I tend to think if a conversation/debate/argument is going to escalate, it will, regardless of the language used.

The more discretion we allow in the rules, the more the mods will take heat for using their discretion.

Poet
01-05-2008, 11:10 PM

I think you have to have a little more leeway than that. I mean, if you allow more words to be used it will be obvious when it is in fun and when it is used to be mean or attack someone. If a poster keeps attacking people they get the boot. So what is the real issue here?

TXBRONC
01-05-2008, 11:11 PM
and that was the point of my last post. YOU would get offended at that. I on the other hand is so used to it that I wouldnt even think about it.

funny how what good behavior is so different from man to woman, city to city and country to country isnt it?

It is funny how it varies from place to place. The fan boards that I have been on the most haven't done that. The have used the acronyms WTF, WTH, LMAO, and so forth but some just not used as matter of decency. If Broncos Forums decides this acceptable then like everyone else I have basically two choices. Learn to cope with it or find a new home and quite honestly I have no desire to move along even if such changes take place.

frauschieze
01-05-2008, 11:13 PM
The more discretion we allow in the rules, the more the mods will take heat for using their discretion.

Absolutely true. I don't have a good counter argument to this.

Personally, I think the mods have a thankless job and shouldn't be harassed for doing it.

TXBRONC
01-05-2008, 11:21 PM
I think you have to have a little more leeway than that. I mean, if you allow more words to be used it will be obvious when it is in fun and when it is used to be mean or attack someone. If a poster keeps attacking people they get the boot. So what is the real issue here?

The issue is it's still a demeaning thing to say to people in my opinion.

LordTrychon
01-05-2008, 11:32 PM

What about STHU?

Edit: Has that EVER been used before? :laugh:

Watchthemiddle
01-05-2008, 11:49 PM
What about STHU?

Probably not because you could probably just say that to someone and not need the acronym.

Poet
01-06-2008, 12:21 AM

A nasty sentence with no swearing in it can be demeaning to people as well my friend. Is it best that we ban demeaning sentences all together?

LordTrychon
01-06-2008, 12:29 AM
A nasty sentence with no swearing in it can be demeaning to people as well my friend. Is it best that we ban demeaning sentences all together?

Actually, I'm fairly sure that demeaning other members is already banned. ;)

dogfish
01-06-2008, 12:48 AM
====================
Questions to answer
====================

Specific Words:

Should the word Ass be censored? no

Should the word B!tch be censored? yes

Should the word whore be censored? :confused: no. . . i can't understand why this one is even in the discussion-- when did whore become a swear word? i bet there's not another site on the interweb, excepting possibly a bible study site, where that word is censored. . . if it's directed at a member it's going to get edited by the mods anyways. . . this seems highly puritanical to me. . .

Should the word sh!t be censored? yes

Should f-bombs be censored? yes

Should the word b@stard be censored? no

Should people be able to get around the word censor by adding letters like $ or ! (a$$ or sh!t)? no-- if that's premissible, then there's no point havig a filter in the first place. . . .

in a direct personal attack i think the mods should edit/delete if they find it, otherwise it's fine-- that's why you have a filter, let it do it's work instead of having the mods spend unnecessary time dealing with it. . . .

Acronyms:

WTH (what the hell/heck)? fine

WTF (what the fu**)? don't care either way

FUBAR (fouled/fu**ed up beyond all recognition)? don't care either way

**** (shut the fu** up)? no-- no need for this one IMO, it will be mis-used

LMAO (Laughing my ass off)? fine

LMFAO (Laughing my fu**ing ass off)? don't care either way

SNAFU (situation normal, all fouled/fu**ed up)? don't care either way

SOB (son of a b!tch/bum)? don't care either way

Any other topics related to language use/profanity that you want to comment on: yea, **** all this ****!! :laugh:

I don't know, SNAFU seems to be a pretty appropriate acronym for our defense ;)

i don't know, i think FUBAR fits better. . . . :fear: :frusty:

MOtorboat
01-06-2008, 12:50 AM
no. . . i can't understand why this one is even in the discussion-- when did whore become a swear word? i bet there's not another site on the interweb, excepting possibly a bible study site, where that word is censored. . . if it's directed at a member it's going to get edited by the mods anyways. . . this seems highly puritanical to me. . .

Can't agree more.

The only time whore becomes a bad word is when it is directed directly at someone. If I call Javon Walker a money-grubbing whore, there is 100 percent NOTHING wrong with what I just said. If I called a female member a whore that is different. It is a personal attack, and while the word itself is not offensive or censored, it is a personal attack, which in and of itself, falls under a different disciplinary category.

fcspikeit
01-06-2008, 02:44 AM

====================
Questions to answer
====================

Specific Words:

no

Yes! In any readable form

Yes! Anything that you wouldn't call your mom should be censored!

Yes.

Are you kidding? lol YES!

yes

No. If the word is not allowed, it shouldn't be allowed in any readable form

I see no problem with this. As long as the word isn't readable. **** is fine by me

Acronyms:

WTH (what the hell/heck)? Hell is excepted so why wouldn't WTH be? ok!

WTF (what the fu**)? Not ok. It reads the same as seeing the F word.

FUBAR (fouled/fu**ed up beyond all recognition)? If it really means "Fouled" I'd say yes. But I have only herd it as Fu****. I read it as FUBAR. It's not the same as WTF. When I see that I say the words. But with FUBAR I understand it as, Something is messed up! It's like it's a word with its own meaning. I can take it or leave it.

**** (shut the fu** up)? NOT OK!

LMAO (Laughing my ass off)? ok

LMFAO (Laughing my fu**ing ass off)? NOT OK!

SNAFU (situation normal, all fouled/fu**ed up)? Same as FUBAR. I can take it or leave it

SOB (son of a b!tch/bum)? not ok

JFC (Jesus Fu**ing Christ) IMO there is no greater disrespect then this!

BS (Bull sh!t) ok, but I can take it or leave it

GD (God Dam) not ok

ROFLMFAO (Roll On Flore Laugh My Fu***** Ass Off) not ok, but I am not offended by it, still the intent is there

Gay? ok, after all it means cheerful

douche ? ok

Cu*t? NOT OK

Sl*t? not ok

Ska*k ? not ok

Di*k? not ok. I know its a name, but if we allow it, it will be used as profanity.

Jesus Christ? When this is used in vain, as profanity. It is more offensive to me then just about anything you could say. might be hard to filter it, but maybe we could make it where if it is used as profanity the mods can edit it?

Watchthemiddle
01-06-2008, 02:46 AM
Jesus Christ? When this is used in vain, as profanity. It is more offensive to me then just about anything you could say. might be hard to filter it, but maybe we could make it where if it is used as profanity the mods can edit it?

Good point!!

Or seeing JHC...needs not be used on this board either IMO.

Tned
01-06-2008, 02:52 AM
Gay? ok, after all it means cheerful

douche ? ok

Cu**? NOT OK

sl**? not ok

ska** ? not ok

I left JC out for now, because it is a seperate issue from profanity, as it is religious and very controversial. It definately needs to be addressed, but figured we could take it in steps.

dogfish
01-06-2008, 03:17 AM
Yes! Anything that you wouldn't call your mom should be censored!

so jerk, punk, chump, sucker, twit, freak and any word in the entire english language that can be construed as even the slightest bit offensive or derogatory should be filtered. . . ?

i'm sorry, IMO that is going much, much, mcuh too far! that's getting into the type of censorship that almost completely restricts speech and communication on the board. . . if we try to make it so completely bland and inoffensive that even the most sensitive of souls cannot possibly be disturbed by anything they read here, we're also going to make it so utterly freaking boring that virtually no one will WANT to post here. . .

if i think phillippe rivers is a jerk, i want to be able to post it! i'm in favor of having some basic standards of decency, but you have to be able to talk at least somewhat like grown-ups, or what's the point in coming here. . . ? terms such as c u n t and t w a t are still considered vulgar and don't belong here IMO, but whore, tramp, sl ut etc have been acceptable parts of the common parlance for years-- you can read them in magazines or newspapers, or hear them on basic television. . . i feel very strongly that anything not restricted by the FCC for basic cable shouldn't be restricted here-- not only do i see that as overly restrictive and prudish, but i think going that far is going to lessen the membership of this place eventually. . . as i said in the other thread, i refuse to believe that anyone can't enjoy this place without dropping f-bombs, but i don't imagine too many people want to come here and have to behave as though they were in church-- this IS a football discussion board after all, not an after-school special. . . JMO. . .

Watchthemiddle
01-06-2008, 03:19 AM
Dog is a jerk, punk, chump, sucker, twit, freak...yes I want to be able to say those also!!!

:beer:

:laugh:

dogfish
01-06-2008, 03:22 AM
Dog is a jerk, punk, chump, sucker, twit, freak...yes I want to be able to say those also!!!

:laugh:

well seriously, who doesn't??

:lol:

i also don't see anything offensive about calling paris hilton a sl ut-- she is, simple fact of life. . .

Watchthemiddle
01-06-2008, 03:27 AM
well seriously, who doesn't??

i also don't see anything offensive about calling paris hilton a sl ut-- she is, simple fact of life. . .

I think the words Paris Hilton, Britney Spears, and Lindsey Lohan should be banned.

dogfish
01-06-2008, 03:32 AM
I think the words Paris Hilton, Britney Spears, and Lindsey Lohan should be banned.

along with oakland raiders, san diego chargers, and kansas city chiefs. . . but wait, then how can we talk smack about them?

Watchthemiddle
01-06-2008, 03:43 AM
along with oakland raiders, san diego chargers, and kansas city chiefs. . . but wait, then how can we talk smack about them?

