PDA

View Full Version : Offseason Primer: Kansas City Chiefs

MOtorboat
01-05-2008, 10:58 AM
So what do the Chiefs need to do? Well, a lot. They should start with firing Carl Peterson, but we won’t go there, so in the draft and free agency what do the Chiefs need to do to improve next season?

It’s going to be tough, because it all starts at the quarterback position and the Chiefs have been pathetic in evaluating young quarterbacks. In fact, they never have really developed a quarterback. It’s something I don’t think they feel confident in doing.

Brodie Croyle has been atrocious, and frail. Gee, that kind of sounds like his M.O. at Alabama, doesn’t it? He has a 70.5 quarterback rating (107-181, 1,032 yards, 5 TD, 6 INT) in eight games. He’s started five, and the Chiefs have lost all five of those games. So is Croyle the future. Probably not.

Damon Huard has been better. Not a lot better, but better. He has a quarterback rating of 76.8, and he led the Chiefs to an overachieving 4-3, before getting hurt and allowing the door to swing open for Croyle.

Both quarterbacks are under contract for next season with the Chiefs, but they’ve proven that they are mediocre. Some of it was the offensive line, which granted, was pretty pathetic, but neither of these two quarterbacks are a starter in the NFL.

So where do they go? Well, the two most enticing possibilities out there for teams with quarterback problems are obviously Donovan McNabb – via trade – and Derek Anderson – via restricted free agency. Both ways, you have to give up something for either of them. The question is, will the Chiefs want to give up anything for either of those two players. The other veteran possibility is Chad Pennington. It would require a trade, and most likely draft picks, but Pennington is no longer going to be the starter in New York and Herm Edwards is familiar with Pennington. Pennington – who will be 32 going into next year – could be a good stop-gap for the Chiefs as they are truly rebuilding and may not be that good next year, anyway.

Clearly, the quarterback position is the major offseason question facing the Chiefs, but there are others.

One starts in a place of strength – at least on the field – for the Chiefs. And that’s with running back Larry Johnson. He broke his foot, and for whatever reason, the Chiefs decided to drag it out and not actually put him on Injured Reserve. He’s clearly a malcontent, living in a fairly tame city with a small television market who wants out. Problem is, the Chiefs decided to pay him, and really missed their chance to trade him. Priest Holmes is finally gone, and Kolby Smith, though he did have a few good games, is clearly a career backup.

It wouldn’t hurt the Chiefs to try and find a sleeper-back in either free agency or the draft.

The offensive line was pathetic for the Chiefs this year. Neither quarterback had much time to throw, as the line allowed 55 sacks, good for worst in the NFL. That’s not good.

Damien McIntosh was brought in at left tackle, and that clearly wasn’t the solution. Though he’s been hurt, when he has played, he hasn’t stopped anyone, and the leg injury has hindered his run blocking and mobility. The Chiefs need to find a LT. They certainly could be a candidate for drafting Jake Long out of Michigan.

However, LT isn’t the only problem. Going into next season, the Chiefs will have a lot of experience at both guard positions – Brian Waters at LT and John Welbourn at RT – and at center – Casey Wiegmann. The problem is, they are aging. Waters will be 31 next season, Welbourn 32 and Wiegmann 35. Chris Terry and Kyle Turley, whoever you want to insert at RT, have both been pathetic.

The Chiefs may be served better by blowing up the offensive line and trying to start over. Drafting LT in the first round would be a good start, keeping Brian Waters to help that young LT would be a good move, but trying to find new players at the other three positions might not be a bad idea.

The Chiefs found the diamond in the wide receiver draft class last year in Dwayne Bowe, but he really is the only good wide receiver the Chiefs have. Eddie Kennison has looked OK for a few years, but his productivity has really dropped off. Jeff Webb and Samie Parker can’t catch, so the Chiefs probably need to look for a wide receiver, and with guys like Patrick Crayton and Bernard Berrian on the free agent market, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to try and sign a free agent wide receiver.

Tony Gonzalez is one of the best tight ends in the history of the league, and still has a few years left in him. The Chiefs probably should hang on to him, though there is some talk of trying to trade him.

On defense, the Chiefs actually look pretty good. The only real question mark is at cornerback where both Patrick Surtain and Ty Law are aging. Even with Jared Allen and Tamba Hali eating up offensive lines in passing situations, the Chiefs only had 14 interceptions, with only four of them – two each – coming from these former Pro Bowl players.

