PDA

View Full Version : The new punter sucks big time.

underrated29
11-02-2009, 11:27 AM
No this is not a hate thread, josh, jay, this sucks that sucks we should all die type thread.

The only thing that is a big glaring weakness is the new punter.

He gets the ball off slower than anyone i have ever seen. At first it looks like ok Balt punt rush is just really good. Afterall they were after Orton all day. But then you see that its actually the punter.

When the kickers get the ball they take a step and boot it. Berger, here takes 3 steps. He has the slowest delivery i have ever seen for a punter. I am telling you now, we are going to have a bunch of blocked punts if we dont trash him now.

He gets the snap, takes a step, takes another big step, then takes another step while he is about to kick. On almost all our punts i held my breath, and actually how many should have been blocked.

One went through rays arms, one was just missed by the guy, another guy got there ran into our K but didnt get in the way.

The rest of the team is fine. But this new punter is beyond Horrible for us. Not for distance, outkicking coverage or anything else. For his wind up and delivery. This will cost us a td next game ( i promise!)

Northman
11-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Seeing that live in person i was pretty disappointed by the punter. What the hell were they thinking?

underrated29
11-02-2009, 11:30 AM
Seeing that live in person i was pretty disappointed by the punter. What the hell were they thinking?

I understand if kern was out kicking coverage. But how did they not see the 4 second wind and release from this guy when they worked him out. I doubt, he lasts past the pitts game. (meaning i think we cut him after that game).

Nothing wrong with the guy or his punts, but he is a liability getting it off. I would rather kyle throw a 45 yard int, then watch this guy punt.

BCJ
11-03-2009, 02:56 AM
no, his punts pretty sucked until the 4th Q. He kicked one about 25 yards to midfield. He was horrible. If you saw the game, this is all you need to know. Colquitt had a good preseason. His brother has a job in KC, I am sure he can do better than Berger.

shank
11-03-2009, 03:00 AM
i was majorly disappointed. an uber vet should be somewhat consistent at this point in his career, but berger was all over the place.

if we're punting from our 45, i'd rather see bret kern kick it into the endzone than berger not even be able to get it to the opponent's 20 yard line...

colquitt should have been brought back 10 times before berger. i don't like jumping to conclusions, but as bad as kern was kicking the ball, berger was worse... and like others have said, i see many blocks in the future if he is our punter. he got as lucky as i've ever seen a punter get on that one that went through the defender's hands and helmet.

sneakers
11-03-2009, 07:46 AM
eh, it's only one game....Elam missed two field goals pretty badly last night, that guy must really suck too.

broncofaninfla
11-03-2009, 08:27 AM
It's early but it looks like cutting Kern was a mistake. Kern looked good for Tenn and Berger, well Berger looked like a punter who has been cut by several NFL teams for a reason...

frauschieze
11-03-2009, 09:31 AM
eh, it's only one game....Elam missed two field goals pretty badly last night, that guy must really suck too.

Do not mistake past glory for current performance.

TXBRONC
11-03-2009, 10:36 AM
It's early but it looks like cutting Kern was a mistake. Kern looked good for Tenn and Berger, well Berger looked like a punter who has been cut by several NFL teams for a reason...

If I'm not mistaken he hasn't punted since last February so maybe he was just a little rusty. That's what I hope it was.

broncofaninfla
11-03-2009, 11:06 AM
If I'm not mistaken he hasn't punted since last February so maybe he was just a little rusty. That's what I hope it was.

He defintely won't outkick the coverage unit with 25-30 yard punts. I hope he was rusty as well...

slim
11-03-2009, 11:20 AM
He has 804 punts in his career...with only 3 blocked punts.

I am guessing maybe he was a little rusty?

D1g1tal j1m
11-03-2009, 11:59 AM
We picked up Berger because his punts tend to stay in the air a few seconds longer than Kerns and allowing our coverage teams a chance to surround the returner and force a fair catch (which almost never happened when Kern kicked here). He looked very rusty and it seemed like he was consciously trying to kick the ball cleanly (ala practice punts) which can be expected seeing that he hasn't punted in a real game for awhile. Hopefully he has gotten used to game day action and will improve in getting his punts off a little quicker, but I like that the returners had to wave fair catch. Our coverage units have been horrible the last few games (especially the kick off units) and anything that helps them is a plus.

weazel
11-03-2009, 11:59 AM
did we need two punter trashing threads?

shank
11-03-2009, 01:19 PM

good job slim. this point made me feel douchey, and i looked at it.

even though it seemed like he was punting terribly on sunday, his net average was actually 2 yards higher than kern's has been this season.

with him not playing for a while, i'm sure he will get his leg back and start hitting them with greater consistency, and the upgrade will actually be noticeable.

weazel
11-03-2009, 01:26 PM

I hope he was the freaking tin man.

TXBRONC
11-03-2009, 02:06 PM
We picked up Berger because his punts tend to stay in the air a few seconds longer than Kerns and allowing our coverage teams a chance to surround the returner and force a fair catch (which almost never happened when Kern kicked here). He looked very rusty and it seemed like he was consciously trying to kick the ball cleanly (ala practice punts) which can be expected seeing that he hasn't punted in a real game for awhile. Hopefully he has gotten used to game day action and will improve in getting his punts off a little quicker, but I like that the returners had to wave fair catch. Our coverage units have been horrible the last few games (especially the kick off units) and anything that helps them is a plus.

Even punters and kicker need to get their timing down.