You just have to bite your tongue and say those. Or sub them for the Faiders, Chefs, Cry Babbies, etc.

fcspikeit
01-06-2008, 04:24 AM
so jerk, punk, chump, sucker, twit, freak and any word in the entire english language that can be construed as even the slightest bit offensive or derogatory should be filtered. . . ?

i'm sorry, IMO that is going much, much, mcuh too far! that's getting into the type of censorship that almost completely restricts speech and communication on the board. . . if we try to make it so completely bland and inoffensive that even the most sensitive of souls cannot possibly be disturbed by anything they read here, we're also going to make it so utterly freaking boring that virtually no one will WANT to post here. . .

if i think phillippe rivers is a jerk, i want to be able to post it! i'm in favor of having some basic standards of decency, but you have to be able to talk at least somewhat like grown-ups, or what's the point in coming here. . . ? terms such as c u n t and t w a t are still considered vulgar and don't belong here IMO, but whore, tramp, sl ut etc have been acceptable parts of the common parlance for years-- you can read them in magazines or newspapers, or hear them on basic television. . . i feel very strongly that anything not restricted by the FCC for basic cable shouldn't be restricted here-- not only do i see that as overly restrictive and prudish, but i think going that far is going to lessen the membership of this place eventually. . . as i said in the other thread, i refuse to believe that anyone can't enjoy this place without dropping f-bombs, but i don't imagine too many people want to come here and have to behave as though they were in church-- this IS a football discussion board after all, not an after-school special. . . JMO. . .

You went on a rant because I said "whore" shouldn't be accepted? :laugh:

Are you really saying if you called your mom a "jerk, punk, chump, sucker, twit, freak". you would feel the same as if you called her a whore, tramp, or sl ut? :confused:

You must. Otherwise you wouldn't just assume that because I said "Anything you wouldn't call your mom" I meant all of the above.

Whore, tramp, or sl ut, all are degrading to women. They have a specific meaning. I don't care what anyone says, calling a female a whore, tramp, or sl ut, is not the same as calling someone a sucker, freak or jerk.

When I wrote, "anything you wouldn't call your mom" I wondered if people would get the wrong idea. When I read the word Whore, I thought of someone using it as a personal attack. Such as, what would a whore like you know about football anyways?

That would fall under personal attacks. Therefore, it wouldn't be excepted even if we allowed the word whore. I suppose the word whore can be used in other ways. Such as calling someone a CP whore.

Either way, Just because I feel the female members here wont appreciate the words whore, tramp, or sl ut in no way means I want a board, "so completely bland and inoffensive that even the most sensitive of souls cannot possibly be disturbed by anything they read here, we're also going to make it so utterly freaking boring that virtually no one will WANT to post here. . ."

You read way to much into my statement!

fcspikeit
01-06-2008, 04:34 AM

LOL, So profanity should be excepted as long as its only pointing out a fact?

See what happens when you read to much into one statement. ;)

:salute: :beer:

Bronco9798
01-06-2008, 08:14 AM
Just hope we can still use these when it's all over and done. :D

TD - Touchdown
TO - Turnover/Timeout
FG - Field Goal
Int - Interception
PI - Pass Interference

SR
01-06-2008, 08:25 AM

Yes.

Acronyms:

WTF (what the fu**)?

**** (shut the fu** up)?

If any of those are sensored...I'll be pissed. If we can't use common internet lingo, then people are too uptight and need to loosen up.

I'll be especially pissed of SNAFU and FUBAR get censored because those are two of the best acronyms in the history of the universe.

Kapaibro
01-06-2008, 08:27 AM
Specific Words:

Should the word Ass be censored? Nope

Should the word whore be censored? Yes

Should the word sh!t be censored? Yes

Should f-bombs be censored? Definitely

Should the word b@stard be censored? Yes

Should people be able to get around the word censor by adding letters like $ or ! (a$$ or sh!t)? No

If a person posts a word that is **** out by the word censor, is that ok, or should the post be edited/deleted and the poster warned (examples "**** this" or "the team played like ****")? If the word is starred out then that should be enough, but maybe a mod should just say "Hey, mind your language!"
Acronyms:

WTH (what the hell/heck)? ok

WTF (what the fu**)? ok

FUBAR (fouled/fu**ed up beyond all recognition)? ok

**** (shut the fu** up)? NO, seriously, can't you just say "SHUT UP!" in amazement?

LMAO (Laughing my ass off)? ok

LMFAO (Laughing my fu**ing ass off)? ok

SNAFU (situation normal, all fouled/fu**ed up)? ok

SOB (son of a b!tch/bum)? no, i get that some people use it as an endearment, but for most people that might not get a private joke

Is it really so hard to ask people to show some respect for the other posters who don't want to see posts laced with profanity? There are still plenty of things we CAN say without resorting to f-bombs and the like. I realise that this may seem rambley given that I'm cool with acronyms, but seeing a letter as opposed to an entire word is a different thing.

SR
01-06-2008, 08:41 AM
Is it really so hard to ask people to show some respect for the other posters who don't want to see posts laced with profanity? There are still plenty of things we CAN say without resorting to f-bombs and the like. I realise that this may seem rambley given that I'm cool with acronyms, but seeing a letter as opposed to an entire word is a different thing.

Is it so difficult to show some respect to the masses who value their freedom of expression?

This is why I don't post in these threads anymore...no mas for me.

Bronco9798
01-06-2008, 09:00 AM
Yes.

If any of those are sensored...I'll be pissed. If we can't use common internet lingo, then people are too uptight and need to loosen up.

I'll be especially pissed of SNAFU and FUBAR get censored because those are two of the best acronyms in the history of the universe.

The thing it's not like these acro's are used every day in every thread. They are used sparingly. Drop all the spelled out cuss words, no problem. But the other ones is just too much.

I use **** in the lounge to my friends in a humorous way quite a bit. But, it's with humor and joking around. I've never used it to someone I don't know very well and never would.

LMFAO is so harmless too. Amazing, some people don't like it.

Day1BroncoFan
01-06-2008, 11:04 AM
Using initials to replace certain words is subjective for me. I think if there can be more than one result and one is not as vulgar as another then it may be OK to use. If there is only one result and it includes a word that is banned the initials should be banned as well.

Some words like jerk, bonehead, idiot, twirp, etc. should be taken into context. It should never be acceptabel to call any member one of these names but it can be acceptable to call an opposing team player a jerk.

I also think things should be more relaxed in the smack forum.

As for me, I think that vulgarity should be banned. Maybe some people would have to go increase they vocabulary so they would be able to carry on a conversation without using it.

MOtorboat
01-06-2008, 11:12 AM
Using initials to replace certain words is subjective for me. I think if there can be more than one result and one is not as vulgar as another then it may be OK to use. If there is only one result and it includes a word that is banned the initials should be banned as well.

Some words like jerk, bonehead, idiot, twirp, etc. should be taken into context. It should never be acceptabel to call any member one of these names but it can be acceptable to call an opposing team player a jerk.

As for me, I think that vulgarity should be banned. Maybe some people would have to go increase they vocabulary so they would be able to carry on a conversation without using it.

What's vulgarity. That's a subjective opinion. To me LMFAO is not vulgar. Laughing My ******* Ass Off is vulgar. But that's my opinion.

I would imagine FUBAR is vulgar under your definition, but Stanley Tools uses it as the name for one of their new tools, and that's on regular television during football games and other shows, as well.

The problem here is what is vulgar to one isn't vulgar to another. Personally, I don't want to have to face a ban for using LMAO or LMFAO, to me that's ridiculous, honestly.

I use some vulgarity when I write, but then again I also just wrote 1800 words on the Raiders without any vulgarity at all. Does this make me a bad person, or a vulgar person? As long as it's not insulting a specific person for a specific post, who cares?

SR
01-06-2008, 11:19 AM
Maybe some people would have to go increase they vocabulary so they would be able to carry on a conversation without using it.

Stereotyping and generalizing are worse than using vulgar language. I'll bet your son, the soon to be Marine, is going to curse like a sailor by the time he's done with basic training, so I'm sure you wouldn't want to degrade his intelligence now; would you?

This is the kind of **** (whoops, sorry) that really makes these threads pointless because people like ^^^ get under the skin of people like <-- with their stereotypes and generlizations.

If the decision is going to be made to ban vulgarities, this kind of dumb speech should be banned as well. Just my opinion of course.

frauschieze
01-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Regarding the words whore, ****, tramp, ***** and other names that 'the women of the board may find offensive':

I am a woman. I am part of the board. None of those names are offensive to me. Now, if someone used those words in an attack on me, I might be offended, but that is an entirely different thing.

Now the C word. THAT is offensive to me.

SR
01-06-2008, 11:59 AM
I honestly had no idea you were a woman. I thought the frau thing was just a joke. Joke is on me apparenlty. I'm dumb.

claymore
01-06-2008, 12:10 PM
Regarding the words whore, ****, tramp, ***** and other names that 'the women of the board may find offensive':

I am a woman. I am part of the board. None of those names are offensive to me. Now, if someone used those words in an attack on me, I might be offended, but that is an entirely different thing.

Now the C word. THAT is offensive to me.
Coconut? Whats offensive about that. "Frau is a Coconut" I dont get it.

Also, is BJ bad?

SR
01-06-2008, 12:15 PM
Also, is BJ bad?

Quick answer; BJ is GREAT.

frauschieze
01-06-2008, 12:15 PM
I honestly had no idea you were a woman. I thought the frau thing was just a joke. Joke is on me apparenlty. I'm dumb.

Seriously? I did post a pic (http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=72052&postcount=608).

SR
01-06-2008, 12:16 PM
Seriously? I did post a pic (http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=72052&postcount=608).

I don't go in that thread because I can't see the pictures here. The browser filters out any pictures from any image hosting website. It blows.

claymore
01-06-2008, 12:18 PM
Quick answer; BJ is GREAT.
I wouldnt know I have been married for 12 years. :noidea:

fcspikeit

By this definition, you feel FUBAR, SNAFU and SOB should be accepted beings they have none vulgar meanings (Fouled, Bum)

That's a good point and one to consider.

This also makes sense. Acronyms like, ****, WTF, and LMFAO only have one meaning. I agree with this for the most part. Mainly I feel its the context of when they are used. When **** is used in fun, there really isn't any harm in it. In places like the lounge, it is almost always used in fun. I guess as long as it wasn't used to insult people or get under their skin. I would be ok with it.