The two cornerbacks are still serviceable, and are under contract for next season, but the Chiefs probably should look to find a few young cornerbacks, not named Benny Sapp, to fill in for the veterans and to eventually replace them. In a draft not booming with cornerback talent, the Chiefs could take a flyer on a guy like Terrence Wheatley, out of Colorado, or Zack Bowman, out of Nebraska.

As stated above, the Chiefs look good along the defensive line with Jared Allen and Tamba Hali turning into one of the best young tandems at defensive end in the league. Alfonso Boone has been serviceable, but he’s clearly playing to give time for Tank Tyler to develop. Ron Edwards has been a surprise at the other tackle position.

The Chiefs are set at linebacker with Napoleon Harris in the middle, and Donnie Edwards and Derrick Johnson on the outsides. Though Edwards and Harris aren’t getting any younger, the Chiefs shouldn’t have to focus on linebacker this offseason.

The Chiefs are absolutely set at punter with Dustin Colquitt, who has been one of their best players the last two seasons. However, at kicker, they’ve got so many problems that they had to sign John Carney at the end of the season. Justin Medlock didn’t even make it to opening day and his replacement Dave Rayner wasn’t much better. Passing on Mason Crosby and drafting Justin Medlock – way too high, as well – is a mistake I think the Chiefs will regret for many years.

Clearly the Chiefs are in a rebuilding phase, and you have to wonder what Carl Peterson will do. He’s notorious for just trying to fill the holes with veterans – see: Damon Huard – instead of admitting that he needs to rebuild. Usually there’s at least one move by the Chiefs in the offseason that will leave you scratching your head – see: Justin Medlock – so we’ll just have to wait and see which move it is this season – you know, like, “with the fifth pick in the 2008 NFL draft, the Kansas City Chiefs select John Carlson, TE, Notre Dame.”

claymore
01-05-2008, 11:34 AM
Great read MB.

I think they need to return to their roots. O Line, this could be said about the Denver Broncos as well. They had one of the best O Lines ever, with mediocre talent around it (with exception to TG). Priest would have never put up the yards he did behind the current line, and neither would Trent Green.

They have a talented young reciever in Bowe, trade bait in LJ, and a real leader/Good guy in TG. If they at least shored up the left side of the line, I think there would be a dramatic improvement.

MOtorboat
01-05-2008, 11:46 AM
Great read MB.

I think they need to return to their roots. O Line, this could be said about the Denver Broncos as well. They had one of the best O Lines ever, with mediocre talent around it (with exception to TG). Priest would have never put up the yards he did behind the current line, and neither would Trent Green.

They have a talented young reciever in Bowe, trade bait in LJ, and a real leader/Good guy in TG. If they at least shored up the left side of the line, I think there would be a dramatic improvement.

Well, they've had to try and replace two hall-of-famers along the line in just two years, that's been extremely crippling. I think they missed the boat on trading LJ. Now, he's "damaged goods" with a big contract. Last year, they could have traded him before signing him to a big contract.

claymore
01-05-2008, 11:59 AM
Well, they've had to try and replace two hall-of-famers along the line in just two years, that's been extremely crippling. I think they missed the boat on trading LJ. Now, he's "damaged goods" with a big contract. Last year, they could have traded him before signing him to a big contract.I agree. I said that with Priest Holmes as well. They should have kept Blaylock as well. If I was CP, I would have traded Priest 2-3 years ago, and traded LJ last year on draft day. They could have possibly sniffed Joe Thomas, with LJ and a few picks.

What the Browns did this year really lets me know what a revamped line can do for you. They are not all world or anything, but they reall improved, and were able to take advantage of all the high draft pick skill positions they had like Winslow, and Edwards.

Bronco9798
01-05-2008, 12:33 PM
The Chiefs are a disaster. They will probably franchise Jared Allen again and make more mistakes this off season like they do every year. Herm Has no clue how to build an offense team and his time management in games is his biggest failure.

This team is a joke and an embarrassment to the NFL.

claymore
01-05-2008, 12:42 PM
Thank God they are in our Division............

Bronco9798
01-05-2008, 12:43 PM
I agree..Long live Carl!!!!!