PDA

View Full Version : The Morning After: Week 8

Denver Native (Carol)
11-02-2009, 01:53 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9531

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Long before their plane landed in Denver, the Broncos had a concrete idea of their agenda for Monday morning.

Number one on the priority list was entrenching themselves in the film room to correct their mistakes from Sunday's 30-7 loss to the Ravens.

Andra Davis recorded a team-high eight tackles and a sack against Baltimore's offense. When asked what the team would be eyeing on game tape, there were no limits to his response.

"Everything," Davis said. "Everything. Everything that gave us problems today, and we're going to focus on the things that we did well. So we've got a lot of stuff to focus on, and a lot of work."

As a fourteen-year veteran, Brian Dawkins has seen busy Mondays before. He noted that the film sessions will help the team diagnose its mistakes in greater detail, specifically citing missed gap assignments that helped the Ravens gain more yards in the second half.

Dawkins added that the team will find those mistakes to be fixable.

"This is not the first time … Everybody's locker room has lost games," Dawkins said. "I've lost games before. You learn from your mistakes. You try not to make those mistakes. You practice whatever you need to practice and you move on."

PLAYING FOR 60 MINUTES

In their six wins this season, the Broncos have demonstrated a commitment to playing football for 60 minutes.

Sunday's scoreboard in Baltimore did little to stop Denver from continuing that trend.

Trailing by 23 points, Kyle Orton and the offense picked up possession at their own 20-yard line. With 1:59 left in regulation, Orton marched the Broncos 52 yards downfield, completing six passes to six different receivers on the drive, until the clock struck zero.

One of those six receivers was Jabar Gaffney, who had three catches for a team-high 43 yards on the afternoon. At that juncture, he said the effort was not even a question in the huddle.

"We're not going to quit," Gaffney said. "I mean, there's time on the clock. We still have to play. No matter how far down or up, we've still got to play."

That drive was a microcosm of what the Broncos are aiming to accomplish before Monday night's contest against Pittsburgh. Orton said the entire unit needs to produce a better performance, but took responsibility as the leader behind center.

"I'm the leader of this offense, and when it doesn't go right, it's on me," Orton said. "So we'll go back to work and make sure we get things fixed for next week."

BERGER MAKES BRONCOS DEBUT

Six days after signing with the club, Mitch Berger had an active afternoon in Baltimore.

Berger booted eight punts for a net average of 36.3 yards. The Ravens had little room to make any significant returns, as four of those kicks were fair catches.

That latter result was what stood out most in the eyes of Head Coach Josh McDaniels.

"[He had] good hang time, gave our gunners the opportunity to get down there and cover some, create some fair catches," McDaniels said. "I don't think they had too many opportunities to just catch it and take it back on us. Again, we're worried more about the net than the gross, and I thought he did a decent job of giving us the opportunity to down the punt there before the half. But that will get better. It will keep getting better."