But we both know, some knucklehead will tell someone that as an insult, then the fight will be on. If any of us get told that, who here isn't going to defend themselves? Then get in trouble for retaliating. Beings so many want the acronyms. I can live with them and what ever hardship they may cause can be worked out. JMO

I agree all those should be accepted as long as they are no used in attacking someone.

IMO, the smack forum should be a lot more relaxed then the other forums. After all, it is the smack forum. If those who want to talk smack there can't, we might as well drop the forum. Those who are easily offended should stay out of that forum.

frauschieze
Coconut? Whats offensive about that. "Frau is a Coconut" I dont get it.

Also, is BJ bad?

Ever see True Romance? You're a cantaloupe.

Also, BroncoJoe is not bad. He's just misunderstood.

MileHighWrath
01-06-2008, 12:19 PM
One person's vulgar word is another's way to emphasize a point, or express an emotion and while we might agree on several as truly vulgar, using them has no reflection on the person's vocabulary. Sometimes there's simply no better way to say, "Philip Rivers? ... LMFAO!" Sure you can string several more words together to achieve a similar result, but far less effective.

I simply see all of the acronyms, save for SNAFU & FUBAR (military expressions as old as dirt), as internet terms or turbo text like LOL. OK so one of the letters might represent a word that is unacceptable, but it may not. How do you the reader know my intention is vulgar when I use it? It's up to the individual who is reading the post to determine in his/her mind what it means.

SNAFU has worked it's way into mainstream english: www.m-w.com/dictionary/snafu (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/snafu) with "fouled" as a possible f word.

LMFAO: Laughing My Furry Ass (donkey) Off.

WTF: What The Fudge

FUBAR: Fouled Up Beyond All Recognition

Do we ban those? No. Hence the benefit of using acronyms. Now get your mind out of the gutter and **** (shut that fracas up) :D

SR
01-06-2008, 12:19 PM
I wouldnt know I have been married for 12 years. :noidea:

I've been married for almost four, but I still got 'em. What a perfect place for this kind of talk.

BroncoJoe
01-06-2008, 12:20 PM

LOL - beat me to it.

claymore
01-06-2008, 12:20 PM

One of my favorite movies. Broncojoe, LOL. We should start calling him helmet.

SR
01-06-2008, 12:21 PM
We should start calling him helmet.

LMMFAO!!!!!!!! We've got a winner!

LordTrychon
01-06-2008, 02:28 PM
I left JC out for now, because it is a seperate issue from profanity, as it is religious and very controversial. It definately needs to be addressed, but figured we could take it in steps.

You'll also want to take a look at the word Damn.

Not on it's own... just when it has the word God in front of it.

fcspikeit
01-06-2008, 02:44 PM
One person's vulgar word is another's way to emphasize a point, or express an emotion and while we might agree on several as truly vulgar, using them has no reflection on the person's vocabulary. Sometimes there's simply no better way to say, "Philip Rivers? ... LMFAO!" Sure you can string several more words together to achieve a similar result, but far less effective.

I simply see all of the acronyms, save for SNAFU & FUBAR (military expressions as old as dirt), as internet terms or turbo text like LOL. OK so one of the letters might represent a word that is unacceptable, but it may not. How do you the reader know my intention is vulgar when I use it? It's up to the individual who is reading the post to determine in his/her mind what it means.

SNAFU has worked it's way into mainstream english: www.m-w.com/dictionary/snafu (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/snafu) with "fouled" as a possible f word.

Do we ban those? No. Hence the benefit of using acronyms. Now get your mind out of the gutter and **** (shut that fracas up) :D

You make good points here. The acronyms are left to the reader to understand as they choose. I think were most the disagreement comes from is from those brought up using acronyms and those who were not.

When I first started on the Computer, I thought LOL ment Lots Of Love. If I remember correctly, that was used at the end of letters (Snail mail) you would write to a loved one.

Now that I have been on the Computer for 8 or 9 years, LOL reads to me, "I thought that was funny" All the others, are just different levels of how funny someone thought it was.

I suspect to most, esp.. those who were brought up on the computer they see the acronyms as words with their own meaning. They probably don't read What The F**k in their head every time the see WTF Like I do.

I also believe, some here view this as buying a used car. You offer lower then what your willing to pay, knowing, the seller will ask for more then what he is willing to sell it for. You settle for somewhere in the middle and both are happy, feeling like they got what they wanted :D

Tned
01-06-2008, 02:46 PM
Is it so difficult to show some respect to the masses who value their freedom of expression?

This is why I don't post in these threads anymore...no mas for me.

SR, please keep posting in these (Town Hall) threads, your comments/input have been good and appreciated.

The reason we are having threads like this is to make sure we are setting our rules, our lines in the sand, where the masses want them.

We have plenty of opinionated people, on the advisory board (I'm one, I try hard to keep in check, but often fail), as mods, and other members of the message board. That makes it easy for these threads to get a little testy at times, but if we don't get participation in these threads from you or other regular members, then we will be no better off than if we didn't have the threads, and just made the decisions completely by ourselves. I don't think that is best.

Tned
01-06-2008, 02:58 PM
The thing it's not like these acro's are used every day in every thread. They are used sparingly. Drop all the spelled out cuss words, no problem. But the other ones is just too much.

I use **** in the lounge to my friends in a humorous way quite a bit. But, it's with humor and joking around. I've never used it to someone I don't know very well and never would.

LMFAO is so harmless too. Amazing, some people don't like it.

I won't get into why people don't like certain words, acronyms. It just is, but that is why we are trying to guage the community at large and where they stand.

The point I wanted to make was about the first part of your post, about them being used sparingly and **** in the lounge, between friends.

The reason we need to set a definitive rule on these is that the mods need to know how to operate. They can't be in a position of trying to figure out if someone using a curse or acronym to joke with a friend, or is doing it because they don't like them or to slam them. As you know, there were a few testy relationships (one biggie, but clearly a couple small ones) that came here from Broncosfreak. All mixed together, we have joking around, and we have little slams, and there is no easy way for the mods to know the difference.

However, this goes beyond that. I just wanted to share that as an example of why something definitive needs to be set.

We have had situations of WTF being edited in the past and it becoming an issue. This process seems a bit tedious, I am sure, but we just need to get a feel for everyone's opinion, so that we can find that middle ground that will please/satisfy as many members as possible, but clearly we will not make few 100% happy.

I've stayed silent on my personal opinion, but the since other advisory board members (who are also members with opinions that need to be hear) have posted theirs, I will post mine.

It's important to remember when we (advisory board or mods) post our opinions in here, they are just that, our positions/opinions on these words. It doesn't mean that is how we will vote. All advisory board members know that we cannot set rules based on what we like are comfortable with, but instead have to base our decisions on feedback we receive in threads like this.

Snapping Turtle
01-06-2008, 03:18 PM
I thought I would put my 2 cents in on this subject. I dont find any words offensive really, just one. Its starts with a c and ends with a t. Besides that nothing bothers me too much.

Tned
01-06-2008, 03:18 PM

I have heard multiple definitions of LOL. Lots of laughs, laughing out loud, and another that is escaping me. My wife knew (when she started using MSN last year) it meant something was funny, but had no clue what the words were. It was just an IM phrase for funny, like : ) was a smile.

Years ago (15 maybe), when I had a brief stint goofing around on IRC chats, I came across ROFLMAO and ROFLMFAO , I knew it meant something was ushillarious and first tried to pronounce them "rof-l-may-o", now I just see them and know that something was funny, the longer the string, the funnier the person thinks it is.

As to different meanings, some brought up GD as bad, because it is typically associtated with taking the Lord's name in vane. However, we also all know people that would never use the Lord's name in vane, that then 'modified' their swear to God Bless (when they hit their finger with a hammer) or gosh darn, or something similar. What is to say that the person that will replace God **** damn in normal speech to gosh darn, wouldn't would use GD to replace Gosh Darn.

Also, in many cases, f-bombs have been replaced with friggin', or now Battle Star Gallactica (BSG) has popularized frack, frack it, and frackin. I have now seen this word popping up on TV shows, articles and other places.

So, is the use of friggin wrong? How about rolling on the floor, laughing my friggin ass off (ROFLMFAO) wrong? If so, since those are replacements that have been put in place by people that don't want to drop the f-bomb, then I guess things like "Oh Shucks" replacement for "Oh Sh!t" needs to go. "Oh fudge" replacement for Oh f-bomb, needs to go. Gosh darn it, replacement used by many devout christians I know as a replacement (they wouldn't admit that) for God ___ it.

Personally, I think we have to be very careful about legislating and mandating which replacements are ok, and which aren't. Is friggin or darn or gosh or fudge or shucis ok? These are replacements for profanity.

If we decide that people should be able to use the commonly used curse replacement words (friggin, shucks, darn, fudge, etc.), then how can we mandate that ROFLMFAO isn't "friggin ass"?

Ok, I will post my specific answers now.

Tned
01-06-2008, 03:20 PM
You'll also want to take a look at the word Damn.

Not on it's own... just when it has the word God in front of it.

Yes, as a seperate topic we will broach religiously sensitive topics, as that is an even more explosive and opinion laden mine field.

fcspikeit
01-06-2008, 03:30 PM
I won't get into why people don't like certain words, acronyms. It just is, but that is why we are trying to guage the community at large and where they stand.

The point I wanted to make was about the first part of your post, about them being used sparingly and **** in the lounge, between friends.

The reason we need to set a definitive rule on these is that the mods need to know how to operate. They can't be in a position of trying to figure out if someone using a curse or acronym to joke with a friend, or is doing it because they don't like them or to slam them. As you know, there were a few testy relationships (one biggie, but clearly a couple small ones) that came here from Broncosfreak. All mixed together, we have joking around, and we have little slams, and there is no easy way for the mods to know the difference.

However, this goes beyond that. I just wanted to share that as an example of why something definitive needs to be set.

