PDA

View Full Version : My first newspaper article.

Poet
11-02-2009, 12:18 PM
This is a story that I wrote for the Southern Illinoisan, a newspaper located in Carbondale Illinois. It was published in their online edition and I'm unaware if they put it in print. That being said it was my first article that I've written which wasn't part of my college's newspaper and I was paid to do it. It was a great experience and it proved to me that this is what I really want to do with my life. I got to go up to the press box and the sidelines of the game. It was a blast.

Before you get to the article, I am aware of the typos. There was confusion between the paper and I as to when I was supposed to send them the article. I thought I was allowed a little more time than what I had, but it wasn't that big of a deal. They were busy.

Also, I'm posting this here because I think more people would see it and I am a Broncosforums writer....just a lazy one. If the other writers/Chaz/mods feel that this should be moved somewhere else then I have no problem with it and I apologize for the inconvenience.

http://thesouthern.com/sports/football/article_661d20ce-c6a0-11de-97ee-001cc4c03286.html

SHG too much for Carbondale

By Mike Dahmane (That would be me :D), The Southern | Posted: Sunday, November 1, 2009 1:00 am
BLOOMINGTON - The Carbondale Terriers faced off with the Sacred Heart-Griffin Cyclones during the first round of the IHSA playoffs on Halloween.

Unfortunately for Carbondale, the Cyclones started the game off on a hot streak and never looked back in route to their 48-21 victory.

Sacred Heart-Griffin halted the Terriers' first possession of the game and forced a three-and-out. Zach Rockford, a return man for SHG, returned the punt for a touchdown. The Terriers went on to convert a fourth-and-two and their offense was running well until starting quarterback Max Crouse threw his first of two interceptions.

The lone Terrier touchdown came from a heads up play by Ed Pickett. Pickett scooped up a Sacred Heart fumble and returned it for a touchdown. Pickett put on an encore performance and recovered a second fumble inside the Cylcones' ten yard line and almost scored his second touchdown of the game.

Despite Pickett's defensive prowess, the game got out of hand. The running clock rule was initiated after the Cyclones' wideout Jarrod Sergent caught a touchdown pass with 27 seconds left in the second quarter. Sergent's touchdown gave Griffin a 48-7 lead.

According to Dan Koester, Carbondale's coach, playoff inexperience may have had something to do with the Terriers performance.

"We made mistakes, mental errors hurt us. I tell the guys to act like you've been here before, but they haven't," Koester said.

While Carbondale took a beating, it's important to remember that his was a game of two halves. The first half showed the Terriers aren't ready to compete for a title right now. But, the second half showed that it won't be long before the Terriers are ready to stand toe-to-toe with a team like SHG.

It should be noted that in the second half of the game, SHG only had its starters on the field for the last play of the game. That being said, what the Terriers did was still impressive.

Entering halftime, Terriers standout halfback Kendell Edwards ran for a total of 34 yards, zero touchdowns and a 2.6 yards per carry average.

At the end of the game Edwards pulled his yards per carry average to 3.8, ran for two touchdowns and 117 yards. The Terriers held the potent Cyclone offense to zero second half points.

Despite a disappointing end of their season, the Terriers did reach their number one goal, the playoffs.

"Our number one goal this year was to make the playoffs," said Koester.

Now that the Terriers have met their goal they have a new one; to make a deeper run into the playoffs.

"Our goal next year is to play football in November," said Koester.

MasterShake
11-02-2009, 12:26 PM
Thats awesome! I loved writing for my college newspaper, but its hard to break into the market in Denver on any meaningful level. I wrote for local publications and did some editorials but its been a while. Nothing quite as cool as getting your work out there for all to see. Its a great validation to get published online or otherwise, so congrats again!:salute:

CoachChaz
11-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Yeah, I sent a few things locally in the past as well, but D/FW works completely on the "good ole boy" system it seems

Poet
11-02-2009, 01:01 PM
Yeah, I sent a few things locally in the past as well, but D/FW works completely on the "good ole boy" system it seems

Getting a job is going to suck.

slim
11-02-2009, 01:12 PM
Congrats man...nice work.

Dreadnought
11-02-2009, 01:20 PM
Good Job Mike - keep it up!

West
11-02-2009, 03:06 PM
Good job, bro!

Dortoh
11-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Thats awesome King :salute:

Northman
11-02-2009, 03:31 PM
Great deal King, well done (in gladiator voice, lol)

Devilspawn
11-02-2009, 05:15 PM
By Mike Dahmane (That would be me :D),
Great article.

You Dahmane!!

WTE
11-02-2009, 08:36 PM
Excellent job King. :beer:

I enjoyed it. I especially liked this part:

According to Dan Koester, Carbondale's coach, playoff inexperience may have had something to do with the Terriers performance.

"We made mistakes, mental errors hurt us. I tell the guys to act like you've been here before, but they haven't," Koester said

That was a great quote by the Coach and you captured it.

I don't even know the Carbondale Coach but I like him.

frauschieze
11-02-2009, 10:44 PM
:addsinfotostalkerbook:

Seriously though, nice job. I'm sure it's gratifying to see something you've written in print, especially when it was written for dough and isn't school related. Keep it up!

Poet
11-03-2009, 12:18 AM
Excellent job King. :beer:

I enjoyed it. I especially liked this part:

"We made mistakes, mental errors hurt us. I tell the guys to act like you've been here before, but they haven't," Koester said

That was a great quote by the Coach and you captured it.

I don't even know the Carbondale Coach but I like him.
Dude's a monster. He will get his team there, the guys he played have won the title three times in the past five years. The fact that they stood up their second stringers who are actually better than most team's starters is impressive.