We have had situations of WTF being edited in the past and it becoming an issue. This process seems a bit tedious, I am sure, but we just need to get a feel for everyone's opinion, so that we can find that middle ground that will please/satisfy as many members as possible, but clearly we will not make few 100% happy.

I've stayed silent on my personal opinion, but the since other advisory board members (who are also members with opinions that need to be hear) have posted theirs, I will post mine.

It's important to remember when we (advisory board or mods) post our opinions in here, they are just that, our positions/opinions on these words. It doesn't mean that is how we will vote. All advisory board members know that we cannot set rules based on what we like are comfortable with, but instead have to base our decisions on feedback we receive in threads like this.

IMO we should avoid like the plague any and all situations where the mods, leave ****, WTF alone in one post then edit it in another. It will lead to hard feelings between the members and the mods. People will feel the mods are being biased and showing favoritism. In actuality they will be.

If the mods are left to interpret each members intend on a case by case basses. They in fact will be saying, this member used the exact same word/acronym, but he meant no harm. While this other member was up to no good. Its far to easy to say, "I was joking around" "it's not my fault he takes things so personal"

My point is, if a word/acronym is allowed it should be allowed or vise verse.

There will always be cases where people attack other people. The mods will have to interpret the intent of those cases. The less they have to do this, the better. JMO

I am interested to see how you and the other mods/board members feel about these issues.

Tned
01-06-2008, 03:36 PM
Just to be clear, these are my opinions, and neither an indication of how the board will vote, nor a setting of policy. I am posting how I feel on these subjects, the advisory board will eventually put guidelines together based on EVERYONE'S feedback, not just ours.

Specific Words:

Should the word B!tch be censored? No - I think it is context. They use it on 7pm sitcoms, songs played on the radio. Since these questions apply to the words not used as an attack, I see no problem with a commonly used word.

Should the word whore be censored? No - CP whore, for instance?

Should the word sh!t be censored? No - I know many don't agree, and I can go either way, but I see nothing wrong with "Ian gold played like sh!t again"

Should f-bombs be censored? Yes - I personally have no problem with the word, but think it is offensive enough to some that it shouldn't be allowed.

Should the word b@stard be censored? Yes - I am torn, but went with yes. In most cases, even if joking, it is meant in a real or joling derogatory way. Don't know, I have no personal problem, but feel some would really be unformfortable with it.

Should people be able to get around the word censor by adding letters like $ or ! (a$$ or sh!t)? No, this should not be allowed. Obviously, I had to do it to post the words so we can discuss them, but once a word is labled as unnacceptable, replacing i with ! doesn't make it ok. This should not be allowed.

If a person posts a word that is **** out by the word censor, is that ok, or should the post be edited/deleted and the poster warned (examples "**** this" or "the team played like ****")? Yes, it should be ok. It is like TV and radio bleeping out a curse. They don't say, "cut" and make their guest repeat their sentence without the curse, they just bleep it. When a movie ithat had f-bombs or other curses not acceptable for TV, when it gets shown on TV, often they just replace a single word, like "son of a bum" or "what the fudge". They don't just replace/dub the one offending word with another tha kind of fits and isn't 'offensive' but everyone still knows what should have been there. Bleeping out a word **** should be fine, IMO.

Acronyms:

WTH (what the hell/heck)? Ok

WTF (what the fu**)? Ok - It does represent a curse, but has taken on a life of its own on the internet. There is probably a whole generation of kids using it that don't even know what the original meaning was, like two generations ago people called copy machines xerox or people refer to Tivo'ng something when they don't have a Tivo. Somethings go beyond their original meaning.

FUBAR (fouled/fu**ed up beyond all recognition)? Ok

**** (shut the fu** up)? ??? - Torn

LMAO (Laughing my ass off)? Ok

LMFAO (Laughing my fu**ing ass off)? Ok - f-bomb, friggin, who knows, but it has a life of it's own, the more letters strung together, the funnier something is.

SNAFU (situation normal, all fouled/fu**ed up)? ok

SOB (son of a b!tch/bum)? Ok, people that would never use b***h, use it, and often in a 'good' way. "He's one likeable SOB"

BS was brought up, and IMO, I think it goes without saying it is ok, as it is used all the time on the internet, on tv.

I covered the other topics above in a seperate post, about the fine line when dealing with acronyms, because once you go down that slipperly slope of censorsihip, then you probably have to start censoring darn it, friggin, Oh shucks, gosh darn, etc. They are ALL replacements used by people that don't want to use profanity, hence are replacements for "profanity", just like some acronyms are.

TXBRONC
01-06-2008, 03:49 PM
What about STHU?

Not that I'm aware of. That doesn't seem quite as bad to me for some reason.

Day1BroncoFan
01-06-2008, 04:12 PM
What's vulgarity. That's a subjective opinion. To me LMFAO is not vulgar. Laughing My ******* Ass Off is vulgar. But that's my opinion.

I would imagine FUBAR is vulgar under your definition, but Stanley Tools uses it as the name for one of their new tools, and that's on regular television during football games and other shows, as well.

The problem here is what is vulgar to one isn't vulgar to another. Personally, I don't want to have to face a ban for using LMAO or LMFAO, to me that's ridiculous, honestly.

I use some vulgarity when I write, but then again I also just wrote 1800 words on the Raiders without any vulgarity at all. Does this make me a bad person, or a vulgar person? As long as it's not insulting a specific person for a specific post, who cares?

I just gave my opinion which has been solicited actively on this board by several threads referring to this thread. I don’t see LMAO as offensive, the other version you have in your post I do find offensive.

I have no say over what Stanley Tools does and they have not asked me for my opinion on the subject.

Stereotyping and generalizing are worse than using vulgar language. I'll bet your son, the soon to be Marine, is going to curse like a sailor by the time he's done with basic training, so I'm sure you wouldn't want to degrade his intelligence now; would you?

This is the kind of **** (whoops, sorry) that really makes these threads pointless because people like ^^^ get under the skin of people like <-- with their stereotypes and generlizations.

If the decision is going to be made to ban vulgarities, this kind of dumb speech should be banned as well. Just my opinion of course.

If my son cusses while he’s in the Marines then so be it. I use vulgar language my self at times, I just don’t think it’s appropriate on a message board when there is a reasonably strong probability a nine year old will be reading your post.

Nothing in my post has anything to do with stereotyping. That is your stereotyping and generalization of me.

Tned
01-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Nothing in my post has anything to do with stereotyping. That is your stereotyping and generalization of me.

I think the comment was in regard to "expaning their vocabularly" or something like that.

Others have used the "only people that lack intelligence curse" or "cursing shows a lack of intelligence" type argument in other threads on this topic.

General comments, not related to Day1BroncFan's quote above:

Really none of that belongs here. People's opinions about whether someone is or isn't inteligent if someone curses, or whether or not people should expand their vocabularly, are simply off topic. It has nothing to do with what is or isn't acceptable on this message board.

It is probably a fine social/political thread to have in P&R or something, but it is off topic here.

Once again, I would ask people focus on the topic of what THEY think is or isn't ok, and why, and not take digs (subtle or not) at those that don't agree with you.

When the little digs start to happen, then certain members that would otherwise post their opinion wind up just avoiding the thread, for fear they will get slammed for their opinion, or just because they want no part of a thread where people are criticizing each other for their positions.

Things have been pretty good in here so far, but there have been a few subltle slams on individuals or groups, and we really need to all stive to not do that in Town Hall discussions.

Day1BroncoFan
01-06-2008, 05:07 PM
I think the comment was in regard to "expaning their vocabularly" or something like that.

Others have used the "only people that lack intelligence curse" or "cursing shows a lack of intelligence" type argument in other threads on this topic.

General comments, not related to Day1BroncFan's quote above:

Really none of that belongs here. People's opinions about whether someone is or isn't inteligent if someone curses, or whether or not people should expand their vocabularly, are simply off topic. It has nothing to do with what is or isn't acceptable on this message board.

It is probably a fine social/political thread to have in P&R or something, but it is off topic here.

Once again, I would ask people focus on the topic of what THEY think is or isn't ok, and why, and not take digs (subtle or not) at those that don't agree with you.

When the little digs start to happen, then certain members that would otherwise post their opinion wind up just avoiding the thread, for fear they will get slammed for their opinion, or just because they want no part of a thread where people are criticizing each other for their positions.

Things have been pretty good in here so far, but there have been a few subltle slams on individuals or groups, and we really need to all stive to not do that in Town Hall discussions.

My comment did not in any way demean nor was it meant to demean anyone. I made that comment from my personal experience. I can cuss with the best. Whether or not you use vulgar language or not has nothing to do with inteligence. I just look at it like more of a challenge to put your thoughts out there without using the vulgarity. You can challenge others by posting your feelings without vulgarity. I went to the dictionary and found other words to use that get the point across equally as well and aren't offensive.

Say you have a room full of people that you cannot see or have any way of knowing who is in the room. They could be nuns or children or your mother and sister. You are connected to this room via a microphone. You are given a sheet of paper with a few paraghraphs of text on it. You have to give a comment on this text. Would you blast a bunch of vulgar language out there? Would you make a comment and keep it clean?

Bronco9798
01-06-2008, 05:16 PM
You're taking this to a whole different level.

Day1BroncoFan
01-06-2008, 05:22 PM
You're taking this to a whole different level.

If you are referring to my post just prior to yours that's kind of the way I look at it when I type words in here. The difference is that once you type them in they stick for a while.

Tned
01-06-2008, 05:40 PM
My comment did not in any way demean nor was it meant to demean anyone. I made that comment from my personal experience. I can cuss with the best. Whether or not you use vulgar language or not has nothing to do with inteligence. I just look at it like more of a challenge to put your thoughts out there without using the vulgarity. You can challenge others by posting your feelings without vulgarity. I went to the dictionary and found other words to use that get the point across equally as well and aren't offensive.

I never claimed you demeaned anyone.

Say you have a room full of people that you cannot see or have any way of knowing who is in the room. They could be nuns or children or your mother and sister. You are connected to this room via a microphone. You are given a sheet of paper with a few paraghraphs of text on it. You have to give a comment on this text. Would you blast a bunch of vulgar language out there? Would you make a comment and keep it clean?

I think that would depend on the individual and the content of that text. Some individuals would curse for shock value, some would have no concern or regard for who is on the other end of the phone.

Personally, unless the topic on the paper was related to profanity, I wouldn't use it in that hypothetical situation.

However, that hypothetical has nothing to do with our situation, IMO.

We are a football message board, not a church or school message board. If I was posting on a church message board, I wouldn't expect to see images of scantily clad cheerleaders.

If I was going to church, I wouldn't expect to hear someone scream from the pews, "get the bleep off the altar, you bum!".

If I was at a football game, I wouldn't be surprised to hear: "get off the bleeping field you bum!"

If I was at a baseball game, I wouldn't be surpirsed to hear: "Are you bleeping blind, that ball was right down the middle!!"

That is why your hypothetical doesn't apply, this is a football message board, not a church or school board.

IMO, we don't have to setup rules to the least common dominator, meaning we shouldn't be catering the rules to the prudest or crudest amongst us, but instead should be trying to define the middle ground that fits the majority of our community members that fall between the extremes.

Hawgdriver
01-06-2008, 06:01 PM
It's too bad that you can't let the creator of the thread choose the level of language permitted. I say keep the acronyms, ass, and bastage, and turn the rest into **'s. b1tch/sh!t shouldn't be allowed (either a word is allowed or it isn't). But I'd like more diversity in my ability to express a thought sometime, so it would be nice to be able to designate a thread as 'adult language OK'. Of course, abusive posts of any kind should never be permitted.

edit: not a big fan of s-t-f-u

LordTrychon
01-06-2008, 06:07 PM

I think that would depend on the individual and the content of that text. Some individuals would curse for shock value, some would have no concern or regard for who is on the other end of the phone.

Personally, unless the topic on the paper was related to profanity, I wouldn't use it in that hypothetical situation.

We are a football message board, not a church or school message board. If I was posting on a church message board, I would expect to see images of scantily clad cheerleaders.

If I was going to church, I wouldn't expect to hear someone scream from the pews, "get the bleep off the altar, you bum!".

If I was at a football game, I wouldn't be surprised to hear: "get off the bleeping field you bum!"

If I was at a baseball game, I wouldn't be surpirsed to hear: "Are you bleeping blind, that ball was right down the middle!!"

That is why your hypothetical doesn't apply, this is a football message board, not a church or school board.

IMO, we don't have to setup rules to the least common dominator, meaning we shouldn't be catering the rules to the prudest or crudest amongst us, but instead should be trying to define the middle ground that fits the majority of our community members that fall between the extremes.

I want to go to YOUR church.

Tned
01-06-2008, 06:10 PM

Well, you know they say that Catholics in dry counties all have a bottle under their seat in the car (that's at least what the non-Catholics say/think), so you know, every once in a while, someone hits the bottle before mass and you get some hecklers.... ;)

Tned
01-06-2008, 06:11 PM
Well, you know they say that Catholics in dry counties all have a bottle under their seat in the car (that's at least what the non-Catholics say/think), so you know, every once in a while, someone hits the bottle before mass and you get some hecklers.... ;)

Oops, just noticed the typo you highlighted, I thought you meant the drunken outbursts :D

dogfish
01-06-2008, 06:12 PM
I thought I would put my 2 cents in on this subject. I dont find any words offensive really, just one. Its starts with a c and ends with a t. Besides that nothing bothers me too much.

what's wrong with carrot?

Day1BroncoFan
01-06-2008, 06:14 PM

We are a football message board, not a church or school message board. If I was posting on a church message board, I wouldn't expect to see images of scantily clad cheerleaders.

I thought this was a "G" rated sight and not an "R" rated sight.

My bad. Go on and post all the profainity you wish.

Tned
01-06-2008, 06:15 PM
what's wrong with carrot?

I thought she meant crochet. I figured someone made her learn how to crochet as a kid and now hates it with a passion.

Bronco9798
01-06-2008, 06:16 PM

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

slim
01-06-2008, 06:17 PM

My understanding was that it is a PG-13 site. Where did you get G from?

Tned
01-06-2008, 06:23 PM
Just to be clear, the main purpose of this thread is to actually define what 'we' are in terms of language/profanity.

Up to this point, we have been probably operating along the lines of what the FCC allows on network TV and/or PG-13 movies (with a bit less language, as they allow f-bombs), but that isn't really defined, but instead roughly the equivalent to how we have been operating if we had to compare it to something.

Day1BroncoFan
01-06-2008, 07:26 PM
Just to be clear, the main purpose of this thread is to actually define what 'we' are in terms of language/profanity.

Up to this point, we have been probably operating along the lines of what the FCC allows on network TV and/or PG-13 movies (with a bit less language, as they allow f-bombs), but that isn't really defined, but instead roughly the equivalent to how we have been operating if we had to compare it to something.

So you're saying that no one under 13 can come to this site or this is just in referrence only? I haven't seen any place that asks if you are 13 or older before signing up. Is this what you are proposing to do?

Tned
01-06-2008, 08:20 PM
So you're saying that no one under 13 can come to this site or this is just in referrence only? I haven't seen any place that asks if you are 13 or older before signing up. Is this what you are proposing to do?

I'm not aware of any website legislation that requires a website to comply with motion picture standards related to age and content.

I have said no such thing.

Bronco9798
01-06-2008, 08:23 PM
Some people thrive on drama.

MOtorboat
01-06-2008, 08:30 PM
I'm not aware of any website legislation that requires a website to comply with motion picture standards related to age and content.

I have said no such thing.

Do we have anyone younger than 16?

Tned
01-06-2008, 08:31 PM
Do we have anyone younger than 16?

Yes. At least a couple in the 14-16 range, from what I understand.

Poet
01-06-2008, 08:39 PM
Yes. At least a couple in the 14-16 range, from what I understand.

Anyone want to take a vote as to whether or not they have not heard or used the words in question before?

Tned
01-06-2008, 08:39 PM
Anyone want to take a vote as to whether or not they have not heard or used the words in question before?

To be honest, I don't think it is relevant.

Bronco9798
01-06-2008, 08:40 PM
They probably use worse things on their My Space.

Tned
01-06-2008, 08:44 PM
They probably use worse things on their My Space.

And as pointed out, in online video games (voice and text). Things like WTF are commonly used in online FPS games, such as when someone is shot by someone else on the same team. There are a lot of 10-16 year olds playing those games, and typing those messages.

However, that isn't the primary issue here. This comes down to what this community as a whole wants, there are plenty of people 20+ that don't feel that some language should be allowed, so age is a minimal part of the equation.

Instead, we need to decide where we stand, and then if that is clearly innapropriate for people under a certain age, then we need to put an age restriction on the message board.

Based on the responses so far, I don't see that being an issue in terms of language.

TXBRONC
01-06-2008, 09:11 PM

This sight is by no means "G" rated or "R" rated. I think were striving to be "PG 13" which by my way of looking at things is middle of the road.

Day1BroncoFan
01-06-2008, 09:21 PM
Well you ask me for my opinion and I gave it. I would prefer a "G" rated sight. There are forums that ask if you are 13 or older beforthe you can post. Your answer decides which forums on these sights you can view.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no angel. I cuss when I'm in the right situation and try not to cuss when it's not appropriate. I just think it's better not to do it when you know it will offend others. I think everyone knows it will offend others on this board. Why be offensive if you don't have to?

Just a thought. It will be what it is anyway. If you strive to have a "PG13" sight then just have one, don't bother to ask me what I want and then tell me what you're going to do anyway.

TXBRONC
01-06-2008, 09:30 PM
Well you ask me for my opinion and I gave it. I would prefer a "G" rated sight. There are forums that ask if you are 13 or older beforthe you can post. Your answer decides which forums on these sights you can view.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no angel. I cuss when I'm in the right situation and try not to cuss when it's not appropriate. I just think it's better not to do it when you know it will offend others. I think everyone knows it will offend others on this board. Why be offensive if you don't have to?

Just a thought. It will be what it is anyway. If you strive to have a "PG13" sight then just have one, don't bother to ask me what I want and then tell me what you're going to do anyway.

What's wrong with getting your input? I gave my impression of the sight as it is right now you said you would prefer it be rated "G". I don't see how this wasted your time.

Tned
01-06-2008, 09:54 PM

Ok, I'm not sure what is going on with your responses, but I am guessing you just don't understand what we are trying to accomplish. So, let me set the stage for you.

We put a set of rules in place four months ago when the forums were created. Now that we have been up and running for a while (vs. the week or so in when we created the rules), we are taking another look at where we stand. At BroncosForums, all rules and decisions are made by an advisory board, and they base their decisions on input from these Town Hall discusssions.

What Tx and I said, was that up until this point we have been shooting for something that is along the lines of what you see on prime time network TV or possibly a PG-13 movie (but with more language restrictions).

The whole reason for tihs thread is not entertainment, it is to guage what the community members want, so the advisory board can determine if changes need to be made to the rules, or how they are interpreted.

BroncoBJ
01-07-2008, 03:36 AM
10 pages full of replies?
Wow, I need to view this site 24/7. :lol:

I'll read the replies later but heres my short answers on everything:

No, I think thats a common word nowadays so no need to censor it.

No, If I want to say Phillip Rivers is a little B*tch then I think I should. :lol: Plus its also a female dog some say.

I never use this word anyways so I dont care.

Again I dont really consider it to bad. People might say this is a Sh*tty game or I feel like Sh*t after blowing that 20 point lead... ect... People will say it.

Yea there probably should be censors on this one. Its a pretty vulgar word and most people think its the worst word in the book.

Another word that I really dont use so I dont care much but it really isn't too bad.

Acronyms:

There is NOTHING wrong with What the hell/heck. This one should not be censored at all. I dont say WTH much though.

WTF (what the fu**)?
Its just internet talk. Alot of times when I say it I dont even mean Fu**. Its just a habit word so I dont think it should be censored.

I've never heard of it before so do whatever you want with this one. lol

**** (shut the fu** up)?
Sometimes I feel like saying this in the smack section so dont censor this one either. :lol:

Nothing wrong with this. People like to express emotion on what was funny plus I use to say this a lot.

Pretty much the same as LMAO. Nothing wrong with it. No one uses it to intend to swear. Just an emotion to say thier laughing.

Another one that I've never heard of so whatever.

Eh, I dont use this one much so its another one that wont bother me.

But all in all I think that all the acronyms shouldn't be censored. People dont mean it in a vulgar way. Its just internet lingo.
Also did you make some of them up like SNAFU and FUBAR? Damn, that sounds like some random stuff you just threw together because I've never seen that anywhere before.

Also what about videos? If someone posts a video from youtube or something that contains bad language or sexual contact or anything of that sort? I know some places dont like it and some dont care. IMO Its not bad at all. Its another persons risk to leave a site not names broncoforums.

But I'll think of more later.

Hawgdriver
01-07-2008, 04:03 AM
10 pages full of replies?
Wow, I need to view this site 24/7. :lol:

I'll read the replies later but heres my short answers on everything:

No, I think thats a common word nowadays so no need to censor it.

No, If I want to say Phillip Rivers is a little B*tch then I think I should. :lol: Plus its also a female dog some say.

I never use this word anyways so I dont care.

Again I dont really consider it to bad. People might say this is a Sh*tty game or I feel like Sh*t after blowing that 20 point lead... ect... People will say it.

Yea there probably should be censors on this one. Its a pretty vulgar word and most people think its the worst word in the book.

Another word that I really dont use so I dont care much but it really isn't too bad.

Acronyms:

There is NOTHING wrong with What the hell/heck. This one should not be censored at all. I dont say WTH much though.

WTF (what the fu**)?
Its just internet talk. Alot of times when I say it I dont even mean Fu**. Its just a habit word so I dont think it should be censored.

I've never heard of it before so do whatever you want with this one. lol

**** (shut the fu** up)?
Sometimes I feel like saying this in the smack section so dont censor this one either. :lol:

Nothing wrong with this. People like to express emotion on what was funny plus I use to say this a lot.

Pretty much the same as LMAO. Nothing wrong with it. No one uses it to intend to swear. Just an emotion to say thier laughing.

Another one that I've never heard of so whatever.

Eh, I dont use this one much so its another one that wont bother me.

But all in all I think that all the acronyms shouldn't be censored. People dont mean it in a vulgar way. Its just internet lingo.
Also did you make some of them up like SNAFU and FUBAR? Damn, that sounds like some random stuff you just threw together because I've never seen that anywhere before.

Also what about videos? If someone posts a video from youtube or something that contains bad language or sexual contact or anything of that sort? I know some places dont like it and some dont care. IMO Its not bad at all. Its another persons risk to leave a site not names broncoforums.

But I'll think of more later.

:dito:

I think a little more language leniency would be nice. I wouldn't always use it, but since I prefer a more complete adult dialog to one in which free communication is limited, that would suit me better. I visit this board for that reason, so I think targeting that audience would be wise. I don't care for careless vulgar language, but the choice use of some foul language does enhance the quality of this board.

Of course, that opens the door for people to abuse it, so you might have to take those freedoms away if they aren't used properly.

Poet
01-07-2008, 07:31 AM
To be honest, I don't think it is relevant.

It very much is. If the "rating" of the site is ranked or has been ranked on G or R or PG or PG-13 or whatever I would point out that those are ranked on ages. And to be honest if everyone has heard and already knows about the words than that very much matters in my opinion sir.

SR
01-07-2008, 07:37 AM
The way I see it is that no matter where we settle, it's still going to be too much for those people who want complete censorship and they'll continue to whine and cry about people being crude or using fowl language. I say, if you're not ballsy enough to tell some random person you hear drop an f-bomb in the middle of the shopping mall, you shouldn't be ballsy enough to tell random people on a message board how they should, or shouldn't be talking.

Tned
01-07-2008, 08:02 AM
It very much is. If the "rating" of the site is ranked or has been ranked on G or R or PG or PG-13 or whatever I would point out that those are ranked on ages. And to be honest if everyone has heard and already knows about the words than that very much matters in my opinion sir.

It doesn't in this sense. Plenty of people have heard the words, but still find them offensive. We probably only have a small percent of people on the site that believe it should be an 'anything' goes site, and at the same time, a samall percentage that would prefer no cursing, even ass or damn or wth. I sometimes refer to these extremes as the prudest and crudest amongst us, just cause it rhymes :D. It is unlikely we are going to cater to either of those groups, because I believe (but this discussion is supposed to help diefine it) that the majority of us fit between those extremes.

The way I see it is that no matter where we settle, it's still going to be too much for those people who want complete censorship and they'll continue to whine and cry about people being crude or using fowl language. I say, if you're not ballsy enough to tell some random person you hear drop an f-bomb in the middle of the shopping mall, you shouldn't be ballsy enough to tell random people on a message board how they should, or shouldn't be talking.

I think it comes down to frequency and 'comfort of home'. Meaning, if you are at the mall, you will here it some, but it will be random, you might here it, but you could go to the mall 10 times and never here it. People that come to a message board and are 'regulars', consider it a type of 'home' or regular visting ground, like a local pub to go and chat. So, they are going to set the bar higher, because of the amount of time they are exposed to what is typed here vs. the stanger walking by in the mall.

However, you are correct we cannot please everyone. I don't think it is fair to the 150 or so people that log in every day to set rules to the least common denominator, meaning, if 'anyone' is offended by ass, don't allow it, if anyone is offended by 'wth', don't use it, etc... If we take that approach, then the language used would be equivalent to a church, not a pub or a football game, and the images allowed would be closer to the sisters of St. Boniface calendar, than the Denver Broncos Cheerleaders' calendar.

So, if we think of a bell curve, I think the advisory board will need to look at all of this feedback and then try and find rules that fit the 80-90% in the middle, rather than the small percent at each extreme (prudest or crudest).

SR
01-07-2008, 08:10 AM
I agree tned, especially about the part regarding the regulars.

And for those who gripe about curse words; don't use them. If you want to judge people's vocabularies based on the language they use, then you can be the judgemental one. For those who want to judge people who use curse words and dislike it because of your faith, think about Matthew 7:1-5.

Tned
01-07-2008, 08:17 AM
I agree tned, especially about the part regarding the regulars.

And for those who gripe about curse words; don't use them. If you want to judge people's vocabularies based on the language they use, then you can be the judgemental one. For those who want to judge people who use curse words and dislike it because of your faith, think about Matthew 7:1-5.

Judging people and not wanting to be exposed to it or forced to read it are two different things.

For instance, if only 2% of our regulars feel we should be able to post f-bombs and the "c" word, should the other 98% be forced to read it? True, a great number of those 98% probably won't care much, but maybe 40-50% really would dislike seeing the f-bomb, and probably 90% of women and a lot of men, woulld not like seeing the "c" word.

So, I don't thnk we can go to, if you don't like it, just don't use it, because since this is 'all of our' community, I think we need to try and setup the paramaters that work for the vast majority of us, which means the closer you get to each extreme, the site will be considered too strict or not strict enough, but for most of us, hopefully, it will be a nice compromise.

SR
01-07-2008, 08:27 AM
I don't want the f-bomb to be allowed, nor do I want the "c" word to be allowed...

Tned
01-07-2008, 08:33 AM
I don't want the f-bomb to be allowed, nor do I want the "c" word to be allowed...

Exactly, but that is why I used those as the example, because there is only a small percentage that do. In the same way almost all of us agree that the bar should be at least that high, many (surprisingly) also feel sh!t should be exluded, and some others. So, after getting all of this feedback, then the advisory board needs to try and find a middle ground that will make the most members both comfortable and happy.

Ok, without that, I am off to work.

Keep the feeback coming in everyone. Not everyone has answered the questions in the first post, so please do so. The advisory board can only make decisions that represent the community's desire, if we here from everyone in the community.

Bronco9798
01-07-2008, 09:50 AM
I say delete all cuss words but don't mess with the acro's. They are harmless in my opinion.

Tned
01-07-2008, 09:55 AM
I say delete all cuss words but don't mess with the acro's. They are harmless in my opinion.

I can't say I ever sounded out ROTFLMFAO... It takes too much brain computing power and wears me out for the next three hour...

SR
01-07-2008, 09:59 AM
I can't say I ever sounded out ROTFLMFAO... It takes too much brain computing power and wears me out for the next three hour...

rolling on the floor laughing my f-ing ass off

Bronco9798
01-07-2008, 10:01 AM

I just know it means somebody is laughing and enjoyed what they just read. I really dont think too many people sound them out. The Brain is quick to memorize and you can read right over the acro without saying it or seeing the words involved. ROFLMFAO is better than reading SH*T, F*CK, and other words that most people don't want to see. You can scan over a few acros's a lot better than you can words. Cuss words stick out, the acro's really don't.

MileHighWrath
01-07-2008, 10:05 AM
rolling of the floor laughing my freaking ass off ... why in the world would that be banned?

NightTrainLayne
01-07-2008, 10:46 AM

====================
Questions to answer
====================

Specific Words:

Acronyms:

WTF (what the fu**)?

**** (shut the fu** up)?

I don't think ass or ******* needs to be cencored. If someone tries to get around it using other characters such as $ or ! it doesn't bother me too much, but it wouldn't bother me if those got edited either. . .just more work for the mods . . .

Regarding the censor, I think that it should be o.k. to post a word that is removed by the censor resulting in: ****. I learn very quickly to avoid those words and come up with a better alternative, but seeing the asterisks doesn't bother me at all, and it serves it's intended purpose.

The acronyms are all fine by me as well. Many of these are already parts of our society's lexicon, and the others aren't far behind.

Tned
01-07-2008, 10:53 AM
rolling on the floor laughing my f-ing ass off

I know what it means, what I'm saying is that when I see it posted, I just 'know' somebody is posting that they think something is funny, I don't sound out those words in my head.

Same with LOL, it just means funny, I don't sound out "laughing out loud" or "lots of laughs" I just know it means someone is laughing.

That's all I meant. I 'know' what they mean, or what they originally meant in terms of the words, but in practice I see them as:

LMAO = funny
ROFLMAO/ROFLMFAO = Really funny
WTH/WTF = ?? question/confusion -- It's an exclamation of disbelief in something that just happened.

MileHighWrath
01-07-2008, 11:00 AM
The point I have tried to make is that the acronyms do NOT specifically reflect certain words. Funny how those that are so offended by the F-bombs will jump to the conclusion that WTF means what the f**k and not what the fudge. Same with all of the rest of them.

I understand tned's generalized comprehension and honestly I don't sound out the individual words either. But how do you ban something that doesn't necessarily say/mean anything vulgar or offensive?

And how many more times will everyone beat this dead horse before decisions are made? Seems like everyone has made their point at least 3 times in this thread.

Tned
01-07-2008, 01:00 PM
And how many more times will everyone beat this dead horse before decisions are made? Seems like everyone has made their point at least 3 times in this thread.

Not everyone has chimed in. Yes, there are some that have commented several times, and that is fine. The bigger issue is that we are leaving it open for those that will be commenting for the first time. We want to hear from as many people as possible before the advisory board makes a decision.

MileHighWrath
01-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Pardon my impatience. The thread is only 2 days old so I suppose it should still be left open.

But WTF is everyone? (J/K)

slim
01-07-2008, 02:23 PM

Should the word B!tch be censored? No

Should the word whore be censored? No

Should f-bombs be censored? Yes

Should the word b@stard be censored? No

Acronyms:

WTH (what the hell/heck)? This is fine

WTF (what the fu**)? This is fine

FUBAR (fouled/fu**ed up beyond all recognition)? This is fine

**** (shut the fu** up)? This is fine

LMAO (Laughing my ass off)? This is fine

LMFAO (Laughing my fu**ing ass off)? This is fine

SNAFU (situation normal, all fouled/fu**ed up)? This is fine

SOB (son of a b!tch/bum)? This is fine

I don't see why any ancronym would be censored. :elefant:

Hawgdriver
01-07-2008, 03:30 PM
I don't see why any ancronym would be censored. :elefant:

****! :lol:

MileHighWrath
01-07-2008, 03:32 PM

Shut That Fracas up!

slim
01-07-2008, 03:35 PM

Why you son of a ***** :elefant: :laugh:

pnbronco
01-07-2008, 04:57 PM
I just know it means somebody is laughing and enjoyed what they just read. I really dont think too many people sound them out. The Brain is quick to memorize and you can read right over the acro without saying it or seeing the words involved. ROFLMFAO is better than reading SH*T, F*CK, and other words that most people don't want to see. You can scan over a few acros's a lot better than you can words. Cuss words stick out, the acro's really don't.

You are right. I'm not sure why I guess the brain really does a scan and just gets the jest without focusing on the words. The only acro I'm still on fence with is ****, and it's more that I don't want to the have the mods to have to police whether it's an attack or between friends.

MOtorboat
01-07-2008, 05:00 PM
You are right. I'm not sure why I guess the brain really does a scan and just gets the jest without focusing on the words. The only acro I'm still on fence with is ****, and it's more that I don't want to the have the mods to have to police whether it's an attack or between friends.

Well, I'm pretty sure that slim just needs to be banned...you know...for the hell of it...

slim
01-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Well, I'm pretty sure that slim just needs to be banned...you know...for the hell of it...

****...:laugh: :lol: :elefant:

MOtorboat
01-07-2008, 05:03 PM

See........

Hawgdriver
01-07-2008, 05:46 PM

ROTFLMFAOQUICHELORRAIN!!!11

DallasChief
01-07-2008, 05:54 PM
I like to swear. I like to read swear words but I realize that having an unfiltered forum is not everyone's cup of tea.

I think it should only be the seven dirty words.
****, piss, ****, ****, **********, mother****er, and tits

tubby
01-07-2008, 06:08 PM

balls

Hawgdriver
01-07-2008, 06:13 PM
Can we say *****, in the context of, Philip Rivers is such a *****? Serious question.

weirdness--I get * for one, and not the other...so confused. :confused:

ok, I think the question mark fooled it. So I guess that's a NO. Thank you!

Day1BroncoFan
01-07-2008, 09:26 PM
I'm OK for the most part with acronyms. The misspelled profanity I am totally against. For the record, I am one that does sound out the words. Certain acronyms I am against and have posted previously to that end.

Tned
01-07-2008, 09:30 PM
I'm OK for the most part with acronyms. The misspelled profanity I am totally against. For the record, I am one that does sound out the words. Certain acronyms I am against and have posted previously to that end.

Do you sound them out with f-bombs, freakin, frackin or friggin (for the "f" ones)?

One reason I ask, is last night alone, I watched two shows (scrubs and desperate housewives) where they said friggin and frick it, and on battlestar and many other places now, they use frack and frackin.

I know I have often used friggin.

Day1BroncoFan
01-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Do you sound them out with f-bombs, freakin, frackin or friggin (for the "f" ones)?

One reason I ask, is last night alone, I watched two shows (scrubs and desperate housewives) where they said friggin and frick it, and on battlestar and many other places now, they use frack and frackin.

I try to use friggin but am trying to change that to froggin. I used to go froggin when I was in Texas and it was a fun thing. It's kind of hard to change the habits for me. :D

MOtorboat
01-07-2008, 09:37 PM
I try to use friggin but am trying to change that to froggin. I used to go froggin when I was in Texas and it was a fun thing. It's kind of hard to change the habits for me. :D

Ummm...You used to go froggin' when you were in Texas...well, since your friggin' is now froggin', I'm going to have to ask you to elaborate...

Tned
01-07-2008, 09:42 PM
Ummm...You used to go froggin' when you were in Texas...well, since your friggin' is now froggin', I'm going to have to ask you to elaborate...

I thought froggin was giggin??? I am so :confused:

Day1BroncoFan
01-07-2008, 09:52 PM
I thought froggin was giggin??? I am so :confused:

Well, the guy that is from Texas we used to go with called it froggin. We had some poles with sharp thingies on the end and we'd go on out in the middle of the night to some mosquito infested place and try to stick frogs. If that didn't pan out we'd go to the jettys and try for some flounders. When we went for the flounders he called it giggin. I personally don't see the difference except for the prey. Maybe he just said that for us out of staters. How do I know. I think we really went to drink and be merry.

MOtorboat
01-07-2008, 09:58 PM
Well, the guy that is from Texas we used to go with called it froggin. We had some poles with sharp thingies on the end and we'd go on out in the middle of the night to some mosquito infested place and try to stick frogs. If that didn't pan out we'd go to the jettys and try for some flounders. When we went for the flounders he called it giggin. I personally don't see the difference except for the prey. Maybe he just said that for us out of staters. How do I know. I think we really went to drink and be merry.

Is that like Snipe hunting...have you heard of Jackalopes?

Day1BroncoFan
01-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Is that like Snipe hunting...have you heard of Jackalopes?

I shot a jackalope once in Wyoming by golly. Never hunted any Snipes, Wesley or other wise. :elefant:

TXBRONC
01-07-2008, 10:16 PM

It's friggin alright with me that you use the word friggin. :D

BroncoBJ
01-09-2008, 03:02 AM
:lol: I never say Friggin really. I dont know what I say.
I need to record myself I guess :elefant:

But When I think something is really funny then heres what I do:

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o61/Portis26AnimatedPics/ROFL/thlaugh4.gif

SR
01-09-2008, 03:07 AM
Well, regardless of what the rules end up being, I'm still going to type curse words in my posts and if they end up staying **** or the actual word is not relevant.

Zweems56
01-09-2008, 04:51 AM
:lol: I never say Friggin really. I dont know what I say.
I need to record myself I guess :elefant:

But When I think something is really funny then heres what I do:

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o61/Portis26AnimatedPics/ROFL/thlaugh4.gif

jc4mvp.. your posts are enough to cause an epileptic seizure.

BroncoBJ
01-09-2008, 05:41 AM
:lol: What do you mean by that? ? :mad:

And people in my family have epilepsy actually.

fcspikeit
01-09-2008, 02:21 PM

I sound them out with the F word. But as I said before, I believe that is because I came on the computer later. I believe those brought up on the computer just see them as words.

IMO the acronyms are a lot better then the actual words. I also see WTF and **** as being worse then ROFLMFAO, But thats just me.

When I filled out your question's. I answered to what I felt would be appropriate for my 13 year old nieces or nephews. I voted not to allow a lot of the acronyms, knowing most would be allowed. I am OK with that.

Any time you are trying to set the allowance off of a groups view of morality, normaly the most extreme at both ends gets ruled out and you settle for somewhere in the middle. Therefore, a lot of us who don't want the bad stuff, set the bottom low. Knowing if the bottom was somewhere in the middle we would end up settling closer to the top, instead of the middle where we wanted to be all along.

IMO, **** posses a greater potential of harm then the other acronyms. But if we allow it, we should just allow it and not force the mods to have to rule the intent on a case by case bases.

After all, If we are going with the acronyms not having a specific meaning and its up to the reader to understand as they choose, then what is wrong with telling someone to Shut The Freak Up? Even if its done in disagreement.

SR
01-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Why don't we just make the forums visible to members only and avoid this entire arguement so no one has to worry about any 13 year olds seeing it. For crying out loud...

Broncospsycho77
01-09-2008, 03:06 PM
Why don't we just make the forums visible to members only and avoid this entire arguement so no one has to worry about any 13 year olds seeing it. For crying out loud...

I think the discussion is intended more for the 13 year olds who are peaking over their parnents' shoulders when on the forums.

DallasChief
01-09-2008, 03:06 PM

Because apparently a great number of people enjoy reading internet message boards with their children.

The only reason that I favor any filtering is because I know that sometimes "dirty" words can be picked up by filtering devices at work. And I don't need another board blocked by my work.

And I think censoring acronyms is ridiculous. I have a limited brain capacity and with a limited brain capacity comes a small vocabulary. I need swear words in some form. It's a handicap. I shouldn't be judged or I may be forced to file a lawsuit. :D

DallasChief
01-09-2008, 03:07 PM
I think the discussion is intended more for the 13 year olds who are peaking over their parnents' shoulders when on the forums.

Shouldn't children be in their rooms playing violent video games and not snooping over their parents shoulders? :D

Ricky
01-09-2008, 03:10 PM
The following post was made to voice my own humble and useless opinion. No animals or insects were placed into harmful conditions or injured while making this post.

I feel that all the cuss word should be censored or banned whether they are typed straight up or they use other characters to fool the censor. But I don't see why any acronym should be censored. In my opinion, any cursing that is used to degrade another user should result in harsh penalties. The Lord's name should never be used in vain or in jest. This includes his son, our Savior. There are other religions such as Buddhists and Muslims that wish for their deity to be respected as well.

SR
01-09-2008, 03:13 PM
Because apparently a great number of people enjoy reading internet message boards with their children.

The only reason that I favor any filtering is because I know that sometimes "dirty" words can be picked up by filtering devices at work. And I don't need another board blocked by my work.

And I think censoring acronyms is ridiculous. I have a limited brain capacity and with a limited brain capacity comes a small vocabulary. I need swear words in some form. It's a handicap. I shouldn't be judged or I may be forced to file a lawsuit. :D

When I was 13, the last thing I was worried about was an internet message board. I was too busy finding out how to masturbate and how to dominate the whole world in NFL Blitz on Nintendo 64.

SR
01-09-2008, 03:15 PM
The following post was made to voice my own humble and useless opinion. No animals or insects were placed into harmful conditions or injured while making this post.

I feel that all the cuss word should be censored or banned whether they are typed straight up or they use other characters to fool the censor. But I don't see why any acronym should be censored. In my opinion, any cursing that is used to degrade another user should result in harsh penalties. The Lord's name should never be used in vain or in jest. This includes his son, our Savior. There are other religions such as Buddhists and Muslims that wish for their deity to be respected as well.

Bla. Not everyone here is a Bible thumper and not everyone here cares about taking the Lord's name in vain. I don't do it and I won't, but not everyone here cares about that kind of trivial stuff.

Broncospsycho77
01-09-2008, 03:16 PM
When I was 13, the last thing I was worried about was an internet message board. I was too busy finding out how to masturbate and how to dominate the whole world in NFL Blitz on Nintendo 64.

I swear that game was rigged... the computer would always win on a Hail Mary to win the game... Best play: Da Bomb.

DallasChief
01-09-2008, 03:16 PM

Exactly.

You rule. It's no wonder you're my second best friend.

Bears beat Battlestar Galactia.

Ricky
01-09-2008, 03:19 PM
Bla. Not everyone here is a Bible thumper and not everyone here cares about taking the Lord's name in vain. I don't do it and I won't, but not everyone here cares about that kind of trivial stuff.

Again just my opinion, but bla not everyone cares about what you think is trivial.

MOtorboat
01-09-2008, 03:20 PM

So true, DC. So true.

Tned
01-09-2008, 03:35 PM

SR, I would say that isn't the problem/solution.

We have teenager members, so that doesn't solve the problem. Beyond that, even if we had an 18+ age limit on the site, many of the people opposed to the curses don't want to read them themselves, they aren't just worried about the youngsters.

That's why we need to find a middle ground that will please the middle, even if the extremes aren't 100% happy.

fcspikeit
01-09-2008, 03:44 PM

I figure your just trying to be funny with this, However, it's not just about the kids reading over your shoulder. 13 year old kids can sign up and be members here. If their parents don't approve of the content here they will tell them not to come. That's what I ment. When I took the questionnaire, I answered to what I felt would be appropriate for my children to see on a football message board.

This is a very good point.

OB
01-09-2008, 03:49 PM

====================
Questions to answer
====================

Specific Words:

Acronyms:

WTF (what the fu**)?

**** (shut the fu** up)?

Let the swearin begin biatches :woot:

T - u prolly already knew what I was gonna freakin say though huh ;)

Seriously I was just thinking about this today w/o knowing this thread was out there - swearing just for the fuc of it should be ok - but you shouldnt be able to call someone a fuc head (unless they are a raiders fan, DS not incl. if you call him one I'll have to go off on your sorry ass :D )

But I know we have a lot of people on here that it really does bother - so IDK cause I really love everyone here and want everyone to be happy :D

OB
01-09-2008, 03:52 PM

Plus, what the Freaks do not understand is how much room tned has given all of you as new members of this board, and it was not what we had for boundaries prior to your coming on board. However, some change is good, not denying that.

Seriously - you guys get to swear and im getting censored still - I feel like someone is playing favorites :coffee:

OB
01-09-2008, 03:57 PM

My friend - "****!"

I guess.....

When you tell Whodey to **** no one minds :D - by i digress - his ass never comes here anymore (i censored myself for you guys on that one ;) )

BroncoBJ
01-09-2008, 04:12 PM
Kids have been swearing since 4th, 5th, 6th, even 7th grade.
Seeing it on a message board wont hurt anyone.

I've never been offended by what someone has said verbally before.
Sticks and stones can break my bones but words on a message board will never hurt me. :elefant:

DallasChief
01-09-2008, 04:14 PM
Sticks and stones can break my bones but words on a message board will never hurt me. :elefant:

I wouldn't say that on a Chuck Norris message board.

OB
01-09-2008, 04:18 PM

There was no internet when I was 13 :lol::lol::lol: - Hell there werent even PC's - I didnt start using computers in school till I was a junior - and then it was learning how to like draw a square by typing code or something - dot matrix printers - boy am i dating myself with this post :D

OB
01-09-2008, 04:21 PM
Kids have been swearing since 4th, 5th, 6th, even 7th grade.
Seeing it on a message board wont hurt anyone.

I've never been offended by what someone has said verbally before.

Its true - ive seen him called everything under the sun on both MB's and he just doesnt go away :D

j/k Jay you know I love ya :hug:

Day1BroncoFan
01-09-2008, 05:25 PM

When I was 13 I was outside playing with my Fanner Fifty's, playing ditchem and wishing my parents would buy a TV so we could watch the one channel we could get at the time.

Times change.

MileHighWrath
01-09-2008, 05:47 PM
Again .... if you interpret the F in WTF, ****, LMFAO, etc. as the word f**k, that's your problem, get your mind out of the gutter.

Acronyms leave it entirely up to the reader to determine what each letter stands for.

tubby
01-09-2008, 06:10 PM
I like being able to say Bitches. :cool:

Bitches.

Tned
01-09-2008, 06:15 PM
Again .... if you interpret the F in WTF, ****, LMFAO, etc. as the word f**k, that's your problem, get your mind out of the gutter.

Acronyms leave it entirely up to the reader to determine what each letter stands for.

ABM=
anything but microsoft
Anti-Ballistic Missile

TXBRONC
01-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Please give input on each of these questions:

====================
Questions to answer
====================

Specific Words:

Should the word Ass be censored? yes

Should the word B!tch be censored? no

Should the word whore be censored? no

Should f-bombs be censored? no

Should people be able to get around the word censor by adding letters like $ or ! (a$$ or sh!t)? No theys shouldn't be censored

If a person posts a word that is **** out by the word censor, is that ok, or should the post be edited/deleted and the poster warned (examples "**** this" or "the team played like ****")? If its alread filtered out then I don't see why it would need to be edited any further.

Acronyms:

WTH (what the hell/heck)? yes

WTF (what the fu**)? no

FUBAR (fouled/fu**ed up beyond all recognition)? no

**** (shut the fu** up)? no

LMAO (Laughing my ass off)? yes

LMFAO (Laughing my fu**ing ass off)? no

SNAFU (situation normal, all fouled/fu**ed up)? no

SOB (son of a b!tch/bum)? no

While I said no to all the uses of the 'F' word I can deal with if its allowed.

Jody
01-09-2008, 08:43 PM

====================
Questions to answer
====================

Specific Words:

Should people be able to get around the word censor by adding letters like $ or ! (a$$ or sh!t)? No theys shouldn't be censored

If a person posts a word that is **** out by the word censor, is that ok, or should the post be edited/deleted and the poster warned (examples "**** this" or "the team played like ****")? If its alread filtered out then I don't see why it would need to be edited any further.

Acronyms:

WTF (what the fu**)? no

Copy cat. :D

fcspikeit
01-09-2008, 09:26 PM

====================
Questions to answer
====================

Specific Words:

Acronyms:

WTF (what the fu**)? no

Did you write No when you ment yes?

"Should f-bombs be censored? no"

Just wondering because you said no to all the the F words in any of the acronyms, yet it would appear you said Yes to allow the F-bomb?

Rex
01-09-2008, 09:30 PM
Can I say.........." fo shizzle bizzle"?

KCL
01-09-2008, 09:35 PM
Can I say.........." fo shizzle bizzle"?

only if your snoop dog.:D

Rex
01-09-2008, 09:35 PM
only if your snoop dog.:D

Drop it likes its Hot...Kizzle Cizzle Lizzle.

SR
01-10-2008, 01:41 AM
Again just my opinion, but bla not everyone cares about what you think is trivial.

So now you're getting defensive because not all of us are Bible thumpers? Let people take the Lord's name in vain. It's not on you if they do. Let people speak the way they want. If they are idiots, let them be idiots. Who are you to try and change the way people speak?

Tned
01-10-2008, 02:34 AM
Thanks everyone for their input. The advisory board is now evaluating and discussing all the great input. We will soon, provide new guidelines in terms of what language and acronyms are acceptable.

Thanks again for taking the time to help us define what BroncosForums is and will be.